AIM

Cloud-based point of sale (POS) software for retailers

3.7/5
4.1/5
3.5/5
4.1/5

164 Software options

Bill H.

Great feature set and support. Very poorly implemented.

Reviewed on 26/01/2017

The product has features that no other has, especially for the musical instrument rental business. However, it is showing its age. The worst thing is that it wasn't written well even to standards that we had 30 years ago. (I started in the IT business in 1986.)

I would recommend it, with a great many warnings, to a musical instrument rental or similar company, but absolutely not to anyone else.

Pros

The feature set for the rent-to-own business is good. So far as we have been able to discover, there is no other product at any price that supports our business. (If there was, I would be on it like a duck on a June bug.)

The support staff is excellent!

Cons

I would have fired an experienced programmer or seriously chewed out a beginner 30 years ago if they designed a user interface that was so poorly implemented. You never know from screen to screen what you have to do to do a "find." Sometimes you have to hit Tab for the program to work, sometimes you have to hit Enter. The mere fact that in a good many places the programmers apparently elected to use the tab key or enter key events rather than the OnExit event is inexcusable. (Click the OK or Save button without first tabbing out of a field and there is a great chance that the changes to the field you were last in were not saved.) Things as simple as standard naming conventions for naming reports are just an example that someone either didn't understand design or didn't care. (The reports aren't in report name order because some inept person decided to put "Print" or "List" in front of the report name, thereby making the lists sort out without rhyme or reason. Having a table of variables to STORE system options is fine. It's even okay for a first release. However, how a system that has been on the market this long without having a user interface on said table indicates a huge lack of caring. The user interface flaws cannot be excused by the fact that the programs are old. The design flaws would not have been acceptable in a DOS or even a CP/M program.

The back end modules are simply sad. The fact that they decided to write the back end all over again in the new system that they plan to release someday indicates a huge lack of judgment. Why the devil would one reinvent the wheel, especially after doing such a poor job the first time around, when one could interface to any of several well-written, mature, user-friendly and well-supported G/L, A/P, A/R, etc. systems and focus on the specialized modules that make me use AIMsi to start with? (QuickBooks immediately comes to mind.) Doing so would save well into six figures of development cost, give one a solid base on which to build, and even give one a huge marketing opportunity by being an enhancement to a widely-used system rather than being a home-rolled thing. It would also give me some hope that the new release would be available in my lifetime. They are simply burning man-years of programming effort and stretching lead times unreasonably.

As bad as the G/L module is, their "Purchase Order" module simply boggles the mind. They make a sad effort to somehow combine P/O and Customer Order Processing while making both the COP features and the interface to A/P damned near unusable. One need only looks at the database design to see that whoever wrote the COP programs had never actually worked on one before. No Order Header and Order Line Item tables? Really? They sort of sludge everything together in something that they dreamed up from scratch. Even the terminology used for field names and labels is non-standard. "Picked" has a very well understood meaning in the COP industry. They have a whole new definition.

I could go on forever...

John D.

Outstanding product and tech support!

Reviewed on 12/09/2014

Pros

The product I use has made tracking over 12,000 consigned items a manageable endeavor. In addition to the impeccable tech support I receive, the ability to track each and every product in the store, from intake to settlement, has made this business venture a pleasure. I probably only use 50% of the features, but those I use make my job easy. I can readily identify all pertinent information regarding an item, track notes on the consignor's item and sale preferences, and easily upload all information at the click of a button to my website. A few of the key features I use most are the abilities to associate similar items to one another, to produce reports for each consignor on items sold and still open, to create accounting reports on daily activity, to retrieve a customer's information for mail merge at settlement time, to track my inventory on both quantity and revenue generated to determine my seasonality and busiest days, and to un-publish items from the website once they reach quantity zero (can you imagine doing this manually?).

I also enjoy the easy of use in the Aesys admin system. I've been able to manage and tailor the website to suit my needs with little help from the web support team (another great facet of the product). The ability for real-time lookup of shipping costs and credit card processing made the integration of these items a breeze.

Cons

There are times the system will crash if I have the SA Inventory, customer info, receive batch consignment, and the sales invoice windows open at the same time. There are times I need to have these available in the dynamic environment I've created, and the "Swordfish" errors can be a hassle. Also, there are some canned reports in the catalog that don't seem to work, and creating reports with the wizard is not the easiest or the most intuitive.

Megan H.

AIMsi has more and more to recommend it as we learn more about it

Reviewed on 05/09/2014

Pros

This is a great POS for our instrument sale and rental business. There's just enough flexibility in it without having to do everything freeform. The more we use it, the more we learn about new ways that it can help us. And the support option is great. Their staff is very knowledgeable and has been of tremendous help to us on several occasions. We've used AIMsi for years already, yet we're still finding new ways that it can help our business. The designers seem to have anticipated most of the needs of a shop like ours. Whenever we decide we want to do something new, we find there is an option in AIMsi for exactly that. That's a great sign of a well-designed product.

Cons

There are a couple of features that would be nice to have (ability to refund an initial rental payment in the system, reverse an approval return, etc.), but they're just things that would be helpful to us specifically. The only other thing that we really find irritating at all is that the formatting on the straight-to-email option isn't really compatible with Gmail recipients, so the large number of our customers with Gmail get invoices and the like that are very difficult to read and not very professional-looking. We get around that by printing them to PDF instead, but it would be nice to have it work in one step.

Brian M.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Over all, VERY happy. Best all in one POS for Firearms Retailers

Reviewed on 18/02/2018

All in one POS for firearms retailer with the best pricing that WIL NOT break your bank!!

Pros

Lots to offer for the firearms retailer at eh best possible price compared to there competitors. We have been very happy with the system as a whole and although there is a lot to learn, support is just a call away. Having Bound Book linked right to your inventory is very helpful and there is even a delayed delivery choice in the POS for state like us in IL that require a waiting period for firearms purchases.

Cons

There is a lot to learn and many items/field we don't use, but can not simply delete. We have to work around them. For being such a gun based POS system, there are things that could use improving to keep retailers compliant. But every time we make a suggestion to support, it is taken in kind and it the modification can be made, they do it!

Lance M.

One of the better POS programs available!

Reviewed on 04/09/2014

Pros

The software has many facets which you can tailor to your company's needs. We have been using AIMsi for 11 years now and have watched the software grow into a powerful program that takes care of our inventory, accounting, A/R, A/P, and bank reconciliation.

Support at Tri-Tech has been phenomenal. We've had a few hiccups in the past with bugs or mistakes that an employee has made (which we couldn't fix ourselves). Tri-Tech support has been there to always walk us through the issue, and 98% of the time, we've been able to resolve our issues.

Cons

There isn't much that we don't like about AIMsi, but we do wish that the check ledger was accessible in a manner like QuickBooks. The same goes for the bank reconciliation module. It doesn't make sense that in order to clear checks, the statement clearing date must always be the last day of the month in order for all the cleared and uncleared checks to show up together.

Abdullah E.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

All in one, just a little overwhelming

Reviewed on 30/08/2018

Definitely an all in one POS system, with so many features that no business can’t say it didn’t meet their needs, just take the time out with their customer service to learn it all in due measure and don’t try to take it in all at once. Know what features your business needs and doesn’t need to save your workload.

Pros

It literally had everything, but also more than what I knew what to do with. It has every function imaginable to accommodate every business, even if yours wouldn’t necessarily need it.

Cons

With all the functions, I felt overwhelmed to learn them all one by one, and although I didn’t need them or understand them, I’m sure another business out there needed it and appreciated it. Although customer service did try to help, I believe it was just a system I wasn’t used to.

Paul S.
  • Used for 2+ years

Why should you have to navigate between miultuple screens a 10 key strokes to do a simple cash...

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

When I spoke to the salesman I told him about the system I wanted to replace, and I needed to new system to be just as stream line and easy to use. He said this system was even simpler then what I was used to, BS. You shouldn't have to go line by line and actually type how many of each items you received on a purchase order, it should default as 100% fill rate and allow you to enter the back order items individually. At over $3000 I will accept I got hosed and move on.
If anyone from AIM reads this shame on you, your lucky you're not in my town because I would return it in person.
Don't buy this, it is a POS. And no I don't mean Point Of Sale.

Pros

It looks very professional
It does cost a lot so you think your getting something special
The service guys are helpful, but you will be paying for that

Cons

Way to complicated, generating orders through multiple screens.
Multiple screens to do the simplest sales.
Four different screens just to add a manufacturer/vendor
Line by line entries to receive an order
Unable to add line items to an order once it has been generated
3 different screens to remove a part number from the data base

Mike D.

War and Peace

Reviewed on 12/07/2016

Pros

The software covers all aspects of the retail music business

Cons

The AMSi software integrates nicely with the Storefront internet module but Storefront is an extremely difficult platform to work with. People that program web sites for a living have no clue on how to use the program. Its not intuitive and the have to learn Storefront from scratch.

Casey M.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Scheduling, inventory, and book keeping has never been so easy.

Reviewed on 20/01/2017

The aimsi platform has delivered quite well for us. We have way more insight into our business than we ever did before. Gone are the days of endless hours, crunching numbers, and writing endless things out by hand, or creating excel worksheets, etc. Yes, that stuff still needs to be done to an extent, as with any business. But nearly all of our bookkeeping information is a couple of clicks away. From historical daily numbers to active inventory, to scheduling and maintaining services, to employee timekeeping, and more- it's all on Aimsi!

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

Some things we didn't know it could do, we are figuring out years later. Mostly user error, but could be better.

Patricia S.

Tri Tech Aim

Reviewed on 02/12/2020

I trained 3 other employees on the Aim system with no problems. Actually easier than the old software to log in and out of. We all have worked together in learning and share when we find another advantage to this system.

Pros

This software made conversion easy and effective. I had no problems with changing over from our old software to Aim. A few corrections were needed but overall very easy.

Cons

I have not found any problems so far and hopefully won't in the future.

Rick S.

Reviewed on 11/10/2012

We first began using AIMsi in 2001. The staff was helpful in setting us up, and the software was great to work with. We use most every module available, and have been able to grow our busines, and our profits steadily each year. Because we sell bicycles, fitness equipment and shoes, our operation has to run as two seperate stores, yet combine the P&L and such reports for actual trackings. AIMsi does this very well, and with minimal efforts on our part.

My previous POS was DOS based, and thus needed to be updated to a Windows environment. AIMsi was the best package I could find, and it still apperas to me to be the best, most complete package available today.

Ease of use is important, since we employee several students as part timers, and they move on when school is over. AIMsi is easy to use, to learn and to work with. Our most impressive things are the accounting, inventory management, time clock feature, and the contact management module.

We are very happy with the system, the support and the entire staff from Tri-tech!

Rob F.

AIMsi for Gun Store use

Reviewed on 10/10/2019

Customer service and sales people as a whole have been fantastic. Best software I've found to date.

Pros

The ability to customize it to whatever we needed. Runs my POS, range manager, Service book & regular A&D book.

Cons

No real cons - just there is a learning curve when first setting up for the B2B service. Support was awesome though and got us through it all.

Margaret F.

AIMsi - a great POS for a small gun shop

Reviewed on 17/09/2014

Pros

AIMsi is very affordable and straightforward, with no bells and whistles. I like that very much. The interface is very user-friendly once you get the hang of it, and the tech support is quick to talk you through your questions. Receipts and reports are professional-looking and useful for bookkeeping.

Cons

The tech support is not available on Saturdays or evenings, which can be a bummer when something goes terribly wrong during their off hours.

Ken K.

Great company and software

Reviewed on 19/01/2017

Ease of Use is 5 stars AFTER the learning curve. I not only recommend I HAVE often recommended.

Pros

You actually listen to customer needs and respond to service requests.

Cons

The email client could be better. If a client has 10 invoices, they need to be sent one at a time.

Julie M.

This product has been a breeze.

Reviewed on 05/09/2014

Pros

Even for those in my store who are electronically-challenged, this product is easy to understand and learn how to process. I have not had anyone in my store who felt it was too difficult to learn the procedure or shortcuts.

Cons

I would like if the time cards could be cut/pasted for new days or weeks so that I could easily adjust those who need corrections but work similar hours every day.

Phoua L.
  • Industry: Supermarkets

AIMsi within the Asian Markets.

Reviewed on 04/09/2014

Pros

I really enjoy working with Tri-Tech's friendly and skilled technical and sales staff over the phone every time I call in for questions and concerns regarding the AIMsi software and its related hardware.

Cons

There's nothing that I would think of at this particular time.

Frances A.
  • Industry: Furniture

Great Product

Reviewed on 09/10/2014

Pros

When I first started looking for software, the sales people for AIMsi were very attentive and answered all the questions I had. The product is user-friendly for those that do not have much software knowledge.

Cons

I have not come across anything that I didn't like yet. I am still exploring it, but I haven't found anything wrong.

Thomas M.

Consistent performance

Reviewed on 18/10/2014

Pros

From a POS perspective, AIMsi gives me consistent performance with little or no problems.

Cons

The reporting capabilities could be tweaked. It would be advantageous to set inventory levels and be prompted when it is time to reorder.

John B.

AIMsi user review from Pittsburgh Guitars

Reviewed on 09/09/2014

Pros

It does everything that I need it to do. It can run a report for anything that you ask it for! Tech support can answer every question that you throw at them.

Cons

This product can do so much that it can be hard to find a basic function because the drop down menus are so large.

Dean H.

Effective, comprehensive, interface not always intuitive

Reviewed on 03/06/2016

Rock solid system we use to manage 125,000 SKUs (many serialized) across four locations. Highly reliable. More confident in a server-based system than in a cloud-based system. Highly competent tech support team. Willing to consider & implement improvement suggestions. Tech support team patient with all levels of users. System is fast; reporting capabilities are very good; all inventory management and accounting functions are robust. We never worry about the system's integrity.

Mark S.

Complete functionality for the Music Retail dealer!

Reviewed on 02/11/2014

Pros

When problems arise, help is quick to resolve them. The Proposal module makes my clients interested in following through to purchase.

Cons

Some updates are not tried and true, and we still encounter bugs, which can affect access to customer info.

Bonnie G.

Not for Consignment Shops

Reviewed on 11/08/2015

This product was offered as a replacement when AIMsi bought our previous software supplier. Unfortunately, it does not function in a way that fits with a basic consignment shop work flow. Nor does it function in the way they sold it. They would not provide a demo of the product first. We had to pay to upgrade only to find out that it was not going to work for us. Not smart, but we are a church owned thrift store (all proceeds go to charity) and the upgrade was significantly cheaper than buying some of the newer products on the market so we took the risk.

Response from Tri-Technical Systems

We do offer extensive software features, but we recognize that each business has unique needs and methods of doing business. If you would like to discuss different methods of conducting procedures within AIMsi, please give us a call.

Maury S.

TCRC

Reviewed on 30/01/2017

GREAT. Enjoy working with your staff, everyone is very helpful

Pros

Service

Lyn T.

Great daily experience

Reviewed on 04/09/2014

Pros

It's easy to use. They are very dependable and have excellent support.

Cons

The help search function needs work, and the bookkeeping system isn't in line with traditional bookkeeper training.

Jordan C.

Frustrating. This software, while functional, is not intuitive.

Reviewed on 10/09/2014

Pros

The technical support is very helpful, and you're going to need it.

Cons

I dislike how difficult it is to make changes, especially to SKUs and sales. Furthermore, having to open a new window whenever I want to accomplish a new task is very antiquated; similar modules should be grouped into a single window or tab instead of scrolling through multiple drop-down menus.