VideoPad

Video making and editing software

4.3/5

• Industry: Architecture & Planning
  • Used for 1-5 months

VideoPad Breakdown

Reviewed on 16/08/2021

I can make quick music videos with it. My niece has been nagging me to show her how to get into video editing for her YouTube channel and she feels as though this is the software that she is most comfortable with.

Pros

I can edit videos in 3D which brings a new dynamic to your project if you're not used to that. I also found the video stabilization function to be of utmost importance and I'm sure a lot of you aspiring video editors out there will feel the same way too.

Cons

The green screen effect was not as easy to find as I would have wanted it to be. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know the software was capable of that until I stumbled upon it while randomly pressing buttons. So all in all I would like for that feature to be made obvious and easier to set up.

HitFilm Express

Reasons for Switching to VideoPad

From what I could gather, a lot of people told me for some reason to steer clear of it. So I did.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

An economic alternative to iMovie

Reviewed on 31/12/2018

Overall I'd recommend and has recommended this software to a lot of people, friends and family , to be specific, at least 8 people use this software because of me. I have made video gifts for the loved ones , and that too at very short notice period, takes less than half hour to make incredible birthday video gifts ,all for non-profit purpose, only thing i gained is love and respect of family and friends.

Pros

I absolutely adore this software, i have several reasons for that , it is also the first video editing software i used. I have been using this software from last 6 years now, and for 5 years it remained my primary video editing software. I downloaded it in 2012 because all other software were asking for money (and i am not rich, from a developing country), and this one was free so i downloaded it and the first thing i noticed is the ease of use, i was literally able to do the required tasks without any prior experience or even the tutorials, its so easy to use.
2nd thing i like the the precision it offers when you have to stop or cut at a particular instant, it really allows you to do that and mix several clips.
3rd feature i use the most is clip speed, i make several kitchen videos in which quick action is required and the customization of variable speed, allows me to make videos more presentable and rich.
4th feature i use is text to speech, i use it in my videos, it helps me keep my identity anonymous and get my message across the somewhat dangerous political spectrum in my country.
5th feature that i love a lot is i can export videos in 720p .mp4 format easily,
6th feature that i learned only this year is using green screen, yes it allows you to change your background image/video and this really amazed my friends a lot. I have made birthday video gifts, cooking videos, edited movies for myself, made short video clips, edited music, its a complete package.

Cons

there really aren't many cons, except one or two , you'll have to really go nitpicking for them to showup
first and biggest one is the speed, the time it takes to load a video is less but processing the video takes eons of time, especially if its in HD or full HD. The main reason i shifted from videopad, is the processing speed, be it exporting a HD video or processing it for slow or fast motion, it takes a lot of time while other software does that, atleast the processing part, in split seconds.
the second one is lack of beautiful fonts on text slides, they are just plain boring or uninteresting, I have to go to extra lengths to create slides in powerpoint and then use those screenshot images in video, to avoid the built in text slide in software.
third and final one is the ease of using it fades away in video effect, every time i had to go under the tab video effect, like picture in picture or green screen, first i had to take a video tutorial and then the shifting of images was also not as easy as the rest of software is. you have to consider a lot of parameters.

Supun S.

VideoPad - Simple Video Editor

Reviewed on 17/12/2019

VideoPad is simple video editing software. This is not a professional video editor. But we can use this software to edit a simple video. Many transitions and video effects are included in VideoPad and we can use them to create a nice video as our wish. Both free version and paid version of VideoPad is available. If you are a beginner to video editing you can use free version and practice. We can make a good video using the free version also. VideoPad is a great tool for the beginners in video editing field and they can learn lot of things from this software because it is very simple to use.

Pros

VideoPad has a simple user interface and it is easy to use. NCH team has released two versions of this software. One version can be used for free. We can use the free version to try the software. This is a great opportunity for users because they can buy the software if they are satisfied with the features of the software. This software comes with many visual effects. I really like this software because of the simplicity. We do not need to follow any course to learn VideoPad. I learn it through using the software itself. This software supports many common video formats such as avi, mpeg, wmv, divX, Xvid, mp4, mov, vob etc. After finishing the edit we can directly burn it to a DVD or we can upload it to the YouTube through the software. No need to do the burning or uploading process separately.

Cons

We cannot output the video in mp4 format if we use the free version of the software. It is the major disadvantage of the free version. Because mp4 is the most common video format that supports most of the video players, this is a big drawback to VideoPad. But we can output mp4 video if we purchase the software. VideoPad is not suitable for professional video editors. Here we have only a limited amount of visual effects. VideoPad takes much time to render a video. Therefore we have to wait long time to get the final video output after editing the video.

Heidi H.

Much More Functional Than Similar Priced Software

Reviewed on 26/10/2018

I really like VideoPad. After struggling with other similar software I find it a huge relief to use their interface. When I create Intros, I go to other software to do that and bring it into VideoPad. But that's the only thing I create elsewhere. Much more robust and a lot easier to use than Wondershare Filmora.

Pros

I love that it's possible to create multiple video and audio tracks all layered. Wondershare Filmora does not allow this (!).
It's also possible to drag the tracks right and left on the timeline. Wondershare Filmora, for example, does not allow this either which makes it very challenging to do anything complex. So Videopad supports complex videos with many layers, which is what I always end up creating.
This software was the easiest video software for me to learn to use. The user interface is generally intuitive.
It has a lot of different kinds of transitions - definitely adequate for anything I plan to do
It has a lot of adjustment tools - ways to adjust the video color etc. - for the price.

Cons

It doesn't have as good intros as other software (Filmora Wondershare and Typito have way better intros)
Once a transition vanished from my video and even with emailing Help I couldn't ever future out a way to fix it. I had to do that part of the video in another program ultimately which was super inconvenient. But this is the only time that ever happened. Ever since transitions have always stayed.
The Help responses were slow and none of them helped. But at least people are there and do answer at least part of the time.

Santiago A.

It's worth every dollar

Reviewed on 08/05/2018

Easy to use, this program allows you to open almost any audio and video extension in the market. You can use its free version but it convinces you a lot, but it pays to pay a license for a work tool as good as this one. Others in the market worry about great visual details in the interface, but NCH reaches a balance that does not suffer your computer working or your patience.

Pros

What I like most is the simplicity that it offers to work with any video and audio. They offer you a platform of multiple resources for your video project. I have used it with complete satisfaction. Its use is not complicated, if you are looking for a good option and do not want to spend much this software is perfect with you. It is not as expensive as other options in the market, and it offers you, export in formats that others do not. I am very satisfied.

Cons

They should improve the details of the user interface, not bad, but it can be better. I like that it does not demand so many resources from the teams.

Jacqueline M.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

With VideoPad i can edit videos easily and they look great.

Reviewed on 14/05/2018

I'm learning a lot about the video editing

Pros

This is a super cool tool, because it is easy to use, which makes it ideal for beginning editors like me, but also has a number of options for the editions look professional. It is ideal for editing home videos, it is also ideal to upload videos to social networks directly.

Cons

The free version does not have the ability to export socially if it has the paid version, so if you want to test how you can publish your videos directly on social networks you have to buy the paid version.

Response from NCH Software

Hello there,

We are very sorry to hear you had this experience with our software.Some functions in our app do require an upgrade to the full version, however many features are completely free forever. We appreciate your feedback, our support team is always available if you have any further issues or concerns here: https://www.nch.com.au/support/supportcontact.html?software=VideoPad

-NCH Software Team

Kim U.

When it works - it's awesome

Reviewed on 23/04/2020

Pros

It's very easy to use and learn. It's has fine possibilities as a editor.

Cons

When the company come with a new version ($40 one more time) the SAVE files starting to corrupt and the old version stops working and crashing. First time I thought of it as a coincidence, second time... Today I lost 20 hours of work and I guess my students just have to wait 20 hours for a new version and I have to go all nighter.

Response from NCH Software

Hello Kim,

We apologize for the frustrations this may have caused. When editing, did you experience an error message? Our Support Team would love to hear from you. They are always available to help you here: https://www.nch.com.au/support/index.html

-NCH Software Team

Benjamin B.

Great Replacement for Windows Moviemaker

Reviewed on 13/03/2018

Pros

If you liked the simplicity of Windows movie maker, then you're going to like this software. For users who grew accustomed to the windows version, this will be easy to use.

Cons

Like Windows Movie Maker had it's drawbacks, so does this software. The sometimes frustrating nature of navigating clips and the lack of some advanced features make this not the choice for advanced users.

Response from NCH Software

Hello Benjamin,

In our efforts to better our products, Is there anything, in particular, we could improve? We would greatly appreciate your feedback as we are always looking to improve. You can share your suggestions directly with our Development Team here: http://www.nch.com.au/suggestions/index.html

-NCH Software Team

Lacey M.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great Editing, For A Great Price

Reviewed on 15/07/2019

Great, easy, and professional looking editing.

Pros

It allows terrific video and sound editing, along with green screen capabilities.

Cons

There isn't too much I would say that I don't like about the software. It could be a bit more user friendly, but otherwise, great quality.

Amanda S.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Awesome

Reviewed on 12/01/2020

I go to this app to edit all my videos and slide shows that I upload onto YouTube

Pros

I really love this video editing software. I’m pretty picky about editing programs and I keep coming back to this software

Cons

It’s just a free trial, I think companies should give people a example of the paid version for at least a month

Juan pablo B.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Video editing software

Reviewed on 29/06/2021

To use for youtube videos is ok and works for teams with no much video editng knowledge.

Pros

Easy to use for non professional teams. Has option for PC and Mac. Is easy to work and create good youtube videos.

Cons

We have had some issues with the exporting features. Missing more filters and effects for videos. Audio features are a little bit basic.

Chris S.

Great Software

Reviewed on 03/03/2020

Good

Pros

Downloaded this for free and whilst limited in terms of functionality, it does the job. You can also buy add ons.

Cons

Training is online and quite dated, but software is not too difficult to use.

Kelly F.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

A good inexpensive video editor

Reviewed on 29/03/2021

Pretty smooth and quick editing process overall is long as your pc has good memory.

Pros

This software is good for what you get and allows for alot of editing and transitions for video projects. Ive been able to make some nice looking projects with this software

Cons

Some more detailed editing features that youd expect from a more premium program are missing but you get what you pay for.

Cool free Video Editing software

Reviewed on 22/04/2019

Pros

Easy to use, makes your videos look and sound professional with a lot of awesome effects both video and sound wise. This is truly a spectacular software for editing.

Cons

There really is nothing not to like here.

Jim paul B.

VideoPad for Easy and Convenient Video Editing

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

I would give this software 3.5 out out of 5 stars because despite its basic features, it still stands out as a convenient tool that doesn't require much effort learning its buttons. The interface is so user-friendly and is a top-of-the-line application among video-editing tools.

It's not that pricey, that's why anyone can just afford it. And if you're lucky, you might be able to buy a premium version at a discounted price.

For a classroom teacher like me, I don't need high-end software other than a basic video-editing app like this. It works best for me because I'm able to accomplish much (creating video lessons for my classes) with less effort. It's super time-saver! Quality videos created with efficiency-- all thanks to VideoPad!

Pros

I like the easy-to-use features of VideoPad software because I find them convenient for newbies like me. In fact, it didn't take long for me to get the hang of the buttons because they are just plain and simple. The app is classic and is super user-friendly!

Also, there is pretty much a wide array of downloadables to choose from ranging from background templates, audios, transitions to font styles, stickers, and other effects. I also love the fact that the software allows users to update its system once in a while until a certain period of time where the user must purchase it again. By the way, I did avail the product at a discounted price, which makes this software really amazing.

Cons

For all the good things the VideoPad software has, unfortunately, it also comes with some disadvantages, one of which is its limitations when it comes to its effects and other elements. The functions of the tools are just plain basic, that if in case one wonders going technical or advanced in its video presentation, this application is not the one I would recommend. However, I could suggest that for optimum utilization, this can just be used as an easy-to-use software to complement other products out in the market, because this app also has other features that some tools don't have.

Jayla A.
  • Used for Free Trial

App Is Amazing for Beginners!

Reviewed on 23/03/2020

This app was helpful for YouTube videos until I had issues with rendering the video.
Back when I used it it reminded me of early 2000's movie makers. Not bad over all but just didn't work out for me.

Pros

I really enjoyed this app! Easy to use, Free no water marks, easy to use. When you have the feature to render it comes out in ok quality. I love the most that its free and easy to use. I'm not the hugest fan of this app but I would recommend it for school projects or quick slide shows. The app si very useful for starters.

Cons

The program doesn't render videos after a while, less features than I hoped to have like in the transition effects.

Michael C.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Smallest Video Editing Software I know

Reviewed on 28/06/2021

Brilliant software. Simple to use and takes very little of my PC's storage and RAM.

Pros

Most of video editing software or even audio editing software take up a lot of storage and ram. Not VideoPad. It's very small but can perform a lot of video editing functions. With this software, I can remove parts of the video that I don't want thus my video Ads are nice and clear. The fact that there's even an Android app for it makes it even more attractive

Cons

Since I started using this software, I have not had any problems that I can report here. NCH is doing a great job.

Sanjay S.

Videopad Review

Reviewed on 14/06/2021

Ignoring one or two shortcomings, it is still my favorite software for video editing for the last 6 years.

Pros

You have to study many editing softwares first, but the interface of Videopad is so simple that you create videos from day one and there is a lot of fun in working with Videopad.

Cons

Text effects are not too many on this software and When you type multiple subtitles in a video, the font or position you hold for one subtitle gets applied to all subtitles.

Joe A.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Underrated yet still very powerful

Reviewed on 20/04/2021

7/10

Pros

-Can use templates for ease of use
-Updates have improved over the years
-Can do green screen, voiceover, and many pro techniques
-Basic tasks are easy (cut, transition, add text)

Cons

-Not intuitive
-Lots of manual processes that take many steps
-Intimidating for beginners
-caching sometimes is an issue

Syed R.

‘VideoPad is a dynamic and user-friendly tool’

Reviewed on 17/09/2020

As I mentioned, I like to use Video Pad and this is more purposeful than similar priced produced. So, my overall experience with VideoPad is very good.

Pros

I am using VideoPad for a long time and I totally enjoy it when I work with it. Video editing became an interesting job for me. Because this tool allows you to choose a different video format. So that you can make the perfect videos for YouTube which increases the possibility of more view of the video. I would say this is a great advantage of using this tool. To edit 360 videos with VideoPad is super easy. I like to be creative with my videos and export those in a different format is a great option for me.

Cons

I wish if they could have more features and functions. Sometimes, I also observed to export different videos is a slow process. However, I think it’s a helpful tool and cost-effective.

Response from NCH Software

Hi there, thanks so much for your thoughtful and detailed review. This is incredibly helpful. We wanted to let you know we've taken the good and the bad elements you've mentioned in your review to heart. -NCH Software Team

Crystal Y.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used for 2+ years

Almost lost me, got me back

Reviewed on 20/08/2020

Overall I use this to create testimonial videos. I like that it is affordable with tons of features, and most of all, when I was having issues with the last upgrade, customer service fixed it for me in under 10 minutes. I thought it wouldn't be worth the hassle and was considering buying another kind of software, but it was so easy to fix the issue.

Pros

I'm a novice, but I like that after a bit of learning, I could use it creatively with more options than I really needed

Cons

I feel like it is more on me as a novice user, but it take a long time to edit video!

Response from NCH Software

Hi there, Thank you very much for your balanced and fair review. We are glad that you are happy with VideoPad. We've taken your thoughts to heart and we will continue to make improvements on our next releases based on your recommendations. -NCH Software Team

Gonzalo B.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Lighter than others but as powerful

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

Great for homemade movies and a bit more, quite robust for its simplicity I would recommend it for everyone that need a cost-effective, simple and easy to use with a not so steep learning curve. Recommended.

Pros

VideoPad has been my choice to cut, quickly edit and create simple, home-made films for over a year now. I love how simple is the interface, it reminds me a bit to the good old MovieMaker but way more feature-rich and able to cope with something more than a few pictures and text. I love that I can layout my videos on layers, something that the big players on the market have (being the heaviest and most expensive) but the simplest don't.
As soon as I opened VideoPad I was welcomed with a nice and simple hybrid: easy to use but yet powerful enough to have layers, speed adjust and export into multiple formats easily.

Cons

There is not much to dislike, what I do remember is that even if I got the non-commercial license it keeps asking me to verify I am using it for non-profit only.

Katie K.
  • Used for 2+ years

Steep learning curve

Reviewed on 11/08/2019

Pros

the final product looks as good as you make it

Cons

Steep learning curve if you're new to editing. Sound problems

Response from NCH Software

Hi Katie,

Thank you for your feedback. We offer free video tutorial on VideoPad's basic tools and effects that can help ease your learning curve. You can find those here: https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/tutorial.html

If you have any questions, our Support Team is always ready to help you here: https://www.nch.com.au/support/supportcontact.html?software=VideoPad

-NCH Software Team

My own view

Reviewed on 26/03/2019

I am using it to create videos for my YouTube channel, mostly creative common videos. I use it to edit the videos to my desired choice before I upload it to my YouTube channel. So far so good, it has really being helpful and useful to me in so many ways.

Pros

I Like the aspect of it allowing users to join multiple videos together, e.g two or more videos.

Cons

It's not easy saving edited video in mp4 format.

Response from NCH Software

Hello there, thank you for contacting us.
We offer free video tutorials that will show you how to perform VideoPad's tasks including saving your videos to an MP4 format. You can find these here: https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/tutorial.html#mp4
If you have any further questions or concerns, our Support team will be more than happy to help you here: https://www.nch.com.au/support/supportcontact.html?software=VideoPad
-NCH Software Team

Grato P.

Is a very easy to use, practical and functional editor

Reviewed on 05/07/2018

Pros

With videoPad you do not need to be a professional in editing, it is practical, functional and intuitive. I not only use it to edit video, I can also edit an audio file and change its format

Cons

It is an excellent editor but with basic and limited functionalities. If what you want is to do simple jobs, it is a great option