Catherine S.

Data Models, Security, and Amazing Customer Support

Reviewed on 14/06/2019

Looker is quickly becoming our go-to for reporting and dashboarding for anything requiring more than one data source (and some that are based on just one). Paired with a kick-ass centralized data warehouse (we use Snowflake), Looker lets us roll things out very quickly (provided our data infrastructure is in good shape). It did take a while to get going with Looker because it lays on top of the existing data infrastructure. Now that we have quite a bit of strong infrastructure in place in our centralized data warehouse, we are able to produce data products in Looker quite quickly.

Pros

Provisioning security allows us to control the user experience (and only show users things they would actually care about). This makes a dashboard or data product rollout far smoother. Additionally, the customer support (especially through the chat interface) is absolutely fantastic. Because Looker creates a custom URL for each explore you're working on, you can share with Customer Support your exact problem and work together to find a solution.

Cons

Looker Sales told us beforehand that it "writes the most performant SQL possible." I have not found this to be the case, as it often casts and does a few other things (I suspect to make it runnable no matter how you've set up your data). There are some limitations on the visualizations, etc., but Looker Customer Service has been super responsive when those come up.

Marcelo R.
  • Industry: Banking

Great tool for building customized dashboard and KPI tracking reports

Reviewed on 15/10/2020

I use Looker every week to track the performance of different channels for user acquisition. It allows me to quickly understand which channels are over or underperforming so that we can adjust the strategy accordingly. I really enjoy my experience with this tool.

Pros

Looker is a very complete tool that allows you to build customized dashboard and KPI tracking reports. I really enjoy the level of customization it allows (different type of charts, tables, etc.) as well as how easy it is to share it with your team. I recommend this tool!

Cons

Looker requires a bit of technical knowledge about data analytics in order to customize some of the tables and reports. If you don't have much knowledge in this field, it might be a bit hard to create the reports and tables with the data you're looking for.

Justin N.

Powerful for the Data Scientist, Friendly for the Business User

Reviewed on 05/08/2015

Pros

When I first saw Looker (during a long BI evaluation process where we demo'd perhaps 5-10 tools) I knew it was what I had been hoping for in a BI vendor. The ease of dragging dimensions and metrics onto a canvas, the fluid way that you could generate reports, and the simplicity of drilling down into the source data all suggested this was a tool that had been built well from the ground up.

Other vendors seemed to trap you into a narrow view of your metrics, but with Looker the only restrictions were the ones built into your data model. It could easily flex to accommodate whatever data you wanted to look at.

The LookML language and the way Looker is designed to interact with your data is pretty brilliant. Even a non-data scientist and non-SQL user like me could get the hang of the basics ;)

The range of options, the configurability, the flexibility...all aces. Really you only get stuck by your imagination, the tool is powerful enough that you can solve most problems if you have the know-how.

The team is also great. Awesome culture, friendly support.

They have a continual flow of new features and improvements.

Cons

You do need a good BI person or ETL developer to really get the most out of this tool.

Setting up your data model really well and going to the outer limits to solve some particularly difficult queries are all things I would have had a hard time doing without technical resources on the team.

Of course it's possible Looker helps with a lot of this during implementation; we pretty much controlled our own because we had the folks in house to do it.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Provides valuable insights for all users (Technical and End Users)

Reviewed on 14/06/2019

This software has truly put our leadership team above the benchmark with data efficiencies and making informed data driven decisions.

Pros

Looker is incredibly easy to use, and it easily scales with your technical abilities. As an Analyst, I can create very easy to use self serve reports for stakeholders. This saves time and effort for both parties. Looker also has a very intuitive way of organizing data and letting you quickly visualize data in your warehouse. It is reliable and the data visualization options are abundant. Our leadership team is miles ahead of others I've seen because of how quickly they were able to learn how to use Looker.

Cons

I don't necessarily see this as a con, however I think there is a big opportunity to help guide some new users through some of the more technical setup of Looker. I relied on a mentor to help take me through LookML and Models/Explores, but I would have loved to have some in product help with this.

Jonathan P.

A game changing data tool

Reviewed on 11/06/2019

Looker is a game changing tool insofar as it provides a 21st century approach to data tooling that massively amplifies how organisations can get access to, explore and power applications through data without making sacrifices from an accuracy perspective. Looker's company culture is fantastic and the focus on customer support really helps to extent the impact of the product itself.

Pros

* LookML because it enables a scalable semantic layer wherein business rules can be defined in a single place and logic is code based thereby enabling version control, testing and auditing.
* Extendability because the data platform focus enables businesses to serve data to applications and people through a single component
* Customer experience focus

Cons

* It can be hard to navigate the huge volumes of content that users build on Looker and find the canonical/VIP products that are the foundation for any company

Mary A.

Great product!

Reviewed on 13/06/2019

Looker has allowed us to make clean, consistent data for all of our campaigns available across our agency and externally to clients. This has significantly sped up the reporting process and increased the amount of time that we've been able to put into actual analysis. Also appreciate that Looker is constantly adding new functionality, and looking forward to see more chart types and integrations with other sources in the future.

Pros

Looker has been a game changer for us. It connects easily to our database and allows internal users to dig into our data and optimize media campaigns without having to write SQL code. The dashboards are easy to create and customize, and the fact that it can be embedded into a website allows us to share with clients without having to mess around with permissions.

Cons

Not exactly a con, but we tend to join most of our tables and clean our data in snowflake rather than Looker, so I can't speak to the advanced develop/derived table features.

Ben B.

All your data, visualized

Reviewed on 29/07/2019

Great data visualization platform that opens up so many options and possibilities.

Pros

Looker's customizable dashboards are the heart and soul of the platform, and the most valuable part in my opinion. I can (and do) create dashboards for almost everything, from customer engagement, to content performance, and even technical metrics of a web application. This freedom to track and visualize almost any data source within a business is just incredible, and well worth the steep learning curve.

Looker can aid in team productivity as well. We use quarterly dashboards to track key metrics, so that everyone can see (in real-time!) how our organization is doing. It's very encouraging for the team to actually see progress over time in a chart, rather than just hearing/reading numbers.

Cons

Looker can feel clunky. This is not just because you need to know SQL to really use it well, but because the UI is slow, on occasion. Granted, if your data warehouse is slow/enormous, Looker can only do so much. But even for regular data analytics tasks, it can be sluggish.

Also, I do not like some of the predefined formatting for graphs/charts/visuals. The size-to-information ratio seems way off at times, but perhaps this is customizable and I have not discovered the settings yet.

• Industry: Information Services

Easy, Flexible, Effective Data Analysis

Reviewed on 20/04/2019

Looker is an excellent tool. I highly recommend it! While it requires some setup at the start, it ultimately saves time by empowering non-technically skilled coworkers to analyze data on their own!

Pros

Looker allows data to be accessible by team members who do not have technical skills like SQL or Python. It's user interface is easy to use; quickly and easily one can have impressive visualizations encompassing complex data sets. Looker is a powerful tool, useful for adding data visualizations to reports, making data-driven business decisions, and any other task requiring you to analyze data. Looker has also put out a great series of instructional videos which are helpful in learning how to use the program optimally.

Cons

The initial setup and development of Looker requires time, attention, and work. The software is a great user interface to access data, but configuring the program to access your data requires a lot of programming, troubleshooting, and general work from the data science team. The utility of the program is definitely worth the work, but you should not expect to begin using the program as soon as you get it--it requires some setup.

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Empowers entire companies with data with an intuitive software and incredible customer service

Reviewed on 08/10/2017

Pros

Even non technical people, get excited to use this product once they know how!
Customization ability
Incredible data visualizations
Allows me to automate and optimize processes
The friendliest and most helpful customer service

Cons

Loading dashboards can be very slow
Validating code can sometimes take forever
Occasional bugs make it temporarily go down for the entire company

I use Looker every day, all day to make the data actionable.

Reviewed on 19/10/2017

Being able to distribute limited customized data reports to over 2,000 people!

Pros

They are always improving the product and taking my requests seriously. I have been using it for 2 years, and all of my requests have been met.

Cons

Sometimes the requests take time, and with all the software updates, sometimes the documentation is a little lacking, but support is always there to help.

Johan D.

Very happy with the Looker support

Reviewed on 07/10/2017

Pros

- Support team
- Philosophy of data driving to action in one platform
- Simplified frontend and technical backend to allow range of users access to the same model

Cons

- Limited visualisation options in Looker 4, but this should be improving soon
- Cost is hard to justify for Asia-based clients where the salary arbitrage is less of a factor

Matthew T.

Data modeling facilitates low-code data management, API

Reviewed on 13/06/2019

Very helpful client services and technical teams. They're ready to engage with us and to help solve technical problems.

Pros

Cloud native. Scalable. Data modeling capability.

Cons

Some capabilities are not able to be administered by users - sequential derived table creation, and some other aspects of data persistence.

Matt K.

The best BI tool in the market!

Reviewed on 18/04/2019

Pros

- Intuitive enough to be used for multiple functions/ department
- Permissioning (dev mode vs normal) is assuring
- Uses SQL-like syntax for data manipulation
- Dashboards you can customize, favorite, publish, solves hundreds of use cases
- Constant improvement in its features and stability

Cons

- Although LookML (it's scripting language) is similar to SQL, I hope it was SQL or at least it does a better job with training LookML to its users.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great experience thus far from the onboarding to ongoing support

Reviewed on 06/10/2017

Pros

Ease of use and self-service type model where business users can manage things themselves. I also like the fact we can easily add different data sources and view them together.

Cons

LookML does take a bit of time to learn, but it's definitely worth it. Visualization is good, but not yet great.

Brijesh P.
  • Industry: Hospitality

This platform has been great in terms of implementation.

Reviewed on 19/10/2017

Pros

A company doesn't need a proper data model to be able to use this BI Software. The ability define measures that aren't in certain tables are amazing.

Cons

Documentation could be better on certain functions such as html or liquid variables because not all users are proficient in html.

Jake C.

Excellent Data Visualizer

Reviewed on 31/10/2018

Streamlines data for those with less experience in excel, making it easier for us to coordinate efforts, drive decision-making, and on board new users.

Pros

Works well for those that aren't quite experts in excel and prefer a different method of visualization.

Support/Updates are solid. I always like to parrot "invest in the team," and that's what you're doing with Looker. It seems they listen to their customers & feedback and take action on that information to improve the experience.

Cons

Sometimes a power-user who multi-tasks w/ a larger dashboard (myself, ha) can find it takes longer to load. It's not a huge deal, and maybe our computers need an upgrade (when don't they), but it's something to mention. There aren't any huge drawbacks to this program I can really think of.

Looks pretty but hard to use

Reviewed on 25/04/2019

Didn’t like it. We had it for a year and everyone on the data and operations team hated it - except for the one person who decided to buy it

Pros

The charts, tables and graphs look very beautiful. It takes a full time data analyst to get looker up and running. The results look great and can be published online where execs can use to drill down.

Cons

Looker is not a drag and drop type of BI Tool. You’ll need a full time data analyst to use SQL to pull everything together, build tables first. Once that’s there, they can then send to people to put together tables.

To get anything functional requires lots of time and is not easy for people to use that aren’t tech savvy. It is also extremely expensive compared to Tableau

Elizabeth M.

Good Program with a lots of possibilities

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

Good program with a lot of potential and you can get information for everything that needed

Pros

You can see different information, the update is quick and you can get a lot of different reports with all the information that you need

Cons

A little difficult to get around the program , I am used to to the reports that I have a the moment but I still need some help to create a new one

Tyler L.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Looker gives me the data I need, when I need it

Reviewed on 11/02/2020

Pros

I love that looker can create complex charts, graphs and tables to help me visualize my numbers over time. I use it to track my individual results and how they compare to my colleagues. I love being able to see the trailing 6 and 12 month averages as it allows me to see how I'm tracking on any given day, week or month towards the goals I set for myself. Looker is an invaluable part of my sales process.

Cons

I dislike how long it can take certain reports in Looker to load. This can at times slow down my workflow to getting critical data I need to make smart decisions in my daily work.

Charles M.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

relatively simple drag and drop process. brings strong analysis and visualization tools to...

Reviewed on 10/10/2017

ease of use, good analysis and visualization

Pros

drag and drop query creation
strong visualization tools
dashboards
easy to share findings
easy automation with email alerts

Cons

can get a bit confusing and confining with more complex queries/analysis
machine written sql can be annoying

Zach S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Wish mobile version was better

Reviewed on 02/04/2019

Pros

I like being able to see into the metrics and KPIs our team is tracking and get a better picture of exactly what is happening.

Cons

I wish it had a mobile version instead of going onto a browser.

Meagan M.

Seems great, takes some getting used to

Reviewed on 18/01/2018

Pros

Capabilities seem endless, nice visuals to represent data, integrates with many many other platforms. We've been able to leverage data from Looker from so many places (our own database, redshift, CRMs, etc) and gain some invaluable insights.

Cons

the learning curve is a bit high for anyone that is *not* a data analyst or intimately familiar with pivot tables, etc

Shamita J.

No training needed!

Reviewed on 28/08/2016

Pros

As someone who does not know SQL, Looker allows me to visualize all the data coming from my paid marketing programs in the simplest way possible on a daily basis. I am able to draw conclusions, visualize trends, and create IFTT formulas and filters without a data analyst background.

Cons

When you can't visualize a query, it's difficult to tell what the selections are on the left hand side at a quick glance to uncheck a field.

Kate Z.

Looker is amazing

Reviewed on 07/01/2020

It's a great and simple way to create dashboards with complex and ugly data, because it's visualizations and transformations are quite customizable.

Pros

This software has the best support chat ever. They are very knowledgeable and helpful in trying to help in whatever situation you find yourself in.

Cons

Unfortunately, their documentation could use some improving as often I find myself confused and unsure what to do with their docs.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Looker - the perfect tool to explore and analyze data

Reviewed on 28/03/2019

Pros

I work in an app that helps pizzerias drive more business. So everyday I make full analysis of how the revenue increases for the pizzerias and I LOVE IT!

Cons

Honestly nothing to dislike about it, the accuracy is unbelievable!