CleanMyMac X

Maintenance and antivirus software for Macs.

4.6/5

Danielle C.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Light and breezy

Reviewed on 31/07/2021

I use a combo of this and Gemini II to keep my Mac running in tip-top performance.
CleamMyMac is often used for hard disk space retrieval on the go, malware detection in real-time and speed optimisation. I utilise the RAM freeing-up tool daily and that allows me to just keep the Mac running virtually all the time between macOS updates. Well, mainly that and a few other apps like amphetamine.

Pros

It sits in an inconspicuous place and just does its thang. I hardly notice until I think "oh wait, I want to clear some memory" and go ahead and click its menubar icon and jolly well do so. From this quick access point, there are other processes that are vital and on hand like freeing up hard-disk space and seeing what other resources are being used.
It has never failed. It has so much more to it when I open the dashboard and start flicking through the options that I could spend all day fine-tuning and sometimes I have spent quite a long time getting even more space back and clearing apps that are redundant.

Cons

I have not one quibble. Its overhead seems tiny, I hardly notice it is there and yet when I need its full suite of tools they are immediately on hand.

William P.
  • Industry: Publishing

Great Software for Mac

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Pros

I use the software regularly to check for viruses and malware. I also use it to reset memory on my Mac. I like the way that it lets me know if memory is running low. It has also helped me see which applications use more memory.
I have used the software several times to successfully uninstall software I no longer use.
When I changed to a new computer, it was very easy to switch the registration.

Cons

No issues with the software. I replaced Norton with it and saw none of the disadvantages.

Allan S.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Maintain and avoid pain

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Pros

I welcome the peace of mind I get from this software - it is watching for uninvited viruses, cleaning out useless files and ensuring my MacBook Air is running at peak performance.

Cons

I have not yet found the software wanting. Perhaps a disk map showing file allocation after clean-up would be appreciated.

Quaetapo X.

An essential product for any Mac users

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

I've used CleanMyMac for nearly a decade and wouldn't have a system without it. Always efficient, regular updates and a fun user experience – for such a dry area – make it my most valuable system tool. Not only does it help in my day-to-day productivity, it gives me confidence when I'm upgrading the OS and it has without fail extended the life of my laptop by 3-4 years. Over the last decade I've had 3 MacBook Pros and have only had to upgrade to take advantage of new technology. Throughout their life, CleanMyMac helped ensure their performance was excellent and things run smoothly.

Pros

This tool comes with so many great features and the user interface and menu bar dashboard make using it a breeze. To quickly free up RAM, run a system maintenance, check for malware, uninstall applications or see which files are taking up too much room, it's all there.

Cons

They've tried to extend the features to be a little too good. There iPhone storage feature is a waste of time, so I disabled it in preferences.

Mitchel S.

A Must Have

clean user interface
excellent product

Pros

After years of trying to keep our work stations up to speed, this product solved all our issues. Installed on every employee and also personal units.

Cons

some features are unclear when or why to run

Charles C.

Run it Once and You will keep it Forever

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

This one program salvaged a 2015 Macbook Pro which was clogged, cluttered, poorly indexed, with multiple memory leaks. I've since installed it on all my Mac's (personal and business).

Pros

The simple complexity is perfect for my environment. I can quickly flush cache, file compare, update, uninstall, and run scans from a slick interface. Eliminate multiple scripts, terminal commands, time, and effort.

Cons

Some of the pesky notifications I wish was more customizable. However, for most users, I predict will leave all notifications on or turn off completely.

John H.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Best solution for keeping my MAC in good shape.

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Pros

Usefull features for me are ability to free up memory, clean up after apps after uninstall. smart scan to tune up your computer and real time malware protection.

If you have a problem cusotmer support are really proactive insolving issues.

Cons

Can't really think of any downsides and if I've had issues cusotmer support has helped me out very quickly,

Mike M.

Might Be Able to Live Without It, BUT Don't Want TO

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Used for personal purposes. I relate to like an anxious person might relate to Valium.

Pros

Full feature set is easy to invoke and very much enjoy ridding my OS of 3+ GB of junk at least weekly. Update Manager helps me stay on top of application updates and until I used LogIn Manager Was mystified by how to clean up all the stuff that others in their infinite wisdom felt I need to load each day (I didn't).

Cons

Many features need to give me more information before I'm confident to use them and others should, I feel, give me advice on what to do with the information that CleanMyMac points out. Links to the MacPaw site from the results page giving advice would be a REALLY BIG PLUS and eminently doable.

James R.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Excellent Product (Benchmarking for Peers)

Exceptional.

Pros

While shopping, I neither found another product as comprehensive, nor with the same clean UI. CMM not only loads your bases, but also drives the process home.

Cons

It would be great if the memory maps and other features enabled reporting. It would be great to see such a detailed breakdown of how I use my memory in a clearly defined chart.

Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection

Reasons for Switching to CleanMyMac X

Richard H.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Does what it says on the tin!

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

I use CleanMyMac for my personal computer systems, it gives me confidence in the system integrity, and the ability to fine-tune settings. I like to tinker, so having backup support from CleanMyMac in case something goes wrong is excellent.

Pros

CleanMyMac is an essential part of my personal computer maintenance and management armoury. It's easy to use, intuitive and has loads of features that make my life easier.

Cons

I have not had any issues with CleanMyMac, the CPU overhead is minimal, and the features far outweigh any negatives.

George D.
  • Industry: Law Practice

CleanMyMac X Very Useful!

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Easy to use, clean interface, gives peace of mind... overall, a very good experience

Pros

CleanMyMac X is simple to use, it reminds me to use it, and basically takes just one click to run. If you want to dive deeper, there are a range of options, including identifying what is taking up space on your machine.

Cons

I can't really think of anything negative about this software. It is perhaps a little more expensive than some competing products, but I trust it and think it is worth it.

Jacques H.

Almost everything I need

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Pros

The most important feature of CleanMyMac X is that it take all the guess work our of optimizing my Mac and getting rid of software clutter either during normal operation, software update or software removal.

Cons

The ideal add on for me would be a duplicate, review and removal function. I realize that there is Space Lens, Large and Old Files but I need to keep these files for reference and legal purposes. What I need is a function that allows me to get rid of drafts and duplicates and the ability to rearrange files to account for the passage of time and changing circumstances.

Susan F.

Excellent product.

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

Pros

I am image heavy in my daily work, and CleanMyMac reminds me that I need to do a scan to ease the burden on my computer. On a busy day it will clean 4 GB off my hard drive. The program is also easy on the eyes and fun to watch work. This program is a vital part of my daily/weekly routine.

Cons

There are really no cons that I have found. It easily does what it says it will do in keeping my computer running smoothly.

Lisa P.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Extremely happy

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Exactly what was needed and it does a perfect job !!

Pros

What isn’t there to like. It does exactly what it says on the tin and keeps my computer running smoothly. My computer is my life and used everyday so if it went I would be without.

Cons

Bit disappointed that I paid for something then don’t have access to it all.

Allen H.

A must have for the toolbox

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

I can’t imagine running my Mac without this utility.

Pros

I mostly enjoy getting disk space back on an SSD.

Cons

Early on, I found it would purge temporary files used by an online backup service. This caused my backup to restart from scratch each time. Either MacPaw has fixed this or the backup service changed things because now it’s great.

William C.
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Keeps my Mac running smoothly

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Best maintenance tool on the market.

Pros

Removing unused temp files, and optimizing my Mac, and checking for malware. Essential for optimizing Mac performance.

Cons

No complaints. There is nothing I would change about CleanMy Mac

John D.

A highly useful tool in keeping mac computers operating efficiently

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

I am not using it to solve business problems but it does help in keeping my computer operating at peak performance.

Pros

Reducing unnecessary add ons that take up space and slow down computer. Fully removing unwanted apps.

Cons

I don't have any issues with the product.

Dr mike C.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Can’t do without it!

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

This is the best value S’ware I’ve ever purchased! I wouldn’t want to be without it. I depend on it. I have it on all of our Apple computers. Love it.

Pros

Easy to use.
Thorough
Value cost
I can trust what it does.

Cons

I have none.

Matthew D.

Do what it says on the tin

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Easy to use. I feel it makes a difference. Helps me keep my MacBook clutter free.

Pros

I like the ability to do a deep scan. Also, I feel confident every time the spyware scan comes back as 0!

Cons

The cost. If feel the yearly subscription could be a little cheaper. However, for the peace of mind I get, it’s a price I’m willing to pay.

Dionicio P.
  • Industry: Photography

It seems to work

It seems to work.

Pros

Easy to use. Its graphical interface is a pleasure to use.

Cons

Its subscription model. As a matter of principle, I abhor subscription models.

David L.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great product

Excellent

Pros

Ease of use. Ability to manage load on machine and keep efficient

Cons

Keep doing what you are doing. I don’t have any complaints.

Gerry P.

My CMM X

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Pros

Ease of use and range of services offered.

Cons

Uninstall options. Not all apps are always shown.

Stephen B.

Crash

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Seems to work well on my Mac, but it crashes my Macbook Pro frequently.

Pros

Easy to use with multiple aspects and it provides helpful tools.

Cons

It crashes my Macbook Pro at least three times out of seven every time it is about three quarters finished with the cleaning, which then requires an additional twenty minutes of start-up time to reboot and clean again.

Phaedra C.

Great tool

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Pros

Easy to use and fast. Helpful tool to clean

Cons

Nothing I can think of honestly. Design and functionality is great.

Che K.

CleanMyMac Review

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

They have given me the confidence to be available 24/7.

Pros

The software works well and is easy to use (as expected on a Mac), with easy to use features such as removing browser history and Smart Scan. What I really enjoy is receiving simple-to-read blog posts about Mac news, every so often.

Cons

It would be interesting to receive advice about what I could change to my Mac to improve its performance.