Productboard

Customer-driven product management system

4.7/5

Eric P.

Simplest way for sophisticated insight consolidation, prioritization, and roadmap management

Reviewed on 26/10/2019

We had an alignment and communication problem that we had to solve. Plain and simply, productboard gives us a clear way to communicate and collaborate on our product roadmap. And gives our team insight into how we think about and prioritize initiatives.

Pros

Consolidating insights from myself, our customers, and our team. I also really like the different views I can create and ways I can prioritize things by release and various scores. The public feedback forum is also really, really nice. Then the beautiful roadmap view is just icing on the cake.

Cons

Doesn't integrate to Clubhouse, which we are moving to from JIRA. We also didn't use the JIRA integration because we were on New JIRA. Which is why we are now on Clubhouse, which I'll save for another review. Also, I feel there are a couple of elements missing when looking at reporting and ongoing maintenance of tickets... but that's hard, and is probably something they're thinking about.

Aha!

Reasons for Choosing Productboard

Well, JIRA isn't really a great tool for roadmap planning and prioritization. So the reality is that we _needed_ to do more strategic product planning, and JIRA didn't cut it.

Jira

Reasons for Switching to Productboard

Aha! was simply just too much software for what we needed. productboard gave us exactly what we needed at our stage, and was more intuitive to pick up and get going.
Pieter S.

Invaluable for those who really care about user input

Reviewed on 04/11/2019

Pros

Linking user insights to feature development; Making insights available to developers, designers and others that are working on a feature; Communicating the roadmap with users; Collecting insights from portal as well as other channels in one place."

Cons

It still lacks multi-language support (any other language than English) and the ability to directly interact with user insights.

Sean C.

Finally one that works.

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

Pros

Easy to hack and smash without corrupting data. Linkage between other systems that doesn't get in the way. Different views for managing tactical & presenting strategic (using the same set of data). It doesn't look or behave like Jira or Aha! (I feel like your designers must scrutinize everything).

Cons

I'm not sure there's anything bad to say

Inga V.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Constant feedback and feature management

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

Pros

I'm amazed by productboard UX that is totally covering the needs of PMs. And, eventually, the needs of the users. We can easily track all the insights and convert them to features. Amazing customer service btw.

Cons

Hm..have nothing bad to say about it. I'm using it around a year now and have never experienced any issue.

Tobias J.

Great for planning, prioritizing and communicating product development

Reviewed on 06/11/2019

Planning, prioritizing and communicating product development across many individual products / modules.

Pros

Higher level planning of product features with details in Jira. Ability to link stages (e.g. Design, Dev) to their individual Jira Epics. Communication of Roadmap and easier prioritization and capacity planning. Link customer feedback to Features.
Great and responsive customer support when it's needed.

Cons

Somewhat high price per admin user. We'd add more users at a different price point.

Andrew B.

Amazing Flexibility and Customer Service

Reviewed on 23/12/2019

I was trying to produce a centralized product backlog and tool for managing the development of requirements through to hand-off to the Dev team.
Additionally, I was looking for a way to communicate the product roadmap to clients. ProductBoard rocked this requirement!

Pros

I love the flexibility of the product. Whenever I have had a need that I think did not quite fit - the team has been able to show me how I can configure the product to meet my request.

The customer service is fantastic! Response time has always been incredible. They also seem to take suggestions for new features and improvements seriously. Sharing their product roadmap with their customers (using their tool to do it) really shows the power of using their tools.

Cons

The only thing I would say is a 'con' so far is that their exports could be improved. This is on their product roadmap though.

This tool has quickly become integral to our product process.

Reviewed on 05/12/2017

We were able to set up a repeatable, teachable process for centralizing, processing, sharing, and incorporating feedback in order to make valuable evidence based product decisions.

Pros

The Insights section is the most efficient tool I have found for parsing feedback from all of the sources we have. From in-app feedback, internal feedback, to customer interviews, and field observation notes, we can capture it all in one place and take out actionable insights. We use this to build a case for evidence based product decisions that come from the voice of the customer.

Cons

We have a lot of data about our sources in SalesForce that we would like to use to help evaluate the feedback. We want to make sure that other attributes like Customer Success Score, NPS, and ARR are taken into account when weighing feature priority. A SalesForce integration would make that part of the app much more valuable.

Mohamed F.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Productboard

Reviewed on 22/12/2019

Pros

I like that it gives you a lot of options as a product manager. Much better than to use spreadsheets. It's a great tool for conducting your work as a PM.

Cons

In certain areas, I think I would like to have a bit more flexibility in editing certain things.

ProdPad

Reasons for Switching to Productboard

It was more advanced. It was had a much better UI and UX also.

Productboard has been a gamechanger

Reviewed on 13/11/2018

This tool, while it is lacking some features we would love to leverage has greatly increased ability for our company to search, store and leverage our customer's insights.

Pros

Love the features board where I can see and view all insights. Love the addition of being able to communicate with customers.

Cons

Lack of API
Lack of automations
Lack of reporting.

• Industry: Program Development

productboard such an easy tool!

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

Very easy to use from a user perspective. I only contribute things and review things within the boards of our organization but overall I really like the transparency and visual alignment it allows for to group subjects or items together.

Pros

It's very easy to use for both a user and from a client standpoint. I'm on our biz dev team and based on conversations we have, we add needs or gaps to the feature roadmap. Very easy to add notes directly within or to send emails to a specified address that automatically adds them into productboard.

Cons

A little cumbersome when searching for content. I will search for items that I know are in the board and no results come up. I'm sure it's just a semantics issue most of the time though!

Gasper S.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Loving it

Reviewed on 17/12/2019

Productboard has definitely been transformational for our product management team.

Pros

There are three things that productboard really helped me a lot.

First, it created a workflow for us to process customer feedback. The 'select text from customer feedback / assign to a feature / prioritise' workflow is super helpful. It's easy to use and fast - I can process a lot of customer messages really quickly.

Second, after a period of use we now have a map of all the features that our product has. This is in itself a nice bonus. It helps us to see the structure of the product and allows us to identify areas ripe for improvements.

Third, it helped us collect feedback from our users via the product portal. This enables our users to have a voice and shape the product roadmap directly.

Cons

I find it hard to distinguish between objectives and drivers. Perhaps consolidating to one would make sense.

It would also be great if they could add a way to collect NPS score from the users or run other quick surveys.

George H.

Productboard is a great tool

Reviewed on 04/11/2019

Pros

I love the fact that if used correctly and as intended, it can give you a pretty accurate picture of the views of stakeholders. What I mean by if used correctly is that the users must keep in mind that they are filling out information and metrics that the actual reporter should have. You are analyzing data and feedback on the client's behalf and my opinion or the teams, should not weigh in so much. Unless of course, they submit feedback that is representative of how they feel.

Cons

As mentioned above, it is hard sometimes to detach yourself from the feedback you are writing up and often I find myself arriving at a conclusion and then re-editing other feedback. This is by no means a limitation of the software but it might be worth thinking about.
I also think that the platform could use better and more screen takeovers and walkthroughs.
As a first time user, I abandoned the product a few times but now that I am comfortable in it, I would never

• Industry: Computer & Network Security

Product-led product planning tool with great planning twists

Reviewed on 12/06/2018

Fast roadmapping, dynamic roadmapping, feature organization, release planning, feedback organization.

Pros

productboard makes it obvious and easy to coordinate feedback, features, and roadmap. Instead of investing in "power" features for more complex roadmaps, productboard focuses on ease of use and straightforward roadmap creation. The ability to tie features and releases to discrete pieces of feedback or single customers is a tremendous value add.

Cons

More integration support in the future would be a big value add. What exists now gets the job done, but could be expanded. Otherwise, it's a great product!

• Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Exactly what you need to manage a product.

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

We now have the ammo to argue intelligently for more development resources, and point directly to the features we could build with X number of development hours.

Pros

The surface level defaults make sense to get started, and then when you need depth it's there. The software doesn't push you toward a particular methodology to make decisions about setting your roadmap, but gives you the tools to understand every data point on a feature (how many people are asking? which user groups?) so you can prioritize however you see fit.

Cons

It could handle subfeatures a little better.

Dylan E.

Prettiest service for product management and development tracking

Reviewed on 06/06/2018

An all-in-one solution for our feature requests, development roadmap and customer feedback.

Pros

It contains a number of good tools to view all your entries/tickets in different ways (grouping by categories, creating a roadmap etc.) and all of them have proper sorting and filtering options. The design is quite striking and elegant and it is easy to get started with it; the user experience is quite intuitive.

Cons

There is no free version and it can quickly become quite expensive if you want multiple 'contributor' accounts.

Roman P.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

So far, I can't think of any alternative for Product managers....

Reviewed on 03/05/2018

I managed to help my company go from 2050 tasks in Jira and 7 various spreadsheets to one unified place for all the product discussions.

Pros

- features, obviously
- UX & UI are just right for this type of software
- documentation, FAQ & Support are just awesome
- integrates with virtually anything you might need, except for the Gitlab

Cons

- Jira statuses are not displayed from within the productboard
- more cons will be coming as our company uses the productboard more

Thomas R.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The clear winner of product management software

Reviewed on 03/02/2018

Ease of use, and the exact features I need to build great software. The ability to measure user feedback and tie it directly to features.

Pros

Extremely well-designed, super user-friendly, and the ability to turn features off / hide them from view means you can keep your workspace pretty minimalist if you want. And I do prefer my screen that way.

Cons

I wish it had an iphone app, and that there were better ways of access it from mobile.

Chris T.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting
  • Used for 6-12 months

Not sure I see the full value prop for the money

Reviewed on 24/07/2021

Pros

It has a pretty UI and can handle a lot of data, plus give you the ability to really organize it effectively. Does a good job for early customer discovery.

Cons

It seems to be too expensive for what it does (at the tier we use it at anyway, which is in the middle). For someone who is great in Microsoft Excel, you could organize a lot of the same inputs it for a fraction of the cost of Productboard.

James B.

Simple onboarding, yet powerful tool

Reviewed on 04/06/2018

Enabling a structured capture of large amounts of customer data, as well as the prioritization of features. ProductBoard saves us 10s if not 100s of hours every month.

Pros

I can see everything at once, and then pivot or filter the data depending on the problem I'm investigating.

Cons

It's fairly expensive. The value is there for the money, but gaining access to this much budget is a bigger process than just "sign up and pay".

Bryan C.

Reviewed on 04/11/2019

Allowing our customers to vote on the public feature request board has been very helpful.

Pros

Well designed and easy to use software. It gives all of the features I need and has a depth to it that I know we will use later on.

Cons

Nothing at the moment. Everything works well and it is well designed.

David M.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Transparent feature requests

Reviewed on 02/10/2020

Pros

Really simple to add requests both by customers and the team. Single sign on available. Possibility to vote for existing requests.

Cons

Searchong for already submitted requests can be difficult. Constant moderator required.

Romuald R.

Great all-round product management tool

Reviewed on 09/05/2018

Pros

It manages most aspects of product management in a very straightforward manner, keeping it simple yet powerful, unlike some of their competitors (e.g. Aha, too complex to implement; or craft missing key features and buggy)

Cons

The lack of automated communication back to customers when a feature is progressing would be my only negative so far

Kunal G.

I think this is the right approach to product management

Reviewed on 09/01/2018

Pros

It's hard to imagine anything more comprehensive, from customer feedback on the using end, to customer feedback on the roadmap end, and everything in between - PB has you covered

Cons

It's definitely a little buggy, and glitchy and I wish that weren't true since everything else is really great.

Harsh G.
  • Industry: Information Services

Great for collecting all feedback in one place

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

Pros

All in one solution for collecting feedback, prioritising what to build, and communicating in progress/just launched features to users and other stakeholders

Cons

Takes some time to figure out how to use

Hana T.
  • Industry: Cosmetics
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

The billing mechanism of individual plan is awful experience

Reviewed on 23/01/2020

After spending some time on working with the tool and really enjoying its quality, I was sure that I would stay with it. But experiencing tricky non-transparent billing is just cold shower making the tool same as any other, just half way through to full value.

Pros

It is for sure well thought through tool.

Cons

It is not mandatory or sole source ... so charging individual for adding member without any alert or notice that just selecting someone as member from drop down menu automatically apply charging to your card is really awful experience ruining any value for the product