Alma

Empower progress. Spark potential.

4.2/5
4.0/5
4.3/5
4.6/5

263 Software options

April W.

Alma Software Review (SBG school)

Reviewed on 13/07/2021

Support has been very helpful, typically it seems we have questions that either haven't been asked before or are not implemented yet. Faculty/staff is able to access the reports tab which helps them track students and contacts quickly and has access to student records and class schedules.

Pros

Alma is easier than our former software and allows us to use our Standards Based Grading which is our priority. Parents were able to quickly learn how to use the system and the attendance feature is great. Students were also able to learn the system and although it doesn't have a comprehensive calendar with their schedules and our school activities, they were able to use the daily tab to track their classes.

Cons

The calendar is static and unable to be exported to phones/other calendars so we had to create an app for that. The reports are not as in-depth as needed and we aren't able to save our filters/criteria that we use often. They are still working on SBG reporting so many items we aren't able to track as we typically do through reports. The report card set up is limited for what we need in our report cards; we had to use every work-around to get a report card as we needed, but they do work now.

Schoology and PraxiSchool

Reasons for Choosing Alma

K-12 was trying to start Standards Based Grading but didn't meet our deadline.

Reasons for Switching to Alma

It has what we needed for Standard Based Grading both in assignments and report cards for tracking.

Good if your users are not picky

Reviewed on 05/10/2021

Was the right move at the right time (web based - SAS)

Pros

Web based
Fast
Quick support
Google SSO
SAS

Cons

Email editor is TOO basic.
Report writer is not flexible, cost per extra fields.
Retrieve unenrolled student's data from previous years should be easier.
Apply changes to multiple classes, schedules, etc should allow to select randomly or by criteria.
Backup/Restore feature not available.
Mixed Letter, Numbers and Standards based grades are not compatible.
Transcripts reports must allow more flexible design.

PowerSchool Unified Classroom and Schoology

Reasons for Choosing Alma

Complete suite must be web based on the cloud

Lower cost Technical support
E. F.

Great Support!

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

We have always had great success with Alma. They are supportive, friendly, and responsive.

Pros

The customer service reps are always kind and supportive. They are quick to respond and ready to help out. They even change their software based on suggestions.

Cons

There is nothing that I find to be the least liked about this software. They are always willing to help and update.

Dan Z.

Alma SIS in a small, rural, school district.

Reviewed on 17/07/2021

The staff at Alma are excellent. The transition was difficult because it needed to occur over a short timeframe. But the support was there and we pulled it off.

Pros

Alma integrated well with Google Apps and provided integrations with other third party software. The interface and design were well thought out with the end-user in mind. Running reports and editing the data are easy and intuitive - and those are the most important aspects of an SIS. The support was excellent, and always available through the Alma Academy.

Cons

We would like a module that would allow our cafeteria software to integrate so parents could see their child's lunch balance in the same place they view their child's schedule, teacher, and fees. There were also growing pains, as state-required data collections differ in every state and sometimes this meant there were duplicate or similar data fields that confused some of our clerical staff.

Camrynne S.

Great user interface

Reviewed on 29/01/2021

The transition from a different software was pretty smooth. Support has been helpful. Our teachers are happy with the system. Parents haven't complained. No real hidden fees (unless we want to have them add custom fields or custom reports). We are happy with Alma, and looking forward to ongoing development of additional functionality.

Pros

Alma has a great user interface! It is much more intuitive, FUN, and easy to use than the software we were using previously. It really shines in the LMS arena. Our registrar is very happy with how the class configuration, grades, report cards, etc. work in Alma. Our teachers appreciate the ease of use and the integration with Google Classroom. Our parents appreciate not having to pay for the app. We appreciate that so far there aren't a lot of extra add-ons that you have to pay for. The pricing tiers are very straightforward. They roll out new features/functionality regularly.

Cons

Because Alma started as an LMS and added SMS/SIS functionality, you can see that it shines the most in LMS functions. There have been quite a few data fields that we were accustomed to using in our old system that do not exist in Alma. You can pay extra to have them developed/added, but there is no way to do that yourself. As for reports, there are good default reports in the system, and you can do a fair amount of custom reports, but it is not as comprehensive as we had hoped. We wish Alma had a way to give parents access to directory information (of other parents in their grade or the whole school. We wish it had a way for parents to enter/track their volunteer hours. We wish it had more functionality in the emergency contact/ medical information. We wish it had a more robust lesson planning capability.

FACTS

Reasons for Choosing Alma

Lower cost, better user interface

FACTS

Price, functionality, user interface
James L.

GETALMA for International Schools

Reviewed on 29/04/2020

I’m very satisfied with the overall performance of GetAlma, and I highly recommend it!

Pros

1) The features that where the most impactful:
-Attendance and Report Cards

2.) Is the product easy to use?
-The learning curve was a little steep in the beginning, but because of fantastic customer support, all concerns were quickly answered and solutions were given/suggested that solved the problems.

3.) Was the integration with your existing business processes easy?
-Teachers found it easy to use overall.

Cons

1.) Are there features you feel are missing or could be improved?
a.) Finer granular control over the lay-outing of the templates.
b.) Ability to add drop-down dates in some places.
c.) Manual inputting of each teacher’s class schedules for all grade levels is tedious. Alma should have a built-in feature of uploading .CSV files for creating and updating class schedules instead of using an optional 3rd party service.
d.) The sandboxed sites for testing the look and feel of creating classes and report cards are geared for US school systems and not for international school systems, and which I did not find very useful.
e.) There should be a feature during the initial set-up of the school year to allow certain weekends that can be ticked-off as part of the school year.

2.) Are there aspects of the product that are difficult to use?
-ALMA Start (for creating online school enrollment forms, online parent info access, etc.) is a little complicated to learn and implement without a sandboxed testing environment when the school year has already started.

Theresa S.

Alma Software - The Superstar of Student Information Systems!

Reviewed on 13/03/2019

Pros

Alma's ease of use for all stakeholder is top notch. Teachers, parents, students and office personnel can easily navigate through this platform with minimal clicks, all the tools and information you need as a user are right there in front of you. You no longer have to click 4 layers deep to find what you are looking for. Alma also provides an easy way to communicate with all stakeholders. While in the gradebook you can email students and parents, eliminating the need to use a secondary software program.

Along with a traditional grading program, Alma provides a true standards/competency based platform. This SIS has grown alongside the change in educational trends, meeting the needs of schools, transitioning their assessment/evaluation practices.

Support services for Alma are outstanding. The customer support team is available in the matter of minutes, assisting and answering all questions one might have. The team is extremely knowledgeable, friendly and willing to take an idea you might suggest and make it happen! This support team makes transition/roll over periods stress free!

Cons

Alma's reporting section for state reports and other school information reports still needs to develop. As time goes on I believe Alma will continue to make improvements in this area. Reports are currently available in a a basic excel or csv files. These files work for what we need, but I feel this area could develop more in the future.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

It took a little getting used to at first, but I really ended up liking it.

Reviewed on 12/07/2018

Pros

First of all, I liked how often improvements were made throughout the year. It seemed that ALMA was always looking for ways to continue to improve the software in order to make it more user friendly. As a PE teacher, my grading system is quite different from the classroom teacher. I have 19 different classes (K-6) with about 30 students in each class. Each class would attend PE 2x each week. At first, it was very arduous to submit all the grades, one student at a time, at the end of each term. One of the improvements that occurred during this past school year, was to be able to submit an entire class's grades at the same time! That one change lightened my work load tremendously! And made it so I looked forward to doing grades instead of dreading it!

Cons

As I became more familiar with the features of the software, I became more comfortable using it, but I regret that it took me into my 2nd year using it, to become the most comfortable. Even so, the thing I liked the least about using this software was when I needed to make changes to the lesson details and maneuvering around the different tabs was a but cumbersome to have. Too many steps to have to make the changes I needed to. Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Said S.

Alma the soul of your education

Reviewed on 01/07/2021

For a long school year such as a semester or a full year it has been phenomenal as a portfolio for classes with my students

Pros

As a teacher I can say that Alma is one of the best virtual classrooms that I have tried, it is an all-in-one and something that I love is the management of evaluations and students without having to resort to any other external platform.
The function that I use the most is evaluative management since right there I can check my lists for the student report card system as well as the grade assigned to the same task and document

Cons

It is difficult to say that Alma has something bad, rather something not so good and that is first-hand integration, but once learned it is phenomenal

Lynette V.

Alma: A Teacher's Point of View

Reviewed on 15/05/2019

Our overall experience has been satisfactory. We rarely have the "drama" we dealt with when using our previous software. Keeping up to date more quickly and making changes to make the teacher use more efficient and faster would be of big help.

Pros

Our school was first drawn to Alma because it combined a good software to meet student, parent, and teacher needs with great value. Customer service is fantastic. If any of us ask an online question, help is quick.

Cons

Alma takes a long time to keep up with the times. For example, we have used it several years, but they just added the ability to enter a score on one student's grade book for a given assignment, and then hit enter, and then an automatic opening to the next student's grade to enter. In effect, it now performs well with a number key pad. Entry was singularly entered one a time which was so slow. In addition, there should be a quicker way to approve report cards. Finally, because we want students to monitory their grades, it would be helpful for them to have their own password access for limited viewing, keeping the parent password private for fuller access.

Kristen P.

Definitely a Product for Educators

Reviewed on 08/05/2020

Having just come from a visually exhausting, not user-friendly information management and grading system, Alma has been a breath of fresh air. It was a pretty easy transition, figuring out the lay of the land. I was never confident on the old system. After only a few months into using Alma, I feel like I have a really good grasp on using it, and if not, I know that they have a great support system to help me out if I get stuck.

Pros

Is the Alma system absolutely perfect in every way? No product out there is! What has really impressed me about Alma is their incredible support team and communication. If we (the people using Alma) have a need and make a suggestion, they are lightning fast in coming up with a solution that fits the need. It is incredibly user friendly, visually appealing in its organization, and houses all of the tools we need for student information management in one tidy place.

Cons

My only wish would be to see a record of the messages that are sent directly to students and parents. However, Alma does allow you to send the message to your email, so it is possible to keep a record of messages that way.

Marci K.

We are happy with Alma

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

We are very pleased with Alma and the implementation process.

Pros

Its ease of use is perfect, Easily adaptable to our school environment.

Cons

there are a few minor features that are missing

Blackboard Collaborate

Reasons for Choosing Alma

Rediker was too clunky, too expensive, and way more than we needed.

Administrator's Plus

Reasons for Switching to Alma

Its integration with Schoology.
Ryan P.

Alma SIS- Big pros and small cons

Reviewed on 30/04/2020

EXCELLENT support. The resources provided are clear and helpful, and support staff are more responsive than any other product or service I have experienced. Absolute top notch support.

Pros

In addition to standard features of other applications, this product provides the ability to generate customized reports on just about any type of student data, and also automates the bulk of our report card procedure.

Cons

This product does not compile data well- eg. Student grades or attendance expressed as an overall average, rather than being listed by course. Additionally, while attendance by class records is supported, this data is of limited reporting functionality compared to attendance by day.

Ricky D.

Love this tool. Love the customer service even more.

Reviewed on 16/03/2016

We moved from a very expensive and ridiculously difficult system to this one and it has made things so much easier.

So far we use Alma mainly for the Grade Book and Attendance and it works really well.

Attendance has gone through some changes since we signed up in September 2015 and this has caused a little confusion but once you understand what's happening (contact support) it's quite simple to use. Don't let this deter you though because I've already been assured that changes are coming.

Speaking of which you won't get empty promises from these folks. I've requested a couple of updates since we signed up and some were even implemented within a couple of weeks.

Everyone is nice to you when they're trying to get your money. The true test of a company's motives is the way they treat their customers after the sale. Well Alma have passed this test with flying colors.

Every user (teacher and admin) has direct access to support so queries are usually dealt with pretty quickly since there is no need for support requests to go through me :)

One of the best things you can do when you get started is to go through the online documentation in the support area. Many of my questions were answered right there. Be warned though - you may need to actually read :O

As far as I can tell there is no perfect system out there (and I tried a ton of them before I found Alma) but with the constant improvements, beautiful interface and top notch customer support you'd be hard pressed to find a better solution.

Creating reports cards was actually enjoyable and teachers were very pleasantly surprised by the simplicity of the process on their end.

We also haven't been compelled to adopt all the modules at once. Adopting one small section at a time has made transitioning from our old, very outdated processes quite smooth and I for one can't wait to dive into the other features like parent portals and school fees.

You guys have a fan for life here :)

Response from Alma

Hi Ricky,

We have LOVED working First Baptist Christian School and we look forward to many more years together! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. As you said, we are constantly improving the platform and we will keep you updated with any changes.

Thanks!
Elizabeth

Lauren B.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Used for an elementary, has great services, could be improved.

Reviewed on 24/06/2018

Pros

I LOVE the customer service. They are always willing to work with us and help us adapt the program to what we need. I love the many different reporting features and how they each have a unique description that helps me find exactly what I need. I also like that I can star the reports I frequently use. I like that I am able to easily fill in grades in the "gradebook" tab, as well as having the opportunity to quickly report final grades at the end of the term. I am also happy with the ease in resetting a password for a user who has forgotten theirs as well as the quick ability to change a username. I appreciate that many users can have access to the same information (meaning a student and both of their parents can have their own accounts but access the same information on their child). I think overall I am mostly impressed with Alma's support team, how quickly and professionally they respond, how they will not let me leave the conversation until they are satisfied that all of my questions have been answered and my concerns resolved, and I love that they are constantly updating, making the website better, and then sending out an email with all of the updates and detailed instructions on how to utilize them.

Cons

I feel the website could be slightly more user friendly. There are often times it takes longer than I would like to access the information that I need (a lot of clicking through redundant tabs and not a lot of short cuts). I also wish it was easier for parents to understand the website. I don't like that there is no easy way for a parent to access a student's missing work, instead having to look through each class and assignment to see what has and has not been turned in. I also wish there was a way for us, as administrators and teachers, to see exactly what the parents see. It is hard to give advice and support to a parent when their screen looks different from mine; and I often don't know if they can see everything that I can, like all of the notes and assignment descriptions and what not. Otherwise, I am mostly happy with Alma.

April B.

Easy to use and provides an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed on 04/05/2018

I am able to quickly get in touch with my students at any time regarding any matter that needs to be addressed.

Pros

I like the fact that this software is simple to use with no prior instructions needed to start. I was able to accurately use the software the same day that I bought it meaning that I was able to really get a grasp on how it works. I also am a fact that I can create a file report for each student and write notes daily to track their progress. This is not something that seems to be common with software, but I appreciate the added touch.

Cons

I wish that the software gave me the ability to see absences as well as when students have been tardy. Having this information handy would allow me to file my reports more accurately. I also am not a fan of the price tag, I feel as though it could be cheaper.

Donna A.

Alma

Reviewed on 04/05/2020

A lot of our files were in separate places (ie, paper copies, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc) prior to Alma and now have been collated in one software. This has allowed for an increase in efficiency among staff. Alma has been very helpful in the onboarding process and very attentive and willing to help out as much as they can. With the ongoing pandemic, the customer engagement staff member assigned to us has reached out often and checked in regarding our process.

Pros

I really appreciate the user friendly interface of the software. Most of the features are very intuitive and whenever I have questions, the customer engagement team responds quickly and with direct answers. The software also facilitates data sharing among administrators, parents, and teachers.

Cons

I do think that they could improve in some of the fields and attributes that are designated to the student's bio. They can also add a way to integrate the fees component to Alma Start so that parents can make payments through their processes. I also think that in the student SIS, the picture icon could be made larger or if clicked on become a bigger picture. While they have made improvements for the medical section by adding the immunizations feature, they should probably expand on that by adding other fields.

Tyler P.

I've been using alma daily for 3.5 as a teacher and find it to be incredibly user friendly.

Reviewed on 27/02/2018

As a teacher, alma makes it very easy for me to keep students and families up to date on student progress.

Pros

Alma's user interface is easy to navigate every step of the way - from taking attendance to posting and grading assignments to creating and publishing report cards. Features are easy to use and customizable by class. Their customer support team is consistently responsive to requests and does an effective job communicating and offering support for new features.

Cons

In the future, I'd love to see alma develop an app for mobile devices or a more user-friendly mobile version of the website.

Yaacov S.

An Education Driven Product!

Reviewed on 12/05/2020

Pros

I love the value. After looking into many products, we chose Alma because it was the only affordable program that offered true mastery based grading. Alma also has world class customer service. The interface is clean and always being developed. We recently ugraded our service plan because we are so happy with the program.

Cons

There are some features that I would like to see developed, but that is true of every software. Over time, they will develop those features.

Scott M.

Education

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

I have used the attendance feature to track when specific students are absent from school. It's nice to identify where the patterns are and try to fix them.

Pros

I enjoy using the attendance feature and Alma. I like the shortcut that has a "mark all" as present.

Cons

Designing report cards within the interface is a little tricky. I am on year three of using it and have now discovered that you can embed report card comments for later use. I like this feature.

David T.

Intuitive and Efficient Student Information System

Reviewed on 22/01/2021

Despite some minor issues, I really like using ALMA - it is the best student information system I've used (PowerSchool, Infinite Campus, several others)

Pros

ALMA does everything - attendance, grading, assignments - information is easy to input and update. I haven't used a system that has been so accessible and can produce such great results, especially that are easy to track and understand.

Cons

The attendance status defaults to present. This is contrary to what I do - it's easier to mark students present from a list of absent students . I need to manually change the status of every student to absent.

It would be great if a link to Google Classroom would work. I have to input assignments and grades twice

Kevin H.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Moving to Alma from another SIS

Reviewed on 12/07/2021

Staff is in the process of learning how to perform their tasks in Alma as opposed to the previous SIS.

Pros

It is intuitive and easy to manage. Tasks such as scheduling is easy and quick. The Alma Start module allows you to quickly set up processes for registering / approving and enrolling new students.

Cons

The documentation could be better. There is no one Administration guide to get all the answer from. A chat feature from support would be a great help to get an answer quickly for simple questions.

I want to love Alma but...

Reviewed on 15/01/2020

I really want to love Alma. There's so much potential but the problems we are running into keep building up and fixes are few and far between. Luckily we only have about 1000 students and a few schools. I don't know how we would manage if we were a larger organization.

Pros

It's the only SIS that looks like it was designed in the past decade. The site itself is easy to use. The basics (scheduling, attendance, calendar, student bios, medical) are all well done, user-friendly, and look great. Gradebook is excellent. Frontline support is helpful.

Cons

Reporting is a nightmare. Reports come in random formats. The descriptions are confusing. The filtering is confusing or doesn't work right. The screen where you choose reports is just a long confusing list. There's no preview of what the report is or looks like.

Some information that you'd expect to be readily available (like a student's current grades) require running one of those confusing reports to find. The district portal is useless. New features that have been added (fees, report builder) feel unfinished and lack basic functionality that one would expect. While the front-line support is good, anything that has to go beyond them gets lost in a black hole when sent to "engineering".

There are some quirks to the program that just make no sense. Little things here and there.

Response from Alma

Sorry to hear you aren't sharing the common elation of switching to Alma that nearly all of our customers experience.
It sounds as if you may have actually missed out on some introductory training, and we'd love to set that up for you.
As you have chosen to keep your identity anonymous, I cannot flag your concerns to your account manager.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon via Capterra so we can remedy this.

Update: Hello again! It's been almost a month, and we haven't heard back from you yet. We really would like to address your issues. Our customer service staff is ready and waiting!

Elizabeth D.

CTA

Reviewed on 07/11/2018

Excellent. This is our 4th year with Alma. They've added so many features, making it better and better.

Pros

The Interface is highly intuitive and easy to figure out.

Cons

The problems I've had were that they let us purchase features that weren't actually ready. I think it wasn't fair, and it ended up creating problems, and Alma never apologizes or admits that they weren't ready. A few features don't make sense for us, and they're not customizable.

Hector M.

Great at what it does, though limited in what it does...

Reviewed on 06/03/2018

Good customer service. Fast/easy learning curve.

Pros

Super user-friendly. Beautiful interface. Easy on teachers and admins. Partial sync with Google Classroom.

Cons

Lack of many modules: Library, admissions, facilities... Lack of Google integration (email, calendars...). Clunky calendar features.