PowerSchool SIS Reviews

4/5
4.1/5

Great SIS!

Reviewed on 10/09/2018

Easy to use, exceptional features, up-to-date, etc... I'm a big fan of PowerSchool as a SIS!

Pros

Here are the pros I see with PowerSchool as an administrator:
- Easy-to-use for newcomers
- Tons of potential and features
- They really do have incredible customer support. They offer a site where you can make suggestions, and upvote other ideas. They do release those features commonly, too.
- It's a one-stop-shop for almost every SIS need

Cons

Due to some major recent updates with the platform (specifically gradebook becoming web-based, called PowerTeacher Pro), I do not have any major complaints regarding it. I cannot speak to the programming side, but in my role as a troubleshooter for teachers, I find it very easy to use. I have noticed and heard that it doesn't always react/respond well across different OS. Due to the fact that it is web-based, this could be problematic if the internet was down.

Susan

Reviewed on 25/12/2020

PowerSchool Pro takes some getting used to and many of its features have been discovered by "word of mouth" from fellow teachers. They have increased their server capacity so the program is now fast and reliable. The only caveat is, if you are a mere teacher, there is NO way to ever find out beforehand if the software will suddenly be unavailable to you, and then it could be days before it comes back. So File Save your data, and Save often!

Pros

Powerschool Pro bundles grades and attendance into one program. We can change our attendance up to midnight, which is a real benefit in this new Virtual environment. PowerSchool has built-in graphical seating chart (click and drag) that can be printed - amazing feature! We can do attendance from the seating charge grid - a huge timesaver!
When taking attendance, we can set the timeframe into the past, and get a great visual feel for students that have been missing excessive classes, for example.
Clicking on Student View, I can see all their demographic info in one place, or all their grades and attendance for all classes. So helpful when making that Parent Call to know if the child is struggling in all of his classes, or just having trouble in my class.
Gradebook is very robust - we are allowed to change the columns/view, for example, to accommodate the all the different screen sizes on our various devices we are using. Weighting grades is a click of a mouse, as are categories. Grades can be overridden, and re-calculated, at the click of a mouse.
A fantastic feature of PowerSchool Pro is the ability to see a summary screen for the entire class by grading period (instead of individual grades). I can instantly identify students who made or missed their semester goal by 1 or2 points, for example, and then look at all their report cards to date to see what happened. I can easily see "low" or "high" classes and adjust my teaching style.

Cons

PowerSchool (the website) goes down periodically for maintenance, and there is NO way for a "mere teacher" to find out when it will come back up! If you are a teacher, you CANNOT contact PowerSchool directly - you must go through your "representative" who is (for my campus) NEVER available.
Right now, yes, it is the holidays, but with NO NOTICE the program has been down for a week with NO IDEA of when it will ever come back up. I had made arrangements with some of my failing students over the Break, and so had other teachers. We are trying to find the student contact info and grade info that is all locked away in PowerSchool that we foolishly thought we would be able to access. With no luck. And we cannot even ASK when it might come back up. This happens regularly on Saturdays, Spring break - times when I am trying to catch up. I now keep my grades in an Excel spreadsheet so I can at least get at them. Teachers beware!
Another weakness currently is the Attendance Audit - for our District it only goes back 2 weeks. In High School, students lose credit after 4 absences / semester and it would be nice to be able to quickly see who those students are from a report.
Lastly, they have an Attendance feature that allows you to group separate classes into one session, but that feature is MISSING for grades. If your periods are coded as different Classes by your District, you will be forced to open, close, enter grades, repeat... over and over for each separate class.

Michelle
  • Industry: Design
  • Used for 6-12 months

Poorly designed

Reviewed on 09/02/2021

I wouldn't use this at all if I didn't have to in order to view my child's grades.

Pros

Being able to view grades and teacher comments

Cons

The navigation labeling is confusing and misleading. What is the difference between "Grade History" and "Historical Grades"? They are two separate pages, but the distinction is not obvious to me. There is nothing shown on either one. "Grades and Attendance" only displays attendance, not grades. Finally found grades under "Standards Grades History" but had to scroll down to see it. The first thing shown is a schedule. This is not an expected information architecture.

The grades are laid out in a table with numbers, letters, and symbols indicating performance. You need to scoll up and down to see what they mean in the legend at the bottom of the page. There are 13 different symbols to have to refer to in the legend. You easily lose your place going back and forth to see what the symbol is supposed to indicate. I'd rather have it spelled out in the table instead of referring to a symbol. You could probably even put the legend in a floating div to the left or right of the grade table so it's easier to reference.

The usability of this site is poor. I needed help from others to find what I was looking for. The overall design is lackluster. Could use quite a few improvements to make this a better experience.

Heidi

Reviewed on 02/10/2019

The PowerSchool experience has been positive. It is very convenient to have the functions we need in a school setting all in one place. It has made managing student information very efficient.

Pros

The capabilities and information that is available at your fingertips is extremely helpful. Very easy to pre-enroll and enroll students. We have account creation automated through PowerSchool, so when a student is enrolled, within 24 hours their school accounts are created, such as Active Directory, email, etc. This is very handy for our department.

Some of the features available in PowerSchool are: information management, reporting, IEP tracking , admissions management, billing and payment, student information management, student portal, parent portal, registration and scheduling, gradebooks and transcripts to name a few. Having everything in one place has been convenient for our staff and students.

Cons

There are so many bells and whistles, sometimes it is hard to figure out how to complete a task. However their help menu is very helpful. We also have the privilege of having our ISD available for help.

Seth
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

All though the GUI is a little clunky on the students end, the program is very expandable.

Reviewed on 23/04/2018

The ability to see on my phone and computer, up-to-date information send from the school such as grades, announcements and schedule information.

Pros

What's really amazing about this software is how it manages to send hundreds of staff members input (grades, attendance, comments) to thousands of students and parents phones, laptops, tablets ect. seamlessly and easily, with plenty of extra essential features such as scheduling, and sign-ups, and substitute teacher logins, usually withourt any hiccups.

Cons

The android application is absolutely dreadful. Announcements rarely display properly and the menu is just a list of text. The app looks awful and many students report frequent crashing. The iOS app is only a slight improvement over the android version with a better GUI and less crashes. Both apps are missing a refresh feature (pull-down) and have no way of checking that the information displayed is current, often only updating a few minutes after the app is opened, causing the wrong days announcements to be displayed, and some students miss crucial information.

Callie
Callie

PowerSchool

Reviewed on 19/05/2020

Overall, PowerSchool is an effective program, but it does take some training and getting used to.

Pros

PowerSchool's gradebook system is pretty easy to use. The administrator can set grade weights if that is something that is standard across your school.

Cons

The main page for recording attendance, viewing student/parent contact information, viewing attendance report is not very intuitive. Once you know how to use it, it is fine. However, there are several different clicks you have to make to achieve what you want, and the first few times it is trial and error finding out how to get what you want.

PowerSchool Review

Reviewed on 21/03/2019

PowerSchool allows me to be up-to-date on my son's assignments and grades on my mobile device. It's ease of use allows me to check whenever needed.

Pros

PowerSchool is a great tool for both me and my child. It is easy to navigate and displays perfectly on mobile devices. I can access grades, assignments and GPA quickly and easily. It is a streamlined and modern format, buttons are accessible and the dashboard gives you all necessary information on one screen. The classes button nicely displays each class, grade and assignments associated with that class. I also love the new schedule feature.

Cons

Since this is the first software program we have used related to school information I don't have anything to compare it to. It hasn't presented any challenges for us yet.

PowerSchool for everyone

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

Pros

PowerSchool SIS has been around for a long time. The software has eveloved with the needs of the schools and the parents. We have many districts in our state running this SIS and I don't think we could ever change. The SIS is easy to use as a teacher, student, parent, office personnel, and it is easy to support. There are many custom addons and other features PowerSchool can accomodate if not native to the plateform.

Cons

Somtimes we have diffuclut time reaching knowledgable support staff when we have issues.

• Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

A great product for any school.

Reviewed on 31/12/2018

I have used PowerSchool since 2003 and love working with it. It has changed over the years and i have found the changes to be improved to our benefit each time.

Pros

It saves a lot of time and is easy to use. It is very helpful to the Administrators and Teachers with all information for the students. Parents can view all information online for their child only and information from the school. Historical information is great.

Cons

There is nothing that i can think that i like the least at this time.

• Industry: Museums & Institutions

Good communication tool— When teachers use it

Reviewed on 08/06/2019

Pros

Parents can see their students' progress in almost real time. I get notifications whenever a teacher inputs a grade for my child, allowing me to have conversations with them about their learning on a regular basis and without having to wait for progress reports or report cards.

Cons

This does require teachers to input grades on a regular basis, and regrettably, not every teacher does. The software design, while effective, does feel a bit clunky. For example, if I get a notification about a grade change, it takes many. many seconds from my logging in to see that new grade pop up.

Kristen

PowerSchool Pros and Cons

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

Most days, PS is great. Of course we have made a lot of customizations to our system to get the functionality we want. We are hosted by PowerSchool and actually getting to talk to someone in the hosting is darn near impossible which is frustrating!! As a hosted customer, I should have a tech assigned to MY school and have a direct line to talk to that person when server issues arise.

Pros

We purchased PowerSchool in 2011 and have used it since. PowerSchool is a robust and user-friendly SIS.

Cons

PowerSchool bought it's self out a few year back. Since that time, I have not been on board with the business model. We are small district and PowerSchool is a premium product. Since the purchase, they have begun acquiring 3rd party vendors instead of updating their software. They pick one preferred vendor and that vendor has full access integration to PS but you pay top dollar for that integration. As small as we are, we cannot afford to add everyone of these integrations just to have a "better" system that we are already paying top dollar for! This is my biggest issue with PS at the moment.

Amanda
Amanda

Fantastic product

Reviewed on 13/08/2019

Pros

This is a simple platform that I, as a teacher, use daily to communicate with faculty and students. I post messages, documents, videos, and various other files into individual classrooms I set up for my students. There they can find the syllabus and see how the class is broken up into units. They are alerted by email when changes or updates have been made.

For our school faculty page, it's a way for them to post commonly used materials and handbooks, college counseling information, deadlines. It's been an invaluable tool for keeping me organized. And I am NOT that tech savvy and I was able to use it immediately with almost no learning curve.

Cons

I feel like I learn about new features all the time. I wish there was a way to learn about them earlier or that they were more obvious in style. Overall, I have very little to say against this program.

Amy
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Powerschool is useful but could be better

Reviewed on 11/02/2020

PS is a powerful program but there are a few things that make things better.

PS is a powerful program but there are a few things that make things better.

Pros

PowerSchool is Integrated with our discipline module - Educator's Handbook - so we can upload the discipline into PS. I like the "set all" function for inputting attendance.

Cons

Not integrated with Ident-aKid for NC
Cannot "set all" when putting in comments in the attendance bubble
I wish teachers could see the student attendance for the other classes. That way they would know whether or not if the student has skipped.
There needs to be a better alert system for custody matters. (highlighted page, beep, etc)
I wish there was a warning when we don't submit a page before leaving the page.

Tiffany

Useful for data tracking

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

I use PowerSchool daily to track student attendance data. Additionally, all of my student demographic information is stored within PowerSchool, so it is convenient during emergency situations or when reporting out. As a parent, I can also access my own child’s information, which is nice. I just wish it was a bit easier to navigate. It takes me a bit to find what I need to - a lot of clicking buttons and hoping for the best!

Pros

As a classroom teacher, I do find it convenient to have access through this software to important information about my students, such as emergency contact info, birthdays, attendance data.

Cons

I don’t feel like this is a super user-friendly software. I can navigate now easily to the features I use daily, but other than that, it takes me a lot of clicking to get where I need to go! Navigation could be a bit easier.

Jennifer

Great app

Reviewed on 17/04/2020

overall this is a great app and much better than waiting for the report card in the mail, you are able to see grades right away and address things if need be.

Pros

This app is so detail oriented it is great! The teachers put grades in and as parents we can see it immediately. We can email the teacher right from the app if needed and everything is very clear and easy to read. The classes are broken down by individual and so are the assignments. Very user friendly for everyone to use, my child has no problem navigating the app.

Cons

I do wish it were the same app on all devices, my daughter and I have different devices so sometimes it is hard to see exactly what she is looking at.

Bryan

Tracking a kids progress

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

Power School is one of those things that makes teaching easy. The quick look up toolshelp you in the spare of the moment.

Pros

Power School helps kept track of a child's attendance, grades and tardiness. It also allows the teacher and Administration to look up the demographics so that they know who the child's guardians are. And it also helps contact the parents encase there is a emergency.

Cons

The only issue I have had with Power School is the customer support at times. And that is usually a State wide issue.

Sarah
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

I use PowerSchool daily at a public high school.

Reviewed on 18/01/2018

Pros

I like that PowerSchool has the ability to search for students in many different ways, ie: last name, first name,. grade level, parent name, street address, etc. It is also convenient that you can look up family members who are also enrolled in the school district.

Cons

It can be very difficult to figure out how to run certain reports, and sometimes the fields that you use in the quick export function are not intuitive. The mobile app is not very user friendly, either.

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Powerschool has revolutionized grading!

Reviewed on 03/08/2018

Pros

Powerschool Pro has all the features I need. I can publish and push grades out to parents. I can hold back formative assessments. I can create groupings. I can scan all of my class sections for proficiency at a button click.

Cons

Powerschool can take a little while to setup. You will need to tutor parents on how to use Powerschool. The reports are amazing, but take time to figure out how to run them properly.

Marla

Overall we are very pleased with PowerSchool and have been for the past 9 years. It is great.

Reviewed on 17/05/2017

Pros

I like that it works on a daily basis without a hitch. If it does go down we usually just reboot and all is good to go. I also like that they continually do updates and work with outside partners with add ons such as online registration.

Cons

In the past when we did an update, we always had to call tech support because we would have some small issue. The last two updates have went well.

Nolan
  • Used for 2+ years

PowerSchool- Just ok....

Reviewed on 27/09/2019

As I said, this was nice for our teachers to have the ability to share grades live with their parents, however it left me drained as the Admin with always having to fix and reassign IDs and such when it locked our teachers or parents out.

Pros

Gradebook and SIS all in one place that allowed parents to interact and view live grades on a daily basis. Creating new profiles was easy... for students, not so much faculty.

Cons

The user interface was aged. It felt way older than it should have been. It also was a PAIN to set up new years, calendars, etc. If there is a warning when setting things up that says, "If you do this step wrong, you can kiss a weekend of your life goodbye fixing the problem," then something isn't right, in my opinion. The parent portal was nice, but again, not as user friendly as I think it could have been.

Powerful SIS for schools

Reviewed on 03/04/2019

PowerSchool provides us the tools to communicate with parents in an efficient and reliable way.

Pros

This program has a fabulous integration between school and parent access. Grade books, attendance, behavior, and all other aspects are updated in Real Time. The online registration process has been a tremendous help to our secretarial staff.

Cons

First time users have a learning curve. Many new teachers report that it is not intuitive or user friendly for learning. Seems to have a compatibility issue with Mac OS.

Rocio

PowerSchool works well for our schools and is used a lot in different educations organizations.

Reviewed on 11/07/2017

Easy to find most student information in just one software.

Easy to find most student information in just one software.

Pros

This software is easy to use and learn without being taught. Overtime, you can learn the shortcuts and that helps a lot.

Cons

I do not like that it logs us off so quickly if it is not being used but we can probably set the time to a longer stretch, but for security reasons, we don't.

Dawn

I love being up to date on my child's progress.

Reviewed on 07/05/2018

Pros

I can see real time updates on my child's progress. Teachers add assignments and grades daily and I don't have to wait until the next progress or report card to know how my child is doing.

Cons

Only the teachers that don't use it regularly. This is not a software issue though. It's a teacher issue.

Good management software

Reviewed on 13/09/2019

I use this product daily. It aids with home communication.

I use this product daily. It aids with home communication.

Pros

Good student management software. Stores all relevant information about students, including food allergies, which is helpful.

Cons

My complaints are very minimal. Better tracking of year to year progress? A way to weed out inactive emails?

Ben

A One Stop Shop for Student Information

Reviewed on 07/09/2017

Pros

This program offers access to all the information I could want about my students, all in one place with an easy to use interface.

Cons

This software sometimes has problems importing grades and other data into its system. Although, it can be done, it sometimes feels clunky how it is done.