HMA

Virtual private network software for securing online traffic

4.1/5
4.1/5
4.5/5
4.2/5

56 Software options

Iyanu V.

Fast & Good VPN but can also be deceptional

Reviewed on 07/11/2018

Pros

HMA has plenty of IPs available for almost all countries in the World and keeps no logs of any of them, it is totally secure and very fast.
It has all the feature a standard VPN should have including kill switch, Cross-Platform Support, one-click connect and disconnect, and so on.

Cons

Only a few locations in the USA, Canada, and the UK work perfectly, selecting a city in the USA might end up with you having the IP of Czech Republic and this is the same with some of the P2P enabled locations.
It is best to verify the IP and Country for each location so as to be sure.

Response from Privax

Thank you for your feedback.
When it comes to locations, we tend to have at least one server in every state.
We're known to have more server locations than any other provider. If you need some specific location, please wire here https://goo.gl/JUYit9, we'll pass your feedback to our networking team.
As for Czech Republic issue, it has been mostly resolved by now.

Sudeep A.
  • Industry: Publishing

Popular but maybe not the best now

Reviewed on 15/04/2019

Pros

It is still quite fast. It unblocks even Netflix! There are many servers all over, so works well even when I'm travelling. I can use it on Mac as well as Windows computers, and the interface is easy! The choices of modes is also convenient.

Cons

It stores the IPs. Not reliable in China.

Response from Privax

Thank you for your comment.

Although China blocks VPN connections in general, it may be still possible to use HMA depending on your ISP provider and type of network you use. We encourage you to test our VPN as we offer 30 days money back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose!

Caleb T.
  • Industry: Wireless
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Decent VPN for whatever your needs may be.

Reviewed on 27/03/2018

Pros

Definitely good for remaining anonymous on the web from snooping eyes. It also can help you get around blocked websites blocked by many orgabizations. Always connects and not many issues.

Cons

I use The free version, which you don't get to choose your server. You usually get a foreign one which can mess with search results. If you're on a paid an you do get to choose US locations, which are faster and localized. Guess it comes down to whether youbwanna pay or not.

Gede ananda A.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

HideMyAss more like HideMyIP

Reviewed on 12/08/2020

Been using various VPN from time time, like other VPN, HideMyAss offers user protection surfing the Internet more safely and Privately. Compared to other paid or free VPN, HideMyAss is the most Interesting VPN in my opinion, from the name and logo this VPN caught my attention.

Pros

Various server location user can choose as they want, no need to configure anything, just install - login - use, for personal, I use it for gaming and so far HMA have decent stability and low latency even on heavy load. HMA also available on all platform, and 1 account can be used simultaneously on my PC and Android.

Cons

Has some "bad" server, server jump without any notification, sometimes connecting to the server taking ages and can a little bit pricy compared to another VPN with the same features

Victor W.

Browsing anonymously

Reviewed on 22/04/2018

Pros

I love the logo ,it reeks personality .The selection if IPs is rich ,which is very good when you need to change them regularly .

Cons

However one of the reasons for needing to change regularly is that a lot of the IPs are slow or dead as a whole. There is definitely room for improvement there .

Straightforward easy to use, handy and gets the job done for me

Reviewed on 01/05/2018

Pros

Fast and efficient while still remaining anonymous. Although not as versatile or as powerful as other softwares in this same industry, this gets the job done and has a long standing reputation.

Cons

It could be alittle more feature rich with functionality, and it can be clunky sometimes I have experienced when loading it up initially, but overall it is a great proxy software to use that I recommend.

Andrew M.

A good VPN, but with some flaws.

Reviewed on 05/02/2019

It seemed good, but definitely not a good price, although not the highest far.
The app works fine on my device. But if there is an issue I never had any luck with customer service. I just gave up.
If they sorted out the privacy issues (which surely is the main reason for using VPN), I would consider them in the future.

Pros

This was easy to use and seemed to do a good job. They have worldwide servers and the speeds seemed good and steady.

Cons

I could not get Netflix. Reports and reviews showed security issues, and they have to give up certain information to government agencies This seems to defeat the purpose. Can only use 2 devices with an account. That seems too limiting.

Response from Privax

Thank you for your review.

Could you please contact us here https://goo.gl/JUYit9

as we assure you our service does work with Netflix.
It will be our pleasure to assist you.

Marco antonio P.

Hide My Ass it's a expensive VPN with a powerful Secure OpenVPN encryption

Reviewed on 23/05/2018

Hide My Ass allows me to browse anonymously on the internet and it prevents anyone lurking on my local network from monitoring or intercepting my network activity.

Pros

It has a huge number of fast servers, it allows five simultaneous connections, with a great in Android app, it's come with a powerful Secure OpenVPN encryption.

Cons

Relies heavily on virtual server locations, it has a poor customer service, it's expensive, and does not have a ad blocking protection.

Kaloyan Z.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Good way to stay protected online

Reviewed on 14/04/2018

Pros

I really like their branding , the service is very smart in how they present themselves . It is a good VPN service and their premium IPs are reliable and do the job.

Cons

They originally had free IPs ,of admittedly lower quality .The feature is no longer available and it was a good way got get your feet wet in the VPN world .

Ryan Z.

HideMyAss is a good solution for a VPN

Reviewed on 13/07/2020

Easy and fast, I would recommend to anyone looking for online anonymity

Pros

Simple and well known and easy to use. Up and running fast and simple set up. There are several options out there, but HideMyAss gets the job done

Cons

sometimes the interface lags, but nothing really sticks out as something I like least about it. Works well for what it is

Easy to use but not flawless

Reviewed on 07/07/2020

The application was used for QA testing of various applications, mimicking the real location and testing the functionality of VPN detection. As a paid tool, compared to other similar applications and free alternatives it is still an affordable option for professional or hobby QA testers even with low budget.

Pros

Easy to use and select target GEO with the dedicated app. Minimal setup is required, everything is self-explanatory

Cons

Often refused to connect or just jumped to another server without notification. Found a little bit expensive compared to the competition. Detected that real IP address leaks in certain situations.

Opeyemi O.

Hidemyass review

Reviewed on 06/12/2018

Pros

Privacy; this is a bit tricky as from my perspective, this part of the vpn is both an advantage and a disadvantage depending on where you are coming from. The intetnet privacy collects some sort of information that will be detailed in the cons but the good thing is, they never track your usage and the websites you visit and that is some sort of privacy you paid for.
Speed; depending on whether ypu are using the service on a smartphone or a personal computer, there's never that slugiish feeling that comes with using free vpn trials, your internet connection is as swift as ever, only that now you're shielded from every prying eyes that's interested in what you do on the internet.
Simplicity; hma's ease of use can be compared to no other as just about anyone can get around the interface to get to their various needs.
Vastness; hma deserves all the accolades when it comes to the available servers presented to you to choose from, there's a lot of vpns out there with promises of a wide selection of servers when you upgrade to their subscription based service, at the end of the day, what you get is not usually what you paid for.

Cons

Pricing; in all sincerity, to some class of people, the pricing of their services is fair but to others, it's not so fair as there are other alternatives with cheaper subscription fee, the company will do better for themselves to review the pricings.
Extended options; there's little to no provision for power users who use vpns for more thsn bypassing restrictions on multimedia websites, some of us use vpn for accessing our funds on online payment systems who are strict on how you access your account, a slight change in your ip address can ruin years of hardwork as cash of many has been stranded cause of this oversight
PC user interface; the ux team must be headed by someone who is as lazy as lazy can get as he somehow maneuvered his way to port the smartphone interface on personal computers and it is an eye sore.
Privacy; with hma you don't have all the privacy you paid for as some information that might make you uncomfortable is being collected as you surf the net

Response from Privax

Hello,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback.
We have shared it with our developers.

We will use your suggestion to improve our service.

Okikiola B.

For good connection and anonymous surfing

Reviewed on 12/04/2019

I was able to bypass some country restrictions.

Pros

I purchased a subscription for 1 year and i've been enjoying it so far. I can connect up to 5 devices at once. I love this specially because they provide server in all states in USA. They have a fast live customer chat too.

Cons

I believe their fee is a bit high. I was able to purchase mine because i was given a promo code. Also, this VPN connects wronglt to another location sometimes. I may choose to connect to New York but HMA will give me CZECH REPUBLIC IP Address. They should work more on this.

Response from Privax

Hello,

Thank you for your rate.

Please allow us to explain that the price is as it is because maintaining our number of servers, and other qualities require costs.

When it comes to the Cz issue you describe, please feel free to contact us here https://goo.gl/JUYit9, we'd be glad to help you

• Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Good VPN Service

Reviewed on 04/02/2019

It is a relatively good product - been on the market for a number of years which adds credibility and trust. However since this didn't work 100% of the time I stopped using the service.

Pros

You're able to select from 280 locations in terms of IP to use. This gives enough flexibility and ability to access almost any website on the internet.

Cons

The service still doesn't work with all platforms online, so I wouldn't say this is the only service you need to watch "anything" online.

Response from Privax

Thank you for your rate, we're glad that you are mostly happy with our service.

When it comes to streaming, although VPN is a completely legitimate way to virtually change your IP address, many online services are trying to fight this workaround for their restrictions.

Irena M.

It does indeed hideyourass

Reviewed on 01/12/2018

Pros

There is a fairly rich selection of https VPNs ,which are normally quick .Works as advertised

Cons

There are cheaper options with a richer selection .

Response from Privax

Thank you for your review.

Regarding the price matter, we'd like to explain that certain quality requiters costs.
We offer more servers than any other VPN, and maintaining them requires costs. We also offer a completely free multilingual customer support that loves helping to our clients.

Peter V.
  • Used for 2+ years

A good VPN provider ,but definitely not the best

Reviewed on 10/05/2019

Pros

A fairly rich and varied selection of addresses ,most of which are quick to load .

Cons

I began with the free addresses they posted on their sites and gradually moved to premium when they removed that . Since then there has been a constant drop in the quality of service and VPNs you get ,eventually leaving me to switch .

Response from Privax

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

The free addresses that you mention are actually free web proxy and they are still available here https://www.hidemyass.com/en-eu/proxy

However, as we are a VPN provider, we focus more on VPN

A VPN will automatically encrypt your entire Internet connection and as such all applications on your computer will be secured, whereas with a web proxy, you'll need to configure certain applications manually (such as your web browser). VPNs use stronger encryption methods and are therefore considered more secure than web proxies.

Great for checking geo restricted campaigns

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

Pros

We often have to check tracking of campaigns that are geo restricted, thus we need a way to make it appear that we are accessing the URL from another location. This is where HideMyAss comes in. The interface is easy to use and makes it quick to access the desired IP location.

Cons

Speed hasn't always been blazing, but that it's not a problem for our purposes.

Response from Privax

Thank you for your comments, your input means a great deal to us.

When it comes to the speed, the thign is that when you use VPN, the speed varies due to the distance between you, your ISP and the VPN server you're connected to. Furthermore, due to security protocols and VPN encryption, you can expect somewhat slower than normal speeds.

Feel free to contact us directly regarding this matter.

Kate L.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

An great VPN tool with convenient and efficient features.

Reviewed on 30/01/2019

Pros

This tool is a great VPN service. We can buy subscription packages at quite low rates. Their service is quite efficient and we can access any country and their respective divisions with this tool . We can also favorite our servers and keeps them using again and again. It allows secure browsing with protection from hackers and location trackers. Customer service is also very helpful which helps and guides in a very productive manner.Overall, a great service.

Cons

Been using this tool for a while and haven't faced any issues at all. I'm very much happy with the service and the tool.

Response from Privax

Thank you for your review.
Your satisfaction is our utmost priority, and we are happy to have ecstatic clients like you.

Thank you for using HMA!

Dennis N.

Am using it while developing an application that is only availlable in some countries.

Reviewed on 09/03/2018

Pros

I like the most that it's pretty simple to use and fast, also the search bar makes my life complete because sometimes i need to connect to a specifc city and i dont have to search in that huge dropdown.

Cons

I don't like that the window is very small and i feel like they could go for a bigger one and show more information in one screen only, then it could be possible to operate this app without many clicks and navigations through the screens.

Ama D.

It just works!

Reviewed on 23/09/2018

I have had a flawless experience so far using it.

Pros

Hidemyass was easy to install. It is also very easy to use as you just select the country that you want to 'appear' to be working in and you're connected. Disconnecting or choosing another location is as easy as pie. This takes away from the apprehension I initially had about it possibly taking a lot technically to set up.

Cons

None. It puts this kind of service in the hands of the ordinary PC user as opposed to being some super technical hacker to make it happen.

Response from Privax

Thank you for your comment Ama.

Thank you for being a great customer. We value your relationship.

Raul V.
  • Industry: Music

Recommendaded

Reviewed on 15/08/2018

Its a good service and very safe but I used it for a short time and preferred to use a cheaper one and I can connect more devices.

Pros

In general is a very good service, has many servers and the connection is fast, reliable and without problems. It is also very easy to upload heavy files.

Cons

It can connect to 2 devices simultaneously, it does not have a free version and analyzing its price with other VPN's is more expansive, also takes time to configure and install it.

• Industry: Broadcast Media

Disappointing Experience

Reviewed on 10/04/2019

This is the first time using HideMyAss. I have used other VPN services in the past. It was simple to install but it was all downhill after that. I didn't bother with the trial. I signed up and paid for a month to month subscription right off the bat. My main issues, it took almost 5 minutes to connect to a server. Then it kept dropping the connection after that. I installed it on my Windows PC, Chromebook and Android phone. It hasn't work on any of them. The biggest issue is it doesn't connect period. It just sits their saying connecting...but then never does. Very disappointed and I have already canceled my subscription.

Pros

It was simple to install and had no issues as far as that's concerned.

Cons

Poor consistency with connections. It just hasn't worked for me at all.

Response from Privax

Hello,

We're sorry top hear you had issues with using our service.
The good news is that in the meantime we have released a new software version, and you shouldn't meet the same issues anymore.

Please feel free to contact us here https://goo.gl/JUYit9
as wed be delighted to help you.

Sam Z.
  • Industry: Animation

Good for what I need.

Reviewed on 28/09/2020

I primarily use it for streaming purposes as an added security measure.

Pros

I use the free Chrome extension, and I love that a free extension is available. It's on and off with a click of a button.

Cons

It's interfered with some internet functionality in the past. This may be a common thing with VPNs, though I don't imagine so.

Monday A.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used for 2+ years

One of the best VPN I have used

Reviewed on 26/11/2018

HideMyAss is good and for business wise it will be one of the best because of multiple servers and one license can be used on multiple computers and mobile gadget.

Pros

HideMyAss is one of the best VPN I have used and really efficient because of the several and multiple servers the have. They have over 10,000 servers and that gives me the choice to select any server location that I wish to use. It is equally cheap compared to other VPN services. I will recommend this VPN service to any person who is looking for a cheap VPN service with multiple location and their customer service is very fast and efficient and always respond to any inquiries.

Cons

HideMyAss is good but I discovered that some of their servers are not really good. It is either they are blacklisted or their DNS will be showing that of your country which you resides and that is not suppose to be so. Unless you contact their customer care before they will fix it. They should try and check on their servers before they give it out to the public for use.

Response from Privax

Thank you for your comment, we're happy to know you are content with our service, your satisfaction is our top-most priority.

When it comes to DNS issue that you describe, we'd be glad to help you with it, just contact us here please https://goo.gl/JUYit9 we'll do all we can to resolve the issue.

Melanie A.
  • Industry: Publishing

Don't Let'em Find You

Reviewed on 18/02/2020

I really enjoy all of the options you get with HMA. It saves you time and worry. I won't go back to regular internet surfing. HMA has spoiled me.

Pros

HMA is a terrific VPN. Its easy to use program allows you to be safe from prying eyes. This program allows you to be safe whether you are streaming television shows or completing a work assignment. You can access restricted sites as well as your favorite ones. You;ll never have to guess about online safety again.

Cons

The free use of this VPN will keep it very busy. It will slow tremendously. You will have to check the different countries you travel to. Their are many that don't allow VPN use.

Response from Privax

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for your great review. Keeping you safe and private online is our top priority, so it means a lot to us that we have spoiled you in that sense :)
There are ofcourse some countries that have internet restrictions and this may of course affect the use of our VPN, but our customer support is always there to find a possible workaround. Feel free to get in touch anytime this restrictions affect your use of our service.