PowToon

Create animated videos and presentations

4.2/5
4.4/5
4.3/5
4.4/5

299 Software options

Ummar H.

Interactive Animated Presentations

Reviewed on 20/01/2020

Interactive storytelling in presentations took shorter time than before.

Pros

Powtoon is simple, interactive and provides all basic functions for motion graphics to be used as a presentation.

Cons

It's web-based to due which browser got very heavy when working on larger projects.

Microsoft PowerPoint

Reasons for Switching to PowToon

Due to visual characters and animation as compared to simple textual animation.
Mich M.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Powtoons is Amazing

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

I have created dozens of videos for internal comms, advertising, recruiting and training. It has made my life so easy and with great reward and outcome.

Pros

This is a super simple app to create fun and vibrant communications pieces either with cartoons or video.

Cons

I think customer service could be much better. I don't think I've ever gotten ahold of a live person.

Filmora

Reasons for Choosing PowToon

I didn't exactly make a total switch because I still need to edit some video before dropping it in to Powtoons, but the functionality of Powtoons and its ability to drag and drop anything into the video at any time is so cool. And it has a huge database of photos, video, and other tidbits.

Filmora
Riley R.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Powtoon

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

Not great they say they would be creating new content and we have had the service for 6 months with absolutely no content updates

Pros

You can put multiple layers of text on one slide and customize where it will show up.

Cons

They have absolutely zero content. They say they have marketing videos but they are only 10 seconds long and random. We no longer use this software.

Promo.com

Reasons for Switching to PowToon

We ended up purchasing promo as well because promo has a wide range and variety of videos and music that works a lot better than Powtoon. Very disappointed in Powtoon.
Natalie W.

If you want easy animation software for presentations look no further!!

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

Excellent!! creating meaningful videos that are young people friendly has been so much easier with this software.

Pros

This has been a recent addition to us, we came across it by accident looking for new characters for our powerpoint videos. This software has everything prepared and ready to go, with any type of animated creation it still takes time but having all the tools built-in ready and to hand saves a lot of time and frustration. Creating mini-presentations for young people has been a lot easier since we signed up.

Cons

The only con I have is that there could be more ethnic characters, this can be a little limiting for us as most of our client base are ethnic we like to use characters that look like them.

Alain jove R.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Powtoon for Power Cartoon Graphics

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Overall, it is really fun putting crazy ideas to life in this app. The templates save time from creating your own vector graphics and animation, or toying around with other photo or video editing/ creation tools which is very taxing when time is of the essence. The output looks fantastic as it is very smooth and the resolution is really fitting for any setup such as branding of products, personal promotions, and any other creative endeavors.

Pros

This is an outstanding app that I've used and is still using since it has powerful customizable templates for designing cartoon storyline. As opposed to just comic style speech bubble presentation, this brings more life to it than the old school approach. Although it still works, the this new approach works better and provides more life - but most of all, an eye catcher to the social media age of today.

I like this app because it provides a lot of customizable templates for characters, backgrounds, props, images, and other elements. All of them are customizable down to changing the character's gender and outfit, sceneries that change as your storyline progresses, moving objects like cars and buses, including other animated elements like traffic lights and blinking lights. In addition, you have several audio to choose from to fit the storyline, and has several zoom/pan effect for added touch.

Cons

In my opinion, your own imagination is the only thing that hinders you from getting into your end product. If you're stuck, you can always do a Google lookup and find ideas from other Powtoon animations to keep you going with your project. As far as loading times are concerned, there is no lag at all even if the elements already stack up.

Joseph manuel B.
  • Used for 6-12 months

A highly prestigious platform to create your presentations.

Reviewed on 10/08/2021

The presentations that I have been able to do with this tool have been of excellent quality and very dynamic, and I have also been able to do it in the most professional way possible.

Pros

It has very professional and dynamic templates, it also has a great variety of animations that allow you to improve your presentations and also the image quality of your presentations, it's very good.

Cons

Some animations are a bit difficult to implement.

Cleo H.

Not really useful unless you go Pro+

Reviewed on 18/11/2020

It's really easy to quickly create something that's, let's be honest, kind of corny, but for many situations that's fine. The tools are a joy to use and you can add your own artwork so you aren't really that limited. My biggest complaint (as I mentioned above in Cons) is that the tools are corrupted by the upsell items for Pro+. Just don't show me Pro+ features if I've already paid for Pro. Or at least give me a way to turn them off. Find another way to upsell.

Pros

Seriously easy to use. Using a template with its own audio, I was amazed at how smoothly the audio adjusted as you changed slide lengths. The tools are intuitive and things [transitions, modifications, adding/removing time, etc.] that are difficult in a lot of video editing packages are simple. There may be fewer features to tweak but in some ways that what makes it so easy to use. I like that you can add your own graphics - this makes it a powerful base if you want to deviate from the more cutesy look that's provided by default.

Cons

I'm constantly annoyed at the ongoing upsell to Pro+. I'm tricked into being disappointed at every turn. Choices of characters, items, templates, etc are shown but often it's not until you click on them that you discover they are only available to Pro+ plans. In a grid of possible templates, there were 54 Pro+ I couldn't use - I had to scroll over each one to discover they were Pro+. I asked Support if there was a way to hide the features that I couldn't access (turn off all Pro+) but they said no. Paying over $200 for Pro seems like a lot these days and I would be more satisfied with my purchase if I weren't constantly shown all the things I can't get with that money.

Binyamin K.
  • Industry: Farming
  • Used for Free Trial

Expected A Lot But Disappointed

Reviewed on 10/02/2019

If you are somebody who is moderately gifted/skillful in animation or you are committed to the learning curve demanded of Powtoon it is a great, and I could see it as being a really fun, animation marketing platform.

Pros

Using Powtoon a marketer can, at an affordable price, tell the story behind their company and their product in such a way that it comes alive and captivates the viewer. The animation becomes real and pulls the viewer in. It is a well constructed and professional tool. Besides conveying a story in a powerful way, Powtoon also imparts a feeling of professionalism. It shows the viewer that you as a company, as a product creator, cares and takes pride in that which you wish to sell/impart. It sends of message of creativity and above-and-beyond pride in your product.

Cons

Although I will be the first to admit that I am not tech savvy, nevertheless there are many products on the market that are made for people like myself, so much so that people are often amazed at how much tech I'm able to navigate with so little aptitude. However, Powtoon was not one of them. When I first discovered Powtoon I was excited, when I first logged-in to Powtoon I was revved up to start creating. From the get-go it was as if I was trying to climb a very tall and vertical wall. It was more than a bit frustrating, especially given that Powtoon was touted as an easy to use creation platform. If I had been heavily invested in learning to use Powtoon I'm sure I could have, but it clearly was going to take more than a day or two of serious learning. A learning curve I was not interested in pursuing.

Ulises M.

Animated, creative and unique videos to develop your ideas

Reviewed on 28/06/2018

An educator should always be preparing and never stop studying or preparing. That is why whenever I can take a course I do it in this case it was an elearning course and I was presented with this tool and from that moment on every occasion I can use it I develop my videos through it.

Pros

This tool is great since the environment is very friendly which allows us to devote to the development of the video without worrying about technical difficulties, as well as the possibility of inserting characters, templates and emoticons that allow us to draw the attention of the viewer by remembering that from time to time the viewer loses attention is why we have to find that in that moment that loses attention is also part of our explanation.

Cons

This tool has incredible potential to come to shape the ideas in unique and wonderful ways because in addition to having a large repertoire for the help of the video developer has the ability to add all that audiovisual element that we consider the only difficulty is that it is dependent of the Internet and without it you can not work but that reason does not detract from its great potential

Ana H.

I love how the presentations are, although it is not as fast to learn how to use it as I...

Reviewed on 21/06/2018

what most took advantage of this application was the use of storyboard because I did not have much knowledge in making animations of this type.

Pros

- It has very nice templates and the icons, images and shapes look very modern.
- I can use it for free, with some limitations of course.
- the elements on the screen are very well organized and have guidelines to correctly place what you want to show.
- allows you to share presentations or videos through popular social networks and download them in various formats depending on the type of account, for free accounts you can download it in ppt or pdf format.
- It has good tutorials to learn how to use the application and the help center is good.
- It allows to choose between several styles of presentations such as: real, infographics, cartoon, whiteboard and modern edge.
- The storyboard function is quite useful and practical since it adapts to the type of person who will make the presentation and guides you throughout the process.

Cons

- In spite of the tutorials and help it is not so easy to use it the first time, you have to dedicate a considerable time in learning how to make animations, if you are looking for something to make animated videos quickly this application or is for you.
- the free account only allows videos or presentations with a maximum duration of 3 minutes and pro and agency accounts are quite expensive.
- he does not have options of collaboration with other people for the edition.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Fun way to create presentations that really grab people’s attention

Reviewed on 04/08/2018

Pros

We all think it’s a really a fun and simple way to create professional-looking videos and infographics even for people without any design or technical background. If you’re familiar with PowerPoint, then it’s really easy to learn Powtoon but the result is something with a little more oomph.The presentations look very interesting and engaging with lots of nice options for backgrounds and animation. There are also pre-made templates available which look really appealing and are highly customizable.
There are plenty of tutorials available on the site and they break it down into bite-sized pieces. I also love the fact that I can chat directly with their customer support for help whenever a question or issue comes up.

Cons

It doesn’t allow for highly collaborative work just yet, but I am certainly hoping that this is something they are working on. I think that will streamline work for many people especially in terms of those who are working remotely but want to contribute to creating a presentation.

A new, creative way to do aid presentations

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

Great for aiding presentations

Pros

PowToon is a great software that one can use to create attractive, creative presentations using cartoon characters. The animations are fun and interesting and the great transitions make it more fun to watch and keeps your audience engaged,

A major plus is that the character set is diverse and there are a lot to choose from. There is also lot of support and tutorials online for users to learn from.

Cons

Lovely software, but one of the cons that I encountered was that when my projects got too large, its seems to use a lot of CPU power because my computer lags.

Another con, for those user who love freebies, the free version has a lot of restrictions.

Geoff B.

Great Value Product

Reviewed on 30/10/2020

Really helpful and very versatile. We had a great deal which made it a no brainer.

Pros

I like that it has lots of built in templates I can use as starters. I really like the explainer video templates. I use this for marketing, social media, paid campaigns, and internal customer support training.

Cons

I wish I could apply branding colors to a template without having to change every element. Then I could flip templates into production-ready products that much faster.

Jessica B.

Fantastic Support

Reviewed on 05/11/2018

Pros

It is really easy to use!
I can use it for anything: in my work, in my personal life ...

Cons

I love this software! There is nothing I would change about this software!

Sadie R.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Used for 1+ year

Powtoon Review

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

I have used Powtoons for my professional life to create how to videos and instructional or educational information. It is really easy to use and engaging for people to follow along for a few minutes.

Pros

Powtoon's is a great software for creating free videos for instructional or educational purposes. There are other paid options, but for basic needs, the free version is great! They have templates and icons and music and more that is easy to plug and play! They also have a ton of free resources and webinars to help with development.

Cons

It can be a little time consuming in the beginning to set up the look and feel of your videos, but with time it becomes easier. Otherwise, it is very intuitive.

Chris R.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Powtoon for Training Purposes

Reviewed on 04/12/2019

Powtoon has revolutionized our ability to become video makers when no one on our team could make them. We attempted to do everything on Adobe but our learning curve was much shorter and needed something quick to produce professional quality videos. This was our answer.

Pros

Powtoon's templates have made video creation absolutely easy and helps us save time when projects needed to be completed yesterday. It is set up very much like PowerPoint. It only took a few hours to truly master how to use this great tool to create videos. As someone who has never created videos and needed to learn literally overnight, it made us look very professional to our stakeholders. They were very impressed with our ability to whip up the videos and elevated our status with the organization.

Cons

At times, it can be slow but I mostly blame that on our organization's network. With so many information security concerns as a small organization, we are very wary of cloud-based products.

Meiby P.

Use it to impact employees in your training

Reviewed on 25/01/2018

The best way to quickly make an entertaining video for our training and human resources department. With powtoon we can generate motivating videos to improve learning indices

Pros

The best feature of the software is its easy to use, it is very intuitive since from the hundreds of screens they have, any person not vato or expert can create wonderful video animations in a few seconds. It also lets you import real videos to be complemented and animated. Our employees have liked the use we give in the instructions of each lesson or course.

Cons

the only disadvantage is that we always depend on an internet connection for their use could take a version desktop under user license. So that in the moments that we are without internet we can still use the great animation software

• Industry: International Affairs

A helpful tool for presentations

Reviewed on 04/01/2021

It is very easy to use and the graphics are very nice.

Pros

Powtoon offers different features that are animated, which gives you the opportunity to create a very dynamic presentation.

Cons

There are some features that you have o pay for.

Microsoft PowerPoint

Reasons for Switching to PowToon

It has different and nicer graphics.

Use for promotion and training material

Reviewed on 28/10/2018

If you need to create a lot in little time with high quality results, this is a great tool!

Pros

Best things about Powtoon are:

Super easy to work with, easy to learn
Great formats you can use to work in
Many opportunities to combine different techniques (audio, video, pictures, icons, storytelling)
The ability to adapt anything in the timeline the way you want (overlap, animate, enter and exit settings)
Able do download into film, so you can combine it with material made in other tools
It is fast, no issues with waiting long to save the work

Cons

Maybe one thing I would like to be added is to be able to save powtoons online in folders and be able to change the order of powtoons displayed in the "my powtoons" page.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Absolutely worth springing for a paid subscription

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

Powtoon made our online content more fun and accessible than just text. Video really does improve engagement with students and we've had good success (based on the number of views of our Powtoon videos) with converting text-based instructions and tutorials to Powtoons.

Pros

Huge amount of templates that you can customize to your needs. Really impressed by the quality and range of different templates, characters, backgrounds, sound effects, etc. Absolutely worth paying for a premium subscription!

Cons

The basic templates can get you up and running quickly, but if you need to do any heavy customization it can be a bit cumbersome and eat up your time. Best to stick to a good template and not customize it too much.

Ahmed S.
  • Industry: Media Production

Create high quality 2D animated explainer videos with characters for free now

Reviewed on 06/02/2021

My overall experience has been an amazing one and it will always remain my go to software for creating good quality 2D animated videos

Pros

What I like the most about Powtoon is the fact that its the only animated video creation software that has a free version aswell while other similar softwares are only offering paid plans

Cons

There’s nothing I dislike about Powtoon but it would be really helpful if we could share videos to social media platforms like Facebook and YouTube directly from the app

Phil S.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Used for 2+ years

The easy way to do animated videos. No experience necessary

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

It has been a great experience. I can create animated explainer videos in very little time that look very professional.

Pros

Powtoon is easy to use. I was able to set up an account and within 4 hours have an explainer video with a professional voice-over.

Cons

The initial versions were slow. That has been remedied in the latest versions. Sometimes if you forget to save you have a chance of losing your work.

• Used for 2+ years

The best animated presentation and video maker

Reviewed on 22/10/2018

Pros

You can get out of the box and give a presentation in a new way. This platform helps you to create presetantions that everybody is going to love. They have presets videos that can help you to create yours. Whatever you think, you can do it over there.

Cons

There should be more actions for each character

Marcos G.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Thank God we found this app to help us create amazing animated videos in no time!

Reviewed on 13/06/2018

Pros

As an editor and graphic animator, I found in Powtoon a perfect tool to develop and animate dynamic, modern and very attractive videos in a fraction of the time it would take to do it with conventional animation tools. The app has a HUGE animated elements data bate, which also gets updated constantly. You can start your video from scratch or use the templates available for you... You can even upload your own videos or images and use them in the videos... Your imagination is the limit!

Cons

Only one thing to say... As many other online video tools, working with a lot of resources and heavy projects can make the page crash or go reaaaally slow... Event though the progress usually gets saved, it annoying to loose precious minutes reloading....

Adelyn C.

Gets the job done

Reviewed on 27/07/2019

Pros

I used this to make a promotional video for a topic and the templates were easy to use. The animation made the video more fun for the viewers and so the software definitely serves its purpose.

Cons

Because of its high function, Powtoon can often be extremely slow (especially because it's cloud-based). In addition, there's a lot of features that require a Premium account, which makes people who don't need Powtoon that often subject to this kind of a frustrating purchase decision. Plus, because the templates are so widely used, it's difficult to differentiate your own video from others.