EmailOctopus

Write a Review!
Easy-to-use, affordable email marketing tool.

4.8/5
4.5/5
4.7/5
4.8/5

Brian
Brian

KISS for email marketing

Reviewed on 01/09/2020

I use it to send a weekly email to my former ukulele students (300+). I also send out 'tech tips' to authors on a semi-regular basis.

Pros

What I love most about email octopus is the simplicity of it. The interface is minimal by design which doesn't derail me when I just need to get an email out to my lists.

Cons

I would love it if they supported markdown.

Kyle

The most cost effective email solution with no hidden bolt on extras

Reviewed on 17/09/2023

Ace. Pull your CSV files through already and close your mind-numbing, overcharging, 2-audience-limited mail company and make the switch. If you don't like it you're probably a bot.

Pros

straight out of the box, the customer service is top-notch, real people, detailed responses not generic bs, and such an easy user interface you don't have to hunt for hidden features. fast, effective, reporting is top-notch. it takes care of everything without the expense of Mailchimp... actually, it makes Mailchimp look prehistoric in comparison.

Cons

Really nothing has popped up that's been an issue, no extra charges, nothing.

Rachel

Not Impressed due to lack of deliverabilaty and one poor customer service rep

Reviewed on 22/02/2024

Yuck. I am bummed, but the customer service was lacking, regardless of a free account or not. As a small, volunteer-run nonprofit, we are frugal, and apparently not paying equates to a not good experience.

Pros

The initial customer service was just fine, but when inquiring about bounce-back rate, the individual responding was simply "icky".

Cons

We experienced an extremely high deliver-ability issue, when we had zero with the previous platform.

When inquiring about the drastic swing between the two platforms, I was met with extreme disrespect by the customer service agent, [sensitive content hidden], who proved that he is simply not a good person. While I had positive experiences with other reps, he proved to not be one of them.

Any organization would be curious about why there was such a large swing in numbers, in post-actively reading reviews, lack of deliver-ability was a constant.

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback.

At the time we reviewed the bounce rates and we confirmed, via email, that these were hard bounces as a result of importing "Cleaned" contacts from your previous provider, Mailchimp. Cleaned contacts are contacts who have previously hard bounced or marked your emails as spam.

As a result, you had a high hard bounce rate (but otherwise strong open rates).

I appreciate poor results are frustrating and we are happy to help where we can. However in some instances we need to limit the support we can offer, particularly on our free plans, where our repeated recommendations and guidance aren't followed.

Wish you the best with your new platform.

Si
  • Industry: Publishing

I migrated from MailerLite to EmailOctopus … and I'm not going back

Reviewed on 01/02/2024

When I first signed up to EmailOctopus, it was pretty light on features and eventually I moved to MailerLite. EO has always been better than ML when it comes to customer service and price, but at the time, EO lacked a lot of features. A year later, I looked again, and found EO had made enormous strides to closing that gap.

Pros

Customer service and price (extra characters to get to the minimum)

Cons

EO is catching up to its competitors on features, but it's not there yet

Darko

Features, Pricing, Pros & Cons

Reviewed on 24/08/2023

EmailOctopus offers a clean interface, competitive pricing, and speedy support. It's preferred over competitors and has gained popularity among users since 2016. Despite some feature limitations, it delivers on user-friendliness, making it a valuable choice for email campaign and marketing.

Pros

EmailOctopus is appreciated for its user-friendliness, quality templates, drag-and-drop editor, and strong customer service. Its value is highlighted, along with positive feedback from Capterra and G2 reviews.

Cons

While praised for its ease and value, some users desire improvements in email list segmentation and additional template options.

MailerLite, Moosend, Brevo, Mailchimp and Email Monster

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

I chose EmailOctopus over these alternative products simply because of the price, simplicity and quality.
Mike

Everything Most Email Marketers Need at an Unbeatable Price

Reviewed on 19/07/2023

I needed an easier, more reliable platform for various email campaigns, and EmailOctopus delivered.

Pros

EmailOctopus is incredibly easy to use, yet still full-featured enough to fill the needs of most business owners. I appreciate the intuitive backend, handsome emails, and exceptional deliverability EmailOctopus provides in a simple and pleasing package. I've used other industry-leading emailers, but this is the one I enjoy working with the most.

Cons

Can't think of a thing I don't like about EmailOctopus.

David
  • Industry: Photography

Keep it SImple

Reviewed on 30/08/2023

Pros

Email Octopus is the only email program I could connect with. I can do almost anything with any program on a computer. But email marketing has always been overly complicated, in my opinion. I can write copy and set up great graphical design, but email marketing is like this bag of complications that the occasional email marketer doesn't get very proficient in. EmailOctopus simplifies all of this to the point that even if I don't become an expert in email marketing, I can still start and run a campaign and get good feedback on the quality of that email campaign. I like the fact that I can just relax after hitting the send button, and Email Octopus does the rest. For me, I like simplicity. Overly complicated doesn't work for me. Email Octopus is simple.

Cons

I am waiting for AI tools to be incorporated into EmailOctopus. I also think it would be cool if an email audience could be created right within the app.

Jacqueline

The best on the market

Reviewed on 09/12/2023

Pros

I am a relative new user to EmailOctopus, however it was immediately apparent that this service was far and away the best provider for my needs, and I have used what is perceived as the 3 best others on the market. Their ease of use, particularly when setting up lead capture / sign up forms is by far the simplest I've used but looks exceptional. I don't know why other platforms insist on making it so complicated when it's not necessary. EmailOctopus also has extremely good customer service support as well as constantly updating and improving their service so they are on top of market trends and customer requirements all the time. They are, quite frankly, a breath of fresh air in terms of email marketing, especially when you consider their cost. You really do get very good value for money with this company. I highly recommend them.

Cons

To be perfectly honest I can't think of anything I dislike. It does everything and more I need it to.

Elle
  • Industry: Publishing

Excellent Email Service

Reviewed on 03/08/2023

My experience with EO has always been personal, accessible, and prompt. Their site "Knowledge Base" is very helpful, and their email templates look good. Most of all, their mission aligns with mine. I couldn't be happier overall!

Pros

I'm an indie author, and I like having control of my content. EmailOctopus provides great templates and transparent analysis, plus it aligns with my values (responsibility for the environment!) which is a huge boost in my opinion.

Cons

When I started out, EmailOctopus didn't quite have the diverse functionality that I saw in other big email brands. However I have seen EO add functionality over time, and I myself am not super techy, so essentially I have been able to grow with the service. :)

MailerLite and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

sustainability, accessibility, value for price, transparency
Rishwa
Rishwa

A review of Email Octopus

Reviewed on 08/11/2023

Pros

It is easy to use. Offers in-depth analytics.

Cons

Adding rows in an emailer is a task.

Multi-column rows don't display properly on mobile.

George

Refreshingly Simple and Straightforward

Reviewed on 16/11/2022

An excellent tool for most email-marketing situations. I've used it on several client sites for letting them build their own newsletters and email lists, and have not had a single complaint about it. If you are looking for a tool to migrate your email list of hundreds of thousands of users to, EmailOctopus probably isn't for you—but if you're an average-sized business or creator, it's really my preferred option now, and much less spammy/convoluted than something like ConvertKit!

Pros

Email Octopus is really a great tool for—in my opinion—80–90% of situations where you need email marketing. For the large part it "just works", and I have no trouble getting my clients to use it, which cannot be said about other similar tools.It's quite easy to make great-looking forms and landing pages, and the WordPress plugin is a joy to use—makes things much easier!

Cons

If it's a great tool for 80–90% of situations, then I have to admit it has some shortcomings for those less-common use cases where you really need something robust and more flexible.Its API documentation is a bit lacking, for example, and while things "just work" for the most part, a consequence of this is that you don't have nearly as much control over precise details as you would with a larger—and admittedly more expensive—tool in this same spce.

ConvertKit, Campaign Monitor by Marigold and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

ConvertKit's branding is a bit of a turn off. It's either just...bad (remember that whole weird thing of temporarily being named "Seva"?), or has a very heavy marketer/car-salesman vibe to it.But it was a decent tool for a long time, so worth using.I came across EmailOctopus via its WordPress plugin, and was intrigued by the simplicity and refreshing marketing and design, which felt so much more "normal" and straightforward than e.g. ConvertKit.I started using it one some personal projects, and after loving it, am now using it with some freelance clients. A few of those are switched over from ConvertKit and we're all happier for it.

ConvertKit

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

There are situations where I'd go with a tool with more features and more developer possibilities (i.e. a more fully-fleshed-out, better-documented API with ideally some SDKs ready to go).But EmailOctopus is a great balance of focused feature-set, cost, design quality, and customer support, so it's becoming my go-to!
Anca
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Great tool for authors and bloggers

Reviewed on 20/03/2023

I had the pleasure of using EmailOctopus for my email marketing campaigns, and I must say it's an excellent tool. The platform is incredibly easy to use and efficient. One of the best things about it is the wide variety of templates available, as well as the option to create custom ones.Additionally, I appreciate the free plan that allows you to schedule your campaigns, which is a feature not always included in free plans with other email marketing services. Whenever I needed assistance, their support team was fantastic, quick to respond and receptive to suggestions.Last but not least, the pricing is very affordable, especially once you reach 2500 subscribers. Overall, I would highly recommend EmailOctopus to anyone looking for an excellent email marketing tool that is easy to use, affordable, and offers fantastic customer support.

Pros

My favorite features are:1. creating your own template2. scheduling campaigns

Cons

Although it integrates with StoryOrigin (the platform I use to deliver magnet readers and do newsletter swaps with other authors), EmailOctopus's API doesn't support list stats. Because I swap with other authors, it helps to show my stats (list size, open rate and chick rate). But the support team was quick to respond and open to suggestions, so I'm hoping they will fix this in another update.

MailerLite and Zoho Campaigns

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

MailChimp recently reduced its free plan from 2000 to 500 subscribers. I find their pricing too expensive (not for what they offer, but for what I need at this moment).

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

I chose EmailOctopus for 4 reasons:1. Higer number of subscribers in the free plan2. Affordable price3. Scheduling option4. It integrates with the platform I'm using to deliver my reader magnet.
Ahmed

The most to-the-point software I have ever used

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

My overall experience is very positive; I wished that I had switched earlier

My overall experience is very positive; I wished that I had switched earlier

Pros

EmailOctopus comes as an acronym for value-for-money; it does the job as efficient as a $4k/month software but doesn't leave the guilt when skipping some campaigns

Cons

With a lack of direct integrations, using Zapier is easy but costly. However, they provide a straightforward API that I'm planning to make use of, but of course, it'd be even better to have direct integration available

Amazon SES, MailerLite, Brevo and GetResponse

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

- Pricing- Pricing- Pricing- Overcharging - Simplicity of EmailOctopus that fits my exact needs

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

The only one that beat EmailOctopus pricing was SES, but it requires building all the features that EmailOctopus has from the ground up; all the others came short at pricing and other features.
Josephine

Excellent email management platform for small business

Reviewed on 27/04/2023

Pros

I like the ease of use, excellent and very responsive customer service, affordability.

Cons

Some of the email functions are not perfect; for instance, I sometimes have trouble setting the right font size for my email campaigns.

Jargon

This is the one!

Reviewed on 17/02/2021

10/10

10/10

Pros

EmailOctopus was SOOOOOO easy to use! I love it. I came over discouraged AF from trying MailChimp. Anyone whoever used MailChimp either has a degree in the software or hired someone. It is ridiculously difficult to use and it embeds itself into everything. EmailOctopus is so simple and effective. I got real-time results and I ended up making quite a bit of money emailing old customers. I will definitely be using EmailOctobus from here on out.

Cons

The only thing I didn't like is that I didn't find it sooner.

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

MailChimp was too difficult to use

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

EmailOctupus is easy to use and doesn't require much setup. Zero headaches, zero nonsense
Mary

I traded the monkey for an octopus and never looked back.

Reviewed on 24/10/2022

Overall I am thrilled to bits, and I am sure as time goes on that the software is only going to get better and better. I have suggested to many of my clients that they consider Email Octopus for their marketing emails provider.

Pros

I am a solopreneur who is in the process of building her email empire. At the moment, I have an absolutely tiny email list. I was really struggling to find a company that could meet my needs as someone just getting started. So many other providers were so expensive that I could not justify the cost of the program. Email Octopus is a company that will grow with me - and won't break my budget once I get to where I want to be. Building emails is simple - it works just like other drag-n-drop email builders, but the difference is that it is somehow even easier to use. The landing page builder is also simple and functional. The couple of interactions I have had with the Email Octopus team have been overwhelmingly positive.

Cons

Audience segmentation leaves some things to be desired. While Email Octopus is on par with Constant Contact and Flodesk in terms of segmentation, they don't have as many customization options as MailChimp. This isn't a problem for me right now at this stage, but it is something that I am a little worried about for the future.

Flodesk, Constant Contact and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

Price, ease of use, and the fact that they can grow with me.
Terry
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

This Octopus Has Tenticles

Reviewed on 21/06/2023

As of right now I'm excited to get started. If the information you provide from here on is as good as the information I have received so far I think this will be a long term relationship.

Pros

I'm new to Email Octopus but from the beginning I can see that they address all the areas that other email providers don't. They give segmentation ideas that I would have never thought about. I can see where this email service is different and cares about the success of their clients. I'm excited!

Cons

I wish that they would have asked all of these questions after I have had a chance to use the Octopus. Then i could have been more subjective in answering these great questions.

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

Most of the other services were difficult to maneuver through. The instructions were either vague or nonexistent. Help was hard to come by or took a long time to get an answer.

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

After a personal analysis I believe that the Octopus will be easier to work with and help me get to where I want to take the business.
Daniela

Beautifully Simple

Reviewed on 20/02/2023

Pros

It has focus. If you want to write a simple and nice e-mail newsletter to stay in contact with your list it is the best software I found. They have a Texteditor that is easy to use (like writing an Email), you need little steps to send an email and the software works on a mobile device. The integration of forms to wordpress are super simple as well. The Platform is intuitive and easy to understand, you don't need a master in Marketing to use it.

Cons

It would be nice if it had an app for Android. But at least the web-app is mobile friendly so you can even use it on mobile phone to write email without an app.

Amit
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

EmailOctopus Review - A Community Manager at an Impact NGO

Reviewed on 24/10/2022

I think EmailOctopus is a simplified version of something like Mailchimp; really impressed by the way it simplifies the entire process.

Pros

The ease of use (any day). Really easy to import/export the contacts; the analytics are accurate and easily digestable.

Cons

Certain glitches when it comes to drafting the email (like changing the image size or highlighting some text as bold). Rest all is great!

Reasons for Choosing EmailOctopus

Mailchimp was a) expensive; b) a touch hard to use for a relatively fresh marketing team

Reasons for Switching to EmailOctopus

EmailOctopus is a) fairly easy to use, b) relatively cheaper
John
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Highly Recommenr Email Octopus

Reviewed on 24/04/2023

It's really great, very easy to use and has all the capabilities I need.

It's really great, very easy to use and has all the capabilities I need.

Pros

The pricing! I had previously used MailChimp, but as my list grew it became way too expensive. The Email Octopus plan is much more economical, and it has most of the same features as MailChimp.

Cons

Having a cut and past list import function is something I miss that MailChimp had, but that is a minor quibble.

Constant Contact

MailChimp got too expensive

Matt

My review

Reviewed on 24/03/2023

I can say that it has been a reliable and easy-to-use software. The drag-and-drop editor and pre-built templates have saved me a lot of time and effort in creating visually appealing emails.

Pros

I've been able to set up automated email sequences to engage with my subscribers, and segment my lists based on their behavior, which has helped me to send more targeted messages.The integration with third-party apps and services has also been a considerable plus for me. I've also used the WordPress integration to add sign-up forms to my website and grow my subscriber list.

Cons

I've found the analytics to be somewhat basic, and I would like to have more advanced features such as A/B testing. Additionally, customer support can be slow to respond at times.

Happy customer for over two years.

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

Overall, the experience with EmailOctopus has been largely positive.

Overall, the experience with EmailOctopus has been largely positive.

Pros

EmailOctopus looks easy at first, but I will highly encourage anyone to look into the API for more serious use cases. Depending on your mileage, it may take you longer to integrate, but if you have worked with competitors, it only should take you a few hours at most to build a fully integrated flow with the API.

Cons

The editor is a little finicky at times and the documentation for power users could be made more visible. I would also expect better support for managing multiple accounts at this price point.

SendGrid and Mailchimp

The Octopus is cuter.
Ken
  • Industry: Entertainment

Email Octopus Save Money

Reviewed on 24/10/2022

The experience has been very good. Hopefully they will continue to improve the product with quick editing features.

Pros

It's integration with amazon ses is key which lowers the overall price when compared to aweber or other products.

Cons

Needs a better system for removing inactive users.

Gavin

EmailOctopus are very good

Very good.

Very good.

Pros

Easy to use and plenty of analytics. Works well.

Cons

The ability to search all of your email lists for emails instead of having to search each list individually.

Mailchimp Transactional Email

Better value
Gareth
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Excellent value for money with brilliant support

Reviewed on 02/03/2023

So far so good, we're just starting out but the support has been great and the tips sent through on email have also been useful.

Pros

Very good value for money - <25% the cost of similar software we've used.Easy to use.Quick and helpful support.

Cons

It's clear functionality is still being built, but for most email campaigns it'll do a cost-effective job.

MailerLite