PayPal

4.7 (25,138)
Write a Review!
Comprehensive solution to serve your business needs.

(25,138)

Jake
Jake

A User-Friendly Invoicing System and Accounting System

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Great so far. I don't see us switching to any other invoicing platform anytime soon.

Pros

The thing that led us over to PayPal was how easily integrated it was with other platforms as well as how familiar everyone already is with it. The pricing is competitive per transaction and it easily allows for international invoicing and payment. It also made it really easy for our accountant to understand the layout of it.

Cons

The only thing I didn't like at first was that I typically associate PayPal with a cash app between non-professional relationships. After seeing their invoicing system, I was immediately impressed.

QuickBooks Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing PayPal

We made the switch because more people were familiar with PayPal and it made sense to do so. Plus, we weren't sure how simple it was to invoice and collect payment from international clients. With PayPal, we knew how easy it would be.

Wave

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

It came down to pricing and functionality. PayPal offered the same features without the monthly fees.
Ben

Great payment provider, could do with more methods though

Reviewed on 17/06/2024

My overall experience with PayPal in the 10+ years I have used them has been good, as my main source of income is with PayPal where I can accept card payments and PayPal balance payments. I will continue to use them for as long as they remain one of the best payment merchants in the world.

Pros

I love that PayPal is very easy to implement and has a great amount of API features, scripts, and its own balance so you can import funds from elsewhere such as your bank or have money sent to you without the need for a bank, PayPal is widely accepted in multiple countries and is currently the most used payment method, especially for automation, on my whole website.

Cons

I wish PayPal would accept more payment methods such as Bitcoin, decrease their chargeback fee and allow more countries to use them. I hope their support can improve slightly as well as most of the time they do not understand my query or give an irrelevant solution.

Daniel

Stay far away from paypal

Reviewed on 03/07/2024

Horrible service. Use to be great but now they are idiot's

Horrible service. Use to be great but now they are idiot's

Pros

Use to like paypal but recent change by paypal to account limits is bull.

Cons

I have always been pleased with paypal but now am pissed. There are holding almost 12k in funds from my customer for there room addition and want to micro mange me and m6 business and that is not going to fly. By by paypal...

Destiny
  • Industry: Design

A decent payment processing solution with some drawbacks

Reviewed on 08/05/2024

I think overall PayPal is okay, but many of the issues I've had, had the potential to turn into a lot bigger issues. I would say it's probably no longer the best option for payment processing.

Pros

They have one of the shorter wait times for payouts/balance transfers compared to other platforms I've used. Many people are familiar with them and many companies/organizations still use them which often lends itself to an easier check out process. I like that it has pay later options for my clients.

Cons

Paypal was once one of the most trusted and secure payment processors, but there have been many points of failure over the years and I am not as confident about it as I once was. I have previously had some issues with fraudulent purchases made using my account. In my experience their customer service has not been the best often because of language barriers leading to my concerns not being understood/addressed. I don't like how difficult it is to change the settings so that non-PayPal users can make payments using PayPal. The buyer-protection is not great either, I purchased a product that was misrepresented in the photos and description and even when I couldn't get a hold of the company to go through with returning it, PayPal would not grant me a refund. The same thing happened when a company that was going out of business kept recurring charges going even though they were no longer providing me the service and hadn't for months, I sent PayPal all requested documentation and they didn't refund me or remedy the issue at all.

Square Payments and Stripe
ADRIANO

Fast processing

Reviewed on 12/06/2024

Overall, it's been a good experience. We use Paypal services on a daily basis.

Overall, it's been a good experience. We use Paypal services on a daily basis.

Pros

The process of sending and/ or receiving payments is very fast and easy.

Cons

Depending on the type of transaction the processing fee could be a little high.

Kalina
Kalina

Why Should You Give PayPal A Try?

Reviewed on 29/05/2024

Pros

I would say the best qualities when it comes to using PayPal is extremely fast payments, many features available for businesses and personal use, and the pricing.

Cons

PayPal is great most of the time, but i do have to say a negative to using them would be getting ahold of customer support quickly when you need assistance.

francisco

honest opinion

Reviewed on 22/05/2024

In general, I believe it is one of the best, or even the best payment processor today,

Pros

the entire sending and receiving transaction process

Cons

without a doubt these are the fees charged per transaction, I think they are a little high

Ashley
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Great for invoices!

Reviewed on 13/06/2024

Pros

Sending invoices via Paypal is so smooth and easy! You can set up options for recurring billing also.

Cons

The fees are a bit high, but i factor that into my product pricing.

Joel
  • Industry: Photography

Essential for buisiness

Reviewed on 28/06/2024

I've used it both personally and professionally for the last decade and it's been reliable and an important tool in my business. I appreciate the tools within the platform that allow me to build buttons or shopping carts and also allow me to see different transactions quickly and effectively.

Pros

Worldwide recognition and trusted platform. I like how easy it is to integrate into existing webpages or other features. Quick payments and organizational tools within the platform.

Cons

I haven't found anything I dislike about PayPal.

Katelynn
  • Industry: Automotive

Absolutely recommend

Reviewed on 17/06/2024

Pros

It is very easy to use and easy to see everything it offers.

Cons

I like everything about paypal and have no complaints.

Beth

PayPal Streamlines a Small Business's Flow of Money

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

PayPal is an indispensable part of my small business.

PayPal is an indispensable part of my small business.

Pros

PayPal not only makes sending and receiving money super easy, with a business account it tracks everything and creates reports that come tax time makes preparing your return super easy. On the rare occasions I have had to interface with customer service, it has always been a pleasant and productive interaction

Cons

The transfer can be slower than other services. Other services can do instant transfer but for this you have to pay extra with PayPal.

Venmo

Reasons for Choosing PayPal

PayPal is much more than just a money transfer service and assists me in organizing and staying on top of accounting.

Venmo
Emeka
Emeka
  • Used for 2+ years

A Widely Used Payment Processor

Reviewed on 30/12/2019

I use PayPal to make payments for goods and services for my business. It's also used to accept payments. Generally, PayPal is a cool payment processor.

Pros

I like PayPal for some reasons. Among the reasons for which I like PayPal include:

1. Ability to make payments without exposing my credit card details: Credit card fraud and identity theft is a trending menace nowadays. One is at a very high risk of having his/her credit card information stolen when the card is used on insecure websites. With PayPal I don't have to bother about my credit card information as I only have to sign in to my PayPal account and then proceed to making payment without having to expose my credit card information on the third-party website.

2. Ability to receive payment using only an email address: I love it that I can use my verified PayPal account's email address to receive money from anyone with a PayPal account.

3. Ability to integrate PayPal payment processor without much technicalities involves: I was able to integrate the PayPal payment processor to my ecommerce website in just a few minutes without having to do much technical stuffs.

4. Moderate payment processing charges: The charges by PayPal while using their payment gateway is moderate compared to that of some other payment processors. I had tried using a payment processor whose charges were quite high.

Cons

I have some problems with PayPal.

One of the problems is that PayPal is not available is some countries, and this is a limitation to expanding to such countries.

Secondly, PayPal have an history of limiting people's accounts for some hard to understand reasons. The issue is that once an account is limited, it is very hard or impossible to get back the money in the account.

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

I chose PayPal over stripe because it seem to be a more preferred option for drop shipping.
Sam
  • Industry: Automotive

PayPal is the very best way for my customers and I to take care of business transactions.

Reviewed on 12/04/2020

I love PayPal, I love the ease of service, how widely applicable PayPal services are in not just or country but in the entire world. PayPal is accepted most everywhere and more people feel comfortable when issuing me for my services through PayPal. Therefore [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has brought my business actual revenue I wouldn't have had simply for customers being at ease with PayPal.

Pros

PayPal is hands down the best provider of Point of sale services and that includes any of the free associated with using PayPal services. (Just make sure you get the business prepaid debit card)!

Cons

The fact that they have so many restrictions and safegaurds. It is a good thing to have safegaurds in place to protect not only customers and your clients, but also in orienting the laws of our land, but really PayPal? You do to much and that's got to cost you gotta money.

Sarah
Sarah

Great for both businesses and personal use!

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

PayPal is one of the best commerce software out there for both business and personal use. Their online website and mobile app are both very easy to use, when both paying and requesting payments. PayPal has been my go-to payment method for over 10 years, and I've never had any big issues with it. I've always receive payments to my bank accounts within a timely manner, and their customer service team is very helpful as well.

Pros

PayPal is one of the commerce platforms I have used for the longest time. I've used it both for businesses and personal use, and it's never let me down. It's super easy to send money to individuals both on their website and mobile app, and I love that you can write specific notes within each payment. It links seamlessly to your bank accounts, and I always receive payouts quickly. When requesting payments, I love the "reminder" feature where you can politely nudge someone for a payment. It's also easy to pull historical statements for accounting purposes.

Cons

It's annoying that there are transaction fees when you have a business account, though this is not something you can avoid with any e-commerce platform. They all charge fees, but PayPal is actually reasonably priced and competitive compared to other platforms like Stripe or Square, so it's not a huge negative aspect of the platform. My personal PayPal has also been hacked before through eBay back in 2015. There was an unknown foreign charge on there, which was a little concerning since PayPal is linked to my bank accounts. Luckily PayPal customer service was able to refund me the amount and help me set up two-step authentication for security purposes. I have not gotten hacked since!

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

We considered Stripe when setting up our business commerce accounts for our company, but we ended up going with PayPal since it was a little more user-friendly. The transaction fees are comparative, but we like how easy it is to pull historical statements from PayPal. We also feel like it's a little more professional since it's been around longer.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Great to Use as a Freelancer

Reviewed on 27/02/2021

It's a site and tool that I've been using for years and will continue to do so. For international purchases, it quickly connects your bank account and you can pay with a few clicks which makes life so much easier. From my experience, it's also safe and will be great if it gets introduced as a payment method by more local stores as well. If you're looking for a quick and easy way to move your money or pay online, highly recommended.

Pros

I used PayPal for years in getting money earned from Fiverr to my local bank account. It's such an easy and straightforward tool that I always recommended it to other sellers as well, as opposed to one of the competitors which at the time had very limited features. Easy to use, user-friendly and works great in making that connection between freelancing platforms and bank accounts. Even more, I also used it a lot in ordering online as it was very advantageous when I didn't want to wait for the bank to process the transfer..

Cons

Although I rarely had issues with PayPal, I did one time experience a very difficult situation as my account had to be verified by bank statements or bills that should show the address that I live at with my name on it. The bank that I was working on didn't have that option to include address and as a student at the time I didn't have any bills with the address on my name which made it very difficult. Took a lot of back and forth with customer support which is why I would recommend to have more options available to verify users rather than the standard ones which don't apply to any location world wide. However, this was just one time issue and every other interaction with PayPal has been highly positive.

Maciej

Leader in the market, but sometimes there will be hassle.

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

Thanks to PayPal I have a foolproof way to receive payments from abroad, but their rates are a little bit higher than in other payment gateways. That's why I use it as a backup payment system, because it's not integrated with instant transfers from banks (at least in Poland, I know that you can set it up for example in UK). Customers in Poland prefer to pay with instant bank transfers, that's one thing that PayPal lacks.

Pros

PayPal is a universal, global payment system. I use it not only personally, to receive and send money, but mostly as a payment gateway. Payments go smoothly. It should satisfy all those who want to do business on-line. I like the option to generate quick buttons.

Cons

Deployment (in self-written script) and automation of sales are a little bit harder. Maybe it's because I'm a newbie to programing, but I remembered that setting sandbox account and getting through documentation wasn't that easy. Plus, sometimes navigating through options in menu that I use less is pretty complicated and confusing. That's the only thing that makes me roll my eyes.

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

Reason was simple: Stripe is less known in Poland than PayPal, therefore I chose the latter one.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Paypal has Helped my Online Shopping be Secure and a Piece of Cake!

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

Overall, I think Paypal is a livesaver for anyone who is dealing with transactions online. In this day in age, security is a huge issue, and scammers are on the rise, and you dont want that to hinder you from making purchases online, so paypal gives me the sense of security when shopping.

Pros

I've been using Paypal for several years now ever since I started my online shopping adventures. Paypal offers many pros of using their service. One of my favorites, and the ease of being able to have my money in my paypal balance and be able to shop literally on several sites which allows me to choose paypal as my payment method with ease. Also, paypal offers secure transactions that are made quick, and not to mention buyer protection on all of your orders, no matter what site you are using, you will be protected. I'm a heavy user of ebay, and Paypal has protected me many of times when I came upon scam sellers on ebay who took off with my money, but since I used paypal as my preferred method , I was able to dispute it with them and they helped get my money back. Another awesome pro about Paypal is that they offer their Papyal Mastercard which you can receive % cashback whenever you use your card. This has earned me soooo much cashback over the years, it accumulates over a month, each month you get a nice chunk of change back.

Paypal also offers features for business owners, and invoicing features to help move your online business and transactions along easily. In my previous jobs, I've utilized Paypal in creating invoices for my customers, and managing all kinds of transactions. If you plan to start doing online shopping , I highly suggest signing up with Paypal, they are trustworthy and will have your back if you run into trouble.

Cons

The cons for Paypal are little to none to be honest. Only thing I would say would be their customer service. It isnt the fastest to get ahold of someone, but when you do they do indeed help you out.

Sébastien
Sébastien
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Paypal Is a Robust Solution to Managing Your Money Online and Almost Everywhere

Reviewed on 02/03/2019

My current PayPal account is active since 2008 and so I can confidently say that I know I have been able to rely on this service many times over the years. Their customer service kindly helped me once to set back my account to "Personal" after I had been playing with the settings and wanted to know more about their "Business" upgrade. Many times, PayPal has been my best bet in getting paid for remote freelancing gigs, knowing this is a reputable platform and having the ability to confirm the sender's identity. Because one can move money around and connect different accounts to PayPal, this flexibility has been useful a few times when buying online with insufficient funds in the PayPal account. Since it can withdraw automatically from your credit cards if you check that option, this provides a seamless integration with the rest of your digital life that's, again, secure and very useful.

Pros

PayPal opens the doors to securely managing money online quickly and easily. In many ways, this is a solution that's "set it and forget it" and it works great. For instance, adding a bank account or a credit card is a one-time process and once this is done, receiving and sending money is a breeze. One can even receive money without having first created an account. PayPal, being so omnipresent, is a wonderfully secure option to shop online on any well-known website and to receive money from family, friends or employers. Sharing a link to get paid a specific amount in any desired currency is a simple as using PayPal.Me, a nice additional feature available in the dashboard. This is a software that works equally well for personal and business use and one can upgrade their account without trouble. PayPal makes it easy to manage your money on their website by either using your available balance when buying online and also has options to transfer money from or to your bank accounts, which is a perfect bridge to the digital world. There even exists the possibility to fall back to paying with a credit card online when the PayPal balance is too low without needing to reveal the details of the credit card to the merchant.

Cons

I love this service, but I did have problems getting to validate mobile phones in foreign countries by not receiving SMS. For this reason, I had to skip the addition of my mobile phone to the account, meaning I cannot use it to recover access to my account if the need arises. I would also add that this is not an ideal service to be transferring money to your bank account on a regular basis as the fees do add up and for some reasons, this is sometimes flagged as a fraudulent behavior when the money is being transferred from one PayPal account to another before making the deposit to the bank account. In my experience, one gets much more benefits in limiting its use to online transactions.

samuel
samuel
  • Industry: Graphic Design
  • Used for 2+ years

Convenient & Widely Acceptable Online Payments System but...

Reviewed on 16/05/2019

No doubt, PayPal is a very convenient payments system available on the internet. With easy integration with valid credit card, users can easily make payment for any service that accept PayPal payment, send money to friends and family, and transact with online vendors all over the world. As a user since 2014, i will gladly recommend PayPal for anyone, especially for Freelancers that sell their products and offer services online which will help them receive their payment at ease, but the payment receiving feature needs to be available for their country.

Pros

One of the biggest advantages of PayPal is the easy online payments system which is widely accepted by online vendors, big e-commerce stores and other businesses. PayPal allow users to send out money and also receive payment, which made it easy for two individuals to carry out business transactions or send money as a gift to friends or families.
One of the best features of PayPal is the easy integration with user’s Local Bank Account; users can link their Credit Cards to their PayPal account, make transactions with PayPal and get debited on the Bank Account. Another advantage of PayPal is the security, they takes security tightly, secure logins like 2FA to prevent user’s from hackers, also each transactions are monitored and any foul suspect will result to cancellation and account will be limited for verification.
PayPal has also helped me from scammers and getting out of bad deals, they have a good refund policy that help buyers get their money back easily if the deal goes wrong.
Other advantages are keeping of all general transactions histories which can be easily printed and a straightforward user interface which makes it easy to use and understand.
PayPal have a mobile app that makes PayPal easier to use, the app is available on both Android phones and iPhones; all online functions are available on-the-go.

Cons

Even with the good reputation online, PayPal can be very frustrating with different disadvantages.
A major problem with PayPal is the customer support, contacting those guys can be very frustrating, using the email takes forever before they reply, calling their mobile phone takes time before you’re connected to available support which is very expensive since it’s international call. PayPal really needs to improve their customer support and at least be less aggressive with rules, which is another problem with PayPal; example of the limitation of accounts on slightest things, even though security is important to make users safe on the internet, PayPal however takes security a little too much, a simple change in account’s activities can result to limitation of user’s account which can only be resolve with ID verification and reviews.
Another con to PayPal is the limitation of some countries from having full access to their services, my country in particular can only send out funds and pay for services but we can’t receive funds, which aren’t good for business, I have to find alternative to receive payments online.
The last one I can think of is the transactions fees, unlike other competitors; PayPal doesn’t have stable fees, sometimes PayPal can charge up to 50% of total transaction amount, which isn’t encouraging.

Ethan
  • Industry: Computer Networking

I use PayPal to pay my bills and receive payments.

Reviewed on 13/02/2020

I have not had any negative experiences myself but its a really good idea to thoroughly read through all of the terms of service before using PayPal to run a business as you should with any service.

Pros

One of the best pros I can list for this service is that it makes controlling your bill payments very convenient. When it comes to many services nothing is more inconvenient than having to call your service provider to cancel your services when you wish to stop service. I need to cancel various services from time to time to allow for fluctuations in my income as being a freelancer I can never know when I will need to "tighten my purse strings" as the saying goes. I use PayPal to pay my bills whenever a service allows me to because when you need to stop all of your superfluous services like say NetFlix or Amazon Prime, etc, etc PayPal makes extremely easy. All you have to do is disable all of your payment methods like debit and credits cards you have provided to PayPal and PayPal will not be able to make your payments and the services will subsequently not be able to charge you causing what ever services you have connected to PayPal to end until you update your payment methods. It saves me so much time because with this method I don't have to individually login to each service I have connected to PayPal and cancel them.

Cons

Its not an unreasonable practice but the major con in using PayPal is their fees for business transactions. When it comes to refunding fees when a business uses PayPal to receive payments for products or services PayPal charges a non-refundable fee when you use it to take a payment for your products or services and in the event that a business using PayPal has to refund a customer they have to take the hit if they want to give that customer a full refund and this can be quite a hefty loss depending on the amount of the transaction. So if you are using PayPal to take payments you really should make certain that you will not later need to refund the customer you are receiving the payment from, inform the customer that you will not refund the fees paid to PayPal, or charge a fee yourself for the customer to use PayPal in your transactions to cover any potential loses.

Best extra layer of security you can get

Reviewed on 14/05/2020

I don’t even know where to begin when describing all of the positive aspects of this software and how much it has changed my view on e-commerce. Prior to establishing our business account through PayPal, my company was in a place where we didn’t feel enough protection against everything that can go wrong with using and accepting payments online. Opening up a free business account here was the best business decision I have made in my time here because it allowed us a chance to sell our extra inventory that doesn’t get sold in office through different online platforms, something that has proved its worth in recent events in the country. Now we are able to sell products and perform services for patients when we open our offices back up.

Pros

The most useful feature of the software I have realized is the ability to create invoices and shipping labels directly from the platform with the customer’s information already input into each order form. Next, if there is any chance that a problem arises between you and your customer, it is handled by their professional staff through their Resolution Center and users are given an added layer of protection as both a seller and a buyer. Last, but certainly not least, each business account created through PayPal has the option to create their own direct link with your chosen title, which will take their customers to a page where they are able to pay you directly, a feature that has proven to be helpful for in-person transactions that need to post immediately.

Cons

The transfer time that it takes for the money to exit your PayPal account and enter into your bank account is a bit excessive and I wish it were a bit shorter for the business accounts.

Tyler
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Has everything you need but can be more efficient when navigating

Reviewed on 08/02/2021

Overall PayPal is great for business and personal needs, but can definitely use a few tweaks to further enhance the users experience. I would highly recommend it for anyone to use.

Pros

I love and rely on the "quick links" on the dashboard, as the icons help make things quick and easy to navigate to where you need to go. I almost exclusively use these buttons as opposed to the top menu bar, as it doesn't feel the most user friendly.

Sending invoices work very well providing plenty of options. You enter in your clients information, and have the choice to save as a draft, copy the link to the invoice, or send to their email. Having these options are so vital, because each client may have different preferences.

Transferring money to friends and family is 100% free of charge, and very easy to use (especially on the mobile app). So many marketplaces and online shops nowadays have PayPal integrated which is great, as it can speed up the checkout process, while providing an extra layer of protection from your card or other payment methods being compromised you wouldn't have otherwise.

Cons

Page load time can feel slow, if the time can be cut it'd be more pleasant to use.

The interface on the dashboard can feel cluttered at times, this makes it a bit difficult to find exactly what I need. Some of the menus I feel can be simplified / optimized.

No dark mode option. I use PayPal at night quite often and having this can make it easier on the eyes.

No built-in PayPal transaction fee estimator / calculator. I'd love to see how much PayPal will take from the total transaction of a business invoice. I always find myself using a third party tool to calculate the fees, which takes time away from getting invoices out quick.

The money in / money out side panel on the dashboard. I feel it can be combined into one, and don't care much for the "At a glance" displaying recent invoices section as I normally go to the manage invoice page to see everything I need.

No "Send Money" button below balance. Would love to see an additional button right below the PayPal balance box on the dashboard, and have it labeled as "Send Money"

diane
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Misrepresentation and misinformation and inconvenience

Reviewed on 12/01/2022

The experience was horrible. I was on hold for a total of 2.5 hours with no solution. The conversation was redundant and there was no level of sensitivity to the damage that is being done to me with absolutely no options. I just wasn't a human and felt like all they wanted to do was tell me what was in the terms and conditions. I called 20 people and asked if they were aware of this 21 day delay and all but one said no. The one who knew said they Paypal released their 21 day hold in one day when they called.

Pros

It was not too difficult to set up other than the validating of the bank account

Cons

The 21 day delay for a customer who has been a member since 2008 is totally ridiculous. I am running in a special election and by the time the funds post my election will almost be over. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] in customer service told me it would be 7 days and now it is 21 days which defeats the purpose. Had I had known this I would have selected another way for donors to contribute. These funds are not tax deductible campaign contributions and are needed to run and finance my campaign. I use PayPal for all my ebay and amazon and other retail purchases. Just baffled that there seems to be no solution to release these funds especially since I was told in this circumstance they would release the funds. Second, the customer service agents were like robots who did not understand my situation and were repetitive and redundant and it was as if I was a number. I am so disappointed and frustrated. Even the donors are frustrated and are saying they have not requested that Paypal withhold these funds and they are not understanding this decision by Paypal. The monies raise to manage the campaign will be of little avail when they release this hold. We are not a charity like a 501c3 but a campaign committee

Rabie
  • Industry: Design

dependable payment provider ; adding a credit card is still possible but not required

Reviewed on 09/06/2023

As a freelancer, I value PayPal's payment platform's simplicity and adaptability. I can easily accept payments from customers all over the world using PayPal, and the transaction fees are affordable when compared to those charged by other payment processors. Overall, as a consumer and a freelancer, PayPal offers a dependable and practical solution for my online payment needs.

Pros

on several websites.I also appreciate the additional layer of security PayPal provides for my transactions. The PayPal Buyer Protection policy cPros: As an online shopper, I value PayPal most for how simple and convenient it makes buying things online. I don't have to enter my payment information for each transaction because PayPal allows me to safely store it and make purchases with just a few clicks. This helps me save time and hassle, particularly when I shopan assist in resolving problems with purchases, such as receiving faulty or incomplete goods or no goods at all. I feel more at ease and confident in my purchases as a result when I shop online.As a freelancer, I also value how simple it is to

Cons

The drawback is that Paypal's customer service is sparse, which makes it challenging to quickly resolve complicated problems. Even though Paypal has its own service, not all forms of payment are accepted. Customers' available payment options are constrained as a result. There is always a chance of fraud, as there is with any online payment system. Although Paypal has some protections in place for buyers and sellers, it's still important to be on the lookout for any potential scams.

Beth
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Well, there's good and there's not so good

Reviewed on 31/03/2018

Pros

PayPayl's good features are that almost everybody uses it, it's fast, you get a credit card to access your money, there are a lot of apps and widgets to incorporate PayPal payments into your website if you're a retailer of any kind (I do use this in my art studio website). And it's one of Elon Musk's brain children, which generally is a great thing. I'm listing customer service as one of the cons, but I will say that the response time is fast, even if it's not what you want to hear. They don't bombard you with tons of emails. You have business and personal accounts to choose from and then can link your bank accounts to the card, so that if you're using it and it runs low, it will draw from your backup cards. Well, in theory - because I tried that the other day and it didn't work, which I'll mention in the cons as well. Yes, there are fees, but thankfully lower ones than for instance you'd see with a regular credit card. As a freelancer, it's a good method to use for transfer of payment for my services from different companies and individuals. Overall, I think it's OK, but there are some drawbacks I'll address below.

Cons

I mentioned customer service, yes, it is fast. But you don't always hear what you want to hear. For instance (and this may also be an eBay drawback) I purchased something from eBay that arrived completely unlike the description. Contacted the seller who agreed to take the item back and refund the money upon receipt. Even after I had tracking to show the item had been re-delivered to the seller, he did not refund my money. In contacting both eBay and PayPal I got the runaround and eventually no money was ever returned. Another time, GoDaddy charged my account for web services on a renewing bill that I was unaware was going to renew without my approval (because I had planned to move providers). I contacted PayPal and put in a request to review this transaction because it was not authorized by me, and they determined the charge was "just fine" and no funds were returned to me and I am now stuck with GoDaddy for another year. So that kind of makes my experience with PayPal a little bitter. Apparently anyone can just take money and they'll do nothing. I also mentioned that having a backup card matched to your PayPal card will pull money from the account if you use the PayPal card and don't have enough in your account to cover the costs. I had left my credit card in the back pocket of my jeans after putting gas in my car and was out and tried to use my PayPal card and it didn't go through, despite having linked my accounts to PayPal. So, another bitter experience. If you want to get your money any other way than through the card they provide, it takes time to transfer funds or get a check. Also you can only go back so far in time to review transactions on your card. I was recently trying to find an account history for 2014 and there does not appear to be a way to access that information. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe eBay and PayPal are severing their love connection at some point and PayPal may not be the golden child of payment methods anymore in the the not-too-distant future, which could potentially bump it from the top of the heap as the most frequently used payment service eventually.