Square Payroll

Chandra D.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Payroll Basics Covered

Reviewed on 28/08/2021

Other than the additional Square account, I am/was super happy with the software. Perfect for startups and small businesses. I highly recommend!

Pros

I loved that this was plug and play ready, user friendly and made payroll less of a headache. Tracking hours, schedules and pay was extremely easy and they handled all the government paperwork after set up. Reminders were super helpful and I never missed payroll deadlines.

Cons

I didn't like that I couldn't activate previously canceled plans. Since the pandemic caused me to temporarily shutdown I had to cancel the service to save the monthly fee. I was super disappointed that I had to create a NEW Square account just to get access to the plan again. In doing so, I had two locations, two Square accounts and double the headache of managing. Honestly this was one the biggest reasons I decided to switch to Zenoti to streamline everything into one account and make management easier.

Nicole E.

Great Square Payroll Experience

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

I have had no issues with square payroll. All steps are timely with accurate calculations and filing of forms.

Pros

I appreciate square payroll reminders, ease of use, importing of time cards, calculations, etc. The set up makes it easy to use and follow.

Cons

I have experienced no issues at this time.

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

I choose square because I already use the Square POS system and I wanted everything integrated in one place.
Josie L.

Easy & Intuitive Payroll Software

Reviewed on 19/09/2016

Square's Payroll is insanely easy to use and navigate. I've been using it since Jan 1, 2015 and my only wish is that I started it sooner. I like that I can offer direct deposit to my employees and pick how often to pay them. They love it too because it's so simple, they don't have to worry about payroll. The backend for both me and my employees is also really easy to understand. I highly recommend it.

Pros

It's easy to use and understand. My employees said signing up and filling out their w-2 info was the easiest ever. Nobody had to ask me (or their Mom's!), it's direct and in plain English.
It calculates paid sick time for me (as per the new sick leave act in CA).
Submitting my quarterly federal tax returns and CA quarterly report of wages is also easy. It's so easy I don't even know how to do it because Square does it automatically for me!
Customer service is also great. One time I received a notice from EDD that I filed late, I called Square and they took care of it. My fee was waived, I haven't had an issue since.

Cons

I wish the Pay history offered more sorting options like their Sales information. I'd like to be able to see it by year, month, quarter, etc. I know Payroll is still kinda "new" so it wouldn't surprise me if this is offered later.

Mark N.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Love it

Reviewed on 23/05/2021

Pros

I love the ease of use and the affordability.

Cons

Better access to customer service. They seem focused on their retail cash register service than payroll.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

Price

SurePayroll

Price and features

Best Bang for Your Buck, No Headaches

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

I completely set up the system, enrolled all my employees, and processed my first payroll in half the time it normally took me to run a pay period using my old system.

Pros

Hands-down is the high compliance standards for very low cost. Close runner-up reasons are ease of use, both from the employer side as well as the employee side. This software is really great, offers a lot of protection, and cuts my payroll processing manhours from tens of hours every week to roughly 45 mins of double-checking things before hitting "PROCESS". Seamless direct depositing, set-up and managed by the employees themselves (though I can go in and make changes if they need help - only had that happen once so far, but still important). Very very VERY intuitive if you have spent even a little time in any other payroll software (yes, including manual spreadsheets).

Cons

I haven't had a chance yet to test the multi-state or international aspects (assuming international even exists).

Dena G.

Good software at a great price

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

Pros

The software is very user friendly, which is a major plus of the software. I like that you can add Memos to the paystubs now. This is a nice feature. Also the software's features are of a great value for the services provided.

Cons

I do not like that you cannot generate complete timecard spreadsheets which include the date, start and end times for each day for a specified time period. You can download individual timecards for any given day, and you can generate a spreadsheet with the total number of hours worked for a given time period, but you cannot generate a single spreadsheet which includes the date, start and end times for every single date in the time range. I have addressed this with Square support and have asked for this to be something considered in software updates. Employers in CA are required to maintain timecards for their employees so it would be very convenient if Square could add this feature to the software. Having to download each individual day's timecards is rather burdensome. Also, Customer Service has not always been very helpful. Sometimes I just get a cut and paste with the rep which does not address my specific inquiry.

Serene C.
  • Industry: Hospitality

A surprise, random audit put your services to the test...Passed with flying colors Thank you!

Reviewed on 01/11/2018

I was recently audited by the NC State of Employment Security and passed
with flying colors because we use Square up for our payroll services.

I am busy leading my business, which means wearing many hats, and I have
always depended on Square up to file the right forms, charge the correct
rates, and pay my employees.

All I have to do is plug in the time cards each week and click the pay
button.

The surprise, random audit put your services to the test...Thank you!

Sincerely

Pros

Ease of use for sure, navigation, and customer support

Cons

Our team will have the same time cards...would like a feature that duplicates the time and can change the employee would be helpful

Tiana Y.

easy to use system that always works the way it's supposed to

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

Pros

I really like the functionality and user friendliness. It has everything we need and I was really excited to find out that we can now do pre-tax deductions. It's the total package.

Cons

I really wish it integrated better with QuickBooks Online, but I mostly blame QBO for that. It would be nice not to have to enter a manual journal entry every pay run, but it's not so cumbersome that it makes it not worth it.

Cameron G.

Gets rid of the headache

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

It was a lifesaver when we first implemented it. I was struggling to do payroll by myself. I'm not a details person and the software took care of all of it for me. It was perfect!

Pros

The payroll services makes things easy and removes the headache and compliance worries.

Cons

Haven't found any issues that are troublesome. It's working great for us.

David S.
  • Industry: Insurance

Small business owner

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

Easy to use for all small business owners

Pros

Price and easy access. Easy to install and best program for small business owners

Cons

need more time to submit payroll. Overall system is great.

Super easy to use!

Reviewed on 27/10/2018

Awesome! Quick, easy, entertaining! Everyone is super happy when its this convenient!

Pros

Super easy to use, swipe and payment / transaction is complete in a matter of seconds. Super easy with digital copies!

Cons

Slight delay at times but that is normal when working on such a device that runs through a phone!

Chad N.

Signing up for Payroll was a bit confusing causing a 2 week delay for employees being paid.

Reviewed on 31/10/2017

Pros

Agent was very helpful and went above and beyond to ensure that the issues were fixed and clarified the confusion from a previous employee that had me sign up with Homebase. I did as recommended and called square to ensure the first pay period would be arriving soon, as it was past the day that was promised, causing distress with my employees. I compensated them so they would be confident in us as a reliable company. He listened to the issues and went above and beyond most company team members do and talked to a manager to compensate my company. He additionally went followed up with a phone call as scheduled and explained the process in a thorough and professional manner. I ultimately decided to stick with Squareup and Square Payroll due to the positive interaction and his manager who compensated us for the first month of payroll. It showed me that I was valued as a customer and that Square is a company that cares about the small businesses and customers that they serve.

Cons

The initial process was described incorrectly and it was confusing in the beginning, especially when I was asked to add the Homebase app to link up with Square and that caused much confusion and ultimately caused my employees to not be paid more than two weeks late.

Angel H.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Though I have only been using it for a couple of months, I have been really happy with it!

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

Easy to use and understand. Reminders sent automatically which helps me tremendously and payments are also automatically taken care of by square and come out weekly which is easier in smaller amounts. Being able to do everything concerning employees from one system is fabulous!

Pros

The thing I like most is the ease of use with it and the that works better with the employee management side. I am able now to do everything through square rather than having to go to several different places to gather all of the information I needed to get payroll complete, now its all here. They seem very thorough as well when I have communicated with the Square payroll team. I have been in business for 5 years and in that time have had an outside accountant for a time, then switched to Quickbooks, and now with square and in my experience, this is by far the best choice.

Cons

There is only one thing I can think of at this time that I haven't been able to see or figure out. With Quickbooks it did all my calculations for Unemployment Security to the state but I don't see that here. However, it is paid out quarterly so it may be that we have not come to that as of yet so this may be invalid if that is the case. This is the only thing I can think of that I have not figured out for sure yet. I would seriously encourage business owners to use Square. We love it!

Karyn M.

Simple and Accurate Software

Reviewed on 21/05/2021

The benefits of having Square Payroll are numerous! For one, I don't have to worry about doing payroll for our small company- it's just a few clicks each Monday and then I'm done! It's a very simple system to use and I think it's perfect for a small company like ours.

Pros

The features that are most important about Square Payroll are ease of use, being able to pick and choose what features I require, and the confidence that payroll will be accurate and on time. Also that the taxes are calculated correctly and are paid through the portal.

Cons

The only concern I had was that it was very difficult to get in touch with a live person the few times I had a question. In the beginning, I had a few questions that were not adequately addressed by the online Q&A but it took a few days for a response.

Domenica C.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

square payroll so far is the best Tool for Small business or even Self employee tool very easy...

Reviewed on 13/12/2017

Capital, customer happy payment right o way is not spence tool

Pros

Easy ! simple and delicate so people always feel tecnologí of tge pay pal and card reader is the best

Cons

somtime the internet on my shop gets very slow so i get this slow charging problem but is ok is not the software fault

Jason L.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Worked Flawlessly so Far For me!

Reviewed on 19/09/2016

The Square team is extremely helpful with any issues I have (which turn out to be my employees fault) and help get us back on track as soon as possible

Pros

Ease of use, Speed for payroll to be ran through, and customer service questions are answered promptly.

Cons

Not sure exactly what some of the charges are on my account. I'm sure they aren't charging me for something i didn't pay, but a detailed and itemized line receipt of any deductions on my account would be nice to have (unless I'm just not seeing it and they already have one)

Sasha L.

I really like the organized and easy to navigate online pages. The customer service is...

Reviewed on 11/12/2017

Pros

The pages are clear and organized. The website is easy to navigate. The website is quick and efficient.

Cons

Sometimes I get confused as were to find what I am looking for or how to locate what I need, but I think that is user issues!

Alexandria K.

So easy to use

Reviewed on 31/12/2019

Square Payroll makes it so easy. I've heard so many horror stories about other payroll companies.

Pros

I love how easy it is to setup, add employees, and run payroll every week. I also love that they offer easy integrations with things like workers comp.

Cons

Honestly I haven't found anything I don't like about Square Payroll.

Wave Payroll and QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Square files all the taxes for me so it's the best bang for the buck.
Shannon P.

One of the customer rep is great, she was very helpful

Reviewed on 05/12/2017

Pros

pretty easy to work with. Has a lot of different options. Customer service is great. I like that you can do your marketing on square. I like the tutorials on how to do things. I like that square is always trying to improve

Cons

That you have to pay for every little thing. I would like to be able to make any report I would like according to services, sales, and specific employee.

Jessica N.

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

I use to hand write our checks, we are a small business so it wasn't a big deal. We have recently added more employees and I discovered how to print checks, it really makes life simpler on pay day

Pros

I like being able to import time cards or manually enter time and the ease of printing checks. I also like being able to do it from practically anywhere.

Cons

I don't like the change when importing the time cards. There use to just be a highlighted area you click that says view timecards. They recently took that away. Now it is more difficult to view timecards if you notice a mistake when importing

Mateusz D.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Extremely professional, far superior to other payroll processors I have used in the past.

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

Speed, I saved on all the time I was spending submitting payroll. Ease of use, I love not waiting for checks to come in for my employees. The immediate withdrawal of payroll from my account removes the guess, or trying to balance outstanding checks on my account from employees.

Pros

Square payroll allows me to quickly submit payroll from anywhere. Square payroll paired with square point of sales makes this possible on the road. The transition from my previous processor was nearly seamless. I provided square my old information and they migrated my data and made sure everything was account for.
I also love the wide array of options from payroll periods, pay options, and signup from employees to put their information at their own fingertips.

Cons

I wish it had more depth to insight on past payroll periods. Metrics on individual employees. Labor hour trends as a whole and for each employee. If the system had its own clock in/time clock manager that was isolated from square terminal, or if it had a scheduling module built in that would be a value add.

But even without these options the system works excellent.

Wes S.

Modern, reliable payroll service

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

Pros

Square Payroll has streamlined onboarding and payroll for our accounting team, while providing excellent customer service and competitive pricing.

Cons

We haven't experienced any issues with features missing.

Rhoda D.

Very good experience. No problems and very easy to use.

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

pay as you go is wonderful. Ease of use, it takes little time for all my needs

Pros

Very esay to use. Does not take a lot of time to either use or understand. Any problems are quickly taken care of.

Cons

Having to go through the computer to get a " number" before I can talk to customer service is not so great, but it is still not that bad of an obstacle. I have gotten used to it.

Atama D.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great for Growing Small Business to pay contractors nd employees

Reviewed on 16/02/2021

Over experience is great. Im do not have difficultly using the platform and i so recoment it.

Pros

Easy to set up, easy to use, and great instructions on paying contractors. It was easy to each my office manager to run payroll and allow staff to remotely acess the platform for virtual work days.

Cons

Customer service need to be improved upon. If the company have issues it should be communictaed promptly to users.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Square gave us a multitude of options to fit our needs between paying contractors and switching to W2
Malin T.

GREAT for a small payroll.

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

I can only speak as someone is has a small payroll. It is easy, quick and at the end of the year, Square handles all the tax compliance. It is perfect for me immediate needs.

Pros

- The easy of use
- Taking care of tax compliance
- Direct deposit
- Affordable to SMB (small businesses)

Cons

- Reporting is a bit clumsy
- Support can be slow