ThingLink

4.6/5

88 Software options

Jessica (jessi) E.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

EMT Instructor - outside of the box thinking!

Reviewed on 13/08/2021

Overall experience is positive. Students can engage 24/7, inside and outside of the classroom and it's so much better than just flat pictures!

Pros

First, I got a special pricing because I was signed up for the email list and it helped save me quite a few dollars as my department wasn't ready to purchase a larger institutional package, so that was a nice factor for me as it was out of pocket.

What I enjoy most about thinglink is that while all students prefer visuals, for my particular curriculum, Emergency Medical Technicians, they are VERY visual and hands-on. For them, flat pictures don't always get across what we need them to know. So being able to have interactive images, 3d images and all in one photos that we can put videos in, links to other places we want them to go, etc is super convenient and useful.

In my field, a lot of instructors always complain about how the students aren't engaged...well yeah, if you do "death by powerpoint" no wonder! While this program does have a bit of a learning curve (mild to moderate depending on your tech level), it's a way to help mitigate that complaint. It's accessible outside of class and you don't need to always be the "sage on the stage" - students can see these 24/7 whether we're there or not.

Cons

I would say that my con isn't so much about the software itself, but rather trying to convince my department on getting outside of the box and learning it on their own or as a team. I have quite a few people in my department who look at me like I'm some tech guru and while they think things are cool (including thinglink), to actually take the time to learn it on their own - the motivation just isn't there. So anything "techy" is thrown my way or begrudgingly learned.

That being said - what I would love is obviously highly specific to my field but in the premade 3d options, I would like more EMS friendly scenes, such as streets, interiors of homes, inside of hospitals, etc but I completely get that isn't exactly as exciting as Egypt or Denali state park! So I have a bit of work to do on my end in order to put that into my own workspace. But otherwise, I'm satisfied with the program for what I need it to be at the moment.

Ola D.

Importance thinglink

Reviewed on 15/08/2021

Interesting

Pros

Photo 365, tags , audio , link's , icons

Cons

There is no download in the free version

Melisa F.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Bringing Art to Life

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

I was blown away by the software and the final product. The more I explored and found more features, the more excited I was about using the program creatively.

I ended up using the software for our Culminating Activity (Exam) in my courses. Students had to upload a famous piece of artwork that they chose, and identify all of the Elements and Principles of Design (Grade 9 & 10 Ontario Curriculum). They also had to research the artist, time period, art movement, etc. They were also encouraged to add appropriate music (either time-specific or mood-specific) and extra links to interesting YouTube videos or resources related to their paintings.

The work my students produced using the software, after a few short tutorials, was incredible. I feel the activity was extremely worthwhile. The project had high efficacy, and follows a substantial number of trends and mandates in education, including a love for learning and nurturing autonomy.

I particularly enjoyed that students were able to apply all of the core concepts that we covered in class into one solid, easy to assess project. The learning was embedded into the assignment so it was a healthy mix of requirements and fun. They were also excited to present their work and demonstrated personal investment and pride in their work.

Pros

There isn't anything I don't like about this software. It's incredibly easy to use, my students enjoy using it, and the final product is both entertaining, and allows me to assess their learning at (almost) a glance.

I can see how ThingLink would be useful in ANY industry. It is a user-friendly program that yields a professional looking product.

I purchased a licence for a year, but I will certainly be renewing. The price point for individual accounts is reasonable. I do hope, however, that School Boards will consider purchasing licensing for all Educators.

Cons

Initially when uploading pictures, the size was determined by the file that I uploaded. I had to 'shop' for the perfect size to upload, which was confusing for some students (learning about pixellation and file sizes, etc).

I believe this part has been adjusted. The last set of assignments seemed to have more consistent sizing. I would prefer that the picture fits to the size of the monitor automatically.

I may have overlooked an option to do this. I'm still finding new features!

Karsten S.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Modern education software

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

I work a long time with ThingLink and have made some international project based on ThingLink but even in my daily classroom I let it use my students to work with in projects and summaries of work flows.

Pros

I like that students can use this product very easy and in a way that they can be proud of theirs work. It looks professional and give my students the one of the best software for to show what they learned and how they think. From the beginning through a own drawn/taken picture to the end when they can show their progress in the project.

Cons

The enrolment is quiet technical and gives my colleagues a huge step to overcome before they want really to use it in their classrooms.

Nick A.

Interactive and engaging. It's more than a picture.

Reviewed on 17/11/2017

I gained the ability to recreate a lot of classroom material in fun, creative ways. I gained more engaged students who were expecting contact that they could interact with. This also helped me combine multiple tools together in ways that became more streamlined.

Pros

Everything! Thinglink became a staple in my classroom when I was teaching. The ability to embed various content and tools that you and your students use everyday into the image is fun . It's a creative take on a digital "scavenger hunt", enabling users to go "find" the information they seek and interact with the image. Works well with Google Apps which is a must in education today. Has afforded me the opportunity to give students another creative outlet when working on projects or way for me to create more engaging material for them to access. With the ability to now include videos and 360 images/VR, Thinglink should be a staple in education.

Cons

There is just so much you can do with Thinglink. My one gripe is that you cannot collaborate with other on the same Thinglink during the creation/editing phase.

Ludmila S.

Teaching should call for Positive Action

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

I enjoyed using the software and had a blast with my science classes. All the teacher candidates in my course deigned and taught Thinglink lessons at the local schools and the school bought the accounts for teachers.

Pros

Thinglink is an easy to use software that allows you to use lots of interactive and diverse elements to create a rich learning experience for the learners. It starts with a FREE trial and for $35 a year a teacher can enhance teaching with the ThingLink interactive and 3D tools.

Cons

I was upset that I lost my projects when the account was changed from paid to Free.

Erika M.

Engaging feature for our users

Reviewed on 12/08/2021

Pros

I love the 360-degree imagery software that ThingLink offers, which makes it easy for content creators to put hot spots of information and link back to our content. And the inclusion of Microsoft's Immersive Reader is absolutely key to this feature for our users - they love that aspect of it as well.

Cons

It does take a lot of thoughtful work to put in the hot spots with the information, but that is mostly on our end. The finished product is worth it.

Stephane B.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Great for Education

Reviewed on 12/08/2021

I think the tool gives great possibly for Education and I would like to see the 360 videos to be economically more accessible to Education. I will continue developing further student activities around Thinglink

Pros

The ease of use and deployment to students, the endless possibilities for students to exploit graphics/photos to describe

Cons

The UI could be modernized and the possibility of the design platform to be accessible to all devices and touch screen compatible such as iPad

Rosangela M.

useful for educational purposes

Reviewed on 18/08/2021

I use the product for education purposes with my student pretty often, thus students can easly be teached on subjects.

Pros

The product user friendly. I am a teacher and the product is useful to collect my students' works. The product has a very atractive visual impact. Definetly very useful for educational purposes.

Cons

Sometimes 3D images' insertion cannot result easily. Link's are often connected throughout a button for external source, but the link's preview is not visible-

Kelle G.

Student-Centered

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

Pros

I love that thing link allows students to create and explore content using multi-media.

Cons

Integration with Canvas is not intuitive.

Michelle K.

ThingLink is the Way to Go!

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

The platform is unique , but also easy to figure out!

Pros

This platform helps me keep students highly engaged in a lesson. It’s been very fun to use for me as well.

Cons

It took me a while to figure out how to create custom tags.

Bianca V.
  • Used for Free Trial

Great Tool for Educators!

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

I am happy with this tool and love what I can create with it! There are so many possibilities!

Pros

ThingLink is an awesome multimedia editor. I can create unique interactive lessons for my online history classes. It allows me to connect physical environments of the past to the digital information I want my students to learn. It gives the students the opportunities to take virtual tours and learn about history in a fun and engaging way.

Cons

It can be a little time consuming to create the presentations but they are saved and can be used over and over each semester.

Itza T.

ThingLink for Teachers

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

The students really enjoyed this feature (of listening to my voice and hearing my instructions).

Pros

I enjoyed being able to use thing link in collaboration with Canva or other programs such as Blend to incorporate audio for my Emerging Language Learners and Special Education Students. This helped make my website more engaging and interactive.

Cons

As a teacher when I paid the membership once my website was viewed a certain number of times the students were not able to view on the original website, they had to be directed to thingklink. But once I contacted customer service they were able to fix the issue for me. There should be no view limit for teachers as students will view my pages multiple times for educational purposes.

Pedro H.
  • Used for 1+ year

Simple and easy to use with fast deployment

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

It's great for product tours, makes it so easy.

Pros

It gives you a vast of possibilities for getting creative with your marketing assets.

Cons

It's very basic, but at least that's what I like, we don't need tons of features.

Ashley S.
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Must Use in the Classrom!

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

Pros

I love that everything can be shared from one page. I do a lot of individualized project as a PBL school and this software allows me to share just one page opposed to multiple pages. It also keeps materials in one place for my students.

Cons

The most difficult part doesn’t have anything to do with the software- it was convincing my school district to purchase the software opposed to using the free edition.

Claire F.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Smooth and easy for users

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

Pros

I first heard about ThingLink from one of my institute's experts in online teaching. Within hours, I'd learned to use all of the basic features, and had embedded an interactive photo into a Canvas page. My students are ESL learners who are getting BAs in art & design, so interacting with photos is a really helpful way to get them thinking about composition and symbolism in art.

Cons

I really have no complaints. At first I was a little confused about the value of using one of your free templates vs. uploading my own photo, but I figured it out with the help of a tutorial video.

Katie T.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Elementary Teacher

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

Pros

I love the ways I can make it appropriate for my younger students and they can follow the directions and use it easily.

Cons

Can’t think of one because I love the ease of it and how it can easily be manipulated for various topics and users

Bonnie Y.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Capture EVERYTHING!

Reviewed on 12/08/2021

Pros

It is very intuitive and easy to work with. I have students utilize the app for their projects independently and it really allows for multimodal learning.

Cons

It would be great if there is some way to export the project so that it can be accessed off line as well.

Abby C.
  • Industry: Music

Super fun and efficient!

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

It has been so helpful for teaching virtual students. It transports them into a virtual world where they can hear me teach, see what I am referring to, and have deeper understanding.

Pros

I can use this software to help students understand the music they are playing, the instruments they are learning, or emphasize notes in my presentations to other classes. This has been revolutionary in a year where students often have to go virtual for short periods of time.

Cons

I would like to see more options for my field for 360 designs.

Erin M.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Useful in the moment, stopped using after a while

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

Thinglink was really important to our tech rollout at the beginning of the pandemic, it saved us! Wish I could have used it more.

Pros

I really liked the voice feature as I was working with children who did not know how to read yet.

Cons

Our school district used a platform called Seesaw that was not compatible with Thinglink, so after a while, I stopped using Thinkglink because of the way the district took our content output. Sad face!

CANVAS

Reasons for Switching to ThingLink

We chose Thinglink at first because it was easier to figure out.
Dr. n. rathankar R.

usage of thinglink

1. physics learning made easy
2. i get my students think critically
3. increase student engagement during this pandemic

Pros

the software is very useful, since i need not do any video, but borrow a video from youtube and add my explanations and design an experiment using it

I am a physics teacher and I find this useful in my teaching methods

When I started to teach kinematics, I took up a video of a car chasing scene from a movie, clipped it and then showed to the students the difference between velocity and acceleration. There are many interactive things that one can do using this software. In this pandemic era, virtual labs are very essential and this software keeps my students glued to their seats during my lecture.

Thank you Thinglink for such a wonderful software , that makes our life more easier.

Cons

If i was a software developer, probably I would like to put several measuring tools in a tool box that I can use it while using a video. I would like to scale up the video and do calculations using it. Eg: if I am showing a planetary simulation in the video and the distance between the planets and the sun can be measured using the tools, then if each of these distances are scaled up by certain value, can the constants be calculated?

Melanie M.

Easy to use - Some bugs in stats

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

Overall, I enjoy the software, and have found the support team to be helpful. There are issues that I would like resolved, but will continue to use the software regardless.

Pros

ThingLink is very user friendly. While I primarily use this software to upload and tag videos, my collogues use the picture features and insert them into our FAQs. This provide a helpful alternative to learning for students who are more visually motivated.

Cons

There are a few bugs and corrections I would like to see implemented in the future. For one, the "approximate time on media" statistic does not accurately collect data for newer videos I have uploaded (since May 2021). While I am working with Support, a weekly status report from the company addressing these issues and providing updates would be appreciated, as it keeps us in the loop as to what issues ThingLink is aware of, and what they are working to fix. While the people I have interacted with have been helpful, I would like more transparency within the company and for this reason I have dropped Customer Service to 4/5 stars.

Additionally, while adding tags to videos, it is difficult to insert the tag at the exact frame I need as the play head does not "snap" to exact frames (compared to Adobe Premiere Pro, for instance) and instead operates as more of a sliding scale. Not a huge issue, but more of a stylistic ease-of-use feature that I would like to see implemented.

Sarah M.

Thinglink in the Classroom

Reviewed on 11/02/2021

I love how Thinglink continues to update and add features that both students and teachers will find useful! We LOVE the 360 and VR capabilities! I worked with an 8th grade ELA team recently and they took their students on a 360 experience of the Holocaust to support their reading in class.

Pros

As a K-12 Instructional Technologist, I love finding open-ended tools that can be versatile for teachers. In K-8 we use iPads and 9-12 we use Chromebooks. I love that Thinglink is a creative tool that can be accessed on both devices and can be used to create in any content area.

Cons

I have not come across any cons when using Thinglink with teachers and students. I have used the premium version in the past, but currently I use the free version.

Yeyn A.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Taking it to the next level with ThingLink

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

I love this software. It really helped my life and my student's lives become much easier.

Pros

My students are able to be more self-sufficient and personalize their learning.

Cons

This software requires a bit of training. You need to plan for such things, but it is well worth it.

Vinutthaput P.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Useful technology tool for learning

Reviewed on 19/08/2021

I am school director and I learn to use it and share to my colleague . Train them , and motivate them to use in their classroom.

Pros

The product is easy to use ,makes annotating digital items super simple.

Cons

Need more area to pace my content. Free features : Image, video, 360°/VR image publishing.
Secure sharing. Engagement statistics. Offline viewing.