Gusto

4.6 (3,849)
Gusto is the all-in-one HR platform for growing businesses.

(3,849)

Carly
  • Industry: Accounting

Awesome Product and Support Staff

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Payroll and tax payments can be time consuming and Gusto allows for the accounting team to do more important work and still feel like everything is being taken care of on the payroll side. Their customer service teams are extremely supportive and helpful.

Pros

Auto-sync and tax payments are the best features of the product that go above other products. Gusto will file the taxes for you, will send corrections if need be, and keeps track of all of that for your ease of mind. Their customer service team is above reproach, always willing to look into a problem and resolve it as soon as possible.

Cons

This is nitpicky, but the layout of the website often changes slightly. It would be nice if there was more consistency in the format. But the tool itself is above reproach.

Harvest

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

QBO Payroll requires you to file most of the extra paperwork and taxes yourself, but Gusto takes care of that automatically for you.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is a really good choice for small business owners who want to have the support of a full payroll service program, without the crazy costs that can go along with that.
Alicia
Alicia
  • Industry: Legal Services

I’m an employment lawyer and I consistently recommend Gusto to my clients

Reviewed on 12/06/2020

Customer support is great. This is a good company. They aren’t the cheapest. And they aren’t the most expensive. I think the extra cost is worth it to ensure compliance.

Pros

Gusto is easy and straightforward to use. But it doesn’t sacrifice accuracy for ease. What I like most about Gusto is that it makes it easy for small businesses to be legally compliant with complicated wage laws across jurisdictions. I haven’t found a legal error yet — and I can’t say that about any other payroll software or service I’ve worked with over the last 15 years.

Cons

I wish the price didn’t jump up so much for time clock feature. Getting clients to use the integrated time clock can be a challenge, and it creates unnecessary problems. It should be included in the base fee.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto is easier to use than RUN and is cheaper. It also has much better support. ADP plays sales games sometimes.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I’ve got experience with all of these payroll companies. I feel that Gusto is the most reliable and easiest to understand and use.
Sara

For small US-only companies NOT expecting any growth

Reviewed on 02/02/2024

Pros

The clean interface is nice and mostly straighforward.

Cons

The customer service, which is necessary for any HRIS to have, is absolutely horrid. They randomly turn off their chat service feature which was never a successful use of time anyways, and they never connect you to someone who can answer your question over the phone. You get put on hold to reach someone at Gusto and get put on hold AGAIN to be connected to the right team. Using their support means you will BLEED time as their support team is full of "I don't knows" and "let me transfer you"s.

BambooHR
Pricila
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Love this for Freelancers and SBO!

Reviewed on 04/12/2023

Pros

Love the independent contractor feature, leaving an inexpensive way to manage contractors and payroll. Also really appreciate the low monthly cost and amazing customer service.

Cons

Nothing! I was using a competitor before and am super happy to have switched over. Great integrations and ease of use.

Linda
Linda

Gusto is a great cost-effective HR tool

Reviewed on 03/08/2023

Staff is friendly and helpful, and they respond quickly to emails (in less than an hour, on average). The website is well-organized and simple to use. We switched from Intuit Payroll because it made paying state taxes to the appropriate agencies a snap.

Pros

Overall, it's a nice piece of ux design. The reality is that the criterion for usability for most goods in this space is simply that they work. With enough enthusiasm, most tasks become not only feasible but also simple. It's as simple as a few natural mouse clicks.

Cons

When I try to build a report that fits my exact specifications, I'm often forced to generate more data than necessary just to get to the data I want. It would be more convenient if you provided a part where I could pick and choose the data points that would go into my report.

Heather

Payroll Made Easy

Reviewed on 15/05/2023

Overall, Gusto has made processing payroll so simple. The platform is easy to use and navigate. The PTO tracking tool helps myself and staff be able to see how many hours they have used and how many they have left.

Pros

Gusto allows me to run payroll aligned with ProCare. I love that I can enter information as the pay period goes and Gusto saves the changes. Time sheets are integrated from ProCare so I don't have to calculate hours worked.

Cons

I have yet to find a feature that I do not like. Everything runs smoothly and employees are paid on time with direct deposit.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto streamlines with ProCare, which is the software we use for clocking in and out.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Ease of use and integration with ProCare.
Laura

Transfer was a little shaky, but good system once up and running.

Reviewed on 27/04/2023

Payroll and onboarding are being taken care of by Gusto. Their HR looks good, but is a bit more expensive than we like right now.

Pros

I like being able to onboard our new hires. It makes it so much easier and I don't have to worry about compliance or having the most recent form of the paperwork. They pay the taxes and create W2s and make my life easier. Thank you!

Cons

The transfer was rough and had some glitches. Once all of that was worked out, it has been fairly smooth and easy.

Tiffany
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Gusto to the Rescue

Reviewed on 04/08/2023

Again, keeping everything in the same application was paramount to us. Gusto is able to streamline the HR process and the customer service is good too.

Pros

I like the ability to keep everything within Gusto. All of the tax info, employee info, direct deposit and documents are all within Gusto. I have used separate apps in the past and Gusto makes it easy.

Cons

I can't think of anything that I dislike about Gusto. Currently we have not had any issues.

Heather

Run, Don't Walk - Get Guusto Today!!

Reviewed on 27/04/2023

10 out of 10. Would recommend to everyone.

10 out of 10. Would recommend to everyone.

Pros

I love how easy Guusto is to use. It is easy to navigate, easy to send and receive awards, and their customer service is second to none.

Cons

The only thing I don't like currently is that I'm still new to the system so, we haven't finished our integration yet. Once that is done, I'm certain I'll have no complaints.

Bonusly and Nectar

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Better at selling their product, better pricing, ease of use.
Charity
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Good Product for Onboarding

Reviewed on 28/12/2023

Pros

Easy to use for onboarding new employees.

Cons

Reports weren't easily available without designing them.

Delene
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OVER THE TOP

Reviewed on 22/05/2020

We have had Intuit (quickbooks) for years and years. And for years and years we have hated it. The customer service is horrible, and so we finally decided to try something else. We found Gusto on an internet search, did a little research and decided that this smaller company might just be what we were looking for. Entering all of the employee information and weekly payroll numbers is super simple. The screens are easy to understand, not cluttered at all. And the Pig - oh the pig - there's a cute little pig that takes a walk when you switch screens. He's a cutie!!!

Pros

We are finally done with Intuit Payroll. So difficult to actually talk to a live person when you need help. I did a little research and found that Gusto does payroll for small companies so I decided to give them a try. My thought was that it certainly can't be any worse than Intuit. And WOW - did they ever Overdeliver! The absolute best thing about Gusto is that you don't have to go through a bazillion menus on the phone trying to figure out which number to press so that your call gets routed to the right person. You actually get to talk to a live person when you call their company. Setting up all of the employees has been very easy, nothing difficult to figure out, the flow from one screen to the next is not complicated at all. So far - we love Gusto!

Cons

The only thing that I think they could improve on would be integrating your existing numbers into their system. In order to be able to print accurate W-2's at the end of the year, I have to enter my employee paystubs from January 1 through today (May) into their system. It makes sense, I know it has to be done. It is just a tedious job and I'd rather not do it. Although I must say, that the 3 times I ran into a snag while entering the information, I called them and the issue was fixed instantly. Their customer service ROCKS!

ian

Wasted my time and money, was literally counting the days until the end of the fiscal year.

Reviewed on 21/01/2021

negative, cumbersome, patronizing, too expensive.

negative, cumbersome, patronizing, too expensive.

Pros

Nothing. I was migrated to it from XERO, when they decided to no longer do payroll

Cons

Honestly, I HATED the stupid animated piggy bank. Probably seems trivial, but it seemed emblematic of a company that was more concerned about making their software look like an iPhone app, than making it work well. The payroll was cumbersome. It woudn't let me do payroll early, or late. It basically made me run payroll within a two day window. Bank account low? Still made you run payroll, or would hassle you about messages about being late. Want to go on vacation and do a couple weeks of payroll early? Nope, out of luck. When they told me they would manage my health care premiums, I thought, great! Nope, after a week of emails and after several phone calls, I found out they were just trying to be group managers, and insurance brokers by offering me different insurers that I could choose. Zero help if I already had a group plan set up. Plus too expensive. Patriot is way simpler, and way cheaper. I do see lots of my millenial patients that are working for startups that probably won't be in business in 5 years seem to have Gusto as their payroll, so I'm just not the business that Gusto is a fit for.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

It was really just unwieldy, and poorly designed software.

Xero

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

was forced to Gusto when Xero quit doing payroll.
Brenton
  • Industry: Accounting

The best payroll service period! I'm always recommending to others!

Reviewed on 16/09/2021

From my very first client to the many I've added since, Gusto has been easy to get in touch with.

Pros

Setting up the company is a breeze. It walks you through every step to help make sure you have all the information correct. It'll even show you how to get state and local tax numbers, if needed.
Setting up employees is even easier! All you need is the employees name, pay rate, and email! How crazy is that. After you enter that information, and email gets sent to the new employee to fill out all their paperwork online. Remember though to get their i-9 forms, because once they are done filling out their paperwork, you'll need to verify their i-9 docs, but it's way too easy!! Haha.
Let's run payroll. Well, if it's the same each time, you can have it set up to go auto. Set it and forget it! If not, again, they make it easy. Click run payoll. Enter the times for your employees, days off, yada yada, and then submit. If you need to make a change to an employee while running payroll, just click on their name and it pulls them up for editing.
Gusto submits all tax payments and reports too. Even submits child support!

Cons

One time deductions. I would love to see that feature. As for now, you have to create a deduction on the employee screen, then go back to the process payroll screen. I wish it could be added to the other more detailed pay options.

Payroll Mate

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Ease of use compared to cost.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is on the cloud. Employee on boarding. Federal, State and Local payments and filings.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great for payroll

Reviewed on 08/03/2022

It's great for payroll. We don't pay for the leave management or other items because it is too expensive, but the payroll features are great.

Pros

Gusto is great for it's payroll and benefits platform. They do exactly as they say they are going to do and take care of all tax liabilities on time, with no concern of being wrong or late.

Cons

Their customer service is terrible. You typically get a representative that tells you the same thing that is in their knowledge base and then can't escalate you to talk to someone actually knowledgeable but can request a call back. The call backs don't happen and you receive an email, which typically doesn't answer your question because the initial representative didn't pass along the information correctly.

QuickBooks Payroll and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Uzio failed to make tax payments on time, didn't setup our tax liabilities correctly with proof of correct paperwork, and have been an overall nightmare to work with.

UZIO

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Reputation and ease of integration with other platforms.
Rick

Payroll with a personal touch

Reviewed on 23/02/2021

I’ve used Gusto as a freelancer with clients that operate their business with this service. I also use it at my day job with my Agency to manage my team's time off benefits and payroll. It’s a great product that I find myself recommending to others all the time

Pros

There are many products available that handle payroll, benefits, and employee database. My favorite thing about Gusto is that it uses a very human and personal approach to what could very easily be a cold and lifeless system or department.

I love the option to add contractors through he payroll system too.

The gusto customer service team is top notch.

Turbo Tax integration is fantastic

Cons

There’s very little to complain about with Gusto. I do wish it had a more catered option for freelancer one man band type of operations.

FreshBooks and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto is a product that feels like it’s designed by people who think about people.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto has a personal touch and they’re customer service team is fantastic too
Alan
Alan

Payroll and Benefits Management with Gusto

Reviewed on 24/07/2023

Payroll, benefits, HR 401(k), and performance reviews may all be handled in a single convenient location. Gusto has helped me and my staff to be more productive with our time and to feel appreciated.

Pros

Friendly interface. Staff-friendly time and absence tracking and benefit administration tools. Human resources and 401(k)s work better together than ever. The price is reasonable for us.

Cons

Payroll blocks caused by a lack of State tax information can be inconvenient, as it requires contacting Gusto to request an extension until the necessary tax data is provided. Perhaps there's an easier method to simply hit a button and have the block lengthened.

Jessi
  • Industry: Food Production

Gusto is my favorite payroll software ever!!

Reviewed on 28/05/2021

Great customer service, great value, great UI, I've referred to to so many people already.

Pros

It's like someone was listening to me complain about Quickbooks payroll and ADP (and Tsheets) and made a software just for me. It's so simple - I was using an accountant to run payroll through ADP - Gusto saves so much time I can do it myself.

Cons

The reporting tools aren't super robust.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

ADP is so archaic and the employee experience was too confusing for them. Plus, it has time tracking so I don't have to pay for tsheets anymore.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Great sales and onboarding experience and multiple people referred me to them.

Payroll for the twenty first century

Reviewed on 12/02/2021

Overall, even though we were hesitant at first, we couldn’t be happier that we made the switch from our previous provider. We’ve gotten lots of very positive feedback from our employees on the system as well!

Pros

I love the clean, simple, modern, easy to use user interface and user experience - for both the admin and employees in Gusto. It feels robust and relevant, not clunky and convoluted like many other outdated, expensive systems.

Cons

I do wish there were some more integrations, and/or that the present integrations were slightly more robust.

Paychex Flex

Cost primarily

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Customer support and ease of on boarding & overall very smooth user experience with modern interface
Erik
Erik

Great HR Option for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 23/05/2021

As an owner/operator starting out, I ran into problems implementing other payroll systems for our company. Luckily I came across Gusto and got things up and running g fast. We’ve been using it ever since.

Pros

Easy on boarding and constantly communicating with our management staff has kept Gusto in its place of being our payroll management system for our employees.

Cons

It’s a little pricey, especially since we don’t use all of the available features but it’s a good system overall.

Square Payroll

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto was easier to implement and provided more support

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I trust Gusto more in that this is the primary thing they do for businesses
Lianna
  • Industry: Hospitality

Payroll Made Easy

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

The time we have saved using Gusto has been extraordinary. What took us hours in the past now takes very little time. We have saved money by switching to Gusto who offers reasonable service charges. Not having to write checks and the additional bookkeeping that would go into uncashed and misplaced checks is another big savings. Our entire company loves direct deposit and we are very happy with the services Gusto has provided.

Pros

Gusto has many great and useful features. I love that I can run payroll, hire a new employee, change wage information or dismiss an employee, from anywhere I am by logging into my account on my phone or on a computer. Gusto sends reminder emails when it's time to run payroll or a new hire has not completed their onboarding. Tax information is clear and concise. My staff enjoy having their own individual accounts to change bank information, look at their documents and get other helpful information. Direct deposit is a fantastic time saver for both the company and the employees.

Cons

Integration with Gusto was very easy. Occasionally it is difficult to reach a live person for help but we have rarely had to speak to someone.

MICHAEL

The best online payroll provider I have ever used

Reviewed on 19/06/2020

Pros

Gusto is extremely simple and quick to configure, and speedy to run payrolls—even custom payrolls or additional payrolls—during the month. It has been an incredibly user-friendly and intuitive solution for someone not familiar with accounting or payroll processes.

Cons

I have had nothing but success with Gusto. No issues, no payroll processing problems, nothing. They pull funds Monday for Friday pay, which might be a long gap, but also offer a shorter payroll process, where you can pull funds Wednesday for Friday pay . . . I just haven't configured that shorter process yet.

Square Payments

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Needed something less expensive and more intuitive to configure

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Price and Gusto's stronger reputation for customer service
Trevor
Trevor

Best platform for payroll, benefits & more

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Overall it has been great to have everything in one place. Before we used Zenefits and Gusto and moved everything to Gusto. Its been a good move.

Pros

It simple to use and does everything we need to run the primary administrative tasks for our business.

Cons

The HSA feature did not move over seamlessly from Zenefits and is more expensive for a small team to have and the 401k option has been a bit of work to get moved over.

TriNet Zenefits

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

We had benefits in Zenefits and payroll in Gusto when both companies concentrated on these areas. Once they both begin offering both we weighed our options to combine everything into a single platform. It seemed like Gusto was headed in the right direction more than Zenefits.

TriNet Zenefits
Sheldon

A loyal customer that will be moving away from Gusto... HONEST REVIEW

Reviewed on 28/06/2023

Sadly, we will be leaving Gusto. We absolutely love the services (overall) and due to their great platform (and price), we have remained patient with some of the shortcomings. That said, I am so disappointed that we don't have better support. After a major payroll issue in May 2023, I remained calm and even inquired about upgrading our plan so that we could get better quality support and avoid future issues. No luck - I spoke to people in sales, but never heard back. Their software does not fully support multiple locations (must use DEPARTMENTS), which presents problems across the company. The worst issue we faced was based on an honest error our company made: One of our new hires mistakenly ran payroll for a new location prior to the account being funded. This caused an insufficient funds matter, which was totally our fault. However, the system locks you out without the chance to run payroll until the payment is cleared - we couldn't even run paper checks. This means our valued staff were paid late. There was no way to expedite this (bank wire, etc.) so I ended up driving several hours to delivery paper checks to our teams. Customer support wouldn't even allow me to speak to a manager about the situation so I could provide feedback for future customers. If you are a small office with 1- 30 employees, I think Gusto could be a great option. However, if you need more granular permissions for leadership, quick/dedicated support, look elsewhere.

Pros

Gusto is likely the easiest platform to learn and use. Our team members with limited tech skills can navigate the system with ease. I constantly see updates and enhancements throughout the system that are beneficial and useful. Also, the price is hard to beat for all the features. We use Gusto for health benefits, 401k, PTO, and time tracking - all work relatively fine. The only catch is assessing if your company is too large for Gusto's abilities.

Cons

As our company began to grow, we started to notice limitations in the platform. Once we grew to having multiple locations, things fell apart fast. Between the two companies I own, we hardly ever need the support team. However, when we do, it has become increasingly difficult to get the help we need. It is hit or miss. In a nutshell, if you have more than 30 employees in multiple states/locations, look at other options. We are taking both of our companies to another provider. Multiple times, Gusto could have saved this relationship, but I don't think I was ever able to reach someone who cared enough.

Rippling, RUN Powered by ADP and Paycor
Knox

Literally a worry-free payroll solution

Reviewed on 09/10/2020

Gusto saves our company lots of time! I spend literally an hour on HR/payroll each week, because Gusto does so much of the heavy lifting. For the price, I totally believe I am getting great ROI. It also integrates well with our accounting software.

Pros

Gusto makes managing employee relations, payroll, and benefits so simple. You truly get a lot of bang for your buck. We're able to manage payroll processing; time/attendance; benefits; onboarding; and salary offers all in place. Their web-based technology has great up-time and is very easy to use. I also like the fact that Gusto does all of your federal and state payroll document filings and return (quarterly and annual). Every form needed to remain in compliance with the feds and state are filed by Gusto on your behalf. That takes the headache away and allows my company to focus on matters that are more critical at this time.

Cons

There is not much I can say here other than their support isn't necessarily a phone call away. That said, they answer emails and tickets super quick. I haven't been much in a pinch to need an immediate response to issues, and their self-service support center is rather extensive.

Paycom

Pricing; bang for buck.
Zachary

Helpful and functional

Reviewed on 20/05/2023

As I mentioned in the 'pros' section: Having everything in one place is convenient and saves time. It seems like they have a good team of developers who work towards solving the minor problems that crop up. Overall positive experience!

Pros

There haven't been any hurdles or problems and it fits our needs well. It saves our HR staff some time, and it's helpful to have everything in one platform. I would hate to have multiple silo sites/portals, so I am thankful that I don't have to navigate to separate pages to handle reimbursement requests, file and log worked hours for the week, view paystubs, etc.

Cons

There aren't too many cons. There are some minor problems:One would be that I can't explain how many times I have logged a time for a day using the 'time tracking' tool (filling out the hour range + description) only to accidentally make a click outside of that box and have it disappear and lose all my work. It happens at least once a week, making logging time take twice as long sometimes. Another minor problem our workplace has run into is that we don't need some employees to enter in a 'description' field in the time tracking tool, but it is a required field. It would be helpful if the admin could set which fields are required in time tracking entries.