Aplos

Accounting and giving software for nonprofits & churches.

4.5/5
4.2/5
4.4/5
4.7/5

156 Software options

Brandon B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Simple and easy, but with advanced features for those who need it.

Reviewed on 09/10/2018

We began using Aplos as a brand new church. They helped us every step of the way as we grew - absolutely stellar customer service! We still don't have the complexity that some larger churches do, but every time we have needed to add something, the capacity has been there. The one exception was the lack of payroll integration, which I understand that they are now adding but we have not used yet. What I love about the product is that it is easy for us who are new to accounting to use, but also robust enough that our treasure (CPA) is able to use it in more complex ways.

Pros

Cloud-based Accounting with multiple user accounts makes it easy to keep finances updated.
Clean, simple, straight-forward layout makes use easy.
Super-responsive customer service are always there when you need them.
Bank integration makes it easy to import transactions.
Contact management.
Reports are quick and easy to generate with customized data.
Ability to connect to online-giving.

Cons

At the moment we are unable to link families within the contact management system.
There are awesome graphs and charts on the dashboard, but unfortunately they do not have a lot of customization options or the ability to easily export.

Bart G.

Floats to the top

Reviewed on 18/01/2017

Aplos is doing the job for me. Some things are frustrating, but mostly, it's better than doing things by hand or by spreadsheet. Occasionally odd things happen. For instance, it's now January 17, and the home page is telling me that my YTD income is different from my monthly income. This can't be true in January. Similar things happen in some reports. The balance sheet will say that a fund has X dollars, but the report for that fund will say Y dollars. So there are some quirks to get around, but it's no worse than making a spreadsheet (or other software that knows nothing about fund accounting) behave. I like the reports Aplos generates. Especially at the end of the year, when everyone in our congregation wants a statement for their taxes. It's really just one button. If I were the boss of Aplos, the first thing I'd change is that I'd clean up the wasted screen real-estate. There's a button on the bottom right that has a bad habit of covering half the number I want to see, and pop-up "alerts" occasionally disrupt my work. And the box the pop-ups come from is also wasted screen area. Actually, this box keeps telling me I'm 85% set up. It's wrong. I'm as set up as I want to be. I can't see how to make the box go away, except to buy more product which I don't need. This amounts to a pop-up ad, and not the good kind. So this isn't a glowing review. But software nowadays is written so poorly, that bare competence floats to the top. Aplos is better than anything else I've used, but that's not saying a lot. If they raise the price again, I'm going back to spreadsheets.

Pros

Fairly clean interface. Most reports are close to what I want.

Cons

It's still buggy. Amounts that should match, don't always. The cost has tripled in the last 3 years.

Response from Aplos Software

Hi Bart,

If the numbers are off by a few dollars, this may be due to rounding. If you¿d like, our Support Team would be happy to look into this to give you a more specific answer. Please feel free to reach out to our Support Team at [email protected]

For the Setup alert:
You can click on the Go To Setup button and choose some of the options like, I don¿t want to set Starting Balances. Or, there are feature options that you can say ¿no¿ to, like Contributions. This should help clear that alert.

Also, sorry that the bottom right icon is a bit pesky. We want you to be able to contact our Support Team if you ever have questions, so that¿s why it¿s there, but we realize that it can sometimes get in the way. That¿s a suggestion that we¿re happy to pass along to our development team.

The Aplos Team

Debra S.

New to Fund Accounting

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

I do not have another Fund Accounting Software to compare Aplos to, but I can't imagine that anyone could offer better Customer Service. They are very helpful, and help resolve issues. This would be a number one reason for using Aplos, not knowing if other companies provide the same level of Service...I can't say if they are the best, but they are very helpful.

Pros

I really like the Reconciliation process...it is simple to understand and works perfectly. I value the support that Aplos provides. I am new to Fund Accounting, with NO experience at all, but I have been with Aplos for over a year and they are always willing to take the time to help me figure out how to fix what I didn't understand and a good way to proceed.

Cons

I am unhappy that I cannot find a Vendor to do a new A/P Entry..instead have to scroll thru pages to find the one I'm looking for, a simple search would suffice. I also find reporting to be a bit confusing....it is not intuitive...it sometimes takes several steps (that are not obvious) to get the report I need. Additionally, I believe that the price per month should include a second user, for dual control purposes, for instance a second person to do Bank Reconciliations.

Patty B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Aplos far out performs its competition

Reviewed on 04/04/2018

Overall, this is the best software for the money and I highly recommend it both for the product and the customer service.

Pros

The set up and functionality of the software is wonderfully easy. I've been using it for a little over a year and the security of having it all online and not having to worry about backups or workstation failures is great. Report flexibility is fantastic. I can create any report for any time period with ease. The customer service people are generally very helpful and on the rare occasion that a question doesn't get answered, the second attempt is always successful. But, it's rare to have to call back.

Cons

The only problem is that the donor statements are not posted from any screen other than the contributions screen. You cannot effect the donor statement from A/R, A/P or AJE's. You must then prepare a deposit and mark it to NOT post to the system. While this is a small inconvenience, it is not highlighted in the tutorials and takes a couple head scratching hours to figure out when first using the software. Once understood, it's a simple workaround.

Michelle W.

The Best Software purchase we ever made and the Only company we will ever use

Reviewed on 20/09/2021

I have enhanced my knowledge by taking the free classes and learned Fund Accounting

Pros

Where can I start.... this software is designed for little experience in Fund Accounting or experienced people. We are a small organization and we have Benefitted Greatly. Covid has impacted the churches and Text to Give has helped us because Aplos stays on the cutting Edge with their software. I have enjoyed the classes that are Free with the software. I have also called their outstanding customer service and been helped with every issue. If you are looking at this as another expense..... you are Wrong this will be the BEST purchase you have made. I like being organized with Ministry financials and you can print off reports quickly for meetings.

Cons

I have nothing to say about this software but it is excellent

Linda J.

Aplos Fund Accounting

Reviewed on 23/11/2016

I have used the basic version Aplos for our small nonprofit foodshelf for nearly a year. I am a novice at accounting, so I started with the fun, informative teaching videos and it all made sense. Initially setting up the accounts we needed took some thought, but it was up and running in a short time. I'm able to enter transactions quickly, make changes easily as needed, and run all the reports I need for our payroll taxes. I love the fact that it doesn't use more complicated terminology, like "customer, vendor, employee" like QB, because that's not what we call our donors and suppliers. I like the check printing function, too, but it would be great if Aplos could print deposit slips. I have to re-enter into QB and then print it out, or do a handwritten deposit slip. Other than that, I am very happy with Aplos. Have not needed customer support yet, except to ask if it had a deposit slip printing function. My answer was prompt and courteous. Our Board was pleased that we were able to get a discount on the monthly rate since we have a small budget, and the fact that Aplos is cloud-based means both the treasurer and foodshelf manager can access the software without going onsite. Definitely a PLUS! Bank reconciliation is a breeze, too.

Pros

I liked the ease of navigating the different functions, ease of setting up accounts and budget, the cloud-based format, the number and types of reports that meet all our needs, and the easy bank reconciliation function. Our small nonprofit got a monthly discount. Training videos very to-the-point and entertaining too.

Cons

I wish Aplos had a deposit slip printing function in the basic version - not sure if they do in the upgrade?

April D.

The Aplos Advantage

Reviewed on 30/06/2020

Our church accounting is much more efficient with Aplos. It is easy to set up and use. I'm able to keep track of multiple accounts with ease. Two of us use the software almost daily and have never had any issues or hiccups.

Pros

I love that this software is cloud based. All entries are automatically saved and easy to correct or delete. Because it is "in the cloud" I can access from anywhere.

Cons

Instead of using accounting terminology, they use simpler words or methods. It all makes sense, but I had to get used to words such as tags and purposes.

Response from Aplos

Thank you, April, for the review! We are happy to hear that you like our product and our tech support.

Gregory Y.

Excellent Software!!!

Reviewed on 13/12/2017

Pros

This software does it all for non-profits. It's ability to track donors, provide year-end contribution statements, payroll and W-2's, as well as track by budget every transaction helps our small church in ways we'd otherwise have to hire an accountant to do. I'm looking forward to a year of reports that fit our needs. The customizable reports and standard reports make this the flexible program we need around here. It even does a few things that we don't need - like printing checks. Compared to QuickBooks, this just FITS the non-profit better. It's fund accounting helps us manage ear-marked monies as well as multiple accounts.
Additionally, the ability to use the software over multiple platforms makes it handy, too. Our treasurer can do his work from home, and we can print the reports anytime from the church. Department heads and the pastor can always check where their budget areas stand. Pretty useful.

Cons

While it's supposed to provide an automatic link to banks, our small-town bank does not work with this program directly. BUT, it's simple to download transactions to a file and import that file into Aplos. Just assign budget categories with transactions - and voila! Reconciled!
Of course, this is web-based - demanding internet access. While they say it's quite secure, hackers are always out there. And this makes it a bit vulnerable - potentially.

Leia T.

Working with Vince

Reviewed on 09/04/2021

Please see the PROS comment.
[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] WAS THE BOMB!

Pros

The software is pretty easy to use for the most part. But what made it even better was the fact that [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] literally helped assist me with some features in my books I wasn't sure of. I was so confused, and he was SO PATIENT! I love being connected to great customer service and overall great people!

Cons

I hate that I have reconnect my bank account on a monthly basis

David M.

a wonderful transition from QB

Reviewed on 07/12/2016

Aplos fund accounting structure helped us organize our accounting in much better consistency and compliance with non-profit standards. QuickBooks forces your to twist and turn their product to fit with non-profit practices. Having online access by multiple "seats" is a big step forward in efficiency. Aplos support staff have been over-the-top and better-than-expected helpful, from initial import or data to addressing specific features we wanted.

Pros

Non-profit structure, multiple seat accessibility online, online giving integration, Form 990 head start

Cons

Costs have a bit more than doubled since we started. Donor receipts customization within Aplos could be much better. Ability to contact Donors individually or as selected segments or as a whole is missing. Would love to be able to send year-end contributions receipts via email PDFs!

Roger J.

My review . .

Reviewed on 19/03/2021

Overall experience . ... nothing but favorable, and to the Nth degree

Pros

Comprehensive and easy to follow . . . but I have an advanced accounting background, so it may not be easy for some.

Cons

I have no cons at the moment.

I have no "like least" comments.

Realm

Reasons for Switching to Aplos

I needed a 100% payroll function and, coupled with Gusto, Aplos meets this need.
Ryan F.

Extremely easy, cloud-based accounting software

Reviewed on 25/04/2018

Pros

The fact that Aplos Accounting is cloud-based means that I can access our books from any computer, whether I am at the office or not.

Cons

It is a little pricey. However, despite it being pricier than programs such as Quickbooks and other accounting software, the cloud-based feature more than makes up for its cost.

Julie R.
  • Industry: Fine Art

excellent not-for-profit accounting software!

Reviewed on 28/10/2016

I recently took over the financial for a not-for-profit. I'm not an accountant but good with data and numbers. I researched applications and found aplos fund accounting. After watching some videos and reading articles, I learned how to set up the chart of accounts and enter transactions. After that, it was easy. All of the reports you need are built in to the software. Backups are not needed since it is web-based. And the customer support is exceptional! There is a button on the screen while you work to ask customer support a question. They have always been very prompt in responding. And the support videos, featuring a rep, are very informative and entertaining! I have since entered all transactions for the last 2 fiscal years and produced reports for a grant application. Highly recommend aplos!

Pros

everything. I wish all products had the same high level of customer support that aplos offers.

Cons

nothing to note as of yet.

Drinda P.

Great software for non-profits

Reviewed on 08/03/2021

Good experience.

Pros

There are many useful features in Aplos to assist non-profits in daily operations, events and donor management.

Cons

Needs better sign-up process to elicit and track volunteers.

Neon CRM

Reasons for Switching to Aplos

Better functionality for our applications.
Steve R.

Aplos Software Is The Perfect Solution For Our Church

Reviewed on 19/03/2015

Pros

Aplos overcomes a huge barrier for some by making a complex process simple and easy to understand. The product provides ease of use while delivering professional results. The quality of the product is second only to the quality of the service. The team at Aplos exceeds expectations and delivers an exceptional product.

Cons

The only feature I need that is not present is currency conversion.

Lisa A.

Great decision to change to Aplos Fund Accounting

Reviewed on 19/09/2016

Pros

This product took several things that we were doing separately and put them all together in one place. Accounting, credit card processing, year-end tax statements, donor communication, fund management. I have only been using the software about 6 months and they have already changed or updated several functions so I know they are constantly listening to users and making changes and improvements.

Cons

There is no function to create a deposit slip for the bank. I'm told they are working on it. Sometimes the navigation between functions is a little inconvenient. We had used quickbooks for many years and I like this product so much better for fund accounting.

Yoojin K.

Keeping up with the books of our contributors and expenses

Reviewed on 14/01/2018

Pros

I am the Treasurer for our non profit church. We are able to easily keep records for our contributors, expenses, and income. The software is simple but effective.

Cons

I have yet to try the bank reconcilation and payroll but I am sure it will integrate nicely once I spend the time to get to know more of the product.

Joyce H.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Aplos CRM and Donation Software

Reviewed on 10/10/2016

We do Fundraising for our school district to provide programs not covered in the basic curriculum. Our budget is $350,000 a year with less than 2,000 donors. We were looking for a program for our nonprofit that would provide a customer records management system, accounting system and credit card processing. Aplos provides all three at a very affordable price.

Pros

Affordability, ease of use and AWESOME customer service.

Cons

We have only had the program about a month and are still learning a lot of the features. We haven't had a chance to check out all the programs or to run reports yet. So far everything is working well.

Jason H.

Affordable and Productive

Reviewed on 26/01/2017

During the time that our church used Aplos, we were pleased with the software. Its ease of use was important for those that did not have accounting backgrounds. The only reason we are not still using this software is because we merged with another church and they have another accounting software already purchased. I am looking at bringing this church to Aplos with time.

Pros

Ease of use, affordability, cloud environment

Cons

Reports do not pull what I want (very few other software programs do however - I'm picky)

Karen M.

Needs some maturity

Reviewed on 04/10/2016

I've been using Aplos for about one month and am finding a number of shortcomings for what I need. We run most of our invoicing through AP and Aplos does not have a strong tie between AP and payments, making it cumbersome to pay multiple invoices with one check. In addition, the payments page requires re-entry of the amounts for each invoice. If you generally pay the full amount, that's an unnecessary step. Reports look really nice, but need formatting flexibility beyond filtering.

Pros

The dashboard is very powerful and provides a lot of data up front. Reports look very professional. Customer support is excellent!

Cons

Some navigation is awkward (like entering Percentage before Amount in AP, needing to click multiple + signs to expand sections in some reports, and having to enter each dollar amount to pay bills when the full amount should be the default). I lost data at least a couple of times trying to look up accounts while entering a Receipt because I wasn't warned that navigating away from the receipt would delete my entry.

Doug N.

Aplos is very easy to setup and use.

Reviewed on 13/04/2018

Aplos makes is easy for us to track and keep donor information

Pros

Maintaining donor information in Aplos is very easy to do. It can track giving records from week-to-week and generate year-end giving statements.

Cons

I wish the giving statements were easily customizable. They look good, but it would be great for us if we could customize them.

Michael M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

GREAT Software

Reviewed on 08/05/2020

The overall versatility of Aplos is outstanding. Tracking donors with a functional database is wonderful. The WePay integration is phenomenal. And, although I haven't used it yet, the event management aspect will save us time and money.

Pros

That it was written specifically for nonprofit organizations.

Cons

Knowledge base could be improved by including better word recognition.

Response from Aplos

Thank you, Michael, for your review. We are happy to see that you enjoy our software! We will definitely look into the knowledge base improvement.

Steve R.

The Best Fund Accounting Solution Available

Reviewed on 08/06/2012

This application is the best there is for simple, accurate, easy to use fund accounting. It has a very powerful feature set, yet it is simple to use. I cannot imagine what we would be doing as an organization without this. This application does everything you need it to do and then some. The customer service is the best I have ever seen or experienced. The product and the service have exceeded our expectations, and I highly recommend Aplos Software without reservations.

Pros

Easy to use. Powerful features. Second to none customer service.

Cons

Because I operate internationally, I would like to have the option to choose a different currency....euros for example.

Response from Aplos Software

Hey Steve, thanks for the positive review! Also, we released the ability to change your currency symbol so I hope that enhancement has been helpful. We never stop working to improve things, so thanks for being such a loyal customer and giving great feedback.

Mabel D.

Great for Church Finances

Reviewed on 23/01/2020

Pros

I love the updated dashboard and the charts you can see with the finances.

Cons

It does take a long time to transfer information from another system to Aplos. We made the switch and 4 months later we were ready to start using the program.

Response from Aplos

Thank you, Mabel, for your review. We are happy to see that you enjoy our software!
Making the switch to a new platform certainly can take some time; depending on how many systems or spreadsheets you are wanting to integrate, the amount of data you need to move, the number of users to train, etc. Best to allow plenty of time to ensure that the data move is complete and accurate and your team is up to speed on Aplos' capabilities and how to perform transactions.
Our Success Team is here to help guide you along the path to a more efficient and accurate future for your organization.

Jacob P.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

One of the best fund accounting platforms on the market

Reviewed on 14/01/2018

Easily managing accounting for multiple organizations with Aplos and Aplos Oversight. This reduces man hours needed to manage the books, reducing overhead cost.

Pros

Aplos makes it super simple to get up and running. Their general ledger is perfectly structured and you don't need an accounting to degree to understand. Their support team and help website are great!

Cons

As a newer company, they are still building out their system. They just recently made a seemless Payroll integration. They still don't have a purchasing module or A/P approval process, which would be great to make digital in the system instead of paper-based.