SpamTitan

Anti-spam filter for business email. Vital email security.

4.5/5
4.4/5
4.4/5
4.5/5

475 Software options

Alex N.

Excellent Cloud based Spam filter for Office 365 Email

Reviewed on 08/07/2021

It has been pleasant doing business with SpamTitan. There sales team was low pressure, when I inquired with them they got back to me right away, they provided a live demo of the product, and they offered a free commitment free trial period so that we were able to directly compare it to our old spam filter solution before making a purchase.

Pros

Price is extremely reasonable for the service they provide. The competition has slightly more features but they offer them at 3 - 5 times the cost per user, which is in no way justifiable for the benefit (if any). Very easy to setup and offers great flexibility in how emails are filtered for different users.

Cons

One feature that is currently missing that our previous spam filter solution had was the ability to whitelist and blacklist email address and domains directly from the mail history report.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway

Reasons for Choosing SpamTitan

Our Barracuda was a physical email filter from when we hosted email on our own server. It was aging out and SpamTitan offered a spam solution that was a fraction of the price of Barracuda's own cloud service.

Reasons for Switching to SpamTitan

Price was the biggest factor. SpamTitan offered the best per user rate for a product that meets our needs.
Timothy E.
  • Industry: Facilities Services

SpamTitan works great -- until it doesn't

Reviewed on 02/10/2021

I am spending 30 minutes writing a review in the hope that other people will make a better first selection than we did. Our experience showed us that the product is only marginally reliable and their support is god-awful.

Pros

Was easy to implement and, as the title said, it worked great until it did not.

Cons

This is a cloud-based product. In early August, the product totally failed. (it was a Friday morning in the US, but dont remember the date as we have moved on to an)other product). Just noticed that we were no longer receiving emails. Rerouted DNS to cut SpamTitan out of the loop and email (unfiltered) started flowing. Contacted Spam Titan and they confirmed that the cloud instance on which we were running was offline for unknown reasons.
Our business is 24x7. We ran without Spam Titan on Friday, and Saturday, and Sunday, and Monday. We called for updates, on Friday afternoon, Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday. Each time, there were no updates and were told that we would updated by email and by phone if we left our best contact number.
Well, that never happened. Interestingly, we were not offered to route through any other web-instances.
By late Tuesday, we had already vetted another product and moved our production platform to the new provider.
Their support SUCKS. Moreover, I am going through the same goat-ropin' with trying to cancel my subscription. If you call them and make the appropriate selection, you always go to voice-mail (again, no callbacks). If you select "technical support", they have to connect you with Customer Service (one time out of two tries, I got a live CS person and they told me that they would have to connect me with "retention". Again, no one was available but was promised that someone would call me back -- never happened.

Syazila R.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

My choice for anti-spam software

Reviewed on 13/08/2021

Pros

SpamTitan is actually really worked, and has really decreasing the amount of spam email that i have receive before. It only need to be setup onetime, and most of the time, i don't even have to monitor the report as they rarely blocking a legitimate email that are sent to my email.

Cons

There are some feature that are not available at the moment on the software, like to preview the content of the spam email, without having to whitelisting the email. It will be a good feature, so user can totally know what is the content of the email that has been blocked from the main inbox.

Tristan S.

Setup was very straight forward

Reviewed on 13/07/2018

Once we got through the growing pains we don't have to field many helpdesk tickets from users getting use to this software coming from our previous spam filter. The other big benefit is that our previous spam filter service provider was about to double our yearly rate so your software ended up having a better spam detection rate and was also less expensive.

Pros

Easy to setup and maintain. The detection rate is fabulous. When we initially setup the software we were getting tons of false-positives but this subsided after several weeks of use after which time I assume the system started to pickup on the types of emails that we consider legit.

Cons

It would be better to have a more well rounded user portal. For those users with many false-positives in an email notice it would be good to have a way to release the emails without opening a web browser tab for each and every email to be released or at least bring the user to the portal login page so they can easily manage many releases if this is not possible through the email client. Not a big deal but it is a little annoying personally for me.

I believe in the beginning I was told that there was no user portal to then later find out that there was one. Not sure where the disconnect was but this feature ended up being quite crucial for the owner of the company I work for as he was used to working in the portal of our previous product (Barracuda).

The other problem that was noticed earlier on is that the daily summary emails would have these crazy ambiguous email addresses in them in the "From" field which I was told couldn't be modified. The owner of the company was very confused by this as the Barracuda would show us both the technical from address as well as what would normally appear in the mail client and would have more meaning to the end user and give them a better idea if the email was spam or not. I suggested at the time to the tech\sales person I was speaking with that this should be changed to at least show both "from" email address' so the end user is armed with more information to make an informed decision about the email being spam or not.

Jose A.

Great anti-spam filtering solution

Reviewed on 26/12/2017

Anti-spam filtering service and online archiving system. Great for security and cloud migrations.

Pros

There are several advantages of using this software. Apart from being an anti-spam filtering solution, it also serves as a temporary archiving service when you need to take your mail servers down for maintenance. You will never lose an e-mail. Great tool to have if planning an e-mail migration to a cloud provider. No more appliances and almost zero configuration apart from relocating your MX records. Highly recommended.

Cons

The customer support is not that great. It always appears that you are dealing with the same person over a chat or report ticketing system. I am not so sure how many engineers are working in support but I always seem to work with the same person. It is really hard to get a remote session with an engineer, most of the time you only receive ticket replies with instructions to be followed and it feels like trial and error. Nevertheless, the software works perfectly so you rarely need to use support. It is for extremely irregular situations that you would contact support.

Fernando S.

spamtitan

Reviewed on 07/09/2018

overall positive, support has been great, missing some features to make it a truly polished enterprise/msp/carrier top shelf product.

Pros

1) virtual appliances
2) clusterable
3) support ldap/s
4) user specific CP

Cons

a) does not provide reporting of how many mailboxes each domain is using in a given month - being a multitenant system and we with many clients, we lost this ability to have emailed/automated reports of how many mailboxes are active in a given month under each domain. seems easy to code and would provide value
b) really don't like how it handles aliases, treating them as unique 'accounts'
c) still has the spamassassin feel, the best of breed from back in the day was postini
d) really don't like that your appliance doesn't email us when it can't reach a downstream smtp target. sure we do snmp/wmi/pingdom monitoring for our key clients, but it's niceto have the edge system send an email/snmp trap when it cannot connect to a domain's downstream smtp server. agian, shouldn't be hard to code....

Anti-Spam Winner

Reviewed on 02/11/2018

9.5/10.

Pros

My inbox can get pretty busy after a long day of meetings. If I don’t manage to clean them, it can clog up my emails. Once I go through these emails, I notice that majority of it is spam and junk which I don’t personally need. Blocking and moving to my spam folder is time consuming and I could do better things with that time. SpamTitan captured me from the moment I tried it and has never failed me so far. I can now manage my inbox and know that I don’t have to deal with malicious threats.

Cons

Sometimes SpamTitan can send important emails directly to the spam folder. I usually check my spam folder once a week just to make sure I didn’t miss anything. It’s very rare though.Sometimes SpamTitan can send important emails directly to the spam folder. I usually check my spam folder once a week just to make sure I didn’t miss anything. It’s very rare though.

Raymond J.

Good anti spam software and easy to use.

Reviewed on 17/11/2020

It's good, but it could be better. I do like the regular feature upgrades.

Pros

Overal the software does a good job in stopping spam messages and there are not too many false positives. It's espicially easy to sign outgoing emails with dkim, also if you have multiple domains on your mailserver.

Cons

The software looks a bit outdated, could be more modern. It's possible to authenticate agains an AD server, but I would love it if it would support smtp authentication with local username and password. We have deployed the software on our own hardware. It's logical that it's licensed against a maximum number of users. However, it was crazy expensive if we wanted to add another cluster server, while not serving more users.

Mark S.

Efficient Email Spam Filter

Reviewed on 23/03/2020

Blocks everything it needs to from mail, virus's, malware, etc, does its job.

Pros

They offer free 30 day trial to test it out. If you have nothing in place currently, you will see that a spam filter is needed. Also say 99.99% rate but found that a bit more spam still sneaks into mailbox but does great job at getting rid of most of it.

Cons

There are other hardware pieces and software out there that works better as a spam filter. Barracuda products give way more control and feel the block rate is better as well.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway

Reasons for Switching to SpamTitan

Wanted to give it a try since offering the trial they do, didn't disappoint that's for sure.
Andrew P.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Spamtitan essential software

Reviewed on 17/08/2021

very good, easy to use, wouldn't use anything else

Pros

the confidence in viruses and spam not affecting our clients

Cons

nothing its fine, the product performs as expected

Eric M.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Good and easy anti spam service (online)

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

To me, Spam Titan has simplified my time managing spam for others. I like simple and easy to manage, and Spam Titan is exactly that.

Pros

I like the ease of use and the simple steps to get up and running. The effectiveness of the filtering is really good. I do not have many if any emails categorized as spam that aren't spam. It takes a week or two for the system to get tuned. All the users are happy with it and that simplifies my life too. The report system is nice and the option to be able to generate or change settings directly from the previous report email is perfect.

Cons

I would have like a way to easily select email in my exchange box and set them as spam.

Conor L.

Decent features for the price could do with some more features. Would still recommend.

Spam is removed.

Pros

Cloud based software so nothing to install on site. The dashboard allows you to see what emails have been quarantined, allows white listing of domains. Decent set of basic features. Price point reflects what you get.

Cons

The following lets it down:
1. The quarantine reports to the users are once a day, i get a lot of emails from staff saying they haven't received a email from a client and i have to log in to check, a quarantine email once a hour would be much better.
2. Some email which don't even match basic standards get block but not reported, took us a while to realise this as we had a ioT device misconfigured but had no idea Spam Titan was blocking it.
3. It can fail to deliver to the endpoint mail server, but doesn't report whether the email was successfully delivered or not just that it passed or didn't pass the spam listing, you have to go into the actual email and look at the headers.
4. Would be nice if there was a encrypted SMTP relay too that could scan email going out. Haven't had a compromised laptop or email account but could see how this would help.

Response from TitanHQ

Hi Conor,
Thanks for your kind review and your very helpful feedback on SpamTitan. It has been fed back into the product team. Their feedback is as follows:

1.This is true that SpamTitan sends one report per day, however all end users can request on-demand reports as many times per day as they wish, simply by clicking the On Demand Link at the bottom of the report.

2. All mail that connect to SpamTitan will be reported on in the Reporting > History tab. Along with all headers.

3. If a mail is passed to the mail server this will be shown on the Reporting > History tab. Along with the SMTP response the Mail Server provided.

4.SpamTitan will filter all outbound mail and can have TLS enabled for encrypted traffic.

We're constantly developing and trying to improve SpamTitan Conor, thanks again for the great feedback

Kind regards,
Dryden

Dryden Geary,
Marketing Director,
TitanHQ

Mercè C.

Wonderful

Reviewed on 14/01/2018

It helps having my email free and clean of spam messages. Also, it works as some kind of archives system.

Pros

I have been using Spam Titan for over a couple of years now and I have to say that I have never had any problem with it, actually, it has helped me a lot and IÕm very happy with the result. With time, my email has been used to subscribe a lot of newsletters and other stuff that I want to erase, and this program has been incredibly useful to make that possible.I had no problems to set it up since it is so easy to use and I started noticing its benefits soon after.

Cons

I have anything bad to say, just a suggestion. I would appreciate spam reports, or lists of the sending institutions, or that kind of things. Just a minor aspect.

Stephen H.
  • Industry: Libraries
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Works well for us

Reviewed on 17/08/2021

We've had a very good experience. This work as well or better than the previous product we used, with much less hassle and at a much lower price point.

Pros

I like that the learning curve is small, and that the support is accurate, thorough and timely.

Cons

Perhaps some form of AI spam filtering would improve things. More slips through than I care for, but some of that is self inflicted tweeks and address listings.

Andrew B.

Cloud Version is Great for Managed Services Providers

Reviewed on 12/04/2019

We are an MSP with clients of all sizes that desire managed spam protection. They need the ability to see what messages are blocked and whitelist if necessary, in a format that all of their users can understand. We appreciate the simple, clean interface that gives us the ability to quickly setup new clients, as well as quickly find and take action on messages that the client needs to find right away. The support has been great, as we are constantly swamped with duties and responsibilities of our own and do not have time to spend hours learning how to use a new platform or troubleshoot an issue.

Pros

The support is great and the cloud platform seems to work very well at integrating with either on-site Exchange servers or Office 365. I also like the single daily email to each user giving them the opportunity to review blocked messages and take action. Many other platforms swamp users with notifications every time something is blocked. This is very simple for us to setup and users to understand.

Cons

The customization is still a little lacking, would like more options to be able to adjust notifications. Also, most of the documentation is for the appliance version, which has a slightly different interface and setup procedure from the cloud hosted version. That said, support is still great and was able to walk us through each setup.

Onur E.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Successful Mail Filtering Application

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

SpamTitan is an application with basic mailgateway features that can be installed on virtual or physical servers. According to the claims of 99.9% successful results. In the process I tested. Antivirus is a bit delayed in the direction of the successful results.

Pros

The setup is fast and practical like a lot of mailgateway applications. With an existing configuration backup, you can immediately set up a new mailgateway and continue where you left off.

Cons

I think mail body filtering is also limited in actions and actions

Jeff K.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

We Like Spam Titan

Reviewed on 04/09/2018

Fantastic, just have to check the logs of how many unwanted emails are rejected compared to real ones, unbelievable percentage.

Pros

Easy for end users to deal with reviewing suspicious emails and deciding whether to accept or reject. Efficient product that doesn't delay emails coming through, can be discussing an email with a customer and it appears within moments so discussions can continue. Stops thousands and thousands of unwanted emails and learns quickly to new approaches by time wasters.

Cons

Not found anything we don't like yet with the product.

Erik S.

Good product with very, very good support

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Very good filtering engine, good performancve for our 800 or so users.

Pros

Stable, have not had one second unplanned downtime in 7 years. Does a good filtering job and good customasation optins for us. And the support guys in Ireland are very, very nice ond knowledgeable. And it is possible to call them, waiting time on telephone is always under 1 minute.

Cons

A bit troublesome to setup a cluster, but witrh help og support it was fixed in 7 minutes.

Gary H.

Spam Titan Anti-spam cloud service definitely did the job.

Reviewed on 18/12/2017

Spam free email

Pros

it is easy to set up and use and the support was always available. Several people in our organization had horrible spam problems. Spam Titan cloud service instantly stopped all the spam with very few false positives. The small handful of false positives were easily added to our white list and cleared.

Cons

The only con was that a few times, filtering through the emails trying to find and clear a blocked sender was a chore. the Filter engine wouldn't find the email in question by the senders address.

Paul K.

Have been using Spam Titan for years, top rate email protection.

Reviewed on 27/02/2018

Outstanding mail filtering

Pros

We've been running the server based version for years to protect a corporate mail server. The server component runs beautifully on very low spec hardware. (Retired workstation, etc)

The product provides a high level of threat filtering, as well as spam detection.

Cons

Actually in this particular case it's very difficult to find something to not like. If had to I'd have to say that the management interface is not pretty. But honestly that's totally unimportant in this type of product.

Great software especially for the price. Basic feature set though (great for the price)

Reviewed on 13/07/2018

The spam filter works well, and is much easier to configure than our previous filter. It's also a better value.

Pros

SpamTitan Cloud is very easy to configure and out of the gate it just works. Having said that, after a bit I started getting requests from my users, which I'd call SpamTitan (and they are very available and helpful!) but would be met with answers that in order to get that functionality I'd have to use the on-prem software.

Cons

I'd like to be able to have more control over when quarantine reports are sent. As it is, they are sent once every 24 hours, but I'd like to, for example, choose which time it sends, or send more than 1 a day for some users.

Donald M.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Time to Cancel

Reviewed on 11/01/2021

Good service as long as you don't need to cancel them. Be prepared to cancel your CC card.

Pros

The software did a great job filtering unwanted email.

Cons

When it was time to cancel there is no way to do this online. I submitted several tickets to have the account canceled. Spantitan to this day is still charging me for the software. I had to finally submit a fraud claim against them to get my money back. I emailed them to tell them what I was doing and they just decided not to answer or make any attempt to cancel the account. I'm going to have to cancel my card to finally get rid of them! No cool! I have several different monthly services on the same card. Do this day they have not canceled the account and I am still fighting with them - 3 months now.

Ray K.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

A product that just works

Reviewed on 12/09/2018

I think it is a very pro solution in fighting spam. We have used it several times in the past few years, to repurpose our IronPort Cisco boxes. Easy install [ once you make the VGA port available again] And they still run, we have re-extended our licenses several times. We have one that we have extended it's purpose as a spam filter for 4 years plus... So nice. Highly recommended!

Pros

I like the very understandable interface, everything is where it would logically be found.

Cons

The colors.. but that's personal.. for the rest .. excellent

Dan B.
  • Industry: Government Administration

No-nonsense option that just plain works

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

Pros

It's easy to use, and not overly complicated. The options you need are in front of you, and there aren't a ton of bells and whistles you neither want nor need cluttering up the interface.

Cons

Not sure if it was a bug or just the default configuration, but I had to open a support ticket to get mail reports working correctly. Once the issue was resolved, it's been smooth sailing.

MimeCast Email Security

Reasons for Switching to SpamTitan

Price. SpamTitan may not be the most fully-featured option, but it's a great cost/capability fit.

Response from TitanHQ

Dan thanks for your review, it's greatly appreciated.
Hopefully the "smooth sailing" continues!

Kind regards,
Dryden Geary,
TitanHQ

The implementation has been pretty straight forward and it just works

Reviewed on 13/02/2018

Users will not get 300 spam email a day in there inbox :)

Pros

It has most of the features that we were looking for and the ease of management is def the best feature. Once it is installed you can almost forget about it. There aren't many false positives and that for us is a huge plus.

Cons

The fact that it cannot be as customized as we would love too. We have asked for some features to be implemented however they haven't been yet developed.