Mavenlink

3.9/5
4.2/5

559 Software options

Heather H.

Great company and product - still room to grow but on the right track!

Reviewed on 31/10/2021

The product has brought our processes to the next level and the overall experience has been positive.

Pros

Resource planning was made 1000% better by using the Mavenlink product. It is an intuitive modern UI that is feature rich across the board.

Cons

There are some gaps in the product and areas where I wish it had been more configurable. For instance, invoicing could use more flexibility in terms of how you build out an invoice (and how you display things on the invoice). Also, time tracking is easy but notes aren't required nor is there a config to make them required which has been a big pain for us.

Kimble and FinancialForce PSA

Reasons for Choosing Mavenlink

OpenAir is a horribly overly complex product with a very clunky resource planning module. In addition, NetSuite is now owed by Oracle and their responsiveness in terms of improved product features has come to a halt. Mavenlink's product is a breath of fresh air after OpenAir.

NetSuite OpenAir

Reasons for Switching to Mavenlink

Because of it's ease of use and company culture.
Kevin C.

Too complicated time entry

Reviewed on 02/11/2021

Too complicated as an end user just trying to get my time entered.

Pros

There's a lot of functionality at the higher up space

Cons

As a user who enters their time the time entry screen is an extremely overcomplicated experience.

It should be as simple as picking a project, sub-code and then entering time. My experience so far is vastly overcomplicated with different places and ways to enter it. I came from using harvest to track time and their weekly view with a row of the project and code i use frequently is most excellent.

Abhishek K.

Efficient and easy to use project, timesheet and allocation management tool

Reviewed on 09/10/2021

The overall experience of using mavenlink has been outstanding. Timesheet and project management has never been easier. The resource and allocation management are charm and a time-saver.

Pros

* Resource Allocation features
* Billing/non-billing time tracking and monitoring
* Timesheet management features
* Workflow management
* Report and Analytics features
* Customer support

Cons

Not much of a con, but ease of use is something that could be improved. In our organization also, we give a small session to any new mavenlink user before onboarding them on the software

Stefano A.

The Ultimate Services & Operations Management Software

Reviewed on 25/04/2019

The only way to describe this would be "It has been and still is fun to work with". It's a great piece of software, and once you get used to its logic you will be able to do great things - and by great things I mean measure exactly how much you sell your services for and how much resources you are actually using.
This, plus see employee performance, project performance, you can create custom fields to cover for any special requirement.

Pros

- Integrations and API - An excellent Salesforce bridge is available and can be fully customised (if you know Java!). You also get other connectors for Jira, Slack, and an API that allows you to do virtually anything.

- Integrated GoodData reporting - If you are technical enough you can improve your workflows by adding custom fields and creating custom metrics. I used this solution to monitor the performances of the entire Professional Services team at Emarsys.

- The software itself is essentially like Microsoft Project but online and with conversations & invoices generation - you can manage anything from a very small and basic project to a massive 2 years project thanks to the versatile task management interface. GANTT charts are available and, of course, if you know how to use GoodData you can dig even further into the project reports.

- Resourcing wise it has a Master Planning tool which looks a bit like Resource Guru but completely integrated with the software, so you are really buying the full package with Mavenlink.

Cons

I believe the biggest flaw in Mavenlink is the absence of a "real" administrator. Essentially, you can be an admin but if a project is set to "Invitation only" you cannot join it unless someone invites you.

So being a Mavenlink admin is not like being a Jira admin where you can do anything you want, you are more of a "open projects administrator".

The workaround is to have an integration user creating the projects and a good integration with your CRM that allows you to update fields that would be otherwise not accessible.
Mind that you can still remove the integration user from the project, and at that point the only way to re-enter the project is to ask the project lead to invite you.
This should clear any security concerns, if your projects require extreme privacy.

Mackenzie P.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

A steep learning curve

Reviewed on 08/08/2019

Mavenlink is not a bad service. it does keep everything you need to manage a project in one place, as well as help you track hours spent on various tasks within projects and organize a timeline. It is somewhat difficult to use and difficult to learn how to use - I don't find it very user friendly or intuitive. I'm still getting over this learning curve, since I'm new to using the software, and will likely find that it becomes easier over time. At least I really hope it does.

Pros

Mavenlink is a great way to keep track of everything you need for multiple projects across various areas. Budget burn is clear to see, it's easy enough to add and message people on a project. Easy enough to track time, develop timelines, break projects down into tasks, etc. Good for very type A people who like to extremely organize everything.

Cons

It creates a lot of work for project managers. A lot goes into designing a project and filling it out, which is very time consuming. There is also a steep learning curve, especially if you are adapting to Mavenlink after being used to different systems. The trainings were somewhat helpful, but long, boring and repetitive. While it does keep everything in one place, it is difficult to adapt to using it where you would have used email, Skype messenger, google docs, etc. especially if you're working with colleagues who are not so technologically savvy.

Murali K.

Mavenlink is a very advanced project management tool for medium as well as huge enterprises.

Reviewed on 26/01/2019

Pros

The application is very stable and you will find a lot of features to work with. In comparison to other tools, the features provided are more advanced and data-driven with high emphasis on metrics. I just love the dashboard, it helps you to keep track of all the official meetings and interactions and with mavenlink, you can build superb reports. It helps in collaborating with tasks from start to end of each project. You can set updates as notifications to your mail id, so you would get to know of the status o different projects. We can set these notifications for clients too, so they would get to know the proceedings and status o each task.If you hate opening multiple tabs like me, you can use this Gantt chart tool which I should say is the best feature!

Cons

One of the biggest turn off is that we take a lot of time to get started with the system like to set up and install. The date has been set in US formats which had been an issue to us, hope they do something about it. I found it really difficult to trace back archived projects cause you have to know the exact name of the respective project to get them traced back!

Alex U.

Mavenlink is feature rich and user friendly

Reviewed on 16/04/2021

Mavenlink has been a feature-rich tool that has been adaptable to our unique model.

Pros

Mavenlink has a lot of custom features and functionality which was an important factor in that we needed to find a tool that met our many custom processes and workflows.

Cons

Mavenlink does not allow customers to see budget in hours or dollars, so clients can't see any sort of project burndown. New features and functionality are slow to be released, but for a platform its size, ML does a decent job of staying on top of squashing bugs.

Dave H.

Corporate user review

Reviewed on 27/08/2021

I really enjoy mavenlink but I see so much more potential and I keep asking them to make simple changes that would absolutely rock the software into the next phase of a PSA but I don't ever get a response.

Pros

I like the ease of use and the simple layout of mavenlink

Cons

I wish there was a way to put non-billable time into projects such as accountants time on invoicing, marketing, and finance. These items are the bleed on a project if you don't factor them into the profitability margin.

Smartsheet

Reasons for Switching to Mavenlink

it integrated into our QuickBooks.
Jennifer M.

Increased capabilities for our company as a whole

Reviewed on 12/11/2021

I really like both the time tracking and invoicing modules. I find them to be pretty flexible and easy to use. Some other areas require more manual work than I'd like, but overall, we are happy with Mavenlink and can live with the things we don't like.

Pros

I like the ease of updating time tracking and making changes after the fact. I like the ability to quickly see project run rate and status. Our last CRM had very limited skills and resourcing capabilities, and so this was both one of the big reasons why we switched to ML and one of the best things about the product.

Cons

I don't like the limitations on setting boundaries on projects. Mavenlink requires much more manual work than our last CRM in the invoicing and expense categories. There are some things that just don't make sense to me, like having the ability to mark expenses as paid. We've had to create a tracking system outside of ML in order to deal with expenses. I also don't like that administrators can't update/edit expenses.

Frank Z.
  • Industry: Building Materials

One of the top project management solutions out there

Reviewed on 14/02/2017

We've been utilizing mavenlink for over 4 years and I have nothing but great things to say it. They've come a long way from 4 years ago and there's been many updates and improvements that pretty much covers everything you would need in order to manage any projects with team members across the globe or locally. It's a very robust solution that makes things easier to communicate with team members, assign tasks, dead lines, create templates for projects and even involve your client to review the progress and comment. It also intergerates with Google Apps which is great and you can easily sync your tasks on to your google calendar and attach email communications.

any firm that focuses on team projects should give mavenlink a try.

Pros

simple to you use, assigning tasks, creating templates, mobile friendly, integration with google apps.

Cons

not much we can think of.

Good value all around

Reviewed on 26/01/2021

Pros

The tool is quite easy to learn and is very intuitive. It was easy to set up and customer support was great (at least in 2016 - we've been clients for almost 5 years). It integrates with a few other platforms like Salesforce and can be customized using API. In addition, it provides client access and we see constant improvements.

Cons

Two biggest concerns:
1. You can't perform mass actions on tasks/milestones/issues. I.e. if you need to update multiple tasks with the same dates or status or assignee - you can't do it. You'll need to edit each task manually.
2. There are issues with email notifications - there were a few outages last year that resulted in delayed notifications which impacted our work.

Nick D.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Good time management SaaS solution

Reviewed on 21/09/2019

Pros

- Mavenlink allows us to bill times to projects and individual tasks.
- Can see time spent against the project budget

Cons

- The task assignment and updating via Outlook is clunky, and it feels like it could do with some refinement.

Brandon D.
  • Industry: Insurance

Robust Project Management

Reviewed on 28/04/2017

Mavenlink would be an outstanding solution for anyone in need of organizational assistance. It's flexible enough to meet unique requirements, yet robust in ways that allow for in-depth project management.

Pros

• Campaign-based invitations allowing only relevant team members access to specific projects
• Details, Checklists, Notes, Proofs, etc. for each individual task
• Post (and pin) overviews, descriptions, files, and comments to the Activity Feed to keep all team members informed
• Task-related Time-tracking, Budgeting, and Resource Planning for all types of team members
• Proofs section for collaborative reviews

Cons

• Beginners may be overwhelmed with so many options and use-cases. However, the organization of tools and the vast availability of features and documentation help the user establish their own workflow that fits their unique individual needs.

David P.

Mavenlink will save you tons of time and money!

Reviewed on 01/07/2016

Mavenlink is pretty awesome! Though it can seem a bit pricey, the tool itself covers a wide array of what our company needs on a daily basis: from project management to billing integration with our Quickbooks. When it comes customer service, you can get ahold of chat service within seconds any day or time of the week.

Pros

Project Management
Milestone Management
Task Management
Resource Management
Invoicing
Planning
App integration

Cons

Mobile app still needs work
Pricey, but not that much in the grand scheme of things.
Needs better scheduling views such as calendar or kanban style options

• Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Perfect for a growing business

Reviewed on 26/09/2018

Mavenlink is a wonderful software to use if you are looking for an easy-to-use project management tool.

Pros

Mavenlink is easy to use and fairly intuitive. We've had no problems with the software and they are making monthly updates to add new and useful features based on customer feedback. Project tracking is the primary reason we use Mavenlink and our workflow has never been better. I really don't know how we managed without Mavenlink before.

Cons

The main issue we are having with this software currently is when it comes to deadlines changing. At this time you can update the project deadline but non of the project related tasks will readjust to the updated deadline.

Amy B.

I find Mavenlink to be intuitive and rich in interesting features!

Reviewed on 10/11/2017

This has streamlined project management within our agency, and made us more efficient with our time dedicated to project planning.

Pros

I like that I can create templates for projects and groupings of tasks. I also like that I can export just about any information I need to an Excel spreadsheet/CSV file.

Cons

I don't like the automatic update to move a date out in Gantt view when I'm trying to create a dependency for a task following a task before it that occurs on the same day. It's pretty annoying.

Amy O.

Great customer service from the Mavenlink team

Reviewed on 09/11/2016

I've been using Mavenlink for about a month now and I'm really liking the tool. I manage a team of 8 x Account Executives for a Marketing Firm that deals with multiple people billing work on the same customers. As a manager, I've liked the reporting aspect. I suggest adding a feature voting tool so that people can vote on features they need added the most. I have a lot of suggestions. =)

Pros

Clean look and feel.

Cons

It's not as user-friendly as I would like. I wish it was easier to be reminded about tasks. I'm new to the software so there is still a lot that I have left to learn.

Andrew T.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Great for timesheets and project management

Reviewed on 24/05/2019

It was a great software for my timesheets and project management. It was great for inputting time,
managing project due dates and milestones, storing calendars and uploading images if needed to share as well. I would recommend for small to medium sized businesses.

Pros

I used Mavenlink for 2 years for my timesheets and project management. It was great for inputting time,
managing project due dates and milestones, storing calendars and more. It also stores pdfs for storyboards and other image sharing.

Cons

It could be a little cleaner interface for navigating to different categories. But it was mostly pretty user friendly for my needs.

Adam E.
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

We have been very impressed with Mavenlink so far. As an agile consulting company, we need...

Reviewed on 27/04/2017

This is far more than a project management app. This is a complete enterprise management platform.

Pros

Mavenlink provides an off the shelf cloud based business operations system that complements our business model well. We took advantage of the MavenOPs onboarding support feature as well and have been very well supported as we transition our current systems and projects into Mavenlink. Its ease of use, comprehensive support and economic price point delivers a comprehensive enterprise planning and reporting suite at a fraction of the costs of larger (more cumbersome) systems.

The level of support from the Mavenlink team is really impressive.

Cons

I would like to be able to white label email notifications and organic Xero integration but when weighed up with the pros these fade into irrelevance. And that is saying something for us as we rely so much on integration.

Grace W.

Quick communication

Reviewed on 10/04/2020

Great and very easy to navigate. I can send messages quick and get responses just as quick.

Pros

During these trying times and WFH the Mavenlink has made my life so much more easier to communicated with my peers.

Cons

So far, I have had no issues. Everything in Mavelink has been working smoothly. Keep up the good work!

Thomas H.

So call me a Mavenlink evangelist...

Reviewed on 18/12/2015

We use Mavenlink to manage dozens of concurrent project engagements across a number of development teams. I appreciate the elegance of the UI, the ease with which we were able to implement it in our organization, the flexibility and built-in reporting capabilities of the core product. Rate cards and financials integration is well done, and resource planning continues to be improved with intelligent updates. I highly recommend the Business Insights add-on; the extended reporting capabilities are well-thought-out.

As important as the product capabilities are, the staff at Mavenlink are superb - Our Client Success rep is communicative, super-responsive and was exceptionally helpful when we cut over from our old tools for time tracking and task management.

Pros

Excellent built-in reporting, easy to set up for all members of the team. Does a great job with task, project, and role-level budgeting and financial reporting.

Cons

Doesn't retain customized views in the Gantt mode. Resource planning is good, but not quite there yet in terms of plotting multiple concurrent and projected engagements at the role level - but they're working on it. Converting estimated hours to scheduled hours works, but isn't as effortless as it could be.

Desiree C.
  • Industry: Research

Continuum Clinical

Reviewed on 29/10/2021

Good experience.

Pros

Ease of use. Convenience. Great for tracking project specific time. Tool can be used to determine resourcing, etc.

Cons

Not applicable. The product is great for what I use it for.

Ridhdhi M.

I recommend Mavenlink

Reviewed on 07/01/2021

Pros

Mavenlink helps me track the progress and budgets for my projects. It's easy to use and I like the many different reports that I can pull from the tool.

Cons

There are a lot of features to this tool and I haven't taken time to digest all of those capabilities.

I'm a Director of PM for our agency and we've been using Mavenlink for about 2 and a half...

Reviewed on 16/01/2018

-Consistency
-One place for all work
-Data collection

Pros

-Data it collects and represents
-Complete PM package
-Communications abilities
-Scalability and repeatability

Cons

-Speed is an issue
-In some cases, usability is an issue
-Could be more visually appealing
-Role management is too complex

Nicole S.

Mavenlink for the win!

Reviewed on 11/09/2020

Pros

Love that I can sync time into Quickbooks for invoicing. Also love it for time tracking and project management.

Cons

Sub-tasks do not pull over into QB for billing, which makes it hard to group and subtotal.