My Music Staff

Write a Review!
Cloud-based music school management software

4.8/5
4.6/5
4.6/5
4.8/5

Kandice
Kandice

My Music Staff - I couldn't have done it without you!

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

My Music Staff has changed my home studio into a professional, online, organised, updated Music Academy! Not only has it totally managed my scheduling and scheduling for my teachers but it tracks expenses and income for tax purposes with official Tax Credit receipts that I can send from my phone! It made tax time a breeze!
This software let's me seamlessly invoice books and lessons, while keeping track of missed payments with auto-invoicing and also generating professional receipts with a thank you.
Parents and older students are able to cancel and reschedule lessons at their leisure (according to my policies) and re-book a time that is more convenient for them - resulting in almost no empty spots and more money in my pocket! They can also see their lesson notes and record their practice time to hold them accountable and for me to be able to peak at as well! This has resulted in more practice = better results= happier students = happier parents = referrals = home studio to Music Academy = (more $ !!!)
One of my favourite features of My Music Staff is being able to upload recordings of my students for the parents and families to enjoy. No more time consuming CD's that no one can play anymore anyway. Now, they just download and have it right on their phone or PC (see "happier students = happier parents...etc.)
Thank you My Music Staff for helping me to grow my business by being so organised and so very, very productive in the background! I couldn't have done it without you!

Pros

How can I possibly choose just one thing? Before My Music Staff, keeping track of missed lessons was next to impossible. I had separate notebooks and online files and word docs for attendance, lesson notes, expenses, payments for books and payments for lessons - now it's all together - neat and tidy, organised and at my fingertips (and my teachers') at the studio, at home and on the go! And that's just the beginning...

Cons

I do wish My Music Staff was setup to take Electronic Funds Transfers in Canada - as that is a new form of payment I am implementing in my school. I also would like to be able to add my business logo as a header for emails with an automatic signature. I realise I can use placeholders to do this job but it is a little laborious when you're in a rush.

Adam
  • Industry: Music

Ideally for anyone managing a small music school

Reviewed on 27/08/2022

Really positive. Support staff are great and there is plenty of resources to problem solve any booking requirements. It’s nice to see that the software is still being updated and invested in which makes me hopefully for the tools it will provide in the near future.

Pros

It has features that I didn’t realise I would need. It’s the best blends of resources for music teachers and management software.

Cons

The experience on phones feels clunky and difficult to navigate. All my staff use it on their phones and would prefer an app that is more condensed for just their day of teaching.

Timely , Trello and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing My Music Staff

Time and efficiency. I was also looking for something that would benefit my teachers.

Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to My Music Staff

Music teachers resources
Laurice

Reviewed on 23/02/2021

Overall it has been good. Customer Service is quite quick once you get matched with a member. The Support centre and Pinterest links and How-To's are done very well. Not the mention the lovely additional bits like Social Media Calendar and worksheets for the kids is so lovely! And helpful!
I really like using it every day personally and so do my Staff. But my students, not so much. It's only easy to use when you are using it for a couple hours a day like me, otherwise its a total mind field

Pros

I like the amount of customisation. The calendar Sync. The website functionality and the Families & Invoicing section.

Cons

It is not user friendly for the public. It is far too complicated for my business. For example if someone wants to sign up for a course they have to go through Student Portals. Log In. Emails. Setting it up. Saving it to the Homepage. Then they cant pay immediately they have to wait for an invoice and then log in again and finally enter their bank details. I am im discussions of discontinuing with this software. While it has great benefits for Admin it really is too complicated for the public and inviting new customers in. Therefore it is not for us in the long term.

Larisse
  • Industry: Music

Does everything you need for a great price

Reviewed on 17/02/2022

I've found that the software fits my needs. I have looked around extensively to see if there is anything out there better and currently there isn't. There are similar platforms but they are more expensive. I also like how it specifically caters to music teachers rather than a generic software for all industries.

Pros

It does everything I need it to do in terms of scheduling, billing and expenses and has other features that I use sometimes such as lesson notes, file sharing, newsletters and lending library. It also has a website included, blog and online signup.

Cons

It would be good if students were able to edit/comment on their lesson notes. Also if there could be a blog or newsletter that is not public but only accessible by your clients with the ability for them to comment.

Stacy
  • Industry: Music

Best Studio Management Anywhere!

Reviewed on 15/09/2023

Absolutely the BEST!

Absolutely the BEST!

Pros

Manages all aspects of my music school including scheduling and invoicing! I couldn’t carry 50+ students without My Music Staff!

Cons

Some things are tricky to find or figure out. But the customer service is so good, it doesn’t take long before my problem is solved!

Eva
  • Industry: Music

Great system for multi-studio owners

Reviewed on 22/09/2023

I have a really good experience. Great customer support.

I have a really good experience. Great customer support.

Pros

Easy and intuitive inner face. Very easy to train schools' managers and staff. Teachers love My Music Staff. Especially transparency of payroll.

Cons

Student setup has too many steps and too much going back and forth between steps.

Caitlin

The Best Software on the Market

Reviewed on 25/03/2021

Excellent. I recommend them to all my friends who are also music teachers.

Excellent. I recommend them to all my friends who are also music teachers.

Pros

Honestly, there are too many to list. Here are a few: the automation features in invoicing and scheduling save me hours of work, I love that I can have multiple teachers on a single account, I love the student portal and practice log feature.

Cons

Any time I’ve felt that something could be improved upon I’ve written to the company and they’ve been very helpful every time.

A Must-Have

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

Overall, MMS has made organization, scheduling, and communication with studio families easier!

Pros

This is an all-in-one platform for running your music studio! Before finding My Music Staff, I was using 3 different spreadsheets, 2 paper notebooks, a phone to-do list, and a paper planner to run my business. MMS consolidated this down to one affordable program that is customized to the needs of a music teacher. I love it!

Cons

I do occasionally encounter technological issues, or notice that there is a task I would like to achieve that I do not know how to accomplish. When this happens, the answer is not always intuitive. (For perspective, I am of the millennial generation, and consider myself technologically savvy enough to independently learn most computer programs oriented for the workplace).

Benjamin
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Perfect

Reviewed on 27/04/2021

It helps me organize and keep track of all our data, works in real time, I'm often updating schedules and payments, and the program responds well.

Pros

This software predicts what I might need and I'm able to utilize more functions compared to previous programs our company has subscribed to.

Cons

I don't have any problems.. maybe not charging to add more teachers.. I am constantly trying to find staff and people come and go

Chrissy
Chrissy

MMS is my Business Assistant

Reviewed on 22/09/2023

Pros

Scheduling with family portal; auto-invoicing and autopay; automated reminders; options for to host with MMS or embed MMS features on your website.

Cons

I’ve grown with MMS // I started using it almost right from their beginning. I was looking for something to help manage my growing student list and have stuck with them through some growing pains as they’ve vastly updated over the last 2yr (was on the beta testing team!).

Robyn
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Love it!

Reviewed on 12/09/2018

Love it, for the most part. Staff has always been very responsive with questions and issues.

Pros

For years I kept track of scheduling on one sheet of paper from a weekly calender that I photo-copied and kept in a binder. Used a pencil so I could easily make changes. Attendance and income/expenses separate book. While it does take a little time to enter things manually, everything is streamlined and simpler than other software I have tried. I have looked at a few systems for teachers and this beats them all. I love that I can also send out group emails and save the templates for future use. Expenses and income can be set to repeat and this makes tax time a whole lot easier. Also keeps track of mileage if you travel to student homes—-I also set that to repeat back when I was a traveling teacher. One year I was audited and the auditor was very impressed with the way I kept track of miles and everything else with this software. I gave her printed reports (with receipts). Once she saw I had a good tracking system and accounting software, she glanced at it and sent me on my way with a pat on the back for good record-keeping. That, alone, makes this software worth every penny. I also make use of the free webpage and the “New Student Request” button. I set up a separate email account just for MMS so I know when I see an email it is either a new student request OR from an existing student. I am a solo teacher and don’t use all the features—just what I need. You can set this up to use as much or as little as you want.

Cons

Webpage templates are pretty limited. More options would be fabulous! Text operations seem to be somewhat limited and quirky within the software on my iPad Pro. I rarely use a computer these days so a little more functionality there would be terrific. Line spacing and text options seem to be very limited within the templates and I have been very frustrated with the limitations. I make it work, but more in this area would be better.

Julia

A great All-In-One Business Manager and Scheduler

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

The scheduling alone and automated charges and billing are amazing - so much easier to keep track of everything. I'm also loving the additional features and ease of communication to students and parents from one place.
The improvements they've made over the past 2 years (most especially becoming more friendly to syncing to Google Calendar) have been unobtrusive and are generally making the software easier to use - and all at a reasonable cost!

Pros

First of all, the price is fantastic for a small business - you pay per teacher you're managing and the base subscription price is outstanding! Any equivalent scheduling software charges as though you are a large company and was many times the price for just me and my partner!

The scheduling interface is easy and pretty intuitive, and I love that I can opt to allow people to change their own times (but only to a time that I've already set aside for teaching). I continue to have control over the times and days that I teach, and I have to deal with fewer make up lesson headaches!

I've only started using some of the other functions this school year (file sharing, practice tracking, sending notes to parents/students, etc) so only a few months, but so far it's working really well and I love being able to contact the parents with concerns or suggestions when the child is not present.

Cons

1. Most of my students pay on an automated monthly tuition model, and I would love to be able to set the month beginning/end dates for something other than the 1st. (mid month starts, 2nd pay period, etc)
2. While it is great to be able to message parents with notes, notifications of uploads, etc, it would be great if there were a way to group all those messages together instead of spamming them the day after the lesson.
3. Sometimes changes I make from my mobile device don't save properly (attendance is bad for this)

Jill

My Music Staff Falling Behind

Reviewed on 24/01/2023

We've been using MMS for over 4 years now. When we first found this program it was the all-in-one solution we were looking for but unfortunately, as the years have progressed, the site has gotten much slower to work with, updates made are off-point and not helpful and the program is falling behind in offering features that are standard with others. Most noticeable is the lack of an activity feed or notification system. While other customer management and team work platforms have made this piece a base offering, My Music Staff has no way to indicate who is making changes in the database, when changes are made or a way to be notified. They occasionally roll out new features which are of little use. The Beta Attendance update, still in Beta after more than a year has more steps than the original method and makes the routine more cumbersome instead of streamlining. Despite being around since 2013, My Music Staff is still lacking an application made specifically for your phone further hindering their usability. While we'd really like to continue using this program, the lack of investment to keep up with development and customer needs puts it on the verge of being outdated.

Pros

Ease of set it and forget it weekly lesson management and invoicing for clients.Calendar is user friendly

Cons

Not responsive to feedback, input. No feed or alert for user changes in any way makes it extremely difficult to track if a teacher makes a change or someone has changed something that will impact your client's billing.The adjustments they do make seem to glitch the system at times.

Response from Port 443

Hi Jill, we're sorry to hear you're feeling that way but appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback to help us improve! Over the past few years we've actually been rebuilding the entire platform on upgraded technology to address concerns like loading speed and modernize the layout. It's still being rolled out to our existing members, but if you don't see the banner on your homepage to upgrade just yet, we'd be happy to enable it for you so you can give it a try! If so, please send an email to [email protected] :)

This major upgrade gives us a better foundation to add new features (like the recently added lesson note templates and auto-save lesson notes) and be able to adapt it into a downloadable mobile app. In the meantime, we did specifically focus on the mobile experience as part of the redesign so using the new version on mobile should already feel more like an app.

Hope
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Hope Bleakman Review- Can’t live without My Music Staff!

Reviewed on 22/09/2023

Again, the website feature has helped me secure a lot of free trials after I created a book your free trial page. Seems small but families have responded really well to it and with a little playing around it was really easy to make and turn the ‘contact us’ page into a book a free trial!

Pros

It’s though to pin point, but I think my favourite is the website feature, I absolutely love I have this under one roof and how I get a notification new families have signed up and they’re already in the system. Once you get to learn the website feature you really can make it your own, im actually proud of the website I’ve been able to build through My Music Staff!

Cons

It would be great if when parents are signing up their child that they have the option to select what classes they’re enrolling in and the system automatically puts them into those correct classes on the calendar. - Another great featre is if there were more ways to pay online other than PayPal, if parents could click pay now and enter their card details and funds get deposited into the business account that would be a life changer- or if somehow my music staff was partnered with after pay for families to pay their invoices in instalments… I know a few families would opt for that option!- ultimately helping small business get paid on time and not having to chase invoices! I’m in Sydney Australia and I know my families wouldn’t opt for PayPal unfortunately. Also an app would be perfect!

Kristin

2 months in- loving it!

Reviewed on 22/04/2020

The customer service is exceptional. It's really like having a 'staff.' Responses are prompt and answer the question asked, usually along with additional suggestions. The staff checks in about once a month to see if you need help with anything. They are great at anticipating what you might need. For example, during the Corona shutdown they were quick to get online teaching platforms integrated with their scheduling program. They went above and beyond by offering tutorials about getting started teaching online for those of us who had never done it before.

Pros

I have been using My Music Staff for a couple of months now. My favorite feature is the auto billing from the calendar. Students can change times or cancel lessons themselves which eliminates a lot of the administrative work. I love that I can email students or parents or both seamlessly. I use the online resources feature to upload audio or video customized for each student. It's easy to email notes to parents or students and also maintain private notes for myself. I also like that there is an easy check box for when students pay at the lesson. Just check the box, no need to enter a payment. I like the setting that a cancelled lesson automatically creates an open 'makeup' spot in my schedule that ask students can see and claim.

Cons

I offer tiered pricing for families. So the first student in a family is full priced, the 2nd is discounted, and the 3rd is more discounted than the 2nd. There isn't a good way to do that on this site. I can assign different prices per student, but if the 'first' child in the family cancels, but child 2 and 3 still do lessons, I have to manually adjust the price. I also don't like that the invoicing shows a balance owed all month long, although it does adjust as needed. For example, my students pay at the end of the month. But on the first of the month, it shows that they owe for the full month. They won't get an invoice until the end of the month, But if they (or I) check their account before then, I would prefer to see a current balance for lessons taken, not lessons taken and scheduled.

Cally
  • Industry: Music

You Need This in Your Life!

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

Customer support is very helpful!

Customer support is very helpful!

Pros

I don't generate invoices until I have my schedule set. Once I have my schedule for the month/semester/etc figured out, I create invoices and send them to parents. I love that this program makes it easy to create and send invoices based on the schedule. What used to take me HOURS now takes minutes. I also like how it tracks payments, adjustments, etc in the program so that even parents can see. No more angry parents claiming they paid when they simply forgot; they can see everything. My studio size doubled because I am so much more organized with everything. I also love that students can see notes that I've taken, assignments, download music, etc. I also send out mass messages for my upcoming concerts which is posted on the group studio page. ALSO I love that it automatically sends reminder texts and emails. I rarely have students forget to come to their lessons anymore (and when they do, I just remind them of my cancellation policy, so I never lose any dollars). I love this program. Just amazing. I will never use anything else.

Cons

I wish there was an phone app that would allow me to work offline. I frequently work in practice rooms that block out cell phone signal, so I can't load students' notes when I teach. Also, It took forever to figure out how to navigate through the site at first. Lastly, I wish I could figure out how to automatically send my students their lesson schedule for the month (not essential since it is listed in the invoice, but I would like to have the kids get a list of lesson times in the email).

Cody
Cody
  • Industry: Music

If You Have a Music Studio, You Need This!

Reviewed on 14/11/2018

If you run a music studio of any type, you need this software. There are far too many details with scheduling and book keeping for you to do it by yourself. This software has helped me keep track of any and all students at any one time. It has helped me automate many lessons and recital schedules among other things. It helps all teachers at our studio keep attendance records up to date for all students. This is just a bit about what you can do with My Music Staff.

Pros

I love the fact that my studio found this software. I have been given the responsibility of being the studio manager for a piano studio in California. I love the calendar feature where you can filter different teachers, studios or student lists. My organization runs three studios, one in California and two on the East coast. I love the ability of emailing straight from the application. It allows me to keep in touch with all students, parents and teachers at any time.

Cons

Sometimes, the technology does get hard sometimes and the scheduling portion can have glitches and put scheduling in the wrong place. Sometimes I have trouble organizing with the app. There are issues with scheduling conflicts at the studio when the times don’t overlap. That could stand to have some updating.

Response from Port 443

Hey Cody! Thanks for the great feedback :)

It looks like your studio has conflict detection disabled. To enable this feature:

1. Click "Settings" in the top right-hand corner and select "Studio Settings".
2. From the "Options" tab, click "Check for scheduling conflicts when adding/editing calendar events".
3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Save Options".

If you need a hand, we're here to help! Our team can be reached at [email protected] or by phone at 1-888-732-6134.

Jack
  • Industry: Music

MMS is a solid product which covers most of the bases

Reviewed on 12/09/2018

MMS has made scheduling quite efficient. It is fairly easy to navigate once you get used to it. We have been using it for a long time and I know there are features I haven't even gotten to yet. I don't think we've worked with the support team much as we've been able to figure things out. I would be very interested in taking a live class if it were offered just to appreciate the full potential of the software.

Pros

I especially like the attendance notes. It informs our students (parents) what is to be expected at the next lesson. This is especially good for parents who are not particularly musical, to remind the child specifics of the practice material.

I also like the auto reminder sent for next day classes. This gives the student an opportunity to cancel class in time to qualify for a make up class. And, if a class had been verbally cancelled, but the teacher did not log it as such, (s)he is reminded that the class has been cancelled.

Cons

I wish there was an entry to list the specific instrument being taught at each class. We can list the instrument in the student information section, but it'd be more convenient if it were right there on the calendar. Many instructors teach multiple disciplines and knowing which is being taught at a given class would make it easier for us to book the right room and/or the right substitute.

Response from Port 443

Hey Jack! You can actually create custom event categories. This would be a great way to detail what instrument is being taught.

We'd be happy to walk you through the steps. Send an email to [email protected] or click "Help" in the top right-hand corner of your account and do a quick search for "custom event".

Paul
Paul

Very good software for music school management

Reviewed on 03/08/2023

It is the best out there unless who want to pay tens of thousands for personalised Salesforce set up.

Pros

There are some very great features in My Music Staff such as the ease of payment from the client. I also like the calendar layout and functionality.

Cons

Having to jump from one category to the other and back can take along time over the web. It would be easier if all of a clients information including payments, bookings, contact history, etc where all available on one screen. Also, monitoring non-payers can be a bit of a headache and be time consuming.

Aurora

Best User Experience and Interface of All Lesson Management Systems We've Tried

Reviewed on 23/09/2023

Overall, the price and functionality are right with MMS. I'm happy with my choice and out of all of the software as a services I use in my business, this is the one I'm least likely to switch out of.

Pros

Integrating MMS was incredibly easy. There are a few small features they could add to make it even easier but overall it went quickly enough. I love the transparent (and inexpensive) per teacher pricing. Uptime is fantastic; I don't think I've ever experienced the site being down.

Cons

MMS is great but not quite mature. I appreciate the really solid uptime but the site can be very slow. As an administrator, I am used to the system and I can generally make it do what I want. My teachers sometimes complain about it (navigating to the contact information for the parents of a child student can be a pain, and has to be explained to them because it's not obvious) but overall they enjoy having student and schedule info at their fingertips. None of them make use of the notes, repertoire, library, etc. so these features don't do much for us though they seem like solid features

Maureen

Saved My Studio

Reviewed on 18/09/2018

My business runs very smoothly and professionally with the use of My Music Staff, I have the control that I need of the studio while giving my instructors the freedom to teach the way they find most effective with the students. Parents enjoy the reminders, automatic invoicing and electronic payment options. My website drives in lots of business and it is created using the templates on My Music Staff. Without this program my studio would never have grown to this point nor would it continue to grow as it is today. I will always recommend and share my love of this program.

Pros

As I began taking on more students a couple of years ago and I started to struggle with scheduling and and billing, we started looking around and found My Music Staff, it saved my studio. We are now at 32 students and we have 3 instructors, without the ease of My Music Staff I would never be able to schedule and bill families appropriately or keep track of payroll. I love the ease of looking up addresses, families inputting their own information and being able to keep track of assignments within the program. The reminder emails and texts are awesome for busy families and the automatic billing feature is amazing so that I don't have to calculate and send out invoices to families.

Cons

Nothing really, some of the setting are buried a little bit, but everything is very logical.

Easy, Intuitive App for Private Music Teachers

Reviewed on 12/09/2018

My Music Staff is dependable, responsive and fair.

My Music Staff is dependable, responsive and fair.

Pros

This app is very easy to use. You can sign up and then begin setting your studio up immediately. I teach out of my home and typically have 25-35 students each year. I was able to add all of my student and family accounts and set-up my schedule very quickly. The best thing about this package is what it has done for my invoicing process. It has cut down 75% of my work time for processing invoicing, payments, communication to families and reporting. As an added bonus, it has built in functionality for tracking practice time, gives a place to record studio news, lets you build and host a website, and stores online documents for use and retrieval by students. My studio families love having access through the portal so that they can always see their balance, make payments, and read notes about their student's progress. My older students use the student portal too.

Cons

One of my studio parents also does administrative work for me. She has two separate accounts, her admin account to do business and her personal account for her children's lessons. It would be nice if there was a way to compact that into one account for her.

Timothy

Easy to Use Scheduling and Billing Program

Reviewed on 05/02/2024

No complaints. I can't imagine using anything else.

No complaints. I can't imagine using anything else.

Pros

Auto invoicing saves me an incalculable amount of time. The schedule layout is intuitive. Pricing is an upfront $10 per month plus $5 per staff member with zero hidden fees or costs.

Cons

I've had some very minor quality of life complaints that the support team has added to their list. I'd really like to be able to accept Venmo, which they say is on the horizon. No complaints that would actually make me stop using the program.

Piano Teacher

Reviewed on 14/12/2019

I love using My Music Staff for my music education company. I cannot imagine being successful at my job without it.

Pros

As a piano teacher, My Music Staff saves me countless hours. I used to try to stay organized by myself! I didn't send reminders for weekly appointments and as a result, I often had no-shows. I also didn't have a great system of tracking payments. Now, My Music Staff keeps track of my calendar, clients and their information, invoices, payments, late fees, and annual tax information. At the end of the year, I can simply click a button and see how much money I have earned. It also tells me how much money I have spent on piano books and fees. It sends reminders through email, text or both to my clients. I can also keep a running database for all of my students and have a list of former students. It is essential for any kind of music teacher!

Cons

I don't love paying $12.95 per month for this software. It is worth it so I have been a customer for years. At first, it was difficult to set up the automatic invoices and autopay for interested clients. I did need to contact their customer service and they were extremely helpful.

Rebecca
  • Industry: Music

highly recommended for anyone running a music studio

Reviewed on 02/03/2019

My Music Staff has saved me countless hours in invoicing and scheduling. Tracking items such as make up credits, missed lessons, payments, and the like are a snap. Parents have had positive feedback about utilizing the scheduling features, which saves me more time in not having to deal with lesson cancellations and reschedules. My Music Staff offers other robust features such as repertoire assignments, resource sharing, and mileage and expense tracking that I am just beginning to explore. My Music Staff is truly a great value and a huge asset to my business.

Pros

My Music Staff is intuitive and easy to use. I came over from a competitor's software, and the difference is night and day. I was constantly encountering glitches and needing support with the other product, but with My Music Staff I have needed support only one time in almost a year. Customer service was incredibly responsive, friendly, and resolved my issue right away. The interface and functionality are very smooth with My Music Staff. I highly recommend this software to anyone who teaches music, regardless of the size of your studio. My Music Staff will streamline your processes and make your life so much easier!

Cons

At first I was disappointed that they don't have a dedicated app. But the mobile optimized (responsive design) website works extremely well on my Android phone, and since I am already familiar with the website it is very easy to navigate and syncs seamlessly. So I really can't point to any cons; my experience has been entirely positive so far.