Symantec Endpoint Security

4.3/5
4.1/5

425 Software options

Chaucer W.

Use to be fantastic. But that was then. My, how things have changed.

Reviewed on 30/12/2018

For quite a few years I had Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) deployed across servers and workstations in multiple offices. At the time, I found it to offer the best balance of effectiveness and efficiency. Customers support was prompt and professional, and even after I fled the IT profession to preserve my sanity I kept SEP running on my own home computers. All was well until I upgraded to version 14, at which point everything pretty much went to hell.

Experiences that I have had with the new version of SEP:

• Total system lockups during every comprehensive system scan. The only way for me to get through a scan was to limit the scans to known file types.
• The SEP client grabbing every available CPU core without warning, even when there are no scans or updates scheduled.
• Technical support whose philosophy is apparently "Make the customer suffer enough and they will never complain again."

I spent a least than eight hours doing the bidding of the Symantec's support folks, but when it became apparent that they couldn't solve the problem I tried to close the support case as "problem not solved". At which point they made it clear that they intended to keep me jumping through hoops indefinitely. I finally told them that their constant stream of emails demanding yet more logfiles constituted harassment, and I blocked them at my email gateway for extra protection. Great job, folks. Now, I use Sophos.

Pros

Incredibly granular control of each security component, customizable to suit a broad range of business environments. IF you can get it to run, you get an amazing amount of control over the security policies in place for different types of machines and different offices within your business.

Cons

A tech support team trained in the dungeons of Mordor by the Dark Lord himself. Oh, and about SEP v14 bringing my system to it's knees: I'm sure that some of your customers love that, but I'll pass.

Sonu S.
  • Industry: Banking

Antivirus for systems

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

In a organisation spreading of virus and threat spreading is common issue. In order to protect from such incidents protection is being used.

Pros

As it is implemented on a centralized server, Pushing update is easy. We can monitor the healthiness of each endpoints that is every system.
If one threat is detected it can be analysed and stooped.

Cons

It also detects some files which doesn't contain any virus and are not threat to system.

Trend Micro Deep Security

Reasons for Switching to Symantec Endpoint Security

Best Deal, Cost effective, Better support and protection
Vicki F.

Software protection for your computer

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Save computer downtime and disruption. Helps to keep our data safe and free from malware and viruses. This prevents the cost of having to wipe and reprogram computers. there is a time and expense with this, not to mention the chance of losing critical information.

Pros

Like this software because I know that they are monitoring my computer 24/7 for viruses that could infect or even destroy my data. When I review something on the web or if I click into an email, this software will immediately notify me if it is a virus and takes care of it. Since the software itself is updated daily, they are always on top of making sure that the program is able to check the latest viruses. this is very important to us, because we need our data secure and our computers working in top condition.

Cons

I really have not found anything I don't like about this program - it works behind the scene doing what it needs to do. No software is full proof, because people are always coming up with new ways to create harm and be malicious. Since using this software we have had only one case of being attacked by a virus.

Justin N.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Symantec Endpoint Provides Fantastic Computer Protection 24-hours a day

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

Symantec Endpoint has protected our thousands of PCs from virus threats and malware too many times to count. Overall, our organization has been very pleased with protection coverage that Symantec is giving us.

Pros

There are a lot of reasons to like Symantec Endpoint, but the reason our company chose this product is because of the broad scope of coverage from viruses, malware, and constant monitoring of our data centers.

Cons

Our company employs thousands of staff and so we knew going in that this software would not be an inexpensive software acquisition. The initial proposal was outside of our price range but after some difficult conversations and negotiations with the Symantec sales team we were able to find a product and price that suited us.

Mark S.

Affordable business protection

Reviewed on 05/05/2020

Works well, I would suggest giving it a try and determine for yourself, with these solutions feel its really a matter of personal preference sometimes.

Pros

It came with some of the new machines we were buying so we decided to actually give it a try and not give up too quickly and put some of the other solutions on we are more focused to use. It ended up working well for the time we used it.

Cons

Some other services out there that I feel allow you to do and it does a whole lot more. After trying other solutions carried on using them instead.

Marsha J.

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

Pros

Symantec Endpoint Protection has been positive and we are using the product to protect entire users. Symantec Endpoint Security protects our data in the event the laptop is stolen which was very good. It also sends updates on the product which keeps us current, the ability to track each users and ensure that they have the product installed. The option to update to the latest version, the annual renewal is timely by Symantec. We also really appreciate you team that supports us and visit our office periodically to check up on us and other Symantec products we have in our organization.

Cons

Symantec Endpoint Security protects our data in the event the laptop is stolen which was very good however at times it causes the laptop to be a little slow in accessing files and data. It also sends updates on the product which keeps us current but we have to download the updates and send it to each user. The fact that the renewal was doubled for 2017 from what we paid in 2016,

Çağrı E.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great And Realible Software To Eliminate Viruses

Reviewed on 18/02/2020

I have been using Symantec End Protection software for 8 years in total. I had some experience with other Virus Protection Softwares like Kaspersky and I can it is best product I have seen so far.Symantec has never disappointed me and never failed to my expectations. We haven't recognized any performance loss even we exposed some virus attacks .Symantec software working as shield to proctect your computer . In addition to this it gives customers effectiveness and productivty in detecting viruses and defending your computer .

Pros

What I like most about the Symantec is offering shield mechanism which protect my computer from different types of viruses. Addition to this it does not harm your computer procesesor and you never feel any performance degradation problem

Cons

I have experienced some problems regarding old version programs on my computer which I installed many years ago.Symantec struggle to complete authentication of older programs. Additon to this I have never recieved any virus search report after scan of my computer

Dustin D.
  • Industry: Research

Please with Symantec Endpoint Protection

Reviewed on 19/01/2018

Great product. Easy to implement, use and manage. Easy to scale down or up depending on how many devices you have.

Pros

My organization has been using Symantec Endpoint Protection for over 5 years. This software is easy to use and distribute. The centralized admin interface makes it easy to add new devices and see an overall security overview of my organization's assets. The custom policies allow for me to make modifications on specific machines and not effect all the others. I do this to allow exceptions on several of our machines that need it in order to perform their function.

Cons

It isn't easy to temporarily disable for troubleshooting purposes. I need to temporarily disable Symantec so I could download a piece of software it was conflicting with. Had to look up how to do this and it was a multi step process. On the bright side the documentation of how to do it was easy to find and go through.

Jenée L.
  • Industry: Research

Suited for Large companies

Reviewed on 19/02/2020

Overall my experience with Symantec has been OK for use on my home computer. It may be better for use on a larger scale of companies but it can be used at home.

Pros

The Symantec Endpoint Protection is a well known security system to protect your computer from malware and viruses.I have used several different anti-virus systems for my computer and the Symantec has worked really well. It is good at stopping questionable programs from running or downloading on your computer that may seem untrustworthy. It also gives previews to sites showing questionable and unsafe sites. It also prompts you every time an upgrade is needed.

Cons

when the software has lapsed, or close to expiry it tends to be a hassle to get it renewed. It is better to be used in a large company scale since i use it on my home computer and can be a hassle when renewing.

• Industry: Telecommunications

Enterprise protection for your company computers

Reviewed on 13/05/2019

Our computers are coming already per-installed with Symantec Endpoint Protection. It is solid virus and malware protection tool. I get a notification of one web site ask me to access some permissions, Symantec Endpoint is warned me that web portal is suspicious even it seems like pretty normal education web site. It is up to dated virus and malware protection database really give me trust. I can schedule routine scanning to the night time so i don't effect from computer slowness when it scans

Pros

Malware and Virus protection is very reliable, very stable, easy to install and maintain product. It's notifications when they feel a threat is very satisfactory for me. It saved me from very potential threat situations. Almost weekly or daily up to dated virus and malware database.

Cons

When it scans all your computer, your computer starts to work a bit slowly. But you can schedule this scans.

• Industry: Design

A security shields for stop the attacks of virus.

Reviewed on 14/04/2019

Symantec security is an well design tool to protect our devices from powerful threats which could be so harmful for our important data. Symantec works smoothly and enable us to surf safely on internet . A good option for me to keep my all devices safe from risky threats.

Pros

Symantec is a security platform for us and as well as for our clients and it provide us basic security features. We can easily manage and protect our several devices from tricky virus and only one agent can control all devices. Symantec Endpoint Protection can automatically detect the upcoming virus or threats in our system. We can also scan our emails as well as our other useful files. Symantec antivirus is very useful for our several devices and also compatible with all kind of latest devices.

Cons

Symantec is good security option for our plenty of devices but also have some issues to work with this tool. when we start to deep system scan it takes approximately up to an hour to complete which is not so good for our business work. This antivirus contains a lot of memory in our system and slow down our system for other applications. Install easily but tedious to remove from system.

Joey A.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Symantec is here to stay and a game changer

Reviewed on 15/10/2018

We've been using Symantec since it was still called Symantec Anti-Virus and it has come a long way since. However, like any sound strategy, one should never rely solely on one product for protection. It should always be supplemented with an end-point gateway protection AND education of the weakest link: The human firewall.

Pros

The product is much lighter on resources. It is accurate and very rarely has false-positives. It is easy to configure and automatically updates itself in random intervals.

Cons

Symantec End Point Protection can border on the paranoid. Every time an aspect is updated (whether an executable or otherwise), Symantec always prompts you if "you want <the Product> to access the network?" If you answer NO accidentally, then critical systems could be affected.in random intervals further freeing up resources.

Isaias G.
  • Industry: Environmental Services
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Symantec endpoint protection

Reviewed on 18/04/2020

My overall experience were positively a great program to have if your someone like me that writes a lot in coffeee shop having a endpoint protection comes in handy doing constant sans helping me get full protection.

Pros

What I like about Symantec endpoint protection is that is does constant scanning and checking for virus. I had I trojan house virus in internet and it picked it up. The constant updates feather helps get virus that tend to hide with the systems. It real time scan. Help gets things that other app don’t .

Cons

What I least like about the software is the new liecens can be different when you time is up.

Matt M.

Quiet Endpoint Protection Software

Reviewed on 16/07/2018

Pros

I like that the software has a small footprint and runs quietly. I don't like when antivirus software talks to me or bugs me every five minutes with popups. Endpoint Security runs silently in the background, sends notifications when they're needed, and doesn't otherwise bother me. I might even forget it was there.
The interface is very minimal, not overloading you with lots of big buttons to click on.

Cons

I don't have much in the way of complaints right now, but I will say that while I like the simple interface, I do find that sometimes I would like to have a little more control from the user side, or at least the option to view it while sitting at a users desk.

Beth G.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

It has only improved through the years.

Reviewed on 01/12/2020

Pros

We've used this for about 20 years now, and with every new computer and new version we've implemented, we've been pleased that the processing doesn't slow the computer down as much. It keeps our computer ssafe, is easy to pause when it happens to want to run at a very poor time.

Cons

I wish it was more obvious when the program was running like a new badge in the taskbar or something, because it's not always clear; it would be good to know so that you can pause it at a time where you can not sacrifice processing speed. You have to open the system first to check and see if it's another program causing delay.

Tom K.

Good product

Reviewed on 15/08/2019

Pros

This product provides excellent protection for our companies pcs.

Cons

The virus update packages can be large and take some time to update

Jeff B.

Good virus protection but needs improvement in performance and malware protection

Reviewed on 21/03/2020

Classic and well working anti virus program with easy to deploy in business environment but still lacks protection again malwares and spywares. Performance enhancement may be needed to keep current clients and attract new users.

Pros

Well structured system including server side manager and workstation client deployment
Endpoint manager allows policy management in multiple areas including virus protection, firewall, exception and other areas. Client deployment has multiple options for server and clients as well as remote push or standalone packages.

Cons

Performance degradation is prominent when working with file based database engines like Visual Fox Pro . And protection against malwares and spywares are very limited at best. Compatibility with major programs are also concern. Latest version of endpoint client caused Chrome browser failure. Removal was required to make Chrome work again.

Kaspersky Endpoint Security and SecureAnywhere
David A.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

This software really keeps you safe on the internet and gives you peace of mind

Reviewed on 11/01/2018

This software is great for defending against viruses and Trojans and other online threats. It works well and gives yo peace of mind.

Pros

I have been using this software for many years and have never had a virus or Trojan. This software has kept my PC safe over the years and has proved to be reliable.

Cons

I would like the live update to make a pop up with the statement that the definitions are current if they are out of date. I like the fact that everything works behind the scenes but I would rather know that everything has been updated.

Caroline P.
  • Industry: Computer Games

It has allowed our employees to work more safely.

Reviewed on 11/04/2020

Symantec is a comprehensive protection software that has allowed our employees to work more secure and with greater control by our systems and security administrators, allows us to scan for each sector of the company and prevents information theft through attacks or foreign devices on the network, has a control panel where you can control all active devices.
It helps to improve the control of devices and personnel in general to maintain under strict compliance our security and privacy protocols.

Pros

Symantec offers us an intuitive interface that makes it very easy to schedule scans and locate leaks, quarantine any suspicious files or records isolating the problem before it infects other computer units, provides us with very complete reports that allow us to develop strategies and policies for privacy and security more in line with the needs of our company.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about SEP.

Prince M.
  • Industry: Accounting

A Solution for viruses

Reviewed on 24/08/2019

We used to have computers being constantly formatted because of viruses but after we started using the endpoint, we no longer have that problem.

Pros

I have used various types of anti viruses but i have fallen in love Symantec Endpoint Protection as it eliminated all the problems i used to have. At University of Zimbabwe , it is now the only antivirus that is used by both students and staff after a careful consideration by the University IT guys. It provides end to end protection for computers and laptops .

Cons

Though the antivirus cost lower than other antiviruses , it comes with some other cost it requires a machine with higher specs.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Symantec worries about my computer's security so I don't have to.

Reviewed on 18/01/2019

Pros

Symantec routinely does quick and full virus scans in the background, so even if I go months without thinking about my computer's security, I don't have to worry, because Symantec defaults to daily quick-scans and weekly full-machine scans, so I know I am always safe. If there is ever an immediate threat, I get a notification, and can quickly and easily rectify the situation.

Cons

Full scans are a bit lengthy, but since they usually happen in the background, it's not a big deal. Still, I feel like if I start a full scan and go into a three hour meeting, by the time I come back, the full scan should be done. But, I guess at least I know it is being very thorough. My expectations may just be a bit high.

Charles S.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Symantec Endpoint Protection Review

Reviewed on 06/12/2016

This product offers complete endpoint protection especially for companies requiring strict data compliance. UI is very easy to use.

Pros

The real time scanning is very effective and does not slow down my computers. Free product updates with a current license. Mac and Linux operating systems are also supported.

Cons

I don't like the fact that after pushing a new update it always requires a restart.

Felipe R.

Good all together protection

Reviewed on 17/07/2019

Pros

Is a good all-protection tool/agent that can help you to prevent many different threats and vulnerabilities.

Cons

is heavy for your PC, the amount of RAM and CPU can get very high some times, specially when doing regular scans or updates

Luis C.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great and trustable Threat Protection

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

Securing many PCs from a large organization ensuring all are provided a first protection layer.

Pros

The Reputation Symantec has as a Security provider is really important since they have provided threat protection since the 90s and they only increase their coverage every year.

Cons

It is a bit resource consuming and sometimes it makes the computers reduce their performance, wish they made it more lightweight.

Eric M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Its protecting great without even knowing its there!

Reviewed on 10/10/2019

When all of the popular virus scares come out i feel confident when i go run a full scan that my computer doesn't have any issues

Pros

Just like my title, it doesn't slow down any programs and you can set it to not have any pop ups while running. Doesn't slow down the computer at all!

Cons

really no cons. I guess I would just have to say you have to kind of toy with the settings to customize it the way you want.