Workday HCM

Unified human capital management and talent acquisition

4.2/5
4.3/5
4.1/5
4.2/5

799 Software options

Patrick j M.

Experienced Architect Required for Success

Reviewed on 27/05/2021

I have configured Workday daily, for the past 7 years. I have configured every module from payroll to benefits to recruiting and you'll be hard-pressed to find another Workday expert with as much experience as me.

Pros

Workday is the best HCM software in THE world. Nothing and I mean nothing is superior. We can argue about the competency of individual modules, especially payroll, but as a core HCM platform, no other software can compete. Anybody that says otherwise does not know what they're talking about. Anybody that complains about usability is probably not working with a quality Solutions Architect. To successfully implement and maintain this application, it is absolutely required that you employ at least one experienced, rockstar Solutions Architect. The application is expensive and is crucial that you fully leverage all of the technology that the app offers. Use its sophisticated features to optimize your HR department.

Cons

Workday knows that they have a real gem here. As a result, their attention to customer support has consistently declined as the popularity of the application has increased. Unless you're a major client oh, you're not going to get good customer support. What do I mean by a major client? I'm talking about the Google's the Facebook's the Adobe's, and even then, the support can leave something to be desired. And I'm speaking as someone who has worked at one of the aforementioned. An HR executive once told me that starting with work day was like being given the keys to a fancy new Ferrari but not even being shown how to start the car. Also, just because they work for workday doesn't mean they know what the hell they're talking about. The popularity has grown so has their staff. Obviously, some of these staff members are incompetent. I have experienced this firsthand and I assure you that it is frustrating when the so-called Workday SME is significantly less experienced than yourself. And this was at a time when I was fairly green. I have had to clean up confusingly complex convoluted implementations, after the fact. While I appreciate the job security, this is not a great way for any company to begin a relationship with their customer. We all know that a popular software can quickly be overtaken by a newer, better product. Workday is vulnerable here and somebody could exploit it.

Reasons for Switching to Workday HCM

We had the budget and the buy-in to procure the absolute best HCM product available in the market, and Workday is that product.
Tom G.

Workday

Reviewed on 07/10/2021

Pros

Generally quite intutitve and the dashboard allows you to find what you need. I.e. the recruiting dashboard tile brings you to all of your open & assigned requisition. Depending on how your organisation has set up your options, you can easily navigate around to find your personal details, performance review, time off and create new requisitions.

Cons

There are far too many clicks and the reporting is very limited & overly complicated. The Workflow is far too complicated and there are too many steps, which can make the system extremely complicated and hard for the average user to understand how to complete simple tasks e.g. creating a new requisition, transferring a colleague into another manager etc.

• Industry: Banking

Powerful Interface Human Resources System

Reviewed on 21/10/2018

Pros

Workday Recruiting has taken our HR needs to the next level. Where can you you find a software that has the combination not just for your HR needs but for finance and planning as well. Each time I have board meetings at the bank, I feel secured that I can extract all the information I need from this software. It didn’t just keep my work organized, but also gave me the ability to track data ranging from time sheets to expenses which is what I basically needed. I’m so glad we invested in this software which has lightened my workload in half.

Cons

My only pet peeve with this software is when you encounter an error while posting a job opening, you’ll need to redo the whole thing again. Unless I am missing something, there is no option to resubmit, but it makes you start the entire process all over again.

Leonardo R.
  • Industry: Insurance

Workday simplifies the way we manage employee information

Reviewed on 09/04/2021

Centralization of employee information. We used to have to access different systems for different aspects of an employee porfile. Now everythiing is one place:
- Payroll
- Performance review
- Employee vacation tracking
- Job description and salary details

Pros

I can find everything related to my profile as an employee in one place. Whether it is information related to my salary, payroll, time off/vacation, job description. It's all managed in one application. Also, the yearly performance reviews and goals are more simple to enter and submit.

Cons

Some of the screens are not easy to use. The buttons are sometimes confusing. For example, submitting a request for vacation seems cumbersome as there are different buttons that seem to do the same thing displayed at the same time.

Kay C.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Workday Recruiting - You'll set back your recruiting function years behind

Reviewed on 21/06/2017

integration w/ Workday HR - not enough benefit to outweigh the functional negatives

Pros

Graphical Interface - cool graphics is the only positive
Yes it integrates candidate data with HR (if you have Workday HR) but that benefit isn't worth the flaws

Cons

Workflow is too restrictive - nice in theory but you have to go back to you in-box to move the candidate to the next step
Offers take forever and if you make a mistake you have to resend to leader for approval
Everything is effective dated - if you have a recruiter who started after a req is opened they can't take action on a candidate who applied before that date (terrible for vacation coverage/new hire recruiters).
Can't search by candidate name (e.g. you are looking for John Smith - Names tha thave J or S in them come up in no particular order - also can't use the ATS as a sourcing database (we had a progressive sourcing team and they couldn't use it)
Recruiters in a high volume environment will hate it - it takes literally 4x the time to hire a candidate in the system. There are too many steps and flaws.
There are many more issues - My company met with Workday User Experience Leader and they listened to the feedback and in a year - no changes were made. These aren't configuration issues people - these are architectural design flaws. Run don't walk from this software - It's at least 5 - 10 years away from anything on the market.
You will impact recruiter morale in high volume recruiting shops. If you have very low volume recruiting then I guess you could live with it.
Reporting functionality is almost nil - doesn't come with any really useful canned reports - very limited.

Robust, expensive, do-it-yourself software

Reviewed on 01/10/2020

Pros

Workday offers a very robust program where you can customize your modules to fit your company's needs.

Cons

From a payroll perspective, I don't like that you are essentially 'on your own' without an account manager.

Tim M.

Workday - Efficient

Reviewed on 12/04/2020

It took my a couple of months, but after that I really began to love Workday. I really like how you can track so much HR related information in one place. It makes my life efficient.

Pros

The biggest pro of Workday is how options that are available to front line managers like me. It stores everything from Performance Documents, time off information, and salary guidelines all in one place.

Cons

I still struggle with finding the most effective reports to use. There are so many reports available to the managers that it takes time to figure out what reports are best for you.

• Industry: Human Resources

Workday Review

Reviewed on 01/06/2020

Pros

It very easy to use, with friendly design and accessibility!

Cons

Some processes can be slow, which causes system to show error. Besides that, all works great!

Moheez A.

Moheez Review

Reviewed on 06/01/2020

I used workday for daily recording of my attendance, to set up my quarterly goals, and provide and receive our performance reviews.

Pros

360-degree employee performance review is the best feature for employees as well as managers. It gives ease to employees to review their performance in a systematic way and receive feedback from their management.

Cons

Adding daily attendance in the software. It should be integrated with the fingerprint machine to recognize automatically.

Kurt F.

Workday HCM as a Reporting Platform

Reviewed on 20/05/2019

I have worked within the platform in a reporting capacity. I have created custom reports, dashboards, and calculated fields.

Pros

I use the Workday HCM mainly for employee reporting and what I like best is the vast amount of customization you can use when creating reports. There are unlimited options in terms of fields and report types. The platform also has great capabilities for creating visuals and dashboards.

Cons

What I like least about this platform is the complexity required when creating reports. In many cases it feels much more complicated than it needs to be. It can take vast amounts of time figuring out solutions to simple problems.

Diane B.

Workday is only good if you have an HRIT team

Reviewed on 10/02/2017

Workday is a big system and not for a small Company. They are also expensive and use a ticketing customer service model so you can't just pick up the phone and call when you have an issue. Once you do put in a ticket it is a 24-72 hour turnaround before they even call back. They also charge by the hour for the service. If you want to make any changes to it, you have to be able to code at a certain level and then again, they charge you for everything. Including setting up Open Enrollment for Benefits to setting up Performance Management.

Pros

Once it is up and running it is sophisticated.

Cons

Too expensive for smaller company and too difficult to understand at first.

Matt M.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great product that is constantly getting better

Reviewed on 06/12/2018

Pros

The whole eco-system was great but I really liked the ability to incorporate feedback (from multiple stakeholders) into the reviews process as desired.

Cons

Certain inter-dependencies at times made it difficult to leverage all features - for example you need to implement WD- Recruiting to leverage certain functionality about internal posting, etc. Also, the timing of the upgrades can be challenging but I dont see a way around that since all users are on the same instance/version of the product. Really though they its a great product that is listening to its customers.

German D.

The most intuitive and organized work expense method that I have used.

Reviewed on 06/04/2018

Workday is an intuitive and reliable software. I use it most for my expenses and it helps me report and keep financial expenses organized so I can get reimbursed in a timely and efficient manner. I know my management team loves it definitely makes the payroll department's lives much easier!

Pros

I've worked at a couple of large tech companies, and expensing things was always a hassle. At my newest job, I have to travel to some of our different locations for training, and I use workday for my expenses. I can easily upload my expenses, and have it approved by a manager, and get compensated very quickly. I love that Workday is available as an app on my phone as well, this makes it really convenient for me to always stay up to date, and log my expenses wherever I go. Expenses are only one of the features of workday I use, and this is a software that is very expansive . They also have 24 hour support, so they're really good at getting back to you if you need help.

Cons

I wish I had the ability to customize the layout of the interface. There are certain features I use more than others and I wish I could choose to remove things I don't use.

Sara Y.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Good system, could use some tweaking to make features better

Reviewed on 23/12/2020

Pros

Applicant tracking system was easy to use when hiring employees. Overall, most of the system is easy to use and get the information I am looking for.

Cons

Before I had the manager profile, I could not see my own annual compensation amount as an employee. Now I can see it in the manager profile, but it would be helpful for employees who want to see their annual salary, especially when raises go through.

Steve C.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Time consuming payroll

Reviewed on 18/10/2018

Consolidating multiple areas of HR , personal information and payroll in one place.

Pros

All in one place use. This system really does let you bring everything into one place. It has lots of features and is very robust.

Cons

Very time consuming navigating. Needed to go through multiple pages to change and approve payroll. A lot of times going to the home screen was faster the navigat through pages.

Mathew E.

Its good

Reviewed on 23/06/2020

Pros

I love workday as an HRIS tool! They listen to their communities well and make regular product changes to help enhance users easily navigate. I'm a front end user and its a good tool. It has come a LONG way in just two years.

Cons

Ability to customize isn't there, perhaps in future product updates. They are still figuring themselves out.

intuitive, easy interface

Reviewed on 30/04/2018

Pros

The WorkDay interface is sophisticated and user friendly. It feels fresh, young and intuitive. I like the aesthetic.

Cons

When trying to submit an expense report and I'll continue to get error messages without guidance on how to fix. I then need to reach out to an internal team which causes delay. Would be great if you could hover over a field for guidance.

Paul S.
  • Industry: Warehousing
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Using Workday during your workday.

Reviewed on 20/09/2021

Overall experience with this Workday program is very good and its very easy to navigate.

Pros

We use Workday for all management tracking of time off, workday tracks days off and keeps records of each associate including his profile, compensation and personal data.

Cons

There are really no cons to this software, its a good tracking tool.

Lisa T.
  • Industry: Accounting

Workday WORKS

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

Workday is a great resource for manager during the appraisal process.

Pros

During the merit increase period, it ensures that a pay change goes into effect before an employee sees it. This is perfect for when a performance review needs to be delivered after the pay change has gone into effect.

Cons

It times out relatively quickly - within 15 minutes.

User Provisioning

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

Auto provisioning users in a Microsoft environments smoothly. Workday has been easy to set up a feed to automatically create new hires as the accept positions. This allows the new hire to have the same username and password going from the day they accept the position to after they leave.

Pros

Nice interface
Easy to understand
Good options for setting up usernames and passwords within Workday
It's able to email new employees with their credentials.

Cons

Terminating hire and rehiring them as casuals can be a little complicated. But still not bad.

Corinne M.

Solid Product

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

Pros

I think Workday has everything you need for a basic HR software. It's easy to access timekeeping, PTO, and directories.

Cons

It is somewhat hard to navigate through changing personal info. There are multiple different areas you have to go on your profile depending on what you need to update which can be confusing for users.

Jared H.

Best HCM Software on the Market

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

We needed an HCM that would support our growing organization.

Pros

I like that it is cloud based, so there is no equipment to manage for our internal team. I like that it is configurable to allow some minor changes to match our business processes, but not so different that we have to spend all our time testing new releases. I like their release schedule to get plenty of time to review the new features and that you have to turn them on.

Cons

You have to be a Workday client to get training in Workday. Support is limited. You generally have to go through a 3rd party group.

Very good software!

Reviewed on 08/10/2020

I like Workday for its easiness to use, I will keep using it.

Pros

I use Workday Benefits every day with my company, we have our payroll there, and we have also good visibility on our benefits.

Cons

I use it for more than two years, and I don't have any negative point in my mind, it is really a good tool.

Christina P.
  • Used for 2+ years

Workday for Self-Service Payroll

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

Workday payroll encourages employees to take action on their own instead of relying on HR to answer all questions or take all actions related to payroll.

Pros

I like that Workday was created in such a way that employees can be more autonomous in finding information related to payroll. Additionally, employees can make modifications to their withholdings and other payroll functions without the need to ask members of the HR team, so people are left with more time to do more important things.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about Workday, but it is cloud based which means that you have to have internet to access any information on Workday. It would be great if some information was available offline.

Easy to Access Benefits Information

Reviewed on 08/03/2020

Workday Benefits is overall a great solution for centralizing benefit information. Customer service is very helpful whenever issues arise, which is rare.

Pros

Workday is easy to use, which is its best feature. Everything is centralized in one place - W2s, 401k information, time off requests, staff directory, etc. From an employee standpoint, it is fantastic to have everything readily available and not toggle between internal sites and intranets.

Cons

While mostly intuitive, a few functions seem mis-categorized - i.e. "Time" and "Absences" are separate, whereas it makes more sense to either put them together in one category, or create two categories that are more clearly named. In addition, it needs to be easier for employers to remove functions that do not apply to their organization.