Skyward Student Management Suite Reviews

Skyward Student Management Suite

Software for managing school operations, students, and staff

4.1/5
4.2/5
3.9/5
4.1/5

• Industry: Online Media

Convenient student report access!

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Very good. I'm up to date on my child's progress on a daily basis.

Very good. I'm up to date on my child's progress on a daily basis.

Pros

This is a fantastic way to keep abreast of your child's grades with individual test breakups and overall grade average with the allowance for teachers to add notes for the parents if needed. Also provides a way to email and contact the teacher.

Cons

There's nothing I don't like about the software. Overall great communication tool between a teacher and student's parents.

Barb

One stop shop for your student educational needs

Reviewed on 28/02/2022

The best feature to me is that everything is in one place! Having multiple systems to manage makes data tracking much more difficult. One system, Skyward, allows our district the ability to have our student data more readily available.

Pros

I have been using Skyward Student Information System for the past 25 years. We have slowly added other features to our portfolio. The Student Services system has worked well for assistance with IEPs for our special education students. Having the ability to track information for due dates, form status, etc. has been wonderful. The ability to have it tied to the student database is terrific because if a family moves, the addresses are automatically reflected in the special education areas. We have use the Enrollment feature for the past 5 years now and it has saved countless hours for staff by allowing them to verify information, instead of having to decipher information and enter it into the system. Parents are able to enroll at any time of the day because it is completed through our website, and doesn't require the family having to find the time to come to the school to enroll. Food Service allows a wanding message to be added for those that have allergies or other health issues, which assists the workers when the students come through the line. With Fee Management and Food Service, parents are able to pay fees or add money to their food service account through Family Access. There are many great features about this product and we are very pleased with the product.

Cons

The 504 Accommodation Plan area is a little cumbersome and doesn't flow quite as nicely as the special education model does, but there are not as clear cut state requirements so product development does not work the same.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the positive review Barb, and for being such a strong advocate for Skyward. We love hearing from all of our customers, but it's especially great when comments come from long-time customers like you!

Anthony
  • Industry: Think Tanks

Piece of Crap

Reviewed on 10/02/2021

I am so glad that my child is a senior this year and I will never have to deal with this substandard software package again!

Pros

That I can check my childs grades when I can get into the system

Cons

Every other month I am being told on the app that my password expired and to use a desktop to reset my password. I go to my desktop and it tells me my password is no good to the point where I get locked out. Then I have to contact my school and have them send me a new password reset link. I never saw a software package that didn't give the users the option of selecting "Forgot Password" or "Reset Password" feature. The company says this is for security while they don't even have an option for two factor authentication. How about bringing your code out of the 1900's and creating an option where a school doesn't need 2500 parents contacting them every time they need to change the password!

Response from Skyward

Anthony, we can certainly understand your frustration regarding the password issues. Skyward allows a district to configure security options including several for resetting a user's password and the duration before a password expires.
If you're experiencing issues with your account, we encourage you to reach out to your district. If they need assistance, they can reach out to Skyward Customer Care and Support, and we'd be glad to help.
We are working on adding multi-factor authentication to an upcoming update. This will be configurable at each district.

Carlos
Carlos

Skyward School Management Review

Reviewed on 06/02/2020

Skyward is a fantastic program and quite simply I cannot imagine doing my job without it. It helps with decision making both at the school and admin level, giving decision-makers the data they need to get the job done.

Pros

*Skyward has an excellent report making system and it's practically limited by the creativity of the user. I have not experienced a case where there was not a report created for something I needed. Best of all reports can be shared by other users and you can learn a lot by how others use their reports.

*Improve business process agility.

*Enhanced decision making.

*Surprisingly easy to teach.

Cons

Skyward has a very high learning curve. I would not recommend someone start using it without at least a couple of hours of training. I received 10 before starting it on the job and that was just scratching the surface. It's a complex program and users should be adequately trained for it. Managers need to know that it's not something can be self-taught. There are training manuals for it but it's best learned when trained by experience users.

Response from Skyward

Thank you for the great comments Carlos. We hear from a lot of customers who share your views on the value of our reports. As for the learning curve, we agree that training is critical to getting the most from Skyward and many customers tell us the investment they made in PD made their move to Skyward much smoother.

Signe
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Easy to track students' grades

Reviewed on 07/05/2021

Skyward makes it very easy for parents to oversee their children's attendance and grades, access their schedules, receive announcements from the school, etc. It's a wonderful portal that helps parents to monitor their kids' education and take proactive steps to stay involved.

Pros

Skyward makes it easy for parents to track their kids' attendance and grades. This has been especially important during the pandemic because the kids have been learning from home for more than a year. When my stepdaughter started slacking off and not logging in to her synchronous classes, we found out very quickly by tracking her attendance through Skyward. This allowed us to address the issue right away, before she missed tons of class and fell really far behind. Similarly, it is easy to see the kids' grades. I know right away if assignments are missing, if they turn in incomplete work, or if they don't do well on a project/test/homework. That way, we can work with them to improve their grades right away rather than waiting until they've fallen so far behind that they can't bring their grades up.

Cons

It isn't always intuitive to use. When you click on "Gradebook," you get an error message that says "Not available when viewing all students." The first time I logged in, I had a hard time figuring out how to view the kids' grades. The menu to select a specific student is hidden at the top of the screen, whereas all the other menus are on the left. It took me forever to find it. Once you figure it out, it's easy -- but the first time, I struggled when trying to access grades.

Response from Skyward

Thank you for your feedback on how Skyward is helping you navigate your stepdaughter's academic progress throughout the pandemic.

William

Skyward Review

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

My overall experience with Skyward has been positive. It is a great tool to enter the students's grades. It is also an easy form to communicate with mass amounts of students and their parents (group emails, etc.). Also the academic feedback it provides is very helpful.

Pros

I love the ease in being able to create categories and assignments with this software.

Cons

There are some glitches in the software. For example, in regards to attendance, it is hard for us teachers to adjust the attendance after they have been entered as absent in first period, but they show up later in third period. If they are at school during second period, but are "tardy" to third period, I can't enter their tardy to that particular period because initially they were counted as absent by their first period teacher. This can be problematic at times. The only person at our school that can adjust this would be the secretary. Although this does not happen often, it is a glitch that should be looked into.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the review William. So good to see Skyward is helping to make your life easier. I'll be sure to pass along your comment regarding attendance to our product management team.

Jacque
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Long-Time User

Reviewed on 16/01/2017

I have used Skyward for many years, so I have seen it evolve. I will tell you this; you get what you pay for. Skyward is top-of-the-line! It will not always be the least expensive software, but it is more than worth the cost!! The software definitely helps customers work smarter not harder. With many of us wearing different hats, we need to find all of the time-saving opportunities we can; Skyward makes that happen! Skyward has many ways to get to the same information, so the ease of use is really in the end-user's hands. There is a plethora of shortcuts that Skyward has provided for the end-user, so no need to get bogged down trying to find programs/areas. Their Customer Service is top-notch. I have never had an issue that was not solved in a timely manner. They are wonderful! I could go on and on where Skyward is concerned. I not only love the software, but I like that the fact that Cliff King and the entire company has a focus on nothing but schools. They are truly concerned about the customer feedback, and they use that to make the software better (although I think it's pretty close to perfect now)!

Pros

The flexibility and multiple ways to achieve the end results we are looking for.

Cons

None!

Response from Skyward

Thanks so much for the kind words, Jacque, and congratulations on your well-deserved recognition as a Leader in Excellence for 2017!

Keith

East Allen County Schools, Indiana Skyward Qmlative Review

Reviewed on 19/10/2022

Excellent 2.5 years in. Good training, good support, great tool, and it does everything we need the SIS to do.

Pros

Skyward does a good job of meeting teachers needs, making grading and attendance easy, and simply making teachers' jobs easier.

Cons

Adding columns or data within a screen is easy to do (2 clicks to start), but the process of choosing the correct data you want is a rabbit hole. There is SO MUCH data in the database, that you need to know an exact pathway in order to add the correct data to a screen.

Response from Skyward

We appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments Keith. It's great to hear that we are meeting the needs of the teachers at East Allen County Schools and we appreciate your continued partnership with us.

Woody
Woody

From a parents point of view, it's extremely frustrating

Reviewed on 10/03/2023

Speaking strictly as a parent of a middle schooler, every time I log on to Skyward, I feel like I'm stepping back to the 1970s. The interface is completely unintuitive. The prompts confusing. The mobile app is even less forgiving than the online app, and the online app has me tied up in knots. Even the windows don't resize properly, fer heaven's sake. I honestly wonder if the product design is frozen at a pre-online point in time.

Pros

Nice to have everything in one place, but....

Cons

... it's very difficult to use. Unnecessarily so.

Response from Skyward

In reading your review, Woody, we are pretty sure your school is not using the latest version of Skyward (Qmlativ). Our newest platform was introduced a couple years ago and we are in the process of getting customers moved over as quickly as possible, however with 2500+ customers it's a large undertaking. Feedback from customers on Qmlativ has been overwhelmingly positive so far.

Skyward

Reviewed on 05/02/2020

Overall, I have had a great experience. I am able to easily modify the grading program to fit my needs.

Pros

This is a really easy program to use for grading students. I also use the program to create online tests.

Cons

I can make seating charts with this program, but it does not allow me to print them off as a full page. I have had out IT guy look at this, but we cannot figure out how to do it.

Amee

Skyward requires Skills

Reviewed on 22/05/2021

Everytime we feel as though we need a retraining between the quarters to use it - to find the button or link that we need to report. It is easy to keep grades, but difficult to find the report, build a template or transfer grades between quarters/semesters. There is lots of keying in on the teachers side. There have been other report managing systems that I have used that have been a lot nicer for data keeping.

Pros

We use this software daily and I like the idea of a gradebook that is on-line to report grades virtually, especially with the changes in our world.

Cons

Difficult to use, not really user friendly (or teacher friendly rather) for the lower grades. I found that many upper elementary, middle school or high school enjoyed it and used it in so many other ways. We currently only use it to report attendance, grades and scan school entry documents. I am sure there are many other features that this platform offers.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for your comments Amee. Getting the most from Skyward involves some training and experience. We hope you will check out this article to see the training options you have at your disposal with Skyward. thttps://www.skyward.com/discover/insider/july-2015/know-your-skyward-training-options

Sarah
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Skyward-Great for Grades and Absences

Reviewed on 04/07/2019

Pros

I like the quick score button on this software. When you click it, it opens up the grade sheet for every assignment in that class. This makes it easier to grade multiple assignments and update them easily and in a timely manner. If I didn't have this tool/button, it would take much longer for me to update grades.

Cons

I wish that I could see the entire title of each assignment when looking at my class for my grades. Currently, I can see the beginning of the assignment title and the total amount of points it is worth. For example, if the title of my assignment is Science World News Page 5, it may show up on the grade sheet as simply Sci W. This is to save space, but I would rather it shows the entire name. I have some assignments that have the same name, but specify parts by stating page numbers. This would make it easier for me to grade.

Response from Skyward

Thank you so much for sharing your comments Sarah. It's always great to hear from teachers about the ways Skyward saves time and makes your life a little easier.

Jessica
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Skyward is amazing for grading.

Reviewed on 21/07/2021

I love using Skyward to manage my students grades and to print off report cards.

Pros

I love how easily I can input grades for all of my students in multiple courses. The attendance function is easy and I can enter attendance quickly every morning. I also love that I can pull reports for all of my students at once and print them for viewing.

Cons

Finding a specific report is difficult. You have to go through several different hyperlinks to get to the one you want and sometimes it's not the correct one and you have to start over. The reports are a little bit confusing but once you find the correct one it is helpful.

Response from Skyward

We appreciate your feedback Jessica. Our grading and attendance features are hugely popular with teachers, and we are always looking for ways to make our reporting more intuitive for all users. We'll be sure to share your comments with our product team.

Nathan

Not ideal

Reviewed on 05/11/2019

This help keep grades, lunch accounts, and attendance

This help keep grades, lunch accounts, and attendance

Pros

The grade calculation and attendance parts work well. The custom reports are nice to save for the future.

Cons

The system isn't as user friendly as I hoped. Many connectivity issues with Canvas, this causes true have issues importing and exporting grade.

Glennda

I miss Skyward!

Reviewed on 03/12/2020

Skyward makes things easier: reports, emailing parent, emailing other teachers, emailing classes en mass, putting in grades, adding extra credit, tracking in general, and adding notes. It's just all easier in Skyward. I think this is one of the best LMS systems that I have used.

Pros

I loved how easy, once you learned the ropes, Skyward was to operate. It was literally my one stop shop. And now, I have 4 LMS systems that I use and this makes me miss the simplicity of Skyward.

Cons

The learning curve is steep, but once you learn, as a teacher, Skyward can make your life easier than doing everything on your own.

Response from Skyward

Glennda, thank you so much for the sparkling review. It's not often that we receive reviews from former customers. If and when you are ready to rejoin the Skyward family, we'll be waiting.

Damon
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

My review of skyward

Reviewed on 24/09/2022

Overall, my experience with Skyward is pretty good. I don’t have any other complaints. Other than that annoying password reset thing that it does. Fix that and I would say you are completely perfect.

Pros

The user interfaces designed very well, and the ease of use is not notch. I was able to learn skyward within one day when I started working for the school district. So I would say that ease-of-use is by far my favorite part of the software.

Cons

Having to reset my password every couple of weeks is rather annoying. If we could fix that, I would really appreciate it. I don’t like having to call tech-support to reset my password every two weeks to one month.

Response from Skyward

We appreciate your feedback, Damon. The password reset issue is something that your administrator should be able to adjust in the settings, however some customers prefer to have people reset them more often for security reasons.

Fadi

Nice but need enhancements

Reviewed on 22/11/2022

Pros

It is a very good software, full of features and options, to some extent easy to use specially for the daily basis tasks. Very good support.

Cons

Not very opened to customizations, and being an international customer our requests are not heard or taken into consideration.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the positive review Fadi.

Mary

Using Skyward as both a teacher and a parent

Reviewed on 19/05/2022

Pros

It is self-explanatory in most cases. I can figure out on my own how to create a report, post a grade........

Cons

It is date driven. So if school is canceled, IT has to change the dates in the programming.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for your feedback Mary. It's always great to hear from Skyward users that are both educators and parents. We hope the rest of your school year goes well and enjoy your summer.

Michael

Makes life easy

Reviewed on 15/09/2019

Skyward has made all educational logistics easy. The mobile app included.

Skyward has made all educational logistics easy. The mobile app included.

Pros

I like most that Skyward is a developed system that anticipates common classroom scenarios. I like that I can pull up photo class charts and click on pictures to access student information. I like that I can send messages to multiple classes at once and schedule the send time.

Cons

I like least that there is a proposed and an actual due date options. I don't understand why I need to fill out both for assignment due dates.

Response from Skyward

Thanks for sharing your comments Michael. We appreciate your feedback.

Megan

Skyward in the Classroom

Reviewed on 09/12/2018

I have used Skyward for three years and I think it's unexpectedly been unavailable less than five times and it is restored quickly. It syncs with our online platform which helps with grading.

Pros

Skyward is organized and user friendly. I also like how there is an app available that allows teachers to enter grades on their cell phone (I am an Apple user). Skyward has been dependable and my middle school students and their parents can navigate it.

Cons

Skyward will open a new window when taking attendance and entering grades which can be frustrating at times.

Nolan

A Teacher's Review of Student Management by Skyward

Reviewed on 11/02/2019

Overall, the experience that I have had has been very positive. I was able to figure out most issues within a matter of a minute or two and, when I had a bigger issue, customer support was able to fix it fairly quick.

Pros

Being able to easily manage assignments and attendance is extremely valuable to any teacher. Being able to easily pick up on the software that your school corporation is using is even better.

Cons

There are some confusing aspects at first but, with a little use, the average person will figure out most details with ease.

Stacey
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Skyward is the backbone of many school districts

Reviewed on 12/06/2019

I have used this program as a parent and as a teacher. As a teacher it is fabulous. As a parent I have struggled with the program going back to the log in screen. Other than that I know my child's information is safe and secure on this site.

Pros

This program is very safe and secure. Many large school districts trust this program for student and parent information.

Cons

I have struggled some as a parent when I try to scroll down to view more information about my child's grades I will be sent back to the log in screen.

Aly
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Skyward for managing student grades.

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Skyward is very good. It could use a better calendar but other than that very good.

Pros

Skyward has a simple interface and is easy to navigate. It auto signs out in case of in-activity which prevents others from viewing your account.

Cons

The calendar design doesn't help view tasks and often times it won't sync with other school managing apps.

Response from Skyward

Thank you so much for the review Aly. We'll be sure to pall along your comments regarding the calendar to our user experience team.

Yulonda

Skwyard Teacher

Reviewed on 21/06/2021

I use skyward for entering grades and communicating with parents.

I use skyward for entering grades and communicating with parents.

Pros

Skyward has the ability to send mass messages to parents without having to send individual emails , which would otherwise be time consuming

Cons

Skyward should be set up so that it integrates seamlessly from Google classroom or other LMS to export grades

Response from Skyward

We appreciate your positive comments about Skyward Yulonda. Have a great summer.

Heta

Student Review

Reviewed on 24/11/2022

Pros

Very easy to use for students and teachers. I love how as a student I am able to see every single detail about my grades and what is submitted and what did not get submitted.

Cons

Through my use of Skyward for high school, I have loved it!

Response from Skyward

Thanks for the review Heta. We're so glad you find Skyward easy to use.