Blackboard Learn

Write a Review!
A marketing-leading LMS for education, biz, gov, and more.

4.1/5
4.1/5
3.9/5
4.0/5

Abhuday
Abhuday
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Easy and flexible learning management system.

Reviewed on 16/04/2023

Students are satisfied with it.

Students are satisfied with it.

Pros

It has very strong and fast customer support service.

Cons

It's bit costly and there are no free version.

Moodle

Reasons for Choosing Blackboard Learn

More features are there in Blackboard.

Google Classroom
Newkirk
  • Industry: Libraries

Blackboard Learn for Aiken Technical College's Embedded Librarian Program

Reviewed on 09/02/2023

I post announcements about our Library's online resources and also monitor a Discussion Board thread called "Ask a Librarian." I get plenty of questions in the Discussion Board and also in response to the announcements, especially closer to assignment due dates.

Pros

I can post a variety of media in the Announcements section and in the Content Areas. The more options I can give students to access the information they need, the better.

Cons

There may be a way to do this and I haven't figured out how yet, but I would like to be able to transfer a whole content area from one course to another instead of starting from scratch each time.

Moodle

Reasons for Switching to Blackboard Learn

It had better functionality with the campus portal.
Richard
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Blackboard - Really clunky!

Reviewed on 05/03/2020

At our institution Bb Learn instructions sometimes don't match the local implementation.

Pros

What I like most about the software is what is is *supposed* to do: serve as a total course management system.

Cons

Everything about Blackboard is clunky — at least as it is set up in our university. Operations that should be drag and drop require multiple clicks. Nearly every function in Blackboard is present in other generic software and works more efficiently. In addition, Blackboard (as set up in our school) forces templates onto teachers, Redoing the templates into usable form takes lots of clicks.

Here are two examples of the most egregious design errors.

1. The Bb gradebook. It vaguely resembles like Excel or Google sheets in how functions. But unlike spreadsheets where one can easily duplicate columns and reassign formulas, the Gradebook requires separate multiple-menu-click operations for every column creation, every grade entry and every grade change. We find little flexibility in creating grading formulas, compared to off-the-shelf spreadsheet programs. And the import-export functions of Bb gradesheets to generic spreadsheets is so clunky that it is unusable.

2. Course duplication. Bb allows the teacher to duplicate a course. Except it doesn't really work. If you try and duplicate the course you taught in the year 2020 for use in 2021, you find that Blackboard will duplicate the general template for all university courses without importing all of the eaacher's innovations.

Rafael
Rafael
  • Industry: Higher Education

One of the best e-learning softwares for (higher) education

Reviewed on 13/07/2021

My overall experience with Blackboard Learn is amazing, since it is a platform that has all the features (and beyond) I need for higher education (as a student).
The communication and course management are just spot on.
I feel this software has a great potential and amazing capabilities and it is definitely my favorite e-learning platform. I could easily recommend it to any higher education student/teacher.

Pros

What I like the most about Blackboard Learn is the amazing and complete features it offers to its users.
I use this software for higher education (as a student) and it is very complete and reliable. I can track all my courses, appointments, works, grades, files and many more in the same place, which is perfect for me.
I also like the fact I can communicate with my teachers within this platform and the possibility to activate the email notifications for every course is a great add-up for this software.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is the User Interface (UI), as I consider the navigability could be better and the features could yet be more accessible and easier to use.
Other than that, I don't have any other "complaints" about Blackboard Learn.
I may mention that in the beginning of the pandemic, with the introduction of online classes, this software was a life-saver and my institution needed to contact the support team, who was very responsive and agile to solve all the issues at that time.

Arturo
Arturo

Your new classroom (digital)

Reviewed on 26/05/2022

The experience that Blackboard gives you is satisfactory since several other platforms, its management system between courses, and the power to upload files or open documents that teachers upload to their respective courses, are not as easy to do as in blackboard, since the software is very friendly for students like us and makes it not cost us work in performing all its functions that it gives us.

Pros

Being still a student, I love the ease with which I can move within the interface and change courses because if you have several subjects, you can easily locate them and see the content very easily. Inside the software, you can see practically everything as if it were a classroom since you can hold virtual meetings, see your content/tasks to do, see your final grades, take your final exams, etc. It is a platform that stands out for its excellence in education since the page rarely crashes or presents some difficulties.

Cons

It may be difficult at first to navigate through the different menus/pages/courses because the platform does not give us that simply look the first time we see it, as unlike its competitors in the market, this one has a slightly less friendly view. But it is rescued if for example our school/university gives us within Blackboard a small tutorial on the essentials you should know about this software.
But honestly, I do not see many cons to Blackboard because it is a platform that gives us what we are looking for and that is why it is one of the top e-learning software.

Kim
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Better Learning Tool Out There

Reviewed on 09/11/2021

Overall my experience with Blackboard was not bad but since using other software I do prefer the others to Blackboard Learn.

Pros

Hosting courses on Blackboard is better than having another software. Helps with managing your class and multiple users can work together to add work to it. Integration with zoom is great and necessary. Eases the maintenance that comes with large classes for teacher assistants and professors.

Cons

So many features could be improved. We now use Canvas and prefer that to Blackboard Learn. Need more integration and more improvements on the mobile app.

Luis Carlos
Luis Carlos

Does the job and has everything you need

Reviewed on 28/12/2021

I like that it does a little bit of everything. Some other professors at my university liked to rely on BB Learn for everything, including video-conference and online exams. Being as feature rich as it is, BB Learn has the problem that the user interface might be very challenging for some people. I guess you either really like it or really don't, so when it doesn't click you can get frustrated by a lot of things. Still, for the people loving it, they will make the most out of it. One of the best tools out there. Easy to recommend for general purposes.

Pros

I like that if you're a power user and your students get into it, this is probably the only eLearning tool you will ever need. It has everything from homework assignments to actual video-conference; besides of the usual tools like forums and work groups. The online exams are very useful, specially if you don't want to manually grade tons and tons of tests.

Cons

I don't like the user interface. Most of the tools are one more click away than I think they should. Very useful things like the exams are really powerful, but creating them is so awkward that sometimes you prefer to just handle a document.

Steven
  • Industry: Medical Devices

How Blackboard Contributed to My College Success

Reviewed on 15/09/2023

Blackboard Learn is an invaluable tool for universities across the country. It removes much of the unneeded paperwork via online assignments that automatically grade themselves (which is also wonderful on the student side, receiving immediate feedback). My college experience was improved by having Blackboard in it, as I had been to schools with inferior software that was more frustrating to utilize.

Pros

Blackboard is an easy to use learning management system that eases the stress of juggling college courses for the student and professor both. Blackboard is easy to format, and very conducive to discussion between professors and students via the discussion board or the other tools provided.

Cons

When I was a college freshman, it was one of the first years my university used Blackboard. This caused a slight learning curve between the professors as they used the website the first year, which they asked for patience for. This is understandable, however, and in my sophomore-senior year the professors had a firm grasp of the program and it was not an issue.

• Industry: Writing & Editing

Blackboard Learn is a Good Tool for Students

Reviewed on 17/11/2023

Pros

Blackboard Learn is one of the easiest platforms for college students to navigate. I like that I can talk to my professors in real - time.

Cons

There was nothing I didn't like about it.

Often Replaced, But Worth a Look

Reviewed on 05/11/2023

I still use it as a backup in my other classes. It's still useful even when out of front-line service

Pros

Blackboard is often being replaced with D2L/Brightspace, including at my college. However, it comes with a number of advantages. It's relatively easy to use and includes Blackboard UltraCollaborate, which was essential during the pandemic as a remote learning tool

Cons

It tends to delete older classes without informing the professor, making it harder to use or reuse older material

Laura
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

BB Learn-the old workhouse

Reviewed on 27/05/2022

I will continue to use BB Learn or soon we will be using Ultra, for as long as I have to for my job. If my job were to ask me should we keep BB or switch to another LMS - I would say SWITCH!

One of the absolute worst features within BB is the Voice thread area. I used to use it and had to teach others how to use it. They (BB) decided to "improve it" a couple years ago and now it is so difficult to use that I tried to create user guides and could not get it to work and it was so complicated now, I have given up on it entirely and do not recommend that area at all for anyone to use.

Pros

I like the powerful features and security of the program

Cons

BB is the most frustrating program I have ever used. It was one of the 1st LMS programs-I have heard. Its design is clunky and seems to be created by someone with little UXUI experience, I mean UXUI was a field that was known only by the people in the top of their field 20+ years ago so that would make sense! The lack of logical design for buttons and search areas is aggravating. The lack of them going back and changing things for the better and getting a visual designer and UXUI person involved NOW to fix the program-is again aggravating. An example to add a user, you click on a menu item-it goes to a window on the right and there is a search field there which one is supposed to ignore and know somehow to click on a button that does not look like a button called "Find Users To Enroll". WHY, is the search field even showing? Do you know how many times if I get away form using BB for a few weeks or months I end up typing in that filed instead of a button that does not look like a button? Explaining to faculty to NOT type in the field is a constant, because your intuition thinks the design makes sense-it does not.

Juliette

A Good Software but Needs Updating

Reviewed on 29/08/2021

Blackboard Learn is a good software, but it needs some updating to look more current. If it looked more current, customers could take advantage of all the functions of this software. I used it in a very basic way simply because I did not like the look of the interface.

Pros

This software allowed me to view my assignments for college and check my grades as well. Instructors used Blackboard to post important announcements and assignments. Overall, the software was easy to navigate and easy to understand. I liked the "Announcements" board of this software as it allowed professors to post important messages that could be found in a single place. The "Alert" feature was also very useful when there was a grade or assignment update.

Cons

Blackboard has many features, but I was not able to take full advantage of them because of how the platform itself looked. The Blackboard platform, especially the black bar on the left hand side, was always confusing and the site itself looked pretty old. When my university actually switched over to Canvas, students missed the layout of Blackboard, but not the actual software, which looked like it was several years old. If the actual interface looked better, I think it would be easier to navigate.

Brian
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great way to manage several classes with great flexibility to match personal style

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

Overall it’s an improvement over just 20 years ago when a syllabus and careful listening were the only way to connect with students. Also, I’ve had great success sharing ideas with colleagues. Of course, faculty can be just irritating as the abovementioned students. I’d say an “ignore” buttons would make this score go from a 7 to a 9.

Pros

I love the ability to reach all of my students or any subgroup in multiple ways. For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized l.

Cons

The law of unintended consequences applies directly to blackboard. The same convenient and varied options that make the product great also give students more access (and wildly unrealistic expectations) to their professors. This is great for the 5% of students who have helpful and legitimate questions, but obnoxious for those who expect instant responses, midnight submissions, and A grades for D papers because “they clearly are trying. Just look at their blackboard logs and see!”

Angelica

Blackboard learn a way of improving virtual times

Reviewed on 09/11/2023

Overall excellent experience when familiarized with all tools even though, their continuous updates make it difficult to say that you know the platform 100 percent

Pros

Platform organization, accessibility (accessible on mobile devices), and also ensures a safe and protected learning environment.

Cons

The cost of the platform compared to other learning platforms. Also, complexity when first exposed to it

ZAiN
ZAiN

Industry Standard LMS

Reviewed on 20/02/2023

Blackboard integrated seamlessly with our current system, Microsoft Teams

Blackboard integrated seamlessly with our current system, Microsoft Teams

Pros

With an established ecosystem and many tools available, Blackboard is my go to LMS for schools and other educational institutions

Cons

Blackboard is a bit pricey, however you get a polished piece of software.

CANVAS , Absorb LMS and Schoology
Abigail
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Fine product, needs updating

Reviewed on 30/03/2022

Blackboard Learn helps students stay organized during the semester or course they are taking by having all the documents, videos, etc. that the teacher would like to share with them all in one place. But, Blackboard Learn is becoming very outdated and could use some serious UI updates, especially when compared to Canvas.

Pros

It's nice to have all the assignments, documents, and grades in one place. This helps to avoid professors handing out tons of papers or sending emails all the time. The mobile app sends push notifications about grades or upcoming assignment deadlines which is nice.

Cons

I have noticed some glitches using Blackboard (didn't get notifications, etc). The UI on the computer is outdated and counterintuitive in some ways for both students and instructors. The online service is completely different from the app version which can also be a problem. The online UI needs to be updated to look more like the app.

Prateek
Prateek

Exceptional Learning Management Systems Provide Integration With Third-Party Applications

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

The platform helps me because I can continue my education from a distance using the various alternatives offered by Blackboard. It is an entire LMS system, incredibly user-friendly, and connects with a variety of audio and video resources.

Pros

I love that everything for all of my classes is accessible on Blackboard Learn in a single area. I have access to all of the resources, tests, and homework that my instructors have uploaded. the platform's user-friendliness. For instance, it can be effectively used by both the instructor and the students. You can see all of your selections on the bar to the left.

Cons

I can't think of anything about Blackboard Learn that I dislike, to be completely honest. It has been an excellent resource for online learning and classes. I may interact with my professor and fellow students, take part in debates, and access and watch my lectures.

Blackboard LMS

Reviewed on 25/09/2018

Classrooms disorganized?! Not with Blackboard! This will make classroom administration a breeze, saving your instructors and administrators a lot of time and make your classroom management 1000% more efficient!

Pros

The greatest feature of this product is the ease of use with regards to its navigation. When we started using Blackboard LMS, I literally trained a large portion of our staff on the ins and outs of the software in less than 2 hours. This has made classroom organization the easiest it has been in decade. Our instructors can distribute class materials, assignments, and grades with a few clicks. It is absolutely amazing!

Cons

Installation can be both lengthy and problematic if you are moving from an incompatible LMS. While we were lucky, we still ran into bugs while making our transition. This was frustrating, but was luckily done during the summer, when attendance was at its lowest.

Prutha

Great LMS for University

Reviewed on 07/06/2022

It is very customizable to your individual class/course. I would highly recommend it.

Pros

I have used this as a user and as an administrator and it is a great LMS. I allows for easy communication sent to all students/teachers in a course.

Cons

There is limited activity tracking for students and visuals could be improved.

CANVAS

Overall ease of use.
Joshua
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Great LMS for school or uni

Reviewed on 15/07/2022

Pros

Blackboard is reliable and easy to use LMS, requiring little to no direction or training for new users. Communication and notifications are great, found all in one place for easy access and viewing. Gradebook is another fantastic feature. All the information about your assessments can be found in one place, including submission dates, marking criteria and overall grades. Submission process is great, allowing users to thoroughly review their documents and their similarity report before submission.

Cons

UI could be updated to be more user-friendly, e.g., minimise clicks, add more shortcuts for site navigation. Features to allow for collaboration in group projects/tasks would be useful as many users prefer external software for collaboration, communication between students and instructors and productivity. However, it is perfectly adequate for users familiar with the LMS.

Justin
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Blackboard Learn

Reviewed on 07/05/2018

Pros

Blackboard is one of the giants of the e-learning industry, so you can expect resourcing and the support indicative of a premier product. The mobile experience was relatively intuitive, which is a must in the current environment where students may be working full time while earning an online degree.

Cons

Compared to other learning management systems (such as Canvas or Schoology), Blackboard reflects the features and structuring of learning management systems of days gone by - specifically, it is structured most closely around a 'document dump' approach to online learning. This approach has been soundly refuted in the research, and while one can certainly design a quality learning environment, many of your end users will likely not have the discernment to do so. From a student's perspective, it is often difficult to access key pieces such as messaging and grades when enrolled in multiple courses at once.

Christopher

Undergraduate Learning with Blackboard Learn

Reviewed on 19/03/2020

My overall experience with Blackboard Learn was optimal as a student in college.

Pros

I found this advantageous when I was in college as an undergraduate. It was great to track my course work and online assignments through this LMS. For its time it was adequate with the UI layout but to modern look and feel of websites and web application software in 2020 it would be outdated unless they revamped the display of everything.

Cons

It was just a bit clunky at times and occasionally a pain in the @$$ but it still got the job done. It might have been that my student user rights weren't fully configured and there was a lack of training from the university for students to use the tool and not on the fault of Blackboard Learn.

Diana Grace

The best LMS under new normal education

Reviewed on 05/11/2022

Using Blackboard use our official LMS is really convenient to both faculty and students. We can easily track our students' process and students can track all the modules and learning materials upload in it. Assessment can be access anytime, with proper setting and there's a lot of feature.

Pros

What I like most about blackboard is the item analyzer which help us educator to secure that test and assessment given to students are align with intended learning outcome an. I also like the respondus that secure honest and credible exams.

Cons

There is also no enough storage. Every upload of documents or videos occupy a huge amount of BB storage, thus we need to procure additional storage.

Simon

Hard to use software that is also very expensive!

Reviewed on 19/08/2020

Okay.

Okay.

Pros

Blackboard LMS is great for schools as well as faculty in organizing their class materials although it can be a bit confusing for your average user.

Cons

Price and the fact it was hard to implement.

FACTS

FACTS

Use in schools.
Krista

Blackboard is better than nothing

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

Personally, I do not like Blackboard Learn, but it does serve its purpose. I have had dozens of students who have been able to complete courses despite their frustration and earn credits towards their high school diploma.

Pros

Blackboard Learn enables teachers to create online courses, which allows students in remote locations to earn credits and complete a high school diploma.

Cons

Blackboard Learn is a frustrating platform to use. Every page, image, module is saved into a new "Blackboard" format, which is not compatible with anything else. In fact, often it changes text to image so that they only way to edit the text is to either start from scratch or go into the coding itself.