GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

4.4 (2,402)
Open-source and on-premise image manipulation software

(2,402)
4.8/5
4.3/5
3.8/5
4/5

2402 Software options

Sarah S.

A Great Starter Program for Anyone Wanting to Learn Graphic Design Since It's Free

Reviewed on 14/10/2021

I really appreciated that Gimp was a free software program to get my teeth cut on before taking the dive to purchase the Adobe Cloud. I would recommend Gimp to anyone on a budget that's wanting to get their feet wet in the design field.

Pros

What did I like most about Gimp? The cost! We were recommended Gimp by an IT friend as a free alternative to Photoshop. Before I decided to go with the Adobe Cloud, my budget could only allow for Gimp. I appreciated that there was software with some of the capabilities of Photoshop for free. The layout/interface is similar to Photoshop and many of the sidebar tools are similar to Photoshop. I recommend Gimp for anyone who doesn't have the budget for the Adobe Cloud but wants to learn graphic design.

Cons

What would take a couple of simple steps in Photoshop takes multiple more steps in Gimp. On the upside, there are quite a bit of video tutorials to walk you through these multiple steps of Gimp on Youtube, but when you compare the process to Photoshop, it's time-consuming and it can be frustrating to a newbie. I'll give you a for instance, a book mockup will take about a minute on Photoshop either by finding a template and working with the layers panel to replace the mockup sample image or by finding a 3-dimensional book and using some of the perspective tools to manipulate the image unto the 3-dimensional pages.

With Gimp, I looked up a tutorial on Youtube and discovered that it would take 10-15 minutes for me to do this process. Not to mention, I also needed to use Pixlr (another free software program) in conjunction with Gimp to accomplish the outcome. At the time before getting the Adobe Suite, I was just happy that I could do a graphic task that would normally take the work of Photoshop!

Luis ignacio C.

The most complete emerging program for graphic design.

Reviewed on 23/04/2019

One of the greatest benefits that I have received is having a program that works very well in the main operating systems of the market, which has helped me a lot when meeting requirements in work meetings, in which clients ask me specific improvements in my designs. Another beneficial element for me, and for the companies in which I have been working, is the economic savings, the money is invested in operational improvements, which translates into better service for customers and a better quality of life for workers who can perceive significant improvements.

Pros

I like to have a high-quality program completely free, that has helped me a lot to invest in equipment that I need for my work. Similar programs, such as Photoshop, offer the same thing but the issue of licensing restrains any graphic design entrepreneur who seeks to work. Another aspect that I like very much is that I have the support of a large community, that of free software, which gives me a lot of peace of mind when I do not know any steps at the moment of designing. Many do not know but have a training platform that even certifies your participation, which gives you the advantage to improve your curriculum. Also, its constant updating has allowed me to diversify the formats with which I can work, I have not found any aspect that I can not achieve with Gimp, I am very satisfied with everything it offers me.

Cons

Over the years improve all applications that are contained, I have not found negative aspects that warrant my opinion. On the contrary, I am very happy to have software that cares about its users and does not limit its use with expensive licenses. With great care and respect, I believe it is one of the best options in the market for graphic design workers.

Vernessa T.

GIMP is No Wimp! A Solid Choice for Graphics Work; Robust Toolset Rivals Commercial Counterpart...

Reviewed on 12/08/2018

Overall, GIMP is a fine open source replacement for PhotoShop and some of the other expensive creative suites. For a layperson who occasionally designs a banner or image for their website, GIMP is probably overkill and downright daunting. But for a graphics design artist or someone who likes to dabble, the toolset is robust, with elements to rival its commercial counterparts.

I don't mind dabbling and doing my own simple graphics. As an open source proponent, I like using tools that give you the freedom to do with them as you please. For example, I use GIMP on both Windows and Linux platforms.

GIMP has been a staple in my toolchest for many years. Its a solid choice for heavier graphics work; I use it alongside simpler tools (like screenshot utilities) and in conjunction with snazzier tools like Canva.

Pros

powerful punch: The GNU Image Manipulation Program.)

GIMP is software you install on your computer. To my knowledge there is no SaaS (online software-as-a-service) counterpart.

As a regular Linux user one huge benefit for me is that GIMP was initially created for the Linux environment. But unlike many Linux programs, GIMP has a true Windows version that is not poorly ported over. It's as elegant on Windows as it is on Linux. There are no penalties for installing GIMP on each and every computer you own and I've never encountered problems when mixing and matching the files from different flavors (i.e., Windows or Linux).

It's rock steady; I don't remember a time when GIMP actually crashed. And if you are ready to exit, GIMP always reminds you to save any unsaved changes to your designs.

GIMP has a simple uncluttered interface. "Simple interface" is relative; many menu items have dockable windows (like its commercial counterparts) so managing the various docking windows is what will keep it simple and uncluttered.

One of the first things I ever used GIMP for was to import and edit some graphics saved in PhotoShop. I'm not a designer so I don't understand what half the tools do; I use only a few of the many features on a regular basis.

Primarily I use it for quick web graphics, banners and graphics for blog articles, converting images to different formats, and sometimes to take screenshots (but others screenshot tools are quicker and more intuitive).

Cons

It would be nice to have a few "modes" that hide or reveal tools based on your anticipated usage. For example, a "novice" interface mode would be nice.

The help system is decent but is a bit cryptic and designed for the designer (not a layperson). I would love to see better intuitive context-sensitive help. For example, hovering over a tool would give a much more understandable explanation.

The screenshot tool could be more accessible (when not working in GIMP).

Abhishek T.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Best alternative for photoshop

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

It is perfect for me. Photoshop is very costly for me. Usually for my game development I use inkscape but for altering the output image , now I use gimp and experience is fine enough. I will surely recommend it to others

Pros

The best part which I love about it is that it is open source software. It gives a very good satisfaction and gives a way for other also to improve it.
The other best part which I love about it is its price(FREE) . This removes the barrier for many newbies.
Other than that the features which I really appreciate about it is frequent update cycles,huge community and options of adding plugins and scripts ( many users donate it for free for other users)

Cons

1.) UI in my opinion is quite old fashioned.
2.) It takes more clicks to achieve the same goal as compared to other rivals like Photoshop
3.) It's compatibility with other software is not so smooth ( this experience may differ from user to user)
4.) It had been quite a time since it was released but still it has failed to make an impact on commercial space ( take the example of blender:- it has acquired attention of many big players in the market)
5.) Performance ( bigger files):- I have noticed that photoshop is much more better in managing bigger project as compared to gimp (not a huge difference but still)

Joshua T.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Can't Beat it With Any Paid Software, So Why Try?

Reviewed on 28/03/2020

Overall, GIMP is a lifesaver in my industry as a whole and we could not get along without it.

Pros

While there is a steep learning curve, it's worth the effort to have a full featured piece of software that works just as well as the extremely expensive competition and has a smaller footprint all around at the same time. Text along a path has saved me hours of work alone.

Cons

There seem to be extraneous steps to many aspects of the software. Export as x rather than just saving as x if the file type is anything other than Gimp's built in type, even if the file you're working on is the type you're trying to save as, things like that. And the selection and path tools work in a strange, counterintuitive manner that makes one have to redo their work several times to get it right. No matter how baby times you do it, it never seems to do what you want it to do the first five times you try.

Amiya D.

An Open-Source Web-Based Image Editor.

Reviewed on 04/08/2020

It has multiple supports of languages such as C++, Perl, C, Scheme Python and many others. It provides a high quality framework for scripted images. It provides high-quality features for color management. It has large numbers of plugins and scripts. It can be used as an expert quality photo retouching program, a simple paint program, an online batch processing system, an image format converter etc. It allows you to open multiple images at a single time. It has various selection tools and panting tools.

Pros

It is a GNU Image Manipulation Program which helps in editing images. It is available for OS X, Linux, Windows and other operating systems. It provides various tools for illustrators, graphic designers, photographers and many other professionals. It has various third party plugins which help in enhancing productivity. Its various tools help in the manipulation of high-quality images. It helps to produce graphical design elements, icons, logos and other artworks.

Cons

Some of its features need to be more intuitive. It has limited options to develop 3D designs; there must be more helpful options. It will take some time in downloading fonts. As compared to Photoshop it has fewer features. Its scripting may be difficult to use if you do not have any experience. It has various menus, submenus and functions which are complex and may be difficult for beginners.

Keith V.
  • Industry: Philanthropy

GIMP is great, if you know what your doing.

Reviewed on 28/11/2019

Fantastic but it's a complicated software for the uninitiated.

Pros

This is a very robust and useful image editing software akin to Adobe's Photoshop suite. It's quite useful and features a ton of the same or similar tools you'll find in the aforementioned suite, with one exception. GIMP IS COMPLETELY FREE TO USE! It's fantastic and nearly as good as Photoshop in every way. In fact, you can find many Photoshop tutorials online and the same exact steps will apply to GIMP to get the same end result for any effects your trying to create!

Cons

Photoshop isn't the easiest software to teach yourself, you have to be extremely tech savvy to accomplish such a feat. The same applies to GIMP. If you don't already know how to use Photoshop going into GIMP, you better read up on how to use the software or get some one and one training (or even take a college class or something). If you don't, you'll be lost in trying to use the software to edit images. There's always YouTube tutorials these days.

Ulises M.

Retouch image and manipulated giving it the best personal touch

Reviewed on 28/06/2018

In the foundation in which I work one of the activities is participation in social networks and we all know that an image says more than a thousand words is for them that a team is responsible for the editing and manipulation of images and another part of the publication of social networks, when I started working with him I had an incredible potential since I could make great editions and give life to images that were not so attractive. That is why when I found out about this tool, I called myself So much attention.

Pros

It is the most used and popular image editor in my work since it is multiplatform, it also has a very friendly environment and for those people who do not dominate the computer it is very simple, as well as for those who find it easy to get inside of the tools and exploit their potential at the time of mounting images and have an excellent finish, as well as being free software and being able to take the portable with me and install it quickly and easily on any computer.

Cons

It has multiple tools that make the manipulation of the image very simple and with great potential for editing them, besides being very light, but when installed in some operating systems, the toolbars are deconfigured, which makes image manipulation complicated although already having experience configuring it, everything is fixed.

Anne C.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Powerful Photo-Editing Program to Satisfy Advanced Needs

Reviewed on 05/09/2018

I've been using Gimp for years for advanced photo editing. I use other programs for simple editing, but when I need more detailed and/or targeted editing, Gimp is great. You can create PNG images with transparent backgrounds; delete and replace backgrounds; selectively edit colors; use a multitude of special effects; etc. You can orient a text box to match the orientation of an item you're adding text to (which my simpler programs don't do). I find Gimp to be as powerful and easier than PhotoShop. I don't work in layers, so can't speak to the ease, or lack thereof, of doing that.

Advanced functions aren't intuitive; looking up how to do things is a must. Also, Gimp can be glitchy. In particular, I've found the clone tool to be very good, but even when accessed properly, it sometimes doesn't work. This seems to be a common complaint. Sometimes the problem is that you're not in the right layer. But even in a single-layer image, I often have trouble, especially in the new version, v. 2.10.4. But there are also some improvements in this upgrade.

I'm not a professional designer, so my knowledge and ability are limited. However, I've recommended the program to many people, and an advanced PhotoShop user recently told me he thinks Gimp is just as good. Overall, for me, Gimp is a perfect solution when my basic photo-editing programs won't do the trick. I highly recommend it.

Pros

It's free and is an outstanding alternative to PhotoShop, with all the functions most people, including professional graphic designers, will need.

Cons

Some functions can be glitchy, and even accessing the help function doesn't always help. But there are a multitude of online resources to help.

Amit G.

Good image editing softwre

Reviewed on 26/04/2020

I am overall happy with features and availability of such application. Rather than using cracked or pirated versions of paid software, we can use GIMP and it fulfills almost 95% requirements easily. Overall great experience. You are doing wonderful job GIMP team!!

Pros

This GIMP tool is really very helpful for editing of images. It is open-source hence no burden on pocket. it is very light weight hence runs even on low resources of system and doesn't hangs your system unlike other graphics editing software. It can be easily installed on Windows and Linux machines which makes us realtively easy to use this software at any platform. Every deep tool which makes give us more flexibility to work efficiently. Overall this software is great of use.

Cons

The user-interface is relatively hard to use. The shortcuts are not easy to use. its not much user-friendly and makes hard to navigate many times. We don't have much help available just because this is free of cost application. There should be paid version also so that we can get enhanced services for this software. At least something could be equivalent to Adobe Photoshop in competition.

Reynaldo U.

A incorporation that I did on my own in my work, bringing excellent results

Reviewed on 23/07/2018

Pros

I have always been an enthusiast in the imageological projection of the activities that we develop in the Foundation, this with the purpose of visually enriching our task, and also to project it, either in social networks or in projections to the community that follows us, or to the sponsor who invest in our ideas and projects.

That's why I introduced and presented to my bosses this software that has allowed us to edit images with a high quality, introducing modifiable layers, elimination of shadow or light depending on the visual result we look for, change the format of the photo either in jpg, png and even raw, doing quality works to expose them in a better way.

GIMP is a high value tool for our Foundation and we carry out permanent training so that our operators also use it when publishing photographs of different community activities.

Cons

Although, at the beginning it is a little complex to use since it is a program for editing images by vectors, only using them routinely makes you learn quickly how to handle all your tools.

Erik M.

GIMP: The Best Free Alternative for Photoshop

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

GIMP is hands-down the best free alternative to Photoshop. It is very useful for users working with me who may not have access to Photoshop due to their costly subscription model but can still open and edit my .PSD files and other file types within the Adobe suite and comparable programs.

Pros

You can import any file types compatible with Adobe products including .AI files from Illustrator and work on them in GIMP. I can run GIMP all day and not have it crash randomly (as I do frequently in Adobe applications which have a much higher price tag).

I have never run into any issues with lag or difficulties saving or editing documents in GIMP. It is a very robust, inclusive program with features very similar to Photoshop but FOR FREE!

I use this product on Windows and Max with no issues and recommend it to anyone wanting to delve into digital art without having to purchase an expensive license for a similar piece of software.

Cons

GIMP's updates leave a bit to be desired. When Adobe updates a program, you can really appreciate the new features and subtle changes they have made whereas GIMP has stayed relatively the same. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing since I love GIMP., but it would be nice to see them compete on a higher level with more well-known products.

Michael B.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Great value for the money

Reviewed on 23/01/2019

I use this program on a daily basis. I use it for my own personal graphics, logos, banners, and designs. I also use it for my own video edits, and animations as well. I also use it for a lot of work I do for clients. I use GIMP for all my photo editing and creating needs from a simple photo red-eye edit all the way up to creating entire graphic set for a webpage.

Pros

When I started learning about graphic design I had no money to buy the big fancy expensive programs. GIMP made learning graphic design very affordable and easy. The interface works very well. It is very easy to find the tools I need to complete an art project. There many different filters, and scripts to use to enhance my art as well.

Cons

There are some features that are included in big name brand art software. Some of these features such as brush strokes, and simple shading and lighting effects. You have to take a lot of extra steps to recreate these features.

Eugenio manuel M.

I am not a graphic designer, but I have needed to learn how to use Photoshop and GIMP last 3...

Reviewed on 20/07/2018

They have a huge and omnipresent competitor, but, when I can't pay for it or when I need a fast photo editing or I do not have a powerful computer near, I will never doubt that Gimp is the way to go.

Pros

Gimp is free. That makes the value for money unbeatable. Also, it works fluently wherever. It does not need a powerful computer to work properly as is needed by his main rival: Photoshop.

There is a lot of people who say that is not professional, but I have never ever had a client who asked me: do you use Gimp or Photoshop?.

Also, apart from being free, Gimp has a big community of volunteers working on it, so, probably, it will get, if not every, the most popular functions in Photoshop.

Gimp is easy to use and is a very very powerful tool that can make your life and photo editing easier.

The only program that can compete with Gimp is Photoshop and is very very expensive.

Cons

Ok. Photoshop is the only program that can compete with Gimp and it is expensive.

But is more powerful. Has more tools, more automated things, and, more important: better management of colour.

Gimp needs better management of colour, is complicated to work with CMYK colours and has fewer plugins (Would not be fair to say that a lot of them works also in Gimp)

Also, even if Gimp is powerful, if you go to a job interview for something related to photo editing o graphic design, they will ask you about your knowledge of Photoshop. A client would not be interested, but a boss will want you to know Photoshop, even if it is "using a sledgehammer to crack a nut"

Matthew P.
  • Industry: Machinery
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

An Inexpensive Graphic Editor Offering Plenty of Tools & Features

Reviewed on 24/05/2021

For the price and number of features Gimp is my #1 recommended tool for those looking for a Photoshop alternative or a comparable product.

Pros

Gimp is free and offers many of the same tools and features found in more premium graphic editors like PhotoShop CC etc. Anyone who's used programs like Photoshop should find Gimp's tools fairly similar. The learning curve in Gimp is moderate and should not pose a problem with user's familiar with Photoshop.

Cons

Getting support is difficult. Most issues with Gimp can only be resolved by doing searches online or by contacting the Gimp community's support forum.

Adobe Photoshop

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

The price and the number of features made it the better solution for our needs.
Casey W.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Best free editing software on the market

Reviewed on 18/09/2019

GIMP has been a great addition to my library. I use it anytime I need something designed or edited. Haven't used another tool since I discovered it.

Pros

For starters, it's free. It's a very powerful program comparatively and even more so when you consider that you are not paying for it.

I explain in the cons that I had trouble finding certain features at first, but as I got more familiar with GIMP, this was less of an issue. It has everything you could need for picture editing.

Cons

At first, the UI is a bit clunky. Well, I said "at first" but it never really gets better. It is fully customizable however and I recommend doing so.

Adding onto the UI, it is a bit hard to find some of the features. Maybe this is due to my overall inexperience with editing but on more than one occasion I had trouble finding a feature that I was looking for.

• Industry: Design

More than an image editor

Reviewed on 12/07/2021

Pros

It's really tough to select the 'most like' option because almost all the features I do use, e.g. cropping, retouching images, noise reduction, etc., are so easy that I enjoy it.

Cons

What I feel, it should have the capability to handle WebP files. I miss it.

Maryelis B.

GIMP is great! You can edit any image easily and it's free!

Reviewed on 27/03/2018

GIMP provides all the necessary tools to edit your images as a professional. It is an excellent image editor. If you need to improve the photographs for your marketing campaign this is a good option.

Pros

GIMP is a fairly complete image editing software, layer management is very good, has a large number of filters; You can also export the images in different formats such as TIFF, JPG and PSD; this allows compatibility with other image editing software. The user interface to handle the levels and the color curves are excellent. In addition, it is a software that does not require a high performance PC.

Cons

There are few plugins to add new features, the view grids are very dark sometimes the image does not look good. There is little documentation about GIMP, as well as very few communities.

Jessi G.

Excellent Option for Beginners

Reviewed on 27/03/2020

I've used Gimp for years previously before moving on to programs more specific to graphic design. Since it is free to use I would recommend it as an excellent first program for designers or artists to get used to the sort of tools needed in digital art.
While I wouldn't recommend it as the only program to use, it lacks some of the more specfic tools used in photography or other specialized areas of art, for PC users it's a great jumping off point.
The lag is sometimes an issue, and some graphics tablets have problems with pressure with the program and skipping.

Pros

Shares many tools in common with more expensive programs, great for practice, good starting point to learn and excellent setup to test new tools.
Really good for learning the use of more expensive programs without needing to buy them, and being open source updates are often and expansive. As a primary program it's entirely useable and comparable to Adobe products. Has a wide range of compatability with other programs and various file types.

Cons

Does cause some lag on systems, not as compact as some programs. Does stay slightly behind the curve with tools compared to Adobe. There is a learning curve with the tools and not a huge amount of instruction in the program itself but online resources are usually available.
Most features compared to Adobe are offered but the overall running system is a little slower and not as friendly on computers with lower processor speeds.
Loss of pressure at times with some graphics tablets and pens.

Muddassar B.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Free and Open-Source Graphics Editor

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

As a graphic Designer I have designed a lot of beautiful graphic templates using GIMP. I also use this software for Image manipulation and also for illustration. I am really happy and my overall experience with GIMP is really nice.

Pros

GIMP is an open-source and free image manipulation program. You can use this software for image editing, free-form drawing and lots of other things related to graphics designing. Even you are a photographer or a graphic designer GIMP is really best software for you.

Cons

No doubt, there are hundreds of professional options we can find and use in GIMP. I will really appreciate if we will find more 3d effects in this software. Because that will be really good. All other tools and features are awesome.

• Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

A Free And Open Source Photo Editor

Reviewed on 01/12/2019

Overall GIMP is a very powerful photo editor unlike other free photo editors available. We can use GIMP to manipulate photos anyway we want. It is light and powerful. I love it.

Pros

First thing is that GIMP is the best full free photo editor. It has all the tools we need to have when photo manipulating.Its easy to install and very light weight software. GIMP is available on most of the operating systems like windows, Linux, Mac and etc. So what ever OS you use you can use it with the same performance. It support various of file types of photos like JPG, PNG, PDF and etc. GIMP allow us to customize our tool boxes as we wanted which enable us have a flawless use. Not only for photo editing, GIMP is a great tool for drawing and designing. There are plenty of tutorials available on the platforms like YouTube so its easy to learn and use.

Cons

Interface is not much interesting so they can improve it attract more users towards it. For a first user of GIMP they get confused to find relevant tools and filters among those menus but by the time they get familiar with them. Its supports PSD files but sometime filters in those PSD files are not support for the GIMP.

Scott J.

FOSS version of Photo Shop

Reviewed on 07/11/2018

GIMP has been my go to image editor for many years I have used it since version 0. something which has been a while. It has grown and has a large community of users and developers around it so whatever you may want to do in it yo can probably google up someone that can tell you how to do it or a plugin that does it for you. Go forth and draw!

Pros

FREE! this is an open source free version of Photo Shop. There are tons of plugins for GIMP and it has so many features it is easy to get lost in it all. The program is capable of doing just about anything that you can do in Adobe Photo Shop. It is an image editing and manipulation tool. That is not to say you can't create original works of art in it though cause you can. It runs on Linux, Windows and Mac so you are covered no matter what machine you have.

Cons

The interface could use some polish. The panels can become a little confusing and overwhelming at times. and they some times get lost with them all being separate windows on the desktop if you keep a large number of windows open at all times.

May R.
  • Industry: Music

Good option for designers and creators

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

I use it since school to retouch images and drawing. Nowadays i use as professional designer.

Pros

Multiplatform, many plugins and free to use.

Cons

The interface is confusing, you can get lost in the beginning.

Sean G.

GIMP is the best alternative to Photoshop

Reviewed on 24/11/2018

I use this more for personal use BUT I also use it to modify photos in m y business. There are often times I need to post before and afters of my patients and I have to crop, change colors, add watermarks, etc. These functions could not be easier.

Pros

I use GIMP to touch up photos that I take of my family all the time. There are many complicated functions of the program and I have watched many tutorials online, but for a novice user like myself the simple photo touch-up functions work well and are very easy to use. the cloning tool is my favorite. I had a picture with an ugly sign on the side of a barn and I simply cloned a generic part of the barn and covered over the sign and you cannot tell!

Cons

There are so many functions it can me a bit confusing. There are times forget how to do something and it takes me a long time to look through many parts of the program to figure out where the function I am looking for is. But again, I am a novice user and it is likely not an issue for a more seasoned user.

Robert C.
  • Used for 2+ years

GIMP

Reviewed on 09/12/2019

I personally use this over Adobe. I am not a graphic designer, but find that for the average user it works great.

Pros

This is a very good alternative to Adobe CS. It is free, and offers many of the same features, without the high cost.

Cons

Adobe utilizes stronger tools for our graphics department especially with pixel manipulation. However, it is minimal when calculating the cost of subscriptions.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Choosing GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Cost

Reasons for Switching to GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Cost is the biggest factor. We use this for many workstations, but still have Adobe subscription for main graphics team.