Gusto

4.7 (3,130)
Gusto makes payroll, benefits, & employee onboarding easy

(3,130)
4.5/5
4.5/5
4.7/5
4.4/5

3130 Software options

Alicia D.
  • Industry: Legal Services

I’m an employment lawyer and I consistently recommend Gusto to my clients

Reviewed on 12/06/2020

Customer support is great. This is a good company. They aren’t the cheapest. And they aren’t the most expensive. I think the extra cost is worth it to ensure compliance.

Pros

Gusto is easy and straightforward to use. But it doesn’t sacrifice accuracy for ease. What I like most about Gusto is that it makes it easy for small businesses to be legally compliant with complicated wage laws across jurisdictions. I haven’t found a legal error yet — and I can’t say that about any other payroll software or service I’ve worked with over the last 15 years.

Cons

I wish the price didn’t jump up so much for time clock feature. Getting clients to use the integrated time clock can be a challenge, and it creates unnecessary problems. It should be included in the base fee.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto is easier to use than RUN and is cheaper. It also has much better support. ADP plays sales games sometimes.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I’ve got experience with all of these payroll companies. I feel that Gusto is the most reliable and easiest to understand and use.
Ian C.

Wasted my time and money, was literally counting the days until the end of the fiscal year.

Reviewed on 21/01/2021

negative, cumbersome, patronizing, too expensive.

Pros

Nothing. I was migrated to it from XERO, when they decided to no longer do payroll

Cons

Honestly, I HATED the stupid animated piggy bank. Probably seems trivial, but it seemed emblematic of a company that was more concerned about making their software look like an iPhone app, than making it work well. The payroll was cumbersome. It woudn't let me do payroll early, or late. It basically made me run payroll within a two day window. Bank account low? Still made you run payroll, or would hassle you about messages about being late. Want to go on vacation and do a couple weeks of payroll early? Nope, out of luck. When they told me they would manage my health care premiums, I thought, great! Nope, after a week of emails and after several phone calls, I found out they were just trying to be group managers, and insurance brokers by offering me different insurers that I could choose. Zero help if I already had a group plan set up. Plus too expensive. Patriot is way simpler, and way cheaper. I do see lots of my millenial patients that are working for startups that probably won't be in business in 5 years seem to have Gusto as their payroll, so I'm just not the business that Gusto is a fit for.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

It was really just unwieldy, and poorly designed software.

Xero

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

was forced to Gusto when Xero quit doing payroll.
Michael J.

The best online payroll provider I have ever used

Reviewed on 19/06/2020

Pros

Gusto is extremely simple and quick to configure, and speedy to run payrolls—even custom payrolls or additional payrolls—during the month. It has been an incredibly user-friendly and intuitive solution for someone not familiar with accounting or payroll processes.

Cons

I have had nothing but success with Gusto. No issues, no payroll processing problems, nothing. They pull funds Monday for Friday pay, which might be a long gap, but also offer a shorter payroll process, where you can pull funds Wednesday for Friday pay . . . I just haven't configured that shorter process yet.

Square Payments

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Needed something less expensive and more intuitive to configure

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Price and Gusto's stronger reputation for customer service
  • Industry: Media Production

Simply the best

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

I've tried so many other payroll packages. Gusto is the quickest to setup and maintain.

Pros

Ease of use to run payroll for both Employees and Contractors. They also have an awesome employee feedback service, which allows me to get a pulse on how the company is running directly from the employees themselves.

Cons

It's a bit pricy but totally worth it if you want a simplified easy to use solution.

Square Payments

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

QBO payroll was not only expensive but hard to use.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Square's Payroll interface is simple, but almost too simple, pulling reports was kind of a pain and difficult to integrate our accountant into.
Karla G.
  • Industry: Accounting

Gusto is an ideal payroll service for smaller companies

Reviewed on 16/07/2020

This software save us processing time and the headaches of filing payroll tax returns and paying taxes. They prefer working with companies with up to 50 employees I think - really big payrolls will not be a good fit for Gusto.

Pros

Gusto technical support is excellent and the product is easy to use. As a cloud based payroll program it is easy to run payroll from anywhere at any time. I have had clients in different service based and non profit businesses on it for several years. The cost is reasonable and in fact the core program can save a great deal as compared with the big nationally recognized names. This company is also national and offers many employee benefits that the leaders offer. You can set payroll to run automatically if it is the same every time, and it syncs with Quickbooks Online online.

Cons

I sometimes have a little trouble customizing reports quickly and have not seen a way to save them for future use. But they do have a good selection of reports available. That includes being really proactive about PPP loan reports.

Kyle J.

Great, simple payroll

Reviewed on 07/10/2021

Overall Gusto is a great solution for a small, start up company with very basic payroll needs and no appetite for paying an expensive processing solution. Anyone comfortable using the internet can quickly get their people paid and Gusto makes it a breeze to stay compliant!

Pros

We pay payroll monthly and pay contractors weekly. Gusto made it very easy for me to provide the information I know -- how many hours worked and what the hourly rate is-- while Gusto takes care of the stuff I don't know (What to file with the gov't, how to withhold, how much to withhold, where to send the payments etc). I feel confident Gusto keeps my company compliant, and it's super easy to get my people paid.

Cons

Venturing beyond payroll and contractor payments, Gusto's features and expertise seems limited. They made workers' comp very easy and I'm glad for that. Their customer support has almost always helped me get to the right answer eventually but it feels hard to get hold of a real person and confirm they understand my question right away.

QuickBooks Payroll and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Price, easy of use, sense of control.
Melissa M.

Payroll Software that cannot be beat!

Reviewed on 27/02/2021

Gusto payroll makes running payroll for my company very easy and hassle free. I am so glad that when I was reviewing payroll software I found gusto. I highly recommend it to anyone who is using other softwares.

Pros

I absolutely love gusto. I cannot say enough things about it. It was so easy to set up and even easier to use to run payroll. I love that there is an app for the employees where they can get alerts, set up their bank accounts, add bank accounts and then choose how much goes into each account. It gives them full control. Gusto handles all the payroll tax reporting so that is one less thing that I have to worry about. They have an excellent customer service staff who are readily available to help you should you need help.

Cons

This service does not have any cons. There is not one single thing that I can think of that I dislike about gusto.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I wanted to bring my payroll in house.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I chose Gusto because they had the best price as well as an easy to use web portal. I love that I brought my payroll in house and no longer have to rely on something else to do it for me. Honestly, I cannot say enough good things about Gusto. Highly recommend.
Maria C.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

SOFTWARE

Reviewed on 19/08/2020

It has been a life saver. I hate doing payroll and they do all the work for us.

Pros

The ease in which we can enter and keep track of payroll issues.

Cons

Insurance issues need to be explored so that we have more to offer our employees.

Sheila J.

Gusto? They didn't need my business any longer.

Reviewed on 02/07/2019

Had a good experience until we had to suspend payroll due to a lull in business (you keep getting billed whether you run payroll or not). The stipulation is you have to reactivate within the quarter if you want to continue using Gusto. Well, the end of the quarter fell on a Sunday and trying to reactivate first thing Monday morning did not work. You cannot reactivate your account for another year. Makes absolutely no sense that a few hours made that much of a difference. The were willing to lose a customer and let me walk away instead of reactivating the account.

Pros

Easy to use and navigate. Customer service is friendly and helpful. Reports are clear and concise.

Cons

Wait time for customer service is lengthy and usually requires a call back which they prompt for automatically or disconnect if the wait time is over 10 minutes. Monthly invoices are hard to find if you don't use the link provided in your email notification.

RUN Powered by ADP and Paychex Flex

Pricing.

Easiest Payroll Platform for Small Business on the Market!

Reviewed on 28/10/2020

Pros

Simplicity of use, integration with QuickBooks, significant time savings for a small business owner. Great reports and an excellent platform to keep everything in a single organized place, including new employee self-onboarding.

Cons

The company was flying and building its plane at the same time - we have grown with it, but not without a few bumps along the way, but overall this platform is a life saver for small business, its added features and functionality continually improve. I absolutely love it!

Nicole B.

Head of Business Improvmenent and HR

Reviewed on 30/06/2015

Pros

Support. They see every issue through as if you're the most important or the only client. They're thorough and they tolerate you if you're on a learning curve (we're an Australian business setting up our US operations and health etc benefits is a new and unnatural thing for a business to grapple with). The software is flawless and usability is perfect. We run our payroll in a few clicks, and that's because we don't choose autopilot. Used to run benefits thru Zenefits who made a lot of errors, and zenpayroll stepped in without hesitation or complaint and ran every correction. It's complete, not half cooked. It's how software and support should be done.

Cons

We are a global business, and things are done differently in other countries for payroll. For instance, we don't need to go thru the pain and inefficiently of supporting benefits in other countries. Plus there is different legislation and tax setups etc. I wish zenpayroll was configured to support payroll in other countries so companies like ours growing elsewhere could benefit from One-payroll without considering the bigger and clunkier vendors. If you're growing, most likely you're growing globally or planning to. Otherwise it's perfect.

Daniel shatzkes ceo E.
  • Industry: Music

Gusto makes payroll stupid easy

Reviewed on 29/11/2018

Gusto makes payroll incredibly easy, makes integrating with Quickbooks simple, and makes the entire payroll process very transparent. I can add bonuses or commissions to any employee for any payroll period and I get an easy breakdown of where all the money that is drawn out of my business account is going. Any time I've needed help or support Gusto has been fantastic either on the phone, via email or with Live Chat. I don't know how other payroll companies do things but I know that I love Gusto.

Pros

Taking care of payroll each month takes literally just seconds. My company is small, so maybe a larger company with a lot more employees might take a little longer. But probably no more than a couple of minutes. Plus, I love how Gusto gives an entire breakdown of what is being paid and to who so you can see exactly how much the employee gets and how much does to his/her taxes, and also how much in payroll taxes the company is paying.

Cons

The monthly price is the same regardless of whether or not you use a lot of the extra benefits and offerings. For example, Gusto offers a way to offer employees 401k benefits or health benefits. It would be nice if there were a slightly less expensive option for micro-businesses that don't necessarily make use of all those benefits.

Nick M.
  • Industry: Automotive

Gusto make payroll easy

Reviewed on 25/03/2020

As a small business in California it's difficult to keep pace with the changing payroll g laws. Gusto helped us solve this problem.

Pros

I like the ease of use and the ability to manage employee's payroll, W-2's, and benefits/deductions. I also like the onboarding feature which file the I-9 for new employees. Another nice feature is the birthday cards that the whole team can sign online.

Cons

I don't like that it doesn't specifically track vacation time. It calls it paid time off or PTO. Paid vacation and paid time off are not the same.

Amy T.

Makes payroll easy for a newbie

Reviewed on 15/11/2018

Pros

As a small business owner, I just hired my first couple employees last year. I was completely new to the whole thing, and was a bit intimidated by all the requirements of doing payroll. After looking into a few payroll software options, I went with Gusto and am glad I did. It walked me through everything, in a very user-friendly way. It has helpful articles about the various requirements of payroll taxes, steps for hiring employees, forms to fill out, etc. The setup took a bit of time, but was a pretty reasonable process.

Now that it's all set up, I don't have to spend hardly any time at all on payroll. I spend maybe 10-15 minutes every two weeks on payroll, and then don't have to think about it. Gusto handles all the payroll taxes (filing, paying, etc), and employee direct deposits. It honestly couldn't be easier.

Cons

I had a little bit of a problem getting my state taxes account set up. For some reason, it was giving me error messages about account numbers and things. Customer service was able to help me through it, and figure out what the issue was on their end. That was the only part of the process that wasn't totally painless.

The only thing I wish this software had is a timecard functionality.

Chenna C.

Gusto Payroll Processing System

Reviewed on 09/09/2020

It is very easy to.manage and my business partner loves it. We are so far happy with the product and can't complain.

Pros

Ease of use, ease of onboarding, ease of managing payroll, payroll hikes, taxes, employee database, among other data.

Cons

I can't think of a lot to complain about. One of the major issues was the performance management of employees and needed to make sure employee pay raises are taking effect when they are supposed to be

Mario R.
  • Industry: Accounting

Great software, amazing tech support

Reviewed on 29/04/2020

Pros

Ease of use, clients love it, good pricing, Great software, amazing tech support

Cons

I can't think of anything substantive. Great stuff

RUN Powered by ADP and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto is much better in feature, coverage

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Ease of use, integration with Xero
Cynthia B.
  • Industry: Accounting

Makes payroll so much easier!

Reviewed on 21/06/2021

My overall experience with Gusto has been great. I've been able to save time and it's super user friendly. Plus, the customer is great!

Pros

I love that I can automate a lot of our clients payroll. Even if it used to take me maybe 20 minutes maximum a month, but it still saves me that time to work on other things. I also love the fact that I don't have to file the quarterly payroll tax returns and annual W-2s. Gusto takes care of all these filings!

Cons

I haven't found anything I don't like about Gusto yet. Everything has just been great so far. Positive experience so far.

Erin Q.

Easy and Flexible Payroll and HR Management

Reviewed on 29/08/2016

Pros

This product is very user friendly. It allows you to manage various types of employees in various locations with easy. I could easily manage salaried and hourly employees and it allows hourly employees to enter their own hours. It also allowed employees to set-up their profiles, which saved time on my part in the back-end. Instead of copying a lot of personal information and making constant W-4 updates, the software allows employees to set themselves up with information they know well and make changes that streamline during the payroll process.

Cons

Sometimes it felt like certain tasks were taking more clicks than necessary to complete. For instance, if I need to change the pay rate for several employees I would go into each one individually, but then once I saved and was ready to update the next profile I would have to go back to the employee screen and then expand the scroll-able list again. It would be nice to easily go back to where I was when making large updates.

Giridhar S.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best HR Service and Tools Software

Reviewed on 14/09/2020

We have been using Gusto software since a while ago as it's output is completely outstanding when in terms of payroll management, self access portal of employee, Employee related queries, leave management and everything that the HR is responsible for.

Pros

Gusto is the best HR services and HR Tools software that definitely helps us in real time in which it has all the employees payroll management, Employee self access Portal, Employee benefits, Employee attendance and everything and it helps us a lot.

Cons

There's nothing least about this Gusto software as I'd like to request why not they have few fun activities as in the part of theri tools so as to engage all employees.

Hamid G.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

An Excellent Fit for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 15/04/2021

Gusto is an excellent payroll and employee management tool for small and medium sized businesses who need and want to implement a formalized employee program, without the need to create cumbersome internal systems or relying on outmoded communications tools.

Pros

Gusto makes it very easy for a small business to take on the highly regulated employee management. From onboarding and ensuring policies are distributed and we have collected records of receipt and signatures, to the ability to send care packages to our distributed workforce, our administrators and employees feel more in control.

Cons

While Gusto's interface is easy to navigate, toggling between administrator and employee view causes confusion sometimes.

Irina T.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

If you're looking for a do it yourself company, this is it.

Reviewed on 14/06/2021

Overall, I loved it when we had a few employees. Once we started growing though, we had to switch. Highly recommend to small start ups!

Pros

Priced excellent and it reminds you all the documents you have to send in.

Cons

You have to file all the documents yourself, whereas other payroll companies do it for you.

Paychex Flex

Gusto is quite possibly the best payroll/HR system out there for smaller companies

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Very easy to use, customer service is top-notch, and although the price is a little high it's worth it.

Pros

Easy to use portal for payroll on both the employee and the employer sides. Has plenty of integrations - TurboTax, Quickbooks, Xero...

Cons

It can be considered pretty expensive for some small companies. Can have long wait times/hold for customer service.

Rippling

N/A

ADP Workforce Now
Anna C.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Gusto is the best!

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Not only the administrators love it but the employees too. It is so easy to use and they never have an issues finding exactly what they need.

Pros

Ease of use - for admins as well as employees
Accessibility - no one ever has any issues finding and accessing their items
Organization - gives us a place for all of our payroll needs

Cons

Nothing, it has been great. We switched from ADP and thought that we would have issues with coming from such a large payroll company but Gusto has been amazing.

Johnny A.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Nearly perfect HR but an amazing value

Reviewed on 24/05/2019

Despite the lack of some features, we've been with Gusto for several years and the value and the customer support more than make up for it.

Pros

Gusto is beautiful, easy, and has all of the basics. Personally, I don't have time to spend more than a few hours each week on HR but Gusto makes running payroll and onboarding new staff quick; keeping our paperwork to a minimum; and handles benefits like a pro.

Cons

Gusto is missing a few features that would make it a perfect product. Timesheets are *very* basic. Reports can be a little cumbersome. And there's no feature or integration for performance management or applicant tracking.

Tiffany H.

If I could give 6 stars, I would

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

I work with small non-profits, specifically churches and ministries. Many of them are still doing their own payroll internally through Quickbooks or something. But the problem with that is that there are really no other extra features besides just payroll. Whereas Gusto has digital onboarding, online timecards, and automatic accrual tracking. And, I know I said it before, the system is SO super simple that even a kid could use it.

Pros

Oh my goodness this is literally the easiest payroll software EVER! I work mostly with small non-profit organizations who struggle with the business side of things but Gusto is so super easy, that it is honestly hard to mess anything up! I love their graphics, the easy steps, and how simple it is to find stuff. On top of all of this, their customer service is amazing!

Cons

The cost is a little on the high side, especially the per person cost for some of their higher levels of service. With that being said, it is the perfect software for organizations that are smaller and don't necessary need the 50 million bells and whistles but benefit from the additional features even in the base plan.