Zenefits

783 Software options

Rebecca W.

User-friendly, intuitive platform

Reviewed on 29/09/2021

Pros

We tried a big-name service which was a nightmare. Our end users like how easy and intuitive it is to deal with onboarding, open enrollment, time-off requests, and payroll. As an admin, I've also found it easy to use, customize, and introduce to our team.

Cons

Customer service used to be very slow, but they have greatly improved their response time.

Doug L.

Awesome Software - Absolutely Awful Support

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Gusto is by far the best payroll, and even if you go with Zenefits I suggest you use them for payroll. Do not let Zenefits convince you to switch over. Pretty much only their sales people are responsive/friendly and as soon as you pay, they disappear. If you are big enough to go with Workday, go with them (IIRC they require 12 employees). BambooHR has a decent option, but watch for the hidden fees. They're not really upfront on all the costs, and their stuff is complicated enough they require you to go through training to use it. I am REALLY hopeful that new management at Zenefits will finally clean things up, or Gusto will enter the full market of Zenefits and put them out of business. Gusto support is awesome, just don't leave Gusto in the middle of the year. They have a policy that you can't come back in the same year.

Pros

For a small business there is not anyone cheaper than Zenefits and they have much greater integration and overall HR flow management than pretty much anyone I could find. When everything works, Zenefits is a beautiful thing.

Cons

Zenefits support is absolutely horrible. If there was ANY competitor that was anywhere close to having what they have at anywhere near their cost, I would have left by now. Support makes me downright angry on a regular basis. They don't read your questions and try to answer a different question, they take two or more days to respond (and there is no phone support), they tell you they'll call you back and do not, they give you wrong information over and over again. Almost no one who works there has any clue what they are doing, and their software messes up sometimes. The combination of the two has been a nightmare. I am constantly wondering if I'm actually saving time by using them, or if all the time I save is eating up with my many hours of arguing with support.

Sandy H.

User Friendly and Intuitive

Reviewed on 21/11/2019

The efficiency of Zenefits when it comes to onboarding is a huge timesaver. We're able to send employees key information they need before and after they start working with us with no manual work. I cut down on a few hours of work per week with this feature!

Pros

Zenefits is super simple to learn how to use, both for Admins and for Employees. My employees love being able to use the software for benefits enrollment, time off, and other requests. It's easy to teach someone how to use it because honestly, I don't really have to--the interface is really simple and easy to understand. Saves me a ton of time as an HR professional!

Cons

The Time Off reporting could be more robust, but this will come with time. As our company grows we're looking to pull more quick reports on PTO accrual and other balances, and some of the values we're looking for aren't readily available. There have been some changes in this area though, so the developers recognize how the system should be improved.

SilkOne Cloud Chiropractic EHR and BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

The cost of Zenefits and the intuitive user interface sold us the most. We felt like we got the most value with the best user experience for our employees. The optional integrations were also a huge plus for us, like our 401(k) provider.
Shae J.

Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work

Reviewed on 03/12/2018

-Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce

-Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry

-Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper!

-Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave.

-Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses.

-ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution.

-Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros

With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one.

Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons

I wish the performance management module was baked into the subscription versus an add-on cost.

The transition to a new brokerage, OneDigital, has come with its challenges, but I appreciate that the leadership teams both with Zenefits and OneDigital have been willing to personally speak with me to determine how gaps can be bridged to improve my experience as the employer.

Mike M.
  • Industry: Publishing

Feature-Packed HR Platform

Reviewed on 21/05/2018

Pros

At our small company, we use Zenefits for basic HR administration like onboarding and enrolling employees in health benefits. It has saved us a lot of time over the past couple of years, particularly with the elimination of paper forms and the fact that it communicates with our healthcare provider. There are a lot of features on the platform and more seem to pop up every few weeks. The recent redesign has also made things a little easier for both administrators and employees. Our staff members also like the Time Off functionality in the system, whereby they can submit vacation or work-from-home requests and managers can then easily approve them directly from an email notification. Recently, the activation of the ClubZen area has given us a chance to interact with other Zenefits customers and provide direct feedback to the Zenefits team, which is an interesting idea and one that gives us a sense of belonging to the community at large. Monetarily speaking, we also think that the system is a great value for the price, even if we don't necessarily use every single feature available to us with our subscription.

Cons

The platform itself works well for the most part, though occasionally I'll run into areas where setting up a policy or enabling a feature seems a little esoteric and not too straightforward. Zenefits has also been working hard to improve their customer service, which has been a sore point for quite a few customers in the past. For this year's open enrollment, for example, I had to specifically reach out to the customer service team to get the process started, and was bounced around a little bit before landing with a benefits advisor. However, things were smooth after that. I think if these factors can be improved, the system will be really great.

Billy S.

Win-win-win

Reviewed on 28/05/2020

Pros

Zenefits offers multiple HR processes in one system in a very user-friendly format. When we consolidated payroll, on-boarding, time tracking, FSA, and benefits admin, in one system, we saved time and paid less than what we were paying for all of the other systems combined. The ease of use of the system is really the special sauce though. It ensures the end-user keeps their individual information up-to-date.

Cons

Customer support could be better. When we first joined we were able to pay for a premium support package but that option is no longer available. Wait times have been long lately.

Gusto and ADP Workforce Now
Jennifer N.

Life Saver

Reviewed on 13/11/2020

Time Saved! Compliance is always taken care of...not much to worry about.

Pros

Zenefits was a life saver for me! Everything was done manually before Zenefits so the amount of time is saved was amazing. The ease of use is incredible and I love the reporting capabilities.

Cons

Support response can be slow, especially for tax items

RUN Powered by ADP and Gusto

Reasons for Choosing Zenefits

Needed something to do not only payroll but also filings, payments, compliance + all other HR and benefits admin.

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

price, ease of use and reporting
Lauren G.

Easy to use HR Platform

Reviewed on 25/03/2020

Overall, I've enjoyed using Zenefits as both an employee and a manager. I enjoy the easy access to documents, overall design, and helpful Support team.

Pros

I've used Zenefits for almost 4 years now, and I've always enjoyed its ease of use and UI, compared with other HR portals I've used in the past (like ADP). As an employee, it's always easy for me to request time off, view other employees in the organization, view/manage benefits, file HSA claims, and more. When I started my job, I remember how easy the onboarding process was with digital signatures on documents and other important forms. I'm now a manager and enjoy the interface for each of my direct reports. As a visual person, I also enjoy the simple design and color scheme. Reaching out to the Support team is also easy - via email and requesting a call. Support agents have been helpful and friendly.

Cons

It's a bit vague about who I should contact with issues regarding my account, in the Help portal. I never know if I should I contact my HR Manager or Zenefits support directly? For example, my Zenefits HSA no longer works. I can't find info the Knowledge Base on how to get a replacement card. This will lead me to submit a support ticket, but I wish I could find the answer easier in the app. I also think an account walk-through would be nice for new users.

Response from Zenefits

Lauren, we appreciate your feedback and your business!

Shannon F.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Zenefits - WSPA Review

Reviewed on 05/10/2021

Excellent! Customer service is the only small issue, wait times can be long but typically they offer good resolutions.

Pros

Ease of use as an administrator and as an employee

Cons

Reminders are sent and are not easily removed from the home page of my administrator section.

James D.

Very organized, neat, and easy to use!

Reviewed on 28/01/2019

After the initial issues with payroll, using Zenefits was very easy and streamlined our hiring process. We’ve only had to use the termination process a handful of times, but when we did, it worked flawlessly. The dashboard is very neat and organized and setup is easy as well.

Pros

This product is extremely easy to use. Everything is online, so we were able to go completely paperless. The onboarding process is extremely easy and very comprehensive. The termination process is just as easy, with only a few buttons to click and you’re done! There are constantly updates being made to the system, so it’s always rich with new features.

Cons

We initially had a bit of an issue with moving our payroll from our bank (what we initially used) to Zenefits, but once the issues were ironed out, it worked well. The new features sometimes throw you off and make you have to relearn the system, but they’re always beneficial changes, so it’s worth it.

Katie S.

HR automated

Reviewed on 20/06/2016

We started using it from the beginning of forming our company (over two years ago) and have been really pleased with the amount of features and support that Zenefits has provided. With any new company, there are usually some hiccups, but, they are always quick to fix problems and always available. We initially started out by using it as a platform before using them as our broker and haven't looked back since. We have two offices in California and Arizona and it has been really easy to onboard new employees remotely.

Pros

Speed of onboarding, new features, seamless integration to QuickBooks for payroll, price, automation of most things HR.

Cons

Doesn't handle international payroll yet (filing taxes, etc.)

Comprehensive HR platform, a great tool for small businesses

Reviewed on 18/02/2019

Zenefits keeps it simple and offers all the most common HR functionality in one easy place. Mobile and web versions are both great.

Pros

Dashboard is visually laid out and very simple to use. For employees, Zenefits offers a comprehensive, easy-to-use hub for all the important details. For employers, it is just as easy to use. Every day tasks like pulling insurance information or submitting time off are simple and painless. If you do not know where to find a certain piece of info, the intuitive layout means that a few moments of exploration can easily answer most questions. I appreciate that the layout is no-frills, because it means crucial information and functionality are easy to find and use.

Mobile platform is easy to use and offers great functionality, which is an extremely beneficial aspect of the software.

Cons

I have trouble verifying my email to my account after switching emails from the personal to professional address. Luckily, this doesn't seem to be impacting my profile or making any feature more difficult, so it isn't a big issue.

Ed R.

Revolutionized HR for our School

Reviewed on 13/06/2020

Zenefits has really changed the way HR is done for our school. We are able to handle a professional level of HR services with very limited time on a day-to-day basis. It has really helped to automate the way we do benefits enrollment, employee time & attendance (which happens to flow right into payroll), managing PTO, and the employee onboarding process is so easy to do for both the employee and employer.

Pros

The level of integration and ease of use on the user end makes this a great solution for any employee.

Cons

If you’re using Zenefits as a payroll provider, the level of customization is somewhat limited.

Richard B.
  • Industry: Furniture

Low cost, all in one solution

Reviewed on 27/09/2021

Overall Zenefits allows a small business to grow without headaches that could come with onboarding people at a rapid pace w/ out a HR department

Pros

Love the user friendly web based platfrom from onboarding, clock managment to payroll!

Cons

All features are amazing! Customer support could be better though

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Zenefits

Cost effective and user friendly
Patti G.
  • Industry: Insurance

HR and Payroll Made Simple

Reviewed on 29/09/2021

Pros

I am the HR Lead for a start up company which means everything is from scratch! Zenefits has helped make our HR and Payroll processes simple and efficient.

Cons

Customization is limited to some degree for reporting.

ADP Workforce Now

Cost and user friendly
Leslie L.

Loving Zenefits!

Reviewed on 24/05/2019

Payroll has gone from pushing a button and crossing our fingers to actually having confidence in what is being processed every payperiod. The accuracy, and confidence in the accuracy is amazing. We were with a giant HRIS/payroll vendor, but really couldn't tell how they were doing things, so it was very hard to tell when something was going wrong (e.g. PTO balances being incorrect).

Pros

Zenefits has really streamlined our HRIS (including payroll) processes. Man, it's sooo much easier than the other vendor we were using. I was really hesitant to switch payroll providers since the company has been using the same provider for over a decade, but the price point (and savings) were just too compelling to ignore. Implementation team was strong, available and knew their stuff. My favorite features are scheduled reminder emails for employees. Second favorite (and most used) are the MUCH easier to read and manipulate payroll reports.

Cons

I think some of the more sophisticated features still need some building out and training for admins. There is a pretty robust performance management function, but I'm still trying to figure out how to maximize it.

Response from Zenefits

Thank you for your review.
Easy of use and price points are critical components. I am excited to hear Zenefits delivers both for you.
I appreciate your feedback.

Dan T.

Must have software for any business.

Reviewed on 09/09/2019

It's been a great experience. We've used Zenefits at my company for years and it's never let me down.

Pros

I love how easy it is to find exactly what you need. I've never once had an issue checking my PTO, making a request, clocking in, adding a note to my timesheet, or even browsing my company directory to locate someone I needed to contact.

Cons

There was only one time I ever got lost, and it was because they changed how a certain directory section appeared. I would have liked more communication on the site itself to indicate something moved, but thats it.

David A.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Zenefits has been a great help to us at an affordable option. Continuous improvement since...

Reviewed on 16/04/2018

Time savings in hiring, onboarding, payroll and recordkeeping. Also, payroll cost considerably better than we were paying to another third-party.

Pros

Easy to maneuver between modules. Fully integrated hiring, onboarding and payroll. Good online help allows me to get most answers I need. Quick response to questions or issues. Seamless transition of our benefit plans into Zenefits and better offerings than we had before. Payroll and PTO are the biggest bargains.

Cons

No real weakness noted. We have a small number of hourly employees that I would like to use the time reporting, but not cost justified at this time so we have to input hours worked for each employee first into a spreadsheet and then into Zenefits payroll.

Ben J.

Great Addition to Tech Stack

Reviewed on 29/09/2021

Pros

It revolutionized our business by adding lots of benefits features we did not have previously

Cons

I wish there was more time off options, as we have many different types of time off

Gusto

More robust

HRIS system that allows the online storage of compliance documentation and provides best...

Reviewed on 16/04/2018

Organization, Information, Compliance. Provides a seamless onboarding experience for new hires.

Pros

The longer we use the product, the more valuable it becomes (which I'm sure is their strategy). It becomes an invaluable tool to look at an employee's salary history, vacation usage and a valuable tool to the employees as well.

Cons

When Zenefits decided to exit the insurance broker market and become more focused on HRIS products and add-ons, the customer care dipped for us with their broker partner, leading to a rough few weeks after open-enrollment.

Jamie S.

Zenefits has simple, intuitive tools to make things a bit easier on you!

Reviewed on 31/01/2018

Whenever I've had questions, Zenefits has always been quick to respond. Everyone I've spoken to has been rather pleasant.!

Pros

We use the free stuff and have been very impressed. I used to maintain paper employee files, but almost everything I wanted in those paper files is much easier to document in Zenefits. I also really like the health benefits administration and COBRA administration. Once the system is set up, most of the communication demands are done automatically within the system. Our employees also like that they're able to use Zenefits to make elections at open enrollment and review those elections whenever they want to.

Cons

I'd like to be able to eventually be able to use Zenefits for time and attendance and for payroll because the platform is simple and intuitive and because our employees would really like the integration with their existing Zenefits accounts. The price for us, however, is not competitive enough with our standard Quickbooks system to justify the switch.

Zenefits helps you manage all of your HR Functions in one place

Reviewed on 20/06/2018

ease of use, tons of resources, great customer service

Pros

With the exception of applicant tracking, you can manage everything from this system (and they do offer integrations with ATS systems). I love how easy it is to navigate, the additional resources to help make HR life easier and the great and responsive customer service.

Cons

Formerly, some documents were out of date, but they have done a great job in updating everything. There's really nothing that I don't like.

Tammy J.

Zenefits the one stop place for all your HR needs!

Reviewed on 05/01/2017

Zenefits is great for start-ups that are looking to grow. Easy to use and employees have the ability to view personal information along with benefits, compensation, it interfaces with Expensify, Lever, and many more apps. Easy to make changes to employees profile, makes everything paperless when it comes to managing employee information.

Reports are great, you can create your own or use the ones they provide. They offer the ability to manage not only benefits but corporate liability insurance, FSA and commuter benefits. Payroll syncs easily if you use one of their partners or use Zenefits own payroll service. If your company is on a budget this is the way to go as you have insight into everything! Do away with PEO's as they are costly!

Pros

Easy to use and syncs with many apps out there. ADP workforce, Lever, Slack, Expensify and many more.

Cons

Sometimes hard to figure out where stuff is in each of the sections from and administrator point.

Rodney C.

The transition to use Zenefits was seemless. It has been easy to use. I recommend Zenefits.

Reviewed on 18/04/2018

Pros

The software is easy to use and understand. There are constant improvements and upgrades, but it is always easy to use and understand. The program answers your questions as if you are working with someone on the other side of the program to assure you things are going well and that you completed the task.

Cons

Sometimes I feel that the improvements are too slow. I want the phone app to be able to do alot more as an admin person.

Elizabeth S.
  • Industry: Human Resources

great payroll and benefits software

Reviewed on 02/10/2018

great, i enjoy using it and love it!

Pros

i used this at my last company i was with, and i enjoyed using this software. I wanted to bring it to my new company but as of right now, management is in the process of checking it out and seeing if its fit their needs. super easy to use, and it keep track of a bunch of data. simple to use, and there so much benefits of this app.

Cons

there a little bit of lag, bugs and errors but that normal.