MindMeister

Cloud-based mind mapping tool for organizations of all sizes

4.3/5
4.5/5
4.7/5
4.3/5

202 Software options

A complete mindmapping solution for all of us who prefer visual organization of information

Reviewed on 01/10/2019

As a predominantly visual person I need to see "the whole picture" when designing a new project and I do a lot of mindmapping on almost daily basis. I have the master mindmap with the key projects I am working on that branch out to smaller activities, tasks and deliverables and most of my notes related to the development are within the mindmap. As MindMeister offers a good number of icons to tag the individual branches I could clearly keep track of whole scope of the project and use the same space to add any ideas/notes I might have at the moment. Since you can easily collapse all the branches you are not using at the moment it really gives clarity and at the same time it helps me not to lose track of some processes or smaller deliverables that I could easily overlook in the task manager software I use. It also offers the integration with Meister Task so you can easily turn any branch into a task with deadlines and all. For me personally, the best use of mind maps is for brainstorming and planning stages of a project and I usually start by creating a map myself, adding ideas, processes and deliverables into it, and then sharing it with my colleagues at a meeting, which is usually followed by our joint work on the same map if the idea is chosen for the development. The app itself allows for all these, it has good visual interface, so after finding it and using it for a month I did not search for any other alternatives anymore.

Pros

As I use mind maps a lot I love to be able to have them available everywhere I go and to share them with my colleagues so we can work together on the same mind map. It offers everything mindmapping software should offer and it does it online (or through mobile app) so the only thing I need is the internet connection. The maps look very nice, there is a good number of templates and options (both map structures and design templates) so if you need a good mindmapping software I that is platform independent I could really recommend this one as I tried a couple of others before finding it. When you share the mind map with colleagues things get really great, especially during the ideation and planning stage of a project as everyone can add branches, expand on ideas which really helps make meetings more effective later.

Cons

This app also has the presentation mode that I have not found so useful. I see how it might be great to be able to present your mindmap to others instead of boring them with a slideshow, but I did not use it, so this would be the only thing that I am not really 'digging 100%. In essence, there is nothing bad about the app that I would highlight as it does its core function (mindmapping) really well. Of course, the free version has some limitations in terms of number of maps you can make and the export formats, but even the basic version can be enough for most users' needs.

Brennan P.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Helped me sort my brain's information overflow.

Reviewed on 03/09/2021

Imagine you think like a computer, so organizing tasking into the base components and carrying them out is a great way to work, but what happens when your brain doesn't have multithreading capabilities and limited RAM? You start to lose things. Tasks, ideas, goals can get lost in the shuffle. With a well put together mind map you can keep running your brain the way it works while keeping organized track of all of your different projects on your mind map! It's truly fantastic. I recently used the service to map what I do in my current role at my job and it allowed me to feel confident in all of the places I have knowledge that I would have otherwise not remembered on the spot while writing my resume, cover letters, or even talking about myself. A wonderful way to keep your thoughts in order, and if you keep your maps to a specific goal, you can keep unwanted information from filling up your limited thought space!

Pros

The ability to really pour out the tiniest detail of your brain / task into a coherent way.

Cons

If you get expansive with your ideas, it can be hard to see with the limited font sizes and whatnot, but with a simple click and scroll wheel you can fix that problem...

Response from Meister

Dear Brennan, thank you so much for reaching out and taking the time to write such an extensive review! We're thrilled to hear that MindMeister has been such a useful tool for bringing organization to your thoughts!

I feel the same way... visualizing my responsibilities via interconnected nodes is a great way to make my work and personal life manageable.

We'd love to hear more from you and learn how you use MindMeister... Feel free to reach out to us on Twitter at @MindMeister. And be sure to check out the Meister Academy at training.mindmeister.com.

Thanks again!
-Andrew

• Used for Free Trial

Best tool for begin of everywhere!

Reviewed on 08/04/2020

Pros

Think widely, Sum in one mind-page.
Then we can have a few gaps in our team.
So easy to gathering think parts of teammates.

Cons

I think it will be more powerful to have functions that suggest or reply an element (like Google Docs, Sheets, Slides).

Rahul A.

The most useful tool for all my strategies & planning

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Pros

Often when we are working on some projects, business ideas or anything that requires planning, we always look out for some tool to organize and arrange our raw ideas. There are many tools available but the mindmaps by MindMeister seems to be the perfect fit. The concept of mindmaps with connections make the task easy and effective. It saves me a lot of time.

Cons

A few of my colleagues use mind node on mac and they say that the UI is better with a little more features. So, I expect MindMeister to include a little more features like connection customization and a little improvement in UI just like in MilaNote.

Rob M.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Great for small business

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

I use this to be able to create very nonlinear "big picture" summaries, and then I create other functional maps and tasks when its time to drill down into the details. I like how its very nonlinear and very fluid. Its easy to move things around and edit them. I first used MindMeister back in 2007. Its still a great product.

Pros

I like mind mapping and I like the design, form and feel to MindMeister. Its great that it now has task list functionality as well. Its fast and easy.

Cons

It could use a Gantt chart, as that's the only thing other people in my company need/want.

Maggie L.

Finally: A digital, visual, FUN way to effectively organize and boost productivity

Reviewed on 21/02/2020

I'm a visual learner with lots of ideas, to-dos, distractions, and good intentions. On my own, I've tried writing lists, making my own digital map, using phone productivity apps, using tons of post-it notes, etc. to organize my jobs, projects, and seemingly endless daily tasks. I slowly admitted my own frustrations with not being able to effectively organize what I needed to do. Using MindMeister is the first time I actually see all of what I need to do in front of me, and it's color coded, neat, effective, and it oddly inspires me to work more. I'm a big fan of the templates and customization options. I use the Eisenhower Matrix template and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's actually improving my time management issues.

Pros

Free "Basic" plan is great for what I need now; Educator discount is available for if/when I choose to upgrade; free themes with many options for customization (I love color-coding); ability to merge MindMeister with MeisterTasks; Templates with tips on how to use them; Image generator based on Map title; Very user-friendly

Cons

The "Use" and "Preview" Template buttons are a little too close together. More than 3 font sizes would be nice.

Michael H.
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

A perfect tool for supporting task tracking and ongoing discussions in complex projects.

Reviewed on 09/06/2020

I am using MindMeister to keep track on complex projects and to use it during status meeting for review of the current status and to capture all the brainstorming thats going on during those sessions. I find it very usefull to get a grip on all issues involved. I am using it activley in most of my discussions because it provides a graphicall depiction of the thought process that helps everybody involved to "get the big picture" while capturing and following up on the details as well.

Pros

MindMeister is easy to use and offers all the functionality needed to get your ideas organized. It perfectly supports tracking of tasks and help covering additional ideas coming up along the way during your daily project life.

Cons

Until now I found most of the features I desired. I will update you once I found something missing.

Stefan H.
  • Industry: Research
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Just started and I love it!

Reviewed on 28/02/2020

I honestly just started. I am studying Cognitive Science and I see mapping the things as a great, effective and useful thing to do. Its almost like a quasi-language of mind. I really like the simplicity of the platform design and all different features. I miss the things which I have described in "Cons" part of the review. But I see all of this as highly professional. Possibility to write this review to you and the lean design of this whole process is really good.

Pros

Creating MindMaps, or any kind of maps.
- shareable
- easy to store
- easy to edit
- simple solution for visualizing ideas
- almost as flexible as having a marker in my hand
- ability to reference ideas to other materials, content and other people

Cons

The "Get started" manual had some bugs, and I couldn't get further in the instructions.
Too small icons. I had a problem to see them, I miss the ability to enlarge them or readjust them according to my needs.
The flexibility of the map could is good, but could be better. 3D could be too complicated, but what about making a layers? Each layer could be for example partly transparent.

Sven H.
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Easiest Mindmap-Tool I've come across

Reviewed on 25/08/2019

There might be features I'm not aware of it that I am not using. That just doesn't matter to me because I wanted an intuitive, easy to use Mindmap-Tool and that is exactly what Mindmeister delivers. If you need a mindmap to organize a new project, this might just be for you.

Pros

Cross-platform functionality. I like it on Windows but was surprised to realize that it's even more intuitive on Android.
The referral program for free users is standard to great. But the affiliate program for Business users is one of the best and fairest programs I've come across to date.

Cons

I think 3 free mindmaps is cutting it a little close. 5 would probably get more people to give it a try.

Maria D.

Simply and nothing superfluous

Reviewed on 31/01/2018

Pros

Endless tree and flexibility, ease of construction, links to other diagrams, the ability to include in the diagrams video, sound, graphics. Rich features on the free account. Integration with MeisterTask. You can set a language other than English.

Cons

For the time of using the application (about a year), there have not been any shortcomings yet. Everything works perfectly.

• Industry: Online Media

Outstanding product but bad support

Reviewed on 26/02/2021

Pros

Great to quickly get an overview of complex projects. This tool is the best out there.

Cons

Support is a big problem. I had to fix a subscription issue but I am waiting for a response now for more than 6 days. I would really opt for a chat button like all major companies have. IF this is not fixed soon I will start using an alternative. Support is important to me.

MindManager and Miro
Moiz R.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

MindMiester a fantastic tool for Mindmapping

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

I use it for customer task tracking, employee tracking and project tracking. It is an all in one tool, works perfect.

Pros

I love the ease of use, seamless interface. It supports extremely large mindmaps which are the kinds I eventually end up making. My productivity and project tracking both have improved using MindMeister.

Cons

Actually it has sufficed my purpose so far. I am using free version, so can't complain

Fabio C.
  • Used for 2+ years

The use of MindMeister

Reviewed on 17/01/2020

Pros

One of the most important things to me about MindMeister is the ability to create an impactful look while thinking and creating. Both at the same time. When you see it is ready.

Cons

What I least liked was the fact that MindMeister has no translation into Portuguese BR

• Industry: Design

MindMeister - Mind Mapping Tool

Reviewed on 19/02/2020

Exceptional. I highly recommend it.

Pros

Very easy and intuitive to create mind maps - perfect for organizing your thoughts.
Very friendly and fast.
Clean and Sleek design.
Works well and syncs across both the mobile app and browser via PC.
You can start a free subscription while limited to three mind maps in total. If you want more you need to purchase a subscription. The paid subscription is not a high cost currently at $5 per month and then you are pretty much limitless. The good thing is that sometimes I find myself not using the product for over a month so I just pause my subscription and go back to free and the good thing about that is that all my mind maps are still in the platform but I have access to just 3. If ever I want to jot new mind maps and feel active again then I can just renew my subscription. So that's a really flexible way to use the product.

Cons

Honestly, I cannot think of anything... I am really satisfied with it.

Peter B.

Clear Your Mind

Reviewed on 23/08/2021

Pros

I use Mindmeister to remove the congestion out of my mind and set it up in a clear and understandable (for me) way. Very useful.

Cons

Hven't used it enough. My needs are very basic.

Response from Meister

Hi Peter! Thanks so much for reaching out. It's great to hear that MindMeister has been helpful in bringing some order to your creative thoughts. I also find that mind mapping is useful for structuring my disjointed ideas :D

If you're interested in learning more, be sure to visit the MindMeister Academy at mindmeister.com/training

Thanks again!
-Andrew

Michael K.

MindMeister

Reviewed on 22/03/2021

Great tool, will continue to use it. Would like to move to a subscription to use its full potential, but struggle to accept the price point (just yet).

Pros

MindMeister really is an excellent tool to map whatever is going through your mind. It's really easy to use, mostly intuitive and it can handle and display complex maps. Love it.

Cons

It still is mostly about price - I am happy to pay for MindMeister, but nothing close to what I would pay for a whole Microsoft Office package (no offence...).

Yogesh B.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Mind blowing Mind map tool

Reviewed on 09/01/2020

I am preparing complete strategy to launch my startup while collecting all ideas at a glance. Easy to share with my team.

Pros

Ease of use and simplified UI helping me to put all ideas in easy to manage way

Cons

Not enough data to comment at the moment, may be will share later

• Industry: Management Consulting

Great tool

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

This is a great tool that will enable you to use it the same way you did on paper. It also has a very cool feature of presentation, which allows for the gradual opening of the mind map. This can be quite important if your mind map is loaded with information, looks scary to someone seeing it for the first time, and you want to make sure that the audience is introduced into its contents the way you want them to be (without getting the whole map at once or reading ahead, without listening to you!). This mode also works in email sharing.

Pros

Presentation mode. Enables comprehensive sharing with the team.

Cons

Limitations in presentation mode. Not all branches that you type in are visible in presentation mode, some of them remain "gray". Not sure if this is in the demo version only...?

Chett G.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Solid for sure

Reviewed on 06/05/2020

I am working on building out a proactive network for our company to map the 20,000 emerging leaders we know in the VC startup world. There are Managers, Directors, Heads of, and VPs at every layer and we want to structure things by industry. We always go company first. The problem is that nothing layouts out the connections the way we know them. I am creating the framework for our database for the future.

Pros

The functionality and flow is great. I loved the walk through of the product with the different segments provided.

Cons

The only issues was when I connected MeisterTasker and Mind Meister it took me to a 404 notification instead of back to the product.

Janet D.

Couldn't plan without it!

Reviewed on 26/03/2021

Excellent.

Pros

I've used Mindmeister for years at various jobs and also at home. I'm a visual person, so I need to sketch things out. But for anyone the ability to map websites or have a visual project map it is the best! At work I pay for the extra features, which are well worth it.

Cons

I wish that there could be more than one central axis point.

Kirsten B.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Brilliant

Reviewed on 02/03/2021

I really enjoyed using the program. I looked and googled so many different mind map programs. They were inadequate. They made you pay upfront as well. Mindmiester provided a month trial. I will definitely recommend Mindmeister to all my colleagues and specialists in the hospital I work.

Pros

I found this software so easy to use and you can create the most incredible mindmaps. I love all the wonderful additions where you can incorporate costings, web links and notes. Just brilliant.

Cons

I could find any faults with this programme.

Peter V.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Good software, pity that you get bugged by a pop for a review by Capterra

Reviewed on 21/01/2020

Pros

Ease of use. Great design...................

Cons

The fact that if I choose not to fill in a review I get a pop-up every time I start Mindmeister. I don't do reviews and find it annoying that I need to close the pop-up when I open mindmeister.

Olena S.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Easy to use - everything in one place

Reviewed on 11/01/2020

I'm using it to plan my life and create an overall map of the spheres that I handle. I also recommend it to my students as a tool for summaries of books and classes.

Pros

I like that this software lets me make a system out of anything and to use it together with Meister Task, which makes the understanding of the project easier.

Cons

Not always easy to find where to open the editing grid on the phone, It took me some time to understand how to add another unit to a list on the mobile app.

• Industry: Government Administration

This mind mapping tool is not only great for mapping out ideas but also to document processes.

Reviewed on 13/02/2018

Project planning and task assigning and tracking

Pros

Ease of use and flexibility to design whatever it is you require and it is also perfect to convert ideas into actions.

Cons

layout is one directional it would be great to change the layout to free flowing for ultimate layout

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

The best app for creating beautiful mind maps

Reviewed on 22/01/2019

With MindMeister app installed on my Android, I have an effective way to collect and save ideas.

Pros

I think Mindmeister is a must have tool in modern business world. I like Mindmeister because it is a universal tool for different tasks, including project planning, book summaries, and presentations. Mindmeister is also an essential part of every brainstorm of our team.

Cons

Both web version and Android app are good. There is nothing I dislike