Sigma Computing

Collaborative business intelligence and data analytics tool

4.2 /5 (77 reviews) Write a Review!

Gary B.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Two month review

Reviewed on 15/09/2020

So far, I have loved it. For a month of experience, I feel very empowered to create the reports necessary to drive the business.

Pros

Love the simplicity of creating reoccurring reports and setting them up for automated delivery.

Cons

Some of the more complex formulas can be difficult to create, however the support has helped immensely. Only other con would be some of the output formats. one of the largest issues I still have is to output to a format that includes the entire list of (pick a column)

Kyle T.
  • Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Great product and better value

Reviewed on 15/09/2020

Pros

Compared to competitors I found Sigma to be much more straightforward with regard to database connections and dashboard building. No complex data warehousing layer, or reporting databases to instrument / sync, it simply reads from whatever db you assign and syncs in real time. While there is still a learning curve, the excel-like functions make it friendlier to business users who are not familiar with SQL to enable them to build custom reports rather than only viewing. While there isn't a "team" assigned to you for onboarding like other tools offer, I have found adhoc email and chat support to be good enough, and certainly worth the $ saved compared to other 'implementation costs' that often come with or are built in to the pricing of competitive products.

Cons

The team/user permissioning and management could be more straightforward.

Mia O.
  • Industry: Automotive

Turns non-technical business users into data power users

Reviewed on 26/06/2019

Stellar overall experience. The Sigma team makes a massive effort to truly understand and design around customer needs and use cases, as well as to provide hands-down the best customer support and training I have ever received from a B2B vendor, period.

Pros

The ability to connect to any data number of data sources across our enterprise data warehouse to extract useful insights for my team. Without a line of coding I can report, analyze, and visualize data from our CRM, IoT data streams, 3rd party APIs, and now .csv uploads. The full access is balanced by perfect row-level security controls so I can use the same system to power data dashboards and portals for internal teams as I do for external clients.

Cons

The upside of being able to access ALL data streams leads to a downside -- it can take a long time to process and load information. However I look forward to data materialization features in the works which will eliminate this problem.

Luke B.

Excel for your data warehouse

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

I help B2B SaaS startup founders and CMOs with their customer data platforms and reporting.

The ability to create additional columns on your data containing custom formulas and the ability to sort and filter on multiple columns is great.

One of my clients uses Sigma and I’ve been extremely impressed at how easy and quickly it is to build reports on multiple tables of data without writing any complex SQL. For example, sessionization of page view and event time series data is a complex SQL query which can be performed within a few minutes in Sigma without any knowledge of SQL. It’s a great tool for business users.

Pros

I’ m very impressed at Sigma’s ease of use for building reports from my clients data warehouse running on Snowflake. If you can use Excel, and understand the data in your database you can be up and running extremely quickly without having to write SQL queries or any code to describe your database.

Cons

As with any tool there is a learning curve to the interface, but since it’s similar to a spreadsheet, it’s quick to learn.

Theres no feature yet to save custom formulas to be used across worksheets so you’ll have to copy and paste them for now.

Alec P.

Sigma is a powerful tool

Reviewed on 01/06/2020

I have been able to expand my personal skillset with sigma and work towards better data insights.

Pros

Sigma offers a great way for me to explore tables in our database and visualize those insights. Building worksheets and converting those sheets into dashboards have been very valuable for me.

Cons

There is a learning curve here. It may take a while to get completely comfortable using the product. Once you do, the possibilities for data analytics expand.

Joanne P.

Up and Coming Software

Reviewed on 01/06/2020

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] have been great to work with and always ready to help us. Support is not an issue :-)

Pros

Integration with Snowflake, Ability to load data files, Ability to analyze large data sets, Excel like functions

Cons

Dashboards are a little quirky and limited on drill down capabilities; heat maps are missing; and other features expected in a BI tool; need more training options

Josy C.

Sigma from a user's perspective

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

It is good lightweight tools to understand data and stats about the data.

Pros

It is easy to set up reports, charts and graphs. I can drill down from graphs to worksheet easily and get detailed information

Cons

When we have more data (like one year's transaction), the queries take longer time; sometimes it times out.

Ashlie R.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

I appreciate the customization options.

Reviewed on 03/07/2019

My overall experience has been positive, there is definitely a learning cure for the non-analytical.

Pros

I appreciate being able to start with a report created by our analytics team and tweak it to suit my department's needs.

Cons

The filters can sometimes be confusing until you get the hang of how the software thinks.

Betsy W.

Great Potential

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

We're starting to think of problems we can solve, but having disorganization in your company's data doesn't make it easier.

Pros

The ease of combining data sets and manipulating data in a way that makes sense to me.

Cons

It's not super user-friendly. I don't have a ton of experience with SQL and I feel like I am limited.

Shae R.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Decent

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

Pros

For the tools that it provides, Sigma is very useful. Whether it is better than other options remains to be seen, but it is a decent choice for data collection and analysis.

Cons

It is not the most user-friendly and takes a fair amount of time to set up reports in exactly the way you need. It could be far more flexible.

Allen H.

Sigma review

Reviewed on 07/09/2019

Pros

Connection to Snowflake, good UI, can make adjustments / calculations to columns

Cons

Functionality is not as robust as I'd like (e.g. lacking some charting capaciblities)

Kevin F.

Good Product

Reviewed on 16/09/2020

Pros

It's really good for its spreadsheet like interface

Cons

Hard to replace data sources, no calculations on pivot tables

Shawn H.

Sigma shaved 5 hours off my monthly reporting

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

While Sigma could be great for a lot of use cases, there is one in particular that I use it for. Every month I have a summary report that I have to put together. I used to run multiple database queries, dump the data out into Excel, do some manual sorting and manipulation of the data, and then build out pivot tables so that I could see trends month over month. Sigma takes care of all of the data fetching, formatting, and styling for me (and lets me do it in a way that turns out better than I had in Excel).
Doing the reports this way, now saves me about 5 hours a month off of that monthly report that I was doing, which means that I have more time for data exploration, and spend less time with data garbage collection.

Pros

I love the ability to build out extra columns in my data visually, which lets me build pivot tables that I cannot even replicate in Excel.
Having built out tables once, I can reuse them again and again with fresh data without having to pull and manually re-translate everything like I used to do.
Having the ability to change the type of data in a column to a new structure saves me a lot of time.
Extracting JSON from my tables is a snap!

Cons

While the documentation is good, I wish there was a little better messaging around error handling. Sigma formatting is slightly different from the PostgreSQL that I am used to.
I wish that there was a little more visual punch to the charts I can make.

Jordan S.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

The BI tool of the future

Reviewed on 26/05/2020

Love it. We previously had Looker as our BI tool and this is a HUGE improvement over that tool. Ease of use, clarity of features, flexibility of the system are all significantly improved. Couldn't be happier with our switch, I know my whole team would say the same thing.

Pros

Ease of use, especially the ability to write custom SQL queries to build datasets and reports. The visualization builder is also very user friendly and has made throwing together dashboards for internal or external use significantly easier. Saves me and my colleagues a ton of time!

Cons

There have been some features identified by the team that we need for Enterprise-level software that were missing, many have been addressed though. A major bugbear of mine is that the filters don't seem to react to each other if there are multiple on a dashboard, they filter independently of other inputs.

Ivan S.
  • Industry: Media Production

Integration Pipeline

Reviewed on 26/05/2020

Best email marketing pipeline integration when it comes to metrics and conversion goals

Pros

It's very effective on the email marketing and CRM.

Cons

pricing can be lower but totally works.

Leon K.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

A useful tool for specific problems

Reviewed on 03/07/2019

Monthly compliance reporting handoff to non-technical individuals.

Pros

For someone who is not particularly tech savvy, Sigma is a great way to take SQL queries written by someone who is, and then be able to modify the data in real time using the sort of functionality we're all used to via Excel.

Sigma also is easy to export data from, and the scheduling functionality is quite useful for recurring reports.

Cons

Because Sigma has to re-pull data every time you open a sheet, it is incredibly slow. Certain reports can take multiple minutes to load, and once any filters are applies, it has to re-pull the report, causing those minutes to be lost again.

Because of this, it's often easier to just download all the data and then do the filtering/etc in excel/google sheets.

Kevin K.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great analytics product, easy to set up and use

Reviewed on 26/06/2019

Pros

Awesome team behind the product, always responsive and helpful. They've taught me a lot not only about their tool but also about data analytics.

Cons

Some UI elements could be improved, but once you know where to find certain things you'll pick it up.

Jose f. G.

Excellent alternative to pivot tables and spreadsheets

Reviewed on 20/05/2020

So far, we've managed to simplify our business metrics visualization and enabled querying that information to non-technical users which is a big win.

Pros

I like that it's easy to create customized views of Data without having to expose unnecesary information as noise. I love the simple UI to build new reports and the smart filters.

Cons

Getting the data into Sigma can be daunting at first, but it's worth it in the end. If you're struggling I recommend to keep trying.

Samuel H.

Sigma - Ease of use

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Sigma is a great way to share smaller sets of data. It allows me to prepare for my clients by pulling together reports quickly in an easy format.

Pros

The software is pretty easy and intuitive, except for the UI, at first. You don't really need much training on instruction, making it easy for you to play around with until you get the idea.

Cons

Sometimes when I have put things into the CSV filter they end up in the wrong place. Also the UI is kind of weird if you've never used it, but I was able to get used to it fairly quickly.

Wallace S.

Solid BI Tool to use for Enterprise Analytics

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

The customer support has been very nice and prompt. The product has even evolved with ideas that we have asked for. The overall product and development team is very receptive and responsive to customer needs.

Pros

The ease of hook up to my database. Ease of report building. Use of functions and how it can interpret dates.

Cons

Dashboard to dashboard they cannot communicate and dashboards have a little different functionality than worksheets. Sigma is still very young in age and I am sure things will change.

Kera L.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Customized Reporting

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

Allows independent reporting and analysis to meet recurring business needs.

Pros

Enjoy the ability to customize reports and drill down data to your specific needs. Can update and refresh data month after month without starting from scratch.

Cons

A little overwhelming for first time users and requires a lot of hands on practice to establish a comfort level. Download time increases as more data is being manipulated.

Ashley L.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Unintuitive

Reviewed on 28/09/2020

I can easily see high-level insights, like how many users of a certain type are utilizing our software, some usage trends, etc. However, when trying to do a deep dive to understand user health aspects over time, I don't have the skill or patience to create a report to track this type of usage in Sigma.

Pros

Some of the charts are nice for visuals and I can create high-level reports.

Cons

I dislike the process in trying to to create reports. I have some development experience and I much prefer running searches with SQL - I find it much more intuitive than Sigma's interface.
Due to this and my limited time, I haven't taken much time to learn Sigma and get comfortable with it, especially when I'm familiar with SQL.
It creates a bit of a bottleneck for our company in that our data analysts are the only ones who seem to really be able to create reports with Sigma. I want a tool where I can easily create a report as well.

John N.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Sigma

Reviewed on 01/06/2020

Still getting up to speed but generally happy and look forward to expand usage.

Pros

Pivot table capability with large data sets

Cons

getting up to speed on interface
talking some time getting used to

Emma M.

Good product

Reviewed on 10/07/2019

Pros

Ability to connect to multiply databases

Cons

Not enough flexibility to edit tables like excel

Joseph B.

Great model for rapidly evolving analytics

Reviewed on 24/09/2020

Sigma is the fastest and easiest BI tool to deploy. Iteration on the semantic layer is a cinch.

Sigma is a delight to work with as a vendor. Their support is superbly responsive (during business hours - they don't have global timezone coverage yet).

Sigma's pricing model is reasonable and very friendly to orgs where 80+% of the employees need live data access.

Pros

Sigma has the right model.

From the user perspective, the columnar formula editing feels familiar enough, and the learning curve is friendly to anyone with spreadsheet experience.

From an architect perspective, the semantic layer is lightweight and easy to adapt to ever-changing schemas. The UI covers most of the functionality you'll want, and for everything else you can fall back on writing your own code, like cron strings or SQL queries. I let Sigma do probably 95% of my querying, leaving the gnarliest 5% for me to write in their SQL runner.

I do a significant amount of lightweight ELT work in Sigma as well. I like being able to write massive views that I know I'm going to have to update often, and just like Snowflake / Sigma materialize them for me. When I use Sigma to query S3 directly in the SQL runner - usually to POC some new data that hasn't made its way out to the business teams yet - this functionality is really convenient because those queries are not efficient. I just need to get new data in front of the business as quickly as possible.

Cons

Visual discovery is lacking when compared to mature tools like Tableau. Sigma needs to continue chipping away at the Tableau features around dashboarding and charting.