QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews

Randy
Randy

QuickBookds Desktop Pro is a winner

Reviewed on 17/12/2021

Have used and supported QB Desktop Pro and all its other flavors successfully for over 20 years

Pros

Industry standard for easy of use accounting software; easy to implement; many useful and essential features

Cons

Inexperienced users without proper training can Quick(ly screw up your)Books

Peter

QuickBooks Desktop the elephant in the room

Reviewed on 28/11/2023

It works and a lot of people know it. You can get yourself into more trouble than with some similarly priced products, but the are not as easy to use.

Pros

Easy to use and learn and a lot of people know it.

Cons

Technical support is not the best and it should be a lot better.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

No longer supported by manufacturer (Sage) and not very many experts out there.

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

We are still suspicious of the cloud and our internet is not 100% up.
Adam

Good product

Reviewed on 28/03/2024

Pros

Ease of use for features I require. Good.

Cons

I can’t manage two businesses with one account.

Michael

Quickbooks Desktop is still the Goto bookkeeping software

Reviewed on 05/06/2018

Probably the last remaining bookkeeping software in the bookkeeping industry from the older years though many online bookkeeping services are available, hence Intuit is pushing QB Online version instead of the desktop version which is Superior in functionality but not access for obvious reasons.

People MUST LEARN how to use QB PROPERLY to avoid MANY issues caused by the users themselves who are too lazy to learn and to use. Do NOT blame the QB or tax professionals that are hired to fix the QB owners messes!

Pros

Relatively simple to use especially if you're on the cash basis of accounting.
Can delete many entries.

Cons

Accrual basis can be confusing, if not difficult, especially when you use invoices/receipts since you have to 'link' them to when you actually pay the invoices or receive payment, which many people do NOT, which causes the problems!
Do NOT use 'Undeposited Funds', EVER! Just deposit the receipts! Many people do NOT clear/reconcile the 'Undeposited Funds' account which causes LOTS of problems!
QB Owners REFUSE to learn how to use the software properly hence the large amount of Errors because many don't know how to use the software and do NOT know basic bookkeeping concepts/usage!
Intuit is making Older QB versions Obsolete every ~3 years by dropping support and updates.
AVOID QB payroll unless you KNOW what you're doing! Otherwise, pay an external payroll company to do your payroll! THIS is especially true when benefits are added!

Saiyuri
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reviewed on 29/12/2023

Pros

How easy it is to use and how quick it is to do invoices and billing.

Cons

So far there isn't any cons to QuickBooks as I love everything about it.

Daniel
  • Industry: Accounting

One of the best desktop software solutions

Reviewed on 08/09/2023

It is a great piece of software, although online software is slowly but surely taking over the industry

Pros

Great reporting features, allowing for customised reports on various multi-levels of reporting with different classes, tags etc.

Cons

Need to do regular backups of the data, updates of the software and data from later versions not compatible with earlier versions of the software

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

To have better reports for a construction company

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

It was a great product with all the needed features
Johnny
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Low cost solution with frequent upkeep

Reviewed on 15/11/2023

After all of our maintenance issues I would never use Quickbooks Desktop again. Cloud version is the way to go.

Pros

Quickbooks Desktop is a low cost solution for our Finance department that requires a lot of maintenance. It's fairly easy to use and gets the job done when the application is working properly.

Cons

We use it on a server because having several individual workstations running the software was a nightmare. The server frequently locks up and needs to be restarted weekly due to the high usage. The application also has issues with printing every so often because it relies on the Microsoft XPS Document writer. If the printer gets removed or corrupted, it is a pain to recover. Also updating to the latest release can be a pain because the install has issues sometimes.
Because of all these issues, I highly recommend moving to Quickbooks online.

Michael

Easy To Use

Reviewed on 21/02/2024

Pros

QuickBooks was very easy to use. Teaching someone how to use the system was a breeze.

Cons

I ran into an issue during 2022 1099 tax filing. The system printed the entire year on the forms instead of just the last two digits.

Felicia

Invoices and billing made easy

Reviewed on 25/03/2024

Overall I have had little issues, its been great for helping me keep track of resident invoices.

Pros

I love how easy it is to add a new customer and get their invoices going right away.

Cons

There was recently a new update to the look of things, took me a minute to navigate but once I figured it out, it was easy peasy

• Used Daily for Free Trial

Bookeeping

Reviewed on 29/03/2024

i really like i am a tax advisor and plan on getting certified to be a pro advisor

Pros

There's really no comparison. When you are trying to level up as a business owner there really no better platform

Cons

the cost and learning how to use . you really should use an accountant

Alan
  • Industry: Hospitality

The investment is worth the time and convience

Reviewed on 27/10/2020

Regardless overall, as a small business owner or not the utilization of using QuickBooks especially for a financial software is very easy to use. It has all the basics pretty much could anything I need on it. I haven't had an issue with QuickBooks I just recommend certain things like higher security as such.

Pros

The easy of use, not complicated at all to utilize. it's also good with third-party applications and integrations, makes it much more easier. Price wise it is affordable since I would say it's worth the money it's for. It also has a very large support Network. Personally best software to keep financial records, especially for small businesses

Cons

The security on it does lack, there isn't a two-step authentication. And there was a limitation to the number of products in the list especially for inventory purposes. There are also file size issues that need to be addressed, and personally I also believe there needs to be more utilization into e-commerce.

Xero

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

It was okay but it lacked in features that QuickBooks had that wave didn't.

Wave

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

QuickBooks is a big name already and I've been recommended by colleagues to use overall I'm very satisfied my complaints are very minor about it. I wouldn't switch
Tara
  • Industry: Accounting

By far the superior bookkeeping software

Reviewed on 15/11/2021

Customer service is terrible, but that is the same for all of Intuit. It is a shame because 20 years ago they were #1 in customer service and now they're at the bottom. However, I will never use any bookkeeping product other than Quickbooks Desktop in my office. No other program can even come close in functionality. No other program has the same ease of use. That being said, I don't recommend it for just anyone. If you do not know how to do bookkeeping or don't have a propensity for it, don't buy Quickbooks desktop or Quickbooks online and assume you can do your business bookkeeping. Consult with a professional.

Pros

The general ledger is my favorite. I will not use software that I can not make general ledger journal entries in. I love the tax tracking. It has the best tracking of payroll and sales taxes if it is properly set up. And adjustments can be made if necessary - which in my state is every quarter.

Cons

I do not like that we now have to log-in with an "intuit ID." I bought desktop software because I want to use it on my desktop. I do not want all of my software connected to the internet all of the time. I do not want my client accounts connected to my intuit ID and I do not want them to have to have their own intuit ID accounts. They aren't using the software, I am. They aren't doing the bookkeeping and payroll, I am. And if Intuit's servers are down or if the internet is down and I can't log in, well then I can't work and that doesn't work for me.

Wave, Xero and QuickBooks Online Accountant

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Quite simply, it is the best and it is designed for bookkeepers and accountants.
Matt
  • Industry: Farming

The industry standard

Reviewed on 14/10/2022

QuickBooks is widely used by many different types of businesses therefore, it is supported and understood by most typical CPAs and tax attorneys. Bankers are also familiar with it, as well. It does a great job of tracking income and expenses, and tax related items. While lacking in farm specific functions, it does the others so well that you can trust you’ll have good information come tax time

Pros

QuickBooks is the industry standard for small and medium size businesses. It is known by most CPAs and bookkeepers, so it is easy to get answers for any questions you may have.

Cons

QuickBooks has the most standard set of features needed for most small businesses, however it is not tailored for some of the intricacies of farming.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

GnuCash seems to have all the functionality that an accounting package would need, and is free and open source, but not widely used and accepted by accountants, CPAs, and bankers. Since we rely on a CPA for our depreciation and tax preparation, we made the switch to QuickBooks, which is widely known by CPAs. After doing it for a few years, and getting comfortable doing bookkeeping, I feel like I could make GnuCash work if I tried it again.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

I chose the desktop version because I was not interested in the online features or sharing functionality, since it is just my self doing most of the entries. I also was not interested in having a monthly subscription. I preferred to buy the software one time.
Salmaan
  • Industry: Design

Life made easier with the use of Quickbooks Desktop Pro

Reviewed on 02/05/2023

QuickBooks Desktop Pro has helped me to create fast and easy invoices, quotations and payments for my business. This has been a life saver.

Pros

As a small growing business, I have taken advantage of the capabilities and features that QuickBooks had to offer. QuickBooks creates PDF files immediately once saved and these files can be emailed within seconds. Tracking of bills has never been easier as well.

Cons

It has been difficult for me to get used to the QuickBooks software system as I have been using Excel before. I have no complaints about QuickBooks Desktop Pro as I have learnt the system and love how everything falls into place with the click of a button.

Cathryn

Excellent Accounting Software for Small Business!

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

My overall experience with QB is fantastic. I was lucky enough to have used it for many years and even learned to convert the Chart of Account structure in order to do business with the Government. Our control system plus the software enabled us to pass DCAA's accounting system audit to perform on CPFF contracts. We have also used data from QB and external reporting to submit Incurred Cost Submissions to varies Government agencies. Highly recommend to small businesses!

Pros

I used this software for over 20 years with several small businesses. I've used it daily for many years for all accounting cycles, such as AP, AR, GL, bank reconciliation, financial reporting, etc. I love its flexibility (mistakes can be easily fixed), complexity (can even accommodate DCAA compliance), intuitiveness (to me at least), and many report functions including drill downs. It also works very well with ICAT, so that QB data can be used to calculate indirect cost rates.

Cons

Cons are very few. Because I haven't been a daily user for a few years, a couple of issues I remember are:
1. Interfacing with a 3rd party payroll seems to not work well, we ended up having to make a large summarizing journal entry (however, this is not an issue at the current company b/c payroll is handled by Intuit).
2. Too few characters are allowed in the PO and Invoice Number field. Our bookkeeper still currently have to be creative in order to have everything fit.

Deltek Costpoint

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

We chose QB for its ease of use and its cost.
Shayne

Program is Great - Support not so Great

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

I enjoy using Quickbooks, but feel that the availability of a good alternative accounting program would make Intuit step up to the plate and improve their support after the sale. I feel that Quickbooks stands out as the leader and they really don't have any good competition.

Pros

Very easy to use. Very versatile reporting. Offers several different ways to navigate the program

Cons

The program is expensive and getting more expensive with every new release. Now Quickbooks has gone to being subscription based, so you will have to buy a new subscription every year. I used to just upgrade every 3 years or so. Support is outsourced to the Philippines making communication with the agent very annoying. Quickbooks acts like if you have to call support, it is because you are not smart enough to use the program. Support is expensive after a short introductory period.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Due to being in a rural setting without super good internet, having everything stored on your own computer makes using the program much quicker.
Johnny

Very Functional, but Complicated; With Irritating Pop Up Ads

Reviewed on 14/05/2021

Overall it's positive, and the software is very powerful. Even after two years (and a degree is computer science), I am still learning things with it. The bank export to QuickBoosk import feature most banks offer has saved me many hours of time doing monthly accounting, that alone makes it work it. The pop up ads on start up (which slow down my PC even more than the software otherwise would) are very very frustrating.

Pros

This software is very full featured. I use it for a few businesses; residential and storage unit rentals. The software has can do most everything that you would want it to do for this type of business. There's great features for setting up recurring invoices for tenants, generating all types of reports to track how your rentals are performing, and the PayRoll add on is very helpful for paying employees and dealing with quarterly and annual taxes. One very huge pro is that most banks allow you to export transactions from the bank website software into QuickBooks format, and then you can import them into QB. This saves me tons of time as I have many transactions related to the self storage business, and it makes monthly account reconciliation much much easier.

Cons

There's a steep learning curve here. Many of the features and options are not intuitive at all (ironic since the company that owns this software is named Intuit). I used simple spreadsheets before this, I'm very computer oriented, and I still don't use many of the features available in this software after a few years. I switched at the recommendation of my accountant, and a steep discount in my annual tax preparation costs. There's just so much to learn here! There are tons of web tutorials available to learn things, but you have to be aware of a feature in order to know that you can use it. If you have someone that can show you the ropes, or you're willing to dig in and learn, then I recommend this software. The only major complaint that I have about it is the pop up advertisements. When you start the software, you frequently get pop up ads. This is super irritating, and it doesn't seem to matter if you click the 'Don't show this again' button. I've already bought your software, STOP SPAMMING ME!

Zandi

Quickbooks....I Use It To Run My Company.

Reviewed on 12/04/2017

Overall the best small business accounting software I have found. I would recommend it over all other products. I have used it for the past seven years and I do not hesitate to dump software that does not perform. I own and operate a smallish construction company and will likely someday need to step up to one of the big boy software packages, but until then, it serves me well.
You can get this accounting software to do just about anything you need it to with enough time and know how.

Pros

The software is stable with very few glitches and crashes. I have never lost any significant amount of data in 7 years. It produces reports and printed materials that are widely accepted and you can get checks and other forms compatible with ease. It networks well and with a fair amount of simplicity even with several users. The Contractor Premier does a decent job of job costing if you set it up properly. You can customize all reports, invoices, statement, etc. to meet your needs and promote the branding of your company. Payroll add on service is excellent and has kept us dead on with all payroll related responsibilities.

Cons

You get out what you put in. As with all software, you must know what you are doing to operate it successfully. I am very computer savvy and have a lot of experience with the proficient use of multiple advanced software programs so I thought I could just open a file and get going. Nope. Quickbooks does not work well out of the box, you will need to invest some time in getting it set up for you and your business. The cost of upgrades is unavoidable so be ready. You will need to upgrade every year to get the software support from Intuit and every time you add a seat on your license. There is no way around it that works and I have tried. There are a million secondary dealers of quickbooks, so called quickbook professionals and they have been certified by Quickbooks to use their branding and resell the software program and related support services which make purchase and support confusing and sometimes dangerous.

Jillian
  • Industry: Accounting

Quickbooks Desktop Pro makes bookkeeping a cinch!

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

I am winning at bookkeeping using Quickbooks Desktop Pro, what more can I say?

I am winning at bookkeeping using Quickbooks Desktop Pro, what more can I say?

Pros

Quickbooks Desktop Pro allows me to be a great bookkeeper! Isn't that worth it's monetary investment right there!? I am able to input bills/pay bills, deposits, bank reconciliations and run reports all in the same platform. I even order our checks through the software and it reminds me when we are getting low. Also, I love that I can set reminders for monthly tasks and bills that need to be taken care of without worrying about forgetting. It's tracking it all for me and I just take care of it when the reminder pops up. Now I don't have the bank account connected and that is a personal preference but it is an available feature and it has it's benefits. You can also complete invoicing and payroll through Quickbooks desktop but we already had other means to complete those tasks. I can't recommend it enough, you won't regret the investment.

Cons

The only con I have about Quickbooks Desktop Pro is that going from the online version and converting to desktop is not clean. I've yet to get an import that wasn't missing something. I hope this is something Intuit will improve on in the future. But if you don't have to go back and forth then it's not an issue. I only have one client that this a bother for, other than that I keep everything on the desktop version.

Shannon
  • Industry: Legal Services

QuickBooks Desktop Review

Reviewed on 12/06/2019

Some of the benefits that has helped is producing individual statements to send to out clients. This feature is nice since you can produce only a few statement at a time, since it may not be necessary to produce a whole batch at one time.

Pros

I like how the reconcile feature works under the banking section. It allows the user to make changes by leaving the reconcile screen to make any changes within the QuickBooks program, and it still holds everything where you left off, which keeps the user from having to start over. Once complete, it creates the reconciliation detail report and a summary report, which is easy to print, or save in electronic file.

Cons

My biggest frustration is just learning how to use the software. Their is always a learning curve to learning a new software program. To help with learning QuickBooks, I took a class at a local community college to learn and understand how QuickBooks works. It is also helpful to have some accounting knowledge with learning QuickBooks.

Response from Intuit

No one wants to do the same work twice, so you can count on us to save your progress while reconciling, Shannon. There can be a bit of a learning curve with the software, but we're positive that you can master it. We also have some great resources to help you get there, like our Community space. Here you can find helpful articles and post questions which are answered by fellow users and the QuickBooks Team: community.intuit.com

Thanks for the amazing review!
David, The QuickBooks Team

Duncan
  • Industry: Banking

Made the switch from Sage - could not be happier!

Reviewed on 28/03/2023

Our overall experience has been excellent. There have been a couple of times we've had to engage QB support, and they've been wildly more helpful than we ever experienced with Sage!

Pros

We used Sage (Peachtree) for many years, and struggled to get even basic accounting reports out of the software. We made the decision to switch to Quickbooks Pro, and after a reasonable conversion process, found we were able to get *exactly* the reports we needed with relative ease. That was two years ago, and we've never looked back!

Cons

There are some curious elements to the way QB organizes and labels certain functions...but that's par for the software course.

Rod

Quickbooks Desktop for over 20yrs

Reviewed on 09/12/2023

Love / Hate. It does want you want with little accounting background required. But, if you need to track your customers/vendors/etc, or do fund accounting, you'll probably have to set it up and use it a couple of times before you get the most out of it.

Pros

Quickbooks is easy to use and capture data via standard reporting. If you can make a deposit or record a check, you can use Quickbooks

Cons

Capturing, tracking and reporting donor data is very challenging and you have to understand how QB tracks "customers" activity. Once captured, trying to extract that data is tricky. Somethings are easier to just export to excel and reorganize the way you'd like. QB is not set up to be a Fund Accounting system and trying to use it as one requires some detailed accounting / QB knowledge. It can be done, it just requires a lot of thought and execution. Plus, every 3-4 years, Intuit will try to force you to upgrade and they really want to get you into an on-line product or anything that is subscription based. Look for the desktop product "purchase" to go away.

Tracy

Quickbooks is the way to go!

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

I manage multiple companies and all of them but one use the online version. For the one that does not pay for the monthly subscription, I use QB Desktop Pro. I love having the option and would recommend it to anyone starting out in a small business or tight on expenses. I would also recommend the desktop version if you do not have a lot of transactions going on. It is a great value overall.

Pros

Quickbooks is user friendly and the easiest way to maintain your books for yourself, your clients, and your accountant.

Cons

It is slowly becoming antiquated with technology. If you can afford to do Quickbooks online; that is the way to go.

Response from Intuit

I'm delighted QuickBooks is delivering the feature-set you and your clients deserve, Tracy. They're lucky to have you, and we're proud to be backing you guys. With this said, we strive to deliver the most state-of-the-art software on the market, regardless of what versions you're using. For this reason, could you let me know what parts of the Pro software seem antiquated with technology ([email protected])?

That's my inbox, and I'd love to forward your comments to the developers directly. We roll out a new Desktop generation every single year (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1749284), and your suggestions are appreciated. We use your comments as inspiration for what's to come next, so thanks in advance for sharing the specifics.

Should you have any questions in the meantime, I encourage you to reach out to the product experts in our Community forum. This multi-function space hosts the article above, so post a question anytime!

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Karen

Comprehensive Product but it seems like the desktop version is being phased out

Reviewed on 08/05/2017

If I was starting now, I would start with QuickBooks Online and save the hassle of trying to switch to it down the road.

Pros

QuickBooks Pro is a great program and I can't imagine using anything else to run my small business. You can set it up so many ways to make it work for what you want to track. I like the desktop version because all my online accounts have been hacked and I don't want my clients or my financial information out in the world because of me. I also like that I can use it if I don't have internet access which happens more times than you would think. I also like that I can run several small companies with just one version of the program.

Cons

Because they have QuickBooks Online, they have disabled or limited many download features in the desktop version. I can't get downloads from my bank anymore, for example. It is taking me longer and longer to do the same things and is having a negative impact on my one person business. I am looking into putting my 15 years of data into a format that will work well online and that is a bit daunting. It seems that how you use Jobs, Customers and Classes can vary greatly and sometimes will not work the same in the different versions. But, is seems that online is where everything is going so I need to put in more time now to make things easier going forward.

Lynn
  • Industry: Legal Services

Great for Tracking Expenses

Reviewed on 24/06/2022

I am very happy with Quickbooks Desktop Pro. I am able to balance my accounts easily, print professional looking checks, keep track of expenses, search for specific transactions in various ways, print reports that show my income, net income and expenses for keeping track of my business and preparing income tax returns. I really rely on this program for all of my bookkeeping and tax preparation needs.

Pros

I primarily use Quickbooks as a checkbook for writing checks, recording deposits, and keep track of my accounts. I also rely on it heavily for tax preparation by running reports that show all categories of expenses for taking income tax deductions.

Cons

The version of Quickbooks Pro (2015) that I continue to use is outdated and is no longer supported by Intuit. I worry that I will encounter an error at some point that the company will not be able to assist with, which could be devastating to my bookkeeping and tax information. I chose not to update because I believe that everything is now subscription based, and I did not want to take on the ongoing expense when the program version I am using does everything I want it to do.