The Rollbar solution comprises of:
- Software Development Kits (SDKs) for all major programming languages, which are open source and used for instrumenting applications to detect and report errors to the Rollbar platform. Instrumenting is easy and takes minutes to complete. The SDKs come with various configuration options including for data scrubbing to prevent sensitive data from being sent to Rollbar.
- A proprietary fingerprinting and analysis engine, which receives, processes, and makes sense of billions of error occurrences per month, and significantly boosts the signal-to-noise ratio, a common challenge in monitoring. The error grouping feature can be customized to meet your specific needs.
- A full-featured workflow application that notifies developers of errors instantly as they occur, through the web-based real-time error feed interface, or via alerts sent to tools like Slack, PagerDuty, or email. Tasks can be distributed by assigning errors to specific members of a team. Rollbar comes with extensive integrations with other software tools that comprise your complete software development workflow, including Github, Jenkins, JIRA, and more, and a full-featured API.
- A data collection engine that brings together all data useful for debugging purposes, formatted in ways that save the developer time. The data and contextual metadata includes stack traces, request parameter values, local variable values, and various metrics such as users impacted, browser, region, OS, and more. If you enable source control integration, you also get links from the stack trace to relevant lines of code in your code repository, as well as useful information on deployments relating to the error. There is also a SQL-like interface called Rollbar Query Language (RQL) for custom data analysis.
- Various features for data protection, security, and privacy, and easier administration in large organizations. This includes encryption at rest, enterprise-grade audit and security controls, SAML SSO for login, SCIM provisioning, and more. Rollbar is compliant with stringent industry standards, such as HIPAA in the U.S., EU GDPR, and is ISO27001 and CSA STAR certified.
Team Rollbar--I LOVE you guys and your wonderful service! This review is far too long overdue.
Let me save you a bunch of time and make the decision for you. If you're not already using an error tracking platform, you must. If you're deciding between which services to use, just go with Rollbar, and stop deliberating.
Rollbar is hands-down, THE BEST full-stack application error and exception monitoring/tracking system.
I was an early user and first started using Rollbar in early 2012 (back when it was still called Ratchet.io). Suffice it to say, it has completely transformed and leveled-up the way I build and write applications.
Rollbar is now a must-have for any application I build. TDD? Yeah, could do that, or you can just be more lean and start building, and Rollbar will catch all of your exceptions for you. Large team? Even more so that you need Rollbar, so that you can detect and fix errors before they inconvenience your users.
Here are the reasons for why I think Rollbar is great:
Rollbar has an exceptional, world-class team. Rollbar is built by engineers, for engineers. I know because I've worked with a few folks at team Rollbar, including the founder/CEO Brian Rue, who has been a mentor and advisor to me at a few startups, and some of my elite former colleagues who were hand-picked to join the Rollbar team. They are extremely talented hackers and engineers.
Rollbar scales, an is extremely reliable. We're not just talking Mickey Mouse pretend scale, but they actually do. Guess what? Unlike most of the rest of the web, they're actually NOT primarily an AWS-based stack (yeah, because AWS outages can cause large chunks of the web to fail). Rollbar is in multiple data centers across the world for improved
I have been using Rollbar for about 3 years now, and I have to say it has made my life a lot easier. They have a ton of platform integrations, but I have only integrated this service in Android and PHP projects. For most programming languages, they have their own API, but this product seems to be so popular that people are even writing wrappers around the API for frameworks.
Eg see https://github.com/jenssegers/laravel-rollbar
I would definitely recommend this to anyone, especially because they also have an 'always free' formula, which gives you the opportunity to try it out.
Customer support is really decent, they're usually replying to your requests in 2 hours or less. And I'm not even in their timezone.
It's really easy to use, there's a ton of wrappers available for any programming language / framework, and they have an 'always free' formula, which I use for my personal projects
As with any online product, I don't like to pay :) But other than that, I can't say anything bad about it. And as I said, they have a free formula, which is great if you're just working on a small personal project
I'd never really done any log management things untill my CTO brought this product to our application suite. The time this has saved us is just incredible. The main features that really help:
Grouping of Logs - Groups together errors so you don't get spammed. There have been a time or two this has worked against me, but overall it really helps. Not to mention, you can resolve errors and they'll pop back up if they happen again, so you know if something is really broken or just a one off developer bug.
Stacktrace and Local variables - Really helps that they include the full stack trace, and if you choose, can display local variables you inject. This has made it so easy to setup some debugging features and then let them go. For those really weird bugs that you really can't seem to nail down a cause for.
Environment Separation - Really helps to tell between a production (oh no! Lets fix this!) or a staging (fix it before pushing) kinda errors.
I don't think I could go back to any other debugging method. In the very least, Rollbar always gives me a place to start using xdebug. At the most, I look at the information and know exactly what went wrong, and can fix it. Great product!
Stacktrace with local variables
Something the grouping can work too well, and errors that are different actually get grouped together. The standards can be a little hard to figure out, and there are multiple ways to do everything.
Motivating time saver
April 01, 2017 12:38
I'm a Rollbar user since the very beginning of the project. Before Rollbar I've switched a few ways of dealing with logs.
First, I was just reading logs when needed with tail and getting a weekly batch of errors by email. That was OK for local development and tiny projects but for bigger deployments that were useless because the amount of data.
Then I've found some offline log aggregation tools and these were OK but still required exporting logs, running these tools and checking results. Rollbar automates all that. You're getting a realtime picture of your errors. You can sort messages by the number of occurrences thus getting a good list to work on.
Another fun part is how it charges you. The more errors you have the more you pay. Rollbar motivates you to fix things to pay less.
At first, I've tried it in personal projects then in a huge commercial project that is already running for more than 7 years. Rollbar saved me hundreds of hours and I'm glad I've stumbled upon it back then.
Saves time. Usability. Features.
One in half a year there's a lag between sending an error and seeing it analyzed. Not a big issue though.
We're Rollbar customers for a about two years, moved to Rollbar after trying few other log aggregation services but none of them had features we needed or didn't deliver on their promise.
We're using Ruby on Rails, integration was a breeze, started receiving error messages in less than 5 minutes. The interface is easy to use, live feed works great showing errors as they come up, resolving issues and tracking deploys flows works perfectly. Also I can't recall when Rollbar had downtime or a bug, yet we see new gem releases regularly. I wish other services we use had such a robust infrastructure as Rollbar do.
Also I'd like to mention their exceptional support, with very quick responses from highly qualified agents that solve your problems spot on.
With Rollbar tools we manage to resolve majority of the issues as they happen, before customers contact our support teams.
Uptime, easy to use api, live feed, rql, people tracking, exceptional support
Unified dashboard between projects would be great, but can be implemented with their api
Below are some frequently asked questions for Rollbar.
Rollbar offers the following pricing plans:
Starting from: USD 49.00/month
Pricing model: Free, Subscription
Free Trial: Available
Rollbar offers the following features:
Rollbar has the following typical customers:
Freelancers, Large Enterprises, Mid Size Business, Small Business
Rollbar supports the following languages:
Rollbar has the following pricing plans:
We do not have any information about what devices Rollbar supports
Rollbar integrates with the following applications:
Clubhouse, GitHub, HipChat, JIRA Software, Natero, PagerDuty, Pivotal Tracker, Rippling, Slack, Workato
Rollbar offers the following support options:
FAQs, Knowledge Base, Online Support, Phone Support