PicMonkey

4.5 (1,133)
Write a Review!
Photo editing and design tools designed to elevate brands

(1,133)
4.5/5

Mohamed
Mohamed

I am very satisfied about PicMonkey because it has helped me to grow my online business.

Reviewed on 26/04/2023

Today editing pictures should be intuitive and fast. And PicMonkey provides these 2 needs !

Pros

PicMonkey is among my best editing software. Easy to use and helps me to build the branding of my online business. Thank you very much !

Cons

To be honest i am satisfied about all PicMonkey features and services. Keep going well !!!

Desygner and VistaCreate

The curiosity.

The price.
Nikki
  • Industry: Photography

Affordable photo editing software

Reviewed on 29/07/2022

I successfully edited many photos with picmonkey, and I created social media ads for my business....

While there weren't as many tools as I wanted and the library wasnt as vast as I would like, I was happy with the outcome of my work on Picmonkey. I created our first logo with Picmonkey and customers complimented me on it many times.

Pros

Picmonkey provides most basic photo editing tools, crop, filter, collage maker, etc.
A library of templates is available, to edit templates a drag and drop feature is provided. There is a faunt library and text can be manipulated with shadowing or curvature.
Cloud storage is available and your Picmonkey files can be accessed from any device when you log in.
Files can be shared to most social media or through email.
Picmonkey is not hard to use, customer support is provided. Updates and improvements are made occasionally, recently background remover was added.

Cons

Picmonkey does not rank high for me in tools or library quality.
I have used other software with many more editing tools provided, and more options within those tools (for example more filters in the filter tool).
To download any of your work you'll need to pay for a subscription. The cheaper subscription on Picmonkey provides the same as the free version of other software.

Visme and FotoJet

Reasons for Choosing PicMonkey

My business temporarily came upon a time of financial strain and I needed a low cost alternative. Picmonkey listed many of the tools I needed for a lower price.

Adobe Photoshop

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

Picmonkey was rated easy to use. I needed the new product to be something I could learn quickly as my business is dependent on this kind of software.

Good tool for creating

Reviewed on 31/08/2020

Overall my experience started out great with PicMonkey but then I found Canva and was able to create more with that software.

Pros

This is a good tool to use to create social media posts, documents and presentations with icons and graphics. Very user friendly as well.

Cons

It seemed to have its limitations creatively. I ended up switching over to Canva to create my social media posts.

Julia
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Most user friendly, inexpensive image software

Reviewed on 06/07/2021

Excellent, user friendly, great value for the fee, all in one place media tool. Love working with Picmonkey and won’t use anything else!

Pros

The image and video gallery is excellent. It has a diverse set of content and we use it daily. They keep up to date with what is happening around the world and have images and video footage that we can then use in our social media and web presence. The tools are very user friendly and we love the new features that Picmonkey keeps adding to our account; remove background tool, fill text with image etc. , sound for some of the video and more. We love the Effects and Texture features because quite literally in 2 seconds you can change the feel or ambiance of a photo just by adding one of these filters. The photo edit feature is great for the money you pay. Not everyone has the time to sit and use Adobe or Lightroom etc. and navigate through the 1000’s of edit properties. Picmonkey has made edits super easy and gives you the tools you use the most in an easy to find and easy to use format. We also really like the templates already set up for us. IF we want to do just an instagram post, the template and sizing is right there and they have templates for text available just for instagram. They have taken the guess work out and made is extremely simple. For people like us who are not educated in Media etc. this is a game changer. We don’t have a large organization so we can not afford to pay a Social media or online communications expert, we do the work ourselves. So keeping it simple is key.

Cons

It would be better if multiple images could be shared instead of one by one. A more diverse set of graphics would be helpful. For example: basic icons for construction, church, Christmas would be helpful.

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) and BeFunky

Reasons for Choosing PicMonkey

It took hours to edit images in Adobe and Lightroom whereas in picmonkey it takes minutes. Unless I really need to spend a lot of time and edits working on a photo, Picmonkey is a better solution for me.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

Preferred the ease and style, didn’t want to use something free as it slows my computer down, and I get unwanted ads etc. Didn’t want to pay for adobe Lightroom and creative cloud because it took over my computer and it kept crashing. It also took hours to navigate through.
Crystal
  • Industry: Wholesale

Fast, Efficient Slides

Reviewed on 09/09/2019

With PicMonkey I have been able to crop and collage photos, as well as add fonts and stickers to make many useful graphics for my business.

Pros

This software makes it simple for the entry level user to identify different elements of editing and create wonderful slides and photo grids. There is a free trial version, but you can pay for a subscription for access to extra features. It saves work and makes it simple for anyone to use this. As a business owner who sells various products and also runs promotions, I find it a fast solution to make collages as well as sale flyers. You can also download your own fonts or backgrounds to use within the system or have access to a variety of others as well.

Cons

I think this software would benefit from additional features, such as resizing photos easily, as there are times you are limited to the type of work you can do if your uploaded photo is not within the size parameters. I would also like to see more editing options, to retouch photos in more advanced ways, for facial perfection or to color certain areas on black and white photo easily.

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

PicMonkey has many features in one place so that I am not having to upload and download multiple times to achieve the final product.
Mohammed

Achieve professional results with amateur level editing skills

Reviewed on 20/07/2021

With PicMonkey, I am able to create the most amazing and engaging content for our community outreach programs. It was courtesy PicMonkey that I chanced upon my graphic designing side hustle -- when some banners I had created with PicMonkey was such a huge hit that I was contracted by our project partners to create same for them. And it's been one satisfied client after another since then.

Pros

The best thing about picmonkey is the ease of use. The very user-friendly interface combines perfectly with a well stocked media library to enable me churn out graphic content in the shortest possible time. Our team presentations and marketing emails have never been boring since I started using PicMonkey to design content materials.

Cons

I am still hoping an advanced version will be released with more advanced editing and video-work tools for the much heavier projects. But I guess the current version was created for the niche market of unsophisticated graphic design work.

Holly
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Love Pic Monkey.

Reviewed on 12/05/2020

Totally happy and satisfied. By far the best photo editing app around.

Totally happy and satisfied. By far the best photo editing app around.

Pros

Out of all the photo editing apps, PicMonkey is my favorite. I used to use the free trial and just signed up for a paid account. I love that I can import my own fonts -- and you can even do that on the free trial.

Cons

I do wish the monthly fee was a little cheaper. It is a bit steep but still worth it if you are going to use it everyday. It is a bit annoying that you can't download on the free trial, though.

Olivia
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

I couldn't do without it!

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

Pros

This is seriously the best graphic design application for the cost available. I make phenomenal book cover graphics using this software, but also simpler social media sharing graphics. First rate all around.

Cons

Occasionally the site crashes or gets glitchy. Otherwise, great product!

Used to be a lot better

Reviewed on 08/04/2021

I was making advertisements and photo collages for Facebook for a small jewelry business.

Pros

I like that I can make fun photo collages and ads for the jewelry store where I work without paying for it.

Cons

I feel like when I first started using PicMonkey you could do a lot more for free, and now you have to pay for it. Although at 7.99 a month it isn't too pricey if you're using it frequently.

Meg
Meg
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Don't Love, Don't Hate

Reviewed on 18/02/2022

Not great, not terrible. Easy for someone starting out in brand management.

Not great, not terrible. Easy for someone starting out in brand management.

Pros

Easy to use, customizable templates, modern designs.

Cons

The mobile app is terrible. Sole reason I switched from PicMonkey to a different service.

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

Price. Switched after about a year due to their mobile app lacking comprehensive features.
Molly
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Basic Filters for Simple Projects

Reviewed on 21/04/2021

It's easy to use, has tons of options, and isn't super costly. However, it's pretty basic, so if you want higher quality editing, I don't think it's worth it.

Pros

I liked how many filter options there are, how easy it is to use, and how quickly it works. I used it mostly for photo editing with the filter options.

Cons

The free trial is nice, but so so many features are paid. It's not super expensive, but if I wanted a good photo editor, I'd shell out for PhotoShop or something else. I just didn't think it was worth the money for our company.

Gravit Designer Pro

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

The free trial had the options we needed at the time.

Response from Shutterstock

Thank you for your carefully considered review, Molly. We wanted you to know that you can do TONS of super sophisticated looks, for your photos or designs, in PicMonkey. Have a look at the articles in our Resource Center, here: https://www.picmonkey.com/blog

Barry

PicMonkey Review

Reviewed on 12/10/2019

If I am looking for a quick basic fix (or if I am being slightly lazy), then PicMonkey can be the ideal solution. It may not have all of the bells and whistles that larger, more powerful software can offer, but for the price and ease of use, it does offer fair value for money.

I recommend this for the beginner rather than a graphic designer.

Pros

PicMonkey is a simple to use piece of software that allows for basic photo editing without the complexities of other software on the market. The changes are instant and it is clearly designed to be used even by those with no previous experience of photo editing.

Their tools menu comes down the side of your screen, and it is easy to find what you are looking for once you get used to the layout. There are various options

The software comes with easy to use templates with you then able to edit them accordingly, and they do provide you with a good base to start from. Once again, I feel that this makes life easier for those individuals just starting out with creating graphics and learning all about how to use layers to create an end product.

The software is not power-hungry, so if your computer is lacking in the processor or memory area then you will not have a problem running PicMonkey. Also, with everything done via their website, there's no software to download meaning everything is kept up to date.

Cons

While they can be fun, there are a number of more cartoon-like effects. Also, the company did change the layout of the backend which made it slightly less usable in my opinion. However, they do provide you with the option of reverting back to the old way of doing things, so it's not a big deal.

Joseph
Joseph
  • Industry: Printing

Great online photo editor that's perfect...almost!

Reviewed on 24/10/2018

PicMonkey is a great piece of software perfect for most of our photo editing needs. If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative that's easy to use and cost effective...this could be your solution!

Pros

My wife and I were both blogging and found ourselves regularly needed photo editing software to create eye-catching pictures for our blogs. We tried several options but none of them worked well for both of us until we found PicMonkey.

The features PicMonkey offers are super robust and allow for a maximum amount of creativity. But best of all, the user interface is simple so that accessing all of its powerful features doesn't require hours of training and repeat use.

After we began using it, we realized that it was a great tool for all sorts of photo editing projects, from kid/family pics to Facebook cover photo and Instagram posts. All-in-all, it's a great piece of software and the app gives mobile function that is nearly as powerful as the online browser tool.

Cons

The biggest (and really, only) con to this software is that it's very difficult to work with more than one picture at a time. There were times I really wanted to overlay or compare or crop two different pictures for one project and the PicMonkey interface doesn't really make that possible. For the most part, this wasn't a huge problem for us, though occasionally I had to create one image, save it, then import it as a new image in order to add another layer of creative editing. It's not a huge problem most of the time, but it did come up from time-to-time.

Juliet

The PicMonkey Designing Tool Review: Features, Pros and Cons.

Reviewed on 01/11/2022

PicMonkey was the first designing app that I used before trying others for branding and the creation of graphics for my websites. I created some of my logos and blog images in PicMonkey. I found it to be frustrating when you're creating presentations and you miss some keys when typing, so the best option is to type the text elsewhere and paste it in. When I discovered Canva, I found PicMonkey was lacking some of the features found in Canva and I could not also pay for two subscriptions. I chose Canva instead.

Pros

PicMonkey is a simple to use app especially when editing images. What I like most about PicMonkey is being able to see the color hex on any element just by hovering on top of it. Its a cool feature when it comes to blending colors in elements. PicMonkey also lets you see the exact size of the element you're working on and it can resize it for you automatically. PicMonkey has more tools for touching up images such as airbrush and smoother that you don't find in other apps.

Cons

PicMonkey has less elements than other apps such as Canva. Their graphics are limited and at times you are forced to source them elsewhere. PicMonkey does not have a lot of customized elements although they have been adding them on but they are still lagging behind compared to other apps like Canva. The basic version does not allow you to crop photos so you have to upgrade. PicMonkey is a bit slow when you type quickly inside the app, you can miss some keystrokes.

• Industry: Civil Engineering

Be a professional image editor with picmonkey

Reviewed on 31/07/2019

Overall picmonkey is simply superb. I like it alot. I can do editing in picmonkey the all day and I never get tired of it. I highly suggest this software to all the people who are interested in image editing work.

Pros

This is an amazing image editor so far I have encountered. Apart from my career photography and editing is one of my passion. Picmonkey made my passion come true. This software is very useful for the youtubers and bloggers who frequently work with pictures and image editing. There is a facility of using free trial for 7 days then you can decide. And also its less costly compared to other image editing softwares. There is base and pro plans for bill payment you can subscribe to one which is convenient. Picmonkey is compatible with mobiles,Android and computers. So you can edint the pictures on the go. And also there is cloud service where you can store the edited pictures.

Cons

There are very few flaws in this software. Specially it glitches when I try to use it in the computer. And also I prefer if we get proper instructions within this software.

Jannatin
Jannatin
  • Industry: Chemicals

Need a quick edit! You've got it!

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Overall, PicMonkey was a great experience and still continues to be one of the best sites I use to quickly make image edits and design from anywhere and on any device. I highly recommend this for beginners in editing as well since everything is clear and you can easily click through whatever options they have to choose what you want to use to edit with!

Pros

PicMonkey is the most easiest tool I've use to this date to make quick and simple graphic edits. I even get to edit my images, make them pop, add text, and more! I can make things with their templates or I can easily make stuff out of scratch. There is so much you can do with this software and everything is in large and easy to navigate through so you could get the best out of it when editing.

Cons

A lot of features to make your photos even better require a monthly membership, but I'll be honest, it is worth it. There is so much you can do with or without the membership but I enjoyed using this so much I just got it anyway.

Great for quick and easy design projects - Extremely User Friendly!!

Reviewed on 06/02/2020

Overall, PicMonkey has helped streamline our design process inhouse. We use PicMonkey for easy projects that don't need to be done using PhotoShop.

Pros

PicMonkey has a ton of great templates to use for different types of projects. I have found the Instagram templates & the Email Header templates to be most useful for our company, but they have plenty of others (Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, Logo, etc.)! When I am hitting a design wall it's easy for me to jump in to PicMonkey for templates or even just for inspiration! They also have a great selection of fonts to choose from.

Cons

I would like the option to be able upload or download images in bulk. For example, if I am uploading multiple photos into a template, I have to do so one at a time. Or if I created multiple social media posts that need to be downloaded, I have to do so one at a time. When I am creating 30+ posts for the month, that can be time consuming.

Affordable Phot Editing Software Compared to the Big Names Out There

Reviewed on 18/08/2022

Overall, I'm happy with this software. User-friendly and all.

Overall, I'm happy with this software. User-friendly and all.

Pros

Saves me money and still gets the job done compared to some of the known alternatives which I won't touch on. This is much easier and faster to use.

Cons

You may encounter issues with the login options, other than that, it's a beast!

Jean
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Old version was better!

Reviewed on 08/02/2020

I have loved being able to crop, enhance, watermark via graphics, clone, and generally make my photos look professional despite being taken by an amateur using a simple point-and-shoot. This was all on the old version. The new version is complicated and I have given up on it.

Pros

When I started using it years ago, it was SO user-friendly. I am not computer savy, and other free or paid applications were beyond my comprehension. After about a year with Pic Monkey, I upgraded to the paid version which gave me even more easy to use features. The old Pic Monkey is straightforward, easy to use, and does an excellent job for my hobby of photography and blogging. This is no longer the case...see cons.

Cons

I absolutely hate the new version as it seems to be geared to two things: businesses, and those that have no creativity and want ready-made templates. I have tried the new version and could not figure out how to do the basic things I like to do, things that were so simple on the old version. It is no longer user friendly, and has far too many ready-made things that seem pointless. I am currently fishing around for other simple, low cost systems and will leave Pic Monkey once the old version is no longer available.

Great for Designing

Reviewed on 02/01/2019

I primarily use PicMonkey for designing invitations, announcements, and other printables. In the past, if the site froze or I lost internet connection, I'd lose my work. When the hub was introduced, that problem was resolved and that made PicMonkey my go to for my designing needs.

Pros

I love all the fonts and templates that are readily available. I primarily use PicMonkey for designing invitations, announcements, and other printables. I have a Hub where I can save my work to come back to later which is great. There is a small amount of space which helps keep me accountable so I don't have tons of files saved that I don't need. There are themes of graphics that are available that ARE SO DANG CUTE. I can upload my own clip art or images to add to a design and it recognizes any fonts I have installed. The program is very user friendly with the newest rollout. I love that you can scroll away from the canvas and put things off to the side instead of deleting them altogether.

Cons

I like the price the least. The price with the newest rollout is quite costly for what I use it for. Previously it was less than $50/year and I could justify that.

Abigail
Abigail

I use PicMoney Premium for my small business and website

Reviewed on 16/02/2018

They have templates available to help make infographics. I am sure someone with actual design experience would find the software limiting but for someone like me with no design experience, this is very helpful.

Pros

The editing software is not complicated to use. I can click through and work on a project without getting frustrated or confused like other more complicated software. I make create Pinterest images and edit images for my blog and website. I use the software so frequently that it was a no-brainer for me to upgrade to the paid membership though I did work for years on the free version. I like the extra editing tools I can use after having upgraded my membership. I run a small business and I am not sure I will need any other photo editing software!

Cherie
  • Industry: Music

PicMonkey Keeps Getting Better

Reviewed on 08/09/2020

I love using Pic Monkey. I use it to design t shirts, e-book pages, photo shop photographs, social media graphics and more. It's much easier to use than a pro editor like Adobe Photoshop. You can't go wrong with a premium membership. You get access to everything!

Pros

I have been a Pic Monkey user for a long time. They have transitioned with the changing times to offer more to their customers. I still love the opportunity to use the cloning tool in my photos. New feature I love is the transparent background for png images. The Best part of Pic Monkey is that everything on the site is available for commercial license use. I love this for creating items that I actually sell online.

Cons

I had been grandfathered in to a lower price basic membership. For a long time a paid membership was the premium membership. Now I have to pay even more, to get all the features I want. But I am because I use Pic Monkey all the time. Pic Monkey is similar to Canva, but there are enough photography tools that canva doesn't have that make a premium membership at both desirable.

Alice

You'll get the image edited before Photoshop has even opened!

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

A great tool giving excellent value for money and saving me hours of time. Love it!

Pros

Picmonkey is a great tool for photo editing and creating graphics. It's really quick to use and with a reasonable annual fee is one of my staple business tools.
You can upload your own images, fonts and graphics or use the extensive library provided. Picmonkey is intuitive to use.
The Picmonkey mobile app is also excellent and offers a few features that the main app doesn't yet support such as background removal.
The photo editing features are amazing... blows the competition out of the water and let's you quickly correct that picture that would have been perfect if only you could remove the crumb of cake on your cheek etc!

Cons

There are a couple of areas that Picmonkey is slightly behind the competition
- they don't have as many templates as some of their competitors but the range they do have is good and this can prevent overwhelm!
- They don't have the magic resize option that makes one image fit a range of social platforms.

• Industry: Online Media

Great for beginners!

Reviewed on 07/12/2019

PicMonkey was the perfect solution for me when I realized PhotoShop was way above my head. PicMonkey has allowed me to create beautiful images for my website, and edit photos to bring out the best lighting and color saturation.

Pros

I love how easy PicMonkey is to use. As someone who wanted to learn how to create graphics and images on my own, I was incredibly intimidated by Photoshop. PicMonkey was the solution I was looking for. I can do everything I can image in their program.

Cons

The only I do not like is that I am not able to access all the same features on my phone app that I can when I log in to the website.

Reasons for Choosing PicMonkey

PicMonkey was much easier for me to understand and use as a non-graphic designer.

Ease and Convenience
Mike
Mike

PicMonkey The Complete Online Photo Editor

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

PicMonkey is a complete photo editing tool with ease of access, minimal time to learn how to maximize learning how to create both edits and work with templates. PicMonkey has an amazing number of different effects all clearly laid out by category. Very complete editor. I would recommend purchasing this app as a fundamental tool for professional photo results.

Pros

PicMonkey is a complete photo editing tool that is easy to use and after the latest update has taken care of all of my photo editing needs. Work saves automatically in case of unexpected shut down.

Cons

In order to use this service completely it was necessary to pay to use this program. The free version is basically useless.