Sage Accounting Reviews

4.0/5
3.9/5

Andile
Andile

My professional side hustle enablers

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

Pros

Banking connections, this and the ease of allocation of transactions, I can track my spending habits and allocate my incomes with ease.Bookkeeping should not be hard and the solution makes sure it's a breeze.

Cons

I'm not sure it's this is a thing of the past... But I have multiple bank accounts linked and transfer between accounts can be be very complicated and you can easy duplicate transactions.I really don't like the idea of paying for add-ons such as cloud space. I think the more functionality required the more this can become expensive.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro, QuickBooks Online and Xero

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

I think pricing for basic bookkeeping functions, it's still the most reasonable.
Nicola

Sage Accounting Review

Reviewed on 18/03/2024

I highly recommend Sage to clients and friends.
Easy to use and great value.
I have a fantastic...

I highly recommend Sage to clients and friends.
Easy to use and great value.
I have a fantastic Account manager and I always get the help needed

Pros

It's easy to set up and train clients to use. Even someone with little technical experience can easily use once set up by a professional

Cons

Mobile app doesn't allow you to process as much as the online version

Just don't

Reviewed on 11/03/2019

I wanted to use Sage business accounting cloud for basic bookkeeping and I couldn't even do this....

My experience was of utter frustration. Not only with the lack of capabilities and difficulty in using the software but even worse, with their billing department. I was charged the wrong amounts every single month. Clients were charged for software that they didn't even use. Some clients were charged for software that I had already paid for. Nobody in accounts could fix it. Not even the directors were able to fix it. What an absolute disaster. I am absolutely at a loss as to how they are still in business.

Pros

The sage logo hinted that it may be similar to their line 50 product. Oh, how wrong I was.
There is quite literally nothing good I can say about this software, their customer support nor their accounts and billing team.,

Cons

It falls way short of functional. It couldn't be further behind the competition if they did nothing.
Essential features like repeating invoices were missing.
You can't pay with or receive into the director's loan account.
You are restricted in the number and type of bank/cash accounts you can have.
Fixing anything is a mammoth task
and even then, it doesn't actually fic the issues.

Allan

Simple to use Finance System

Reviewed on 06/02/2024

Pros

My usage was primary the reporting side (expenses were imported automatically) and it was great for tracking our teams spend vs budget each month

Cons

It took 24 hours to refresh the data, however that wasn't a sage issue, but our intergration

Sharon
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Long established accounting software

Reviewed on 18/03/2024

Pros

I have been using Sage accounting since the 90's It has been developed over the years to cope with the evolving times.

Cons

The latest cloud version has a limited capability compared with the desktop version, which is frustrating at times, but if you are new to using the comparison isn't there.

Casey
Casey
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Do not purchase

Reviewed on 26/11/2023

Horrible experience, hard to use, does not integrate, way over priced

Horrible experience, hard to use, does not integrate, way over priced

Pros

Nothing, hard to use, does not integrate with other programs

Cons

Everything. Worse product for accounting ever

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

Other employee wanted it said it was easy to use and she knew how, that was a lie
Angela
  • Industry: Entertainment

SAGE is a lifesaver, even for those of us who don't understand accounting!

Reviewed on 18/03/2024

Been really good. I have grown in confidence and it has helped me grow in confidence when I am reporting about our finances to the Trustees.

Pros

It's ease of use. I took the training and it showed me how to find and track things allowing me to easily check in on our finances.

Cons

I would like to be able to search using any word, even in the description when I am looking through purchase quick entires etc.

Simon

Sage for Small Business

Reviewed on 14/03/2024

Pros

Easy to use and well laid out allowing access to everything I need for the business.

Cons

Its a bit daunting at first with the sheer amount of information and setting up.

Noreen
  • Industry: Design

Great For Small Business Use

Reviewed on 25/03/2024

Easy set-up for our small business. Easy to use and allocate payments. Very helpful staff when we needed help.

Pros

Easy set-up and ease of use especially the allocation of banking process.

Cons

No cons-fulfils all of our business needs.

Sattisfied Customer

Reviewed on 28/03/2024

Extremely satisfied. Very useful guidance. Extremely helpful customer and IT support.

Pros

Easy to use, explanatory guidance very helpful.

Cons

No problems encountered yet. Very satisfied.

Andy

A good all round accounting product, good integration, but pricey as the users increase

Reviewed on 22/11/2022

We replaced Sage50 with Sage200, and also Sap B1 was migrated to Sage200, with the help of Sage partners at TN4 this was a relatively pain free migration in all cases, and they all worked well to meet our timescales and requirements, as well as helping us find other partners to integrate Sage200 with other related solutions such as barcode scanning, shipping, and MRP solutions that are not in Sage out of the box.

Pros

This software does everything a small, medium or relatively large sized business would need. The backend database is SQL server, so it's fast and well structured, and we found lots of modules and external products integrate well with it.

Cons

Implementation and training needed external consultants to do it at scale and at speed. The licence model is per user, so as soon as you start adding quite a few employees the cost of running the software gets rather pricey, though it's comparable to SAP B1 for example. We used our own servers to host the application and database, and although it's called "cloud" it's really not, but perhaps in the future.

SAP Business One

Reasons for Choosing Sage Accounting

Sage50 could no longer cope with the number of transactions due to its outdated database setup, and SAP B1 was migrated across when we acquired a business that used this but needed to be integrated.

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

We already had Sage 200 Business Cloud Accounting so it was logical to migrate everything into this, also SAP B1 was slightly more expensive.
Jason
Jason
  • Industry: Automotive

Cloud Accounting Package that is easy to use with limitations

Reviewed on 22/09/2021

Overall for our purposes the software is easy to setup and use. I like the ability to access it anywhere and the ability to attach documents to transactions in the system. Modifying the chart of accounts was easy but the lack of customization on the layout of financial statements is frustrating.

Pros

We have used the software version of sage products such as Sage Business Works and Sage 50 so the product and company are familiar to us. The ability to login to the software from anywhere and to no longer have to have client/server environment is great. The software was easy to signup for and was relatively easy to implement.

Cons

There are 2 large cons to this software in comparison to it's direct competitors.
Con #1: The package has no ability to custom group GL accounts. So for example, if you have a section on your income statement for sales and you want to group sales by category and have a sub-total for that sales section you cannot do that. There is really no ability to edit the income statement layout or the balance sheet layout to add in sections and sub totals so you are stuck with the canned version of the software.

Con #2: In an environment where you have multiple small companies, you look after you cannot have one userid and password to access all the companies. You have to setup each company with it's own userid an password then invite another user via an email link to join.

Reasons for Choosing Sage Accounting

We made the switch as we wanted to get away from a client/server based software solution and wanted a cloud based solution.

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

Our thought was to stay with the same company thinking that the transition would be easier and we had been happy with their other product offerings in the past. The user interface also was easy to understand and utilize in comparison to quick books an xero accounting as we were already familiar with how Sage products work overall.
Gustav
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

One of my best investments yet.

Reviewed on 06/05/2021

First of all i had no accounting software, no quoting and invoicing software. so this just makes my document presentation just that much more professional looking. also i only have to do the basic, and it does the rest for me.

Pros

As a non accounting person, i found this software to be just what the tax man ordered in terms of financial accountability features. it's so easy and and intuitive to use, i was able to get started on the first day and even issued a quote to a client.

Cons

well, i had trouble linking my business bank account to the software, but that could be the bank...

Reasons for Choosing Sage Accounting

Sage was cost effective and charges in local currency which makes it cheaper, whilst also offering more features.

YourTradebase

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

Sage has an incredible track record and support, plus it was cheaper.
Andre
  • Industry: Accounting

Sage is a very easy and powerfule accounting tool

Reviewed on 27/01/2022

Overall the experience is good. They can definitely work on their email support.

Pros

The ease of the setup and use of the software. It was written so that anyone can use it. Very simple, yet poewerful.

Cons

Some of the features that were advertised when pitched to us aren't available. The customer and supplier age analysis reports should have totals.

Reasons for Choosing Sage Accounting

We wanted to go cloud based

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

At that stage Xero did not have a lot of support in SA.
Alan

Possibly the best accounting software we've ever used

Reviewed on 09/11/2017

Using Sage One allowed us to combine our Accounts and Payroll systems into one. It makes it easy to manage our accounts from any location and on any device. It also removed the worry of backing up and securing our accounts records.

Pros

The fact that Sage One is cloud based, is probably the best feature. No more endless backups and annoying updates to perform. Everything is taken care of and the support team are amazing. It's also simple to grant access to your Accountant, who can then do whatever that need to when it's your year end etc.

A very clear interface provides an overview of your current situation and makes it easy for you to do your everyday tasks like entering and raising invoices, or checking who owes you money. You can easily produces account statements and everything can be emailed straight to your customers, so far less physical paperwork.

Cons

The Invoicing template choices are limited, but with a bit of creativity, you can definitely make something you can work with. The thing that needs the most attention is the method by which invoices and statements are emailed out. they appear to be from the email address you give the system, but are sent by Sage. Consequently, some clients weren't receiving their emails. We just turn any invoices into PDF's and email them ourselves. No big deal as we are still paperless, but it would be nice if we didn't have to. hopefully something that will be addressed on a future update.

Cathy
Cathy
  • Industry: Mining & Metals
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Simple to learn, gives you great data

Reviewed on 23/04/2020

I started a new job and I was up and running on invoicing at the end of the week, by week two I was able to post cash. It did take a little bit of time to familiarize myself the reports and with the general ledger. When I covered accounts payable it was also very intuitive. One of the most intuitive computer systems I have worked with ever.

Pros

The company I got a job with a few years ago used Sage, I was apprehensive about learning a new computer system but Sage was easy. It was intuitive if you have a little experience and accounting knowledge. It gives very great reports and gives you a lot of basic detail. I like.the fact that you can drill down to give various information.

Cons

There were a few times that I wish there was an online help to explain a few questions. There are a lot of reports and I feel like you may have to look at several reports to pull some advanced details.

Michelle
Michelle

Sage Business Cloud Accounting

Reviewed on 07/10/2020

Sage Business Cloud Accounting is easy to use, features are easy to access. Reporting for several different ranges of time-table very handy. No installation, no backup...very nice product to use!

Pros

Sage Business Cloud Accounting has all the features one would need from Accounting software. Easy to implement, do the setup, and train new Customers on how to use it. The add-on modules adds value to the software. The Accountant's easy access to assist Clients is a wonderful feature!

Cons

One improvement I would like to see:
When adding a new Item from inside the Invoice screen, the new Item screen should include all features (such as selecting the Purchase account). Currently you have to exit the Invoice, create the new Item, and then continue with your Invoice

Martin
  • Industry: Accounting

I have the full confidence in this product

Reviewed on 08/02/2021

Excellent - they started a bit behind functionality wise from other products, and are now moving ahead of them, and I like the committment to constant development and the transparancy of their roadmap.

Pros

It is intuitive, and my non-accountant clients can usually navigate their way around it themselves, and only occassionally require minimal support.

My clients who have switch from other software have said that they wouldn't go back.

Cons

The marketing for this product is not as flashy as competitors, and so sometimes it can be a hard sell to clients who want the one with the big ad campaign.

As with most cloud products it is constantly evolving and I am not always aware of the new features which come out.

Johan

Very slow system when items is above a 1000. We are on 100meg lines and Sage Accounting is...

Reviewed on 25/06/2018

It's just a basic accounting software.

It's just a basic accounting software.

Pros

The software is easy to use. But it it can be 10 times better if the right coders and designers is employed. Price, it is not the cheapest in the market but again African companies like their money and labour is expensive in South Africa. The system is slow as said when when you have more than a 1000 entries or stock items. Export function lacks functionality as only basic stuff can be exported. Compared to other software in the world....There is much better software in the market!

Cons

Speed, the software is very slow for an online system. It lacks functionality. The price per user is expensive. The software also doesn't have a lot of 3rd party integrations. When it comes to e-commerce it integrates with a few shopping carts but the integration is very basic.

Terry
Terry
  • Industry: Photography

A very simple online accounting system

Reviewed on 06/11/2017

The ability to connect my bank accounts is great and a real time saver.

The ability to connect my bank accounts is great and a real time saver.

Pros

The fact that this is online and can be accessed from any device is a real pleasure. It means as a sole trader that I can enter receipts while I'm on the go or at home when I have a spare few minutes. I know sage was late to the party for online accounting systems but they have managed to make a simple system and one that starts cheaper than the competitors.

The second main feature for me was the ability to automatically connect to my bank accounts and match my transactions as this saves no end of time and is all included in the monthly price.

They also have a feature which allows you download your transaction in a CSV file as well, if you wanted to move them to another system.

Cons

It's not as customisable as the desktop version was but once you get over that hurdle and change your way of thinking and acting then you realise they had a reason for making it so simple.

Caroline
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Appalling Customer Service

Reviewed on 29/05/2018

I phoned and chatted online with Sage One (Sage Business Cloud?) customer service technical support 8 days ago over an issue and have also emailed them every working day since and they just keep telling me that they have logged the issue and it has been passed to their Development Team. In the meantime I can't send invoices. What's the point in offering 24/7 customer support if they just log the issue and make you wait over a week for a fix?

Pros

Good interaction with payroll and Pension software, banking etc. Easy to use. Can use from any pc.

Cons

Long list of minor but annoying issues, like it does not accommodate UK net monthly account customers/suppliers, the default dates on functions only show the current month. The only way to avoid the contact name appearing on the invoice address is to put a full stop in the contact name box (so the first line of every invoice is a full stop). Product list doesn't section so you can't add a percentage to one customer or one type of product. Appalling customer service for technical problems.

Melanie

SAGE BUSINESS CLOUD ACCOUNTING

Reviewed on 08/10/2020

Definitely the way for the future just love to work on this platform. All new clients advised to use Sage Business Cloud Accounting. The package can grow with the company from start up.

Pros

The fact that is cloud base and accessible from anywhere as long as you have internet access. There are apps available to download onto mobile devices. The product is user friendly with guidance on how to use features.

Download bank statements and map the expenses to save lots of time in the future.

Cons

It is sometimes slow depending on internet speed and take a while to download bank statements.

Tarryn
  • Industry: Accounting

Good solution for the small business owner

Reviewed on 13/05/2019

Pros

It is fairly easy to use. It provides the basic needs of small business owners. Helps me with their tax prep needs

Cons

Navigation through the product isn't seamless

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

I was familiar from my corporate life
Karen

Almost has 100% of what we need as a growing business

Reviewed on 30/01/2018

Compliance, ability to integrate different aspects of financial company data.

Compliance, ability to integrate different aspects of financial company data.

Pros

User-friendly interface. Good dashboard view.
Collaboration with external agencies - HMRC, our accountant & book-keeper.
Functionality has increased alongside our needs as a growing business.
Cost-effective
Excellent customer support

Cons

No trace-ability of emails sent - only a Yes or No view of whether emails (invoices) have been sent.
Cannot export XL data to our Pension portal (Big booooo for the Sageone!)
No auto-generation of a reference number for purchases like there is sales?! This causes us issues!!
Only 1 user allowed to access Payroll platform for our subscription

Darren

Brilliant program to support non profits

Reviewed on 24/07/2023

Excellent program, knowledgeable staff and easy to use

Excellent program, knowledgeable staff and easy to use

Pros

Very easy to navigate system. Clear to understand and easy to run reports and reconcile bank account.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of as all relevant and easy to use

Reasons for Switching to Sage Accounting

Recommended by others and had used before.