PicMonkey

Photo editing and design tools designed to elevate brands

4.5/5

Kevin

A Long-time Favorite

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

Some of my greatest designs have been edited on PickMonkey with stunning results! That says it all!

Pros

It has changed over the years and the free use is very limited now and I cannot afford a plan. But, I am still able to do what I need and PicMonkey offers some filters, effects, etc that are better than other sites and some that only they have. It helps me put the final touches on my art.

Cons

It was better for me a couple of years ago when it was totally free, at least I think it was, and not you are reeled into having to pay, pay, pay. But, I am still able to use the limited freebies and will always love PicMonkey!

Nikki
  • Industry: Photography

Affordable photo editing software

Reviewed on 29/07/2022

I successfully edited many photos with picmonkey, and I created social media ads for my business.
While there weren't as many tools as I wanted and the library wasnt as vast as I would like, I was happy with the outcome of my work on Picmonkey. I created our first logo with Picmonkey and customers complimented me on it many times.

Pros

Picmonkey provides most basic photo editing tools, crop, filter, collage maker, etc.
A library of templates is available, to edit templates a drag and drop feature is provided. There is a faunt library and text can be manipulated with shadowing or curvature.
Cloud storage is available and your Picmonkey files can be accessed from any device when you log in.
Files can be shared to most social media or through email.
Picmonkey is not hard to use, customer support is provided. Updates and improvements are made occasionally, recently background remover was added.

Cons

Picmonkey does not rank high for me in tools or library quality.
I have used other software with many more editing tools provided, and more options within those tools (for example more filters in the filter tool).
To download any of your work you'll need to pay for a subscription. The cheaper subscription on Picmonkey provides the same as the free version of other software.

Visme and FotoJet

Reasons for Choosing PicMonkey

My business temporarily came upon a time of financial strain and I needed a low cost alternative. Picmonkey listed many of the tools I needed for a lower price.

Adobe Photoshop

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

Picmonkey was rated easy to use. I needed the new product to be something I could learn quickly as my business is dependent on this kind of software.
Alexander

Works for basic photo editing. There are more robust graphics software

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

Pros

Free & browser-accessible. Works for basics of image editing

Cons

Beyond filters and effects, there are limited photo editing tools

Nsanzabaganwa
  • Industry: Publishing

Great video, photo editing and design software on the go.

Reviewed on 24/06/2022

Pros

Intuitive interface and clean.
Software is light and load faster for such advanced editing features which tend to make software heavy.
Collaborative editing is the favourable. In this era of working from home, gig-based jobs, it makes it easy for a team to collaborate without wasting time and space to be together.
Unlimited cloud storage for pro and business plans

Cons

Basic plan has very few features. Others need pro and business plans.
I would add the ability to upload fonts in basic plan.

andrea

PicMonkey is a wonderful tool!

Reviewed on 19/07/2022

I have had a wonderful experience. I have used PicMonkey for the last 5 years. I have seen it transform over the years, becoming even better than what it use to be. I like to see these improvements!

Pros

PicMonkey is user friendly and can be used for an array of services! I love how many different templates and fitted sizes there are to choose from!

Cons

The filters are not the best. I think there should be an option to buy filters from professional photographers, kind of like how you can do it on lightroom.
Profressional filters would make this software untouchable!

Kathryn

Novice user

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

I use PicMonkey for my website, Airbnb, Facebook, Google business, ect...

Pros

Love the smart resize and removing the background

Cons

There are a few more smart resizes that could be used but I just use the custom feature and resize pictures according to their dimensions they allow for pictures

Fool-Proof Photo Editing Software for All Skill Levels

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

PicMonkey is a very affordable photo editing software and a cost-effective alternative to more complex programs like Photoshop.

Pros

PicMonkey is a photo editing tool that is super easy to use and has great capabilities. I have PhotoShop but I often use PicMonkey instead because it is easier and faster to use.

Cons

There isn't anything I would change about PicMonkey. It would be cool if you could integrate it with other software like Canva so it could be an all in one program.

Ashley

PicMonkey is the BEST

Reviewed on 01/07/2022

Over I give it a 10/10 it does what none of the other editing apps do and with excellent quality

Pros

The watermarking is probably my favorite feature of this software. I can completely erase anything I want from any photo without it destroying the photo.

Cons

Sometimes the editing features are a bit slow and takes awhile to upload but other than that it’s a great software.

Noelle
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

love this app great for networking with friends

Reviewed on 21/06/2022

wonderful software and very happy with all aspects

Pros

ease of use, good support a great software!

Cons

happy with all aspects, ease to use not complicated at all

Anilu

I feel like a professional designer XD

Reviewed on 06/07/2022

Pros

It is very easy to use, you can create wonderful designs in simple ways that have great quality and the features are very complete!

Cons

The price for the membership as I do not use it as often to really take advantage of the price I would be paying. But i have tried the premium version due to a free trial and I have to say it is very good.

JAZE
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Images Turn Out Lovely When Using PicMonkey

Reviewed on 03/09/2021

There are so many templates to play around with that I literally have to dedicate a whole day to picking out which one does it for me the most. PicMonkey bought out the photo-editing genius in me that I never knew existed because I usually take video-editing seriously, photos were never really my thing but now they totally are.

Pros

I have been making amazing photo projects as of late with this software. I upload my image into the program, I fine-tune my exposure settings, I add an effect or two just to see how much better my image can become, then I just play around with some of their touch-up tools to make the image really stand out and Voilà, I got me a masterpiece.

Cons

Something bizarre keeps happening when I use PicMonkey though. It just freezes. In making sure that it wasn't anything on my end I tried it on 3 different PCs and the the same result would happen eventually. One time it happened when I was working on an image for about 3 hours, of course silly me, I hadn't saved my work yet so I had to start all over again which was a huge bummer. They might want to look into that.

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Reasons for Choosing PicMonkey

I have used Canva on a number of occasions and have always had fun with it, but not to the level of fun I had when I started using PicMonkey. I usually use Canva for specific tasks like creating a banner for my YouTube channel or making a quick logo, PicMonkey is so much more than that, I really enjoy using it for collages.

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

I saw GIMP as more of a technical approach when it came to photo-editing, sort of what like Photoshop is and that was not my intention when I was looking for a new photo-editing program. I needed something more playful and less difficult than that.
Julia
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Most user friendly, inexpensive image software

Reviewed on 06/07/2021

Excellent, user friendly, great value for the fee, all in one place media tool. Love working with Picmonkey and won’t use anything else!

Pros

The image and video gallery is excellent. It has a diverse set of content and we use it daily. They keep up to date with what is happening around the world and have images and video footage that we can then use in our social media and web presence. The tools are very user friendly and we love the new features that Picmonkey keeps adding to our account; remove background tool, fill text with image etc. , sound for some of the video and more. We love the Effects and Texture features because quite literally in 2 seconds you can change the feel or ambiance of a photo just by adding one of these filters. The photo edit feature is great for the money you pay. Not everyone has the time to sit and use Adobe or Lightroom etc. and navigate through the 1000’s of edit properties. Picmonkey has made edits super easy and gives you the tools you use the most in an easy to find and easy to use format. We also really like the templates already set up for us. IF we want to do just an instagram post, the template and sizing is right there and they have templates for text available just for instagram. They have taken the guess work out and made is extremely simple. For people like us who are not educated in Media etc. this is a game changer. We don’t have a large organization so we can not afford to pay a Social media or online communications expert, we do the work ourselves. So keeping it simple is key.

Cons

It would be better if multiple images could be shared instead of one by one. A more diverse set of graphics would be helpful. For example: basic icons for construction, church, Christmas would be helpful.

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) and BeFunky

Reasons for Choosing PicMonkey

It took hours to edit images in Adobe and Lightroom whereas in picmonkey it takes minutes. Unless I really need to spend a lot of time and edits working on a photo, Picmonkey is a better solution for me.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

Preferred the ease and style, didn’t want to use something free as it slows my computer down, and I get unwanted ads etc. Didn’t want to pay for adobe Lightroom and creative cloud because it took over my computer and it kept crashing. It also took hours to navigate through.
Ali

Real-time collaboration Photo Editing Tool with Cloud Storage!

Reviewed on 21/02/2021

PicMonkey has Everything for advertising, creating visual content, and creating brand new graphical posts on social media pages. Beautiful graphics have made our site content and social media pages much more impressive and have caused our site visitors to be much more and this has increased our sales and orders.

Pros

The ability to remove background with just one click and the use of artificial intelligence for better performance of photo editing is very lovable and practical for me. The brand Kit feature is awesome, when I have uploaded the company logo and font, PicMonkey creates a full pack company brand kit with everything we need from A to Z. PicMonkey has everything I need to edit and produce visual content, a database of thousands of ready-to-use commercial stock photos, thousands of pre-made templates and fonts, email templates, collage boxes and everything I need. Also, the ability to store files and images in the cloud is very important and useful.

Cons

The features that are available in the desktop version are not available in the mobile version and are better than the features of all versions, also the ability to edit very large photos with large files should be added to the software. In general, the rest of the facilities are good and acceptable.

Reasons for Choosing PicMonkey

In previous Softwares and Applications, missing storage capabilities in the cloud, as well as ready prebuilt templates and stock images were not as much as what we have now at PicMonkey.

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

Various features such as the ability to work in groups on Photos at the same time (Realtime Collaboration), as well as highly intelligent artificial, which has made the work much better for editing photos.
Abigail
  • Industry: Executive Office

Awesome graphic and picture editing software

Reviewed on 23/06/2021

I really love using PicMonkey it is my go to graphic design tool. I use it for online graphics as well as designing print graphics.

Pros

I love that I can use the transparent background feature and make logos. I also love the fact that I can edit pictures right in the system while I'm creating, fixing blemishes, adjusting coloring and so many helpful tools are at your fingertips.

Cons

Picture edits are not completely customizable and you can't use presets like LightRoom to edit pictures.

Response from PicMonkey

Hi Abigail. We appreciate your review of PicMonkey - thank you! Wanted you to know that there are a few ways you can customize your edits. You can paint on/erase off an effect so it only affects a particular area of your image, you have a fade control, and quite a few of our effects have sliders to customize your look. For example, Blur has Focal Size, Edge Hardness, and Blur percentage sliders; Arcade has 6 sliders; and Posterize has 5 sliders, to name a few. Secondly, one of the biggies for people who really want to create a unique look for their images is the group within Edits called "Advanced Edits." There you'll find Color Changer, Clone, Dodge, Burn, and -- these ones are the heavy lifters -- Levels and Curves. Hope you try these, and please reach out to our Support department if you have questions. https://www.picmonkey.com/help/create-ticket

Wendy
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Love PicMonkey!

Reviewed on 12/02/2019

I use PicMonkey for simple text images to make something stand out nicely on a web page or even Facebook. I love quotes and other text on Photos (meme) and enjoy playing to make things eye catching... even just the text itself!

Pros

I've used PicMonkey for years now. Who needs Photosh** (yeah I said that) when you've got PicMonkey?
Yes, maybe if you are a professional making a living from images... but most of us aren't.

Seriously... their tutorials are short and to the point, so I can do a quick search and learn whatever I need to do with an image for my small biz. They have quick images, oodles of fonts, backgrounds and more. They have lots of templates for people who need help with graphics or want a quick idea to get the project moving quicker.

Some things you can do:

-- You can use several images in a collage.
-- You can erase the background so a person can be kinda cut out of the background and added to any image or used in many different ways.
-- Cut out an image in a shape -- like a star for Valentine's Day (2 days away).
-- Make Instagram stories.
-- You can do weird things like swapping two peoples faces in a photo (weird but true)... never did that one but read the tut recently!
-- You can edit photos -- edit blemishes out, add make up, whiten teeth, color hair.
-- Change a photo into an image that looks drawn.

I also might see an image (like on Ancestry) that I need... and can capture a quick screenshot with the Chrome app. Quick editing, add text, arrows, whatever. No, I'm not violating copyrights, just images of ancestors etc.

My work is saved to the cloud so I can easily find and re-use in some manner (with edits).

Cons

Honestly, I can't imagine what I'd need that PicMonkey can't do.

• Industry: Entertainment

Easy-to-Use Picture Editing with Tons of Features

Reviewed on 12/09/2018

With the help of PicMonkey, my blogs are more interesting and well-received. It has helped me to gain several hundred followers and make new friends.

Pros

I blog, with lots of pictures. I tried to learn Adobe's picture software, and it was just way too much work for me. PicMonkey is mostly intuitive. There are two features I especially like: When all I want is to correct color, brighten, etc., I use the first option called "Auto Adjust." That usually does the trick and I am ready to export and post the picture. The second feature involves cutting something out of a second picture to add to the original. Just click on the "graphics" butterfly on the left side, then use the "add your own" feature. It will bring in whatever picture you choose from several sources and give you the option to erase anything you don't want in the picture, then place what's left where you want it in the original. Very nice.
Additionally, there is a good collage section with lots of choices. I also like that a picture can be saved to PicMonkey to be changed again or added to a collage. They also have "Touch Up" and "Design" sections that I have not used.

Cons

PicMonkey does not have drag and drop. It would be easier if they would add this feature because I am so used to doing things that way. I also wish that I could jump from Picture Editing to Collage without exiting first.

Crystal
  • Industry: Wholesale

Fast, Efficient Slides

Reviewed on 09/09/2019

With PicMonkey I have been able to crop and collage photos, as well as add fonts and stickers to make many useful graphics for my business.

Pros

This software makes it simple for the entry level user to identify different elements of editing and create wonderful slides and photo grids. There is a free trial version, but you can pay for a subscription for access to extra features. It saves work and makes it simple for anyone to use this. As a business owner who sells various products and also runs promotions, I find it a fast solution to make collages as well as sale flyers. You can also download your own fonts or backgrounds to use within the system or have access to a variety of others as well.

Cons

I think this software would benefit from additional features, such as resizing photos easily, as there are times you are limited to the type of work you can do if your uploaded photo is not within the size parameters. I would also like to see more editing options, to retouch photos in more advanced ways, for facial perfection or to color certain areas on black and white photo easily.

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

PicMonkey has many features in one place so that I am not having to upload and download multiple times to achieve the final product.
Barry

PicMonkey Review

Reviewed on 12/10/2019

If I am looking for a quick basic fix (or if I am being slightly lazy), then PicMonkey can be the ideal solution. It may not have all of the bells and whistles that larger, more powerful software can offer, but for the price and ease of use, it does offer fair value for money.

I recommend this for the beginner rather than a graphic designer.

Pros

PicMonkey is a simple to use piece of software that allows for basic photo editing without the complexities of other software on the market. The changes are instant and it is clearly designed to be used even by those with no previous experience of photo editing.

Their tools menu comes down the side of your screen, and it is easy to find what you are looking for once you get used to the layout. There are various options

The software comes with easy to use templates with you then able to edit them accordingly, and they do provide you with a good base to start from. Once again, I feel that this makes life easier for those individuals just starting out with creating graphics and learning all about how to use layers to create an end product.

The software is not power-hungry, so if your computer is lacking in the processor or memory area then you will not have a problem running PicMonkey. Also, with everything done via their website, there's no software to download meaning everything is kept up to date.

Cons

While they can be fun, there are a number of more cartoon-like effects. Also, the company did change the layout of the backend which made it slightly less usable in my opinion. However, they do provide you with the option of reverting back to the old way of doing things, so it's not a big deal.

Michelle
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Make your photos stand out!

Reviewed on 22/03/2021

You can specifically edit your Facebook cover photo or even photos for intended Instagram posts with PicMonkey. Social media isn't going away anytime soon and it is fun to make your photos look the best they possibly can.

Pros

There are many photo editing programs out there and I have certainly tried a lot of them. I have to say that PicMonkey is by far my favorite. It is a great program for beginners, or anyone who really hasn't edited photos before. You do not need any previous experience of photo editing to be able to use PicMonkey.

I have an online business and I have used PicMonkey to create banners, crop and edit photos of my product, as well as add fonts. I love that you can import your own fonts. It allows you to make whatever you are creating much more customizable and to tailor it to your preference. The "Auto Adjust" feature works great to fix a photo that needs the color corrected or brightened with a single click.

I use PicMonkey to create the flyer I put in each product I ship out and I have received some excellent feedback on the quality of the photos on this flyer. I use the collage feature specifically, allowing me to have the maximum number of pictures of different products for sale on a single page. I have been able to edit my photos from simple to eyecatching with this software.

I have also used PicMonkey to edit family photos and upload them to create calendars. This past Christmas I created two calendars this way and they were great Christmas presents for my parents and in-laws.

Cons

You only get a 7 day trial before you have to commit to purchase. Another con is that you can only upload or download images one at a time. If I am trying to upload multiple photos onto a template, there is no option to choose all 30 at once and I think they should fix this feature.

Joseph
  • Industry: Printing

Great online photo editor that's perfect...almost!

Reviewed on 24/10/2018

PicMonkey is a great piece of software perfect for most of our photo editing needs. If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative that's easy to use and cost effective...this could be your solution!

Pros

My wife and I were both blogging and found ourselves regularly needed photo editing software to create eye-catching pictures for our blogs. We tried several options but none of them worked well for both of us until we found PicMonkey.

The features PicMonkey offers are super robust and allow for a maximum amount of creativity. But best of all, the user interface is simple so that accessing all of its powerful features doesn't require hours of training and repeat use.

After we began using it, we realized that it was a great tool for all sorts of photo editing projects, from kid/family pics to Facebook cover photo and Instagram posts. All-in-all, it's a great piece of software and the app gives mobile function that is nearly as powerful as the online browser tool.

Cons

The biggest (and really, only) con to this software is that it's very difficult to work with more than one picture at a time. There were times I really wanted to overlay or compare or crop two different pictures for one project and the PicMonkey interface doesn't really make that possible. For the most part, this wasn't a huge problem for us, though occasionally I had to create one image, save it, then import it as a new image in order to add another layer of creative editing. It's not a huge problem most of the time, but it did come up from time-to-time.

karima
  • Industry: Design

I love PicMonkey

Reviewed on 30/03/2019

I use PicMonkey for straightforward content pictures to make something emerge pleasantly on a website page or even Facebook. I adore cites and other content on Photos and appreciate playing to make things eye getting... indeed, even only the content itself ,and I use PicMonkey for designing solicitations, declarations, and different printables. Before, if the webpage solidified or I lost web association, I'd lose my work. At the point when the center was presented, that issue was settled and that made PicMonkey my go to for my designing needs.

Pros

I like about PicMonkey that it is anything but difficult to utilize notwithstanding for clients with zero information on photograph altering. You can overlook other expert editors with a gazillion choices that you will never require. PicMonkey has all that you truly requirement for altering your family or expert pictures. It doesn't utilize specialized names in their catches, rather they utilize normal language which I adore.

Cons

I don't care for the way that they used to have a free client record and now they don't. You have 7 days free preliminary and after that you have to get one of their choices or leave. The cost is just justified, despite all the trouble in the event that you intend to utilize it a great deal.

Brian
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Great Cross-browser Platform for Photo and Image-editing Anytime and Anywhere!

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

Overall, PicMonkey is still a useful and great tool. For the untrained in graphic arts, it is going to be easy, fast to pick up with given tutorials and tips readily available within PicMonkey. You can work anywhere and anytime on any browser on any OS platforms without having to worry about compatibility issues on software and hardware. It should be a smooth ride!

Pros

Personally, I had used PhotoShop and many other graphic tools. PicMonkey is one of them as well. I do find it a fantastic tool, second to Canva. (other more popular online graphic design tool) It also has got an affordable price point compared to Canva or Snappa. (another less popular graphic editing tool) If you don't want to invest too much on a heavy-duty program like PhotoShop that contains a lot of features, PicMonkey maybe a better alternative for you. It contains a slick and fast user interface to work with. It also has got less functions than PhotoShop, but it is easy to use and master the basics. Moreover, it offers great flexibility in terms of opening up images saving them from various storage media.

Cons

PicMonkey offers only a miserable 7-day trial. I was hoping they would give us a longer trial period. At the least, a 14-day trial will be so much better. Well, freebies always come with constraints, I guess. And also that banner advertisements in the software interface that can distract your attention if you are using a FREE account. I also discovered that there is no upload of custom logos or graphics option in the software. As you will experience, anything that is designed to give you great productivity and ease of use, will limit your customisation needs and constrain your workflows and ideas. E.g. I found that moving and placing images are constrained by the nodes (points) of the selected object or text. It is not so free and flexible compared to doing the same thing in PhotoShop though.

Adam
  • Industry: Design
  • Used for 1+ year

Fantastic Web Based Design Functionality

Reviewed on 04/01/2020

I loved using PicMonkey when I managed another organization because I could delegate design projects to temporary workers or volunteers and they were able run with it. It is solid program for quick and dirty design projects. It is probably my favorite out of similar type programs.

Pros

Picmonkey is great for creative projects if you want a web based program. I like the functionality of using the browser or app, sharing a company account, syncing projects with colleagues and more. It offers many simple solutions that make using it quick and easy.

Cons

I ultimately left Picmonkey because I needed more robust design functionality so I embraced Adobe Illustrator.

Adobe Illustrator

Picmonkey is better

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

I didn't want to teach everyone Illustrator and Picmonkey was a viable solution.
Sue
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Great photo editing

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

I used PicMonkey for my business photos. I sold jewelry online so it was imperative my photos were spot on, showed the actual color and texture of the pieces, didn't have shadows or blemishes in the background. I could crop and add text such as sizes or special features. I can enhance a models lip or eye color and add sparkle or a multitude of other features available. Change the exposure, enhance certain colors, make black and white, resize and sharpen images and rotate photos.

This software does so much more than I used it for but it certainly covered all the bases when it came to what I needed. And the price is unbeatable when it comes to editing software.

Pros

No download so it can be used without taking up PC space. The vast amount of editing features are great for business and personal use, kids love it too. There really isn't anything I couldn't do of fix. Import photos to make collages, add text, change backgrounds, fix photos or just jazz up an image. It was easy to learn unlike so many of the expensive editor software and the price is great.

Cons

There's limited help although some of the features have tips available as you use them.

• Industry: Civil Engineering

Be a professional image editor with picmonkey

Reviewed on 31/07/2019

Overall picmonkey is simply superb. I like it alot. I can do editing in picmonkey the all day and I never get tired of it. I highly suggest this software to all the people who are interested in image editing work.

Pros

This is an amazing image editor so far I have encountered. Apart from my career photography and editing is one of my passion. Picmonkey made my passion come true. This software is very useful for the youtubers and bloggers who frequently work with pictures and image editing. There is a facility of using free trial for 7 days then you can decide. And also its less costly compared to other image editing softwares. There is base and pro plans for bill payment you can subscribe to one which is convenient. Picmonkey is compatible with mobiles,Android and computers. So you can edint the pictures on the go. And also there is cloud service where you can store the edited pictures.

Cons

There are very few flaws in this software. Specially it glitches when I try to use it in the computer. And also I prefer if we get proper instructions within this software.