Alma SIS

4.3/5
4.5/5

Maria Elisa
Maria Elisa

Alma was useful for me as a teacher. It helped me stay organized in my plannings and assessment...

Reviewed on 21/06/2018

Pros

What I liked the most about this Software is that it helps teachers to stay organized in their daily plannings, but also in the evaluation process.

This was my first year as a teacher, and I loved using ALMA because I got the chance to put all the information that I needed in that Software. Just by clicking on ALMA I could take attendance, find information about my students, update my plannings, follow the CCSS Standards and upload the grades.

Cons

At the beginning of the school year, it was a little complicated for me to understand how ALMA worked. I had to ask many times to the Principal of my school about how to upload my daily plannings and align the assessments to the Standards. However, after a few weeks of practicing, it became easier for me.

Jenny

Alma Makes My Job SOOOO Much Easier!

Reviewed on 03/05/2022

Overall, our experience has been very positive. The quick responses to questions and the help available is wonderful!
We do have some questions about standardized grading (we plan to tackle those questions this summer!!)

Pros

I LOVE the customer service, everyone is very personable and quick to respond. My questions are answered completely and I am always directed to where I can find answers to my questions. The program is very easy to use and, typically, I can figure out most issues I am having using the resource pages.

Cons

It might be lack of knowledge on our end, but the teachers are not happy with the standardized grading in Alma. I would also like to be able to allow more detailed access to only certain teachers with specified things.

Kathryn

Alma is not providing teachers with and easy to use platform for grading, attendance, etc.

Reviewed on 23/02/2018

Pros

I like that I can look up any student in our school and see that student's schedule and current information.

Cons

1. Our students (Seniors especially) cannot get their current transcripts. This is troubling for many reasons. Perhaps the most important being their choices for scholarships and higher education will be affected by this. Students cannot apply for financial assistance through scholarships without current transcripts. I have personally spoken with at least three students who have missed out on scholarship opportunities, simply because they cannot access current transcripts.
2. Can't see overall student GPA
3. Can't see student class rank
4. Student Mobile usage is very confusing. Can't see grades the way they should.
5. Ease of access is horrible
6. No mobile app, and mobile website is very difficult to read
7. Not organized well
8. When emailing "all students" I cannot exclude certain classes; I can't email multiple classes at once without including EVERYONE
9. For attendance, it is very confusing. If a student is marked present first class, they are marked present for the entire day. This was clearly set up for use in an Elementary School. High School is different. We need to be able to see where our students are throughout the day.
10. Inputting grades takes many more steps than our previous system. There is no way to toggle between students with the keyboard.
11. There should be a way to block certain people from seeing certain information. At the beginning of the school year, student Social Security Numbers were viewable by any teacher or staff in our building.

Response from Alma

Below we briefly address each of your concerns. But, because your satisfaction is our starting point, we will also follow-up for a deeper conversation about this. We want you to be elated with Alma!
#1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11) We do provide the functionality you're describing and would love to review each item with you. Based on the information you provided, these concerns may indicate further training is needed. Your Account Manager will be in touch soon or you can always contact us through our in-app support.
#5 and 7) Most of Alma¿s users love our ease-of-use, navigation, and access, but as with all things, we can/will keep getting better. Let¿s discuss further.
#4 and 6) Depending on the phone size and the gradebook in use, the experience for viewing student grades on a phone can be less than ideal. We are actively exploring more options.
#8) Great idea! This is the first time we have heard this, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. Your suggestion has been logged

Carlos

Very useful and complete tool

Reviewed on 06/12/2023

Pros

The platform is very easy to use and intuitive.

Cons

The platform looks like a little bit old-fashioned

Response from Alma

Thanks for the review, Carlos. We are proud to have created such a comprehensive, easy-t0-use, and intuitive tool for educators!

Curious what you are comparing Alma's design to? We have never heard anything but praise for our clean and very modern design, so your comment has us a bit confused!

Ryan

Alma SIS- Big pros and small cons

Reviewed on 30/04/2020

EXCELLENT support. The resources provided are clear and helpful, and support staff are more responsive than any other product or service I have experienced. Absolute top notch support.

Pros

In addition to standard features of other applications, this product provides the ability to generate customized reports on just about any type of student data, and also automates the bulk of our report card procedure.

Cons

This product does not compile data well- eg. Student grades or attendance expressed as an overall average, rather than being listed by course. Additionally, while attendance by class records is supported, this data is of limited reporting functionality compared to attendance by day.

Peg

Power features in an easy to learn platform

Reviewed on 09/07/2021

Responsiveness is just amazing. The weekly Q&A sessions with live support team members is very helpful.

Pros

Being able to customize information within student records has been very helpful. Standard reports included generally provide needed information, but creating a custom report is also pretty easy.

Cons

Would love to be able to view by grade level rather than having to pick students individually or using the data spreadsheet editor.

Michelle

Excellent option for smaller schools

Reviewed on 13/12/2021

Pros

Easy to use and manage, it has multiple layers that allow students, parents, and educators to communicate and document work.

Cons

It took a long time to set up, but once it was active it was easy to navigate

Theresa

Alma Software - The Superstar of Student Information Systems!

Reviewed on 13/03/2019

Pros

Alma's ease of use for all stakeholder is top notch. Teachers, parents, students and office personnel can easily navigate through this platform with minimal clicks, all the tools and information you need as a user are right there in front of you. You no longer have to click 4 layers deep to find what you are looking for. Alma also provides an easy way to communicate with all stakeholders. While in the gradebook you can email students and parents, eliminating the need to use a secondary software program.

Along with a traditional grading program, Alma provides a true standards/competency based platform. This SIS has grown alongside the change in educational trends, meeting the needs of schools, transitioning their assessment/evaluation practices.

Support services for Alma are outstanding. The customer support team is available in the matter of minutes, assisting and answering all questions one might have. The team is extremely knowledgeable, friendly and willing to take an idea you might suggest and make it happen! This support team makes transition/roll over periods stress free!

Cons

Alma's reporting section for state reports and other school information reports still needs to develop. As time goes on I believe Alma will continue to make improvements in this area. Reports are currently available in a a basic excel or csv files. These files work for what we need, but I feel this area could develop more in the future.

Jenny

I have enjoyed the switch to Alma. For the most part, it is user-friendly and intuitive.

Reviewed on 06/03/2018

Pros

It does not require extensive training to learn how to use; the parent portal gives parents all the info they need at their fingertips; it has centralized all of our student info and made it accessible to all staff who need it; the report card design process is great--you can really customize it to suit your needs; they are constantly releasing updated and improved features based on customer feedback and requests; customer support is always available and very friendly/responsive.

Cons

The reporting functions are limited--it is frustrating at times not being able to design customized reports or to tweak the built-in reports for your exact needs; teachers have some complaints about gradebook's functionality (although many aspects of the gradebook are much better than our former system--it's tough to find everything you need in one program--there are always going to be tradeoffs); scheduling was a bit of a nightmare (on the other hand, our school's programming is very non-standard and often breaks software); there is no app yet--or even a mobile-friendly view--which is really needed for our population, where a large % of parents use their phones exclusively for internet access.

April
April

Easy to use and provides an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed on 04/05/2018

I am able to quickly get in touch with my students at any time regarding any matter that needs to be addressed.

Pros

I like the fact that this software is simple to use with no prior instructions needed to start. I was able to accurately use the software the same day that I bought it meaning that I was able to really get a grasp on how it works. I also am a fact that I can create a file report for each student and write notes daily to track their progress. This is not something that seems to be common with software, but I appreciate the added touch.

Cons

I wish that the software gave me the ability to see absences as well as when students have been tardy. Having this information handy would allow me to file my reports more accurately. I also am not a fan of the price tag, I feel as though it could be cheaper.

Camrynne

Great user interface

Reviewed on 29/01/2021

The transition from a different software was pretty smooth. Support has been helpful. Our teachers are happy with the system. Parents haven't complained. No real hidden fees (unless we want to have them add custom fields or custom reports). We are happy with Alma, and looking forward to ongoing development of additional functionality.

Pros

Alma has a great user interface! It is much more intuitive, FUN, and easy to use than the software we were using previously. It really shines in the LMS arena. Our registrar is very happy with how the class configuration, grades, report cards, etc. work in Alma. Our teachers appreciate the ease of use and the integration with Google Classroom. Our parents appreciate not having to pay for the app. We appreciate that so far there aren't a lot of extra add-ons that you have to pay for. The pricing tiers are very straightforward. They roll out new features/functionality regularly.

Cons

Because Alma started as an LMS and added SMS/SIS functionality, you can see that it shines the most in LMS functions. There have been quite a few data fields that we were accustomed to using in our old system that do not exist in Alma. You can pay extra to have them developed/added, but there is no way to do that yourself. As for reports, there are good default reports in the system, and you can do a fair amount of custom reports, but it is not as comprehensive as we had hoped. We wish Alma had a way to give parents access to directory information (of other parents in their grade or the whole school. We wish it had a way for parents to enter/track their volunteer hours. We wish it had more functionality in the emergency contact/ medical information. We wish it had a more robust lesson planning capability.

FACTS

Reasons for Choosing Alma SIS

Lower cost, better user interface

FACTS

Reasons for Switching to Alma SIS

Price, functionality, user interface
Kenneth

A flexible and responsive product. Unbelievably effective and efficient.

Reviewed on 11/05/2020

We have reduced our printing costs, improved communication with parents, and successfully submitted our PIMS state reports. Communication with Alma has been great! The online resources and chat feature are very effective. Chat is answered within 10 minutes, often in less time. They have been responsive to our needs. Feedback from the teachers about their use of Alma has been very positive.

Pros

The user interface is very intuitive. Everything is where one would expect it to be within the program. Migration to Alma from our previous SIS was so straight forward and seamless that I was not sure the SIS was going to be ready on schedule. It was ready on schedule and very few issues have been encountered.
Issuing digital report cards is very easy and our parents love it. We also communicate with our parents on a regular basis by using the email feature in Alma. Parents also have expressed satisfaction with the parent portal for checking their student's grades. Teachers find it very easy to use the gradebook.

Cons

Any concerns/needs we have expressed to Alma have resulted in instant inquiry and potential solutions.

Garrett

Not for High Schools

Reviewed on 19/10/2023

Pros

Honestly tough to answer. It’s nice as a club sponsor to be able to email whole groups of students (not just those in my classes).

Cons

Basically every single function/aspect is worse than Infinite Campus. Entering grades, making/changing seating charts, printing roster spreadsheets are all more difficult and time consuming than IC. This program is not suited for secondary schools.

Response from Alma

Thank you for your feedback on transitioning to Alma. Understanding that changes can be challenging, we're committed to supporting you. Your insights help us improve our platform continually.

We're pleased Alma's group emailing feature enhances your club activities, fostering communication and collaboration, essential in education.

Concerns about Alma's aspects, particularly versus Infinite Campus, are important to us. Having transitioned thousands from Infinite Campus to Alma, we've received overwhelmingly positive feedback about our platform's intuitiveness and efficiency. Your experience seems to be an exception, and we want to address your concerns thoroughly.

We suggest additional training for better navigation in Alma. Our team is ready to guide you, ensuring you fully leverage all features.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We're looking forward to working closely with you to enhance your experience with Alma, making it positive and productive.

Good if your users are not picky

Reviewed on 05/10/2021

Was the right move at the right time (web based - SAS)

Was the right move at the right time (web based - SAS)

Pros

Web based
Fast
Quick support
Google SSO
SAS

Cons

Email editor is TOO basic.
Report writer is not flexible, cost per extra fields.
Retrieve unenrolled student's data from previous years should be easier.
Apply changes to multiple classes, schedules, etc should allow to select randomly or by criteria.
Backup/Restore feature not available.
Mixed Letter, Numbers and Standards based grades are not compatible.
Transcripts reports must allow more flexible design.

PowerSchool Unified Classroom and Schoology

Reasons for Choosing Alma SIS

Complete suite must be web based on the cloud

Reasons for Switching to Alma SIS

Lower cost Technical support
Ashley

A Great SIS - and Getting Better

Reviewed on 05/05/2020

Our school has tried several different solutions for grading and record keeping, and Alma is by far the best we have encountered. We tried Power School (a user-unfriendly dinosaur) and internally developed software (effective but too labor-intensive and time consuming to develop and maintain), and Alma is far superior to both. I really cannot recommend Alma highly enough.

Pros

The best thing abour Alma is its ease of use. In addition, it has one of the most professional and responsive customer support departments I have ever encountered in any product or industry.

Cons

It does not yet have all of the functionality that we would like, particularly in the area of recording curriculum, but since we adopted it three years ago they have regulerly added new features and improved the functionality of what was already there. I really do believe that in short order they will address curriculum within the program, and at that point every major use we have for an SIS would be covered.

Jacob

My Honest Review

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

Pros

I loved that our district made a deal to get a group purchase for ALMA so it made the price just perfect for us. ALMA looks beautiful and is an excellent tool. It is such a powerful data tracking tool which is great when you're trying to analyze large amounts of data. I love that you can run an extract and upload it to CALPADS, it makes reporting so much easier! The customer support team always has a great attitude and truly feels like they love helping you.

Cons

One of the major CONS is that it is not yet fully approved by the state for reporting, which adds another step to program administrators to get it approved for attendance. That was a major bummer. Another CON is that because it is such a powerful system, some training is required if you hope to use it properly. When I started using it I thought I could just teach myself how to use it and ended up costing myself and my teachers a week or so of grief until I could get proper training. It's all in the settings. If you don't have those set up properly, then you're doomed. Once you train for 2-3 hours though with their great staff, it's a breeze after that!

Kristen

Definitely a Product for Educators

Reviewed on 08/05/2020

Having just come from a visually exhausting, not user-friendly information management and grading system, Alma has been a breath of fresh air. It was a pretty easy transition, figuring out the lay of the land. I was never confident on the old system. After only a few months into using Alma, I feel like I have a really good grasp on using it, and if not, I know that they have a great support system to help me out if I get stuck.

Pros

Is the Alma system absolutely perfect in every way? No product out there is! What has really impressed me about Alma is their incredible support team and communication. If we (the people using Alma) have a need and make a suggestion, they are lightning fast in coming up with a solution that fits the need. It is incredibly user friendly, visually appealing in its organization, and houses all of the tools we need for student information management in one tidy place.

Cons

My only wish would be to see a record of the messages that are sent directly to students and parents. However, Alma does allow you to send the message to your email, so it is possible to keep a record of messages that way.

Diane

School counselor review

Reviewed on 08/05/2020

Good, actually.

Good, actually.

Pros

There's too much to list everything!!!
I like the class function, the internal staff note function, the file cabinet, the graduation function and the reporting function, though I would tweak them all a bit.

Cons

I don't know how to ask for changes. That isn't really obvious to me at all. Everything below I'd probably be able to ask for, but don't know how.
With the class function, I would like to print class lists without the pictures. I also LIKE printing lists with pictures, but a lot of time I just want the data.
Also, I would love the print the class schedule as it is on the page, but it reverts to another version that I do not like at all.
With the Internal Staff Note function, I would like to be able to hide it on the overview page. That's the page that has grades and I like to show them to students, but NOT the internal staff notes.

Karen

Alma user

Reviewed on 19/01/2021

Alma is great for keeping all students, staff, family, etc., in one place with numerous options for reporting.

Pros

The software is easy to use and produces so many report options.

Cons

During Covid the response time to questions/problems has sometimes taken over a day. When a teacher or parent needs something the delay in resolution leaves the school appearing less professional.

Kay

Grading Software

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

Pros

ALMA allowed us to do standards based grading in a very efficient and seamless manner. ALMA had Florida standards uploaded for us, so it made it very easy to choose standards for grading. It was very easy to design the template that we wanted to use for our report cards. Responses to questions were almost immediate. ALMA is very intuitive to use - especially for someone like me who is technologically challenged.

Cons

Nothing stands out as a negative. I would be searching to find something that dissatisfied us.

Leslie

Amazing ALMA

Reviewed on 06/05/2020

As I alluded to the Alma support staff is excellent and we have our SJA support staff for Alma too so we are doing well with the transition. Teachers have more at their finger tips for flexibility with report cards and that makes all of us so happy...actually its terrific to see them so pleased.

Pros

There are so MANY things at your fingertips as you delve into this great student information system! If you can't find them and/or understand them Alma's excellent support team will walk you through it.

Cons

Change in all facets of life is a challenge. Being accustomed to my previous SIS program there are things I miss and just can't have. Student Attendance is an important part of my daily life. It frustrates me that though student names are still alphabetical they are presented in reports by first name not last. In a true emergency LAST NAMES are what we are accustomed to look for. Sure I can go in and make up my own special document from excel but most likely NOT during an emergency.

Stephanie

Excellent customer service!

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Pros

Alma has been a great solution for our attendance, grading and communication systems needs. There is a seamless integration with Google classroom and it's very easy to communicate with a single student, their family or the whole class. Health information is readily available and I can also see a student's attendance and progress in other classes. When I have contacted ALMA for assistance, the response is almost immediate. There are emails with information about new features and how to integrate them. They have been extremely responsive to educators' needs during COVID-19 homeschooling this spring .

Cons

It would be nice to be able to change a grade transferred from Google classroom without needing to go into that assignment in Google. Automatic grade updates or syncing from Google classroom would be helpful too, as I often forget to re-sync Google assignments in ALMA.

Patricia
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Alma makes it easy

Reviewed on 12/07/2021

Pros

Alma is a great software package. The gradebook feature is easy to use on the administrator end. If features need adjustment, you can contact the company and they LISTEN!

Cons

There's nothing to not like. Teachers and staff are still learning to use the features, and that's typically the most difficult thing - getting folks to change practices based on old software.

Dominick

Great for standards based grading, but would be much better if they had an app

Reviewed on 23/02/2018

Pros

-Very easy to grade an assessment on multiple standards
-Constantly updating software to make it easier for teachers
-Easy to put anecdotal notes on students accounts that parents and teachers can see
-It seems that the team at Alma works hard to make any individual changes you might want for your school

Cons

-There is no app for teachers, this is a major downside for schools where teachers do a lot on their phone. I miss the days when I used to be able to easily take attendance or access student information from my phone
-The grading portal still has some technological kinks that need to be worked out. Sometimes you will click on one student's name and you end up accidentally entering grades for another because the screen jumps. Once you do this it is difficult to delete the grade unless you mark the assignment N/A.

Chrissy

Teacher review

Reviewed on 18/05/2020

It can be frustrating, but it's a useful tool. I'm not sure why but I find myself making more mistakes with this management system than others I have used in the past.

Pros

My school was one of the first to use Alma, and I have been impressed with how they ask for feedback from teachers and then consistently make changes to improve the product.

Cons

It seems to go down every time we do report cards, which is when we need it the most. Also, I'd like for it to be easier to post and print lesson plans. Also, when I post a grade as received, the default should always be full credit, not zero.