QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

4.5 (18,392)
Enterprise accounting, FSM and inventory management solution

(18,392)

Lisa S.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

QuickBooks Review

Reviewed on 05/10/2021

The system helps me to track income and expenses and the comparative reports are very beneficial as our practice is growing.

Pros

I love that I can use it anywhere and the system is available to me 24/7. The reports are helpful and the system is simple to use.

Cons

Getting answers to specific questions can be tricky using the online help support.

AccountingSuite

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Easier to use, cost and met our company needs.
Caralyn T.

Better for Cash Based Accounting

Reviewed on 19/12/2020

It's definitely best for cash based accounting. We prefer an accrual method for several reasons so having to fit into the "box" of cash based accounting has been quite an adjustment. The customer service was also hit or miss. I'm not an accountant, I just manage the finances for our organization, but many of the reps expect you to understand all of the accounting terms and aren't the most charitable teachers. A few, on the other hand, were extremely personable and very dedicated to getting us the help we need to be able to use QB on our own.

Pros

It syncs seamlessly with our bank and the reports (P/L, Balance Sheet, etc) are very easy to understand and quickly capture ay updates you've made.

Cons

Customizing the chart of accounts was quite a chore. We've been using the same system in excel for years and it took months to finally create a chart of accounts in QB that met our needs. Even with an accountant doing our bookkeeping.

Quicken

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Five years of financial data in the spreadsheet made it crash. We also needed past data to not be "locked" and no longer editable. Many investors required PL and Balance Sheets which couldn't as easily be created in Excel.

Microsoft Excel

Cost and web access.
Theodore U.

"'Undertaking' Appellation Undeserved"

Reviewed on 15/11/2020

The lamentable truth is that a QB Company record can get ruined whenever for various reasons, and once undermined your essential choice is to present the document to the Intuit Data Recovery group, who illuminate you that their fix exertion will take up to three (3) business days, during which time your business tasks are viably suspended. My recommendation is to consider cautiously whether your business can recuperate from such an interruption prior to wagering its future on QB as a business task stage.

Pros

QuickBooks makes a fine showing with fundamental bookkeeping capacities, is generally simple to utilize, and the report suite is more than sufficient for independent ventures.

Cons

QuickBooks Enterprise Manufacturing and Wholesale form just doesn't function as promoted, as two models among many will illustrate. QB offers 'Progressed Pricing' usefulness which empowers the client to characterize and apply estimating rules over their customer program and stock things list. These guidelines are proposed to permit the QB client to apply a 60% no matter how you look at it rebate for customers Ajax and AAA, while customers Acme and Consolidated get that equivalent markdown in addition to custom valuing on things X, Y, and Z. Nonetheless, after the valuing rules have been applied and those customers are being charged, changing the receipt or boat date brings about the cancellation of the delivery cost detail, and changes to the estimating of things on the receipt. Examination with QB uphold uncovered that Advanced Pricing experiences a bug that was known to Intuit for in any event multi month preceding when I summoned the Advanced Pricing usefulness, and an entire month later Intuit has been not able to cure the bug. Subsequent to summoning the 'Progressed Inventory' include set, which consequently makes an outsource stockroom site, I discovered that item being bought from a provider and dispatched straightforwardly to our customer was being taken out by QB from the check of actual stock occupant on our premises. Intuit technical support rep's reaction was (reworded) "That doesn't appear to be correct, yet I don't think a lot about Advanced Inventory - you shou

Vincent T.

QuickBooks for Businesses in Fiji

Reviewed on 04/11/2020

The overall experience with QuickBooks was pleasant. I would definitely recommend this to others for use especially startups. It does all of the work and the tech & online supports is readily available.

Pros

After using various Accounting software that was common in my country (Fiji) like MYOB & XERO i was quite reluctant to use QuickBooks just for the fact that NOBODY else here uses it or even heard of it. However, after using it for a few days I found that it's really great! Right away, a huge PRO for me was the fact that I could attach source documents to pertinent transactions as proof of purchase or payment. This was critical as the Fiji IRS are really strict on this. Also, because some Invoices & receipts fade in time, having copies of source documents there were really great. Another pro is the dashboard itself as soon as you log in. You see the the breakdown of all transactions over a specific period of time represented in a pie chart. This was really cool and it helped me report to my superiors as I could rely on QuickBooks to relay information vital to business decision making. Among other advantages, QuickBooks is very easy to use that helps business owners that have no Accounting experience keep their books in order.

Cons

Perhaps something I realized really quickly was that fact that I could not review transactions to see what accounts would be affected if I made an entry. For example, if a certain vendor was also listed as a customer for the business, I cannot review whether I chose the "vendor" or the "customer" and its effect on the Debits & Credits. In MYOB, I could press ctrl+R to review transactions and it would tell me what accounts are affected and it would confirm whether I selected the right item or not. Producing a chart of accounts report was very hard in QuickBooks. There was no option to allow me to do this easily. Also, producing a report for monthly Tax returns purposes was quite a challenge. I noticed that producing accounting specific reports like Profit & Loss or Balance Sheet was quite easy. However, when it comes to other reports that lie outside of the Accounting scope, producing reports aren't that easy. A good examples was the Tax reports I needed.

William S.
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Quick Books is Perfect For Small to Medium size Businesses

Reviewed on 27/10/2020

I think quickbooks is a great accounting software for Medium size businesses such as ours its quick and very simple to use i find it very efficient when a customer needs a quotation or invoice urgently i can send him all the relevant information in less than 5 minutes overall i think its a great accounting software and its definitely the best at saving time

Pros

I enjoyed the simplicity of quickbooks once i learnt how to use the softare properly doing quotations ,delivery notes & invoices become much more efficient than using Excel once all your company details & inventory is loaded into the software doing everything like quotations & invoices are just two clicks and its done it is very time saving as i do not always have to type out everything manually save it to file and then e-mail , everything is saved onto the software all i had to do was add my customer e-mail address and i could e-mail quotations & invoices straight from the quickbooks software which was very quick and efficient

Cons

I disliked that we were limited to the number of users that can use the software at the same time once three or more people were logged the software would throw us out of what ever we were working on

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Very simple to use and its quicker than typing everything into excel and having save into my hard drive take up space. With quickbooks i know everything Is saved to the software and everything is there when i need it
Myint M.

QuickBooks Online is as yet the best web based bookkeeping application for independent ventures

Reviewed on 25/10/2020

In spite of its costs and its less-then-heavenly online assistance, QuickBooks Online wins our Editor's Choice honor for offering the best, thorough, helpful, and usable devices. Moreover, its profundity, adaptability, and extensibility clobber those of its adversaries. The race is more tight than it used to be, yet QuickBooks Online is as yet the unmistakable champ.

Pros

Simple To Use: Many clients discover QuickBooks Online simple to learn and utilize, particularly contrasted with the work area rendition of the product. Indeed, even non-bookkeepers discover the product pleasant to utilize.

Bill pay: handily input sellers and their bills, and afterward pay them at whatever point you are prepared.

Duty prep: send 1099s to all self employed entities over the edge with only a couple clicks.

Planning: set up your financial plans, and afterward track your genuine income/costs against the financial plan to perceive how your association is performing.

Detailing: MANY various reports accessible to fulfill speculators and bookkeepers. Entirely adjustable.

Cons

We have felt that their client care group ought to be more acquainted with their own item. They weren't generally ready to see the item through the eyes of a client.

Changing from the online form to the work area variant was not consistent. It required somewhat more exertion than anticipated.

Fazal G.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

My Response to QuickBooks Online Advanced

Reviewed on 20/04/2020

Being a proficient user of QuickBooks, my overall experience with this software is based on my daily usage and I can rate it 9/10. No doubts it makes my and our organizations' employees work more efficiently. If someone asked me to use this software, I'll definitely recommend it to them. Because of its analytics, advanced facilities and integration with 3rd parties including many other required features make it highly recommended software in the market of accounting solution software.

Pros

QuickBooks software helps from small to large businesses, companies, and enterprises to manage more efficiently their accounts through the best cloud-based software. Enterprises can easily manage their projects, invoices and other accounting solutions. This Software has a centralized dashboard, it allows users to get more insights into their business swings. This software also helped me much time to see my organizational performance by using QuickBooks Online advanced key performance indicators. Another benefit of using this software that it gives its administrators to assign the chore to the employees for example salespersons and others. Capturing easily digital receipts copies sorting out transactions, tax categories handling and other improved financial operations in this software make me and our organization toughest tasks easier those were never like this before using QuickBooks.

Cons

However, having all these wonderful pros I personally feel some cons of this software being a proficient user. Some of the features for industry types of businesses are not enough just for an example for eCommerce Barcode scanning etc. If I take it out of accounting solution there would be missing some other reports key factors. Sometimes the system crashes happen very rarely but still is a problem.

Bakari C.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Great for Preparing Quarterly Taxes

Reviewed on 15/04/2020

Overall, I have a good experience with Quicken Self-Emloyed because the application is easy to use and I don't have to go and manually update transactions on a daily basis. I review it about once a week, right before my quarterly taxes are due.

Pros

I've been using Quicken self-employed, which is part of QuickBooks, for about five years now. I have seen the online application improved with more useful features, and user interface. I basically use the online version of Quicken to send out invoices, and keep track of business related income and expenses. I particularly like how Quicken syncs between my desktop web browser and my mobile devices.

The invoice feature is very useful because I can send with a single click reminders to my clients about invoice payments, and another click for letting them know their payment was received.

Quicken also processes my financial transactions without requiring constant manual input. once Quicken knows how you want to assign particular transactions, as business or personal, it automatically makes those assignments for each new transaction. You can also use Quicken to assign tags different types of transactions, which is useful for letting you know where and how your spending your money.

Quicken is very useful for giving me an estimation about my quarterly taxes, and there is also a feature for keeping track of mileage. The mileage tracking is easy to use on my iPhone. And parts of the feature are also automated if you choose to set it up that way.

Cons

Quick Self-Employed is about $4 too expensive, and it doesn't provide very good support through its online chat system.

Response from Intuit

We'd like to thank you for being a member of the QuickBooks family for the past 5 years. We genuinely appreciate your loyalty and are thrilled to hear that you've enjoyed using the product. Feel free to visit our Community, as it's a fantastic resource for helpful info regarding the product.(https://community.intuit.com/) Wishing you continued success! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

Chris B.
  • Industry: Music

Great Comprehensive Software for a Company That is Just Emerging

Reviewed on 22/01/2020

The first hurdle was getting used to the new software. A person isn't left alone though and there is alot of information online to assist you until it becomes routine . All in all, this is very good software for a smaller business.

Pros

This is a really good all around type software which is anchored in the accounting segment of your business. You can have up to thirty users and the administrator can set up restrictions and controls so the staff can only access segments of your data. This is particularly handy when you have staff that need to be able to enter information on inventory but you don't want them to have the access to your business' accounting information as a whole. The root of of the program is for transparency to your bottom line but it goes much further than that. The software is flexible enough that it would be suitable for pretty much any industry a small business would run in to suffice for all of their software tracking needs. Where the real value is for me in on the Inventory Management workflows.

Some of the more exciting features revolve around the rules that can be set up for expediting business processes. Once such rule is around inventory purchasing. If you have your agreements set up with a vendor you can have the software authorize and cut POs directly when your internal rules dictate that the purchase is necessary. This saves a ton of time from having to have someone manually vette and authorized routine low cost consumable type items.

There is now mobility integration as well and although I haven't had a chance to dive into the different apps that are available they look promising for any company that has a field operational workforce.

Cons

Some of the features seemed excessive for the level of detail that a smaller business requires. Perhaps this is to hit a more vast market group but it was a bit encumbering to get used to at first.

Response from Intuit

Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. It's great to hear how the features of QuickBooks have helped you manage your accounting needs. From inventory management to setting up multiple users, you can count on QuickBooks to back you each step of the way. When designing our products, we want them to be accessible for any business owner from any industry to take charge of their books. With that being said, it takes time to get used to a new software. To help with this, we have multiple resources available online, like our Community site (http://community.intuit.com/), to make it easier to become familiar. We're so glad you're enjoying QuickBooks and look forward to working with you for years to come.

All the best,
Jen, Intuit Support Specialist

John B.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Accounting Without a Financial Background

Reviewed on 17/01/2020

When I became the Executive Director at our home care agency, my list of responsibilities went from strictly operations (my background) to include every component of the company. Without any experience in accounting or finance I was somewhat nervous about being responsible for overseeing our finance division as well. QuickBooks is so user friendly, that with some basic training from our Financial Manager, and some time spent on YouTube, I was able to quickly gain an understanding of where our agency stood from a financial standpoint. The fact that I could understand this so quickly is a testament to how user-friendly QuickBooks truly is. I'm able to easily monitor where our company is with regards to Accounts Receivible, Accounts Payable, Payroll, and Profit and Loss. Our agency has grown significantly over the past few years, QuickBooks is one of the reasons that we've been able to scale up so easily. I highly recommend it for your business!

Pros

-I really like how easy it is to navigate the dashboard. I can quickly go in and find whatever I'm looking for at that time.
-QuickBooks' ability to interface with Apps such as Expensify, that allow us to keep everything in one place is a great feature as well.

Cons

-We initially had a difficult time syncing it up with our bank account. We were able to eventually set it up, but it took some back and forth to figure it out.

Wave Accounting and Odoo

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Quickbooks seemed much more user-friendly, and also was accepted by our online scheduling system.
Scott L.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

The Default Small Busines bookeeping software

Reviewed on 13/01/2020

We mostly like it. It dominates the market so much that it has become the default bookkeeping solution. I think the only reason to choose something else would be if your business far outgrows QuickBooks, or if your business type is particularly well-served by a niche product. Some add-on features are useful, such as 1099 reporting. There are many third party add-ons available.

Pros

The main thing to know about Quickbooks is that it is the dominant player in small business bookkeeping. That means that every CPA knows how to use it and can help you to set it up for your business. Nearly any bookkeeper you might hire has used it before, so their learning curve should be short. It is cloud based, so your data is much safer from disasters than if you stored it on your own server. User support, while less than perfect, is at least plentiful through the message boards and other sources you might find in bookstores or on the internet. Although it is not optimized for government contracting, you can set up a chart of accounts that complies with DCAA requirements, and use the "Class" feature to distinguish between government contracts / customers. With such a large user base and development team, it is reasonably bug-free and feature rich.

Cons

About once or twice a year, they seem to make a change to the user interface...notionally to improve the user interface, but for us it vexing that features we used to know where to find get hidden under some other menu. Some cursing ensues in the office, then we find where the feature is hidden, and work continues as normal. Sometimes they seem to push the add-ons we don't want, such as payroll or financing. The subscription price went up a lot after we had been loyal customers for a couple of years...meaning it is a lot easier to stay with them and pay the higher price than it is to go shopping for an alternative.

Antonio E.

Best Accounting Software for SMBs

Reviewed on 02/01/2020

With Quickbooks I can see the overall health of my business. I can track my expenses, sales, inventories, financial reports and other vital information for intelligent decision making.

Pros

The thing I like most about Quickbooks is its completeness. For a small to medium sized business one gets to have a user friendly accounting and inventory system all rolled into one. Add to that its customizable reports suited to ones needed data. Some of these reports which are very vital to a business owner are Daily/Weekly/Monthly and even Annual Sales Report, Inventory related reports, Expenses Reports, Accounts Payables and Receivables, Banking and many more.

Cons

Like any software, or for whatever product that is, Quickbooks also have some flaws. Personally, I would prefer the customization of forms to be more flexible where the user can have more control. An example of this is the addition of additional fields aside from those that are built-in. Another thing i don't like about Quickbooks is its limitation on the number of items and the size of its company file. In a previous company I worked at, I have reached the maximum number of items, thus I was faced with deleting some items, and those items had transactions connected to them. Finally, I suggest Intuit increase the maximum company size because in my experience, when I reached the maximum company file size, the system totally lagged big time.

MYOB Advanced

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Quickbooks was more user friendly for me and I like its user interface versus MYOB. Well Quicken wasn't for me, it was mainly intended for accountants and basic accounting processes without inventory module.
Blake B.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Value for the money is incredible

Reviewed on 23/11/2019

Great, would recommend! Any sort of business needs accounting software, and your business should use Quickbooks. If given the choice, we would use this again.

Pros

The seamless integrations, technical (both IT & Accounting) support, and intuitive user interface provides a great experience for automating a small or midsize operation

Cons

It loads slowly -- I feel like Quickbooks constrains the amount of servers it dedicates to this platform. There are businesses that have far more transactions that we, and it still takes a while for reports or pages to render.

Sage 100cloud, Microsoft Excel and FreshBooks

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Ease of use and separation of systems. Sage is great for large, industrial ERP uses. Quickbooks is better for small, nimble divisions.

Sage 100cloud

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

The automation and integrations. Our transactions book seamlessly and we don't have to spend a lot of time on non-value add activities such as month end reconciliations.
Justin V.

QuickBooks Online review

Reviewed on 04/11/2019

As we deal with mostly smaller business our experience is very good with QBO and it works very well and i would say a large majority of our clients are happy with it.

Pros

QuickBooks Online (QBO) is a very useful software for our industry. It gives clients a much easier time when completing their accounting records. The software is fairly easy to use with most clients (even those with little or not accounting experience) can use the software little or no training on our part.

Cons

The software is very good and very geared towards smaller companies and owner-manged businesses. If the company grows it is very evident that QBO is no longer useful for them. It does not handle a large number of transactions easily and the larger you are the more likely that error downloads will occur and duplicates or omitting transactions does occur.

Sage 50cloud and Xero

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

QBO is the most well known and it has a lot of integrations with our accounting software, other companies are coming but at the time this was our best option mainly because of that.

Response from Intuit

Hi, Justin. Providing you with the tools you need to get the job done quickly and easily is our top priority. It's great to know you've been able to do this with QuickBooks! We're continually working to provide advanced features and functionality that will meet the needs of every business. To find out about what's going on behind the scenes, we invite you to check out our Blog (https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv). Additionally, you may want to take a look at our available apps that integrate directly with your account to expand it's versatility (https://apps.intuit.com/app/apps/home).

Wishing you continued success!
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

• Industry: Veterinary

Great features for the price point

Reviewed on 18/08/2019

Good experience. Hassle free software. Accounting and invoicing is straight forward.

Pros

Very cheap (they give you more discounts if you wait it out before renewal). Its got most of the accounting functionalities from invoicing to inventory to taxation and cost management. Highly recommended for a small-med organisation.

Cons

The 'Sent from Quick-books as displayed (in big bold) in each mail. Really dislike it.
Also, you can't generate invoices which have already been paid for- you need to generate cash receipt--but cash receipts mess with the accounting as revenues are calculated from invoicing. All invoices go with a pay now button. This is the biggest issues we face.

Wave Accounting and Zoho Books

1. Less cumbersome 2. More functionalities

Response from Intuit

We strive to provide easy to use tools to manage each accounting aspect. It's great to know we've been able to share the workload and help out with invoicing, inventory, taxes, and cost management! For additional tips and tricks on ways to use your account, we recommend checking out the Community (https://community.intuit.com/). You can also find out more about how we're working to offer advanced features and improved functionality by viewing our Blog (https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv).

Thanks for a great review!
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Great Product for Small Business

Reviewed on 29/07/2019

overall quickbooks is a fantastic program with minimal learning curve especially if you are coming over from another program. the user interface is friendly and easy to use. the customer service is top notch and is always there to help you immediately and come to a resolution to get you back up and running 100%.

Pros

the best thing about this software is that it is easy for a small business to setup with customers, tax tables, A/P, A/R, inventory, invoicing, payroll and business taxes. it helps take the burden and guesswork out of paying taxes, employees and business expenses while maintaining the books and budgets. There is even utilities that are readily available to use to convert from another program to quickbooks to get you up and running much faster while retaining your previous data with a few tweaks. Customer service is the best there is. not once have i contacted them and not had my issue almost immediately resolved.

Cons

As always, the least liked thing about quickbooks is the updates. it seems that no matter what update it is or how new or old an installation is, there is always an issue with an update. whether it requires you to reset the update history and re-download the update and apply or completely boot all the users out of the system to make repairs and then reboot the system it is hosted on so that you can update the quickbooks system again and get everyone back into it to continue working.

Response from Intuit

Nothing makes us happier than hearing QuickBooks is helping you easily maintain your books and that you've been receiving the support you deserve. Whether you're running payroll or handling a budget, you can count on our software to back your business. With updates, there are many factors that go into getting them to install properly and sometimes having the software hosted on its own system can cause hiccups. Should you continue to have issues, please let us know and we'll investigate further. In addition to phone support, you can also receive assistance via the channels below:

QB Community: http://community.intuit.com/
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: @IntuitQuickBooks
Twitter: @QBCares

Thank you for the rave review and we wish you continued success!
Jen, The QuickBooks Team

Naomi A.

Not for entry level

Reviewed on 28/07/2019

It has definitely helped our business stay in compliance. Most CPA’s use this software so it’s an easy way for them to access our information. It has not been an easy software to learn but it’s worth it once you do.

Pros

Once you tailor it to your business and get familiar with the features it can be helpful and stress free. Knowing I’m staying in compliance puts me at ease as well as having one spot I can go to to access all my info.

Cons

It is not user friendly. You can’t just purchase the software and try and “figure it out” on your own. I had to have training from my CPA and it has taken years to fully feel comfortable with it....and I STILL have questions! I also don’t like having to transfer the file back and forth with my cpa which means I have to wait on him to get anymore work done.

Response from Intuit

We appreciate you being a part of our QuickBooks family over the years, Naomi! It's wonderful to hear our software has helped you stay at ease by knowing you're in compliance and all your data is in one spot. At first it can be tough to figure out how to use all the features available and like you said, you can still have questions even when you're comfortable. If you ever need to know how to do something, we recommend checking out our Community page for self-help articles and discussions with your peers, as well as access to our support team: (https://community.intuit.com/quickbooks-desktop). Also, if you're not already, it may be easier to share your file with your CPA by using our Accountant File Transfer Service (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1760628). This allows you to continue working in your books and apply their changes when they're done.

We hope this information helps and wish you continued success!
Jen, The QuickBooks Team

Jonathan Z.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

As a Satff Accountant this a great asset to have

Reviewed on 09/06/2019

This is great accounting software for all kinds of business, it has done wonders for our company and all the associates that work with it within the finance and accounting team. I would highly recommend it to small to medium-sized businesses.

Pros

Quickbooks is one of the best tools I've used for accounting, this is due to its very light platform and intuitive UI for you to navigate through and execute. Taking into consideration the fact that you need to have an accounting background, that doesn't take away the fact that this is an easy-to-use tool. Among my favorite features the one that I can point out the most, is the Vendo/Bills feature, which allows you to add all bill of the period into every vendor's account for you to generate you AP and Aging reports.

Cons

Among the cons, you could find this software to not be easy to break into, even tho it has a very light UI, you are required to have an accounting background for you to fully exploit this tool's full capabilities. Another thing you could find as a little bit of an issue, it the way it's mobile app works, as for it is not at full development quite yet, meaning you will find yourself capped on the thing you could do with the reporting features and journal entries.

Response from Intuit

Hearing an accountant describe QuickBooks as one of the best tools they've used is music to our ears, Jonathan. We strive to provide software that is accessible to users of all backgrounds and have some great resources to help learn the program. Should you or a coworker be interested in learning more about the features in the software, we invite you to check out our video tutorials. Here you can find over one hundred videos on topics from getting started to running reports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVxBmyedTVhTRQRYeZJfVBpz_12zwHc6Z

We appreciate the wonderful review!
David, The QuickBooks Team

Sheri S.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Have been using QuickBooks for my small business for 16 years!

Reviewed on 14/03/2019

The benefits of using QuickBooks are that I stay organized by recording all of my sales, income and expenditures in real time as they happen which saves me in accounting expenses such as hiring this work out. Also...I liked QuickBooks so well for my small business that I use it to record all of my personal finances as well. I love the reports I have easy access to as well such as Profit and Loss statements that allow me to see quickly how my business is doing this year compared to previous years. I also love that I can track what I'm spending in customized categories that I've created. It also gives me tremendous insight into my sales, ie what is selling, what is not and how it compares to previous years. I highly recommend QuickBooks for not only keeping your finances straight but also for the reports that give you valuable insight into your business.

Pros

Once you familiarize yourself with the product it's easy to use. I have been using QuickBooks for 16 years for my small business for all of my daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly bookkeeping needs. It saves me time and money on accounting expenses and allows me to stay organized. Because I handle all the day to day accounting needs thru QuickBooks I only have to pay my accountant to handle my yearly tax return. And because QuickBooks makes it easy to stay organized with income, sales and expenditures my accountant spends less time preparing my tax return which also saves me money.

Cons

That the Cloud version is a bit too pricey for my small business needs.

Response from QuickBooks France

Thank you for the excellent review, Sheri! I'm delighted QuickBooks is saving you time when managing your daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly bookkeeping, and it's wonderful to know the program has been backing your small business for over 16 years.

I'm sure you're a pro by now, but if you ever need support, know the answers you seek are only a short search away on our Community website. I encourage you to explore this site when you have a moment to spare: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us

I'm thrilled QuickBooks has been able to help you with your financial records, regardless of them being personal or business-related. Thank you again for this excellent review, Sheri!

Warm regards,
Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Betsy W.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

QuickBooks- Accessible for Small Businesses But Limited.

Reviewed on 01/02/2019

QuickBooks is no substitute for having a client database, however, the company I worked for as accounts payable and receivable had no other database program. While the limitations of QB for this was frustrating at times, it did a great job of keeping data organized and easily allowing input for new and continuing contacts. The customer service was as helpful as they could be, however I had to make the same calls for the same problems often several times within the year, only to learn that on-going glitches existed in QB that required workarounds. Customer Service wasn't always forthcoming on this, but their forums were very helpful.

Pros

QuickBooks is fairly easy to figure out for first time users, even those without a bookkeeping background. There are many tutorials included from the home website, and it's been around long enough that users have posted fixes to various known issues. It's useful in creating form templates, such as invoicing, proposals and receipts. Reports look good, and can integrate with many 3rd party platforms.

Cons

QuickBooks lacked much help for Inventory tracking and scanning. While you are able to create an inventory list, it's too easy to accidently miscategorize items and wreck the usefulness of the cataloging features. The inventory interface is a bit confusing to start with and connecting the inventory reports with logged sales is not practical. It doesn't happen automatically, but must be manually checked since there are many bugs that create errors or problems with data retrieval.
When creating templates, it can be tough to figure out how to connect certain field codes with data areas to fill in. I spent many hours on the customer service line to figure some of that out. Even then, I was creating or finding "work-arounds" for some glitches that QuickBooks just doesn't fix or update.
One of the most frustrating issues I personally found was the coding of expenses. Without some universal system, numerous employees can simply invent new codes for similar or same items, which creates many redundant and incorrect reports. Turnover in your office can produce serious inconsistency.

Response from Intuit

Betsy, thank you so much for providing an insightful and thorough review of QuickBooks. The details you've shared have painted a detailed portrait of your impressions of QuickBooks, and I appreciate it very much. I loved reading your comments about where you found the program to be beneficial to your business.

Please be assured, your voice is important, and the comments you've provided about the software have been sent to our Product Development team. Feedback like yours is instrumental for the growth of the program, and it will be used when considering future updates to QuickBooks.

Thank you again for your wonderful review of QuickBooks, Betsy!

All the best,
Clay, The QuickBooks Team

• Used for 2+ years

it's a love hate relationship

Reviewed on 02/11/2018

Setup isn't difficult, but it's very time consuming. It's difficult to use the update product once you lose the initial program. I've changed computers that originally had the program installed (when it was a CD). After changing the laptop, and losing some information, including the CD, I wasn't able to prove previous ownership and had to purchase the new complete program which is much more expensive. I hope that problem has been corrected since I would think the d/l'able programs can be tracked more easily.

I call this a love/hate relationship because QB gets you to love the program, then makes it difficult to continue with the same program once the 3 years are up. They know they "gotcha"! but, all in all, it's a program I wouldn't want to do without when having a business. I also use this program to keep track of not for profit organizations, too. It's a very versatile program for any type of business. I used the contractor program and have been able to customize it for the Nonprofit. I began using QB in 2003. It's certainly grown since then!

Pros

I like QB for it's completeness to operate a business. It integrates your banking, your customer base and sales and/or estimates seamlessly. You can use it to email customers or print out what you need. There are so many facets to this software it'll take you a while to get to know them. Once you do, you'll be forever beholden to use them. It's hard to go back to a simple spreadsheet again. All invoices/estimates are custom-izable. You can use your logos and iven if you're a small micro business, you present yourself as a competent, savvy businessperson.

Cons

You must purchase a new copy every 3 years. Some of the features you get used to using become un-usable if the newer version isn't purchased. QB doesn't support many of it's features after the program is 3 yrs old. You can still use the program, but some of the conveniences are gone, such as emailing invoices, or payroll. QB has a habit of having you get used to their newer features and then take them away once the program is more than three years old.

Response from Intuit

Thanks for your honest review and loyalty. It'd be my pleasure to touch on why updates occur, as well as how you can move data between computers. I assure you there are steps in place should you no longer have the original CD, and this article covers the process: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1771783. Furthermore, the info in the following link walks through how to avoid losing data when moving: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1764250. The insights there will save you valuable time moving forward.

As for the 3-year lifetime, we work hard to deliver the most secure and state of the art software on the market. This means the back-end systems comprising sensitive connected features, like email and payroll, must be replaced within that time frame. Full upgrades are the best way to safeguard your data and customer info. Should you have further questions, I invite you to email me directly. I'll gladly answer them in full ([email protected]).

• Industry: Law Practice

QuickBooks is Useful for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

Overall, my QB experience has been very positive.

Pros

Once I got the hang of QuickBooks, it was very useful. In general I like it and it makes accounting relatively easy. One caveat is that I am an attorney and I have to do relatively complicated trust accounting in QuickBooks. I found it extremely difficult to figure out how to properly set things up initially to do all of this correctly in QuickBooks. I would say it was the single thing that caused me the most stress in the first two years of my law firm. However, with the help of a couple of third-party books, and some online guides from third parties, I finally was able to figure out how to set things up properly, and once I did that things ran pretty smoothly. I still have my own little "guides" that I have written for myself to remind me of all the steps to do different tasks - but even having to follow those guides, QuickBooks is reliable and quick. I really like how quick and easy reconciliation is. As an attorney I am retired to do reconciliation for the trust accounting - with QB it is so easy that I generally do reconciliation once a week as opposed to once a month, and this really gives me the peace of mind to know that everything lines up. I do like, in reconciliation, that QB is able to almost always accurately tag items to their appropriate transactions/accounts so that I just have to click that it is correct. I am able to set up QB to automatically download backups of my company file to cloud backups like OneDrive and DropBox, which is great.

Cons

QB occasionally tags things wrong in reconciliation - for example I have a trust account where client funds are held before they are earned and a separate business savings account, and they both earn interest. When I earn interest on both accounts, however, QB consistently tags them both as interest on my trust account, which is incorrect. Also, QB does not allow for more complicated splitting of transactions. I have a third party payment processor (LawPay) and on one occasion I received funds from a client and processed a partial refund to a client on the same day. In my trust account, however, this only processes as a net deposit. There is no way in QB to split this transaction into both a partial refund to one client and a payment from another client, so when I do reconciliation this transaction consistently pops up (it has been doing this for over a year), so in EVERY reconciliation I have to just ignore it. This is annoying. Also, QB online does not have all the functionality I need for law firm trust accounting, so I had no choice but to go with the desktop version. I would have liked to have had the option of using the cloud version so that I could more easily use the software on my desktop and also on my laptop while traveling. Instead, I can install the software on my desktop and my laptop, but I can't really use the software on my laptop and have it sync - rather my laptop is useful if I need to recover my file and then switch to using my laptop only.

Jessica L.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

QuickBooks - everyone can be a bookkeeper

Reviewed on 19/09/2018

Pros

First, I've been using QuickBooks for over 11 years. I have used both the desktop software and online. Right now, all of our companies use Quickbooks online. I'm a big fan. If you have ever taken an entry level accounting class, you have all the knowledge you need to run QuickBooks. The ease of use is the best I have found and I've used a few other accounting systems that I won't name :) But QuickBooks far exceeds those others. You can easily customize your chart of accounts, create invoices and sales receipts, run payroll, manage users, complete bank reconciliations and manage the chart of accounts. It doesn't take a professional to learn the software which is what I love.

I have to talk about their support. They are amazing! We had to switch over another one of our companies to QuickBooks and the process from the old software was a nightmare. I spoke to QuickBooks support and they stayed on the phone for over 4 hours with me getting it to transfer. The support was unprecedented and in the end, they really pulled through to get the old accounting software to transfer into Quickbooks. Never seen anything like it before. I was thoroughly impressed.

Cons

The software goes down quite often. Sometimes we get errors that we can't log into our account or even that our account is active, which I know isn't true. We wait a few minutes, refresh, and alas we are back in business. Even with this headache every once in a while, I would still choose this software.

Response from Intuit Canada

We really appreciate you taking the time to write this glowing testimony, Jessica. It's been great having you as a part of the Intuit Family during these past 11+ years. What you said in your review title is so true. Everyone can become a bookkeeper. Sometimes, they just need the right tools in order to do so. We're so glad you made QuickBooks your bookkeeping tool of choice. By the way, if you run into a future situation where the site appears to be down, this tool can come in handy and potentially get you logged in faster: https://fixit.intuit.com/

We look forward to backing your business for years to come!
-Kristian, The QuickBooks Team

Gary m K.

Using QUICKBOOKS since 2014

Reviewed on 24/08/2018

Overall, the software works very well, the tech support is excellent and the pricing is fair and reasonable. They offer credit card proceasing and employee direct deposit. We don't write checks any longer and that is a great savings in itself. Purchase it, take a few classes to learn the software program flow (it makes it easier to understand) and you won't be sorry. An excellent product for any business that has accounts receivable's and employee payroll. You can even do you monthly and quarterly taxes too!

Pros

QB has excellent customer support. Even tho the support is base in India about 99% of the tech's are understandable and should you have trouble they allow you to ask for another tech without being offended. We use the P/R and A/R modules and they are easy to follow and understand if you have basic computer knowledge and finance knowledge help as well. But tech support is always their to help you with any issue.

Cons

They give you the ability to create far too many reports.

Response from QuickBooks France

Hi there, Gary. Thank you for your review, and your long-time loyalty to QuickBooks. I'm delighted to read our software is helping you manage the finances for Nancy Kissick's Professional Nursing Serbs. While we have customer assistance all over the world and U.S, just like our customer base, I'm here to ensure you know about all the support channels available to you.

As an alternative to calling in, feel free to send us a message on Facebook (Intuit QuickBooks) and Twitter (QBCares). We have dedicated product experts at the ready to lend a hand, and they have the tools and expertise to help you with any issues you come across.

Further, these agents likewise monitor our multi-function Community forum space at https://intuit.me/2rJQ95o. This Q&A site doubles as a database of workflow tips and troubleshooting guides, so you'll find a ton of insights on creating reports.

Keep up the fantastic work, and take care!

Perry G.

Good Product - Terrible Support!

Reviewed on 21/08/2018

I actually stopped using it and moved over to Sage software. When the program would not open to wait for 90 minutes on hold for support is not business functional. The product is good when it works, but if you have any issues, be prepared to stop your business.

Pros

QuickBooks does everything I need it to do, simple input (after my accountant set it up), some nice reports, easy to read screens, and easy for me to produce P&L for myself and taxes.

Cons

Terrible support. I had issues with some items and waited for hours on hold, spoke to people with such strong accents I could not understand them. I was actually stuck and could not work and asked to be escalated to North American support- - they said they could not do that. The offered me a manager and hung up on me. I called the corporate office and even sent letters, and never got any responses. Very frustrating when you spend this kind of money and the support is not there.

Response from Intuit

Hi there, Perry. I appreciate you taking the time to leave this honest review, as I'll exhaust my resources to turn this impression around. At your earliest convenience, can you reach out to me directly? My inbox at [email protected] is open, and I have the expertise, visibility, and tools to get you squared away. I'll dig into what happened when you reached out, and look forward to receiving your email.

In the meantime, please know we have a wealth of support options available to you. As an alternative to calling in, we have product experts monitoring our official Facebook (Intuit QuickBooks) and Twitter (QBCares) feeds. Even though we have call centers all over North America and the world, just like our customer base, the upside to messaging us is everything is easy to follow and accessible on screen.

Rest assured, the interaction you had with support is far from typical, but I intend to rectify this as soon as we get in contact again.