Populi

Cloud based college management solution for colleges

4.7/5
4.3/5
4.4/5
4.7/5

58 Software options

• Industry: Higher Education

A solid, straightforward choice for higher-education relationship management

Reviewed on 29/08/2020

Populi is a terrific platform for integrating various data silos across your organization. We moved from a number of different databases into Populi recently, and the combination of all of our information in one place has streamlined our communication process with incoming students and allowed us to more easily collaborate in helping students through processes like enrollment and financial aid. We've struggled with finding some features at times, and in the case of marketing automation, we've discovered that Populi's system isn't quite fully-featured enough for our needs. The UI, also, has a dated feel. Nevertheless, it's a solid, stable platform that gives us integrated access to our contacts.

Pros

Populi is very straightforward, and makes it relatively easy to manage a high number of complex relationships with contacts
Tracking a contact from first inquiry through to alumni donor is very simple
Contacting contacts directly from within Populi works more smoothly than the communication platforms on some competitors
Support is extremely useful and quick

Cons

The automation platform is time-based and lacks some of the triggers and sophistication available in competitors
Some features are hidden inside of layers behind the straightforward UI, and it can be frustrating to track them down
Sometimes, a seemingly simple feature will be missing, and require extensive conversations with support. Support is top-notch and very helpful, but it can be annoying if you prefer to do things yourself.

Jeremy G.
  • Used for 1+ year

Easy to use but watch out for formatting

Reviewed on 28/11/2019

Populi seems to be an overall better experience than Canvas both from the user standpoint and the administrator standpoint. It is nice having all of the information I need for my classes right at my fingertips.

Pros

Populi has an app which ensures that I do not miss any comments or messages from my professors. It makes it easy to review my grades and keep track of my progress. I also can download the current syllabus on to my phone to access whenever needed.

Cons

The only drawback to Populi is the process of reviewing papers after the professors have commented on them. It isn't that big of a deal, but one has to login to the website in order to see the comments and recommendations. It would make it a little bit more convenient to be able to access this feature in the app.

There has also been times when the footnote formatting somehow was changed changed during the upload process. I let my professors know about the issue just in case it happens again.

Weinan Z.

Easy to use, Excellent customer support

Reviewed on 04/12/2020

I believe it's a good product and it has good potential, given the team's impressive efforts toward meet the rapid changing needs of their current and future customers.

Pros

The interface is easy to use for both students and faculty who authorize and manage courses, especially the newly designed side menu that makes navigation pretty easy. Also, Populi's customer service is very impressive - very responsive and professional. They understand very well and resolve your issue very effectively.

Cons

It does not support competency based learning, and the features in the mobile app are very limited. As my impression of Populi is a team that respond to the needs of its customers quickly, I hope it can also catch up in this areas, especially the mobile app.

Isaac B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Populi provides a solid solution for online learning

Reviewed on 18/10/2019

Overall Populi has been a very solid product for e-learning. Although it is not an elegant or beautiful UX, it gets the job done and would be a fine solution for any online learning needs.

Pros

Populi is a stable and decently feature rich platform of online learning. They offer the ability to create online lessons, quizzes, tests, embed videos, upload assignments, creature student and teacher profiles, line to resources, and nearly any other feature you may need for an online platform.

Cons

Compared to some competitors however, Populi is limited. It is does have a bit of a learning curve, the overall aesthetics are plain and lacking, it can be cumbersome to locate assignments or documents if the professor has not uploaded them in the right spot, and there is a user fee that must be paid by the institution (not directly by the user).

Mahala W.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

We use Populi for a couple of our separate departments websites and they like the ease of...

Reviewed on 19/04/2018

Pros

The customer service and ease of use with setting up programs on our website has been tremendous. We can have settings however we want them .

Cons

We don't have any complaints for this software. It has been working great the couple of years we have used it.

Susan W.

I love POPULI !

Reviewed on 07/11/2013

I have been using the system for 3 years now and it keeps getting better and better. I liked it from the beginning and it just keeps improving. The developers listen to their customers and add tools that make our life easier. The response time for questions or help is outstanding. There are many learning tutorials in the help section with instructions and videos to assist in the process of learning the system. When it comes to reporting, I find it saves hours when compiling IPEDS data. This year the reporting section was improved to the extent, it cut my research time in half.
There are parts that I do not utilize like financial aid only because we utilize a third party service.
End of the year 1098 T's are at my finger tips. I export the information in to excel. I have not figured out how to split the total tuition paid for those receiving Financial aid and 50% VA benefits that aren't reported on the 1098 T. Maybe being able to edit the totals would be helpful.
Would I recommend Populi to other schools? Yes, I cant see operating without it. The more I use it the better it is.

Erin F.

Easy to use & great customer service

Reviewed on 21/03/2016

We switched over to Populi after using a different software for years. Populi makes it really easy to create transcripts and make sure students are on track to graduate. It's great that we can integrate many different components (grades, discipline, housing, finance, etc.) in one location. It makes obtaining information quick and easy. The different roles are great for controlling who has access to what information.

Also, customer service has been amazing! Phone calls help because they can see what we see on our screen, which minimizes confusion. Even if we email or submit a request online, we get responses within 24 hours. Their staff is really helpful. Their online tutorials are great as well and they've even reached out to us to do demos.

Sherry D.

Customer Service Is Awesome!

Reviewed on 05/02/2014

I have used Populi for a few years now. It is very user friendly and meets all of our needs as a small Bible college. The best part about Populi is their customer service. All the guys in tech support are quick to answer, polite, and very knowledgeable. It seems there is always someone on duty, ready to answer any questions I have. For instance, I work in the finance department and realized I had done some transactions incorrectly. This was very nerve racking as a deadline for a report was drawing near. Customer service was able to fix my error behind the scenes just in the nick of time! The program stands on its own feet, but the customer service is the icing on the cake.

Raul L.

Excellent Course Mangagement System

Reviewed on 24/11/2014

Populi is a great college management system. I have been administering the system for 3 years now and no complaints. The design is sleek and very manageable. Populi developers are amazingly open to suggestions in regards to improving their system with additional features from their clients. Their support team speedily respond to emails and in troubleshooting and resolving any issue. I highly recommend Populi as a solution for your institution!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions (from a user standpoint).

Ken S.

absolutely every small college (and big) must have this.

Reviewed on 13/03/2009

absolutely every small college (and big) must have this. I will recommend Populi to all my constituents

Pros

ground floor, feedback process, quality people, quality interface

Cons

email integration causes duplicate draft items

Meghan M.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Love using Populi!

Reviewed on 24/04/2018

Pros

I love the development and donor management portion of the software. It is very well organized and allows for detailed reporting and tracking details.

Cons

Training could be more in-depth and specific to each department. Faculty in particular seem to have a hard time with transition.

Jiska D.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Reviewed on 12/10/2017

Ozlen K.

You get what you pay for and perhaps a little less!

Reviewed on 27/01/2016

Pros
Easy to register, add students, course scheduling. Fast customer service however, not very satisfying responds.
Cons
It is not user friendly, very difficult to customize features. Even sending emails to selected students is a hassle. Adding meeting times to courses is awfully difficult and annoying. If you are a new, small institution and need statistics / have to be able to pull out a data any minute when requested I would not recommend this product. Our application information wasn't transferring to system and we found out after customer service that our application was not set right. The reason for that is Populi updated their admissions feature a while ago but our applications were not adopted to new system. So I had to enter age, gender, address, email etc manually for the each student in the system to be able to have an accurate data. No help offered for an error caused by their own management system! Again reporting features lack accuracy and not customizable.
For accreditation purposes I found this system not reliable, I will start looking for alternatives.

Response from Populi

Hi Ozlen, I didn't realize how frustrated you were after our conversation yesterday! My apologies.

I don't remember discussing your difficulties emailing students or adding meeting times. I'd be happy to hop back on the phone to go over that with you!

Regarding applications, its true that we updated admissions a couple of years ago and released a bunch of new features. Applications that were set up before that time have to be tweaked to take advantage of the new features, but I'd be happy to schedule a time to work through that with you. I think there were only a few fields that needed to be tweaked, but lets set up a time and we can make sure its good to go!

Again, I'm sorry that you've had a frustrating experience. We'll be in touch to see if we can win back your loyalty!

Sincerely,
Isaac Grauke, CEO
Populi

Emily D.

Populi works great for our Montessori training programs

Reviewed on 13/09/2019

We use Populi as a database for our prospective and current students, alumni, workshop attendees, donors, and general community members. We use it for marketing of events and courses, overall communications with our leads and community. We also use it to manage the academic requirements and assignments of our current students. It has overall streamlined the process of review of student work, communication and discussion between faculty and students, among students, and allowed us to consider distance learning models for our upcoming courses. Overall, the experience has been great!

Pros

Populi is very customizable, with great options to optimize its many functions for our unique organization. The developers and staff at Populi are extremely responsive and helpful, responding quickly and thoroughly to all of our many questions and requests.

Cons

As with any system, there are times when we run into functionalities that we would like and do not yet exist. I do feel like Populi is responsive and makes improvements based on features requests whenever possible.

Dean L.

A Jack of all Trades for Education Management

Reviewed on 26/11/2018

This product was in place when I arrived in my role supporting it. It seems to be the choice of many smaller (< 300 student) post-secondary schools. It has served us well for tracking student records but there are lots of little annoyances that cause us to adjust our workflows in order to use the product. It would seem if you had no processes in place and wanted to follow their recommended ones, it would suit you well.

Pros

- Web based
- Easy to use
- API offers advanced access to data
- Customer service is responsive (the CEO often replies to requests)

Cons

- Tries to do too much - It handles Student Information well, but our finance department doesn't prefer it and our Faculty use it for tracking marks, but don't particularly like it as an LMS
- Data exports are limited - I had to code an application in PHP to work with the API to get enrolment information out in a usable format
- Roles are not customizable - We have student call teams who can only access basic contact details if we give them a staff role (which gives them too much access)

Grace B.

User Friendly - Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 01/10/2019

Pros

So grateful for such effective software. Not only is Populi user-friendly and easy to navigate, but the level of customer service is unmatched. Pre-set reports are such a time-saver, and I'm loving all the new training videos/webinars. Would recommend this product!

Cons

Honestly, nothing significant enough to mention.

Donna H.

Best Decision We Ever Made

Reviewed on 18/07/2017

Increased data reporting functionality and low cost.

Pros

It packs everything into a cost effective manageable solution for small to medium colleges. Student records, Billing, Financial Aid, Course Evaluations, Communications, Discipline, emergency text messaging, online course management, Library, Bookstore, Registration, and so much more.

Cons

That is very hard to say. I think the assignment grade release settings could be more granular.
Giving approved incompletes could be refined more.

Donna H.

Best Student System for Small Colleges

Reviewed on 06/12/2016

Moving our Student management to Populi was the best decision for our small graduate school. Pricing is scaled to size. It is feature rich and has quickly become the center of our universe. The Populi support team was with us from day one. They converted all of our data and we have never looked back. The data reporting features are flexible and easy to use. This is the best decision we ever made.

Pros

This system was specifically designed with small to medium colleges in mind and it shows.

Chris D.

Best choice for SIS/LMS

Reviewed on 26/07/2016

We have loved Populi from the very beginning. Great program. Great support. Great choice for all your LMS and SIS needs.

Pros

Integration of the LMS and SIS. Ease of use. Video tutorials are great...keeps me from having to make them myself.

Cons

Waiting for a plagiarism integration.

Kevin S.

Starting From Scratch

Reviewed on 02/08/2019

Very satisfied and have experienced a great deal of positive and helpful customer support. Really, no walks through a string of phones tree choices to get to someone who can help.

Pros

Going from spreadsheets to Populi was very easy. The system is very intuitive anticipating what data is needed in every screen during the progression of steps used to post student records and effect school administration. It is easy to move around and the data is partitioned in a logical array of tabs and input screens. The staff has a great deal of confidence in the accuracy of posting data and capturing transactions events.

Cons

Reporting of financial transactions make it cumbersome to reconcile and account for transactions.

Tammy M.

Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 04/08/2016

Excellent Customer Service. Staff very helpful and resolve issues promptly.
Support staff very knowledgable about the product.

Shane F.

An amazing product that shows amazing maturity for it's age.

Reviewed on 12/03/2009

An amazing product that shows amazing maturity for it's age. I would put it up against any of the big dogs on the market.

Pros

- Great people to work with. Always quick to find a solution.
- This software has all the major components already included to help keep schools running smoothly.
- It's a hosted solution so there is no IT costs on us.
- They are always adding functionality

Cons

They are still new to the scene so it's not robust. Things like templating , help documentation, and customer customization are still missing. The customer support people will bend over backwards to do these things for you though so it's not a deal breaker.

New to me

Reviewed on 14/04/2020

Populi helps with evaluation, management and storage of assignments, accreditation of work

Pros

This software is new to me but, in my transition from one higher education institution to another it has been simple and user friendly to understand--looks like it keeps everything in one place, so helpful for student and educator!

Cons

I am still learning it, even though it is user friendly it is not as intuitive as I would like for it (me?) to be

Dr. mark V.

Populi Delivers

Reviewed on 12/12/2014

Populi provides a high quality, easy to use college management interface that is adaptable, efficient and effective in meeting the needs of small to mid-size colleges. While it may take a moment to input your needed data, the interface is user friendly and the customer service is top flight. Students and faculty celebrate! Populi provides tried and true solutions to your educational needs.

Gregory S.

Must Have Service

Reviewed on 12/03/2015

We've been using Populi's SIS for several years now. Incredibly easy software to use. Sorry I can't rate their service more than 5 stars. If you need something that doesn't come with the service, just ask. We needed customization on the transcript and several days later all we had to do was print the transcript. Nice and neat and very easy.