athenaOne

Write a Review!
EHR software for healthcare professionals

3.5/5
3.8/5
3.8/5
3.6/5

Melanie

Medical clinic emr

Reviewed on 18/03/2018

Pros

I loved using Athenaclinicals. It has lots of helpful learning modules to help train staff. Creating reports was a big help as well.

Cons

Clearing claim holds is a challenge because the language is not alwats easy to interpret! Offering learning modules would help.

Lori

Perfect for us!

Reviewed on 10/10/2023

In general I relate to the mission of Athena and see the work happening to address the hard issues in healthcare which feels supportive.

Pros

AthenaOne is focused on making the work we do each day simpler. They listen and use the customer voice to drive changes in the product.

Cons

First level case responses are gat don’t address the issue adequately.

Cerner Ambulatory EHR

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

The revenue cycle components that Athena makes available. The focus on outpatient care and the history of this focus.

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

The culture of athena, the pricing structure, easy to use ehr functionality.

Report Data is NOT true data

Reviewed on 20/04/2019

Overall experience is one of much dislike to having to "vote" to get improvements. If they wanted to build a practice customizable EMR, they missed the mark gravely. Changes happened in November to the UDS reporting capability. Reports for clinical data were a mess, unreasonable, and horribly incorrect. They need much help with writing the logic in their reporting criteria.

Pros

Facesheet shows all of the pertinent information on each patient before an encounter is open.
AS LONG AS the clinical staff have updated the chart correctly.

Cons

I am stating this as a personal opinion that does not represent my present or past employer. I have used this EMR for FIVE (5) years in front office. back office, management, and reports. There are too many workarounds for the providers and support staff. Their logic in reports is insane. Data does not pull accurately, so charts have to be manually checked to see if a measure is actually satisfied. Calling the CSC in FIVE years, has resulted in ONE (1) helpful specialist, the others always have to put in a further review case, which never gets answered logically. I ask specifics and am given back elusive answers that leave me feeling inept, and I know it is this system, not my experience or understanding. ACO and UDS reporting is LOGICAL. The number of patients in a measure, like tobacco screening and cessation, is the denominator. The number of patients that have been screened for use and cessation education is the numerator. Easy to understand. Except Athena report logic doesn't pull accurate data. I have had to manually look at charts to see if the work was done by the clinical staff and change my data reporting that way before I report it out, and as of yesterday, out of 564 charts that "need data" in this report, 75 out of 100 satisfied the measure within the chart but not within the report. This is one example of the problems with the Athena logic, and why I would never recommend this to any FQHC that needs to report data to CCPM, ACO or HRSA.

Colleen

Athena review

Reviewed on 18/10/2019

For the most part excellent. Upgrades and updates seem to have slowed down and I think Athena has leaned more on the Market Place Vendors and less on enhancing included offers. I have made suggestions over the years and have given up as I do not feel the suggestions postings are something that Athena has been able to keep up with.

Pros

Claims scrubbing software. Our claims go out clean and are paid quickly. Support with MIPS. Reporting capability. Athena Text messaging. Versatility, software runs on any device. Athena text messaging. Monthly account manager calls and metrics. Partnership. Ease of creating order sets and working in clinicals. Market place partnerships are great and enhance the software and functions. Not afraid to be disruptive and things up looking for best and innovative practices.

Cons

Collector and Communicator insurance card copy do not communicate. Hoping one day soon you will be able to interface with EPIC. The reporting is so good that sometimes I need more support to ensure I am selecting the correct criteria.

Prime Suite

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

User friendly, partnership, and overall program functions. Collector (claims scrubbing software), reporting, training, training/test site and learning portal. I had an on boarding team with Athena and my practice. The support and time we took to on board were invaluable. I loved Athena's Mission, values and vision. The MV&V was once on business cards, I really liked that, not sure what happened and haven't checked to see if it changed.
Julie

Bells and whistles

Reviewed on 14/10/2019

We are a Family Medicine Residency which makes managing the clinic more complex for us than most clinics because our providers are all part-time, there's Faculty over site of the Residents, and they are learning. We went live 2 1/2 years ago with 75 end-users and have been very successful with Athena. Implementation took about 2 1/2 months and was up to full schedules within 5 weeks of go-live. We've added on Dulcian CCM software which has helped us earn a lot of income doing CCM just documenting time we were missing in our old EHR. We've also implemented electronic check in which has helped get more historical information in our charts and more screeners completed on our patients. We realized a 1 FTE decrease in Medical Records and have realized savings in other areas.

Pros

There are lots of bells and whistles built into the software and they are moving towards releasing more and improving all the time. Free interfaces make life so much easier for us! Athena listens to users when developing the software, they are visionary with future software needs in order to meet MIPS requirements. Implementation was big but there were people helping us through each step. We have an amazing Account Manager and meet with him once a month to go over open issues and discuss financials. Athena is overall a very forward-thinking company. Athena Marketplace has lots of add-on features to help make your staff's lives easier. We've acclimated well.

Cons

The tickler system for follow up visits are subject to user errors and need constant review. However, honestly, most recall appointment tools usually do because patients just don't return on time or try to get as much time in between visits as possible. Task assignment over rides (TAO) take some getting used to and are hard to filter for some incoming document situations. I wish there were more filters on the TAOs. Our patients feel like we over-communicate with them so if you go with Athena, make sure you start asking the patients their communication preferences from the first new appointment they schedule with you. It's important to get phone calls unchecked if they do not want reminders in several ways for the same thing. Call campaigns to get patients back in for visits are embellished with their wording and can contradict what you said in your message. ie: You do not need an appointment to get your labs drawn. Then Athena adds You are due for an appointment in the email and you don't even know they are saying that to patients so something to watch. All software has things we wish were different.

EpicCare

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

The technology was not keeping up especially in the electronic exchange of records area and making sure we'd have all the tools we needed to meet MIPs.

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

More freedom to do what we wanted with the product. We're a clinic and Epic was more of a software to use for a hospital system.
WHITNEY

Very Disappointing

Reviewed on 17/01/2024

Very disappointed and the case support is a waste of time. They tell you they will help you with claims but when you reach out to Athena for help they make excuses, take way too long to help, or never fix the issue.

Pros

At first, I thought it was more user-friendly because it has a lot of potential.

Cons

There are so many issues trying to bill claims and Athena users are writing off claims without allowing us to rework the claims losing our organization money $$$$$

Abigail
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Excellent product, poor onboarding implementation.

Reviewed on 21/08/2023

AthenaOne allowed our business to consolidate many of our third-party apps into one complete EHR system.

Pros

AthenaOne is an all-in-one EHR system that has most, if not all, the features one could want in their EHR. If you wish to consolidate your softwares into one product, AthenaOne is a good option.

Cons

The worst part of AthenaOne was the lengthy onboarding process. While it is to be expected when switching EHR systems, our original sales representative did not give an accurate impression of just how extensive and lengthy the implementation is. Expect to need several full time employees working only on integration for several months.

Tebra

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

Valant has poor customer service and is less than satisfactory. It does not have many integrated features, meaning that other third-party applications are needed.

Valant EHR Suite

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

Athena was faster to reach out and provide a demo. Pricing with athena is a percentage, Kareo is a flat fee.
Kathryh
Kathryh

Postive Pro's, Countless Cons

Reviewed on 26/04/2018

Easy access to clinical providers through Athena Secure Messaging for almost instantaneous responses.

Pros

Athena Clinicals makes communication a breeze with Athena Text, secure messaging, Patient Case options and special documentation options for any and all patient/clinical staff needs.

Cons

The medical records system continues to be a painful process through Athena for patients and clinical staff alike. Scanning in documents to not have the information show up in the charting system/ only working with Athena capable providers successfully most of the time makes this a tedious process and errors common.

Angela

Athena One review

Reviewed on 22/04/2024

Pros

Compact and real-time medication history taking serves its purpose in maintaining accurate data records.

Cons

So far, all key features work accordingly in accessing necessary records.

Asif
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

AthenaOne overall review

Reviewed on 04/04/2024

Pros

Portal is quite straightforward and easy to navigate.

Cons

Some on-screen formatting is at times difficult to interpret.

Stephen

AthenaHealth meets our needs

Reviewed on 11/10/2019

My previous experience is with a large health organization with a home grown EHR. As I was involved in the design of that system, I was initially worried about moving to a vendor product. Thankfully that design experience helped me in the transition over to Athena and allowed my organization to anticipate and mitigate issues with data conversion and implementation that many organizations struggle with when changing systems. Overall our transition was smooth and resulted in minimal loss of productivity.

Pros

Easy to use with an intuitive interface that works well for ambulatory providers
Company is responsive to issues and "flow-busters"
Near zero downtime
Revenue stream up significantly

Cons

Athena may not be tailor made to my specialty, but that is a small trade off for up time and interoperability

EpicCare, NextGen Office and Office Practicum

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

For my practice, the decision to go with Athena, was based on the fact that we had been using their practice management system for a number of years. Thus the transition to the full EHR system enabled us to minimize cost with implementation and data conversion.

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

In evaluating systems, far too many providers underestimate the human factors in transition and only focus on the bottom line cost. I've seen many institutions pay low money up front for a system only to be nickel and dimed for every customization. This is not the case with Athena. There may be a higher up front cost with Athena per user, but down the road, these costs balance over time. As someone with a significant amount of EHR design knowledge, I find most of the comments have been over the fact that this system doesn't cater to the individual, but the truth of the matter is that in order for a could based system to function effectively, it must meet the needs of the majority rather than the individual.
Kimberly

Medical practice--My way

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

AthenaHealth EHR is an affordable way for a small practice to have a quality EHR. I pay a percent of my collections. I like the tie between what I get paid determines what Athena gets paid. That gives Athena a healthy interest in my business' financial performance.

Pros

I love that I have the ability to customize my order sets and templates. I also like that I can draw on the expertise of other medical practice templates so that I didn't have to re-invent the wheel in many instances!

Cons

Sometimes there is a hesitation in changing "pages". It is a cloud based software so my local internet and the internet where the software is located do play into the speed of use.

Amber

Not Tested Prior to Release- Lost Features

Reviewed on 20/07/2016

On 7/14, I was notified by a member of our clinical staff that the entire practice would need to go through this training, that it wasn't only for the nurses and physicians. I called Athena for verification and was told that only nurses and physicians needed to follow the training guides.; that it would not affect Billing or any other department. When I pulled the individual within my practice who pointed this out to me to discuss the issue with the Athena rep on the phone, we pointed out that there was special training specifically for the Front Desk Receptionists. It was also mentioned that the Classic view would go away, leaving a Non-Clinician and Clinician view. These affect the entire practice. The rep changed his answer to it may be beneficial to let your receptionists know of this training, but no one else needs it. I went home that even and sat through all of the training. Out entire staff did need to review this information, clinical staff needed Clinical information while clerical staff needed the Front Desk piece because it touched on many things that everyone uses: how to find documents, how to find tasks, how to change views, etc. Friday I sent all clerical staff an e-mail letting them know that training needed to be completed by Monday evening as we had been mislead by Athena, that it wasn't just clinical staff that needed this training, that this new rollout would affect everyone. 7/19 was chaotic because the print margins were reset on many computers to enable shrink to fit with this update, which was not selected before. All of our forms were printing miniaturized until this was figured out. Formatting changes made prior reports read as garbled nonsense. Diagnosis codes were taken away from an area we reference on a daily basis. Instead of going to the chart and clicking on something we want to print (two clicks), it now takes at least 5 clicks (Chart>Visits>Date>Double Arrow>Full Encounter>Print). Half of the time, this does not even print and I have to open up Google Chrome to which it prints a few words and the top two lines of the dictation on page one and the rest of the dictation is on page two. Instead of being able to print 1 page (old facesheet) that has the demographics, insurance, and upcoming appt. on it for our facilities to load our patients into their system for injections, it is no longer an option. When you try to print similar page, the text overlaps and prints on top of each other. Summary: many useful features removed.

Pros

1) You can access the phone number from the chart.
2) You can reference visit notes while creating a patient case.

Cons

Having to click multiple places to get to a document that you used to be able to automatically view and print is extremely inefficient. Many useful features that were used on a daily basis have been completely taken away. Athena reps were also rude and untrained. One of our employees actually had to show them how to do something. This should have been tested in a test environment before rolling out live. IT should talk with the daily users prior to making a significant change like this.

Robert
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Unhappy user of this least bad EHR

Reviewed on 29/11/2015

Pros

It is integrated EMR, Billing and Care Management that does help address PCMH, MU, and other complex Government/Insurer issues. First pass billing and payment process works fairly well and seems efficient when there are no errors (see below). Cost is reasonable for the services provided.

Cons

The base code is absolutely awful. This leads to repeated problems with your interface, incompatibilities, and slow response. If you surf employment sites you will find this a recurring theme noted by ex-employees.

The product has many features that increase the chance for human error and patient harm, and the company refuses to admit or deal with these issues, in fact compounding basic problems in the years I have used it. This user interface would be unacceptable in the aviation industry. Isn't healthcare supposed to be as safety-driven as aviation? Medication lists are not presented in a user friendly way and don't show the difference between what patient was taking before the visit and what has been changed or started/stopped in a meaningful way during and after the visit. This is one of the most dangerous aspects of this software, but by no means the only patient safety issue. When you get a request for a refill, it takes several clicks and screens to find the med history before you make the refill, encouraging you to skip this vital workflow, and penalizing you for following this standard of care if you do follow the workflow.

The support center includes a "community" where you can share your problems and solutions with other users. But it is basically an echo chamber, as the company openly bans anyone who makes repeated negative comments about the product. If you don't agree to their draconian Terms of Use you can't even access this area to get help or learn about the latest updates.

My documentation time per patient after the visit is about 10-12 minutes on average. I refuse to boilerplate my documentation - I deliver personalized care. I have tried to get dictation software from the athenahealth partner Dragon which I believe would shorten this to about 1 minute, but 2 months ago I made my first request to Dragon and still have not heard back after 4 additional attempts from within and outside of athenahealth. If you by Dragon direct, you don't get full interoperability, according to athenahealth. Right now I have zero interoperability.

Too many clicks. I quote another provider who switched to another EMR locally when I asked why he switched out.

Patient Portal does not allow patient to upload a graphic. "Hey Doc, is this a mole I need to worry about?" "Here's what my incision site looks like, is it OK?" "This is the pill the pharmacy gave me, it looks different" and "What the heck is this rash?" are questions you can answer quickly saving patients and you time and effort with other EMR portals. Not athenahealth.

Sheena

5 Star Review

Reviewed on 16/02/2017

Our office went live with Athena Communicator and Collector in September of 2013. We had previously used 2 other billers and schedulers/management systems at that point and I have to say we are all glad that we chose Athena. The customer service department and our implementation team were beyond helpful. We appreciate that Athena is ever changing, and always looking to improve the ease of business and quality of care. As we know, no product is ever perfect, but Athena comes pretty darn close. The team at Athena actively listens to concerns and suggestions from their customers. I have dealt with many companies who "understand your struggle" but can't do anything about it or "are very sorry, but that's just the way it is". Athena, is NOT that type of company. They have interactive message boards that you can talk to other practices having issues and also Athena team members, so together a plan can be created to alleviate the problems you are having. Not to say EVERYTHING can be as perfect as you want it, but there have been enough changes in Athena where the direct action was taken from a concern or complaint that makes us as a customer feels valued and understood. A real testament to Athena should be that we looked at their Clinicals product in 2013, but our provider didn't see enough of what he was looking for to change from our current EMR to Athena Clinicals at that time. However, at the end of 2016 we revisited the idea and did some more demos, the Clinical product has changed so much (in a good way) that we have chosen to switch and are looking at implementation in March of 2017. All of our office staff and our providers feel that Athena is a solid product that helps us streamline our workflows and provide better patient care. We are very excited to embark on our next Athena journey and couldn't be happier with the products and support.

Pros

Ease of Use, Rarely any system downtimes or system issues, Receptive customer service and account managers, Transparency you can see everything that has happened and who did it

Cons

This product is the most costly that we have used, however, we have definitely made more in revenue by using Athena than not.

Meredith
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

year 1 of pure and utter hell

Reviewed on 26/01/2018

i am so sick of apologizing to patients, looking like i am a moron and staying hours later ( sometimes 1am compared to previous (functional) ehr where 730pm was the record and i’d occasionally miss the gym before closing...now i have suspended the gym membership). do not get. if you have any standards and clicking boxes does not suffice for your standards, or if you expect reliability and functionality, this ehr will drive you mad!!!

Pros

it’s search feature was useful ONE TIME compared to our old ehr. ..the training team was nice and appeared competent. appreciate e-prescribing controlled substances WHEN IT actually WORKS AND ACTUALLY GETS THERE AFTER YOU’VE BEEN ALERTED THAT IT HAD!!!!!!!!!

Cons

I am facile in computers and code to some extent. i am picky about my notes but am creative and work around a lot of garbage and always have without as much as a groan and am considered quite agreeable. HOWEVER, the word ATHENA incites rage in me. portal doesn’t work. can’t preload notes until pt checked in. this is bad for new patients in my specialty. when highlighting text, it does not overwrite. you have to press delete and type. finding documents is a frickin scavenger hunt. 5 or 6 clicks before you can even start seeing a pt. viewing labs is torture. viewing med list is torture. documents get redirected capriciously when scanned. one hopes and prays an rx went through when it said it did. we have initiated a boatload of safety concerns to our quality department but get tired of doing it. customer support...god help me. portal does NOT work. can’t dispose of certain things on your dang list until weeks of dedicated manpower exhausted. when things supposedly fixed, they will not tell you what the issue was or how they fixed it AND IT STILL DOESN’T WORK. Feedback on labs from provider ( and pretty much anything) involves an archaeological dig to unearth. reminders for appointments via text cannot be adjusted so for a 15 min earlier arrival ( thus pts get rather upset)...i’ve been told of billing quirks (it was supposed to be our savior or something). communication with other healthcare systems blows as no one else was stupid enough to get this. problem lists are imported from the previous (functional) ehr and translated into things like “rage and unsocialized behavior in an adult” when original dx was something like “anger issue”...leaving some pts in tears before you talk them down...some documents sent to you are never received. so hard to differentiate to a pt the origin of an error. you look like you don’t know jack to a pt when using this ehr saying things like (after several deep breaths)...” if they said they sent it, it’s very possible they did; however i do not see it ...i would recommend that they mail the document to me as if they fax it, it will be hijacked by the system....here is an addressed, stamped envelope for them to send it in...i greatly apologize for the delay this has caused in your treatment.”.

Yagnesh

AthenaOne is a great resource for medical professionals looking to modernize their office and...

Reviewed on 17/03/2023

Overall, AthenaOne is an excellent platform for healthcare providers to use for improved quality care and better business results.

Pros

I like that AthenaOne provides an integrated suite of tools and services to help providers manage their practice and ensure quality care. The medical record is comprehensive and easy to use, and payment capabilities are streamlined. It also includes integration with a clinical network that provides access to additional resources. In addition, the patient engagement feature helps build relationships and facilitate better care.

Cons

The least favorite part of AthenaOne is that it can be a bit expensive to purchase and implement. It may also require additional training to get the most out of its features. However, the cost and time invested in AthenaOne is worth it when considering the long-term benefits it provides.

Vicki

EHR for Doctors Office

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

We really have not had any issues on the EHR side with Athena. I have run into some issues on the billing side and processing of payments, etc.

Pros

The implementation was easy to set-up. Athena was a big help in creating forms and letters. The tempplates are easy to set-up and modify as well. Once the forms have been created you can also make changes to them as well. The order of the check-in through check-out process is set-up in a way that is easy to navigate and goes in order of how you treat your patient. The best part is that Athena takes care of the MIPS, MACRA, etc data that is needed for Medicare without adding additional work for the staff. I like the fact that there are less documents that require scanning, since all of our faxes go directly into the system and are attached directly to the patient's record. The reporting options are also very good with this system.

Cons

I really don't dislike anything about the software, other than it would be nice to track letters that are sent to the patients. So you can print off collection letters or follow-up letters and it would automatically record that a letter went to the patient, without you having to make a notation.

catherine
  • Industry: Medical Practice

truly the easiest EMR/billing system to use

Reviewed on 01/03/2018

5 years ago, during the quality reporting for reimbursement, Athena made it so simple and easy that i was shocked to learn that it took a fellow friend 2 months to complete her reporting where it took me 30 minutes. providing patients with detailed information on their insurance benefits and the life of claim creates better communication and cohesion for the clinic/patient relationship. as a provider, the easy customization for templates, use of templates and the ability to actively follow medical orders (referrals, lab orders, pharm scripts) and their order created-results received "circular completion" making quick response corrections easier as well. having online doctor information, calculating by type of physician, practice, distance from your location and easy searches is a delightful feature for scribes and physicians alike. i have used an number of EMR systems, web-based and online, and this is by far the best i have ever used.

Pros

from the clerical input, insurance checking/info response, patient input, dx order features, sign off and the visual, detail of the LIFEspan of a claim, orders require "circle completion," the ease of quality reporting requirements...i could go on an on with the amazing functionality features of this program.

Cons

it is expensive, but it eliminates the need to hire for areas of administration. what I would pay for 1-3 people to do, Athena provides an entire team of people, thus creating a quicker turn around time for appeals, the need to call insurance companies. the implementation period is overwhelming, and going live will make you question yourself and your desicion. but, so worth it.

Brook

Very dissappointed

Reviewed on 05/10/2021

Poor. what else can i say? If you had a question, you were routed to someone in pakistan who knew little to nothing about your billing but would read a paragraph they were given to tell you. It was silly.
Seriously, most of you know all billing companies kinda suck. But this is one of the worst. Athena was the main reason I closed by private practice. I considered switching billing companies, but I just got tire of dealing with it. Take my advice, DO NOT use AthenaOne for billing. The EMR portion is soso, middle of the road. Billing portion is 3 thumbs down.

Pros

not what it was advertised to be.
was also told that data migration would be seamless if i left; turns out I cant migrate anything. "termination team" still has not been assigned despite notice given to leave 3mo ago

Cons

Athena did a good job on selling me that all billing would be handled and I would need to put very little effort into this aspect. It couldnt have been further from the truth. In actuality, I needed to hire a full time biller to review the deficiencies created by Athena. The billing process is not run by billers, it is run by a software program. charges sat in a "bucket" until the charges were no longer valid due to untimely billing. I lost out on so much billing its sickening.

Jennifer

Frustrating!

Reviewed on 02/05/2017

I started working w/Athena in Aug 2016. Since then our Admin has been advising me to call or web chat, search online & use the search features Athena has to offer. I have NEVER gotten a question resolved by calling. I end up walking the "helper" through the features & page. This was very upsetting. I've been put on hold for 20 minutes at a time while an "advisor" looks up a solution in their manual. As a result, I hung up in frustration. I then received an e-mail confirming my problem had been resolved. What a joke! That seems like it is just to appease the numbers needed. There are no training manuals, no courses to take & definitely nobody to teach a person how to use this program. A rep. who no longer works for Athena set us up years ago. This is not geared towards a specific practice, which is even more frustrating. Hopefully, you can respect the time I took to write this review & improve your program. It would be great to receive training as well, or at least an instruction manual.

Pros

billing features are simple; insurance program automatically runs insurances to see if they are active

Cons

I've been in Ophthalmology for over 15 years. As a scheduling manager, the features are not user-friendly, as I have worked with 4 different programs. Look to NextGen for template applications & features. It would be great to implement them to Athena. There are color coded columns, ability to apply templates over templates without taking out exception days, ability to write a VISIBLE book note at the top of the doctor's schedule to alert the schedules, etc. Also, the features include looking a multiple doctors schedules at a time and even ability to view several different books or multiple doctors!

Athena makes my job mostly easier.

Reviewed on 25/05/2022

Pros

The workflow of Athena is excellent and uses common sense. E-prescribing, integrated fax, communication among office employees is a must.

Cons

There are a lot of steps to go through from chart completion to claim submission. Sometimes it feels like there is a lot of double work happening.
Athena does not know much medical terminology and often tells me that I am misspelling things when I know them to be correct.
I wish that the dictation portion were free.

EpicCare

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

Claim management. Practice growth.

EpicCare and EHR 24/7

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

Cost and ease of implementation.
April

Streamlined is a Bad Product

Reviewed on 24/08/2016

Pros

It is cloud based.

The Resource Hub connects you with other users that help you devise work arounds to handle the issues with the software.

Cons

The Classic Version was very customizable, easy to learn, easy to use. The Streamlined Version is a washed down version of what their Classic was. Their idea of Streamlined is to limit the customization ability, to make each office workflow the same despite specialty and to code the program to look more like an App. You will be encouraged to post suggestions on an internal board for updates and changes but even if hundreds of users agree with you that won't mean they will make a change. You lose a lot of control. There are issues with offshore posting and you will not be able to talk to someone about these issues. The training is all videos that are not specific to your office type. Account managers change often and will route you to call the Customer Service Center instead of answering questions. The reps at the Customer Service Center after often nice enough but the internal training seems to be lacking because you are often waiting weeks for an answer to something and/or something that is obviously a big issue is disregarded and you will be told that it is working as designed. The streamlined roll out, support, and willingness to work with the clients is disappointing to say the least. They took a decent product and they wrecked it and give no option to delay or keep the product that actually worked right. Also there is no tech support for their patient portal which has a lot of issues and my practice fields a great deal of phonecalls from patients who have trouble accessing it.

Tamara

functional but time-consuming EMR

Reviewed on 19/07/2016

Had a previous EMR from 2008-2014 that was much more pediatric-specific and pediatric-friendly. Had to make a switch when Meaningful Use happened, and Athena seemed the best of the options. It is not nearly as peds-friendly, and there is MUCH more clicking every day, every hour, every encounter. Whereas moving from paper to EMR originally sped up my work, moving from our first EMR to Athena did not speed things up and seems overall to slow things down in fact.

Pros

smart lists that know what orders might go with what diagnoses
ability to remind patients of next appointments, vaccines, etc.
ease of creating reports about anything
integration of Portal with EMR

Cons

no "office view". This is the single most frustrating part about Athena. In our old EMR, I could easily see what patients were in what room waiting for one doctor in the office all at once. THat's not possible with Athena, and without that, I will never feel completely happy with the system.

I also hate how difficult it is to quickly look at recent visits, because the "Visits" tab includes phone calls, and other "encounters" that aren't the same as visits.

The new streamlined version makes taking care of quality parameters impossible because of the time involved to click and wait on each one. (In the previous version, I could click on everything that was satisfied outside of Athena and then save it at once). Now I just ignore that tab due to time.

Athena in Healthcare

Reviewed on 16/04/2020

AthenaOne takes time to learn, but once you get the hang of it, I feel that it is straightforward. You have to learn it's nuances. From there, it is a simplified tool to help track patients, keep tasks on track & provide patient-centered care.

Pros

I think athena has many great features. It is easy to visualize the patient's demographics and recent notes about them, from your own clinic or others in the network. I love that you are able to keep up-to-date this way. For example, before seeing a patient who you referred last visit to a specialist, being able to see their assessment is quick and user friendly. Overall, I love working with athena's dashboard to keep an eye on multiple providers' buckets.

Cons

I think athena takes time to get use to. There is a lot of 'clicking' involved. For example, it has a new feature with one of it's latest updates that leaves a patient case in 'data entry' until the user selects the option saying 'data entry complete' and saves it. This is an additional step that has caused some issues with providers placing cases in the wrong place or not closing them properly.