Canvas LMS Reviews

Canvas LMS

Learning Management System for Schools, Colleges and Universities

4.5/5 (544 reviews)

Site is satisfactory, app needs work

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Pros

I've been a full-time student for the past 10 years and all the institutions that I've been attending have used canvas to post grades and make announcements. I have never had any complaints about the online website. It is easy to customize the main page to see exactly which courses you are in and it gives you the ability to arrange them in the order that you see fit, with your most important classes place in the more visible areas of the website. On the right side of the page there is an announcement bar where updates from your professors are easily seen and any new grades that have been posted are showing as well. Canvas also gives the professors the ability to organize students into groups for certain projects and also too give quizzes and tests. Professors also can upload PowerPoints, handouts, and other sources of material, which are easily downloaded through the website which automatically packs all the files, if multiple, into a zip file for your convenience. Overall, I've had a good experience with canvas and I would recommend it to institutions that are looking for a reliable, convenient way to communicate to students and facilitate courses online.

Cons

I don't really have any negative things to say about the software itself. The only issues that I have had are with the app, which I have used both on Android and Apple devices. When clicking on pop-up notifications for new grades being posted or sometimes other announcements, the app opens but it does not take you to the desired notification. When faced with a blank screen, you need to restart the app and manually go to where the notification was trying to direct you.

Joshua C.

A Revolutionary Aid to Learning

Reviewed on 08/01/2019

Pros

I have used canvas at both my previous college and my current one which I transferred to, for both classes which were taken entirely on the platform (online classes) and classes where it was used as an aid. The ability to see an up to date schedule for your classes, contact instructors, revisit old modules, submit assignments online, view and respond to instructor feedback... It's completely changed the game. It's become an intrinsic part of my routine to check canvas everyday. You can also customize what alerts you want to see, so if your instructor gives you feedback or sends an alert out you can get an email straight away.

The app is also fantastic and very convenient!

If you're an instructor and you don't use canvas, I worry that I won't be able to see important changes in time. Plus, feedback is relegated to the old fashioned, penciled in way of the early 2000s. We're better than that now, in no small part due to Canvas, which has genuinely revolutionized the medium learning takes.

Cons

There was one brief time this year where they pushed an update that made it so one of my instructors would see some error message when they clicked on my file submission, even though they were able to successfully download the file. They patched that quickly!

Overall, it turns of lasting cons, canvas has tried very hard to become irreplaceable, and they've succeeded. My only problem is when instructors aren't tech oriented, and so don't understand how to set up a course shell, but that's not canvas' fault.

Has its limits, but still the best out there

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 11/10/2018

There is a paid version that you can do too. It's very expensive, and we found it still didn't quite meet our needs. For universities it probably would do the trick, but if you're a small education program, stick with Free for Teacher. Even with its little hassles, Canvas is still the best online classroom you can find out there.

Pros

We use the Free for Teacher edition. When it comes to setting up courses, having assignments, files, students, deadlines, and grades set up, it's pretty simple. Not a lot of trouble getting things put together. You can integrate videos, there's a conference capability called Big Blue Button that allows all the members of the course to video in with each other and you can share screen and everything. It has been a big help allowing our students to have a portal to do their assignments, and connect with everyone in the class.

Cons

One of the nuances to Canvas that is difficult is limiting what teachers can see. By that I mean we have two different types of courses that we run.

One is an individual cohort of a few students and a director. The only way to make these closed down to just these members is to create a duplicate of the course and put those members in. Not a terrible thing, but then the courses start to stack up with all the different cohorts you have going. Plus, there's not really a way to have any updates filter down into all the same semester courses. So if we want to make an update on Semester 1, we have to go into each individual course and update it. There's also no way to update deadlines when you copy a course. So I have to change every assignment's due date so it fits in the new semester's timeline.

The other kind of course that we have is an open course that anyone can jump into, and then we assign a TA to grade certain students. The problem with this is that there's no way to limit the TA's view of who is in the course. So it shows them that there are dozens of students' work that needs to be graded in their To-Do List and makes it difficult for them to know when their assigned students have actually submitted anything. Haven't been able to find a work around for this yet.

7.0/10

College course management program for students, faculty, and staff

Reviewed on 02/01/2019

Pros

After my university switched over to Canvas as the preferred course management software, I was happy to finally have a user-friendly interface to work with. The menu is not cluttered and all tabs and icons are easy to find. One of the main advantages of Canvas is the ability to easily sync a school email account and get live notifications when items and assignments are posted.

Professors can also setup calendars that help remind students of exam, project, and homework due dates. Students can also setup discussions or threads within their respective courses, which is useful when a lot of students have a similar question. Saves the professor time from having to answer 50 emails about the same question.

Cons

The notification system, both as a student and professor, is not the most efficient system. Canvas is meant to have a built-in emailing program. This creates a lot of confusion when students send messages via Canvas (which is linked to a school email account) and separately send messages directly from their school email. I've encountered times where it was not clear how to send a message directly to particular member of the course, and ended up emailing the entire class by accident.

Professors often alternate between general email notifications and "Dashboard" notifications within Canvas. It makes it confusing for students as to where exactly to look for course related information. I find this lack of streamlining for notifications to be the biggest drawback.

6.0/10
Burcu K.

Canvas - more pliable than you think

Reviewed on 26/02/2019

If administrators would like to get the most out of Canvas they have to "think outside the box"; otherwise it can get quite dull and tiresome for their users. Overall I think it is a good software which has a lot of potential.

A simple Google search revealed that many administrators like myself looked for similar additional features/options on various forums online; so I wish that the above mentioned options -and many more-could actually be integrated into Canvas by the creators for ease of use for the consumers.

Pros

People may define Canvas as "clunky" and "not very intuitive". I would agree that you need to "learn" how Canvas works, rather than quickly "figuring it out".

I personally use Canvas not for a specific "Unit of Study" but as a platform to share information & news, and communicate with among a large group of students who do not get together in a classroom. So far it has been successful. Students seem to enjoy it and I can view usage stats to see how many pages have been viewed by which student, which is great information.

The fact that it accepts HTML code made it possible for me to integrate photo slideshows and 3-d interactive photos onto my pages. I used other free software available online to create them and simply embedded into my HTML code. I do not think most users are aware of these possibilities.

Cons

Canvas has its own language which does not apply to all needs. "Pages" and "Modules", "Unit of Study" lose their meaning when Canvas is used as communication platform like I use it. I wish these "names" could be changed by the user.

Another thing that most users find a bit frustrating is the way "Modules" are displayed on one page as a list; and the constant need to scroll down to find what the user is looking for. Since this page does not really lend itself to "zjeujing up", it may look tedious for users.

Jason H.

Canvas - An Admin's Dream Come True

Reviewed on 03/11/2016

As the Learning Management System Admin for Utah Valley University, managing the use of Canvas can be challenging, but in a really good way. Whenever I run into a problem, I can usually find the answer and deploy a solution very quickly. Instructure provides a dedicated Customer Success Manager who meets with us regularly, a robust case management system, and an extremely helpful community engagement platform. Canvas is updated regularly to stay fresh on new technologies, features, and bug fixes. It's really fun to manage this system and have so much buy-in from faculty. Canvas is also on the leading edge with 3rd party integrations, data analytics, and cross-platform compatibility.

Pros

Canvas is always available. Teachers and students rarely suffer from any down time, if ever. Even with the regular updates of the platform (every 3 weeks), there is no significant downtime. The integration with our Student Information System is really good, but will soon be even better.

Cons

I wish Instructure would value the opinions of an institution's Canvas Admin over instructors. Instructors tend to not stay up to speed with an institution's policies, new government regulation, or plain common sense in some cases. There are a few specific tools that would make an admin's life much easier... like this feature idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7301

Jeramy C.

Stable, easy to use, and performs like a champ!

Reviewed on 21/12/2018

Canvas is the LMS used by my University. As an instructor, I have had the opportunity to use the softweare for about 5 years. I have also completed a degree in an online program using the tool. I have always found it to be very reliable; most challenges I have incountered have been user error and not often software error. There are many add ons to customize the software and it is pretty easy and straight forward in terms of user for both faculty and student.

Pros

Very stable and reliable. In 5 years of using the software, there are just a few times I can recall that there have been some downtime; and never more than a shot period. Canvas is a standard among universitites, and students are able to quickly learn how to use the tool and submit their coursework. They also have stellar support, 24/7. The challenges I have encourtered has been more in terms of o

Cons

There are some things that could be enganced in terms of features to make the tool even better. As Canvas is a large company, suggestions for new features goes to a board and the community votes and considerations are based on how much support from the community board. While a good way to reach people, I suspoect most people do not take the time to visit this board and read throyugh suggestions to make recomendations. Seems like they could get more info from user based focus groups who could lend insights on new features and enhancements.

Intuitive and Functional

Reviewed on 15/08/2019

Pros

Unlike other LMS software, Canvas brings you into the fold with an intuitive, customizable dashboard and practical features. Each course is its own hub, with modules easy to navigate. Instructors are able to integrate items like quizzes and media in a user-friendly way, and the application is very mobile-compatible.

Cons

The discussion post notification system could use some work, with more filters to customize what you do and don't want to see.

Emily P.

Great LMS

Reviewed on 21/02/2019

Pros

This is going to sound nerdy, but the best part about Canvas is that they care about agile development, and they have a great community of online experts who answer questions and respond to feedback about the LMS. Obviously, Canvas is built for teaching and learning in a school setting, with grades, etc. There are a lot of external integrations that work well, I am glad they have app versions.. the list goes on, but what I like MOST from an expert perspective is the kind of help they make available to users through community.canvaslms.com -- seriously they have done a great job at cultivating a thriving online community of people who want to improve the software for future users.

Cons

I wish that they had more functionality for creating dynamic pages. I feel like unless you purchase a package of design tools, they haven't made it easy for the beginning HTML / CSS designer to make courses look and feel awesome without a ton of leg work-- thus, you may see in the community a lot of suggestions of ways to use their HTML guides to make better-looking home pages or other pages. If we are paying for Canvas, I wish it would come with more user-friendly design tools.

Customizable Automation for education

Reviewed on 03/03/2019

The student and teacher relationship is strengthened and there is less barriers to seek assistance, improving student performance and teacher morale with less time grading things that have the capability of being automated. This allows for professors to spend more time helping their students versus doing "busy work".

Pros

Students and teachers can communicate with in Canvas. There is even an option to set in the login page for your institution to show your institutions logo and branding. Multiple choice quizzes can be assigned and tests and be graded automatically to allow the teachers to spend more time with student interaction instead of grading multiple choice exams. Students have expressed delight in the feature of chatting or giving feedback with their professor or classmates for a specific assignment. The easy partnering with Turnitin to check for plagiarism and integration of Pearson and McGraw-Hill makes it possible to cover bases within just Canvas.

Cons

Customer service can be slow to respond. There should be more options for the teachers to write personal notes on assignments that can be chosen to view for just the teacher, or shared with the teacher and student. The mobile app has complaints of not being very smooth.

Clean, easy, and

Reviewed on 23/08/2018

While Canvas is not perfect, it is by far the best class organization tool I have used and I can only see it improving from here.

Pros

Canvas is by far the best class organization platform I have used as a student. There are so many features, such as a calendar, grading system, discussion system, grouping system, messaging system, announcement system, file system, and more more components implemented in a clean interface for both the desktop site and mobile application, making Canvas feel like a very complete and comprehensive tool. Configuring Canvas is easy, but any snags along the way can be sorted out by contacting Canvas's excellent customer support. So long as a teacher or professor is willing to make good use of Canvas, then the tool will serve as a huge boon to both students and instructors.

Cons

A more robust and open grading system would be more useful for determining one's current or final for when teachers or professors implement less traditional grading weights and tactics. While the software is clean, certain features and pages can be convoluted to find. The file browser and downloading files could be improved and made more intuitive.

Great for Busy Students

Reviewed on 12/02/2019

Overall, I love Canvas. It makes my hectic life as a college student a bit easier every day. The fact that I can get notifications and reminders ensures that no assignments or quizzes are slipping my mind, and the ability to communicate with professors and fellow peers alike has been very helpful.

Pros

I love Canvas for multiple reasons. Firstly, I love how clean, simple, and easy to navigate this software is, whether it be on mobile or desktop. I also love how there are features such as a "To-Do" column and a "Dashboard" to use as a main hub. I use the Calendar tab every single day to reference assignments that I need to do, and how to plan for upcoming assignments! I also love that in the Calendar, students are able to add additional events and assignments professors may have mentioned in class or in an Announcement.

Cons

While software bugs are rare, I have still experienced a few in the past three years I have used Canvas. These bugs always seem to happen at very untimely moments, such as during submission of a large assignment or paper or failure to connect to another software that should work in conjuction with Canvas. However, Canvas is pretty timely in fixing these bugs.

Canvas

Reviewed on 25/07/2019

The calendar feature of Canvas helps me tremendously with making sure I stay on time and on task. This allows me to look ahead to future assignments and ensure I was always ahead.

Pros

As a student, I find Canvas to be very user-friendly. This is a great way to stay in contact with classmates and professors and how to easy find your assigned tasks for the week from your professors.

Cons

In some cases, my professor offers assignments to be resubmitted. This can then show after I submit an assignment, it is late, even though I was prompted by the professor to resubmit.

Loran P.

Canvas Learning Management System

Reviewed on 04/10/2018

Pros

There are a lot of great features about Canvas, and you have the ability to add your own personal flair to your class homepages and things of that nature. It's also a platform that my students are familiar with and have ease while using. For my school district, it is a common LMS that we have throughout the entire district, so students come to the high school having used Canvas since they were in elementary school. I like Canvas overall, but I still have a lot to learn.

Cons

The biggest con for me is that I cannot connect my Google Drive to my Canvas. I heard rumors that there may be a way to do this, but I have not studied that out yet. I would like to be able to upload Google Docs and Google Slides and the like to my assignments or home pages without having to download the document and then upload it to the Canvas assignment or files portion of my Canvas page. I also wish that personalization was a little simpler to do. It would be nice if there were different layouts to choose from or something like that. I am all for creativity and personalization.

Jessica G.

Keep me in check

Reviewed on 29/11/2018

Overall i think Canvas should be used everywhere. I have heard of other programs like Blackboard but I would prefer Canvas

Pros

I love canvas and using it for school. I like being able to see what assignments I have and when they are due. I also really like being able to mess around with the "Grade" tab and put in different grades for my assignments and see what my final grade would be. It is easy to submit assignments and resubmit and have never had problems of Canvas shutting down on me in the middle of a test of quiz.

Cons

Theres is an occasional rare glitch with the program that maybe some things I delete from the to-do list will still appear when I log in again later in the day but it eventually goes away.
The only problem with Canvas that isn't really their fault is that it depends on the professor you have and how familiar they are with the program. I can have a professor that will post all assignments and files that I will need for the day and others who will do things one at a time and not give me an accurate reading as to what my final grade would be at the end of the year.

Imelda C.

Learning Platform

Reviewed on 31/05/2019
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I was able to use and explore Canvas as a way of learning and be knowledgeable and prepared after joining an online business. A great application where different tools are present for you to learn easily and understand each topic and detailed concept. Videos are present where you can listen, see, know facts. Each video is designed to show you a topic which description is simplified and you will be able to understand the whole process faster. After each topic, there are quizzes. Passing score should be attained in order to move to the next level or lesson. If you did not meet the required score, you have to retake the test until you pass. I like it, training or schooling especially if it will be online studying can be boring , make you sleepy. But with Canvas, i enjoyed each lesson a lot. I look forward to the test because i know i was able to understand each and every message, and words are simplified.

Cons

None really, it is a learning platform that lets me engage on each activity. As a student, you learn faster that way. I just dont find any feature of having a real time communication with your teacher in the platform. You wont be able to see your co-learners on how they are performing even if you know they are also learning same topic at the same time. No stats or group standing for competition purposes or know who stands out.

Morgan C.

Probably better than the alternatives, but could still use work

Reviewed on 07/12/2018

Overall, canvas offers a lot of options with a decent user interface. It's not amazing, but it's not terrible. It has a lot of functionality for users who aren't trying to do anything fancy like embed a video into their discussion post or message a classmate.

Pros

There are lots of tools available for both students and professors (both of which I have been). Students will appreciate the task list, the module layout, and the "what-if" option for checking how the overall grade would be affected by assignment grades. Teachers will appreciate the many ways to display class performance, the speedgrader, and the ease of leaving rubric feedback.

Cons

Communication is vital, especially in online classes. Canvas sometimes sends notifications and sometimes doesn't, it's very hit or miss as to whether or not professors will be notified that students have left them a note, or students will be notified of new posts to a discussion that they've subscribed to, or that anyone will be able to send a direct message without the painfully simplistic messaging system making it too hard.

Hans H.

As a student, Canvas makes it easy to collaborate and learn

Reviewed on 02/11/2018

Overall, as a teacher and student using this software, I am highly satisfied.

Pros

I used Canvas both as a student, and as a teaching assistant, so I have seen how the software works for both of those user groups.

As a student, Canvas's UI is straightforward, well-organized, and easy to use. Using the software for 5+ years, I grew to quite like it. Inside of "Courses", you can find all of your course's files, your classmates, chats, and much much more. Never did I not find something that I thought might be useful.

As a teaching assistant, Canvas made it easy to access the gradebook and add/edit grades, view performance metrics, and talk with students. Great features, I'm sure there's plenty I'm missing.

Cons

The ONLY complaint I have with Canvas is the markup/ grading system. It is honestly much slower to grade papers submitted to Canvas on the site than it is to download, print, and grade them manually. Hopefully Canvas can save some trees and figure out how to improve their SpeedGrader product.

Mike S.

Best tool for education

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

I have used a different software meant for organizing my classes and assignments but I was so glad when my school ditched that software and switched to Canvas. It is much more user friendly and easy on the eyes.
I am grateful for the many different features available to me as a student. It helps me to be more organized and on top of my education experience. I probably would have gotten worse grades without canvas, due to the assignment reminder alone.

Pros

The best features are the ease of use. I am able to easily view which classes I am enrolled in, I can see files uploaded by the professor, I can view assignments due and see my grades. I especially love how canvas alerts me about upcoming assignments to help keep me on task. I have a bad habit or forgetting to do assignments so that is an important feature to have.

Cons

There a multiple places to upload files and some professors upload things in weird places. That is more of their error, but if there was just one place to upload all the files (lectures!p, assignments... etc) then it wouldn’t be confusing between my different classes.

Jessica H.

Canvas Review

Reviewed on 23/02/2019

I used Canvas throughout my undergrad and graduate programs. With all of the stress I was under during these years and with my busy college student schedule, it was nice to know that I could always rely on canvas for my class information.

Pros

This software is very user friendly and easily accessible for a busy college student. I was able to download the app on my phone or use it on my computer when needing to access information about my classes. The software has a variety of features that are perfect for college class settings, including posting assignments, discussion boards, files, grades, and videos/lectures. This software also has a feature that allows students to take quizzes or exams online. Additionally, it is a great way to stay connected with other students and professors with quick messages.

Cons

On some occasions, the grading feature in Canvas would not show correct or accurate grades. However, this could be solved with a quick message to the professor, in order to correct the percentage mistake.

Anupama B.

Canvas is GREAT!

Reviewed on 21/02/2019

Canvas is great fun. It has a large number of features and the feel of the software is excellent. It's a good mark of how much education has changed over the years.

Pros

I have been using Canvas for a year now and it is so efficient, I am absolutely in love with it. It has very soft features and it makes studying great fun. There are very many features and functionalities Canvas has in terms of providing students with options to explore the software. On top of that, you can customize the settings to show which courses you want to see on your feed. It is exciting to use Canvas because it teaches a lot about what good software should look and feel like.

Cons

All of my professors in college use Canvas, and although I have always thought Canvas was super user-friendly, I have come to realize that older people can find the software a little confusing to get the hang of. On some days, especially if I haven't used Canvas in a while, even I get confused as to where everything is located. Perhaps there are tutorials as to how to use Canvas on YouTube but if the developers could incorporate the tutorials in the software, I think that could be beneficial.

Needs a few tweaks

Reviewed on 26/11/2018

Canvas is the option that my school provides for viewing all classes, both in person and online only classes. The forum discussion posts and video streaming work quite well, and I've never had a problem with viewing grades or understanding assignments. However, I think the user interface could definitely be tweaked to allow for faster viewing and access to files and assignments. Sometimes the interface takes a while to load, which is frustrating when deadlines are up to the minute! However, it's been mainly a good experience.

Pros

I like the parts of the user interface that allow for viewing multiple due dates and assignments for different courses in one week. It has a great system for reminders within Canvas and email reminders. It allows for many multiple courses to be compiled in one week.

Cons

The setup for the syllabi and viewing uploaded documents is often very confusing and formats oddly, causing confusion on assignments. I've had trouble understanding when I've uploaded or submitted a document and struggle to double check it afterwards.

Casey A.

Canvas delivers safe performance and safe functionality, but is just that, too safe.

Reviewed on 07/11/2016

Canvas is the latest iteration of a classic lms. It is safe. It does exactly what people have been doing already, it does not push the envelope in any way in order to push online learning into new bounds.

If that is what you are looking for - an lms that you can use at your highly structured institution (have seen it used in both corporate and academic contexts) then this is the lms for you. It has the standard question types (MC, T/F, short-answer that you have to review) and the standard features (chat room, file repository, syllabus page, course announcements, modules with videos). It is a good iteration of this type of lms - the design is way better than Blackboard, more intuitive and appears more modern. But at the end of the day it's just 90's era e-learning.

If you are looking to try new things with online learning - if you can't rely on any in-person component to clarify issues - if you want to implement creative activities to reinforce learning -- then this is not the platform for you.

Pros

- Ease of use
- Simple to navigate
- Basic + predictable
- Great customer support

Cons

- Super basic, lack of customization ability
- Limited learning options

6.0/10
Krishna M.

Ease of use in assignment management and messaging

Reviewed on 21/08/2019

Overall, I love Canvas. Ease of use, and easy to communicate with the instructor make Canvas a great virtual classroom. I also love how I can set any notification in Canvas to come to my email or even via text message to my phone.

Pros

As a student, I use Canvas on a daily basis for my assignments and online courses I take at Cogswell. Submitting assignments is a cinch when uploading files. It's easy to send messages to students or the instructor for any questions on assignments or course-related questions. The fact that I can use it on my phone or iPad or laptop only add to the convenience.

When it comes to online courses at Cogswell, it's very easy to find the material and files for the course, by module of this week's topic. Canvas makes it easy to download any or all of the files so I can keep them as a backup.

Cons

The Canvas mobile app could use a bit of work. I have experienced intermittent app crashes and incorrect notifications.

Aaron P.

Great way to organize school work

Reviewed on 25/02/2019

Without this software, my School work would be very hard to manage as I'm a Web Developer major and all my work depends on the internet. Canvas makes it easy to submit my work and keep my schedule organized.

Pros

I liked how easy it was to organize my school work. It would show you what you needed "To-do" in the right corner and displayed it from overdue to the next due date in the physical calendar. The built-in messaging was awesome to be able to contact professors and to collaborate with other students for school projects. It also was easy to set up class chats about the chapter we had read or questions other students have posted.

Cons

It logged you out due to inactivity too quick. I would be typing a response on submission through Canvas and after finishing the response on the built-in text editor it had logged me out and all my text was lost. I would then have to type in Microsoft word from then on to ensure my text would not be lost.