Act!

Write a Review!
Next-level relationships. Next-level results.

3.4/5

Thomas
Thomas
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Love the ease of use for both entering data and retrieving info

Reviewed on 07/05/2018

I use it to track my clients and prospects and I can tell anyone the last time I made contact, what that was - letter, Email, Phone Call, etc. and it allows me to connect important info to any of my clients, prospects, friends and family.

Pros

The fact that I was able to use the product immediately with no instruction was a great pro. Entering data and retrieving info about a client is easy, and building history of calls, Email messages, letters in a record is great.

Cons

I am not happy with support as all they do is provide a fix when there is a problem, but not direction in how to build reports or use other functionality. I have had to fix the same problem with direction from their service group several times. If I ask for help with reports they tell me I need to find a consultant for that.

andrew
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

My business would not survive without ACT!!!!!

Reviewed on 04/04/2024

Superb is all I can say!!!!!!
Brilliant support from Luke and the team!

Superb is all I can say!!!!!!
Brilliant support from Luke and the team!

Pros

The information that is logged, the communication history is vital!
ACT is the best product I've ever used and I've been using it for 12 years!

Cons

Nothing and I mean nothing!!!!
The system has never let me down but I have to admit, you only get what you as the user input in!!!!

Response from Act!

We are so happy to hear that Act! has been a vital part of your business for over 12 years, Andrew! We appreciate your review and would love to learn how you use Act!. If you're interested in sharing your story, please follow this link: https://www.act.com/success-stories/

Nicole

ACT has many features, but most of them are cumbersome and lacking full functionality.

Reviewed on 08/03/2018

Pros

Our office has been using this product since before I started. It is a solid database program and if that is all you want to do is have a large database of contacts, then this performs well.

Cons

I dislike how this is still only available for windows computers which makes communicating information in an office with both Mac and PC impossible. Also, the outlook plug in that allows emails to be synced with a contact in ACT will only link emails to the PRIMARY contact. So that means you have to manually sync that. If you are emailing over 100 emails a day, you end up either spending most of your time manually syncing contacts or just foregoing this feature. Also, you can only add 4 contacts to a company. Often times, we need to have upwards of 6-10 contacts for a company so the inability to add more is a huge issue. And since ACT isn't online, any changes made on any employee computers while not connected to the server means no one else has access to that info until they make it back to the office to sync. Which means our data is never fully up to date. There are so many problems with this software that we often don't try to take advantage of any of the other functions.

Response from Act!

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your feedback!

You're correct that our main desktop product is only available for PC. Did you know we do offer a fully web-based solution, Act! Premium Cloud? This works great on PC and Mac, as well as keeping your data online on our hosted cloud servers.

It sounds like your business could make good use of the features available via Act! Cloud - might be worth checking it out at act.com - we do offer a free trial too.

We'll definitely be taking your feedback on board for future releases - especially what you've said around email syncing. We've got some major improvements planned in this area in the next release (20.1).

Lastly, there should be no limit to how many contacts can be assigned to a company - if you're having issues adding more than 4, I'd definitely recommend contacting customer support, who'll be happy to help.

If there's anything more we can do to help, please let us know!

Thanks again,

Jon,
Act! Social Media Team

Tonya
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Act! lets me focus on all of my customers at once instead of one at a time

Reviewed on 23/03/2024

We rely on Act! daily. Without Act! I would not be able to stay on top of all of the activities in my daily workload. Its effective management of complex sales operations and its user-friendly interface make it an invaluable asset.

Pros

Act! keeps me organized, despite all of the people I work with each day. It helps me keep track of all the quotes, orders and to-dos so I don’t miss important deadlines.

Cons

I really don’t have any. Honestly if I did not have Act!, I would not be able to stay on top of all the activity going on in my daily workload. I would end up losing contacts as well as missing many of my customer needs.

Response from Act!

We are happy to hear that Act! is really helping you stay on top of all of the details of your business, Tonya. We appreciate your review!

Richard
  • Industry: Design

Meda Int'l Review

Reviewed on 03/04/2024

Having used Act! in previous businesses as well as other solutions, Act! is probably the easier of solutions to use without having to tick endless boxes for information that would be surplus to our needs,

Pros

Easy and simplicity of use that we've customised for our business.

Cons

We possibly aren't maximising the use of our solution, but it does a great job for what we ant out of it.

Response from Act!

Thank you Richard for your review. It's great to hear that you've customised Act! to fit your business needs and are enjoying its ease of use. We appreciate you letting us know!

David
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Act and your need for a CRM

Reviewed on 19/09/2022

Without the introduction of a CRM, i doubt we would have had the client retention we have been lucky to have, we had trialed other CRM's, from free online to high cost ones like Goldmine - they all do much the same but our need to a specific way of accessing and manipulating our data left us with Act as the only real option. One option was to have a bespoke system but costs in the region of £100,000 and constant support didnt make much business sense at the time and after seeing similar projects fail at rival companies we think the route we took has been justified

Pros

Having the ability to scale requirements has helped the business grow without huge outlay. Has the capability to use high end hardware and now has a Cloud based solution so removing the need for costly onsite equipment if required

Cons

As usual costs, the license model has change from perpetual to the per user per year, the Cloud based variant is expensive but comparable to others. The need for a 3rd party module to fully use the software for our needs has increased usability but at a cost, would of been nice to include in subscription

Zoho CRM

Reasons for Switching to Act!

Zoho wasnt around at the original decision but was pushed a new Sales Director, after 4 weeks of trying to get 10 client details imported to show proof of use we gave up - no direct import without essential data loss. Goldmine was extensively used by 3 Sales reps, although powerful it didnt meet the requirement we needed at the time, and at the time was 5 times more expensive. The budget wouldnt stretch even if we would get everything we needed from it so Act was chosen

Response from Act!

Hi David, thank you for taking the time to share how your business is using Act! -especially the cloud-based solution.
We love hearing from our customers, so thanks again for sharing!

Nathan
Nathan
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Small Business' should use ACT! for organizational needs.

Reviewed on 13/04/2020

As long as you are not trying to overload the system creating multiple profiles for many companies, this product works great for smaller companies trying to get their foot in the door for a cross connection software with sales, help desk for technical team, and financial support all in one.

Pros

You can input any information and update it and the information can be seen by anyone in the organization. Makes communication between teams very simple and quick.

Cons

I am not a fan of the way they use multiple contacts past two for a business. If there are a list of people to communicate with each profile has up to two contacts, with more than two a new profile for the company has to be created, creating multiple profiles for each company which can cause confusion for other sections of the company, including processing payments and sending to the wrong contact at the other end or returning a product to the wrong section of said business.

Mike
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

A user for 30 years!

Reviewed on 14/05/2024

An essential tool in product marketing for over 39 years.

An essential tool in product marketing for over 39 years.

Pros

The ability to bespoke the database fields and desgn layout with its Marketing Autonation module.

Cons

Its use of SQL server software which can be very tempramental

Response from Act!

It's great to hear that you're leveraging Act! Marketing Automation for your marketing campaigns and communications. We love our long-term customers and really appreciate you taking the time to tell how Act! is helping your business! Thankyou, Mike!

Robin

Act CRM Excellent

Reviewed on 11/04/2024

Pros

Ease of use for controlling customer service

Cons

Increasing cost of the product other than that great product

Response from Act!

It's great to hear, Robin, that Act!'s ease of use is helping you manage customer service for your real estate business. Thank you for letting us know!

Ken

Does not sync with Outlook or gmail properly

Reviewed on 07/09/2021

Extremely frustrating and while the support team are trying to help the account manager ignores my emails

Pros

Have used it for many years and become familiar with.

Cons

It does not work with basic contact functions such as synchronising with outlook and gmail. Despite many attempts with their support team and email to my account manager they are unable to resolve the issues and still continue to take the full annual subscription with no redress available

Sally

Basic CRM that does the job

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

Pros

ACT is easy to use and does what a CRM is supposed to do: manage contacts and contact information. It is easy to create contacts, companies, links and search for them. It can be used offline which makes it extremely convenient when there is no internet access (eg: business trips). The DB will synchronize when you are back online. Another thing is that it is an off the shelf product: it does not require any development to configure.

Cons

The software lacks customizable reports and dashboard. It is extremely complicated to setup a good dashboard with the reports that you need. There is not much options or flexibility, and the display does not always end up being right (missing items). So it is not the best for sales/opportunities management.

Response from Act!

We love hearing from our customers Sally, and appreciate you taking the time to let us know how Act! is helping your business. We understand that you found some limitations around reporting and wanted to be sure you had access to these digital resources to help with your customization needs.

If there are additional features you'd like to see in Act!, we'd love to know and invite you to please submit a feature request by visiting this URL.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Thom

Very versatile

Reviewed on 01/08/2019

I have been using it non stop since the earliest versions - that should tell you that I am very satisfied with it.

Pros

I have been using ACT for over 25 years and have seen lots of versions. I like its flexibility and that I can put users into multiple groups, It would be impossible to design a program that did everything everybody wanted it to but ACT comes close. I use it for sales, marketing, personal groups I coordinate, keeping track of some of my customers' customers.

It can interact with Outlook and Google's calendar if you use either of those programs. I am a Premium member. The bad side to that is it is a little pricey - about $0 a month. The good side is that I always have the most up to date version. The customer support is wonderful if you are a premium member. Whenever Microsoft Windows has an update a lot of my programs need some adjusting. ACT requires the SQL to restart but that is a simple fix. If/when I have had issues I couldn't fix I just made a call and their support team was terrific in helping me.

I like the fact that it is cloud based so I can access it on my tablet or cell phone or any computer anywhere. At my office I use the offline version and simply update the sync to the cloud. I have it set to update overnight also. One of the features I like best is the history. It is great to be able to look back to meetings, calls etc to see what I said, did etc. The library of forms is very useful also - create a form, letter - whatever - and you have a pre printed template you can utilize for multiple clients or for just one.

It holds tons of contacts also.

Cons

I wish it had more options for the ID/Status cells. The group function sort of does that but not like I need it to. Having 3, 4, 5 or more ID/Status cells would be very useful. Most of my clients fall into more than one category.

Bill
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

How act is helping me working at 74 as a sales man

Reviewed on 05/01/2017

I have been using ACT's since 1999 and this year I turned 74 and I'm still selling with the very best of them. I sell power supplies to industry and without ACT there is no way I could compete in the world of sales today without ACT, I put everything and anything that helps me sell more in a very competitive field including emails, quotes, power supply spec, and notes. I see so many people who will not invest in this program or database if they did their sales would be much higher nobody can remember everything but ACT does. In all the years I have used at never a problem of any kind I do keep it on three computers as the backup just in case there's a crash of one of my computers. I backup my database 2 to 3 times a week making sure I have everything when I need it. The thing I like most about ACT when I go to sales meetings I have all my information right in front of me on my laptop and so many people don't. So when I am questioned about any customer I can look in my notes and have the answers I need, without ACT my sales numbers would be much lower.
Thanks ACT

Pros

Without ACT I could not compete as well as I do in the sales world for it is changing every day. I need ACT to help track my customers my orders my RFQ's and so many other things without it I wouldn't have a job today. I see so many salespeople who won't invest in ACT who sales numbers could be so much better I tell them about ACT but they don't seem to want to invest in their future and their future sales that could be so much better.

Cons

I cannot find one thing wrong with ACT I have been using it approximately 20 years and never had a problem I cannot say this about other database programs I have had to use when I worked for other companies. Some of them were super complicated took hours of work just to get your data in whereas using ACT it was a breeze putting data in and saving data of all kinds.

Jonathan
  • Industry: Legal Services

Act! is a flexible tool to track data the way you want to see it.

Reviewed on 21/05/2019

Act allows us to manage a vast database of over 85,000 contacts and 15,000 companies, as well as over 100,000 Table records between the two, with ease. Any information we need to find or update with these records is as easy as it gets, and makes our customer service team's jobs a relative breeze. There are hiccups here and there, especially with newer features to the program, but there's never been any issues that interrupt work or cause data loss, and the tech support available is very handy at resolving any issues we might have.

Pros

Everything in a Contact or Company record's layout can be customized, moved around, hidden on a per-user basis, and otherwise manipulated however your organization needs it to be. My company makes heavy use of this feature, having multiple team-based layouts that present the most important data to those teams prominently. We also greatly enjoy the software's ability to perform advanced queries on the data that can be saved and re-run with a single click to provide accurate reports and drill down to specific needs in moments.

Cons

There are quite a few features that feel incomplete or at least not fully integrated. For example, the software comes with the ability to create and Mail Merge templated emails that imports information like a contact's name, and the Smart Tasks feature allows you to automatically perform certain tasks including sending an email to a contact, yet for some reason you can't do both - that is, you can't set a Smart Task to perform a Mail Merge to a templated email and send the result, meaning that the automated emails cannot contain information personal to the contact such as their name.

Karen
  • Industry: Management Consulting

I may be prejudiced but I love this product

Reviewed on 09/10/2017

I have used Act personally and for my business almost since its inception. Full disclosure: I have written 7 books on the product as well as the training videos for lynda.com/LinkedIn. I also do consulting work for several other CRM products and wrote a book on SugarCRM. For the money, you can't beat Act. Act has all the power of the "bigger" players without the expensive price point. As newer features are added the existing ones remain relatively stable so that an existing user can upgrade without being hit by a huge learning curve. That said, new users of ANY software product, and specifically CRM software, need to realize that training is essential if they want to unleash the full power of Act. And, like with any other software, support and training is not free - especially if your Act version is several years old. Try calling Microsoft the next time you need help with a spreadsheet or can't get Outlook to send your email and you will see exactly what I mean. However, all Act Premium subscriptions do include free technical support.

I urge readers to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt. For example, Act is absolutely the easiest product out there when it comes to a mail merge. Try doing this in Salesforce and compare the number of keystrokes it takes to complete a merge. Another reviewer complains that you can't merge to over "50 contacts;" that restriction is meant to keep you spam-compliant and can easily be overcome by using the built in Act E-marketing Tool. Another reviewer complained that it took "days" to download the software; again, this is simply not the norm and one has to wonder what kind of security settings might have been blocking the ability to download software.

Pros

Perfect fit for mid-sized businesses. Great price point. Only truly hybrid solution that allows you to use Act both on your desktop and in a hosted environment.

Richard
  • Industry: Human Resources

Marketing Automation AWFUL - Zero support

Reviewed on 21/10/2022

Pros

The way it’s supposed to work is ok. Not great. But getting it to work is a very heavy lift. And with inadequate support, it’s totally up to the user to figure it out.

Cons

Where do I start? Bottom line is that setup for marketing automation is nearly impossible. I’ve used successfully ACT! for more than 20 years. But marketing automation is a disaster. The documentation is unhelpful, and in some places, downright incorrect. It has lots of broken links. And their support staff, all offshore, knows nothing about how to help with the marketing automation feature. I had to hire someone who finally figured it out, by trial and error, after several weeks of work.

Response from Act!

Richard, first let us say we're sorry that you're experiencing this problem, we're sure it's frustrating. We want to help and hope you'll reach out to us at [email protected]. and provide your contact information so we can contact you directly.

Kris

Long time user

Reviewed on 08/03/2023

I use ACT 10 hours a day, but it is clunky.

I use ACT 10 hours a day, but it is clunky.

Pros

I understand the interface because I have used ACT daily for over 30 years.

Cons

ACT does almost everything poorly. It does not sync with multi-user unless you call support. You cannot move your data out of ACT onto a competitive product. They keep raising the price of support. I have tried all three different mass email programs they have offered over the years, but none of the mass email systems worked. The email system required support from ACT to make them work, and still a major problem. I have used ACT for over 30 years, have 10K contacts, and I cannot leave ACT. If you have not bought ACT, do not. If you are going to work on this everyday, pay the money and go with SalesForce.

Response from Act!

Kris, Thank you for letting us know about your issues with marketing automation- this is not the experience we strive to provide our customers. We hope you'll give our Support team another try. Please reach out to https://www.act.com/resources/contact/ or call 866-873-2006 so we can get a few more details, and provide some possible solutions.

Bruce
  • Industry: Investment Banking

Long time Act user 20+ years

Reviewed on 26/09/2018

We put a local copy on each of their computers and sync to the master database. Since our equipment needed an upgrade I signed up for a trial of the newest cloud based system. It did not work, would not load on our trial computers and was totally unreliable. I called customer service who took DAYS to get back to me, and by then, we had pulled it off the test machines. We have 64000 contacts, and the Act Consultants tell us that is sketchy to transfer that many contacts to the newer systems. I am stuck with the older software, but that's ok, it works flawlessly.

Pros

None that I can think of...over our old ACT versions.

Cons

We are a long time user of Act with 64000 contacts, and thought about an upgrade and tried the newest software. Connection to ACT did not work, called customer service which took DAYS to respond, and only with trivial solutions or told us out browsers were inadequate. We cannot use cloud based software, as many of our sales persons need to travel and out of internet on the road. We asked about purchasing a copy for local server use, and they STILL have not called back.

Uses alot of memory and crashed the test computer a couple of times.

I reviewed the posts, and many are favorable, but their usage is very different than ours. Most of the positives come from short time users who have no other experience. If you have alot of contacts, doubt if this will work for you.

John
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Avoid this software!!

Reviewed on 16/06/2020

Support is brilliant, product is awful, the developers are changing features all the time, it has many incompatibility issues with outlook and web browsers, in all the time we have had it we have had to rely heavily on support to fix things every single year. I don't know why I have stuck with it for so long.
Now they have done an update, removed the option to individually record email history so you have to record nothing or record everything coming in and out of your emails which clearly is not desirable!
the task box is small and basic which is how we track work in progress, the pop up calendar only pops up some of the calendar so you have to manually expand it to see the whole month.
when you update tasks and click ok to save it doesn't always save your information so when you go back into your task everything you have just updated isn't there, intermittent issues like this all the time.

Pros

Now it is on the cloud rather than desktop version we don't need to synchronise as this never worked properly anyway

Cons

they are removing useful features every year to the point it becomes a glorified database, it always has technical issues of some description. they fix one thing and break another.
It is very limited in what it can do, looks ok on the outside but when you come to use it you find that it is so limited it is difficult to make it work effectively.

Bud

22 year plus customer Sage / Act

Reviewed on 16/04/2017

Years ago Act software helped me build a tremendous mortgage business. Out of that experience, I am reaching out to offer some effective criticism to enhance your product. Good luck! Feel free to contact me anytime.

Pros

I was probably one of the first purchasers of Act. It is a great program that needs a company to put some serious thought behind making it work better. After shopping several other CRM software's I still think it is above the rest in both user friendly and functionality. You price for the product is more than fair (in fact, I think low) but the software runs like it is somebody's part time job.

Cons

Customer service is the worst. The guys in India are great and I have nothing bad to say about them but is there some reason I need to sit on a phone 45 minutes waiting to speak to the representative? Again I think Act could be the CRM leader but I don't see much improvement over the past few years. The principles of this company have sat back and let opportunities walk by not focusing on the customers needs. With all the apps and technologies available Act should have more to offer.When I purchase a product I do not expect to have to spend hours chasing down my answers through videos.

Brad
  • Industry: Semiconductors

2021 ACT v22 Review

Reviewed on 07/01/2021

Overall, from 1991 up until summer 2020, has been pretty seamless using ACT and upgrading from previous versions to current versions. The last v22.0 upgrade I installed, gave me the impression that someone at ACT was more concerned about getting their bonus and 'rushing' out this new version, than making sure an 'error free' product was released. This combined with the elimination of service contracts, gives the impression they're going to "milk the cow" and end up closing up the business and leaving customers stranded.

Pros

Familiar as I have been using ACT since 1991, starting with v2.0 and now have v22.1.

Cons

ACT worked 'great' up to and including v21. Since the release of v22, I get ACT "NOT RESPONDING" messages 6-8x per day and need to completely reboot my laptop. Also with v22, I have randomly and periodically had (2x) my template for Contacts changed/rearranged. This combined with the elimination of service contracts, makes using ACT and potentially upgrading to the next version of ACT "unattractive".

Tracy

Act is great for marketing

Reviewed on 29/12/2022

Our marketing team is virtual and located all over the US. We use Act for all our marketing accounts. Our administration uses Act for business development as well as our marketing team for each and every campaign.

Pros

We have been using Act for 18 years. It's a nice product with as many bells and whistles thats needed for a CRM. Its easy to implement and set up databases. It has the necessary features for analytics and reporting for clients.We plan to upgrade to an Act cloud version soon.

Cons

The only feature I would like to see added would be an internal voip so that you could hit the call button and Act would dial automatically.

Response from Act!

We love hearing from our customers, Tracy! Some of our favorite features have come from the suggestions of power users like you! We invite you to please submit your feature request by visiting this URL.

Thank you!

Mark
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Act is a great CRM for the cost

Reviewed on 12/12/2022

Pros

Act is vert easy to use and customize to the users needs. Very little training is required for new users

Cons

None it is a very good CRM for marketing purposes

Response from Act!

Thank you, Mark! We love hearing from our customers and enjoy learning how Act! is helping their businesses around the world. And, we'd love to learn more about your business if you'd like to share your Act! Success Story.

It's easy - just paste this link into your browser to get started. https://www.act.com/success-stories/

Thanks again for sharing and we wish continued success to you!

Bruce
  • Industry: Automotive

Using ACT!

Reviewed on 20/01/2017

I have been using the program for 15 years. I like that when I last upgraded I did not have to learn everything over again! Microsoft does this and I don't care for it. I use mostly the contact database. However, I expect to purchase another copy of the program because of a new contract that will have extensive telemarketing and reporting.

Pros

Cons

Some of the features I will never use and some of the features take some time to learn how to use.

Response from Act!

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the review!

For reference, we offer a wide range of help and support materials for Act!, and can advise on further training if requested.

For new users of Act!, our Getting Started resource center is useful for learning the basics of Act! and getting up and running.

We also have a free online training library full of videos detailing many of the features of Act!. Visit this here: https://www.act.com/resources/feature-tours

It's also possible to purchase training workbooks which teach the fundamentals of using and administrating Act! in detail. http://swiftpage.com/training/order-manuals

If you need any advice on any of the help materials we offer, please don't hesitate to ask!

Act!

Anne
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Think carefully before buying ACT!

Reviewed on 15/10/2021

Our overall experience with ACT! is not good, so after 17 + years I made the decision to switch to another CRM when we upgraded our computers.
Our IT Consultant summarised it beautifully when he was moving programs and files from the existing hardware to new hardware and said "Please tell me you don't want me to move ACT! as well". He never liked it either
The issue with email marketing and emails was long standing and in the end we gave up, without being even close to a solution.
For a small business, it became too complex and non-user friendly, especially as other competitors with more features, better service and a more user-friendly 'current' CRM product entered the market.
Plus, to add insult to injury, Customer Service has deteriorated over the past few years.

Pros

When we first bought ACT! around 17 years ago we loved it. We were all happy with what it could do to automate the office and with client/lead management.

Cons

Email marketing and email functionality - or lack of - with Outlook.
Only being able to attach one document file to a history note has also caused much frustration.