Mural

Digital workspace and collaboration management solution

4.2/5

73 Software options

Jennifer K.
  • Industry: Design

Perfect platform for design work sessions!

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

Solving design work sessions and visually organizing projects.

Pros

I'm a designer and given our agency is now WFH, we are all really missing our work sessions, locked in a room looking at a whiteboard, sketching, taping, etc. Mural has let us do that now digitally! Thank goodness! When one of my designers need me to review something, we set up a mural and I can sketch over their designs or leave post-it notes, plug in images for inspiration, anything. It's been such a game changer for agencies and designers.

Cons

I wish you could expand the artboards more or even have the option to do multiple artboards! There are times when we have huge projects that go on for months and we run out of room. Would love to have that be more flexible!

Ana S.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

A great tool for students, educators and teams in the education sector

Reviewed on 14/07/2021

It allowed having a consistent idea spread through our many team members. We all participate in created moodboards and guidelines for every project.

Pros

It made our lives so much easier. When having a lot of on-going projects with a big graphic design team it was hard to keep track of guidelines, styles and visual references without having to constantly ask each other for guidance. In Mural we keep murals for every project, designers go here everytime they have to participate in a new or existing project and document visually how it looks like and set all the important media accessible for everyone.

Cons

When we were considering it, we knew it was exactly what we needed but it was too pricey for our capabilities. After reading, we realized that they gave us a free year because we're on the education industry. This can be renewed once the year ends.

Özen Ş.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Makes Online Meetings More Effective

Reviewed on 30/12/2020

Before Mural, longer online workshops were not effective. Many attendees were losing their focus and the meetings were transforming into inefficient gathering activities. With Mural, we keep all attendees alive and interactive. You can reach working canvas where ever you are and especially voting feature makes easier to get mutual decisions in a democratic environment.

Pros

It allows all participants to work together and collaboratively at the same time. It is easy to use

Cons

I would like to have more templates to use. An open library would be beneficial to adopt this software easier.

Lee D.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Simple - Visual - Powerful

Reviewed on 27/02/2019

Mural is the most intuitive and creative ideation software I have come across. No idea can hide if you get your organization on-board. There are low barriers to learning the tool so it is an easy sell.

Pros

It's a virtual design studio on your computing device (yeah I said that).

Cons

There have been occasions where I ran out of canvas on multi-day design events. The new, larger ideation space has largely fixed that.

Claudia A.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Great collaboration tool

Reviewed on 10/10/2020

Once you use regularly you will find it is a product that is constantly involving and that they are learning from their users and thinking about how they can improve the product. I think it is a tool worth trying.

Pros

Mural is a great tool for agile teams that work remotely, we´ve started using it in this context of COVID-19 and it helps us overcome the challenges of not being able to work and communicate face to face.
I love the concept of having the free space to create and share ideas in real time.

Cons

It might take some time to get used to the tool and to understand this is not a replacement for a real whiteboard, this is something different. Some of the people from my team were really exited when interacting at the first time but some of them weren´t so as a leader may be hard to get everyone on board.

Regina D.

Mural is for great collab!

Reviewed on 26/04/2018

Pros

I like how user friendly and intuitive it is - the power is in getting multiple people on the platform

Cons

the cost. this is great SW, but hard to make a business case to your company depending on the budget - realtime board is a alternative

Angela B.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Used for 1+ year

World's best product

Reviewed on 04/10/2019

The price of the product is indeed affordable enough for any size of company and also a great intuitive for progressive companies of the world.

Pros

With this amazing application I can easily insert photo, videos and different multimedia files into one specific folder to have an easy access to them. Another feature that is my most favorite is its integration power that enables me to integrate with all the useful applications of my interest in a very unique way.

Cons

For me there is no drawback in it only sometimes the updates give useless errors but otherwise everything is perfectly fine.

Missy Y.

Wayfinding is a little weird

Reviewed on 30/08/2018

Pros

The mural.ly team is constantly garnering feedback in order to improve the product. While mural is a great concept to digitize the whiteboard, the execution is solid with room to improve. Great selection of icons and stickers.

Cons

For my peers, I have observed it requires a higher learning curve in order to understand the controls and wayfinding around the board.

Patrick M.

It's been particularly handy through 2020's remote work

Reviewed on 27/07/2020

Especially given the high amounts of remote work happening right now, it's been a very valuable tool to replace our traditional meeting room's whiteboards when we're doing things like planning out wireframes and architecture for our websites and digital tools. It's been a staple in very many meetings that would not have gone so smoothly or collaboratively without Mural. Highly recommended!

Pros

I love the intuitive nature of the tool. The interface is super clean, and it works primarily through simple drag-and-drop. It took me all of a matter of 5 minutes to feel like I knew the tool. Of course, you can then star to dig deeper, left to discover various templates to assist you with various kinds of meetings and board demands.

Cons

There's really not much to not like. The pricing plan is easy to understand, and it is competitive compared to the other tools we looked at. I've also had coworkers and clients with varying levels of technical expertise working in it with no issues. There's even a trial you can sign up for to make sure it is what you are looking for.

Revolutionizes virtual meetings!

Reviewed on 05/03/2019

Pros

Mural has allowed me (a member of a virtual team) to advance our organization's use of Human-Centered Design techniques without always having to bring the group into an in-person meetings. Because of the savings in cost / time due to virtual work, it more than pays for itself, AND it helps to keep the teams connected and brainstorming together.

Cons

It can take a little while for teams to get used to it and come up to speed on how to use it most effectively.

Jaime O.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Mural an excellent option for make brainstorm powerful and increase productivity

Reviewed on 14/10/2021

In general my overall experience has been good i like to work and use this software because gives you the oportinuty to pass to another level using brainstorm sessions. Personally i think this tools comes to change our company think out of the box an make more productive and interactive our meetings

Pros

One of the most important characteristics of Mural is the ease and versatility it gives to brainstorming sesion. Work with people in other countries using Mural is wonderful because all ideas can be located in the same paper and increase your productivity and get a lot of ideas to solve an specific problem.

Cons

Well one of think that is important to improve or add is a tutorial for start to use Mural remember when I and our team use for the first time we spend some time trying to understand how to use it.

Gabrielle C.

Very versatile

Reviewed on 18/06/2020

We have used this in the recent virtual switch due to COVID, and it has come in incredibly handy. We are able to present student work like we would in person, and have faculty critique it.

Pros

I like that your project can be shared with non-users, and it works well for collaborative student projects. The students can see what their peers are doing, and work together.

Cons

It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you play around with it a bit, it’s not hard at all. The mural team was always standing by if I had questions or needed assistance.

Alexandra D.
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Used for Free Trial

Great for creative team work

Reviewed on 07/07/2021

Good. It helped some collaborative thinking processes.

Pros

I really liked that it was just a few clicks-away to start using it as a team and play with the tool. It helps grasp and make sense of ideas in a collaborative manner.

Cons

The pricing per team member is quite steep. We would need to use it very very intensively to justify it financially.

Eduardo D.
  • Industry: Music

A promising future for digital collaboration

Reviewed on 14/05/2020

We've increased usage of it during this time of pandemic, and it's really helped push forward certain projects within our organization. It's been a great addition.

Pros

I love seeing the real time comments and movements from other uses collaborating simultaneously within a workspace. Paired with audio, this really is as close to real time collaboration as one can get

Cons

The mobile and tablet usage of this software is very difficult to use. For instance on mobile there is no landscape viewing, only portrait orientation.

• Industry: Biotechnology

Makes switching to virtual work much easier!

Reviewed on 13/04/2020

We just started using Mural to replace some of our in-person work sessions that would be more interactive as we are all working from home, but still trying to move the work forward.

Pros

I have to admit, I was really skeptical, but our first work session using Mural was awesome. The time flew by and it really did feel like people were engaged in a longer working session, even though they we were all virtual. The features are pretty intuitive, although we also did not try to do anything super advanced.

Cons

Even though the interface is very similar to PowerPoint and generally user-friendly, there are a few quirks, such as moving a lot of pieces without moving the mural, that are annoying. It would also be great to be able to change your name without creating an account--it is hard to keep track of things when everyone is an animal icon.

Desirae G.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Working together even if you are apart.

Reviewed on 27/08/2021

I haven’t used Mural very much yet however I was impressed by my initial use and will definitely continue working with it.

Pros

I love the real-time editing capabilities. I used Mural on a training where all the participants were adding their ideas at the same time. It was awesome to be able to collaborate with others.

Cons

I find the templates to be quite detailed and I would prefer some simpler options. Not all collaborations will require so many parts.

Daniel S.

No other Product Even Comes Close

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

This tool achieves many problems and is suitable for everyday use, personal use, small groups, and large working groups.

Personal Use: visual organization and planning

Small Groups: can quickly move ideas into visual representations that make it very easy to share with other people. MURAL's often become the foundation for projects which people come back to time and time again. It is very satisfying to collaborate with colleagues in this way as much of the applications we use day to day are only design for single users.

Workshops: MURAL is powerful when put in the hands of a facillitator who can then guide a group of people through experiential learning and discussions which lead to emergent thinking and non-intuitive insights.

Visual Documentation: Over the years I have become very proficient as a visual note taker in mural and can listen to speaker or meeting proceed and capture the meeting in a visually engaging way.

Pros

Mural is hands down the most versatile visual communication tool available today. What I love the most is that I can use the tool every day and that its easy enough for most people to get the hang of within a few minutes, allowing anyone to interact in high fidelity.

Cons

The one thing I don't like about Mural is that some people aren't pro users—I wish everyone were =) Also wish that MURALs could be a first class object in GSuite's Drive =)

Heath M.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Nothing else like it!

Reviewed on 31/01/2020

My organization is new to visual thinking, design thinking and collaborative decision making. Mural has been a powerful driver of cultural change. They are constantly on the leading edge of how you can get more from their model and their platform. If you do any design thinking or want to make decisions transparently and quickly...get Mural now.
Its more than whiteboarding - it's about thinking out loud!

Pros

Mural is a powerful collaboration tool that can be mistaken as a "virtual whiteboard". Which it is. But doing any collaborative decision making, doing any kind of design thinking, with remote teams is so much better with Mural than any other collaboration tool (webex, teams, etc).

Cons

Sometimes, for some users, there is a slight learning curve. So make sure for those users who are new to the tool, give them some prep work - create a Playground for them and be very intent on how you lock down the Mural so reduce any confusion they might have.

Liam S.

A must have for distributed teams!

Reviewed on 14/03/2019

I have hosted entire multi day design sessions and Sprints with complex activities and it's been amazing.

Pros

It's amazing for facilitating remote meetings and enabling equal participation between people all over the world.

Cons

User management is the stickiest part. You can deactivate people who become inactive so you aren't being billed for them, but Slack has a nice feature that automatically does that and automatically turns them back on. If you deactivate someone, an admin must manually reactivate them upon request. It's a minor admin slowdown, separate from the actual functionality of the collaboration tools.

• Industry: Design

Amazing tool for arranging complex info

Reviewed on 05/02/2019

This is a foundational tool for us for capturing any postit note exercise or workshop session.

Pros

This tool allows teams to take the complicated, organically generated, unsorted data that can come out of brainstorming or workshops and arrange it into something meaningful. It creates a standard language for teams to express this info.

It's quick to learn and easy to use, and allows for the right type of expression for any info set.

Cons

Administrating a team could be done better. It's too easy to invite more team members than your plan pays for. This is because the button to share a mural to an email address (which adds a team member) is easier to get to than the link to share anonymously. Fortunately there is a 30 day grace period for these mistakes.

Animesh P.
  • Industry: Insurance

Mural is a must have if you are a product Manager/ designer

Reviewed on 03/08/2018

It’s a brilliant tool. There hasn’t been an experience with mural that has not gone well. Must have !

Pros

Mural is indeed collaborative ! The fact that you can see what the other person around the world is doing, without sharing screen, is amazing ! Mural is that digital whiteboard with free stickies where you could do anything ! And it comes with so many templates !!

Cons

We cannot talk via mural . I’d need another software or tool to do that! Imagine Mural + slack in one !

Deanna S.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Must Have

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Awesome experience! Will definitely keep using it. I wish I had known about it sooner.

Pros

Easy to use, especially after attending their free webinars. Game changer for remote meetings / presenting ideas / getting feedback from colleagues. Great for brainstorming and creating mock-ups.

Cons

A little awkward at first - takes some playing around on your own before being comfortable using it as a team.

• Industry: Consumer Electronics
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Powerful online visual collaboration tool

Reviewed on 16/04/2021

Mural is a helpful tool to support co-creation, workshops and design thinking sessions when working remotely. We used it more during lockdown in place of face-to-face sessions.

Pros

Relatively easy to use, with a rich feature set and several useful tools to collaborate visually. Interface is fully accessible via browser, which makes it very portable across platforms, and of course mobile apps are also available.

Cons

Not as streamlined or easy to learn as direct competitor Miro, so it requires some facilitated onboarding to new users in order to get the most from its features. Sometimes the web visualization gets stuck or shows blank boards where they should have content, but a quick page refresh generally fixes it.

Mark H.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Used for Free Trial

Great digital whiteboard and planning app

Reviewed on 02/04/2020

Trialled it for delivering workshops and training at a university.

Pros

Really easy to use and very powerful features with deep layers of functionality built in. Feels intuitive and powerful.

Cons

Not much against it from what I've seen so far - the licensing just isn't suitable for the application I would need it for.

Behind the times

Reviewed on 04/02/2021

This tool hasn’t aged well with time. There’s a lack of modernization and functionality otherwise found in competing software and at a lower cost.

Pros

Pretty easy to jump in and get collaborating, but the feature set is lagging behind many newer players to this space. Specifically Miro.

Cons

Very basic toolset. UI feels dated. The canvas is limiting when compared to other products that offer more of an infinite canvas.