Square Point of Sale

4.4/5

1734 Software options

Zephyr V.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great features but not the most reliable

Reviewed on 08/04/2021

Square has amazing features and is easy to use. It's also great to take on the go. I would have given it 5 stars if it weren't for the issues with buffering and transactions not going through. Because of these issues, Square was too unreliable for me.

Pros

Square was really easy to set up and use. It has a lot of great features like analytics, sales reports, manual credit card entry, and more. It's also really easy to set up and edit your menu. The fees that Square takes on credit card payments are not high and are very reasonable. Square is also excellent for on-the-go sales and is very portable. It's easy to take to different venues and events.

Cons

I encountered a lot of problems with Square. I was mainly using it to sell goods at my local farmer's market. Often after swiping a customer's credit card Square would be stuck with the loading symbol and the transaction would never go through. There were many times I had to shut down the app and reopen and ask the customer to swipe again with another credit card. There have been times where the customer was charged twice and times where the customer was never charged at all! It was very disappointing encountering these setbacks while I have a limited time to sell at the farmer's market. There were also times where it appeared that the sale went through and then later after checking my sales reports I could see that several transactions were missing and I was never paid. I also tried Square on multiple devices but the problems persisted.

Christy C.

Square Point of Sale for Gift Card Sales

Reviewed on 14/04/2020

Over all, having the ability to sell E-gift cards from my existing website without a monthly fee was a huge game changer for my salon company! We went from selling $200-$300 per year in online gift card sales to well over $2000 the first holiday season my company offered E-gift cards. I believe the increase was due to the great look of the gift card choices, the Square name that everyone knows and how easily I could added the service to my company website.

Pros

I love how easy and fast it was to set up and link into my website. Square gave me the exact dimensions my photo(s) needed to be for the custom branded E-cards for the Square point of sale. In addition, my main reason for choosing Square Point of Sale for my online gift card sales was that there is no monthly fee to offer the E-cards, my company only pay for processing sales.

Cons

Square Point of Sale continues to improve the software for the E- gift cards, however I wish the system would notify me, the owner, when a customer has purchased a gift card. Customers would bring in their digital gift cards for services and since Square Point of Sale did not integrated into our booking software & our company did not realize the card had been purchased staff would have to search to find the purchased card. I wish the gift card sales and the reporting of the gift card sales was more streamlined.

Jennifer R.

Perfect for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

Since using Square for my small business, I have felt more professional and organized. I was using PayPal before this, and I just felt like my customers deserved better. Square gave me options that I did not have with PayPal and made my transaction process smooth and seamless.

Pros

I love that Square is so easy to use and set up. I run a small company where I sell customized products. Square is perfect because for my company because of the low fees, quick set-up and free initial square reader. In addition, the inventory control option is just so amazing and simple. I can add and control inventory (even add photos) from the app with ease. I can also create and edit prices while creating customer inventories. Square helps my small business feel professional.

Cons

There is nothing I do not like about Square. It is the most professional off all inexpensive point of sales and is perfect for a small business.

Katrina L.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Can now accept payments in person, as well as, online

Reviewed on 25/01/2019

Square helps businesses grow and track sales through their app. With reader, you can accept payments on the go so you'll never miss a sale. I bump into potential customers in grocery stores, paying my cable bill or while at the doctor's office etc.

Pros

I have used Square for 3 years. I found them while searching for web site builders. I was happy when I located them and read through their policy. Aside from setting up and designing my site, Square provided me with a reader. I plug it into my phone and swipe credit cards. The payments are in my account within two days minus a small fee for using Square's pos reader. I use it along with the app, you can also enter credit/debit cards manually and have the customer sign the screen. I email the customers their receipt. If a customer pays in cash, I can still take the payment and enter cash instead of paying by card. I still send them a receipt. I can set up gift cards and discounts to items online but I choose not to. I keep my items priced low enough to avoid these incentives.

Cons

They provided me a free reader, decals to stick on my register and window. I have no issues with this company. They are great.

Celeste G.
  • Used for 2+ years

Highly recommended!

Reviewed on 07/09/2018

I love Square! We've used it for years and will continue to use it at our events.

Pros

Square is easy to use and very reliable.
I love that I can send out user codes to volunteers at our fundraising events and not worry about sharing a main login in order to have multiple people collecting money for our organization. We use Square at all of our fundraising events and it is very reliable. It is also very easy to train a new person on how to use the Square app and reader, which is very important at events when I have volunteers who've never used Square before.

The dashboard is easy to navigate and the reports are easy to read. Square's fees are very reasonable and they are very good about providing Square reader devices for point of sale transaction.

Cons

The standard Square readers don't work with the latest Apple iPhones that lack the phone jack. This can be challenging so it's good to check with volunteers before an event to get an idea of what type of phone they have.

For large events or occasions when lots of transactions happen in a short time frame it can get hard to see who paid for an item or to match up transactions to items sold. If you do need to track who bought an item or if a transaction was for multiple items (like a person who won several items in a silent auction) then make sure to add notes and have documentation for your staff volunteers on how to add notes while running transaction, otherwise this because hard to sort out afterwards.

Guthrie S.

Great, but getting less so

Reviewed on 22/02/2017

We've been with Square since about 2011, and have seen a lot of changes take place over that time. Square is still easily one of the best solutions out there for small businesses that want to pay when they profit, instead of draining out to a merchant account or such, however recently it's also seen a trend towards "Form over Function" which is a bit troubling considering that it's sole focus should be ease of use by businesses for the purpose of minimizing overhead and increasing revenue.

Pros

Free app, pay when you make a sale, reliability is decent, don't have to purchase your own hardware. Still a strong contender despite it's more recent frustrations.

Cons

Square has reached a point of maturation in which it's starting to feel like they are inventing new "features" for the sake of doing so (or for the sake of justifying growth to investors), instead of focusing on issues that are most commonly stated in community forums, and requested daily to devs. which would actually help lead to increased market share.

Square would rather overhaul the look of your dashboard to make it look pretty than say for instance create a method in which UPC/EAN's could be stored alongside SKU's for easy internal, and external interfacing of inventory from suppliers.

Square removed the ability to sort by "low" and "out of stock" on the backend without having email notifications enabled, resulting in thousands of needless emails yearly (which we have to filter out) where we used to be able to login, click "sort by" and see a list of what was close to, or out of stock for re-order.

Square changed it's item creation page to require not one, but two additional clicks, and increased scrolling to edit even trivial item options. This used to be able to be done in one click, and all fields visible. Also, the "Delete" button is now directly beside the "Save" button, make sure you don't click it by mistake.

Had engineers followed up (as promised) to any of the three phone calls made about these issues I would not be as harsh, but as they haven't, here you go.

Natosha M.

Excellent for small businesses

Reviewed on 13/05/2019

I feel that this program really has provided my company with a resource that is necessary for running a small business. I love the UI design and that it's fast to learn right from the beginning. It didn't require any downtime to get to know it better. Additionally, my customers love how fast and easy it is to use and I feel it has been a big help for my company in the long run.

Pros

I am very happy with the easy to use app and features. The software really provides plenty of functions to keep tabs on those who shopped with me before and even allow me to keep an eye on what is running low in my inventory. There is a good spreadsheet created and I feel that it's reduced the time to keep things organized and faster to search for a specific item or customer when needed. I also really like that I don't need to train anyone to use this program or even myself. It's very simple to learn and makes my business run so much easier.

Cons

Sometimes the connection can be lost, making it a bit slower to get things done fast, but this is normal with most programs I've used. However, when this connection lost happens, it can cause a line to build up while waiting for everything to process. I don't have much more to say about the program and features, it's been pretty good other than the connection issue.

Hannah H.

Square is okay

Reviewed on 24/02/2020

It’s okay and easy to use. They charge too much however and I’m at starting to use other softwares.

Pros

I use it everyday for business purposes. It’s easy to use and I like being able to customize items to sell.

Cons

Square had a decent processing fee until this past month where they have charged much more for each individual transaction. Not too happy about it and I’m starting to use other apps to replace Square.

Venmo
Shannon G.

A Great Program

Reviewed on 27/12/2018

Overall, I love Square and the ideas they have rolling. I would be more inclined to use Square if it were a bit more organized and user-friendly. They have many more options than PayPal but, need to sharpen these options up in order to really pull ahead in the game.

Pros

I love the ease of use that comes with this program. The fact that I can send invoices from my account through my phone or computer makes my busy life that much easier. I love the fact that they have payroll now. I also love the reports you can generate and print out, it makes tax time a breeze. Square has quite a few more options than PayPal which is why it's hard to choose between the two sometimes. Where they beat out PayPal the most is allowing much easier payments for those not signed up with their program.

Cons

The biggest aspect I noticed was that the entire program seemed a little unorganized. I'm sure they have a lot of great ideas of where the software could go. However, it seems like they tried to do too much too quickly and it turned a little messy in the process. Some functions are available on mobile that aren't easy to find on PC and vice versa. The invoice parameters I set on PC didn't carry over to mobile so I had to setup both. This isn't a huge deal but, it would be nice for all aspects of the account to sync up. I use Paypal for my second business and find it much easier to use for about the same cost. PayPal doesn't offer as much which is why I think Square has some real potential if they slow down and really round out the options they already have.

Tom F.
  • Industry: Wholesale
  • Used for 2+ years

Square POS - for Community Theatre bar

Reviewed on 20/02/2020

Very good.
I am the (volunteer) bar manager for Elmira Theatre Company. Square POS allows me to process transactions for the bar - cash, debit and credit as payment.
I also purchased the Square POS system - iPad, stand, cash drawer and credit/debit card reader - package.
Works like a dream!

Pros

very easy to use
very easy to set up and configure
no monthly fees - only a flat rate discount on credit / debit card POS transactions

Cons

The daily credit / debit transactions are deposited the next business day; this works fine for a business, but not for a not for profit. We only have POS sales when we have show performances - three shows per year, three weekends (Thursday - Sunday) for each show. Thursday's sales are deposited on Friday. Friday, Saturday and Sunday sales are deposited on Monday - as three separate deposits. Our bank account service fee structure only allows for a fixed number of free deposit transactions. Some months the Square POS deposits resulted in additional bank service charges...
BUT now, Square has added an option to turn off automatic daily deposits and manually sned the total funds on hand when I choose. Not sure when they added this feature, but it will help a lot.

Autumn M.

I love my Square Point of Sale!

Reviewed on 11/11/2020

My experience with Square Point of Sale has been nothing but positive. It doesn't have any system glitches or any problems.

Pros

I have used Square Point of Sale for over 2 years and it has never disappointed me. I love that the software is easy to use. I have never had to use customer service for any issues I have had because I've never had any. It is very simple to use and it is great for taking customer transactions over the phone. You can type in the card and easily just charge the card. The card swiper is very convenient and attaches to my phone for use anywhere on the go. I also find that it works well with my phones service. I don't have issues with connection that would require me to connect it to wifi. I also like that I am not paying a monthly fee to use the service. Square only takes a little as a transaction fee from each transaction.

Cons

I don't like when it has timed me out when I haven't used the app on my phone for a while and I have to think about what my password is. It's a pain if you are in a hurry and getting ready for an event. I think a fingerprint sign-in would be great to make it faster if you do forget your password and your short on time.

Chris L.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great POS Solution for Mobile Business Needs

Reviewed on 26/05/2021

Overall the product has been very dependable and configurable to handle all of our credit card processing needs in remote locations far from our hardwired point of sale workstations.

Pros

Square allows us to process customer cards virtually anywhere in the world as long as we have cell connectivity.

Cons

The only limitations we have seen to this point are based around our limited usage of the software. Square has been deployed to process customer cards away from our dedicated point of sale terminals (separate software systems) and in order to have proper GL accounting in our dedicated POS systems we are re-creating the transactions in those clients and referencing our square terminals as payment. A minor inconvenience for a large solution.

Daniela E.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Perfect for my small business!

Reviewed on 16/04/2020

Very smooth. I have the swipe unit for now and I have never had a problem. I will most likely be purchasing the tap unit so that I can use debit cards.

Pros

This software is very user friendly, and easy to set up. The layout is logical and quick to learn. There is no monthly fee which is great for a business like mine that has few in store purchases. I really like the Estimate and Invoicing feature which I use weekly with schools. Record keeping for taxes is a breeze with the reports too!

Cons

As I have since expanded to using Square online store, I wish there were more pop up explanations beside the features. I am new to all the terminology and would love to see examples right beside the feature I am working with.

Nabeel C.

Square POS is a great tool for Vendors and Small Business Owners

Reviewed on 18/09/2018

All in all, Square POS is a must have if you are a small business owner and want to expand your business by accepting a wide variety of payment options. It makes the sale process easy and convenient but on the other hand, it is does charge a fee for every transaction which can add up overtime.

Pros

Square POS, provides access to small business owners and vendors to an incredible variety of payment, invoicing and sale options. It makes the acceptance and use of credit cards exteremly convenient and it can all be operated with the convenience of a smart phone or a tablet.

Cons

The biggest negative of Square POS, is the fee structure as it does end up costing significant amount of money to vendors and small business owners and a small percentage of every sale goes directly to Square. It would be great if Square had more package options and a variety of plans instead of the flat fee on every transaction.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

If you charge for services or sell anything, you need this. Period.

Reviewed on 22/03/2019

Square helps us get paid. Period. It's as simple as that. Honestly, it shouldn't be any more complex than that. It's a piece of software that does exactly what it's supposed to do - quickly, reliably, and for a fair price.

Pros

Square is amazing. It takes what has traditionally been a very cumbersome and complex process to be able to accept credit cards, and it makes it as simple as installing an app on your phone. A little more than two years ago when I started my company, Square was the first payment processor that I signed up for. It instantly allowed me to send invoices by email and collect credit card payments when working on site with a client. If I had to bill any other way, it would have created a needless hurdle that would have slowed me down. Thanks to Square I was able to accept payments everywhere that I was interacting with clients, whether that was online or in person. Just amazing.

Cons

There's not really anything to dislike about the software. Of course the fees could always be lower, but you can say that about anything. In truth, there's nothing really to complain about with square, except that not all of their credit card reading hardware is free. Only the base model is free, everything else that would accept chips or wireless contact payments on the newer credit cards you have to pay for, just like if you were buying any other piece of electronics. It would be great if they just made all their devices available for free, especially considering that they're making good money on the fees they charge to facilitate your transactions.

Charlene W.

Square makes mobile processing super easy!

Reviewed on 07/12/2017

Pros

The easy functionality of each component that Square offers.
The reports that Square generates are easy to interpret from a perspective of integrating into accounting/bookkeeping software. The fast turn around with deposits is really excellent as is the actual equipment, everything is so streamlined and easy to use whether we are inside our storefront or in the community using Square for offsite client payments.

Cons

The only negative for me was initially getting used to the per transaction fee being withheld immediately. In the past I had been used to the payment processor fees being deducted in a lump sum at the end of each billing cycle.

Jess M.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great simple POS for small shops

Reviewed on 07/03/2018

Square POS enabled us to add a POS to replace our old cash register for the minimum expense. Much more affordable than competing products but also has far fewer features and poor support for tip handling.

Pros

Very easy to setup

Affordable processing

Good invoicing system

Very easy to customize

Simple

Pretty design makes it easy to use all day

Cons

TERRIBLE at handling shifts and tips, even if you use their payroll or timeclock add ons.

Payroll and timeclock addons are very expensive

Did I mention tip handling? If you don't have employee management on and you have multiple shift workers sharing a register and pooled tips it turns into a Custom Report nightmare.

Jose D.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Good for quick transactions!

Reviewed on 21/04/2020

It was overall positive and was very versatile, allowing us to quickly add different POS across the board.

Pros

It's ease of use as POS software made it a great addition so we could use tablets and small devices to take orders and were able to increase our delivery revenue.

Cons

Cresting invoices and remotely charging repeat customers from the online invoicing feature was a bit cumbersome of the customer wanted to use the saved card on file, so we had to re-write our regulars card info rather than quickly using the saved ones on file for online orders.

Roxy ..

Great for start ups, pop ups and all Entrepreneurs

Reviewed on 19/02/2018

Pros

I like its sleek design and ease of use.
It was super easy for me a newbie to learn how to use this in less than 3 min.
its great because you can tie in you inventory, add pictures. (which sounds stupid but is great for marketing/getting repeat business) . I love the tip option at the end. Their cost is pretty low, compared to other POS systems out there that require all kinds of other grab. Again the easy of use and the visual appealing-ness of square are what have kept me using it. i have tired a couple others because you never know if the grass is greener on the other side! but i keep coming back to square pos and its what i recommend to everyone .

Cons

The only con is the % but again for the ease of use, i dont think its an outrageous fee, however if your business is running on super low margins than maybe you dont want to use square...

Michelle D.

Without Square my business of one couldn't afford to take credit cards

Reviewed on 13/05/2018

Pros

With Square it's easy and affordable for a small business to take credit cards and contactless forms of payment such as Apple and Google. As a healthcare provider, I can also take FSA and HSA cards. They're brilliant for having an offline mode of taking payments for when their servers or my wifi are down.

Cons

I honestly can't think of anything I don't like. I've never had an issue aside from their servers being down for part of a day, but I was still able to take payments in offline mode and was still paid on time.

Kathy S.

Square POS for Retail

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

Retail Point of Purchase is handled for all aspects of our need for retail. It solves our time constraints in training our staff due to its ease of use.

Pros

Square is very intuitive and user friendly. It's kvery easy to train new staff to use all the functions that Square POS has for daily operations.

Cons

There is hardly anything negative I have to say about this software that is the fundamental software we use in our business.

Sqare is no frills but no hassle either!

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Affordable hardware, simple UX, predictable fees, and intuitive interface works for this small business!

Pros

I like that Square is as straight forward as it gets. It doesn't have to be a complicated process selling an item, especially if you're not managing inventory with the POS system. Square is simple, is affordable (pricing and hardware) for a small company, and is an excellent value for the service we use it for.

Cons

It's a double edged sword; Square is pretty simple, and not extraordinarily robust. If you're looking for a clean way to manage aspects of your business (money handling, inventory, employees) Square can be great for you. At the same time, the reporting isn't super customizable, there isn't any singular module for inventory management, and it seems like it could quickly become NOT an excellent value if you're revenues grow significantly, quickly.

Bryan m. G.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Overall fantastic for restaurant cashier needs, could use one fix on customer end

Reviewed on 25/11/2018

My experience was overall good. Please fix that tip option screen so it's blatantly clear customers are prompted to leave a tip or not. Like i said, bold text maybe your best fix here.

Pros

Loved how easy it was to operate from a cashier perspective. The app interface makes it easy to select the items for any dish on our menu. It's almost like simply working my phone - all app based.

Cons

I'm not sure if it was our machine but sometimes cards wouldn't read when you slid them. However, my biggest gripe and concern is the tip screen for customers after you swipe their card. I would inform customers they need to sign but they are faced with this tip option first. They simply don't understand that they have the option to leave a tip or no. You almost need to say that in BOLD TEXT - LEAVE A TIP OR NO TIP. I can't tell you how

Harlan E.

Will that be MasterCard , Visa or American Express

Reviewed on 23/02/2020

With square providing Free magnetic stripe card readers and only charge a fair fee for a chipped card reader I can collect money very easy from my customers

Pros

For a small company it was vital for us to be able to accept credit card payments and Square allows small businesses to do so very inexpensivly!

Cons

I suppose the only down side is the credit card fee that is charged on every transaction which if you accept some large payments, adds up very quickly!

India O.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Simplify your life

Reviewed on 30/05/2018

Pros

The Square app is amazingly easy to set up and use. Within a few minutes I was able to set up a profile and link to my bank account. I spent another few hours setting up my inventory, and linking to pictures of the inventory. The ability to manage sales, taxes, and inventory all in one app is time saving and lends to efficiency. The training for my assistants was minutes, as the program is easy to understand and sales take few steps to complete. No issues with connectivity, even in areas where the ability to connect to cell towers might be questionable. The option for off line use is helpful should you find yourself in that situation. Transactions simple process as soon as you connect.

Cons

I couldn't find one thing I didn't like about this app, well maybe the fees, but that being said they are extremely reasonable and for the convenience of being able to accept credit cards at remote locations well worth the spend.