Square for Retail

POS & inventory management for retail businesses

4.5/5
4.6/5
4.7/5
4.4/5

Chase
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Great for entrepreneurs

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

It is very easy to use and convenient for my customers

Pros

The ease of use for this product is amazing. I love how you can make a sale with the virtual terminal by either swiping a card or sending an invoice.

Cons

The fees per use can be cumbersome. However all pay portals have some sort of fee to use their product.

Eric
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Small little POS at your finger tips

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

Its what we needed in a pinch to get sales orders working on the field at events. It worked well for conferences and venues.

Pros

It was easy to setup and start using when you need it. You connect it to your phone and use it as a normal POS you would in a store

Cons

Support isn't always easy to get a hold of and it wouldn't integrate it with our system. This is more for small business use and not for tracking and reporting on analytics.

Lightspeed POS

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

popularity it had over any other product .. we heard the name and purchased it.
April
  • Industry: Photography
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great app for small business with HIGH processing fees

Reviewed on 09/07/2022

Pros

I like that I can do manual entry, take payments over the phone, and process almost any type of credit card a client has.

Cons

The fees are so high. Absolutely ridiculous when other companies offer funds transfer and payment options for a fraction of the service fee. I've had to start adding service fees to client bills who choose to pay with Square.

Michael
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Let Square free You

Reviewed on 02/06/2022

I Get paid without having to run around the office

Pros

I love that I can use my Square terminal anywhere. Whether I am at an event or in the back room, I can get paid.

Cons

I do find that sometimes the payouts can be confusing

Elevate

Reasons for Choosing Square for Retail

cost ease of use. I got tired of going to my computer to check patients out

Cost and ease of use
Scott
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Proud to be a Square

Reviewed on 22/06/2022

Pros

What I found to be the most beneficial of aspects of this software and accessories is the fact that it incorporates everything essential to successfully implementing a source of income for your business that is highly adaptable to various situations. Essentially, a POS that is direct banking as well, and at it's best, in my opinion.

Cons

Initially, and for the general entirety, I have been completely satisfied with all aspects of this software, it has become an asset and even more so a staple in regards to my business functioning at an efficient level.

Ela
  • Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

great support for small business

Reviewed on 16/06/2022

Pros

it is easy to use on the go, does not requite complicated hardware

Cons

the app works only on ios and not available on android

Shopify

free standard version
Chris
  • Industry: Wholesale

Great job square

Reviewed on 31/07/2022

Pros

with an attractive design and easy to use interface Square made payment processing very easy and allowed me the time to handle other hurtles that pop up on a daily basis.

Cons

The fee's really ate in to profits. which had us looking in to other service providers

Laura
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

Overall, it has been a great experience. From loading up all our merchandise to swiping the guest's card/taking cash, all have come together nicely. We have rotated stock, added new and taken out old, and updating the system has been very clear and easy. The inventory tracking helps us know what we need and don't need, saving us money and allowing us to know what's in demand. No complaints here!

Pros

The software is easy to manage on the back end and front end.

Cons

It serves its purpose well, no complaints here!

Kalli
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Square

Reviewed on 30/06/2022

Pros

Square is easy to use and for the most part has minimal glitches.

Cons

When glitches do arise sometimes it is hard to find a quick solution.

Toni Lee
  • Industry: Printing

It works! But...

Reviewed on 07/07/2022

Pros

So I love that its a great company, they offer so much support, and loans etc..... its a great program that operates well on all devices as well

Cons

I do not like how the fees are hidden and you have to search for. Its such a pain to locate the fee. Then have to compute it on my QB software.

Caleb

Square Retail works great but the customer service is terrible

Reviewed on 17/01/2020

Overall it has been a great tool and finding a better solution has been tough. I have checked numerous POS systems and I end up just staying with square. I wish they would update there new register system like the retail app. I also wish they had better customer service. Without fail every time I have contacted square they say they will have to look further into the situation and contact me back but they never do. It has happen every time I have contacted square.

Pros

The software is great to do all transactions, returns and exchanges. I like the fact that it prints a barcode at the bottom of the receipt so when a customer comes back for a return we just scan the bottom of the receipt and the transaction pops right up.

Cons

I end up getting the new square register in hope that it would act just like the retail app for the Ipad. The fact is that square won't update the new register. It has no exchange option like the Ipad app does and you end up needing to set up both the Ipad and register. Square has known about this issue for years now. You can see the complaints on the square forum page. Square also does not have a spot for barcodes so you end up having to put your barcodes in the sku spots. The loyalty point system also has some problems. When you do a return it doesn't automatically take points back from the customer account.

Epos Now, Shopify POS and eHopper

Epos Now, Shopify POS and eHopper

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

These other products lacked to many other features that I couldn't make the switch. It had a lot to do with the rewards program and the back office software.
David
  • Industry: Publishing

A Useful Solution for your eCommerce Needs

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

Overall I am pleased with Square because, for my business at least, it covers most of my needs. Set up could not be easier. Simply log-in to the application and begin creating store items. You can even allocate a low inventory alert so that you will always know if your inventory supplies are dwindling. It's very easy to assign a bank account to Square and the approval process, unlike some eCommerce providers, is almost instantaneous. Setting up the seller page is also easy and Square offers a variety of templates to choose from. No programming knowledge is needed and the page is largely WYSIWYG, so there are no surprises. The site displays well across PCs, tables, and phones.

Pros

Square for Retail enables you to easily create an online eCommerce store, list your products, and sell them. It's quite simple to use, and this is perhaps what is the best reason to use Square. It is particularly useful for small businesses trying to build sales via social media and other online avenues. At the same time, it is useful for brick-and-mortar stores as well. While I use it for online sales, several of my colleagues use Square in their stores.

Cons

A big drawback is that Square (as of the writing of this review) is unable to process payments from outside the United States. Thus, if you anticipate worldwide sales, Square may not be the best solution for your business. A second drawback is that it can be difficult to reach a live customer service representative. Unlike most companies, in which one simply phones in for service, Square requires that you first create a trouble ticket (at which point you will be assigned a case number). You then use the case number when phoning customer service. It's not horrible but in today's business world it's kind of annoying and time consuming. Square also lacks live online help, which is another downside.

Janet

Great Point of sale system

Reviewed on 13/09/2020

Awesome and after using two other point of sale systems we have had no issues with the system going down. Very reliable.

Pros

Easy to use! Download the App and get setup. I just recently bought their Square Register and it is awesome. Customer service will help you get the right APP for your business.

Cons

Been using their credit card device for well over a year and have never had any issues. There isn’t one thing i don’t like.

Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Square for Retail

Terrible customer service, terrible app and so many issues with their credit card equipment going down.

Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

Worked best for my business, and has so many options. Marketing, payroll, loyalty etc.
Coree
  • Used for 2+ years

Perfect On-the-Go Payment Solution!

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

When I first began using Square, it was simply for fundraisers. My husband and I would participate in events, and we would allow patrons to make donations to the charity we were fundraising for. Now, as I begin designing my online store for home decor and crafts that I sell, there was no guessing on where I would have my store set up. Square has truly made it that easy to work with, that I suggest using them to everyone I know!

Pros

I absolutely LOVE the ease of use of Square! The app allows you to literally set up your shop in mere minutes, and then allows you to input your products with prices for an easy tap to add it to your customer's cart. I especially love the Square business card that holds all my funds, which makes keeping business money separate from family funds so much easier!

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything that I do not love about this software. It is designed in a way that allows even the least techy person to set up their store and products, and go through a checkout seamlessly.

Craig
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Square is a great payment platform for retail stores.

Reviewed on 12/05/2019

This system works great for pop-ups and retail stores. You can also track what you sell and square sends you emails when you are low on products. We will continue to use Square

Pros

How simple it is to set up. You know exactly how much you are being charged. There is no hidden extra add ons. Square updated the os, so now if your customer wants to return 1 item and they purchased two, you just pull up the item and hit return.

Cons

Just make sure you do all the updates for square and os system for any pad you are using. We use an Ipad and it works great! Not much to not like.

Cloverleaf

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

I liked the way it looked. Especially when it was paired with Apple products. Most importantly it was easy to use. This made it very easy to train our employees.
Daniel

Excellent Software with Hardware Shortcomings

Reviewed on 29/04/2021

Overall, Square for Retail is a powerful software that allows you to take sales portably with a very small footprint. However, the hardware has catching up to do.

Pros

Square easily handles transactions for our church book stall. It provides up-to-date inventory and online reporting for tax purposes. You can easily add sales, promotions, and other tailor-made functions.

Cons

What I like least about this software is the hardware. We utilize the Square Terminal, which was attractive as a portable register in that it takes credit cards via swipe and chip, but also prints receipts. The optional scanner is even nicer to use. However, for the scanner to work, the terminal must be plugged into an outlet, which robs it of its portable nature. Additionally, adding inventory via the Terminal is cumbersome and slow. Imagine typing in inventory titles using a small smart phone that is slower than a smart phone.

Clover

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

Square for Retail was a more reputable brand with better rates via the Terminal and had more attractive hardware in its Terminal product.
Marc

Daily User

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

Totally love it. i'm happy with the features, and I'm sure that by being well funded I will continue to see new features come up, unlike software I previously used that wasn't as well funded.

Pros

I enjoy easily keeping track of my customer's info, including the ability to create my own custom fields and also group customers. These features make it easy for me to note a history with a customer, aside from just their purchases. Grouping customers allows me to enter a location, find the group of customers there, and know everyones name as a result of this reference

Cons

I wish it were easier to transfer my client lest from other software, but thats the nature of software I guess.

Mayela

The simplest payment processing system

Reviewed on 29/08/2019

I have a small a small business and the square software works well for my needs

Pros

The software is very easy to install. The pairing of the software with either the magstripe or the contactless reader is quite fast. Processing payments is a breeze and both readers can be used on the go or a set location.

Cons

I don’t have any problems with the software itself. It would be nice to have a better rate for card processing.

ClinicSense, Quickbooks Online and PayPal Zettle

Reasons for Choosing Square for Retail

I was unsatisfied with the service and the fees paid

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

I liked the fact that there was not contract or installation fees. Also there is no monthly or retal fees. The equipment is inexpensive.
Kathryn

Awesome Product

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

Overall, I am very satisfied it seems they have thought of everything when it comes to this app. They also have fantastic customer service if you need to call them with questions. I started my business last year and square has been fantastic to use for pop up's. Processing payments is a breeze and I have had very small issues that were resolved quickly and with ease.

Pros

I love the app that goes with this product. I hold many pop up events for my shop and the square is fantastic for this. Adding inventory and processing payments is fantastic. I set up the app in very little time and thought it would take so much longer. I really like being able to use it with my phone and ipad and it has made payments so much easier. I will only use this software for my pop up shops.

Cons

Sometimes I have wifi issues, but they have a great feature that will still accept payments offline. So even though its a pain, I still receive payment later.

Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

Square was so much easier to use.
Nate
  • Industry: Music

I have mixed feelings. I like the look/feel of the old app better. It seemed more user...

Reviewed on 09/08/2017

Pros

I like the ability to transfer inventory from one store to another. I like the ability to have employees clock-in/clock-out to keep track of pay and what items a specific employee sells. I like the ability to adjust quantities from the app instead of just the dashboard.

Cons

I don't like that I can't view another store's inventory from the app. Very often, I find myself saying, "We don't have that in-stock here, but I know it's in-stock at our other location." It'd be very helpful to be able to type in an item and view quantity in-stock for all locations. I also HATE that there are not "tickets" available anymore. I own a music store that offers instrument repairs and we also have special orders. For instrument repairs - the amount is variable depending on what needs done and I also notate the transaction with the instrument type, brand, serial number - what parts were used, and what was done under the "Quantity and Notes" section. I don't want to have to look up that information and type into a transaction with the customer standing at the register. In the other app, I could do all of that when no one was in the store and save it as a ticket. Then when they come into the store, all I had to do was pull up the ticket and they were good to go. Same with special orders. I don't want to add inventory into Square, assign it a price, add the SKU, put it into a category, set the quantity, etc., if I'm not going to STOCK the item. So for special orders, I like to just type in the information under "Custom Amount," but I do like to notate the transaction under "Quantity and Notes" with the title and SKU so I can look back and see what it was. I don't want to do that typing when a customer arrives, so I prefer to save it as a ticket. Now I can't do that.

Janna
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Square is super easy and I love it.

Reviewed on 02/04/2020

Overall, it's awesome, super easy to use and I love it.

Pros

I love how easy it was to start taking credit cards and to use Square as my POS. It syncs to my accounting software automatically and keeps track of all my products, invoices and charges.

Cons

There isn't an automatic section for shipping and I have to add it manually as its own category. Not sure why they haven't built this into their invoicing platform yet even though so many people have asked about this.

Itzak
  • Industry: Sports

Perfect POS for small business owners

Reviewed on 28/10/2021

Incredibly user friendly, nicely designed interface and overall no issues.

Pros

Square pretty much takes all the leg work out of setting up a POS system for any business, but I'll speak specifically as a small business owner.
-If you're a first time small business owner, save yourself the headache and just go with Square; you might be able to get a lower merchant fees rate with another service, but then you have to deal with the hassle of setting up a separate POS register, possibly a separate app you'd have to setup on an iPad if that's what you plan to use, setting up the merchant account, etc. With Square, it's all wrapped into one easy setup.
-Easy to setup on an iPad, create a catalog of items to sell and process payments
-The item catalog screen is very user friendly and customizable
-Doing refunds is easy
-Reports are incredibly easy to run
-Square integrates with QuickBooks online, so it's been seamless to link all my Square sales to my accounting books and makes my tax filings much more accurate
-Creating invoices is also easy and gives a professional look to my invoice emails
-Ability to create forms that require signature, so no need for another digital signature service (unless you need more details, see Cons below)

Cons

-I wish you could have the same virtual terminal on the iPad on desktop as well. There have been times when my iPad crapped out and had to use my laptop, and it's not the same experience.
-If you're using the signature service for forms that you need to send out, it only records the signature itself and nothing else. Either it's a user error on my part, or they need to update it, but it needs more customization.

Nicola
  • Industry: Entertainment

Easy solution for taking payment

Reviewed on 25/03/2021

Square has made it so easy to run the retail side of my business along with saving me a ton of money on fees my old bank charged for credit card processing.

Pros

In the past I've used traditional forms of credit card accepting machines and software provided by my bank. Very expensive and cumbersome. Square has made accepting credit cards cost effective and very easy. The retail setup has made keeping inventory easy along with sorting out sales taxes. The advantage of using AP on phone when not in store is extremely helpful and again very easy to use.

Cons

No real cons, If I were to get picky I'd say initial set up takes a bit of time but nothing really worth complaining about.

PayPal

Reasons for Choosing Square for Retail

Cost was much better with square, speed of deposits was better with Square and customer service is better with Square.

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

No one offered all that Square did for the price.
Alex
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

The Only Way To Accept Payments For Small Business

Reviewed on 05/08/2019

I recommend using Square for small business purposes only. That being said, they have a wonderful option for POS.

Pros

The Square plugin was super easy to use and fit most devices. The application is simple and adjustments were easy to make changes to. Paperless receipts are the best way to go about transactions.

Cons

The price was a little high for the software. Using the plugin had its disadvantages if you use a phone and that phone has a protective case. The application sometimes froze.

Venmo

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

The popularity among companies meant ease of use.
Trincell
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Easy Sales and Storefeont

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

I was the one assisting a friend with setting up her storefront while working on mine as well. Through mine I invoiced to accept payment for items on hand or orders personally placed with me.

Pros

User friendly platform to load your storefront with products. Present templates that are also customizable to your liking. Integration of an inventory model to track what you have left on hand.

Cons

Have a plan for your products of offering multiple size and/or color options before entering on the site. It's much harder to edit and change the categories once it's set. Know what your page intent is as well ahead of schedule.

PayPal, Venmo, PayPal Zettle and Samsung Pay

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

Added alternative means for my customers to pay and shop.