Adobe Illustrator

4.0/5
4.3/5

7810 Software options

Jeffrey B.

Illustrator - the standard for graphic design

Reviewed on 24/09/2020

Overall my experience has been great. I definitely recommend AI if you are serious about design. It can handle any area of design and is a workhorse of a program - it is very flexible.

But with great flexibility, comes great complexity. So, therefore, even though I have a pretty good understanding of how to use Illustrator, there's still more for me to learn after many years. Not to mention they always add new features.

And I still have to take some time to creatively express exactly what I envision.

For this reason, I also use Affinity Designer on my Mac, alongside illustrator. The reason is, Affinity Designer is much more simple and certain tasks are quicker with Affinity.

However, anytime I need to do more complex stuff, such

Pros

The nice thing about Adobe Illustrator is you can do anything you want, as far as manipulating graphics and creating any digital artwork or illustration imaginable. It's so versatile in what you can do, that it also can seem very complex to the novice.

But if you stick with it and use it consistently or take some tutorials, once you learn the ins and outs of Adobe Illustrator, you begin to realize what it's capable of. I have used Inkscape and affinity designer and though I use affinity designer (due to the simplicity and quickness at some tasks), I always turn to Adobe Illustrator when I need to do more complex tasks.

I am old school, and typically like drawing by hand. The great thing about digital design is you can still get a tablet and draw by hand if you like. This is obvious to many people but some may not be aware or haven't made the jump over to trying a drawing tablet yet. If you haven't tried one and you love drawing with traditional media, you are going to love working with a tablet in Illustrator.

Cons

The biggest con I can think of is the learning curve. When first starting to use Adobe Illustrator is it can seem very complex. So when you're new, is a pretty big learning curve. With that said, I still am learning after 5+ years.

For this reason, I recommend taking some tutorials or classes to understand what illustrator is capable of and for learning what every tool does. Taking tutorials also gives you an insight into how to creatively use tools for different purposes.

I know when I first learned Illustrator. I had a good idea of what most tools did. But I just wasn't aware of the different use cases on how to creatively construct my artwork, actually using the tools. It was something that slowed me down, compared to just grabbing a pencil and paper and sketching out my vision.

But once you learn to use the different tools together, you start to get a flow going and you get quicker with time.

Affinity Designer and Inkscape

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

I chose adobe illustrator because it is well known as being a standard in the graphic design industry. So since I knew that it was one of the top choices, I started learning AI early on. However, over the years, they changed to a subscription model, which isn't ideal for everyone, and some may opt for a one-time fee software products. If that is you, and you don't demand the top of the line features and abilities, Affinity designer is a great choice. Inkscape is also a good free version, but I don't think the latest mac OS is compatible. But if you want the best of the best, adobe illustrator is it.
Tony R.
  • Industry: Design

Industry standard software for creating vector graphics

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

Adobe Illustrator is an essential part for my company, it is a companion that everyone in my company needs for their daily projects.

Pros

I like the amount of tools that are available inside the software that are designed to help me achieve a smooth workflow for my projects. The workspace customize ability of this software allow me to create an environment that ensure I can work my best in any projects.

Cons

I don't like the high pricing of the software and sometimes when I working, the software crash because of a bug but fortunately, my projects are saved in real time so it is not really a big trouble in my opinion.

Affinity Designer and CorelDRAW

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

I chose Adobe Illustrator because it is an industry standard software and having the powerful tools it bundled with that I can ensure my projects is done professionally and on timely manner to make my client satisfied.

A must-have vector graphics software for designers

Reviewed on 22/11/2021

I've been using Adobe Illustrator as a part of my Creative Cloud subscription for over 10 years and I enjoy it.

Pros

Illustrator has all the necessary tools for working with vector graphics. It has great integration with other Adobe products (i.e. After Effects), which makes it easy and quick to switch between them.

Cons

Illustrator allows you to work with vectors, but raster graphics have very limited support. Its competitor, Affinity, can work with both, and it's also ten times cheaper. The worst thing is that it often crushes.

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

It's a part of my Creative Cloud subscription that I have to pay for to use other Adobe tools.
Ivan M.
  • Industry: Printing

Illustrator allow us to process our clients demand so much faster.

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

I wish I learned Illustrator sooner, however, it is never too late. It has helped us so much in our company. Now we work 300% faster and take even more projects.

Pros

Apart from being an excellent design software, it is a most compatible software with many files extensions. It allows us to read and manipulate our client demands in excellent speed and accuracy.

Cons

There are so many things you can do in Illustrator I only wish there could be more, things like automatic nesting objects or to improve the simplify path tool.

CorelDRAW

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Illustrator

Photoshop is more of an editing colors and images software, I need accuracy, therefore we switched.

Adobe Photoshop

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

Illustrator seemed to be more advanced than any other vector software out there. Plus it is the industry standard, being so much more compatible with many files.
Chanaka A.
  • Industry: Design

Recommend for any user from beginner to advanced

Reviewed on 30/06/2021

I've been using Adobe Illustrator since CS6 to recent CC2020. Also I have used similar software in the past but with Adobe I think it's much better and easier to work with.
And with updates Adobe makes the Illustrator much better providing the new tools designers required.

Pros

I think what I like most is with the time Adobe was able to modify Illustrator into what the users needed with many new and updated facilities such as freeform gradient, Image trace and smooth tool.
Also being able to use the same files through any adobe software software is another good option.
Finally adobe stock and adobe fonts are quite good features I like a lot.

Cons

I think if Adobe could improve their OpenGL support that would be good because Illustrator does not support some machines.
Also I think it's better if Adobe could extend the basic image manipulation support a bit.

Matt B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Top of the line for vector graphics

Reviewed on 09/02/2021

Allows to create print-ready files through Image Trace to vectorize them, the ability to utilize proper files when working with print companies for in-house orders.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator makes vector graphics and designing for scalable/print an ease. Specifically, this product has helped me to take the limited size graphics we have licensed from curriculum use and using the Image Trace feature ensure I am able to resource our areas with the best looking print-ready files that they need.

When working with text and logos for our ministry areas and special events, to be able to create where I can scale across multiple print mediums: from large sized banners, to t-shirts to video, allowing to create one file that can export to the correct format is beneficial and ease of use versus creating a mammoth file in a non-vector application.

Cons

Illustrator is so vast in its functionality it took me a bit to get the handle on things - I am grateful for their support articles when there are areas and functions I am still learning. There is a slightly high learning-curve when you want to move beyond the basics.

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Illustrator

I switched because I began using the full Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, and its integration between not just graphic but also my work in Premiere and After Effects helped my workflow.

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

It best fit my workflow to utilize the full Creative Cloud Suite since I was creating and using files across the different Applications to remain within the native adobe applications.
Christopher S.

Premium tool that for digital file creation

Reviewed on 20/01/2021

My overall experience with Adobe Illustrator has been overwhelmingly positive. I use the software every day for the commercial branch of my software business. It has made designing prototype and digital files very easy. Now I can truly concentrate on the design rather than the added burden of slow and inefficient software tools.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the large number of features and ease of use. I tried to make due with freeware for a while, but I often ran into the freeware lacking the features I needed. Adobe illustrator makes creating SVG's, PNG's, and other digital files easy.

Cons

What I liked least is the pricing model. The only way to get adobe illustrator is with a subscription. While it's great for staying up to date, the option to own a version of the software would be great. Unfortunately this seems to be the new way that software s being sold , so I can't really call it a deal breaker.

Boxy SVG

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Illustrator

The software was painstakingly slow.

Inkscape

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

I used this for a while, but the features were lacking. Adobe Illustrator is the total package.
Shasta P.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

The most powerful vector art program there is.

Reviewed on 06/10/2020

I'd say my overall experience is very much love/hate. When I need it Adobe Illistrator is my knight in shininy amror, but throughout the general work grind it's too full of itself to be useful.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is easily the most powerful and easily extenisable vector art program available.
Because of that when nothing else works you can usually always count on Adobe Illustrator to get the job done.

Cons

Due to the rather extmre learning cuve and often clunky interface compared to it's top compeitors for most general light weight tasks Adobe Illustrator is my last choice. Despite having years of experience with it the speed and ease that general daily tasks can be done in other vecotor applications is some times stunning.

CorelDRAW, Inkscape and Affinity Designer

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

Because when I need to work with complex heavy detail vectors only Adobe Illustrator can handle the work load. Affinity Desighner's poor usage of computer hardware renders it nearly useless for larage complex projects. CorelDRAW is far too unstable to use for anything that has a tight deadline. Inkscape is an amazing project, but it's still growing needs time to truly mature.
Sandesh B.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Fast and clear

Reviewed on 22/09/2020

I am currently using it from past 6 months and it has given me the best experience. It has also helped me to unlock new potential I had but could not discover it. My skills got better in terms of logo design and banner design which were so subtle and basic before I started using the Illustrator.

I would pay the price to use this software if it comes to logo design, banner making and vector art - because of the cool elements of it. I'm fascinated by the sharp clear clarity on the vector art produced by this software. Wow!

Pros

I love the way art is manipulated into vector graphics because it can be infinitely enlarged and there is unlimited flexibility to make banners, logos, brochures, mock-ups, visiting cards to name a few out of thousands to millions.

These allow Adobe Illustrator to be helpful for the vector art, hand-drawn paints, illustrations. I love the way the software is built - let me give an example - if I draw freehand on any sketch or an image, it traces in a clean and sharp path. Unlike in Photoshop, the path gets distorted.

Basically I am a mechanical engineer and the flexibility this software has in storing or exporting the work to AutoCAD .dwg format is most appreciable.

I love to work with this software for logo design, banner design, simple text illustration or typography illustration. As it produces vector art, the design or any work created from it is sharp, crisp and possesses amazing aesthetic qualities.

Cons

It is not like Adobe Photoshop which allows us to edit raster images to endless possibilities. It is harder for any beginner unless he/she knows the basics of Photoshop. One needs to understand the basics of graphics design to get hold of this software. The options are bit tough to understand and tools needs deeper understanding of graphic design.

I did not like the idea of storing the images, it is hard for any beginner to choose from several options with sub-options. Swatch panel colours gets disappeared and I should go to settings to arrange them back. Cannot trace an image properly using the artificial intelligence inside Illustrator.

Burhan K.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best Industry Standard Vector Designing Software, Period

Reviewed on 24/04/2019

I've been using Adobe Illustrator since I stepped into the software industry—almost 4 years now. The tool has no comparison to other tools currently available in the market. I mostly use Illustrator for designing illustrations, icons for mobile and websites, wireframes for mobiles, and print documents like brochures, business cards, etc. I now use Sketch for designing UI, but it's really hard to design icons there. So I design icons in Illustrator and copy those icons to sketch. This is the best tool and it's an industry standard.

Pros

Work on Windows, Mac, iPad, and even on iPhone with limited features.
You can have multiple artboards when designing in Illustrator.
A lot of tools to make your workflow easier. For building shapes, it has tools like pen tool, Pathfinder and shape builder.
It has a dynamic gradient feature, which means your gradient is not limited to a linear or radial gradient. You can create a gradient with as many colors and as many points as you like and you can change the position of those color points too. Now our gradient colors can go into multiple directions. So no need to create multiple gradient layers and blend those.
Advanced features to round the corners of sharp corners. You can make rounded corner by putting value as well as you can drag a small icon near points with mouse.
One of the reason to use Adobe Creative Cloud softwares is their Echo System. You can use your work designed in Illustrator and directly Import in After Effects.
You can also copy elements from Illustrator (Ctrl+C) and directly paste it in Photoshop (Ctrl+V). And this also works in Sketch for Mac.
There are a lot of features like perspective tool, If you wanna create an illustration in a single or multiple point perspective. Blend tool, Mesh tool, 3d Effects and many more.
You can also create symbols and changing in one place will change it everywhere.
Exporting Assets are just one click away.
Tons of shortcuts to speed up your workflow.

Cons

The long learning curve, especially when you have no previous design background. So expect to invest at least 6-12 months to fully master it.

You have to fully grasp the core concepts of it when playing with paths and shapes. Joining paths perfectly using the grid may take time If you have not much experience with it.

Scott C.
  • Industry: Media Production

Old Dog, New Tricks

Reviewed on 26/06/2020

Overall, Adobe Illustrator has allowed me to supplement my artistic talent with true computer power. I am able to produce things I would never have been able to produce with my bare hand, and with intuitive speed and power, I am able to produce more and faster than I ever would otherwise, so really as a creative professional - what else can you ask for?

Pros

There may be newer vector illustration platforms out there that are born into the saas or cloud era, but Adobe Illustrator is a journeyman and still packs a wallop. I have tinkered with other software and there are some cute tools and bells and whistles out there, but for the pixel perfect execution that I need to build graphics or even certain works of pure art, there is no beating the bezier tool, workspace, and functionality that I've spent the majority of my career honing. And I would still say I only use the program to about 75% of it's full potential, there are just certain things I've been too lazy to watch a tutorial on.

Cons

I think for many years Adobe ran a fat operation and charged a premium on their suite that most entry level designers both needed, and couldn't afford. Their Creative Cloud offering seems to be somewhat in recognition of this, especially if you use the full software suite, then it's a value. But for one or two apps, it's just a monthly burden that never goes away (still an improvement on the craaaaaazy price tags they used to have for a license). It would be nice if at a certain point, you just owned the stuff. Though in their defense, they are always working on it and have consistently released full version updates and incremental fixes and now they are trying to almost become a creative lifestyle brand with all kinds of templates and stock and even acquiring the Behance artists' network...so it has become a bit of a club, and you get more than the tools. There's inspiration, and a whole lot of "freebies" to download for every app.

Govinda H.

Review for Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 13/01/2020

Overall, I think it is a software that offers a lot of functions and provides value for money. It helps me with my learning curve and can visually represent almost anything you want.

Pros

Adobe illustrator is completely scalable and works well with designing logos and cartoons which is what I basically do. You also have in-panel editing which makes it better. It is user-friendly too.

Cons

The fact that it offers limited support for raster graphics and that it requires a lot of patience. The loading time is also very high, comparatively.

Inkscape and GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Illustrator

Because adobe illustrator had much more options that Inkscape. Ofcourse the amount I paid justifies what I get but still it provides more value than any other software.

Inkscape

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

Primarily because it is the easiest way to generate and produce graphics. Also, whatever we make on this software is easily scalable and adjustable across any media platform one can name.
David Y.
  • Industry: Publishing

An Essential Tool for Graphic Designers

Reviewed on 16/08/2019

I often need to create vector-based art and logos. Vector files are advantageous because they can be scaled to any size with no loss in quality or resolution. Thus, if I need to create a logo that can be sized to 1,200% for a large banner, I can output a vector file in formats such as .eps, .ai, and .pdf that can be used by commercial printers. It's an essential product for this type of work.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator solves the problems that I need to have solved in my graphic design role. It enables me to create vector-based art and logos, which is essential for printed material. It is an excellent complement to Adobe Photoshop, and I use the two programs interchangeably, and also in harmony with Adobe InDesign.

Cons

Unlike Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator is a bit more complicated to use. However, I found answers to every question I've ever had (there have been many) on the Adobe Help pages as well as via Google searches. New users need to understand that Illustrator is a high-end design program, so the rules that govern its operations are more complex than what you would find in, for example, PowerPoint. However, those who are willing to follow the tutorials will find that Illustrator is an invaluable asset.

Liam S.

Vector Art for the win

Reviewed on 29/04/2019

I use Illustrator every day, opening it up is reflexive when I get to work. I've also taken advantage of the additional functionality available using it with a Wacom tablet and pen which opens up a whole new range of possibilities. My design skills have grown, just as Adobe has continued to grow the functionality fo the program over the years.

Pros

Illustrator is my go-to for graphic design, and it's getting better all the time. You can be super precise compared to editing raster images with Photoshop. In Illustrator, you can make cuttingly straight lines and big bold designs. The only limit is your imagination! Best of all, Adobe is rolling out new features all the time. The Puppet mode, trim view, and new gradient tool, just to name a few, are awesome innovations. You can tell they are not content with doing what they've always done, Adobe is learning and changing right along with us, and I appreciate that. The new layouts have also been a big improvement, as it's always been a challenge to have your perfect tool set up when there are so many to choose from.

Cons

Learning the many tools can be a big learning curve, not to mention all the new ones that are becoming available with every update. You can't fully appreciate the new gradient tool unless you've been stuck with the limitations of the old one for years. And even when you do master the controls, it's not a guarantee you will be pumping out amazing designs. At the end of the day, the tool is limited to the creativity of the user. But Adobe is doing what it can to make this software as versatile and powerful as it can be.

Krishan K.

Whenever I thought to create any vector, Adobe illustrator is my priority tool to develop any...

Reviewed on 29/06/2018

I learnt a lot from adobe illustrator. It has become part of my life. I have created numerous designs using adobe illustratror. It give me idea of perspective. It gave me knowledge to enhance my graphics. It is the best software I have ever used for the purpose of graphic designing. I am earning my bread and butter using adobe illustratror. Thank you very much for adobe to develop such a nice software. I am using adobe illustrator in my organisation to create each design like logo design, pamphlet design, advertising design, card design etc. Everyone appreciate my work to create such nice designs, but I appreciate to illustrator to provide such nice functionality and tools to create these kind of designs.

Pros

Adobe illustrator is a fine software with Rich set of tools and functionality. It is best suited to develop 2d vector images, 3d vector images, logos, icons with very sharp and deep edges. Due to producing finest quality of vector, Adobe illustrator has become my first choice to make any 2d or 3d vector design.
There is variety of tools with ease of use them, which makes illustratror more adaptable to a user. I strongly recommend Adobe illustrator to web and print purpose graphics design. There are many other graphics tool available in the market but illustrator is something else it convert your imagination to reality in terms of graphics designing.

Cons

If I thought for CONS, then it will be really very difficult for me. But I would definitely say that there should be a training forum started from adobe who will teach to others, and there should be some kind of contents also be organised.
I know this is not a CONS for illustrator.
But this is what I thought to be done, otherwise everything is fine.

Jude M.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Fashion Ninja’s drawing tool!

Reviewed on 01/09/2020

The ability to work seamlessly from department to department. If my program crashes I retrieve files from cloud. I do this at work but at home I must save otherwise I have to pay extra for cloud service. I’ve been using illustrator since 2005 and use its everyday on the job. Even though I’ve spent a lot of money before buying a license and now subscribing, the ROI is worth it!

Pros

Huge time saver if you create a library of bodies which you can easily swap out details when drawing. Saving time & bring quick can earn more $$$. You Can work on either multiple layers or on a single layer. It’s compatible with photoshop and you can update easy using smart objects. Can make amazing presentation and arrange objective with relative ease. I’d say 99% of fashion companies are using adobe products which makes it easier to transfer files and work remote. There are a small amount of people starting work on Procreate which is less expensive and my co-workers mentioned learning curve is easier.

Cons

It’s getting expensive. Before you could buy off the shelf and spend roughly $600-$1000. Now You must have a subscription. If you are a professional designer it’s a must. learning curve to draw is hard but once you master it is easy, fast and efficient. A lot of designers are using Procreate independently and are starting to bring their work into the workforce. However, most fashion companies still use Adobe products including Illustrator, question is for how long. Last illustrator doesnt have the filters that you find in photoshop but that’s why you need photoshop too.

Sean G.
  • Industry: Printing

Updates Keep Making Illustrator Better

Reviewed on 23/09/2020

Love Illustrator, I use it everyday and it is an essential tool for my business. I recommend Illustrator to anyone starting out in their careers and questioning which software they should choose to start learning on. There are other capable options available, but the vast majority of the art I receive from my clients, and all the art I create are made on Illustrator, because it just works.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is the professional design tool of choice for vector related graphics. It has all the tools, software power and flexibility needed to stand out above the competition. It has a huge user base with countless online videos, tutorials and plugins to learn and achieve any results you are looking to create. It also ties in nicely with the entire Adobe suite, so it is easy to transfer your files between different softwares and just know that everything will work and be as seamless as possible.

Cons

My biggest complaint with Illustrator used to be the limited canvas size available to work within, so all large projects had to be built at a smaller scale and then upsized for printing which would sometimes have issues with changing stroke widths and effects not upscaling properly if the files weren't setup perfectly. Adobe has recently fixed this in newer updates and they now allow for massive file sizes so everything can be built at full scale. This isn't quite as easy as I would like though, you need to setup the original file to have an oversized artboard, and as far as I can tell a file created on a smaller artboard can't be easily converted up to a large one.

Javiera M.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

An absolute must for graphic designers

Reviewed on 02/05/2019

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is one of the three basic tools for graphic designers –along with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign. It is in my opinion the one with the most accessible learning curve of the three. You can really go a long way with very little training. However, this software is so powerful that even after 10 years of daily use I am still learning new functionalities that make my work easier and faster.

Illustrator excels at vector image creation but is versatile enough to allow you to incorporate raster images into its files as well. It borrows some filter functionality from Photoshop and allows for perspective designs as well –although admittedly I have not explored that aspect to its full extent. Some people even use it to build more complex, text-centric documents and it does very well even though it is not intended for that purpose.

Cons

When it comes to larger-sized print documents, such as billboards, Adobe Illustrator might not be your best bet. The canvas allows for a maximum of about 18-19 feet.

Although I appreciate the graph tool, the way that it has been set up makes it more difficult than necessary to adjust the aspect and I sometimes feel my creativity gets locked in as the data presentation settings are not malleable enough.

The other aspect that may be considered a con but it's really not is based on its text-handling abilities. It does not allow for such in-depth control over text as does Adobe InDesign because it is not intended to do so.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Powerful vector graphics builder!

Reviewed on 14/11/2018

I work full-time as a designer plus do some freelance side jobs. Illustrator is my go-to for creating custom logos and vector graphics.

Pros

My favorite aspects of this software are it's pen (bezier) and shape building tools. When creating vector paths/shapes, the pen tool is able to be adjusted using shortcuts while in use - allowing you to both adjust the location of the anchor point AND the shape of the path at the same time. This control is extremely user-friendly as you don't need to commit to creating a point where you click, but can move it around to the exact location you want before finalizing. It sounds small, but it's an amazing feature. In addition, the shape building tool is fantastic. It lets me create complex, custom objects by combining/overlapping basic shapes together. Then I can highlight all the shapes and use the builder tool to quickly merge or remove the overlapped bits. It might sound confusing, but once you get in there, it's really easy to do and lets you create professional work even if your drawing ability is lacking.

Cons

Like most Adobe Programs, it's bloated with tools and interfaces. This was recently improved significantly in their 2019 update.. as now they have one panel that detects what tools you may want/need based on what is selected. However there's still a ton to learn before you can access it's full potential. That being said - the potential available is one of the exciting aspects of the program, so the extra learning required pays off.

Illustrator has no competitors.

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

Pros

Illustrator does everything a vector drawing program needs to do, plus a ton of other stuff I would never have thought of (and some I still haven't had occasion to try, in 15+ years of using it). Once you get the hang of the interface, the workflow is exquisite. It's full of well-thought-out keyboard shortcuts that make it possible to complete complex procedures rapidly, and workspace presets that display only the most relevant tools for the type of task at hand.

What I love most about all of Adobe's creation software is that with the endless keyboard shortcuts and combinations, using it well becomes like playing a musical instrument you develop skills that can be stored as motor memory, allowing your conscious mind to focus on creative decisions while your hands do all the work.

Illustrator can read and export just about every format relevant to vector work (and then some), so when you're working with a variety of clients and can't predict what kind of files they'll be bringing to you, it's a pretty safe bet you'll be able to open anything. Of course, chances are their files were created in Illustrator anyway, because it's pretty much the industry standard. When it comes to all the different file types you might need to export for web, 2D presses, 3D printers, laser cutters, screen printing, etc., Illustrator has always had me covered.

Cons

It takes some time to fully train yourself on the many, many aspects of using Illustrator effectively. That said, even a novice can open it up and get SOMETHING done. It'll just take a lot longer, and they likely won't make use of many of the available features until some experience has been gained. Since it's been around so long and is so widely used, any questions that come up can always be answered with a quick Google search, which will bring up tutorials published by Adobe and others, as well as forums where the trickier questions have already been discussed.

Being such a feature-rich program, it's also a bulky program to run. That's fine as long as you're working with state-of-the-art hardware, but could start to get tricky if you're stuck on an old machine.

• Industry: Design

Preferred vector based graphics software on the market!

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

As a Graphic Designer and Illustrator, I have been using Illustrator on a daily basis for over 6 years. It is the most versatile vector based graphics software, and I prefer it above anything else. It was a bit intimidating when I first began to learn during my training in school, but It has since become second nature to me.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator has all of the functionally of tools you need to create flawless vector designs, useful for novice to advanced designers. It allows you to create simple vector drawings to complex 3D elements. Once you learn the basics, it becomes easier to use over time. One thing that is really helpful is that I can work with multiple art boards, which allows me to make different versions of a design and be able to view them side by side. Being able to store elements outside of the art boards is really beneficial and saves me a lot of time. I really love that I don’t necessarily have to work in layers. Illustrator can be integrated smoothly with other Adobe applications.

Cons

Illustrator is very difficult to learn if you are not professionally trained, as there are certain complex formulations to creating vector graphics. It is a bit expensive, but is to be expected with a high professional graphics software. The application can be buggy, even after updates. It’s interface can be difficult to navigate, and sometimes tools will randomly get hidden under other visible tools. Some tools can be annoying to turn off if you accidentally choose them. But to me, those are just minor irritations.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great for vector graphics if already in the Adobe ecosystem, but other software can do it...

Reviewed on 23/04/2018

Pros

As with any Adobe software, once you know one program you can pretty much pick up the rest quite easily. So, if you are already familiar with Photoshop and Indesign, then this will be a piece of cake to learn. However, if you don't have any experience in these programs the learning curve can be rather steep. What's great about this program is that there are very few limitations. Basically whatever you see in your minds eye, you can create. There are a plethora of tools that can meet any of your illustration needs (and plenty of plugins that can be found online that will expand your tool set as well)

Cons

A major downside is that because Adobe's software is developed by different teams, it can sometimes be frustrating that a tool that works so well in one program is incredibly underdeveloped in another. For example, the transform tools in Photoshop are fantastic; you can warp an image to anyway you see fit. The transform tools in Illustrator however, for a very long time, lacked a lot to be desired (and while I know that this has been fixed in recent updates, it's still a point of contention for me). In a lot of ways, the competing software "Affinity Designer" has expanded upon and surpassed the capabilities of Illustrator. It's masking tools, the way it handles layers, and pathfinder functionality far exceed Illustrator's. If I wasn't already so deep in Adobe's world, I would consider using that program more frequently.

Gavin D.
  • Industry: Automotive

The Gold Standard for Vector Graphics

Reviewed on 06/10/2020

Overall, Adobe Illustrator is the best vector graphics software in the industry. It integrates nicely with their other products, such as PhotoShop, and is recognized by companies everywhere as the only software to use for logo design. I would highly recommend Illustrator to anyone who asks, it is well worth the monthly subscription.

Pros

The genius of Illustrator is in the layout of the software. Vector graphics don't have to be complex (although they can be, if you would like them to) and Adobe designed the tools with that in mind. As a whole, it's fairly intuitive to use, the editing options are superb, and the depth of features really set it apart from other vector graphics software products. It truly is the gold standard.

Cons

While being fairly easy to navigate, the learning curve is quite steep at first. It comes with an array of tools so vast that I'm convinced even professional graphic designers rarely use most of them. However, that's not to say that Adobe should get rid of them, I just think that having multiple interfaces for beginners that hides those initially confusing tools could be useful.

CorelDRAW

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Illustrator

I chose Adobe Illustrator over Corel Draw because of the recommendations of my colleagues in the graphic design world. Every single one of them said that Illustrator was unparalleled in the vector graphic space.

Easy and useful graphic design program

Reviewed on 04/11/2019

You can use Adobe Illustrator with peace of mind in any design you create with vectors without using real photos. Already I use Adobe Illustrator for 3-5 years. I can do many edits or create by Adobe illustrator. for instance graphic design, web design, site interfaces, firms; like business cards, posters, brochure, logo, banner design. Besides, you can work on every detail clearly and this is not overlooked.

Pros

Adobe Illustrator is part of Adobe pack and in general, it is used by designers. Adobe Illustrator graphic design program. Adobe illustrator is a very easy and useful program. Adobe Illustrator is preferred according to these functions. Customers can make a logo, brochure or flyer design, etc by Adobe Illustrator. The reason why Adobe Illustrator loved by customers is the vector feature.

Cons

If I say the truth, the license price is not cheap for us. in my opinion this is creating a problem for other customers. I can't see any problem related to features except that. But we would like to see new updates and additional features.

Chad W.

A powerful and precise tool for editing vector graphics and more

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

Illustrator is my go-to for creating and editing icons, logos, user interfaces. It has lots of robust features that have been time-tested by creatives for decades. It does have a bit of a learning curve for new users, but people familiar with Photoshop or InDesign will have no problem navigating.

Pros

Some people think Illustrator is unnecessary when Photoshop and InDesign both have vector editing capabilities, but Illustrator is so much more than a clone. The way that Illustrator is laid out - its interface, toolbars, property panels, asset exports - are all centered around quickly and powerfully iterating on vector assets.

Illustrator is all about giving precise control over every piece of every asset in a reusable way. Lines and anchors all have precise positions and orientations, down to the thousandths of a pixel. Strokes and fills can be stacked and affected in different ways. The artboard layout combined with traditional layers is perfect for creating a dozen related graphics. Guidelines and grids are very powerful as well, with recent updates making snapping smarter and more helpful.

Cons

Illustrator takes a little bit to get used to, and the 2018 UI update (while I love it) can be confusing at times. For example, if you click on a group of shapes and look at the properties panel you may see half of the options and commands, while clicking on a single shape gives you the other half of them.

There is one big thing missing from Illustrator compared to the Sketch app: editable pathfinder layers. In Sketch you can stack shapes and select whether they unite, minus front, divide, etc. Then you can move and tweak those shapes until it's perfect. I SO wish you could do this in Illustrator, but sadly you have to move your shapes first and descructively unite and divide them.