Resource Guru

Cloud based team scheduling software

4.5/5

• Industry: Utilities
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Solved the Scheduling Problem

Reviewed on 09/11/2021

It has been an excellent experience. I brought resource guru to my current company after experiencing it as a project manager at another consulting firm.

Pros

The ability to filter, sort, and visualize resource assignments across 50+ individuals with a variety of technical abilities has helped remove a lot of the pain in managing geographical diverse field crews

Cons

I would like the ability to see 4-6 months on the screen at once. Instead of individual blocks for each day, I would like to see each block represent one week (a zoom out option).

Some projects are 1-5 days, while a lot of assignments are 3+ months.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Patrick

Thanks for leaving your feedback! I'm pleased to say you can achieve viewing the Schedule in a weekly or monthly way is firmly on our roadmap. In the meantime I would advise you to try using the Browser zoom together with the zoomed in view in the Schedule:

Depending on your browser, you will find the zoom in different locations but usually it's under the menu item "View" or you use the shortcut "Cmd" (Mac) / "Ctrl" (PC) and "+/-/0".

I hope this helps but if there's anything else I can do to help please just let me know.

Ben F.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Great resourcing software. So easy to use.

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

Has helped immensely with staff resourcing and maximising utilisation.

Pros

The visual interface and ease to move (drag and drop) staff bookings around.

Cons

Not having a search feature within Projects field.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Ben
Thanks for sharing your feedback :) We do have plans to let you reorder your projects in future, but I'm afraid I can't give you an accurate release date for this just yet. In the meantime, you could put numbers at the start of your projects names in order to group them on the schedule.

Please don't be a stranger if there's anything else we can do to help :)

Happy scheduling!

Paula C.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Provides Great Resource Management!

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

With many staff members doing field work, Resource Guru helps greatly with schedule planning and tracking where staff are at any given time.

Pros

This software is easy to learn and use. We can see the availability of resources at a glance, and it's simple to make any edits to current entries as needed. The option to add personal photos for resources is fun to use and adds a bit of personalization to each resource.

Cons

When choosing a date to enter information, we need to scroll over the calendar instead of clicking, because clicking on dates will automatically trigger a window for entering new information.

Adile C.

Resource scheduling never easier

Reviewed on 09/12/2019

It has make resourcing scheduling so much easier. Staff knows what they are supposed to be working on and managers can plan properly resources and understand conflicts or overtime required to complete projects on time.

Pros

It is a very easy tool to schedule resources. you can extend tasks across weeks, split tasks, duplicate tasks across different team members. It is visual and easy to use. It allow us to understand who is working on what projects.
You can customise and filter resources by teams and you have a reporting tool where you can see by week how is your resource utilisation.

Cons

the Zoom -+ button will only show present week or next 6 weeks. It would be good if you can select how many weeks you want to see, between 1-6 weeks to visualise on the Schedule tab.
sometimes when adding many tasks on a day for one resource, you create overtime unnecessarily it would be good to have a button/option to distribute same amount of time to all the tasks for a day, taking the amount of hours the resource works a day.
Reporting- when reporting who is working on what project, it would be useful to have the percentages of time spent on each project.

Float

Reasons for Switching to Resource Guru

value for money
Alan M.
  • Industry: Design

A Helping Hand

Reviewed on 22/02/2021

Resource Guru is great really help keep on top managing your workflow.

Pros

Easy to use, helpfully displays list of tasks for the day and week. easy to amended if the work flow changes, and keep track of work done and what is lined up next.

Cons

The only con that comes to mind is that unless you have schedule open in Brower your are not notified is anything is add or removed on the day you are work.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Alan

Thanks for sharing your feedback when you responded to the survey we recently sent you :) We have firm plans to release an enhanced notification system in future, but in the meantime if you'd like emails to be sent more frequently you could setup DIY notifications using our Zapier integration. You can read about using the Zapier integration here https://help.resourceguruapp.com/en/articles/2942116-using-the-resource-guru-zapier-app
I'm not sure which email client you use, but as an example, you can find the triggers and actions available between Resource Guru and Gmail here https://zapier.com/apps/gmail/integrations/resource-guru.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if there's anything else we can do for you. I'm always happy to help!

Jessica A.

Resource Guru - helps tackle lack of resource visibility

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

We are now able to track all of the resources within our department and run metrics on what is being worked on and what our utilisation is across IT. We also use this as a recharging model to our businesses so this is a vital piece of software.

Pros

The software is an easy to use format with searchable features and the ability to track personal from their actual hours work to the forecast showing future demand. The ability to allow resources to book against multiple codes and be organised in multiple teams means that reporting from the tool provides vital details for our KPI's and metrics, helping drive improvements and efficiencies within our organisation

Cons

There is a limited pipeline of change and growth of the software, which does not allow development in areas that would be useful to our company.

Dominique P.

Resource Guru is perfect for my everyday booking needs!

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

I have been managing the project assignations in my department using Resource Guru since 2012. As soon as I tried it, I fell in love with it. Is gets the job done! And it does not contain a ton of useless features like some of its competitors. It is easy to use, realiable. I use it everyday to manage my staff occupation and I don't know if I could work without it. A really great tool!

Pros

The booking features are simple and efficient to use! The reporting module is also very useful!

Cons

For my personal needs, everything is there! Is does exactly what I need and it does the job perfectly.

Dennis V.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Guru will get your team into gear

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

At any time the producers and project managers have a full overview of what the creative team is up to, if they have time to work on other projects and their availability. it is easy to work with for top line planning and for in-detail remarks or instructions. As you can limit the workdays to 8 hours it becomes quicky apparent if additional resources are needed as you create "on hold" projects.

Pros

it is easy to plan projects and see what every team member is working on, when holidays are happening and their general availability. No more questioning what they should be working on when their project manager is not around.

Cons

it suits the purpose I have for it, but it would be great if you would be able to archive non-active projects easier than handling them one by one.

Steven W.

Man with a plan

Reviewed on 27/11/2019

Pros

Helps effortlessly plan resource allocation and gives a great overview of the entire team's workload. It is easy for all to follow and keeps everyone in the loop.

Cons

Would be good if it could integrate with other project management tools e.g. Trello.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Steven

Thanks for leaving a great review! I wanted to let you know that you can certainly connect Resource Guru with the other tools you use to run your business. If you have some programming capabilities at your end you might be interested in our API. You can find all of the API documentation via our Developer Center here https://app.resourceguruapp.com/developers/

Alternatively, our Zapier integration requires no programming skills and lets you connect Resource Guru with 1,500+ other apps, including Trello! You can read about using the Zapier integration here https://help.resourceguruapp.com/en/articles/2942116-using-the-resource-guru-zapier-app And here's a link to the Resource Guru/Trello integration page: https://zapier.com/apps/trello/integrations/resource-guru

I hope this helps! Please don't be a stranger if there's anything else we can do for you :)

Kat

Sherry K.
  • Industry: Media Production

Great tool for easily managing your resources!

Reviewed on 13/10/2021

We like using this tool because we can see how things can be more efficient, like resources taking on more than one job at a time. Or providing someone with some downtime because we can see they've been overbooked for awhile.

Pros

This software is intuitive and easy to use. The colour coding makes is simple to make sense of what we are looking at - what resources are available and not.

Cons

The software has everything that we need for our purposes. I think we would benefit from using more of its features, but the majority of our team prefers to keep it simple as a way to save time and energy that we put into scheduling.

Nicole O.

Completely relieved our weekly resourcing headache

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

Pros

Guru has great UX; it was so easy to train the other administrators in how to use it. It also gives us a perfect snapshot of upcoming weeks.

Cons

It would be nice if new projects under the same client automatically changed to the established client color.

Mark W.

Using Guru

Reviewed on 25/11/2019

Good for identifying where the rest of the team are working and if they are contactable. Also referencing the project codes for time sheets and expenses.

Pros

The software is easy to use and intuitive so that the learning curve is very short. No formal training was required and I was using with just a few minutes.

The sending of my items to my email is a really good feature.

Cons

Really would be useful if it had its own apps on Apple and Chrome devices as having to go into the web browser and log into the site is a real pain.

Pamela M.

Pros and Cons of the Guru Scheduler

Reviewed on 05/11/2019

It has helped the business tremendously by keeping everyone on track as to what they are doing everyday as well as being able to see what is going on in the future, whether it is the next week, month year, etc. Also what has been previously done.

Pros

It helps to keep track of what you are doing everyday as well as being able to see everyone else's schedule.
Like the fact you can drag appointments to another employee on the same date and/or another date.

Cons

Do not like the fact a user can delete previous appointments, such as prior week, month, year, etc.
If an appointment needs to be deleted from previous week, month, year, etc., the administrator needs to be the only one that can delete it. Only the week of and future days will the user be allowed to delete or change appointments.

Samantha M.

Love it!

Reviewed on 18/01/2021

I use it every day and find it very useful!

Pros

I like how my dashboard, and my schedule section are organized. I love the daily quotes.

Cons

Integration with our business was great. I think I'm missing the possibility to attach documents to tasks.

Response from Resource Guru

Thanks for sharing your feedback :) All links you enter are clickable, so I'd recommend hosting your documents somewhere online like Google Drive, then add the direct link for the document in the Details section of your booking. I hope this helps!

Kevin R.

Great Solution for Problem Management

Reviewed on 06/11/2019

Pros

We use the out of office option which allows any responses to jump back into the queue in case one of our Techs is unavailable. This one little feature has dramatically decreased resolution time while increasing customer satisfaction.

Cons

When merging tickets the windows aren't big enough. It's manageable but would be nicer if the windows were bigger.

Mark W.
  • Industry: Machinery

Resource Guru Made My Job Manageable

Reviewed on 02/12/2019

The departmental schedule for my team is extremely dynamic. We are responding constantly to customer requests with onsite support, and at the same time maintaining a heavy project work load at our home facility. Resource Guru has given my team the ability to schedule much further into the future and better organize our activities. Result is increased efficiency and profitability.

Pros

I enjoTey the ability to very quickly create and adjust assignments. The schedule for my team is extremely dynamic. Resource Guru enables me to quickly make changes from anywhere.

Cons

Have no dislikes of the software. Could use the ability to filter projects by customer and other similar organizational options.

Nicole K.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Chaos Coordinator for Sure!

Reviewed on 26/04/2019

when I first started using it- I immediately navigated through it and was able to use it first day. Very easy! Would Recommend!

Pros

Resource Guru is like my own little personal assistant where I can pretty much organize my entire day from scheduling my warehouse inbound/outbounds to scheduling drivers for events as not to overlap them.

Cons

The new beta version looks awesome- wish we could edit it now. Old format kind of hard to read at times for scheduling.

Response from Resource Guru

Hi Nicole - thanks for the great review! The beta schedule has the same functionality as the existing one except availability exceptions (coming very soon), so you should be able to create and edit bookings in there without any problem. It works well on mobile too :)

Thanks, Percy

Richard L.
  • Industry: Facilities Services
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Makes it super easy to stay on the same page as my coworkers!!

Reviewed on 03/10/2018

We do not have the scheduling conflicts that we used to have in the past.

Pros

Easy to use from anywhere and you can filter out the schedules you don't want to see. We no longer have issues figuring out vacation coverage for our people.

Cons

Would like to see an iPhone app and an Android app in the future instead of suing the web browser all the time.

Scott L.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Inuitive, easy to implement and support us across the board

Reviewed on 02/08/2021

Pros

Resource Guru is easy to set up, adapt and use. It gives us a great overview of projects and resources and supports us across the board - from client discussions to delivery to reporting.

Cons

Honestly, can't think of anything. And if we have suggestions we know the RG team will want to hear them.

Michelle H.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

You can rely on the guru

Reviewed on 08/02/2021

Efficient and optimal team utilization. Makes resourcing a sizable team so much easier!

Pros

Ease of use- friendly functionality and resource overview. Simple data input. Easy at a glance utilization

Cons

I would love a mobile app. Desktop only can make it tricky for me to check resource planning when I’m on the move.

Sara G.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Great Software to keep check on all the projects and time management

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

Pros

I use this software everyday, I look which projects are planned in my week, see how much time resources I have - it really helps me schedule my day and gives me the needed structure. I can also see how busy my Colleagues are, before asking them for help or giving them a Job for a specific project.

Cons

As a User I can't make any suggestions for my schedule or comment on specific tasks. I'd have to be an administrator.

Stephanie M.

Game Changer

Reviewed on 08/07/2021

We are booking out months rather than 2 weeks. We have a better idea of work load than ever before.

Pros

The ability to schedule out more than two weeks. We had been using a white board for years. Also, the emails automatically sent each morning with schedule are very helpful. We've never been able to be this proactive with our schedule.

Cons

No cons. It was so easy to set up and intuitive to use.

Michael H.

Resource Guru - A God send

Reviewed on 19/02/2021

Pros

Resource Guru is so easy to use and I rely on it to inform me as to my daily tasks, and keep me up to date on my time management, it's a must have tool.

Cons

It does all I need it to. I can't think of anything else I would need it to do.

Emma F.

Reviewed on 07/01/2020

This programme has helped our small advertising agency manage our designers time more effectively. We are able to have an overview of how busy each designer is and book in new jobs accordingly (previously a system like this did not exist).

Pros

Easy to train new people on the system
Nice weekly overview of the designers time

Cons

It would be helpful if the dashboard was organised by chronological time order.
The programme would update live (currently need to refresh).

Simon P.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

User experience - great

Reviewed on 08/04/2021

This has allowed the users in my team to collaborate and plan ahead, referencing existing information.

Pros

I can see what other members of my team are doing, and it’s all in one easy place to see. Can add details very easily and quickly for an efficient schedule plan.

Cons

Took a while to figure out the filters without assistance, it wasn’t difficult though.