Paychex Flex Reviews

3.9/5

Victoria
Victoria
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great payroll and hr employer/employee program

Reviewed on 24/03/2023

Overall I've had no problems with paycheckflex really other than the direct deposit not transferring over from my job profiles but other than that it's been a really awesome experience it's been easy to use friendly and just great it's very useful and I do appreciate the software and I continue to use it to this day

Pros

On some pros are that it's easy to use the interface is set up really user friendly it's sectioned off and your different jobs you know your pay your schedule your onboarding your your stuff you need to complete for HR or assignments places to message people ask questions you can view when your check gets deposited or written how many hours you worked all sorts of things like that and your vacation time and it's just it's really easy and it makes my job easier and it makes knowing what I'm doing for other people who are using it easy and I get paid on time if not early actually for me not everybody does though and it's all right there like I can print off my w-2s I can print off my tax paperwork message my employers or employees and manage my benefits and everything it's a really great system.

Cons

Honestly the only thing I don't like is if you have multiple employers on there and you put in your direct deposit information for one it does not automatically carry over to another job if you have multiple jobs at the same time so there for a minute I was getting a hard check because I thought that that information that I just entered for a previous in my other employer that I'm still working would go through to my next account but it does not you have to manually re-enter that

Sara
Sara
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Paychex Flex is a simple and straightforward system

Reviewed on 13/03/2023

Paychex Flex's interface has always been straightforward to use; the admin dashboard is full of useful information and it's impossible to miss any updates or notifications. Our less technically-inclined staff members have no trouble navigating the user dashboard.

Pros

I manage the company's administrative tasks, including Payroll, Onboarding, and HRS. There is no way to overstate the amount of time it has saved me. About 5 minutes are all I need to do payroll, and that's only when there's a new employee.

Cons

The ability to look at Payroll records dating back more than two years. There are numerous Payroll Representatives. Inconveniently, I have to deal with a separate point person for each functionality.

Aline
  • Industry: Medical Devices

One-stop shop, but not very customizable

Reviewed on 03/10/2019

Pros

It is very convenient to have access to the phone application, so you can access information and even run payroll from anytime / anywhere.
The add-on Stratustime allows you to track the non-exempt employees' hours and feeds directly into the payroll system.

Cons

Entering one-off payroll data such as expense reimbursement or a medical insurance payback has to be done at the individual level through individual checks.
it is difficult to customize access such as giving access to managers to accrue CTO days only, or giving them access to some HR info (number of vacation days, salary) without giving them access to all of it.
Also, the marketing is a little aggressive, the company offers so many other side services (writing your employee handbook, offering 401k, etc) that they call you too often with too many proposals, often different people for the same products.

Gloria
  • Industry: Medical Practice

User Friendly!

Reviewed on 19/03/2024

Pros

Easy access to W2
User friendly
Clocking in and out for shifts or lunches made easy
Having quick access to pay stubs
Being able to access information through their app is so great

Cons

I have no complaints in regards to paychex at all!

Katrina
Katrina

Paychex Flex is great for completing payroll

Reviewed on 15/09/2023

I appreciate being able to check on the 401(k) and have the money go straight into employee accounts, saving time and effort. Since insurance coverage is now related directly to who has enrolled in which plans, processing payroll has become much more efficient.

Pros

From either the employer's or employee's perspective, the website couldn't be simpler to use. Filters and stored views make it easy to customize your payroll experience based on your current needs.

Cons

Over the years, I've seen a few different specialists. Obviously, not everyone has the same potential. When my allocated person hasn't been able to help me, I've found that the online chat staff is quite responsive and helpful.

Fernando

Not for construction payroll

Reviewed on 09/03/2021

Good people but the tool is one vertical silo after another, we had multiple 3 way calls to coordinate our onboarding and there were many issues that I had to "hunt" for help.

Pros

The tax compliance is great. In a state where there are local taxes and in the ever-changing world of taxes, Paychex does a great job.

Cons

We are not able to generate our certified payroll reports because no one in Paychex knew how to set it up.

Bernadette
Bernadette
  • Used for 2+ years

Lacking Proper Customer Service

Reviewed on 22/01/2020

Overall the system is good but their customer service needs to be more organized and at least be able to help you look into something when you need answers.

Pros

We like that employees can log in and update their personal account info. such as new address ect. we also like that they can download their tax forms and so on

Cons

Every time we've had questions it seems as though no one there has the answers we need. This can be very frustrating!

Hannah

Easy to Use, Great Customer service

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Pros

The personalized set up and phone calls, agent and emails to get the ball rolling! I was nervous to begin, but they made it SO easy to set up AND automate

Cons

It costs a fair amount each month for a small business but it saves me money in the long run

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

It had a lower cost compared to other similar market rate products
Hannah
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Easy and Intuitive

Reviewed on 08/05/2024

Pros

Paychex Flex puts everything in one place and streamlines processes.

Cons

There's nothing id change about this tool.

Easy To Use

Reviewed on 29/03/2024

Pros

I mostly liked the simple way of reporting time and the user friendly of looking up company handbook info.

Cons

I can not recall any dislikes about the product.

Cody
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Great provider (unless your company is within 3 degrees of separation from cannabis)

Reviewed on 08/08/2023

It was great until it wasn't. Again, most of our essential services were terminated with only a 30-day notice, and their proposed solution was a handful of complicated workarounds while maintaining our current price, so we were pushed into fast-paced negotiations with alternative vendors.While we used it, though, it was a nice service, particularly the portal itself. Their interface is speedy and well-designed, and while there isn't much in the way of "customer success training" to help figure out exactly how to use it, it's very intuitive once you spend a few months with it figuring out how all the different pieces fit together.Bottom line, the system itself works very well, but don't lean too hard on the parts that involve human beings doing things & making decisions.

Pros

For what we paid, everything worked REALLY well. It met our needs & made payroll a simple and consistent process, which left more time to work on more operations-focused processes. Paychex offered multiple tiers of service & an array of useful add-ons which come together to provide a rich suite of functions for organizations of nearly any size.

Cons

After more than a year of quality service, they kicked us off all our electronic services with only a 30-day notice because we were a "cannabis business", which was not strictly true -- we weren't buying or selling marijuana, but rather a lab performing state-mandated compliance testing. We lost direct deposit, TaxPay, etc., but they wanted to continue charging us the same contract price despite massive loss of service.Customer support was variable quality--we were paying for the tier which included ongoing dedicated support, but our rep changed multiple times over the course of a year, usually without any kind of warning--often we wouldn't find out until we emailed in about something to find they'd been moved to a different department.

Kanwal

Great product

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Customer service is the only downside. Otherwise, we are happy with the system itself.

Pros

We used to rely on our accountant in the past. This is a great way to have access to anything at anytime. Another perk is that the employees are able to review their tax documents remotely as well.

Cons

This is not really related to the software itself, but the customer service continues to be an ongoing problem. God forbid if you receive a notice from EDD or IRS, you'll be chasing behind people to follow up. I wish whatever forms are submitted, we can have access to them from a particular page along with the outcomes.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

We switched our time entries to Paychex Flex too because Timesheets.com doesn't have a proper tracking system for paid time off.

Timesheets.com

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Price and everything being under one place
Lisa
  • Industry: Food Production

Paychex Flex Review

Reviewed on 13/12/2023

For the most part positive. Over the years the number one overall best thing about Paychex is their customer service. The platform is easy to use and for the most part user friendly but their customer service is great!

Pros

For the most part well integrated and easy to use. Customer service is stellar compared to other companies that I deal with. They are also very response to comments on proposed changes in the portal, etc.

Cons

Pricing! It has increased quite a bit over the past couple of years with an actual decrease in what we get. And paying for hardware is a lot of money!

Emmanuel
  • Industry: Accounting

Good product overall

Reviewed on 05/11/2019

It's a good product for a small to medium size company. Again, my review is from a user standpoint, not an administrator. I really have no negative remarks for Paychex Flex.

Pros

Recording time is relatively easy.
W2s and paysubs are easily obtainable
Easy to navigate

Cons

From a user standpoint, nothing really.

Paylocity

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

This was a decision made by upper management.

Paylocity
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Physician

Reviewed on 18/12/2023

Horrific, the took payroll from another company out of my account.

Horrific, the took payroll from another company out of my account.

Pros

Nothing, terrible product. I was originally promised coasts would remain the same my entire life with Paychex. [sensitive content hidden] LIED!

Cons

Staff and support. Salesperson lied! [sensitive content hidden] Stated my monthly costs would “never change”

Noam
  • Industry: Media Production

Fantastic Experience with Gusto!

Reviewed on 29/01/2023

Overall, Gusto has been an excellent choice for our business. We've been able to quickly and easily set up payroll and benefits, and their customer service team has always been incredibly helpful and responsive.

Pros

Gusto has been an absolute lifesaver for our business. Their user-friendly platform makes payroll and benefits setup a breeze, and the customer service team is always ready to help with any questions or issues.

Cons

The only downside I've noticed is that it can be a bit slow to calculate taxes, but that might just be due to the complexity of all the laws and regulations.

Yashovardhan
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Paychex Flex: The Most Flexible Payroll Solution around

Reviewed on 11/12/2022

I enjoy using Paychex Flex because it is simple to use and provides me with all the information I need to know about my payroll and employees. I can easily access my payroll information and run reports. The customer service is also excellent and they are always available to help me with any questions I have.

Pros

The most impactful features in Paychex Flex are the ability to manage all employee information in one place, the comprehensive suite of payroll and HR tools, and the ease of use. Paychex Flex is very easy to use, and integration with existing business processes is seamless.

Cons

The least favourable aspect of Paychex Flex would have to be its payroll processing. Reports have surfaced of payroll being processed very slowly, and in some cases, not processed at all. This can obviously create a lot of problems for businesses that need their employees to be paid on time.

Gusto and Paylocity

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex was chosen over Gusto and Paylocity because it offered the best combination of features and price. Paychex Flex is a comprehensive HR and payroll solution that is affordable and easy to use. It offers robust features such as time and attendance tracking, benefits administration, and online payroll.
Teena
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Powerful and feature-rich payroll and HR management software

Reviewed on 12/05/2023

Pros

Paychex Flex is its extensive scope of elements, which incorporates finance handling, time and participation following, benefits organization, and HR consistence. The product likewise offers a versatile application, which empowers representatives to see their compensation stubs, advantages, and time-off demands. Its easy to understand interface, which makes it simple for clients to explore and deal with their finance and HR errands. The product additionally gives broad customization choices, permitting organizations to fit their finance and HR cycles to meet their particular necessities.

Cons

sometimes programming can be delayed to load, and that the announcing usefulness could be more vigorous.

Marta

Paychex Flex

Reviewed on 07/10/2016

Procured the total HRO package (payroll, 401k, FSA, Time & Attendance, HRIS, HR Compliance and HR Generalist). There is no HRIS compatibility with the Payroll system, one has to run separate reports. Anytime Paychex updates their website, links do not work to the other features and or issues occur. Example, PTO accrual stopped working properly so we had to start accruing PTO manually and users not properly redirected to their links in the Learning center. On the payroll side the support is a black hole. Specifically any state registrations that are not properly loaded by Paychex and result in state tax fees which do not get resolved without employer paying penalty. Numerous emails do not get acknowledged. The implementation process is juvenile and lacks complete project management scope. Overall communication and execution by Paychex is so poor, one finally stops being frustrated and simply begins search for better system, which we are doing.

Pros

Compliance. Nice to have employee handbook online and learning center for compliance training is also helpful.
While Paychex payroll has strong workflow rules and meets general processing requirements, they make everything else so painful, therefore one could never recommend them. It would be like telling someone it's okay to cross a bridge that you know could collapse any moment and that you know is no longer maintained.

Cons

Assigned customer reps - unresponsive or not timely in responses until escalations. Paychex's lack of technology understanding - every time they upgrade they do not test what the impact to customer use and all their products. They had a big upgrade in late December 2015, their system was not accessible from early morning until the evening (end of year!). Multiple email and calls yielded no information. Finally at 4pm we get an email that they were experiencing problems and would be back live shortly. Who does that?
While learning center is a nice to have, spent an hour giving feedback and nothing changed, e.g., the CA Manager Anti- Sexual harassment training is 2.5 hours all in one shot. Not standard for training needs - asked them to break into 4 modules so it would not be daunting to busy leaders....crickets.

Erin
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Paychex Flex gives me peace of mind

Reviewed on 13/10/2017

Overall, I have been very pleased with Paychex as a company and their online platform, Paychex Flex.  I have the peace of mind that our payroll is in capable hands.

Pros

It is easy to use and it gives me a peace of mind that our company's payroll is in capable hands. Their customer service is great. Each customer has a dedicated payroll specialist, so every time I have a question I am talking to the same person. Our payroll specialist has always been very helpful any time I have had weird situations or questions.

Paychex withholds all the appropriate taxes for both the employee and employer and then files them when the appropriate government entities. Our business is located Ohio, which has a complex tax structure including both state and local taxes. Paychex has saved me so much time and stress.

Cons

I wish that Paychex Flex tracked pay increases. That is the only thing that I liked better about our previous payroll provider. Our previous payroll provider had a tab that showed an employee's salary history and the date of each raise. Paychex Flex does not have this, so I have to track it separately.

I wish they had a more intuitive reporting function. The standard payroll reports are laid out very well and are very easy to run, but if I need to run a report that it out of the ordinary, I usually end up calling my payroll specialist because I can't find the report. To be fair, the couple of times this has happened I have been looking for a report having to do with workers comp and since workers comp is run by a government entity in Ohio it has some added complexities.

Paychex has some unfortunate downsides

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

Typical clock in/out and benefit tracking.

Typical clock in/out and benefit tracking.

Pros

Very easy to view clocked in users, people on break, etc. As a manager it is easy to view and approve hours. It allows for a convienant way for staff to access paystubs and documentation.

Cons

Employees often have trouble with the site when punching in/out - the easiest to access option are buttons that move, and as a result it is easy to click the wrong button! Way more time clock corrections that we used to get. It is very difficult for staff to tell how much vacation time they have remiaining, they constantly have to ask for confirmation - very frustrating. It isn't always easy to tell that as a manager either, so we have had issues where people took more time than allocated. THE most frustrating aspect of it is when someone misses a punch - sometimes adding a missed punch is just a matter of clicking a box and filling in the correct time, other times switching a type of punch - like from start break to start meal is ridiculous and you can end up with a big mess. Have never seen a program that is so irritating to handle corrections like that. As a manager I hate working with this program.

Devon

PayChex Flex is not that flexible.

Reviewed on 28/05/2020

Intuit should concede with their payroll platform and buy paychex, and paychex should enhance their integration and modernize the platform to something more agile like quickbooks. Employees should be able to onboard easier just as if they were buying something on Amazon. All of the 3rd party vendors that seem to be value added services are just more portals and passwords needing to be centralized.

Pros

When it works and the overloaded staff can actually assist you, it is an absolutely awesome service. I have used PayChex since about 2015. Back in the day my first representative was the absolute most amazing advisor and gave me confidence when speaking with her because I could tell she knew her job. Over time as we added more states and switched companies, our SUI numbers became switched, bank accounts and invoicing was not aligned.

Cons

Besides the reports that you are inundated with, the platform feels like it can actually perform, but truthfully it is pitiful java platform. The two factor auth is great but gets on my nerves and the fact that you cannot integrate with other identity providers or into your actual backoffice systems is a shame.

Amy
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Paychex Flex is a robust payroll solution that can accommodate almost any payroll need.

Reviewed on 26/07/2018

Pros

Together with the company's team of payroll specialists, Paychex Flex is an effective payroll solution for small and large companies alike. As administrator for a small company, I appreciate having permissions to manage my company's staff in the tool while allowing the payroll specialist from Paychex to key in the biweekly payroll data. This delegation of duties gives me control over the the job functions that are most important to me.

The General Ledger integration with QuickBooks Online is configurable and works well once set up to meet your business needs. The 3rd party integrator's staff is professional and diaplays an expert knowledge of both Paychex Flex and Quickbooks.

What I like most about Paychex Flex is that our tax returns and payments at the Federal level and for most states are done for us automatically.

Cons

The browser interface is unattractive and not always self explanatory. The client id, which is needed on all email correspondence with your payroll specialist and is displayed on the banner at the top of the screen, cannot be copied and pasted into emails.

The filter feature on the Person screen doesn't work consistently, and I frequently have to reapply the same filter so that only active staff appear.

Online help for the software can be misleading or inaccurate. After following instructions for 1) giving access to staff and 2) adding a new state for withholdings, without success, I learned from my payroll specialist that I didn't have the ability to perform either task through the software.

Heidi
  • Industry: Design

STAY AWAY FROM PAYCHEX

Reviewed on 13/04/2021

Terrible- each Paychex employee has provided the bare minimum servies, has not been accurate in the information they provided regarding the services, and once their job is done in their eyes they dissappear. Only the HR Rep who wrote our handbook was straight forward and honest regarding the services to be provided or not. It has been a nightmare trying to terminate our relationship with Paychex. They could care less about us as clients until they realized we were terminating their services- now they just don't answer questions and won't follow through closing out our 401K program and returning our money to us.

Pros

NOTHING. We thought we were buying payroll services that would support this firm. From the marketting rep who outright lied about the review services to the 401K rep who lied the servies was" practically free" we feel we have been scammed or ignored for years

Cons

There is NO SUPPORT from this firm. They don't know who their clients are and they don't care. We terminated their services Jan 1, 2021 and they have dragged their feet in closing out their business with us, their automated termination program doesn't work, and they are still billing us for "administatin servies" on the 401K program which we are no longer contributing to- Paychex is making interest on our money and refusing to efficiently close out the program

Anna
  • Industry: Packaging & Containers

Paychex Flex - great Payroll your payroll needs

Reviewed on 07/12/2023

As far as my overall experience, I found Paychex Flex to be one of the most easiest, user friendly payroll software's that I have used. It's also always great to have customer service support for whenever you encounter a new entry/deduction or change and just want to make sure you enter it in correctly. It's nice to always have support and a 2nd set of eyes if needed. Would I recommend this to others??? Yes, I would!

Pros

When working with payroll, it's always beneficial when they system is user friendly and the menu items are simple and straight forward. One thing you don't want is to process payroll incorrectly or have to guess at how to properly enter a change. I would also like to mention that switching to Paychex Flex allowed cost savings :) This was definitely a plus!

Cons

The only con was using a separate timekeeping system.