Nowsta

Workforce management tool to handle payroll & work shifts

4.7/5

Monica D.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Saves time to book staff

Reviewed on 27/01/2020

We are a catering company and we use Nowsta for time and attendance for our in-house staff as well as our staff working off-site events out in the field. We love the ability to see how far away the staff member clocks in. Having the captains able to clock in and out the staff is a plus for staff who forgets their phone or is late and doesn't clock in.

Pros

Scheduling staff for events is a breeze. With multiple events displayed at once, we can click and drag staff to the event best suited for them. The report showing a spreadsheet as to the average number of minutes it takes staff to confirm events and the percentage that staff says yes to working an event helps us with prioritizing our staff based on their response. Approving staff on the Time and Attendance page is very easy and the screen is clear to see their times worked. Scheduling staff for the different departments works well .

Cons

Sometimes if the address of the location is not an exact address then the embedded gps map may send the staff to an incorrect location. The app works poorly on some older model cell phones. I haven't found a way to note when staff is on vacation to block those days so they are not accidentally added to the schedule.

Shelby H.

Nowsta Review

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

Pros

It’s super easy to use and there are (so far) no glitches. The last thing you want is a program messing up mid scheduling. I love being able to rate employees and it’s super easy for my staff to see all the details of the shifts they’re working. It also reminds them to show up 2 hours prior!

Cons

Nothing so far. Obviously it’s constantly updating which can be a pain but it’s worth it to have a nice easy to use software

Lisa D.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Nowsta is the best part of my job!

Reviewed on 27/07/2019

When I took this job, I was using both the competitor (rhymes with LaughFate) and Nowsta, and I fought to go with Nowsta because it was so much faster and more user-friendly. Nowsta works right out of the box, it does everything I need and more, they keep introducing useful new features and functionality. When my predecessor looked over my shoulder at the Event view, she was openly envious of how much easier the job is now. Dealing with 120+ on-call staff is never going to be easy, per se, but Nowsta makes offering them work and keeping track of hours, details, call-outs, etc. much easier.

Pros

It's easy (dare I say fun?) to use right away, it's robust, and the support team is friendly and RESPONSIVE. I suggested a feature that would make things easier and it was implemented within a day of my message.

Cons

Using it on mobile as an admin is still a little awkward, and I would like to be able to drag and drop employees in the Event view as well as the Multi-Event view. It would also be helpful if employees had the ability to opt-in to having their contact info shared for carpooling, etc.--right now, it's either all or none.

Emily B.

Makes scheduling a breeze

Reviewed on 04/06/2021

Nowsta is by far the most efficient and user friendly scheduling and time clock software that I have ever used! The customer support staff are awesome and respond very quickly when needed. Thank you!!

Pros

My favorite feature of Nowsta is the ability to publish available shifts to prequalified employees. I save so much time and send far less emails and text messages!

Cons

Some improvements could be made on the weekly view section. It is sometimes challenging to read the overall schedule for all departments, and there is not a way to easily print the schedule. Also, copying shifts should be faster. Maybe like a copy & paste function.

Response from Nowsta

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We're so glad you are loving Nowsta!

Harley Y.

The Answer To Any Hospitality Agency

Reviewed on 09/09/2019

Pros

I was one of the first users to Beta test this product and helped with the integration of the product. The Nowsta team always listens to my feedback and tweaked a lot of the elements to fit my particular needs. It's like having my own team of engineers to customize the product for my individual needs.

Cons

There were growing pains at the beginning, but within the past year it's been smooth sailing.

Martin L.

Great Software

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

In a nutshell prior to using the software on average we would get 6 people calling in sick for their shifts every week which in a company our size equates to about 12%. We asked that everyone communicate the shifts that they are scheduled for and we would be lucky if 15-20% would communicate within 72 hours. Now our call in percentage is less than 1% and we are averaging over 95% communication within 12 hours. Staffing for the week can now be done in 1 day and very seldom do we have to revisit it throughout the week where before it was a daily challenge.

Pros

The best part of the software is it puts the responsibility of the schedule into the hands of the staff that uses it and you can clearly see the people that want to work and are invested in your company and those that are not.

Cons

There are some features that do not feel streamlined to how I would utilize them. I cannot however justify lowering my rating based on these factors because I may not be using them the way they were designed.

Steve S.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Five stars-saves us so much time!

Reviewed on 21/07/2021

This software is amazing! It has been a game changer for us. Love having scheduling, time and attendance all in one platform. We have saved saved so much time since we started using Nowsta. I can’t say enough about the team at Nowsta - they go above and beyond!
Highly recommended!!

Pros

The entire Nowsta team. They are so helpful.

Cons

Can’t say anything bad about Nowsta. We are very happy.

Chad V.

Butlers Pantry

Reviewed on 21/07/2021

The BEST. Signing on with Nowsta has been the best decision - has increased our efficiency and improved staffing communication.

Pros

Ease of scheduling. Very organized. User friendly. Great customer service. Efficient

Cons

None. It’s a great application - and the team is always collaborating with us on new features

Colleen V.

Nowsta is a breeze!

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

Great! Customer service is quick and very helpful!

Pros

Easy to use once you get the hang of it! Allows you to customize to your own needs! Payroll integration and overtime calculations are a definite plus!

Cons

I can’t click an event in time and attendance and be taken to the event.....

Jenna D.

Helps our whole team

Reviewed on 22/02/2021

Pros

- all of the team members can be passed the information that they need
- we can share information like schedules and details about jobs very easily
- relatively easy to use
- all of the information that we need to share throughout every facet of the company can be in one place

Cons

- the app can be sluggish
- you need either WIFI connection or available data to connect to the app

Jana R.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Saves a lot of time!

Reviewed on 08/04/2021

Overall I like it it’s better than emails and more time saving

Pros

I love how much time it saves me and it is pretty easy to navigate

Cons

I wish I had more hands on training and snot know how to use many of the features. I also wish I could upload more docs instead of use a link

Jessica A.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Help Desk Team is Awesome!

Reviewed on 05/05/2021

Really positive experience with Nowsta so far! I'm new to the software but it's easy to use and helps keep track of staffing in a clear visual way.

Pros

It's easy to view in calendar mode and helps to see what shifts are still 'open.' Easy to connect Caterease software to Nowsta so downloading shifts was pretty quick.

Cons

As a new person to this software, it was fairly easy to navigate in a basic sense. For the some questions, the online help pull-down information is ok. However, if a person types in 'delete a shift' there isn't a quick step 1 thru 5 guide, you have to sort thru different help options. BUT, contacting the help desk team for a 'chat' was super easy and they understood what I was trying to do and gave quick guidance that was awesome!

Taylor N.

Event Bartending

Reviewed on 19/07/2021

Overall Nowsta makes our business possible with easy and take a huge burden off the challenge of staffing and schedule management.

Pros

We can schedule employees for the various location, time, and events with ease. The employees can easily check their schedules and see up coming shifts.

Cons

We might not know this feature well enought, but we haven't been able to have our team be able to pick up shifts from "published" events.

Nicole D.

Amazing!

Reviewed on 12/08/2019

Easy to learn and use. love how much time it saves!

Pros

Ease of use for me AND for my employees. User friendly and time/attendance tracking is the best!

Cons

Not being able to add shifts to iCal immediately through ap.

Deputy

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

functionality linked to TPP
Alysha T.

Seamless Experience

Reviewed on 11/03/2020

Pros

Scheduling, time and attendance, and payroll integration makes staffing so much less time consuming

Cons

Slow loading sometimes when selecting/publishing events

Vanessa G.

Time saver

Reviewed on 16/09/2019

The time it saves is amazing. Have already recommended this program, and will again I'm sure.

Pros

Our staff loves the app, they can easily accept and view shifts.

Our payroll time has been cut in half (if not more)

Having time and attendance in the same program as our scheduling software has been a game-changer. Eliminated so many steps.

We love it, and are excited for more updates.

Cons

It would be awesome if there was more ability to choose the types of notifications we can send to our staff.

Also, would be awesome if there was a log of all previous communicationa sent to them.

Katiria N.

Fast and Friendly Customer Service

Reviewed on 27/06/2018

Pros

It's extremely useful for getting a clear picture of where you stand by date and event in regards to staffing. It is intuitive and easy to use. When I mess something up, one of the three gentlemen are always there to help! Quick and friendly!

Cons

Still has a couple of things that need to make it easier to use. Call off button, and a repeat unavailability button. (I was told the request was put in, so now we wait) These are essential for those of us juggling hundreds of availability schedules. However, they are very quick to either help you figure out the best work around for the time being!

Nicole B.

Love Nowsta

Reviewed on 19/05/2020

Pros

Updates and notifications make it easy to get info faster.

Cons

Not being able to choose a group of dates with availability. Instead, having to go each day and choose availability.

Danielle D.

GAME CHANGER

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

The tech staff is helpful! If the program doesn't do it they are willing to look into how they can make it work for even more ease for the customer! LOVE LOVE LOVE Nowsta!

Pros

We love Nowsta! It has improved our staffing. We used to only be one week ahead of staffing, I am now able to staff with ease and go as far as 3 weeks out. Which helps our employees!

Cons

I cannot say anything negative about this program!

Lisa M.

Game Changer!

Reviewed on 02/12/2020

Pros

Integration with catering software & ease of use

Cons

Not much, really, but if I had to pick something ... no two way communication - staff can't reply to announcements.

Christopher R.

We like NOWSTA

Reviewed on 13/11/2020

For the most part...it has been very good.

Pros

Ease of scheduling. Response time from my employees.

Cons

Does not cross integrate with TPP. I thought it did...but it does not seem to do this. MAybe I am doing it wrong. Secondly, the cost of the employee per month adds up quickly.

Cristina M.
  • Industry: Events Services

Nowsta streamlined our event staffing

Reviewed on 26/05/2020

Nowsta has truly streamlined staffing our events. It's cut back on hours we spent on the front end and really helped our staff easily accept or decline shifts in an app. It was also a huge help to pay staff immediately versus waiting for our 2 week pay system via check. Staff seem to really love this option even with the fee.

Pros

Nowsta streamlined our event staffing through the app and the way we communicate with our crew. It's been a game changer for us.

Cons

We have been using Nowsta since it launched. The tech support has been wonderful at reviewing our feedback and making changes that really helped the app and our team use it. The software has had issues from time to time but it's always been resolved. The only downside on our end was setting up a direct bank debit weekly versus our original bi-weekly pay system.

Katie M.
  • Industry: Events Services

Nowsta allows for flexibility, easily accessible information, and great interfacing in my job

Reviewed on 01/11/2020

Pros

As an events services worker, It’s incredibly important to me that I can clock in from anywhere, see who I’m working with on a given day (and get their contact info in case I need to call them with an emergency issue), and see all the basic information about my event in one place on my phone. Nowsta allows me to do all of this and more, quickly and easily. That’s what I enjoy most.

Cons

The only issues I‘ve had to date with Nowsta occurred after the overhaul last year when Nowsta Timeclock was also introduced. Since then, I find that the Nowsta app can be slow and laggy at times (especially when accepting or declining shift invites). Additionally, once clocked out for the day, if you don’t log out of Timeclock (instead of just swiping out of the app for the night) when you go in the next day your current shift to clock in to wont show up. Before Timeclock, I remember the clock in page refreshing for the day no matter if you had logged out and in. This is a bit of a hassle but doesn’t greatly deter from the ease and functionally of the rest of the app.

Brian H.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Great product makes my life easier

Reviewed on 08/08/2019

Doing payroll used to take me anywhere from 1-6 hours depending on how busy we were and how many people were working. After we switched to Nowsta, I usually have payroll done in 30 minutes. We do schedules on a weekly basis and I used to have to do the schedule in Excel, then change it to a PDF and then email it to all the staff along with where they were meeting for events. It took me forever to do. With Nowsta, everything is right in the app and it cuts the time in half. Also, with people being able to punch in from their phones, there is no longer paper needed. All of the staff is very helpful and quick to get back to you if you reach out to them.

Pros

Nowsta cuts my scheduling time at least in half. It also takes me a quarter of the time to do payroll. Easier for employees to punch in and out.

Cons

Some issues with the app freezing. People with android have had issues using the app. There is no way for staff members to put in extended periods of time off in the app (vacatin or PTO or what not)

Evan W.

The Apple of Scheduling Platforms

Reviewed on 11/03/2020

Wonderful team of staff - they always want to know feedback and will call action to issues swiftly. Nowsta is always updating with new features. I have used several staffing platforms over the years and Nowsta is by far my favorite.

Pros

Very fluid platform. Easily integrates with our other necessary systems that make staffing, scheduling, and back end work very seamless.

Cons

Loading time takes a bit sometimes. Nothing else.