Runecast Analyzer

Basim A.
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

The best in its league

Reviewed on 26/06/2020

Pros

RuneCast made our life so easy. It look a job of days and turned it into minutes. Not only that, we had to ready each and every best practice document for each release and product (vSphere, vCenter, Horizon), RuneCase made it all in one. It also helped us to verify the compliance of our drivers with the release we use of ESXi as this use to be a manual process too.
so easy to deploy... its OVF, assign IP and you are ready to go... so so so simple
What I also love about it is that they keep on adding features without asking the customers to pay more or bring up a new license... The best value for money you will ever see in todays products.

Cons

What I would like to see in RuneCast is that... Customers should be able to define their own baselines and it should compare your installation against it... currently it has built-in (vmware best practices, CIS, etc...), where what I see it should allow us to customize and run the analysis against our settings and then print it in a report format ... this will help us to showcase our compliance to audit team

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thank you for your review and ideas!

Antonin S.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Tried last year

Reviewed on 08/07/2020

Pros

Easy integration and installation, everything OK.

Cons

Well hard to say, its almost 2 years, but maybe price?

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for your review of an older version of Runecast Analyzer. Try our latest release, as we've introduced way more capabilities in the last two years!

Henderson A.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Gave me a quick visual of my entire VMware environment and all the possible issues that existed

Reviewed on 22/05/2018

This product has save time in remediation as well has helped me better understand some of my initial configuration flaws.

Pros

The fact that I can see all the issues and potential issues that exist is fantastic, but to be given a direct path for remediation has same me hours of time.

Cons

To be honest, I haven't found anything that I didn't like about it. It has don't everything I needed.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for the great review, Henderson! We are happy Runecast saves you time and helps you understand configuration flaws.
We appreciate you putting your trust in us for years now!

Maurizio S.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great tool

Reviewed on 08/07/2020

Pros

Ease of use and frequent updates. And very aeasy to set up, too.

Cons

Not so easy to override an alert. Nothing else.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for your feedback! We will pass it along to our development team.

Alexis D.

Easy Ride

Reviewed on 16/05/2018

It has identified issues and bugs that i had no idea about

Pros

Its like have a Vmware Technician 24/7 auditing you Vmware Environment, its absolutely great !!!!

Cons

No Alerting, if wanted alerts from logs. Hope they add these feature to a future release

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thank you, Alexis, for the awesome feedback!

Regarding Alerting - apart from the email report that's currently part of the product, we are working on more sophisticated alerting.

• Used for 6-12 months

Overall experience was really nice. Deployment and configuration was just few clicks.

Reviewed on 18/05/2018

Pros

The most important thing is ease of use and configuration. Recent release of vCenter plug-in made the life more easier. Routine updates and offline repository usage is one of the other important thing and it helps to maintain a more secure environment without exposing the internal network to the internet and while analyzing the security risks and best practices.

Cons

To be honest, I have nothing in mind to say bad about this and overall experience was really nice so far.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for a great review!

We do release regular updates to make sure you are always on top of the latest recorded issues and best practices. We are happy we could make your life easier.

Michael S.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Great tool to discover hidden issues within virtual infrastructure. Timesaver

Reviewed on 18/05/2018

I was able to detect issues that I wasn't aware of.

Pros

simple deployment
simple configuration
simple update process
offline update possible
good visualization of issues

Cons

no defined way to contact support. I did it via Twitter and then I got excellent support. They're should be a contact form on the website or within Runecast to open a ticket.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for the great feedback, Michael!

There was a temporary maintenance on the website, but the chat support option is now back on the lower right corner of the page.

Kazuhiro I.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Excellent software which complements the lack of VMware's management software.

Reviewed on 22/05/2018

Reduced the risk of system down and saved lots of time for trouble shootings.

Pros

Runecast Analyzer always saves my time to resarch KB and potential problems. And also, it saves me from PSOD before it happens.

Cons

I'm OK but language localization could boost the sales in non-English speaking countries like Japan.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thank you, Igarashi-san, for the great feedback!

We value our Japanese users and we consider localizing the main dashboard as a start.

Stjepan V.

Great tool

Reviewed on 26/06/2020

Proactive warring for compatibility and bugs between hw, sw ... and in future possibly firmware.

Pros

Great KB DB and ease of use. I like integration in monitoring tab in vCenter WebGUI.

Cons

More templates for home dashboard. Option to acknowledge some known issues on global level (Datcenter) vCenter level.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for your feedback! We really appreciate it.

Gilles M.

Simple platform checker

Reviewed on 17/05/2018

Pros

Easy to deploy and easy to use, always up to date.
Very light.
It's all i wanted from this kind of tool

Cons

I didn't find for the moment something i don't like. It's a good sign no ? ;)
I'm am not using it enough for the moment.

Response from Runecast Solutions

We love keeping things simple, Gilles - thank you for the kind review!

Mike E.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Love It!

Reviewed on 18/05/2018

Visibility into my environment and a better way of troubleshooting

Pros

It found issues I never knew I had. I also was able to quickly see the results of the logs without having to upload a file to VMware and wait for a tech to get back to me

Cons

It found issues I never knew I had... Which means I actually had things to look into and fix. Some issues could be ignored but at least I knew they were there now!

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thank you for loving Runecast, Mike! We love your feedback!

Yogendra S.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

It is great!!

Pros

While patching or upgrade to new version you can easily see the compatibility of firmware /drivers both hardware and software.
Helps to prevent PSOD by giving the prior suggestions.

Cons

A complete upgrade matrix for vSphere . by checking all the product company is using.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for your review!!!

Impressive and valuable tool

Reviewed on 16/05/2018

It helps to mature and secure the vsphere environment

Pros

I'm impressed by the easy installation in my environment with dozens of remote clusters. It runs very smooth and the first results come in before I can even finish my coffee. It finds all kind configuration issues and gives advise how to fix or improve. Currently testing with the trail version, but hope to switch to the full version soon.

Cons

The version I use is not creating a trend line for the security score or index and that is useful for my reports. I got from support that it is on the roadmap for a future release.

Response from Runecast Solutions

And we are impressed by your review - thank you!

We are working hard on releasing the historical data report functionality very soon!

Oleg F.
  • Industry: Railroad Manufacture
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Really nice software which works fast, easy to maintain, good support

Reviewed on 16/05/2018

Pros

Nice software which allows to monitor vulnerabilities and bugs and fix them. It also has features of monitoring and analyzing logs which shows only information you need to know(errors, fails) and groups them.

Cons

I would like to see more information about logs and their relation and impact on system together with KA and BP and maybe history of fixing bugs graph would looks good

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for the great feedback, Oleg!
We are working hard on the historical graph and it is to be released very soon!

Austen S.

Evaluated this product within test and production environments

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

Pros

It is everything the VMware Health Analyzer tried to be and much more.
The comprehensive coverage of applicable KB articles, DISA STIG and best practises summarised across infrastructure qualities makes reporting current states effortless.

Also, from a security perspective, the offline capability is priceless.

Cons

I wish the product had been around years ago.
Not much else I can really say about what I don't like about it.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for the awesome review, Austen!

Troy S.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Excellent all around

Reviewed on 23/05/2018

It's made all our administrators into VMware "experts"!

Pros

Provides a deep dive into every aspect of my VMware setup, giving me excellent insights into security, logs, recommendations, hardening, knowledge base articles, and the like.

Cons

Not a lot of cons. I'd love to see "do it for me" features to fix common/easy/low-risk-of-change things.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thank you, Troy! We love helping you be true VMware experts!

Swetal J.

Runecast has allowed me to quickly identify best practices for my VMware infrastructure.

Reviewed on 16/05/2018

Pros

I can see directly what VMware KBs that the hosts in my environment are affected and what steps to take for remediation. Also what best practices I should adhere to can be quickly gleaned from the Runecast console.

Cons

The integration of Runecast with vCenter as a plug-in needs work. For my environment it caused crashes of the vCenter flash website many times. I finally had to remove the integration.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for the great review, Swetal!

And sorry to hear you had troubles with the vCenter Web Client plug-in. We emailed you privately to make sure this issue is resolved.

Nicolas M.

The tool we always wanted from VMware

Reviewed on 31/05/2018

Pros

It's easy to use, easy to Setup and install, always kept up to date (KBs) and very efficient to identify issues within your virtual infrastructure.

Cons

I have too little experience in using the solution, because I only used a free trial version of Runecast.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for the kind feedback, Nicolas!

Vedran B.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

The software reduces the time needed to follow KBs to minimum.

Reviewed on 22/05/2018

Pros

The software reduces the time needed to follow KBs to minimum filtering out irrelevant KBs to your VMware cloud....

Cons

It would be nice if it would monitor driver / firmware changes, KBs, matrix of compatibility for hardware.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for the kind review, Vedran!

Historical changes report is on the immediate roadmap. Stay tuned!

Miguel angel A.

Simply to install and use. Great features

Reviewed on 11/07/2018

Pros

Wide functionality with vSphere, NSX and vSAN. Easy to implement and use for me and my customers. Great number of articles in Internet

Cons

features like vCloud Director are important in my customers. We need this feature to monitoring vCD Machines

Paolo V.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

System Engineer, I design and manage IT services. Author of Nolabnoparty.com tech blog.

Reviewed on 30/05/2018

I can have the situation of my virtual environment always under control from a centralized console knowing if anything bad is occurring to the infrastructure.

It allows me to save time and plan appropriate maintenance windows avoiding services disruption.

Pros

An easy to use solution, very useful to prevent potential issues on your virtual infrastructure. The well designed Dashboard allows you to have the overall status of your infrastructure from a single pane of glass. Being constantly under development, Runecast releases updates as soon as new issues or new KB are released by VMware saving the administrators from potential services disruption.

Despite daily checks of the virtual infrastructure, not all issues can be detected on time. If the system has a problem, the users will have a problem. Runecast gives you the information you need to prevent potential and dangerous issues saving lot of time and keeping the environment healthy. Just think about Meltdown and Spectre issue... in large environments to identify hosts affected by this problem takes ages. With Runecast you can have the exact overview of hosts that need to be patched in a matter of seconds.

Cons

No much to say about cons... for SMBs the application price perhaps can influence the purchase decision but the provided benefits are valuable. Anyway preventing issues surely cost less than fixing.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thank you, Paolo!

We love your blog and your kind reviews!

Rob V.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Runecast at 'de Volksbank'

Reviewed on 26/06/2020

“Our main goal is to serve our customers with a high-end, feature rich and robust electronic banking environment. With Runecast we can now proactively prevent outages on the systems that provide that environment.” On average, we prevent at least one host crash (or not responding) a month. That means 20 to 30 VM’s are kept running each month instead of annoying a customer with a problem at a cash machine or doing their online of mobile banking. That alone makes it worthwhile for us!
We utilize Runecast to prioritise remediation of newly detected issues in each sprint according to their level of severity. We also use it to generate concise monthly reports on the state of our virtual environment.

Pros

Runecast Analyzer saves De Volksbank’s IT team 75% of time previously spent on troubleshooting and identifying root causes of issues. The tedious manual approach of crawling through VMware Knowledge Base articles has been replaced with proactive automated problem prevention.

Cons

The upgrade process in the past between major versions. The move from one appliance to another keeping all settings and data.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thank you for the review! We're glad to hear how well it's working out.

Andrew H.
  • Used for 2+ years

One stop shop, single pain or glass Best Practice and Security Advice, all in one nice panel!

Reviewed on 18/05/2018

Spent less time, consulting VMware documentation.... Log Analysis against VMware KBs, provides many fixes for issues.

Pros

It takes the pain away from VMware Administration.... it does what it says on the tin, plug and play, sit back, and then spend some time Security Hardening your VMware vSphere estate, and not forgetting following Best Practice!

The real time log analysis against VMware KBs is amazing...!!!

Cons

What is there not to like about Runecast Analyzer! Be prepared for a long list of todos, after it's analysed your VMware vSphere estate! It's not a software issues, because you should have been following Best Practice and Security Advice...anyway.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thank you Andrew, for a great review!

Rob P.

An extremely useful pro-active problem solver, with new features being added regularly.

Reviewed on 16/05/2018

Avoiding downtime on production hypervisors, and ensuring everything is running smoothly.

Pros

It does something unique by cross-referencing KB articles with your VMware estate, bringing a lot of hidden unknowns to the surface so they can be sorted before you have an issue.

Cons

Just waiting on the PCI checks feature, but I understand this needs a lot of interaction with VMware themselves before they can release.

Response from Runecast Solutions

Great feedback - thank you, Rob!

We keep working hard to add new valuable functionalities and a PCI compliance profile is coming up very soon!

Even now Runecast Analyzer already satisfies a large number of PCI-DSS 3.2.1 controls. Check out this article: https://www.runecast.biz/blog/automating-pci-dss-v321-in-vmware-virtual-data-centers-part-1---vulnerability-management.jsp

Brad B.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

My experience..

Reviewed on 26/06/2020

Pros

Its easy to use, handy to solve issues..

Cons

Product keeps either losing creds or some other issue, as it periodically loses connection to various vcenters..Sometimes the interface can be overwhelming..

Response from Runecast Solutions

Thanks for the review, we will keep your feedback in mind with upcoming releases!