Paymo

4.6/5
4.7/5

414 Software options

Joanne H.

Can't live without it now.

Reviewed on 10/08/2021

Really pleased with customer support!

Pros

I've always done freelance work and tried to track my time on Excel. No more. I love being able to track my time to the minute on projects and tasks with Paymo, then have those timesheets translate automatically into invoices which I can then send directly to my clients. Also helps me see what I'm spending my time on. Although I've barely scratched the surface of its functionality, it's become a necessity (and a luxury) now that I've gone full-time freelance.

Cons

I'd like to be able to drag-and-drop tasks, projects, etc. (if only because I may have set them up incorrectly in the first place). That's not available yet.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Paymo

The option to track my time with a click is amazing.

Response from Paymo

You GO, Joanne!

If you want to move already existing tasks from one project to another, you have this option: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/article/can-i-move-tasks-to-another-project-1gtfxl4/

We've also redesigned the task area so you can access the full task details by just clicking on a task :D

We hope you like it!

Krystle chanel K.

I finally found the one!

Reviewed on 26/06/2020

It is important to note that Paymo isn't idle in enhancing its software. Not only that, but new features are thoughtful and integrated seamlessly with the tool. I appreciate this because I have used other software that seem to have their priorities mixed up when releasing enhancements; adding things that don't move the needle ahead of things that do.

Pros

After years of using project management software for both myself and companies I've worked for, I found the right tool for the job for my personal, small business as a marketing coach and online entrepreneur.

Until I build a team, I'm using Paymo for myself, and other tools are not always price-sensitive for a solo user. I appreciate that Paymo provides an option to pay for one user until I'm ready to grow.

A particular feature I was looking for was the option to view all projects on a single Kanban board. In the rare case that I found this option, it was a significant upgrade to acquire. But Paymo offers this and it's super easy to use!

Other features I love:
- Time-tracking/timesheet: Visual representation of where my time goes. I use the in-app timer every day.
- Flexible viewing options: I can easily switch between list, table, board, and Gantt views, with easy to use filters that allow me to see exactly what I want. No custom reports or views need created - which can be time-consuming and inflexible (enterprise tools).
- Note: The user experience of the Gantt chart was also what I was looking for. It is drag and drop and allows you to adjust your timeline from within the view.

There's so much to love about Paymo! And that is saying a lot coming from someone who has researched and used as many tools as I have - including enterprise solution, Workfront.

Paymo is definitely worth giving a try!

Cons

I wish there was a way to invite collaborators/reviewers like there is in Asana. If I want a coaching client to be able to collaborate, there is no way to do this without paying for another user.
This is superficial, but, the name! When I tell people about Paymo, they immediately think it's a financial tool, not a project management tool, based on the name. I would hate for this to hold Paymo back in the market.

Reasons for Choosing Paymo

I switched from Asana, Teamwork, and Things. I was looking for a tool with a kanban board option that allowed me to view tasks across all of my projects and I needed a cost-effective tool for someone who is currently solo but building a business. Asana was cost-prohibitive in that I could not pay for a single user, but had to pay for 5 minimum. Also, the kanban board option I was looking for was an additional upgrade for Asana and Teamwork, making these options even more expensive. Additionally, user experience was a factor. Asana generally has a good UI but I just like Paymo better. Teamwork has some work to do in this regard.

Asana

Response from Paymo

You sure did your researh, Krystle, thank you for the review :)

Actually, we're working on an improved client portal with in-app access to guest users, so they can collaborate with you on the same page. This is our #1 priority atm, so stay tuned!

As for our name, this goes back more than 10 years when we started out as a time tracking and billing tool. The purpose was to use the app and GET PAID MORE, hence Paymo :)

Hope this helps, thank you again!

Jonathan S.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Impressed

Reviewed on 17/06/2020

Overall I have been really impressed with Paymo, it has merged many of the tools I would often have to use seperate services for and that alone is a massive time & cost saver. Support has been excellent in the few times I have had to contact them, & I have enjoyed implementing the service as the hub for my project management needs. I look forward to the updates the Paymo team bring in the future.

Pros

The biggest selling point for me was the project management facility alongside the app & timer for time tracking. Prior to this I had used a mix of Toggl + Trello, then when I moved to Quickbooks TSheets + Trello + Quickbooks.

Switching to Paymo streamlined this so that I could do all the project management and time tracking in one suite. Quickbooks integration was a necessity also considering all my finances have been handled there too.

Support has been excellent as well, tickets are resolved quickly and always someone available to give a helping hand or to receive feedback.

Cons

The biggest con was actually a feature I asked about before signing up for a subscription. At present the task management boards have no guest access facility. This was a feature I was really looking for as previously I used Trello to share proofs & receive feedback from clients. Having contacted support they have informed me that this feature is on the roadmap and undergoing testing, so hopefully will arrive in the not too distant future.

The web application could also benefit from more keyboard shortcuts as well. This is something I miss from Trello that was incredibly useful, but will mention to support as a feature request, alongside a dark mode or more options for theming the application. (There are chrome extensions that can partially cover this, but native support would be even more appreciated).

Asana and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Paymo

I found TSheets as a time tracker cumbersome, as it was really built around a larger workforce. It also lacked the project management features that Paymo offered, so had to rely on Trello to cover that.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Switching to Paymo

I felt it was better value for my needs, and offered the integrated Quick-books facilities that were necessary to replace TSheets.

Response from Paymo

Happy to hear that we streamline not just time tracking, but invoicing (including the QB integration)!

Indeed, the client portal with in-app access to guest users is our #1 priority. It's a large task, with a lot of implications, so we're making sure to check all the community's needs :)

Shortcuts will be more frequent too.

Kind regards,

Savannah S.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Best All-around Project Management APP

Reviewed on 17/06/2020

Before Paymo, our office lived off of legal notepads and envelope folders. It was a nightmare. With Paymo, we can just type in a project name or client and see exactly what's due, needs to be invoiced, etc. A huge problem solver for us is the record keeping aspect. Since we can attach notes and files to projects, we are easily able to identify a change request. It was all to often a client would blame us for making a change to a project they did not request, but now we have proof every step of the way. It's been a life-saver.

Pros

After testing dozens of other project management programs, we finally found Paymo and have never turned back. Paymo is intuitive; we needed no training and were able to implement it right away with all our employees in the office. The app is web-based so we are able to access our projects and tasks wherever we need to. This was especially helpful during the 2020 Covid Quarantine wherein our whole office had to work from individual homes.
Paymo organizes all of our projects with tasks, clients, and billing. They even now have the ability to export invoices directly from paymo to Quickbooks or Xero, so we have all we need and less double working to get invoices sent out. The projects are customizable with task lists, templates, and custom project statuses so it's easy to see where each project currently stands. The time-tracking function is amazing! Many of our projects are billed by time, so that was a must have feature that Paymo does flawlessly.
Everyday we enter the office, the first thing that boots up is Paymo and every team member immediately sees their assigned tasks for the day and the following, so there is no wasted time to find assignments. For project managers, the current worked on projects are just a screen away so we know exactly what is being worked on at any given moment no matter where teams are. They are also the best customer service team we've seen so far. When we have technical issue, we can send a message right from the app and get a response fast.

Cons

The only item we are dissapointed in is the scheduling. Our teams works on fast tasks that sometimes need to be scheduled down the hour of day. There is a scheduling calendar that lets you see all assigned tasks but it requires and extra step to actual "book" the tasks in order to move them around on that calendar and see remaining work hours when needed. This is our number one obstacle BUT we have been informed there is a major updated coming that will fix this and we are very excited! Another very small thing that we don't like about paymo is the notification setting that cant be changed. Paymo is great about in-app notifications, it's helpful to see updates in real-time right at the top of the screen. But the issue is for project managers. If someone other than the project manager creates a task for a team-member, than the project manager will not receive notifications if said task was completed regardless of being assigned as a manager of the project. However, we feel we can work around it temporarily until it can be fixed. So overall, with those two items aside Paymo is the best program out there and much more affordable than many we tested out before.

Reasons for Switching to Paymo

Ease of use and implementation. Ability to use with our business style. Price. Export abilities with quickbooks. Customization. Project task visibility. Paymo made making and seeing tasks easy, so nothing gets left behind or forgotten. Contact option. Many other programs could organize projects but wouldn't have clients organization or billing. Paymo has is all, so we only need this one program.

Response from Paymo

Thank you Savannah for taking the time to review us :)

Indeed, I remember we spoke already about the new team scheduling update, which will allow you to schedule bookings at a task level - stay tuned.

As for the user rights, these will suffer some changes with the addition of the client portal with in-app access to guest users. Please make sure to also voice this out on our community forum: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/in-progress-client-portal-collaboration/67/51

Thank you again!

Luc C.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Using it since 2016 and every update makes me happier

Reviewed on 17/06/2020

It works, never failed me. Questions with support are always quickly answered and they're very helpful.

Pros

I've been using this product since 2016 and did so in several ways. Every time an update is implemented it's surprises me on it's effectiveness. It just keeps running smoother and smoother. Besides that the tools in the app are nicely designed an clearly structured i like the (multiple) supporting apps to track time very useful. Also nicely integrated with other apps through API. It's just a great product.

Cons

I'm finding more and more ways to implement other workflows in there. My Getting things done method and trello (kanban) are easy to implement. Maybe a notetaking system to implement Zettelkasten (knowledgebase) in there aswell.

Response from Paymo

Thank you, Luc, for your kind words :)

Please upvote this feature request on notes on our community forum to get more traction: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/wiki-or-notes-for-each-project/722

Liviu B.

Best Project Management Solution

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

It is really easy to keep track of all the work that has been done. I'm not sure if it's generally the best project management software out there, but it definitely is the best for our company and our business model.

Pros

In the beginning it was just a software that we could use to time track all our tasks and projects, but it grew on us and right now our business depends on it. It is really easy to use, very easy to keep an eye on the team, and extremely useful in keeping track of all the work that the team does.

Cons

There are not many cons to this software, but if I had to nitpick I would probably say it could have more financial management features, since this is the software that we use for invoicing and keeping track of our finances.

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Paymo

It has better features that help our business.

Response from Paymo

Hi Liviu,

Kudos for your trust in us :)

Would you mind telling us what additional financial management features do you want to see come to light?

I'm asking since we're going to revamp the whole invoicing module, so it's best to submit your use case and suggestions on our community forum: https://community.paymoapp.com/

Thank you!

Matt F.

Best Time Tracking & Management Software

Reviewed on 01/05/2020

I've tried multiple time and task management products. Paymo has by far the best feature set for the price. It's not to complicated & the support is great. You get a task board, a solid UI, a great calendar that displays when tasks were done & it allows you to easily adjust those entries. By far my favorite tool for tracking tasks across multiple clients & the time spent.

Pros

Quick & easy to get started & great support. Managing tasks & time is awesome with Paymo. I am a huge fan of the calendar views. They have a great set of filters & tweaks you can make to the views. They also offer a great kanban board.

Cons

Invoices could be improved a bit but they're ok. I do need to spend some time learning more about how to build invoices with Paymo.

Response from Paymo

Appreciate the support, Matt! :)

We've just launched the possibility to copy/paste a time entry inside the Timesheets area - be sure to check it out.

Btw: a new, task calendar view it's on its way soon, so stay tuned!!

As for the invoicing part, you can turn your timesheet data into an invoice or create one from scratch in multiple languages. Read our help page for a step-by-step guide: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/collections/34542-invoices

Or write us at [email protected]

Alison P.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Paymo pays for itself...

Reviewed on 23/06/2015

As a very small business - there are only the two of us - I needed a way to accurately track the time we were spending on client projects. Paymo does that for us in a very straightforward way, and the click-and-create reports mean that I can see the information I need for invoicing and get an overview of how we're working through the agreed hours very easily. Not only is our invoicing more accurate - nearly all our monthly invoices have increased as we're not forgetting the odd half-hour here and there - but I also have the answers to the 'what were we doing all day' questions when we spent time on non-chargeable tasks and I'm able to keep a better track of those tasks, too. (I don't use Paymo's invoicing facility - it seem straightforward enough, but I want to do all my accounting in one application to simplify the VAT process.)

Pros

Support is fantastic - I have only had to ask for help a couple of times, but when I do the built-in online help facility means I get an answer very quickly, using language I understand.

The other thing that is great is the flexibility of the reporting module. One of my clients likes to see how we're using up the agreed project hours as we go through, so I have created a report just for him and given him the link. He's happy to be getting the information he needs to plan without my having to spend time getting it for him.

Cons

Most of the things that were on my wish list have been incorporated into recent releases. The only one I would still like would be the ability to share reports within the company - at the moment, I do a screenshot of the configuration and my employee copies it. It's not a huge issue, but it would be useful to be able to have personal and shared (company-wide) reports.

Howard R.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

First Class Application for Electronic Engineering Consulting Business

Reviewed on 24/08/2021

Top notch with excellent and very responsive customer service (technical and general queries)

Pros

We have been using Paymo for more than 10 years in our electronic engineering consulting business.

We love the way we can set up multiple projects with multiple tasks per project and track time per project and task, and then use the invoicing system to invoice our clients. We often work on multiple projects simultaneously and without it we would not be able to work as effectively or track our time as accurately.

It also allows us to analyze our effectiveness and enables us to more accurately quote on future projects.

Intuitive interface and easy to use

Cons

We have no negative comments about Paymo

Response from Paymo

Thank you Howard for all your support over the years!!

*crying internally of joy*

Danielle S.

Great Product Must Have

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

Being able to track the hours and what project goes to which client has been so helpful.

Pros

As a graphic designer who needs to keep track of hours, I have always been able to depend on Paymo to keep accurate track of my time. Being able to send the data to my clients is a plus.

Cons

I had some issues with the desktop app so I started using it directory from the site to track time.

Response from Paymo

Hey Danielle,

Glad that we can help you with time tracking

The desktop widget is stable, you can go ahead and download the latest version here: https://www.paymoapp.com/downloads-and-integrations/

Good news, the web timer is going to be updated as well - so stay tuned!

Steve P.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Excellent time recording / analysis tool that has always been good, and is still getting...

Reviewed on 06/09/2017

Great visibility of where time is being spent, including analysis of time write-offs, job profitability and staff productivity levels.

Pros

Paymo is easy to use in configuration, time recording and reporting. It's a great solution for scheduling and recording staff and subcontractor time.

Cons

Paymo is attempting to make the transition from a time recording utility to a full-blown project management tool. In this regard it has a way to go, so it's sort of caught in the middle at the moment. I've made a couple of attempts to work with the auto-time recorder, but have given up each time (but that's possibly more related to the fragmented nature of my work - your mileage may vary.

Justyna L.

Very good tool

Reviewed on 12/04/2021

Pros

It's very intuitive, consists all features we need for daily work. It's easy to use for ours many freelancers. We can keep all project information in one place and Paymo is very clear in design. The customer care has very individual approach.

Cons

We work with many freelancers, who only use it for log their hours and they do it few times per month. I wish it was some smaller plan when you use just one or features.

Response from Paymo

Hi Justyna,

Thank you so much for the kind words! >:D<

As for the coming and going freelancers, don't forget that you're only paying for the # of active users. This means that whenever someone leaves, you can downgrade the subscription and we'll credit your Paymo account the next billing cycle :)

Grant J.

Great value for money

Reviewed on 19/06/2020

We required a platform that was easy adoptable and scale as our business grew.

Pros

Ease of use and adoption of application in our organization.

Cons

Customizable analytic reports such as Power Bi

Response from Paymo

Appreciate the review, Grant!

We already have ready-available analytics, although they're not customizable: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/collections/1792050-analytics

Can you give us more details about the customizabile analytics reports under our community forum: https://community.paymoapp.com/

This helps us a lot. Thank you again!

Simple and powerful project management

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

Overall this is a nice and simple project and time management system. As it provides free plans for a freelancer I can use it for my own projects. I recommended it.

Pros

Google signup is more secure than traditional login system as they don't use any kind of password and google work as an auth server.
Setup is straight forward and simple. As paymo also support kanban boards I want to check them out, Tha additional time tracking is really a good and nice option. It helps me remove all the time tracking applications that I am currently using.
1 user for the free plan is great but sometimes I need the 2-3 user to help me with one projects, then I have to use trello as it supports multi-user for the free plan.
I GB storage is decent as I don't use storage here.

Cons

I didn't find any problem but the manual time should use dropdown and 5 min interval.

Response from Paymo

Hi there,

We're currently working at an imrpoved client protal with in-app access to guest users, so that will solve your issue with external collaborators.

Manual time does have dropdown intervals ranging from 5 to 30 min, check them here: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/888731-how-can-i-add-time-manually

Thank you!

Mauricio M.

A must for freelancers

Reviewed on 16/06/2020

Pros

Perfect to control tasks and project to the detail, easy to read dashboard and graphs

Cons

Email notifications customization to clients, wish I could send from my own domain instead of the paymo notifications

Response from Paymo

We're working on a client portal with in-app access for guest users, we'll see how notifications work under this new context.

You can also write us more on this topic at [email protected]

Cheers,
Marcel

A software that makes my life easy

Reviewed on 06/04/2016

I was for a long time looking for a software that will help me to have my business organized to be able to worry about my work and don´t spend time managing invoices and tasks. I've tried a lot of solutions and always found something wrong, fundamentally I wanted something simple and that would allow me to automate some tasks; with paymo I found it.

Pros

- the invoices addon is easy to use - allow me to customize the number of invoices according to my accounting
- allows me to set a date of expiration to the invoices and sends emails automatically to my clients if the invoice is not paid. Repeating these reminders every x days
- you can add a link to pay the invoices so that the customer can pay them through paypal, stripe, etc.
- you can create automatically recurring invoices every month
- you can ask for invoices to be sent automatically or do it manually.

Cons

There is only one thing that i would like to add to paymo. It´s the possiblity to customize the name of the invoice files with a format that i can choose

Hugo F.
  • Industry: Online Media

Perfect!

Reviewed on 17/06/2020

Planing my project task with very usability and controll my team jpbs perfect well.

Pros

I can know How much coast developer wich project in my agency.

Cons

The price is to much for brazil and I think is need some another price.

Response from Paymo

Hi Hugo,

Thank you for the feedback. Please write us at [email protected] about your inquiry.

Prices are in $USD (even though we're from Europe). Will evaluate if we can add multi-currency in the future.

Until then, please post this feature request on our forum: https://community.paymoapp.com/

Obrigado!!

• Industry: Media Production

Task and project management software.

Reviewed on 30/05/2019

Pros

Paymo has all the basic feature for a freelancer, and for free. I am really surprised when I saw plan comparison and found it is free for freelancer.
A todo list, time tracking and projects management. I am very impressed with the modern and sleek look of.
Client management and invoice reporting is a bit complex. Reports help me to pinpoint the wastage time and solve this for my next projects. But the best feature for reporting is, sharing my work reports with a client so they can review and approve my payment soon.
The timesheet helps me to create an effective time table for the day.

Cons

The task searching is not accurate, let's say I want to search for all my drone shooting, but it is not possible. I have to select and take a note for every task manually which is time-consuming and defeat the whole purpose.

Response from Paymo

Hey there,

We're aware of the search problem and have decided to launch a new search experience from scratch that remembers filters and so on.

So stay tuned!

Andrew W.

Paymo - From a freelance designer's view

Reviewed on 14/01/2016

I've recently set up as a 3D designer working from home. As an arty designer type I really do not like the whole "paperwork, TAX, invoices, accounting" side of things but I realise that keeping that all in order is imperative to the smooth running of a business. I also need a good, quick and simple project management system. Paymo has fulfilled everything I could have wanted with my business. The less time I'm spending on the admin side of things the more money I can get paid for doing actual design work. I can't think of a better, more simple way of getting things done than Paymo.

Pros

Super simple. Does pretty much everything that you need to get done with the minimum of fuss. The mobile app is an added bonus for logging time whilst not at your computer. The way everything seamlessly ties in from timesheet to invoice, etc. One of the most important things to consider is the online support. With Paymo it is excellent, less than an hour usually and you have a reply - I can't stress the value of this side of things enough.

Cons

I had a slight issue with different clients within one company needing to be billed on the same job (2D work and 3D work). This isn't as simple as I'd hoped BUT there was an easy workaround.

Expenses cannot be imported from Shoeboxed - but that's quite a specialist requirement.

What an amazing business/admin/accounting/time tracker/CRM/project management app!

Reviewed on 26/06/2018

SO much time saved, I got so many insights, my time is invoiced, my payments are being tracked, my life's got easier and my business more organized.

Pros

- Being able to log the time and invoice clients in literally a click for the time logged for their project, for the specified rate based on flat fee, hourly rate by the company, user, or project
- Multi currency supported
- You can use Payoneer in addition to PayPal as a payment gateway
- Customer support is more than awesome, they're amazing!
- There's a community forum where we post ideas and improvement suggestions which are actually heard and worked on
- Client area supported so that the clients can also see their invoices and time sheets in real time any time :)

Cons

- Recurring tasks are not supported;
- No emoticons xD
- No sub-tasks
- Payoneer button for online payments looks very basic, it doesn't look like a button

Response from Paymo

Hi there, We've just added subtasks. You can find them in the Full Task Details view. Hope you'll enjoy them!

Bart Z.

Easy yet powerfull with awesome UX

Reviewed on 28/06/2016

We have tried many different PM tools but Paymo finally helped us to systematize our workflow. The best thing thought is that it also helps to keep your budgets in a good shape an control cashflow. It has great interaction design, awesome support Great tool!

Pros

Biggest advantage for me is budgeting features.
Cool UX/interaction
Easyness
Even lazy team members are using it

Cons

Can't add external stakeholders/clients. You have to pay for every user

Response from Paymo

Thank you for the review Bart! We're glad that everyone on your team likes the app.
In the future we're planning to improve the client portal, which will give clients access to more info (free of charge :)

Marco D.

Great tool to merge time tracking and task management

Reviewed on 27/02/2020

Pros

we came from two software: one for time tracking and one for task management. With Paymo we have merged the two things so we can manage better our business.

Cons

there are some little things that can be improved. For e.g. rapid inline task creation like todoist.

Response from Paymo

Hi Marco,

Thank you for your thoughts! We do have in-line task creation, are you talking about speed in particular?

If yes, please write us at [email protected]

Andrew R.
  • Industry: Research

Paymo Review

Reviewed on 02/07/2019

I have enjoyed it very much

Pros

It is very easy to use and user friendly.

Cons

Nothing I can find is bad about it, it is a very good product.

Response from Paymo

Thank you for the kind words, Andrew.

Alex D.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Great for solo freelancers and small teams

Reviewed on 27/08/2018

Paymo has been a great and worthwhile investment for my freelance business. It does the job that I would typically need multiple tools to accomplish. And it does the job very well.

Pros

I like that I can use this tool to track my time, handle estimates and invoices, as well as project/task management. Every tool is synced with each other, allowing you to do things such as create time reports and invoices based on the time you have entered into the tracker.

Cons

The invoicing feature separates everything in the time tracking tool by project/client. I personally would prefer if I could automatically pull invoices for multiple clients/projects but bill one client, because I do contract work for many clients, but bill my contractor. This is not likely how many people would use the tool, but I do wish it had that option for myself.

Andres A.

Best Project Management/Invoicing/Time Tracking app for Freelancers!

Reviewed on 15/11/2017

I am so much more organized now and can focus a lot better on my work!

Pros

I have everything I need in one app that is feature rich, but at the same time really easy to use. I go from sending estimates, to setting up projects, tasks, time tracking and billing (it is even integrated with Payoneer, so my clients pay me directly from the invoice!). I tried and tested and was using 3 apps to get all I needed done before I found Paymo. Now it's only one tab on my browser!

Cons

Nothing really, been using it for months and the more I use it, the more I like it! Whenever I need to do something different or new, setting a different hourly rate for a particular project or task, edit the timesheets, mark an invoice that wasn't paid online as paid, or send reminders, everything is just there with such a great UI.