SocialSchedules

Scheduling software for businesses with hourly employees

4.7/5

Robert M.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Still Has Flaws

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Overall it has been a good experience, I say that because my best friend is a software engineer and I know it takes time to work out the bugs in any application or program. That being said there are still a few things about your app that annoy the crap out of me - like getting woke up at 3AM by notifications; AFTER I've already been scheduled when I have other apps (like GroupMe) that enable me to silence all notifications for one hour; two hours; six hours or twelve hours.

Pros

I like the fact that you guys actually respond to negative reviews and take a proactive approach to fixing the bugs. Also like the fact that with this app I can take my pick of available shifts and get scheduled with one click instead of being on the phone for half an hour (Securitas at Universal Studios). That's half an hour of my life that I'm not going to get back and they're not paying me for that time, it's bad enough that they want to pay minimum wage to people with specialized skills (like operating X-ray machines) but then they expect me to waste half an hour of my life; every single day on the phone trying to get scheduled. Over a period of one week that adds up to three and a half hours of my life that they're not paying me for.

Cons

I didn't like the fact that I still get notifications for shifts that aren't even available any more. I'll see a long list of invitations, go through one by one - and not a single one of them is still available. It seems like once a shift has been filled it should fall off of my notifications so that I don't have to click through every single one of them just to find the ONE (if any at all) that are still available.

I also don't like the fact that after I've already accepted a shift for tomorrow I still keep getting invitation notifications for shifts that are on the same day as the one I just accepted and these notifications will just keeping coming and keep coming and keep coming and there's no way to shut off the notifications - even JUST for the day that I'm already scheduled. And I shouldn't even have to disable notifications; even for specific days - when the app should already know that I'm already scheduled and don't need to be scheduled again. Our bosses even keep telling us "if you're already scheduled then DO NOT accept the newer shift notifications that come in" because apparently there have been people that accepted one shift - then another one came in that was their preferred shift; they accepted that one two and then it creates a scheduling conflict which is neither good for the employee OR the employer.

Sarah R.

Reviewed on 16/08/2019

Definitely spend less time scheduling than ever before, which is awesome!

Pros

Ease of use, ease of setup, setup is organized and clear, love that it notifies my staff when I publish a schedule and is integrated with phone platforms/has an app.

Cons

I really really dislike that I have to manually edit “availability” for each new staff member, in order to force them to submit timeoff requests. I also don’t like that you can’t have an algorithm for time off requests- for example I require two weeks notice for time off requests, and I wish the app would allow me to enforce that, but it doesn’t...so instead I have employees submitting time off requests 5 days before which then makes me look like the mean guy when I have to decline a request. I wish open simsim would just allow me to have a setting that removes the ability to request time off if it’s less than 14 days from the requested time off date.

When I Work

Reasons for Switching to SocialSchedules

It was free and even though it has a premium upgrade, it still provides more functionality in the free mode than when I work
Laura D.

Super practical

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

It´s super helpful in order to organize timetables; I highly recommend it.

Pros

It´s very visual, eye.friendly and simple. You figuer it out in two minutes and gives you good reliable information.

Cons

Maybe some drag and pull features; or that I can´t fully customize the viewing screen (you can see it dialy or weekly) but I cant suggest a third way. But nothing too serious

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Odd functionality

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Pros

UI is easy to understand and accessibility on both mobile and desktop is really nice. I'm constantly referencing my phone to check when other employees are going to be working so I know how to balance the workload and who to send tickets to. I work in I.T., so knowing who is working when is really important for handling clients requests quickly. OSS is easy to navigate.

Cons

There are several discontinuities in the functionality. I can view other workers schedules on desktop, but ONLY on days when I'm working. But on my phone, I can view other workers schedules throughout the whole week by turning my phone on its side. It really doesn't look great to have my phone out while at work, so this is frustrating.
Additionally, requesting time off and changing individual availability (not just regular weekly availability) is a pain and can't be done through both mobile and desktop app. There are many things I can do ONLY on mobile or ONLY on desktop, but not both.
Sometimes when changing my daily availability on desktop, the visual block may look like it's between two different times, but the actual time it states is several hours later.
There are many similar bugs and discontinuities between the mobile and desktop apps.

Emiko B.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

It’s alright

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

It’s ok. It works, and it’s what my organization is using.

Pros

The design is easy and simple to see. Updates are made real time and notifications are sent.

Cons

There are functionality limited to mobile, and this is extremely unhelpful when I’m working at a customer service position where I’m not supposed to look at my phone.

Cons on the computer:
-I cannot see who else is working when I’m not working that day.
-I cannot see a list of people and their shifts the way I can view it on mobile.
-When I make the window size smaller (when I have to sometimes for my work), the application won’t let me view anything.

Overall cons:
-Setting availability/unavailability is a nightmare. It just takes so much time, especially when my hours are variable. There must be a better way to design this.
Also, this function is limited to the web app — why design the software where the functionality is half and half between different platforms?
-is there a way to change the view setting to “Month”? That will make the schedule easier to see.
-The notifications are exsessive — I get one when my schedule is changed, then published. For one change, I get four notifications (2 app, 2 emails).

Marissa W.

Love this scheduling app!

Reviewed on 16/08/2019

Lots of benefits in the ease of use, for both me and my staff. It makes scheduling fun!

Pros

The ease of use, it's so helpful to have the schedule on you whenever you need it. It's made it way easier for my staff to get there shifts covered on their own. Allowing the app to assign sections to my staff it has given me the tools to help maintain order on my sales floor as well. I don't know how I worked for so long without it!

Cons

Mostly it's been a positive experience, the only thing I think would make it better would be holding the same layout as the computer when converting to the weekly schedule on the phone. And as a administrator being able to see what i have unpublished on my phone as well. And also it would be nice to be able to black out days employees couldn't drop shifts, just how there is the feature to do that with the time off requests. But really it's been an amazing tool to have!

Gabriel P.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Good scheduling tool for managing a bar

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

I have enjoyed OpenSimSim more than our previous scheduling tool. Since pretty much everyone carries a smartphone these days, the schedules are easily distributed to the employees.

Pros

I like that the software works on multiple operating systems as well as moblile devices. I find the 'landscape' feature when a mobile phone is turned sidways to be especially helpful and well thought out. I really like genaral ease of use for scheduling, removing, and adding workers, arranging time off, basically keeping everyone in communication (and thereby accountable).

Cons

I have not discoverd how to do all my managent tasks from my phone, and thus must always use my computer. I don't know if that's an option, but it hasn't been intuitive enough that I have figured it out (or important enough that I have spent time to figure it out). I wish that when people sent messages that they were more flagged or intrusive, I have a lot going on and sometimes I miss messages sent through OpenSimSim... Like a pop up window or something?

Ryan S.

OpenSimSim, so easy!

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

I love OpenSimSim, it has helped me schedule my employees better and has increased communications with everyone. If ever I have a question, the Support team is right there, very responsive.

Pros

I like how easy it is to add new employees to the system. I like how the everyone can know what they need to through the app. I also like the budgeting feature to help keep our production costs down. I also like the messaging feature, I don't use email anymore.

Cons

One thing I don't like is how I can't assign more tasks or positions to one person per shift, or maybe I just don't know how. Another thing is, sometimes I would like to see all of my employees schedules at once instead of scrolling up and down.

Laura J.

Love OpenSimSim!

Reviewed on 11/10/2019

Pros

I use this to schedule a team of work-study students in my office, so it was important to me to use a system that would allow people to drop shifts without needing to find a cover and to post open shifts that any worker can sign up for- this fulfills both of those needs. I love seeing a weekly view and daily view, being able to sort alphabetically and by time of shift for the day, being able to save a schedule template for a week so that I don't have to manually schedule shifts every week (their weekly schedules are the same), and I love how easy the app is to use so that I can manage the schedule while I'm out of the office.

Cons

I created a fake employee account when I was first starting to use this system so that I could see how things look/work from the worker perspective, and then had difficulty deleting my fake worker account. Customer service helped me out with this, but it would be nice if there was a feature that let administrators toggle to the worker view just so that they have an idea of what schedules/notifications look like to their workers.

Ana C.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Open Simsim

Reviewed on 19/02/2019

Excellent, specially in the organization of the businees.

Pros

I have been using it for more than a year to organize my 25 workers and it has been incredible!! Every worker can easily access his/her schedule on the app and the administrators can easily modify schedules or add/delete shifts as necessary.
I don't know how we survived without this app for so long. Obviously there was a great deal less organization back then.
I recommend it to everybody that needs to have the schedule always at hand, specially when you have multiples sites and workers on a day to day basis.

Cons

If I had a doubt it took me a bit to solve it, although when I needed extra help I could do it with a live chat.

David S.

Just what I need, all in one place

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

The biggest benefit to myself is managing time off requests, I no longer need to remember when a colleague has asked for time off. They use the app, submit request, I review and there it is in the schedule. No more allowing too many colleagues off at same time and mistakingly scheduling on time off.
Another benefit is less pressure to complete a schedule, I do my schedules at home so I no longer need to rush to ensure all staff see it in store, I have a little extra breathing space because as soon as I hit publish, my colleagues instantly have the schedule in their hands.

Pros

Communication feature - direct messages to specific colleague(s)
Manage time off requests which then show in schedule
Mobile version - inc notifications on shifts
Coverage graph (able to see how many colleagues scheduled per hour/per day)
Best of all, it has a FREE version

Cons

Some limited functionality on mobile version.
For example, can only manage/create schedules on pc version.
Time off requests need to be managed on pc version as this way allows to view existing time off to prevent allowing too many staff off. On mobile version, this is difficult to manage.
Can't track holiday allowances - possibly icing on the cake
Generally though, con's are hard to argue because it is free and it does just what I need it to do

Alex S.

iOS compatibility

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

Everything is great about opensimsim except in January of 2019 the update they did made their system non-compatible with use on iPad.

This is a huge huge downside of the product someone not to smart didn’t keep the system compatible with iOS on an iPad cuz I used it for over a year that way.

I don’t carry or want to carry a laptop with me everywhere which means I get chained to a desk to write schedules now that I can’t use my iPad anymore. Two thumbs down!!!!

Aaron I.
  • Industry: Sports

Easiest Scheduling App/Software to Use!

Reviewed on 01/03/2019

Pros

Love the ease of use for both the administrator and the user. We have been using the OpenSimSim for a year now and have had not issues with it whatsoever. The functionality of the software is easy to use even for the least tech savvy individual. Our employees love the app and they love how easy it is to request time-off and to view their work week calendar.

Cons

The administration scheduling side can get overwhelming with a large number of employees by not being able to see the week without scrolling up and down. Minor issue but would be great if there was a way to zoom in and out rather than scrolling up and down so much. But, other then that not too many cons when it comes to OpenSimSim.

Steven H.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 19/08/2019

My overall experience is good. It meets the needs of the department

Pros

The software is easy to use and meets the needs of tracking shifts

Cons

When utilizing the Timeoff feature, employees who take partial shifts off end up not being left for the remainder of their shift. It eliminates them from the schedule and makes the whole shift an opportunity. This requires the admin to have to go in and manipulate the schedule to allow it to show the actual hours worked and the actual hours needed for filling the remainder of the shift.

Cienna C.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

OpenSimSim makes scheduling easy!

Reviewed on 21/02/2019

OpenSimSim is very easy to navigate and if you do find something you need help with, they provide simple tutorials to help you out.

Pros

With this app, I am able to keep track of forecasted sales and employee availability. You can create templates on what your basic schedule should look like and input it onto the schedule you are working on. It notifies you when you are trying to schedule someone during a time they are unavailable and gives you the option to send them a notification asking them to work at that time.

Cons

I have yet to find something that I dislike or have any issues with. I have been using this app for at least 10 months and it has been great!

Bec M.

Great software!!

Reviewed on 24/08/2019

For us titling the staff roles is great. This is helpful in hospitality to indicate which section they’d be working per the shift.

Pros

It’s super easy to use.
I love that you can chat to staff as a group or individually.
I think staff really like being able to control their availability.

Cons

It would be nice if there was the option to ask staff if they could approve a shift request. Rather than the software denying you to be able to offer.

Marcey T.

I was a non believer!

Reviewed on 27/04/2017

I was a non believer in which I didnt think this product would work with our restaurant ways of scheduling. Boy was I wrong, not only is it EASIER then my old way, its much faster and everyone can see it at all times on thier phones (because we all know that everyone has thier phones by them at all times)! There were a few glitches at first, but those have been fixed and overall this is a great product. What did I do with out you SimSim??!!!

Pros

how quick my schedule gets to my employees, they also LOVE the fact that you turn your phone and can see EVERYONES schedule

Cons

when I go to schedule someone they ALWAYS come up as Bartender then I have to switch their job title, even when bartender is NOT in their scope of work.

Brett P.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Couldn't be happier with the Opensimsim platform

Reviewed on 05/05/2017

Has cut my scheduling time way way down

Pros

The transition over to Opensimsim was seamless. The best part has been watching the platform evolve and improve. They have listened to everything their user base has asked for when it comes to functionality and ease of use, and have implemented those ideas flawlessly into the app.

Cons

There are sometimes minor glitches when scheduling which transfers shifts to the wrong day, but in the grand scheme of things this is a small issue.

Radka O.

Great Open

Reviewed on 27/07/2018

An easy way to customize roster, chat to member staff, updating information.
Personally, I liked the app so much.

Pros

All you need to communicate with staff members, checking rosters and updating information are provided in such a clear and easy way. Easy to manipulate, easy to use.
Simple but easy :)

Cons

There is trouble to sign is sometimes.
Even after a few times, it took way too long to log in.
There were also mixed up profile pictures when we had a group chat.

Kay C.

Volunteer Schedule

Reviewed on 18/08/2019

This is a very easy to use product.

Pros

I like the price, because we are a non-profit organization with about 20 volunteers. I needed something that would keep track of everyone and with your product I can see the schedule on my phone or computer. It is very handy.

Cons

I'd like to be able to schedule people from my phone.

When I Work

Reasons for Switching to SocialSchedules

OpenSimSim allowed me to schedule out for months at a time. The When I Work program only let me go out for 10 days.
Steve O.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

It is powerful yet simple to use and my staff responds quicker in accepting assignments.

Reviewed on 29/04/2017

Saves me time and makes the weekly task of scheduling more efficient.

Pros

It has the power of programs. It is simple to set up schedules and most of my staff have been able to figure it out easily. It takes me about the same time to produce the weekly schedule, but I love being able to hit publish and be done as opposed to then spending the same amount of time cutting and pasting individual schedules to each persons separate email. My staff seem to respond faster and I'm able to make last minute changes faster.... And the fact that it is free is a huge plus!

Cons

I love the flexibility offered through the use of positions and sections. It is a challenge though to remember which sections I've assigned to different positions when creating a schedule because the sections only show up when you open an individuals assignment window. It would be awesome to have both positions and sections show up in the scheduling master view.

Timothy L.

Restaurant

Reviewed on 20/02/2019

Overall great software. Would recommend to anyone looking for scheduling app.

Pros

Free software.
Use of adding and dropping shifts for employees and swapping shifts.

Cons

There was a way to only allow managers/admins to set availability for employees and changes to availability require approval. For set schedules, defeats purpose of request offs if employees can set availability day to day.

Nicholas E.

Payroll Software

Reviewed on 06/09/2019

Overall great use and price

Pros

web-based, price, and on-boarding for employees. The software gives you the flexibility that you need when running payroll.

Cons

No phone app. It is difficult to navigate the first uses.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing SocialSchedules

Employee visibility of whats happening with their wages.

price
Blaine H.

Awesome Scheduling App!

Reviewed on 09/12/2016

My restaurant was approached by Open Sim Sim this year and I could not be happier! Our rep and his team are always there for you with any questions or concerns. My management team used to stress out on scheduling and would work on them for hours. Now with the Open Sim app, I am able to schedule 4 weeks out in less than 20 minutes! The staff loves the ease of swapping shifts, picking up shifts, and reading shift notes at the press of a couple buttons. It's great to get the word out of anything that might be going on. Large parties last minute, servers calling out sick, etc. I highly recommend Open Sim Sim to any restaurant manager. You will not be disappointed!

It works, but not the best.

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

For being a cheap/free program it does the job and the development team seems to be active in improving the software. OpenSimSim is unintuitive and awkward but getting better.

Pros

I like the ability to adjust a single day of availability and the ease of communication with the scheduling supervisor for things like time off requests. There are a lot of functions for this software, such as seeing the schedule of the whole team for the week.

Cons

The feature access is unintuitive and difficult to work with. An example of this: the only way to see the full team schedule is to open the mobile version and rotate into landscape view. There are some features you can only use on mobile and some you can only use on desktop browser.