Clio

4.7 (1,161)
Cloud-based legal practice management software

(1,161)

1,161 reviews

Edward D.

Clio is a Must!

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

Overall, the best time and billing software out there. I have demo'd several and Clio was the clear winner.

Pros

Generally Clio changed my practice. The software makes it easy to access critical data which is right on your dashboard, such as billing goals (day/month/year), A/R, actually vs. targeted billing, client and matters, just about everything a lawyer needs at his or her fingertips to make billing easy and efficient.

Cons

Sometimes, rarely, I find that info I need or a function I would want cannot be done which makes little sense to me. Also constructing Bills is more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Amy L.

Satisfied Clio user for 5+ years, recently purchased for additional firm

Reviewed on 10/09/2020

I am very satisfied with Clio as an online time management option. If you want/need to be 100% in-the-cloud, I would choose and recommend this program most highly to other firms. I prefer it to Bill4Time, CosmoLex, TimeSlips (not online). It also has things I like better than Prolaw (which also is not online).

I don't use many of the advanced features Clio offers like integrations, Clio payments or even calendar, tasks because of the way may firms are set up. So, I can't speak to those features.

Pros

I like Clio's simplicity and intuitiveness best. It really is the easiest time management program I have used. If you want to get up and running, like, literally, now, you can purchase Clio online with a push of a button and have open matters and clients/contact in minutes. I originally chose this product 5+ years ago for a small firm I manage, after looking at most of the online time management products on the market. I chose it specifically because it seemed the easiest in which to enter time. One of the attys I work with isn't great with a keyboard. Clio time entry required the least amount of effort, was the easiest to navigate and simplest to look at. But after using Clio, as well as, other online time management products (I manage a few small law firms), I really appreciate the easy of creating and EDITING invoices, which I do extensively at my firms. Lastly, I recently utilized Clio's FREE migration services to move from another online software, which I did not like. The migration took one hour on the phone, one day for them to migrate, and was pretty seamless! I've migrated data a few times (Prolaw and CosmoLex) and this was by FAR the easiest. The customer service is always great, even though I don't have to use it often because Clio is so simple to use.

Cons

Only 1. I haven't mastered LEDES ebililng on Clio yet. At one of my firms, we do only LEDES98 ebilling. If you don't know what this is, stop reading, you will not experience this minor Con. I am having trouble perfecting the LEDES98 txt files and uploading them. Granted, this is my first month of e-billing on Clio at this firm, so I'm sure customer service will correct it for me. It's just that a few other time management programs I have used had no LEDES glitches and uploaded perfectly the first time.

The price is also high for small firms. But all online billing programs are.

Richard G.

Best Decision I made was to make the switch

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Easier to manage all aspects of a case with CLIO

Pros

Easy to use, customer support is awesome, helpful tutorial videos and great client experience. I have received multiple compliments on the style and ease of paying on-line.

Cons

It was not syncing with QuickBooks when posting to CLIO but that may have been addressed recently. I need to check with my bookkeeper.

Rocket Matter

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Constant issues from an IT stand point. Not as user friendly

Reasons for Switching to Clio

I asked around and even had CLIO provide me with a referral in my area of practice so I could see how they liked it and if there were any issues. I confirmed CLIO was a solid company and would be around. The Florida Bar indorsement was also key.
Amber G.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use and great support

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

The overall experience has been an absolute pleasure. I love it! It makes time recording, billing and credit control very straightforward. It sets out the matter and client information in a very simple and straightforward manner. Support is great too which makes a big difference. Everyone who has joined our company has got on with it with just half an hour of general training. Nobody complains about it.

Pros

Clio is very user-friendly and intuitive. Even if you do not have experience or training on Clio, there is a certain about of functions which you can work out how to use but by having a play with the system. Time recording is very straightforward and it makes our billing easy.

Cons

Downsides are: there is no currency conversation; cannot split invoices on one matter (e.g. we have to 2 or more entities responsible for payment say, 50/50, but there is no way of automatically splitting the invoice; no summary front sheet for an invoice.

Michelle S.

Review of Clio From Attorney Owner At Small Firm

Reviewed on 26/07/2019

I recommend Clio to solo and small firm attorneys. It has a lot of features that you may not use but it is nice to have the option. In spite of its many features, Clio is easy to use. My billing and collections went up when I switched to Clio because logging time and billing is very easy and the gmail feature makes sure I remember to bill for mass of emails I receive each day. My calendar, matter and contact information is available quickly wherever I am. Clio has improved my efficiency and made my work day easier.

Pros

Clio is very fast, even when I am accessing the full website on my ipad. I love the new add on for Gmail that allows me to bill directly to Clio from the email and even save the mail to Clio if I want. The program feels modern. The program is easy to use in spite of the many many features. I have three staff members, one under 30, one under 50 and one in her 70s. All three are able to easily use the program. I like the third party apps that work directly with Clio such as Dropbox, Invoice Sherpa , Gmail and Fastcase. Customer service is very responsive and Clio is constantly receiving significant upgrades.

Cons

Based on all of the options and information available in Clio I am still surprised by the minimal reporting capabilities in the practice management side of the program. The basics are there but in my opinion there are many helpful reports that are missing. Even if Clio does not want to add additional reports, making an option for the user to create custom reports would be a good alternative.

Clio added an option to require and maintain an evergreen retainer. That is very helpful, however, you have to send a separate request to the client for the evergreen retainer to be replenished. It would be much more helpful if you had the option to include the evergreen retainer request on the client invoice. My clients get confused when they receive a billing invoice and then on the same day or some days later yet another invoice with a new request for retainer replenishment.

Response from Clio

Thank you for the review, Michelle! Glad to see the software is serving your team well. We've shared your feedback on reporting with the Product Team, which will be very helpful for future improvements. The team will reach out if they require further context.

Matthew M.

My experience with Clio

Reviewed on 08/09/2019

Clio is allowing me to be more efficient in my use of time, which then allows me to get more work done. Then, I save time doing additional work, which then allows me to get even more work done.

Clio is constantly striving to upgrade and improve the system. Sometimes they are a little slow at integrating new features, but I understand that there is only so much they can accomplish in a given space of time.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the court calendaring feature, which sets up deadlines in the Clio calendar. I also like that Clio is continuously upgrading and improving the program, including making the program easier to use. Also, I appreciated that Clio saw a real good thing in Lexicata, to which I subscribed, and bought the company and integrated it into the Clio product. As a solo practitioner, I am doing more and more outsourcing. For example, I have a contract paralegal, and the Clio license for my contract paralegal is well-worth the price. Also, I just found out that Clio and LawClerk.Legal have a 3rd party app partnership, and so I signed up for LawClerk.Legal and am looking forward to see how well the program integrates with Clio. The relationship should make billing for the "law clerk" or associate attorney seamless, at no extra cost to me on the Clio end.

Cons

The template system does not allow for the entry of variable information into a document during the merge process.

• Industry: Legal Services

Lots to love, but also frustrating at times

Reviewed on 03/12/2020

Pros

I've been using Clio since 2013. I love that it is cloud-based, easy to use, and has an accessible API. This allows me to automate many processes (such as setting up new contacts, time entries, etc.) through Zapier.

Cons

The Clio Grow/Manage separation is a complete failure. It's been well over a year since Grow was purchased, and yet Grow and Manage are still two separate products that don't work very well together. Clio Grow (at least when I tested it out) was lacking many features that you would need for a proper lead management system. It's a great idea and a needed service, but the implementation has been terrible.

The support is decent, but there are often major issues (such as how tax and discounts are applied to invoices) that have been outstanding for YEARS without being addressed. We often receive the standard response of "we'll add that to our feature request list", and then nothing is ever done about it. If a change is ever made, we are not notified, and there is no way to see where major changes are on the product roadmap.

Clio is great in a lot of ways. It is also awful in many others. I'm still using it after 7 years, so that says something, but I look for alternatives every 6 months or so. Unfortunately, I still haven't found a suitable alternative that's also been approved by our governing body.

Joshua S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

The best option for our firm

Reviewed on 11/02/2020

We have been very pleased and are going to expand our use over the next 6 mo nths

Pros

It is an industry standard and has a lot of options included in the flat rate. I like how easy the easy parts are to use, as we are not the most tech savvy office.

Cons

The mobile app is terrible and the billing app is tough to use. I do not find the GUI intuitive for may items, but that might just be me

Google Workspace

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Clio does more and is industry specific

Google Workspace

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Industry standard. It really is the best option out of many competitors
Jennifer C.

We love CLIO!

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

I have had a wonderful overall experience with CLIO and everyone associated with the product.

Pros

I started with our firm in October of 2018. Prior to starting here, I had worked as a paralegal in large corporations and never for law firms, so I was unfamiliar with most legal software. Having no experience with CLIO before, I was able to jump right in and found the system to be very easy to learn, easy to use, and intuitive. I have unofficially become the CLIO point of contact for our firm and have found that even if there’s something that I don’t know when a question is asked of me, CLIO makes it easy for me to find the answer. In my time here, I have found that the CLIO team, and especially CSR, are extremely professional and responsive if we ever need anything. They also consistently reach out to us to get our input on new and exciting products and add on’s to see how we might benefit from future use of such. Additionally, we recently added CLIO Grow to our profile and are excited to utilize it to continue growing our firm and client base. Overall, we are extremely pleased with CLIO and are excited to continue using and exploring how this product can help us reach new heights of case management, customer service, and new client onboarding!

Cons

I'm really hoping CLIO can upgrade their reporting capabilities. Especially surrounding custom fields and our ability to export them. We would love to be able to customize our reports easily that right now, are a pretty manual and time consuming process due to the lack of reporting functionality within CLIO.

Leslie R.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Time and money saving practice management

Reviewed on 10/04/2020

Pros

Clio is a comprehensive, easy to use practice management tool. Timekeeping is simple and accurate; billing is too. All my client data is kept clear and complete, easy to access. Tasks lists and calendaring help me meet deadlines. I've occasionally needed help to figure out how to use a particular tool ; client support is fantastic. Quick response time and good follow-up.

Cons

Billing by the house is easy and intuitive. Flat-rate billing is a little more work. Also, in the rare instance where a client does not pay a bill, or any portion of it, I cannot create a new bill that shows the past due balance unless I am billing for new time. I have to send a "statement of accounts," which is a little more convoluted.

Zackary Z.

You Need CLIO In Your Life

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

From the set up, to teaching the staff how to use CLIO, to little hiccups along the way, the CLIO staff has been very responsive. They always answer the phone, are always friendly, and always ensure our issues are resolved quickly. Plus, they actually implement suggestions I have made.

Pros

CLIO is a seamlessly integrated firm management product that allows me to manage my small law firm on the go. Whether I am traveling, sitting in the hallway of a courthouse, or waiting for my kids' doctor appointment, I can communicate with clients, enter time, communicate with my team, and have all of my client information at my fingertips.

Cons

When preparing bills, some of the features that allow you to correct time entries by staff are limited. For example, if a staff member entered time under the wrong matter, you cannot simply change the matter with a simple click. Overall however, bill preparation is much faster than with other products and works nicely.

Response from Clio

Thank you for the feedback, Zackary! We've submitted your Billing recommendation to the Product Team for review. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team with any future questions: www.clio.com/support

Adam R.

Data Security

Reviewed on 21/02/2020

I switched from RocketMatter to Clio when there was a security breach at DropBox. RocketMatter did not integrate with google drive as well as Clio so I made the switch.

Pros

Integrations with google products are easy

Cons

VoIP integration still not 100% figured out by me

Ely D.

Clío Daily User

Reviewed on 10/10/2020

Overall I still like the product and have invested time and money to keep a customer profile of all our clients. However, knowing the product for many years I have experienced it’s full potential and would like the current issues to be corrected.

Pros

Our office implemented Clío Manage to keep our client files virtually. The program has the capacity to keep notes, documents, time keeping, invoices, task management and an email communication log, of all our firm clients in one place. In addition, you can share documents with your clients for easy access and communication.

Cons

I have used Clío for over 4 years, when we started the program it worked perfectly. Unfortunately a system update eliminated the email plugin and created a new and updated one, which came with flaws that have not been corrected. Now emails are hard to save into our files, some don’t save at all. The glitches have affected the program from working at 100% efficiency. I would recommend for Clío to go back to its previous system plugin, as this upgrade affected the overall quality of the program. In addition, the Mobil app for Clío is not capable for viewing documents or to add any information to the file. It’s a read-only app which makes it useless.

Maija W.
  • Industry: Law Practice

My solo law practice superpower is Clio

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

Clio allows our law office to be super streamlined and provide a great way for all members of our team to communicate with each other, especially our remote team members.

Pros

I love that Clio is available on my mobile phone as well as my laptop. It provides me and my team with the best tool for quick time tracking.

Cons

I would like better document and template integrations. We use Box for that.

Response from Clio

Thank you for the feedback, Maija! We've submitted your integration recommendation to the Product Team for reviewwhich will help us scope out future integration options that will benefit firms like yours.

Marwan H.

Great Collaboration

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

I had so far a great experience using Clio to document, track time, put notes, Calendar, and pretty much record every single activity in my daily office work. I can't find anything that is not covered by Clio, and we used many different software programs in our office before nothing comprehensive like Clio.

Pros

The most I liked about Clio is the level of detail coverage to almost all the daily office activity we use to do with many different software before. Now its all in one place. From the first time I used it it felt like it was tailored to the law area our firm practicing.

Cons

The only take on Clio is the billing options, don't get me wrong on this one, Clio is great on billing, it just when your firm have several trust and operating accounts Clio will fill short covering it all. And they working on addressing this issue recently.

Response from Clio

Thank you for the feedback, Marwan! We hope our product improvements will help get your billing process running smoothly!

Chris B.

Clio review

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

Love love love Clio. Easy to use, customer support helpful and understandable. Non legal personal can learn and use this product. Free tutorials. Able to
Integrate other platforms like lawpay and quick books into use and organization.

Pros

Most everything.
Platform integration
Organization
Billing

Cons

Like every program there are some cons.
Resending bills to the same person multiple times, can not just share multiple times, you must delete the email and then add it back in.
Bills don’t automatically clear from trust into operating if there are funds available and bills pending must transfer manually.

Rocket Matter

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Ease of use, price can link with other platforms

Response from Clio

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your experience with Clio. We're consistently working to improve the product and appreciate you being so honest in your feedback. Glad we're providing value to your firm, we love you too!

- Derek

Chilwin C.

Couldn't practice without it. Excellent customer online and telephone customer support.

Reviewed on 12/09/2017

Pros

Can practice anywhere, anytime, with anyone. Super easy to use. Has the features needed most in a law practice - ticklers, deadline management, meeting management, timekeeping, trust accounting, integrated invoicing system. The automated document management system allows makes many of our back office functions and production systems much more efficient. Really appreciate how Clio integrates with major cloud software such as Box, Zapier, Quickbooks, etc.

Cons

Old code and an architecture that feels like it was built 10 years ago - which it was. Constantly needing to refresh the screen to get up-to-date information. User pathing for many common tasks are not intuitive. Project management is terrible - a poor cousin to other software such as Smartsheet. Their "Tasks Chains" is a weak substitute. Most of all, as my firm grows beyond 2 lawyers, Clio's solo-centricity is becoming a problem as it lacks the more sophisticated user-access controls and archiving features found in sofware built for larger firms. I AM told that the #NewClio will fix many of this. Would like to update this review once that new platform is released.

Nancy K.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Easy to use and keeps everything organized

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

Clients can pay quickly. We are more organized.

Pros

We LOVE the ease of use! If we have questions, we just consult the "help" section. The calendar has been amazing and makes logging court dates and other important dates seamless. CLIO is always coming up with new improvements that make working more efficient. I especially love the Oustanding Balance feature.

Cons

I need to be able to run more reports. For instance, reports that provide me with the amount of business done in a specific area of practice. An automatic feature to remind clients that their bill is due would be great too. Maybe a reminder 2-3 days before and then a few days after if it hasn't been paid yet.

Response from Clio

Hi Nancy! Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review and share your experience so far. Glad you've found our help section to be useful. We're constantly working to improve the product, and reporting is definitely on our priority list, so hopefully we can solve some of your problems there. Thanks for being a customer, and let us know if you have any other suggestions! - Derek

Bert S.

Passing the blame....

Reviewed on 08/09/2020

Clio set us up for LawPay. Less than 1 week into this month we suddenly can't take anyone's payments. We call Clio and they tell us there is no problem, must be the customer's problem. On two separate occasions they told us there was no limit to the payments we could intake for bills. Finally contact Lawpay who says there is a limit, we exceeded it, and now we can't take another 70 some odd payments this month and the clients all think we are idiots. Why would they sign us up for a program that limits retainers and payments to $10,000 when Clio knows we have 4 full time employees based on the licensees we have?

Pros

I thought everything was integrated and intuitive.

Cons

Always something that seems like a simple question but impossible to find the answer. The live customer service has mislead us on two or more occasions.

Chelsea G.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Clio is an awesome cloud based practice management software!

Reviewed on 12/09/2017

Clio saves our firm time and money every day. We use it for just about everything!

Pros

Clio is great because it puts everything in one place and it integrates with tons of other apps to make life at the firm easier. It's a one stop shop for keeping track of the calendar, contacts, billable time, expenses, notes, and for saving and sharing correspondence and court documents with our clients. You can filter for just about anything and there are plenty of reports available as well. We also use Clio for billing and keeping track of client trust accounts. Overall, Clio is a great program and it saves our firm a ton of time and money!

Cons

My least favorite thing about Clio is the billing software. For our purposes, it just isn't very user-friendly. We have many clients with multiple matters that need to be billed separately and there's no way to compile all of the invoices for the same client and email them with a single payment link, which leaves us to download and email them separately with a payment link for LawPay (and then we have to individually record each payment). I think for most firms this wouldn't be a problem, but in our case, it takes extra time.

Craig M.

Great Firm Software

Reviewed on 07/08/2018

Excellent! My assistant works 300 miles from me in a different location out of her house. We are able to function well as a result of the ease of use of this software.

Pros

I have a small firm, with a lot of documents. Being able to upload everything and have it at my fingertips, whether on my computer, or phone, is invaluable. Also, I can work from anywhere. I am not tied to a specific computer where the software must be installed; everything is from the browser. Also, the functionality of being able to make the software categories, front page, etc., match whatever firm/law you want is great! Also the people at Clio listen and make software changes based on customer reviews.

Cons

Few complaints about the software. Would like the Edit button for the matter to be either left or right (have a choice.) When I split a screen on a laptop, I have to scroll over to edit.

Also, when uploading files, having the boxes shift up sooner would be helpful, so you can see the auto-populate.

Christine V.

Can't work without it!

Reviewed on 06/01/2020

Clio changed my practice. I went from barely billing and collecting, to being disciplined and regular in my billing. The client's love the professional and polished look of the bills. They also like the simplicity of the invoice itself, which minimizes billing questions for me! Also, anytime, literally anytime, I have had a question or problem or simply could not remember how to accomplish a task, the support personnel have been invaluable. I have never had a bad experience with the support team!

Pros

In my practice, the best thing about Clio is the ease of entering time and managing billing. Its easy to use and so convenient with the app. Can enter time, make notes, etc. during what would normally be down time, such as sitting in court waiting for hearing to begin.

Cons

For a solo, the cost seemed a bit high, but I believe I save (and bill) at least the monthly price.

David P.

Blind without Clio

Reviewed on 22/06/2019

Clio is the best at what cloud software should be (would someone talk to Microsoft and Adobe?) in that it regularly improves, add features and fixes, all for the same monthly investment that totally varies with the size of your organization. NO contracts or fixed pricing or expensive upgrades. Clio is the hub of my law firm in so many ways.

Pros

The end-to-end management from prospect tracking to billing. Clio Grow, the lead management software, provides great graphical reports of where your prospects come from, your pipeline value, and your close rate. Clio Manage does everything you expect from a practice management software and the billing program is fantastic, links with LawPay, which greatly increases the speed of my collections. So, yes, it is money in the bank.

Cons

It is probably pricier than most, but for a reason. Nothing compares. I've used practice management software since the early 90s at least. Clio started much later but lapped the competition.

Gottschalk debbra j 0.

Time Maximizer

Reviewed on 22/07/2019

Timekeeping and practice management have been completely streamlined, but I would want to improve the email communication feature within the app.

Pros

This cloud-based software gives you access to your business contacts, calendar, billing and more any time at any place. I have easily saved the money of hiring another person to help me manage my practice. You maximize your time most effectively with Clio.

Cons

The continuous updates: the fields move often and you have to relearn where your options are after each modification. Billing is cumbersome and inefficient, lacking in options to suspend printing for those clients who are in collections. Statements are not detailed enough but invoices are too large to mail out each month.

Response from Clio

Thank you for the feedback, Debbra! This has been shared with our Product Team, who will reach out if they require further context. This will help us provide more enabling launch and learning options within the Clio product.

Shane P.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Clio is an important part of our firm.

Reviewed on 11/12/2016

We are a small criminal defense firm in Texas and have been using Clio for several years. Presently, we have access for almost every member of our firm and each of us use Clio multiple times daily. The calendaring system, timekeeping, and invoice process have proven invaluable. We also use Clio to store documents such as offense reports, probable cause statements, notes, correspondence, etc. We are on our way to becoming a paperless office using Clio. I can access all of my files from any computer. We have been a little concerned about the accuracy of the app for our phones and iPads. Some of our attorneys have stopped using it. Every morning before court, I print out a copy of the day's agenda and bring it with me to court. Overall, I can unreservedly recommend Clio. It has been a huge boon to my firm and it has helped us grow enormously in the past few years.

Pros

Calendaring, timekeeping, and invoicing.

Cons

The apps for my phone and iPad are not reliable.