MediaShout

Church presentation & worship management software

4.2/5
4.2/5
4.0/5
4.4/5

299 Software options

Bonnie N.

Media Shout 7

Reviewed on 25/10/2021

I am stuck with it because that is what the previous music minister insisted on. I would much prefer Proclaim, but it is too late to switch now. The church is too much invested in Media Shout.

Pros

It works most of the time. It integrates with my CCLI Song Select account. It is commonly used by many churches in our area.

Cons

It will suddenly stop working and I won't know why or what to do about it on a Sunday morning. It is not cloud based, so I cannot build the slides at my house on my computer and then use them on the church's computer on Sunday, like Proclaim does.

Faithlife Proclaim

Reasons for Switching to MediaShout

The previous music minister and his wife who ran the sound booth had never worked with Proclaim, so they pushed for Media Shout. Then they left 2 years later, and I got stuck with Media Shout and the music ministry got dumped in my lap. I have been stuck with it ever since. I did not choose it.
Michael S.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Good product, could still use some work

Reviewed on 06/11/2018

I've been using MediaShout weekly since 2009. I've learned most of the tricks, bugs and shortcuts to the older 4.5 version, but I haven't really tried version 6 a ton because I can't get it to do what I want all the time.

Pros

Very easy to add lyrics to the presentation, integrated nicely with other products most churches probably use anyways.

Cons

I am currently using version 6 and version 4.5. I am sticking with 4.5 for now because I can't find a good way to use my keyboard on version 6. In version 4.5 you can use the arrow keys to navigate the cues without firing them, then hit enter on the one you want to fire to the presentation. Maybe I just don't know how to use the newer software, but it feels a lot harder to control since I'm using my mouse a lot more. (on my laptop I want to stay away from the trackpad as much as possible!) You can go through (sort of) the cues with your arrow keys but enter isn't the way to fire the cues, and I have a lot of volunteers that help me out with running media, so I want things to be as simple as possible but also flexible enough to skip cues if need be, so telling them to just press spacebar isn't always the best way to do it either.

There's also some overall clunky things in the newer version with editing songs and text cues and how it reformats when you try to repaginate things to your liking.

It looks like a nice try, there's just enough finnicky things about it to keep me tied to the older, slower 4.5 version for now.

Response from MediaComplete

We appreciate the feedback. V6 is a little different- it puts more at your fingertips without going to different layers to edit. Multiple parts of the program are "active" at the same time. We tried to allow for things like entering numbers and pressing enter to fire, but the challenge was that commands were being sent to the editing functions and not just to the control functions. However, there are a couple of ways to navigate and fire cues such as the F7 and F9 keys, or like you said, the space bar. You can even assign custom keys. You only need to click to jump to out of order. I do realize that is common, so I hear you. For text editing, be sure you have page breaks inserted (Ctrl + Enter or right click and select "Page Break" in a text box). This keeps your pages split as you want, regardless of changes to text size or text boxes for instance. Let our support know (mediashout.com/support) if you have specific questions so we can help. Thanks again!

Julia A.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

BUYER BEWARE. LICENSE VANISHES.

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Overall, in 10 years, we were left fixing and resetting codec issues multiple times a year.

It worked 85% of the time and most recently not at all.

Pros

We have been customers for upwards of 10 years.
The program worked with dual monitors.

Cons

We have purchased several upgrades - one because they forced us to. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

A few months ago we showed up for service as usual and our program said we were using a trial version. It started the 30 day countdown.

Eventually we dig out the registration codes for the product we had purchased and it would not accept the code. We tried multiple times but it would never go through.

We contacted tech support and eventually they just told us the company that managed the licenses for them no longer was. We asked what we could do to fix the problem.

The answer? Pay $400 to get a new version. WHAT?!? We purchase a product with the express understanding they are going to deliver on that product.

Instead, because they made an unfortunate decision to do business with the wrong company, it was going to cost US -the customer- $400. No product discount, no alternate license or work around. Just a response that would mean they succeeded at doing this to us TWICE.

I’m not happy nor would I recommend this product. It does the job. There were things we liked and didn’t like but because of the investment we had, we stayed. No longer.

We still haven’t replaced our program. We will be very diligent in reading reviews so we can get a company that is:

1) available with tech support without charging an additional fee and
2) stands behind the service they offer

Carlyn Y.

Have used for over ten years

Reviewed on 09/07/2020

Pros

Easy and intuitive once you are up and running. Many times I've been w/o a tech and had to grab a random person from the congregation to advance the screens while I was directing.
Literally tell them "Just hit the space bar ". Have recruited several tech subs that went on to being proficient once they tried it!

Cons

The down time needed to learn each new full version (not the updates).

ProPresenter

Reasons for Choosing MediaShout

Much faster, adding moving backgrounds are a snap

Microsoft PowerPoint

Reasons for Switching to MediaShout

I've been to seminars where they pushed PP. Had to keep pointing out MS does the same things, in my opinion easier. Especially if u rely on non-techs to fill in
Mary W.

The software is very powerful and has features for every size church and way/style of worship.

Reviewed on 21/05/2018

The software is built and designed for churches ... and allows me to support our worship services with spectacular visuals and a smooth running one hour services. The team of support people is outstanding. This software is the bomb and I love it.

Pros

It allows me to use beautiful motions as backgrounds and I can put text over the motions. It's easy to use and very well supported by a team of very knowledgeable and helpful Christian people. I don't use/need even half of the functionality but what I do use allows me to create wonderful hour-long services in a liturgical "high church" setting. I love my work as a visual worship leader and could not even begin to do my church justice without this wonderful and powerful software.

Cons

Same thing with all software I guess ... when big new releases come out, the learning curve is very rough. Part of that is on my shoulders because I'm not a young techy ... but wow sometimes I wonder why developers don't take into consideration the stress it creates and time required to have the user interface change so drastically that the user feels lost and has to start from scratch. And you know how much time we have on our hands. But, bottom line is the software and support is awesome and I love it.

• Used for 2+ years

Church Media on a Budget

Reviewed on 21/08/2018

I used multiple versions of this software for about three years. The upgrades were better each time they came out. After the learning curve, the software is easy to use. That being said, there are better options out there if you're willing to spend a little more.

Pros

MediaShout had great customer service that understood what our church needed from the software. Overall, it was pretty easy to use. It came with a number of backgrounds and Bible versions preloaded in the software.

Cons

While the software was easy to use, there is a somewhat steep learning curve. For the price, it lacks some major features other worship software options. Depending on your situation, the extra money might be worth it. The major con is that each song must be manually entered. If this has been modified in a recent update, please disregard this con.

Response from MediaComplete

Thank you so much for your review! Since version 4 (2009), songs no longer have to be manually entered. With our SongSelect integration, its a breeze to add in lyrics! We would love to also know what major features it lacks. It could be that they are simply overlooked as we have features that no one has. Let our support team know if we can help further!

Dan S.

Good Projection Tool with some quirks

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Pros

I really like the ease with which you can build a script for your service and update the information from week to week. I also really like that you can build your own lyric library so you are not constantly entering the hymn lyrics from week to week.

Cons

I find that computer updates often change the output settings, particularly audio, and as a volunteer I don't always have time to make sure everything is working correctly. Also, the paste function within MediaShout acts differently (whether it keeps source formatting or not) depending on right click and paste vs. using crtl+v which I find a bit annoying. I also wish it was easier to create slideshows within MediaShout, but that is not too hard to do with the native photos app on the computer.

• Industry: Computer Networking

Niche features, with caveats

Reviewed on 12/06/2019

Pros

Ability to quickly recall lyrics and scriptures to make a great presentation

Cons

Plagued by frequent crashes, even after applying patches recommended by vendor

ProPresenter

Reasons for Choosing MediaShout

Featureset targeted at churches

Microsoft PowerPoint

Reasons for Switching to MediaShout

Appeared easier to train volunteers on

Response from Wordsmith

Hey there! I wonder if there's a system issue going on such as a video card needing a driver update, video codecs needing to be reinstalled, or Windows updates need completing. Version 6 is a very solid program and I trust it on the road worship leading myself- even on an older lower powered laptop. I'm confident our support can make recommendations to get you where you need to be (just reach out at mediashout.com/support). Also, do check out Version 7, as it's built on a completely new platform and it's less susceptible to even external system issues that caused poor performance in the past-- everything is in the box including video codecs needed for smooth performance with media files. We've worked hard to make it one of the most stable and reliable programs out there.

Don M.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

MediaShout great for beginners & small churches

Reviewed on 27/12/2018

We are a small church and do not have an audio-video group or experiences in running software like MediaShout. I asked people at my work who attend other churches about what they have used, and MediaShout was one of the recommendations. As I researched them, their feature set and ease-of-use, along with the ability to buy a computer equipped with the necessary video card and other hardware, made them our best option. MediaShout support also helped me with planning the purchase of the 3 TV monitors & how to install them with the computer. Overall, it was a great success for a small church doing it on our own, with no prior experience.

Pros

Ease of use for a beginner. As I've used it more, I've learned more & more things about the software, and have become very proficient in how we use it at our church. I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface of its full feature set, but for our church, we are very pleased with it.

Cons

Occasionally, something doesn't work quite work as expected or the way it did before - but in each case, I've contacted support and got it working correctly again. In most cases, it was caused by someone changing a setting that was expected to have an impact. We're beginners, and don't have a professional team running our audio-visual equipment, so sometimes we cause the problems ourselves.

Avery M.

Media Shout is a Worship NECCESITY

Reviewed on 02/01/2021

Overall, Media Shout is a simple program that makes preparing for services much easier. There were many times where we didn't have lyrics to a song, and I was able to type it up quickly before service even started! Sometimes simple interface can make everything run smoother.

Pros

Being a musician, I sometimes travel to many churches with many different programs. MediaShout is one of those programs that stands out greatly. With the easy interface, it makes your lyrics look amazing! I loved the background choices they give you.

Also great for making points on sermons. Much better than using Powerpoint, which many churches use because of it being the only option they have on their computers.

Cons

The cost is a bit pricey. It does come with quite a bit of things, but the more you want access to, the more you have to pay. I just wish it was a bit cheaper.

Mary C.

MediaShout

Reviewed on 26/12/2018

I use MediaShout for our worship services. I prepare the presentations and show them during the worship services.

Pros

Bible verses and lyrics for most of the songs that we sing during a worship service are included so I don't have to type in all of the words. It is wonderful that I can just select the items and load them into a presentation. I download songs that aren't included using SongSelect, too. I love that I can quickly correct or make changes during a presentation. We often include videos seamlessly. MediaShout enables our worship services to be professional looking without having a professional preparing them!

Cons

There's so much function and capabilities that I am not aware of. I wish I knew better how to use the software and even be aware of the things that it can do.

Karen H.

Wonderful servant's heart!

Reviewed on 25/07/2018

The software makes it so much easier to build services for the screens than using something like Power Point. I am able to build items into the service that can be reused which saves me lots of time.

Pros

Great product for building traditional services with liturgy and contemporary services with the latest music.

Cons

I still have times when the program locks up and kicks me off. Usually this happens when I am working on music or music backgrounds.

Michael T.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

MediaShout is excellent worship software that is packed full of features

Reviewed on 06/04/2018

Was able to create complex and and beautiful presentations.

Pros

My church moved from EasyWorship to MediaShout, and the difference was like night and day to me. MediaShout is more complex, and somewhat difficult to learn, but it had one thing that EasyWorship did not and that was documentation and because of the MediaShout quickly became my favorite worship software. Before I changed churches, I was able to create complex presentations with ease. Great job guys!

Cons

As I said it is difficult to learn at first, but there is excellent documentation provided, and tons of walkthroughs online.

Response from MediaComplete

Hey Michael,

Thank you for your review! I'm glad you were able to use many of the features available in the program to create elegant presentations.

Be blessed!

Lenny W.

Thoroughly enjoy using MediaShout 6

Reviewed on 21/05/2018

Pros

Gee, there are so many pros with this program that it is difficult to pick just one. Maybe, if I hae to pick one I would lean to the lyric library. It is so simple to use existing songs and a piece of cake to add new ones.

Cons

Once again this is hard to to come up with. Maybe I could say that with MediaShout 5, we were able to edit the lyric library ID numbers where in 6 this can't be done.

Kirby M.

Its ok...

Reviewed on 12/10/2018

Pros

This works with well with PowerPoint. It has been improving over the years.

Cons

Still not as easy to use as ProPresenter.

Response from MediaComplete

Hey Kirby,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! While Powerpoint has been challenging for many worship presentation software companies due to Microsoft Updates, we do have a couple of great options that get the job done in that area one way or another.

We were surprised to see that you found ProPresenter easier to use! While we have nothing bad to say about their product at all, we normally hear the opposite about MediaShout being the easiest to learn. We fully believe we are the most accessible presentation software for any church, regardless of size or technical skill level.

If you're running into any specific issues, reach out to our team and I'm sure we can make things easier for you, and quickly at that! Whether it be providing extra training resources or just a simple question/answer that makes a "light bulb go off," our support is very responsive and willing to help get you where you need to be.

-The MediaShout Team

John M.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Mediashout--less heard of, but cheap and reliable!

Reviewed on 07/12/2018

I loved using it and found it super fun and easy. I could explain to someone else how to use it in minutes. It's great to be able to do things in the background while a slideshow is going or a video is running. It's easy to set moving backgrounds and it has pretty good default art setups for church presentation.

Pros

I grew up using this software to run media for our church. It was super simple and easy to teach others. It had all the basic functions necessary for church presentation. It's an easy windows program that's a MASSIVE upgrade from powerpoint and not as complciated to use as ProPresenter.

Cons

It doesn't have all the fancy options that ProPresenter has. Also, I'm seeing the price of MediaShout has increased significantly, which is a con.

Nellie H.

Excellent Program for Churches

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

Able to show lyrics of the songs to the congregation, able to show videos . It just makes church so much better.

Pros

So easy to learn and use. Customer Service is excellent and their training sessions is extremely helpful.

Cons

I honestly can't say anything bad about this software. It really doesn't matter what size is your church this software ITS A MUST GET !

Thaddeus P.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Can get the job done... with a catch.

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Overall MediaShout has done a very good job in creating presentation for our entire church service. That inludes the sermon, sermon notes as well as the praise and worship set. It also helps that it serves as a good archival tool.

Pros

There are alot of functionality fatures. It gives you the ability to add multple media types as well as create slide designs and trasitions. You can also save detailed templates, this allows you to make dozens of presentaions very fast by simply adjusting the elements.

Cons

The UI is VERY cumbersome. Navigation of the program doesn't have a very shallow learning curve. This can leave a lot of room for mistakes, especially for users with little to no expirence with presentation sofware.

Micah S.

MediaShout Works!

Reviewed on 03/10/2019

Good. Worked for what we were needing in presenting to our audience with a professional, yet user friendly approach for our volunteers. Did what we needed it to do!

Pros

I liked the ability to use multiple resources within MediaShout, whether that was a video, a PowerPoint, or whatever media I was needing to use - I was able to implement that through MediaShout.

Cons

The instability with Mac. It has definitely improved, but initially had some frustrations in how it was "incompatible" with Mac users.

Jennifer S.

Our Software of Choice

Reviewed on 11/12/2018

The functionality to pull new lyrics from Planning Center Online has been a great feature we have recently started using. We still have challenges with this, but love the option instead of just searching online for lyrics.

Pros

This software is made for Churches. It seamlessly incorporates scriptures, announcements, and lyrics in a professional and beautiful production. We love how we have been able to build themes and adjust our presentations to both the preference of the events and speakers.

Cons

The layout change from 5 to 6 has been challenging to adopt. However, we get more confident each week and look forward to when we will be able to use the product to it's potential.

Carolyn N.

MediaShout has dramatically enhanced the worship at our church!

Reviewed on 07/06/2018

MediaShout has made creating worship lyric presentations a joy! It has greatly enhanced the worship at our church. It is very easy to learn, and it has wonderful customer support.

Pros

Introducing new songs for worship use to be a big chore! We use to have to type out all the lyrics, which left lots of room for human error. MediaShout links directly with Song Select, making lyric additions a simple import. I also love the ability to add still photos and motion graphics to our worship lyrics. It's amazing how a carefully selected background can set the tone and add to the worship experience. I've had very positive feedback from our members since using this product for the last ten months. The software is very easy to use. The customer support is wonderful!

Cons

PowerPoint presentations can not be directly imported into the MAC version of this software, but PowerPoint slides can be converted to JPEGs and brought in that way, though it takes more time.

John B.

Mediashout 7 and over the years

Reviewed on 23/04/2020

Mediashout and the producers of this very feature rich presentation program have refined the product to the point where it meets all of our needs and I am comfortable that we will be able to depend on it in the future.
Mediashout 7 and the years of thought given to the resulting user interface represents a legacy of usefulness that I greatly appreciate.

Pros

Features, interface, superior support and great upgrade price - all make this a program that I can recommend highly.

Cons

A bit of a learning curve, but nothing to complain home about in writing. It helps to have more than a modicum of computer experience - but that is expected.

Derek W.

We have seen mediashout continuously improving its overal quality through each software...

Reviewed on 05/06/2018

Pros

The software is very well thought out. There isnt any features that we as a church have needed that mediashout does not already have available. Also ease of editing slides on the fly is our single most convienent feature we have found!

Cons

Adding tags or customs lyrics in an existing song has been a challenge for us when using multiple output screens. There does not seem to be a straight forward and fast way to add the tag and get it displaying on the correct output screen. Mediashout 5 did have this feature configured well but we are still waiting to see it revised in mediashout 6.

Elijah T.

MediaShout is a great presentation software for churches. We've been using it for over 2...

Reviewed on 13/07/2018

WE HAVE LOVED USING MEDIASHOUT - IT HAS REALLY TAKEN OUR PRESENTATIONS TO THE NEXT LEVEL!

Pros

MediaShout allows users to present a variety of media in a user-friendly interface while allowing access to edit media in real time! We have a team of several different volunteers that are able to navigate and edit as needed. Also, their customer care is top notch!

Cons

While the interface is user-friendly, it has had several updates for the various issues, especially this last year. But take heart, they have been very timely in their updates. They've been working hard to catch any bugs that come up.

Garrett F.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Does what it says

Reviewed on 04/10/2018

It allowed our small church to play worship videos (we don't have a band).
It also allowed us to show the bible passages on the projector as they were being read so the parishioners could focus on the message rather than hunting the passage down in their Bibles.

Pros

Ability to quickly add and edit slides on the fly.
Setup recurring events.
Plan out the service weeks in advance

Cons

Clunky would be the best way to describe it.
Rendering times could be slow especially when changing slides (usually a several second delay).
All videos were stuck on a loop and you have to manually switch to the next one (the auto-advance feature either doesn't work or requires that you manually enter the length of each video).

Response from MediaComplete

Hey there!

Thanks for taking the time to review MediaShout. It looks like these issues are not problems with the program but configuration issues that can be resolved, or functions you may not be aware of how to use, and we'd be glad to help!

The program should run quickly and smoothly with no delay in rendering slides. If you're not seeing that, it could be anything from hardware to maybe even just a setting. Please contact our support team so we can help you find the answer. We have several ways to reach out at www.mediashout.com/support.

As for videos, there's a setting to play them "1" time instead of "Loop." There's also a setting to make them auto-advance at the end. Just choose advance at "End of Media" instead of choosing "Timed" and having to enter a specific length of seconds. If you have trouble finding those settings, let us know. It's a simple and quick answer that will save you tons of time.

Again thanks for your time and being a part of our MediaShout family!