Google Sheets Reviews

Google Sheets

4.7 (12,996)
Cloud-based spreadsheet and collaboration platform

(12,996)

Tanishq
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Take your reporting to the next level with Google Sheets

Reviewed on 14/09/2019

User friendly with good and exciting features supporting the requirements of today's day and age.

Pros

1. Simple and easy to understand with all the necessary tools available right in front of the eyes.
2. Uploading and downloading feature with multiple file format support.
3. Version and editing history with option to suggest edits.
4. Highly controllable in terms of sharing with email notifications.

Cons

I did not find any cons of this product.

Reasons for Choosing Google Sheets

The collaborative working environment on the cloud that Google Sheets offers.

Reasons for Switching to Google Sheets

1. Google Sheets is free. 2. It works on the cloud. 3. It provides collaborative working space and easy sharing
Andy
Andy
  • Industry: Human Resources

very good for being free

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

Google Sheets transformed the way I work collaboratively, moving much of my work from the classic spreadsheets to the free, collaborative online version of G-Sheets. But still, for convenience and ease of use, I have some of my spreadsheets in Excel (synchronized with Google Drive, but that functionality is for a separate review).

Pros

The application has several positive aspects, but the first to highlight is that it is free!
The comparison always arises between this app and Excel. Google Sheets is more limited than the latter, but it has enough functions to replace Microsoft in low-medium complexity tasks. Something that stands out with respect to the desktop versions of Excel is the possibility of sharing the document and working it between several people simultaneously remotely.

Cons

It does not carry the same functionalities or they are not implemented in the same way as in Excel. And let's face it, most of the people who use this application previously used Microsoft on its desktop version. Adapting to tasks other than the simplest requires some work. It is also more limited in terms of functionalities.

Paul

Google sheets is a flexible and powerful data analysis tool

Reviewed on 21/03/2024

Overall google sheets is an inexpensive but very powerful tool. Comparable with the more commercial spreadsheets tools out there

Pros

The ability to use pivot tables to summarise and analyse data

Cons

Not always the "prettiest" tool for presenting data to others. Sometimes looks a bit old fashioned

Craig
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Easy Tool for Analysis and Charts

Reviewed on 29/03/2020

Using Google Sheets has helped me manage my list of new and existing product skus for marketing optimization and analysis purposes. I have been able to dig deeper into why certain marketing campaigns or tactics perform better than the others for specific products, categories or customers. So, I can spend more money on tactics which improve my product conversions and ROI while reducing my spend on those tactics which are driving lower conversions and profits. I have been able to optimize my paid media spend and sku list with lower investments in software. So, my business has become more profitable.

Pros

I use Google Sheets tool to collect all item skus I sell on my e-commerce website. So, I can concatenate them as one single string and apply as a filter in Google Analytics product performance report. I then run the report in Google Analytics by applying segment of specific email or social campaign and export it in Google Sheets format to pull a visual trend on sales over time. This strategy helps me quickly analyze the impact of external campaigns so I can determine any new items sales and new customers. Additionally, I can easily share my analysis with my business partner, so he is also in the loop on our business ROI. I give him edit rights, so he can add his own comments or products data from the categories he is managing. We both love the fact that if our computers freeze or shut down for a reason, our data gets saved in cloud.

Cons

Google Sheets tool has limited charting or data visualization capabilities when compared to Microsoft Excel. For example: when I try to create a stacked column chart using Google Sheets, it doesn't look that professional or easy to read. The copy tab feature can also be improved. Currently, I can copy a specific tab from one sheet to the next but it includes additional text 'copy of' or something along with the original tab name. So, I have the delete that additional text every time I make a copy. Microsoft Excel doesn't include that additional text. Finally, converting an Excel file with multiple tabs into a Google Sheet is not that simple. It is not easy to convert a specific tab and the whole file has to be converted.

Reasons for Switching to Google Sheets

I chose Google Sheets over Microsoft Excel because it is cheaper to maintain, easy to save list of product skus and collaborate with my business partner and employees.
Jo
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Makes Collaboration Easy

Reviewed on 31/01/2024

Pros

Google Sheets is a powerful cloud-based tool that enables us to make the most of integrations with other software and collaborations between staff and volunteers.

Cons

Some functions are different between Sheets and Excel, leading to the occasional incompatibility when transferring files.

Catalina
  • Industry: Human Resources
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Best tool for everything at work

Reviewed on 20/03/2024

Pros

The easy-to-use platform, the connection with my teammates, that lives in the cloud.

Cons

Overall, I use it for every aspect at work. Until now, I haven't found any issue that I dislike.

Lyna

Google Sheets is the Best

Reviewed on 21/03/2024

Pros

Google sheets is a good way to collaborate and keep myself oriented.

Cons

Google Sheets has some issues with finding when people make comments on sheets and finding them.

Jesse
  • Industry: Media Production

Google Sheets is wonderful

Reviewed on 13/03/2024

Pros

Google Sheets opens quickly and is intuitive from start to finish. Any time I'm forced to open Apple Sheets or Excel, I always want to immediately close the program and go back to Google Sheets. And with the ease of how it's baked into my Google account, I use them for nearly everything. There's never a bad reason to make a spreadsheet.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any. It could be helpful if the formulas were explained more, but that's nothing a quick Google search can't fix.

Anna

Simple and Efficient

Reviewed on 11/03/2024

Pros

Collaboration capabilities, data traction and document history searching

Cons

Missing some advanced features compared to Excel

Cristina

Cris Sheets

Reviewed on 12/03/2024

I use it for a long time, as a support between devices

I use it for a long time, as a support between devices

Pros

Easy in any device, sharing information with colleges

Cons

Converting between other apps
screen harder to speciffy information

Varun

Excel? Nope. Use Google Sheets to create custom dashboards, and reporting systems

Reviewed on 02/08/2019

Overall we have gone from sharing a few sheets and collaborating on projects to creating a full blow mini ERP in the space of 2 years.

Once a day reports from our accounting SW are posted in to a dedicated Inputs sheet, and a series of over 30 sheets, inter linked, and divided bby team and role use these sheets on a hourly basis to create meaningful isnights, and formulate strategy.

Has been an extremely fulfilling experience, and we keep extending the use cases on a regular basis.

Pros

Easy to adapt if you are used to Excel
Concurrent editing / easy group collaboration
Always improving - big plus
Easy to create links between multiple sheets
Scripts can be used to extend functionality endlessly

Cons

Generally positive about the SW but could see a few key improvements:
Scripts should be shareable amongst sheets. scripts.google.com does host my scripts, but we need to add the scripts individually to each sheet. Can be very annoying if we have some custom formula defined acros multiple sheets that need editing.

Filter could be improved. Filters based on formatting.

Additional built in solutions for duplicates should be added.

Reasons for Switching to Google Sheets

Cost, and group usability. Inability to use it as a mini ERP.
Sean
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Google just makes everything so easy!

Reviewed on 07/09/2019

I have used Google Sheets in a variety of settings, both while a student in college, and in my professional career. Sheets has made it so easy to collaborate with coworkers across the nation, allowing everyone to input data and see changes real-time. I have used sheets to track monthly numbers across branches in different states, to fill out simplified monthly and yearly profit/loss statements, to look at yearly financial projections, to analyze sets of data, etc. Google Sheets has been an awesome tool!

Pros

Google sheets is the simple, efficient, shareable version of Microsoft Excel. It is so easy enter data, create lists, and collaborate with colleagues and classmates in real-time. The spreadsheets save to the google cloud automatically and are easily accessible in any location or editable with any device. No need to save the file to your computer or USB stick. On top of all that, the service is free!

Cons

While Google continues to update the software and add new features, the product only offers a fraction of the capability of Microsoft Excel. Those who grew up using Excel may experience a bit of a learning curve when using Google Sheets, and may be disappointed in the limited features.

Reasons for Switching to Google Sheets

For my current business, Google Sheets just made more sense. I liked that Sheets was automatically saved to the Google Cloud so that I could access it anywhere. I also like that the file was easily shareable, and basic and easy to use. I will still use Excel when doing more serious data analysis as I do not believe that Sheets has the same capabilities.
Sander

The perfect answer for collaboration on data

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

This app made me a data geek. I love it for its ease of use, wide online documentation and free version to start and learn.

Pros

The best feature that has made this product indispensable to me to this day, is the possiblity to link 2 cloud based sheets and cherry pick what data is visible to what team member. Something that is not possible with any alternative.

Cons

The one feature that is an eyesore for me is that it is not possible to array a concatenation of text.

Reasons for Choosing Google Sheets

At first becasue of cost. RIght now, i use both packages side by side. both for their respective uses.

Reasons for Switching to Google Sheets

It is cloudbased in its core which made it possible to link two sheets and transmit data between them automatically or based on rules or conditional formatting.
Gia
  • Industry: Entertainment

Forget Excel

Reviewed on 31/12/2019

Love it! I really love how groups of people can edit the Sheets, and that Google tracks all the changes so you can go back and see who added what.

Pros

This FREE software has become my go-to for all things spreadsheet. I do my billing on here, track my expenses, and run out possible financial scenarios (planning to buy a house... takes a lot of planning!).

Cons

Like any software, not everything translates perfectly, but I did just import all my dad's contacts from Quickbooks to a CSV file, and Google Sheets handled everything exactly right. That's not always the case, but that's the hazard of any program. I still don't understand the keyboard shortcuts like I did in the old days of Excel, but the online tutorials you can search for will pretty much solve whatever action you need to make in Sheets.

Numbers

Reasons for Choosing Google Sheets

I will never use Numbers or Excel again. I can access Sheets on all my devices, and it has group editing. The best!

Reasons for Switching to Google Sheets

I'm a Mac user, so I like to stay in the Apple family, but Google is superior in many ways, especially for the functionality of Office Suite, which I used in the old days.

Google Sheets offers the flexibility of working with spreadsheets in a collaborative environmen...

Reviewed on 12/01/2020

Google Sheet is my go to tool when having to work collaboratively with sheets. The tool is too easy to work with, share, order nicely and present some graphs not to use it!

Pros

Google Sheet can be considered the web version of another very popular tool for working with numbers and spreadsheets while also having easy integration with the other Google products. The superiority, at least for me, in Google Sheets comes from the way collaboration was integrated into this tool. Spreadsheets can be shared, with view or edit options, and others can contribute in real time to the work, while making it obvious who is working on the sheet at a given moment. It comes with a versioning system which can be really helpful in when trying to catch up to the changes or see who did changes to your work.
The fact that Google Sheet is virtually accessible everywhere there's an internet connection, while also being a free product, makes it the easy choice for me when doing tasks that require collaboration and can be made within a spreadsheet.

Cons

There are a few shortcomings to Google Sheets that, I would say, would not necessarily be very visible to a day to day user. For example, when working with a very large set of data, the application tends to slow down a bit - for me, it started to bother when I had around 80.000-100.000 rows and around 15 columns, most with data filled in.
It also doesn't offer the same number of formulas as other tools do, but in my experience Google Sheet is flexible enough to resolve this problem with a bit of clever usage various combinations of the features it does offer.

Heather

Excellent Way to Share and Co-Create Numerical Data

Reviewed on 02/04/2020

I use Google Sheets to coordinate with all teachers to schedule students' study hall schedules, how much is left in our grant's purchase orders, inventory, etc.

Pros

I love that the financial secretary and I can both be on the same sheet to coordinate purchase orders. It makes it so much easier than having to coordinate our schedules to be in the same room to work on this type of task.

Cons

The cons are on all me. I need to learn some the functions better. I understand there are a multitude of ways for me to learn these functions. I just haven't made the time to do so.

Reasons for Choosing Google Sheets

I can work on Google sheets from any computer and its free!

Reasons for Switching to Google Sheets

Can be used on any computer that I sign into. I work in multiple locations with multiple computers and share the data with multiple users. Sometimes I even work with people across the nation on one sheet.
Arthur

Spreadsheets Cascading Faster & Greater Functionality

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

My overall experience with Google Sheets began tentatively. I was using a One-Write Accounting System, and then switched to MYOB. While MYOB was more feature rich, what the CPA requires from us is more than met by Google Sheets' features. Over time, it's been possible to switch our entire disbursements into Google Sheets - something I can then simply 'share' with my CPA. A breeze!

Pros

What I like most about Google Sheets is its ongoing development. Already easy to use, Google Sheets continuously upgrades functionality. I've been in construction for over 50 years, beginning with accounting books with double entry and lots of tedium about them. Now, it's possible to simply paste a statement from either the bank or the credit card company directly into the disbursement spreadsheet that I've built using Google Sheets. Each month I spend less than an hour at accounting work that formerly took endless amounts of detailed work. Excellent!

Cons

I'm an Apple Computer user, and the unfriendliness between Apple & Google sheets is sometimes annoying. Nevertheless, workarounds are easily enough achieved...

Erin
  • Industry: Higher Education

Google Sheets - Live Data!

Reviewed on 15/12/2020

I absolutely love it, and would be lost in the classroom with it! My husband, in his field, uses it often as well, AND we use Google Sheets at home for different reasons. The live updates and the easy sharing between the Drive makes it VERY easy for us to both access the info separately and see the most accurate copy of it.

Pros

The 'live' part and the collaboration is great! The integration with Google Forms is used daily to analyze my students' results, and I can easily add calculations of averages, standard deviation, etc. I also frequently use conditional formatting to help me visually see the data I'm collecting.

Cons

With a competitive program, if I am missing a parenthesis on the end, it will still assume what I meant and calculate it. I know this is small, but can be annoying at times. The competitor also show me the way a formula should be written, to make sure I am entering it in right.

Reasons for Choosing Google Sheets

The live updates and the integration with Google Forms.

Reasons for Switching to Google Sheets

The live updates and the integration with Google Forms.
Nick
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Easy to use alternative to Excel

Reviewed on 29/07/2022

We use it for a lot more than crunching numbers. For instance, we have 300+ items we hire out, and we use Sheets to keep track of who has them booked and when (like a Gantt chart). The fact that we can all work on this sheet simultaneously makes Sheets work when an offline version of Excel wouldn't. That said, Office 365 would allow a similar experience.

Pros

The collaboration options within a team are game changing. No more save, attach and send - everyone's aligned on the same sheet at the same time. You don't realise how much work and confusion this elimiates until you switch to it.

Cons

Its strength is its weakness. It's quite a cut down alternative to Excel, which makes it easy to use, but if you want to do something advanced or nuanced then you may find the feature you want is missing. Luckily you can export to Excel and carry on there if you want to. We very rarely have to.

Collaboration also requires the other users to have Google accounts. Sometimes you just want to share with someone when you don't know if they have one or not. And they may have one, but not using the email address you assumed they did, which means they have to make an access request. It could be easier.

Reasons for Choosing Google Sheets

Collaboration features. We also signed up for Google Workspace.

Reasons for Switching to Google Sheets

The whole Google Workspace ecosystem worked well for us as a company. Sheets comes with it.
Kyle

Google Sheets does everything and then some!

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

I absolutely love using Sheets, conditional formatting and using templates is super easy and intuitive, that I find myself using Sheets more than Docs

Pros

We all know spreadsheets/workbooks are super powerful business tools. Whereas Excel makes it hard to find features and learn to use, my teammates and I were writing formulas and processing calculations in mere minutes. Sheets is way more intuitive than Excel.

Cons

There's nothing that I hate about Sheets

Reasons for Choosing Google Sheets

Excel is too clunky and difficult to use. Plus, Excel is harder on the eyes.

Reasons for Switching to Google Sheets

We chose not to stick with Excel because Sheets generated a for more positive user experience
Matt

Great alternative to Excel for spreadsheet collaboration

Reviewed on 31/10/2023

Love this tool - use it daily for a range of applications. Really couldn't think of life without Google Sheets!

Pros

The ability to share it with other team members is excellent. I love the way it can be styled, and the ability to add Google's "chips" to it for extra context is nice too.

Being Cloud first means it's easy to access from anywhere, and the mobile interface is usable too.

Cons

Working with functions and conditional formatting can be a little cumbersome - they do the job just fine but the UI is not as intuitive as it could be

LibreOffice

Reasons for Choosing Google Sheets

Google Sheets is a free product, is very easy to use, and being cloud based it means that access is seemless across a range of devices.

Reasons for Switching to Google Sheets

LibreOffice is a nice tool, and great value however I really needed an option that was cloud based and easy to collaborate with. LibreOffice is a great desktop tool, but misses these options
Shayne
Shayne

An amazing Cloud Based spreadsheet

Reviewed on 22/02/2019

I use Google Sheets for various business functions including inventory management, budgetary analysis and various other processes. I may not be able to do as much of the 'heavy lifting' as other spreadsheets out there, but it certainly gets the job done. The best part is, it's free!

Pros

1) Accessibility: You can access Google Sheets from any device at any time and continue working on a spreadsheet. This is because Google Sheets is cloud-based and your changes are saved in real-time.

2) Adaptability: If you've used MS Excel in the past, then using Google Sheets will be a piece of cake for you.

3) Document Sharing: Google Sheets makes it possible for you to share your spreadsheet with other people so that they can review your document in real-time.

4) Sharing Security Options: Not only is the spreadsheet sharing option an amazing feature, it also allows you to apply certain restrictions to the people you share your document with. For example, you may want someone to help you compose the document. You can give that person editing rights, as opposed to the 'view only' option where he can only view your spreadsheet without editing it.

Cons

1) Internet Connectivity: Since Google Sheets is cloud-based, you're going to have to stay connected to the internet. Although you have the 'edit offline' option, you're going to have to be connected to an internet connection in case you've shared your work with someone and they are referring to it on a regular basis.

2) Confusion: There could be a lot of confusion when two people are working on the spreadsheet at the same time. However, if you're careful enough, then Google Sheets highlights the cell that each user is currently editing with different colours.

Jannatin
  • Industry: Chemicals
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

One of their Finest Tools

Reviewed on 25/11/2019

I love Google Sheets because I can access it from anywhere and it is compatible to open any sheets made through with Excel. So you have a lot to work with and since it is properly connected with the internet and Google over all you can have more features implemented to your sheets that Excel would not be able to offer to you. Google Sheets over all is one of the best tools to help you make your data sheets and whatever else you may need a Spread Sheet for!

Pros

There are many things about Google Sheets that makes it incredible to use. Google Sheets implements the use of Google and has integrated google translate into the sheets mechanism. So not only do you have your basic formula letter values you get to enter you can also create quick translations into a sheet. By this I mean you can have a column of English and for example, the Japanese quickly translated into another column. This makes the whole system so much quicker and easier to use.

Now Google Sheets already does the basics of what Excel would have, but with MORE. Google Sheets also can be used to make worksheets, data and charts, graphs and more. The only thing is it sometimes takes a lot of trial and error to get used to the commands and everything else that is needed to get the hang of it you just need some practice and guidance since there is so much that you can do with it.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to get a hang of google sheets because at times it feels as though there is a little too much going on and at times it is difficult to get a good print out because the sheets would not come into the framing properly. So there really isn't a good boundary system with the Google Sheets system. Also, it is all connected to the cloud and internet, but it can be hard to have a proper save of your Sheets if anything with the internet goes wrong.

luke

The Next Best Thing to Excel-Plus It's Free

Reviewed on 28/07/2020

My overall experience with Google Sheets has been overwhelmingly positive. I was so tired of paying hundreds of dollars for the MS Suite and feeling like I was trapped with their product. Now, Google Sheets is my go to software. I love that it's on the cloud and I can access my data anywhere. If you are looking for a free alternative to MS Excel than give Google Sheets a try. And don't worry, they don't skimp you on features. I think, like me, you'll be pleasantly surprised with the features that are provided.

Pros

What I like most about Google Sheets is that it shares most of the same features as MS Excel. However, the best part is that it's free. I also like how easy it was to set up and use. It's also very easy to collaborate and share files with my team. I use Google Sheets to track sales calls, leads, expenses, etc. Another added benefit is that it's all on the cloud. So accessing files is a breeze. This makes more sense for me to use than other alternative. Furthermore, Sheets can do almost everything that Excel can. In fact, I don't plan on using Excel anymore. With all of the features that Google keeps rolling out, it's only a matter of time before they catch up to Excel.

Cons

Truthfully, there really isn't anything that I don't like about Google Sheets. I mean, what is there to complain about, it's free. Google is always rolling out new features so the longer you use it the better it will get. If I had to pick out one thing, it would be the formatting. I ran into some trouble formatting and duplicates. However, I was able to find a solution on YouTube. The reality is that it will likely take you some time to get used to the functionality, but that's to be expected. Once you take the time to learn the basics the rest comes easy.

Letlet

How Google Sheets is Changing the Way Businesses Manage Data - Our Experience

Reviewed on 21/02/2023

We were able to solve a number of important business issues for our company using Google Sheets.First, we've been able to efficiently manage and collaborate on a lot of data from a variety of sources by using Google Sheets. We were able to easily share and work on the same document with multiple stakeholders thanks to the platform's real-time collaboration features, which saved us time and improved team communication.Second, Google Sheets has made it simple for us to create custom reports. We have been able to quickly analyze and present insights to the management team of our client, assisting them in making decisions based on information and driving business growth, thanks to our customizable templates and the capacity to import data from external sources.Our overall usage of Google Sheets has been extremely positive. We have been able to streamline the data management process for our client by making use of this powerful tool. This has saved us time and made it easier for us to work with teams both internal and external.

Pros

I've been using Google Sheets to manage and analyze the data for my team as a retail sales and marketing staff, and I have to say that it has changed the game for us. Our teamwork has never been more effective thanks to Google Sheets' outstanding collaboration features.We recently introduced a new product line, for instance, and our team was in charge of monitoring how well it sold through various channels. We were able to create a shared document that each team member could access and update in real time using Google Sheets. We were able to monitor trends in sales and make quick adjustments to our marketing strategies as a result, which helped us get the most out of the new product line's revenue potential.

Cons

The platform has some shortcomings that can be frustrating at times.One of the drawbacks of using Google Sheets is the lack of advanced data manipulation capabilities. For instance, it may be difficult to locate the necessary features within the platform when working with very large datasets or when carrying out intricate calculations. This has occasionally necessitated the use of additional tools or manual calculations, both of which can be time-consuming and prone to error.The reliance on internet connectivity is yet another major issue with Google Sheets. Although the cloud-based platform enables device-to-device collaboration and accessibility, connectivity issues can be significant. I've encountered times when I couldn't get to my bookkeeping sheets or cause changes when I expected to on account of slow or lost web availability.