MeisterTask

Collaboration and task management tool

4.6/5

Adam C.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Great, Affordable Project Board for Teams

Reviewed on 19/07/2019

It's an easy-to-use tool for your entire team. The horizontal layout makes it easy to click and drag projects/tasks from one development stage to another (one board to another), trigger email alerts, and create checklists. That makes task organization easy for a team. We have around a dozen staff using MeisterTask, and they all love it.

Pros

It's an incredible value for the features. We only need to pay monthly for our administrator account, and all our staff users are free. They don't get to create projects or add/change actions, but their day-to-day use of MeisterTask is free (e.g., creating and completing tasks/tickets, moving tasks around, adding checklists, etc.). I also love the integrations with other services like Zapier, which we use to allow creation of tasks via sending emails, and the MeisterTask plugin for Gmail, which lets you create tasks directly from your Inbox. This adds tons of value for our staff, who again are free users.

Cons

I personally don't like task management that is laid out horizontally on boards (e.g., Trello). The board layout lacks a visual hierarchy that I prefer and see in other free/cheap task management products like ClickUp. Also, while you can upload and attach files to each task, you can't immediately download from the task. You have to wait while MeisterTask fetches them from wherever they are stored in the cloud. There's a short delay, and you need to refresh your browser page to see the notification that contains your download link. That's a slight annoyance.

Lauren A.

I LOVE this software

Reviewed on 20/04/2021

I don't often say I love a software, but I love MeisterTask. As I passed over some important tasks to another person, I found she was not as organized as I was, and it was costing us a lot of lost revenue as she failed to follow up on time-sensitive claim rejections and other issues. Furthermore, due to the way our main systems work, I had a hard time keeping my own eyes on the issues before it was too late. By implementing MeisterTask, we both have insight into the issues that have come back from insurances, I'm able to better hold her accountable, and tasks are getting done. I love the Kanban board, having the ability to personalize it, write notes, have overarching tasks with subtasks, and more.

Pros

Visualization, due dates, reminders. It's user-friendly, and has a modern interface. The ability to customize various aspects was great. I like the dashboard that tells you what's due today, this week, or later. As a manager, I liked being able to set up multiple projects in one place.

Cons

I wish the product had a "due date" and "follow up dates", so it was more obvious what was being worked.
It took me a few to realize I could edit a comment, which was really helpful.
I wish it required a due date with an option or checkbox for no due date, as opposed to defaulting to no due date.
--All minor things.

Asana, monday.com and ClickUp

Reasons for Switching to MeisterTask

I liked the ease of use - very user friendly. I liked that I could have multiple projects and assign users but have insight into all. We didn't need a heavy project management tool like other companies might, but most project management softwares are geared towards that. The price is also unbeatable.
Danielle S.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Great for tracking Weekly and Daily Big Three Tasks (Big Rocks, other tasks, etc.)

Reviewed on 16/04/2020

I originally downloaded the application to attempt to tackle some #StayatHome projects. These are personal projects as I am unemployed. I find that the visual layout on the web-version is compelling and I enjoy using it. The reminders on my phone are limited, no snooze feature if you're stuck on another task, but overall decent anyway. I would and have recommended this product and will likely do so again.

Pros

I love the overall layout and design look of the software. I use the web-based version and the Android version. I like that I can get a good picture of what my day looks like - what I've planned to do, and what I may be missing from my tasks that needs to be done. It is a great companion to my Full Focus Planner, a Franklin planning system, and a general task list.

Cons

I wish the free version had more projects - something like 4 to 6 would be great. My budget may allow me to purchase the full (I think Pro) version. I am using this for just myself right now, but can see how a business could make use of it. Like most To-do apps, a decent snooze feature is lacking. Sometimes I am in the middle of working on a task and need a few more minutes to finish up - snoozing an upcoming item is always helpful.

Benjamin D.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

A perfect balance between utility, useability and design

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

I am collecting the workflows of all of my different personal and professional projects into different boards and then into one intgrated dashboard. The ultimate friendship between power and simplicity. And then it also looks very beautiful! I really can't work with apps on a daily basis of they do not look nice, so I am very happy to have found this powerful, flexible, and intuitive software that also takes the cake when it comes to aesthetics!

Pros

MeisterTask strikes, for me, the perfect balance between the different aspects of a task system. It has all the functionalities that I have been looking for, for my project workflow system. I can create multiple kanban (Trello-like) boards for my different projects, yet see all of my due tasks from all of the different boards on one single dashboard. This way I can keep all of my different tasks and workflows organized, yet consult only one place to decide on my next activity. It also functions in a very intuitive way, and looks just beautiful. I especially love the option to have a daily changing photo on the home screen.

Cons

So far there is nothing at all I dislike about this software, which is a huge surprise for me. I have been looking for "the perfect" project workflow system for myself, and MeisterTask might be the one I have been looking for for so many months.

There is only one smal technical improvement that I would suggest to the creators, which is the option to automatically assign newly created tasks to myself, so that I don't need to perform that as a routine action.

Marcus H.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Maximizes Your Time, Minimizes the Learning Curve

Reviewed on 10/06/2019

Overall, the experience is wonderful. It relives stress rather than adding the stress of learning a new tool. I highly recommend it.

Pros

Unlike other project management platforms, Meistertask is not only affordable, but it allows you to do more with their basic features which only amplify with one of the paid versions. Meistertask is not only a great tool to help speed up workflow, it is also highly intuitive. Even if you haven't used the platform before, you most likely will be up and running within 30 minutes. It's drag and drop interface is incredibly fast, east, and straight forward making it ideal for beginner and advanced users.

Cons

The only issue that I have with the software is the lack of list view for the project workflow. I also would like to see calendar view of the current projects and not just in reporting view.

Asana and Planning Center

Reasons for Choosing MeisterTask

Affordability, capabilities, and ease of use for casual computer users.

Wrike

Reasons for Switching to MeisterTask

It beautifully combined the core features I needed into one place.
Rachel H.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Easy and affordable for my little nonprofit office

Reviewed on 30/03/2019

As mentioned before, I have been able to save and categorize my office gmail emails as visually-pleasing, easily-comminicable tasks that can be shared in my little office. It has replaced the ugly little scribble-notes on my desk (for the most part). :) We are a small non-profit (four people altogether) so the free basic account is wonderful, although we are considering the Pro. I have already mentioned it to several friends.

Pros

It is free and an add-on within gmail! And it's beautiful! Our office uses G-Suite, and I was desperate for a replacement for Inbox, which I had been using for the last year because it allowed me to pin notes and to-dos on each email regarding such things as follow-ups needed or website updates for users. MeisterTask allows us to take a gmail email and turn it into a categorized to-do task that I can categorize, assign to someone, and place a due date on. I love that I can have a conversation per to-do and my admin asst and I can get tasks done and tuck them away without ever having to ask each other questions in panic as later follow-up.

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like given what I am using it for. Maybe more could show up there as notifications - such as what is still in progress or yet to complete (or maybe I can set this up in settings somewhere)? I would love to take it to take it to a higher level, because I am using Smartsheets for event management, but I would need to be able to build and save multiple projects (outside of my office tasks) and be able to make use of complex templates and viewable calendars. I'm not quite sure what/where my abilities end with MesiterTask, but then I just started using it. I hope it doesn't go away.

Response from MeisterLabs

We're very happy to hear you're using MeisterTask and that you're also making use of the integration with Gmail! You can customize your notification settings when you click on "preferences" in your project board. Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review Rachel! We'll take your feedback in consideration!

Great for To-Dos and Project Management

Reviewed on 26/08/2019

MeisterTask is really helping me keep track of the many things I have going on and keeping them organized by project, with deadlines and action items. It's a free tool that gives me all I need in a task management system when other brands and systems have fallen flat.

Pros

I started using MeisterTask about a year ago to keep track of all my projects internally. To be honest, even though it's marketed as a teams system, I love using it for just myself. It's the only to-do list type system I've found that helps me keep track of where things are and keep them organized. I like how you can manually move tasks from start, to in progress, to finish. You can clearly indicate action items and next steps, unlike a lot of the to-do list apps I've found. I also love that I can use it seamlessly from my computer to my phone.

Cons

Honestly, it's kind of all I need in a to-do/project management software. I've definitely found some quirks and some things in the system I need to get used to. But, overall it has all the features that one would use for task management and the collaboration process looks like it could be easy as well.

Patrick P.

Great Product

Reviewed on 09/03/2021

Overall experience is good.

Pros

I like all features on MeisterTask in general.

Cons

I'd like to have a full list of features when right clicking Tasks.

And to be able to create a task with some shorcut, and predefine where the new task goes, like in a specific column in first or last position.

In MeisterTask app, i'd like to have a forcetouch button to press and hold on some task and open a full list of features to do with that task.

Response from Meister

Hi Patrick,
Thank you for your review.

The offered features are placed in Project properties, in the Project sections as well as in the task itself - according to what unit of the project they relate to.
I will however still forward your feedback to our developers to consider it for future updates.

Andrea C.

Screw Asana. MeisterTask is the best workflow project/task/to-do manager bar none.

Reviewed on 06/08/2019

I start my day with MeisterTask. I drag and drop throughout the day as I accomplish my tasks. I make things look just how I want them with easy colour and text customizations. I use the checklists and notifications tp keep me on track. MeisterTask is a game changer when it comes to organization.

Pros

It's free for freelancers.
You can scale it to teams as you grow.
The interface is beautiful.
The dashboard is everything you need but remains simple and clean.
The ease-of-use is incredible (drag and drop your kanban boards).
It comes as an app for my Google Pixel 3 (that also looks and works as great as the browser version).
It integrates a time clock. I use Harvest for that, but I love that this feature is here if needed.
Colour coding is sweet.
Checklists are quick and easy.
Deadline notifications are awesome.
Customization is easy.
Unlimited projects

Cons

I literally have no cons for this software. I am a company of one using this amazing free software and it does everything I need. I don't know what I would do without it. You have to try it. Blows bigger more known-about competitors out of the water.

Wahid R.

Great UX

Reviewed on 29/09/2021

Pros

I was really impressed by this project management tool. I've been using it for a few years and I like how easy it is to get started and use. You can manage all your projects and tasks and get all your team's updates in one place. I also like how it integrates with Google Calendar, which makes it easy for me to share my work schedule with the team.

Cons

Still the tool need some more features to get along with others one (liste view, calendar view)

Trello

Response from Meister

Thanks so much, Wahid, for reaching out with your comments and feedback! Glad to hear that you've enjoyed using MeisterTask and have found our design both intuitive and powerful :D

I've forwarded your requests to our product team. We're always working hard to improve our apps and add new features. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at @MeisterTask to stay updated on new developments!

Thanks again,

Andrew @ MeisterTask

Sally B.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Creativity Unleashed!

Reviewed on 06/11/2019

Sharing my goals, needs and timelines selectively with work associates, clients and friends/family helps give me focus and keep moving forward. When juggling single parenthood, full time employment and a start up business - I need a Command Station that is versatile, intuitive, has a great UX, easily integrates, is cloud-based and allows for customization. MeisterTask does it all!

Pros

It's so customizable and smooth to use! I can change icons, colors, set alerts and share information/docs really easily. The mobile app is also incredibly well-synced and makes life so much simpler when I need to check on my projects and focus on tasks at hand. Like a to-do list on steroids. Making Lifework Integration possible for me.

Cons

More people don't know it exists! It would be so nice if people understood how much this could change their lives and help them stay focused on and motivated towards their lifestyle goals.

Nahuel M.
  • Industry: Design

The best and most complete task manager

Reviewed on 15/01/2020

Pros

I really like the management of the project and the ease to use interface. Really intuitive.

Cons

Specially in the Smartphone App, it seems that you have to enter multiple times to a new task to assign a person and a deadline to that specific task. I would prefer a cleaner look to the interface.

Reasons for Choosing MeisterTask

Workep changed the user interface from one day to another and damaged my workflow with the new app. It took me several weeks and other discarded apps to finally land on Meistertask.

Reasons for Switching to MeisterTask

The user experience is everything to me. I don't need large and complex apps. I want something that works and has an intuitive interface. And MeisterTask does the Job perfectly.
Phung N.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Collaboration Task tools must have

Reviewed on 11/03/2021

Pros

Very easy to collaboration with team mate, interface clean and beautifull

Cons

Too expensive for SME or small team need to have a good tools to work before become big company

Trello and monday.com

Reasons for Switching to MeisterTask

It's free for personal use

Response from Meister

Hi Phung,
Thank you for your review.

Our free plan is add-free and offers the option of creating up to three projects. Developing and maintaining our website and apps is however costy and at the moment it is not viable to provide all features for free, we hope for your understanding.
We however appreciate your feedback.

Have a great day,

Murteza Z.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Meistertask user experience is like magic

Reviewed on 05/08/2020

It was more than my expectation. I thought Meistertask would be like most other project management tools, but once I used it, it proved me wrong, and this is the first time I'm happy because i'm proved wrong by all the hard works that has been put in building and developing and designing Meistertask.

Pros

It's pretty easy to use and you fall in love with the user experience of Meistertask. The features even in the free version are so helpful. This software has been build pragmatically.

Cons

on the low speed internet, it takes some time to lead the software

Gina G.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Excellent for simple, team-based task management

Reviewed on 12/03/2021

It's the best free tool I use in my business, and we have a team working in two locations 7 hours apart, and now remote staff in several places. We use Meistertask exclusively for task management and it works very well.

Pros

I most like that it's free. I also really like the hierarchy of creating projects, then tasks, and checklists within tasks.

Cons

The notification feature is basically useless. I would also like to be able to assign tasks to more than one person.

Response from Meister

Hi Gina,
Thank you for your review.

Sorry to hear that you find our notification feature useless, are you sure it's set up correctly on your end? You can contact our Support team directly at [email protected] as well as maybe take a closer look at this article: https://support.meistertask.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015779160-Receive-Notifications

We only allow one assignee per task, because we believe a clear assignment ensures that the job gets done. Your feedback will be however forwarded to our developers.

Kyoung rock K.

An inspirational magical tool

Reviewed on 11/02/2019

I've used about 10 collaborative tools and issue tracking tools, but I think this is the best tool ever. I think it is the best tool for all members to feel good at their tasks, in a true sense, for collaboration.

Pros

Beautiful, intuitive, and filled with essentials. I use the free version, but this is enough. My colleagues (general affairs team) was very curious, and in just a few hours everyone started using it easily.

My favorite thing is that the way I look at my work has changed slightly since I feel good even if I look at it. This means that it can be delightful to look at my to-do list.

If you use a MacBook and a Chrome browser, MeisterTask will help you imagine beautiful and cool things from the morning until you fall asleep, and it also helps you to move your inspiration into reality.

Cons

There have been occasional slowdowns when there are more cards on the screen, but it seems to have improved a lot.

I tried to develop a system that integrates with this, but I'm frustrated by the reality that it can not be developed as beautiful as this.

Enrico M.

Great tool for hobby, small and big projects!

Reviewed on 19/02/2021

I'm taking care of the development of my own product and never lose a task.

Pros

Great user interface, easy to use, easy customization and great categorization tools for tasks

Cons

It would be great to have a better search engine: its' sometimes difficult to sort tasks and move them from lane to lane. A sort of "jump to" feature in case of tens of tasks would be great.

Jira

Easy to use, free tier.
Kyle H.

Brilliant Application

Flawless

Pros

this products ease of use and tracking is brilliant and it saves me all the time

Cons

The pricing as i am in south africa and the conversion to rand is really high

Response from Meister

Hi Kyle,
Thank you for your review.

Sorry to hear the pricing is too high for you and your team!
If you happen to have a NGO/non-profit status, or if any of your employees has a teacher/student status, you can apply for our non-profit or academic discount and purchase your licenses from the account that has been whitelisted for the discount :) You can get in touch with us directly at [email protected]

Maria K.

Very good and easy software for task managing

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

It is easy and simple to use, which saves time, compared to similar software solutions. I use it for all my work tasks. Being a project manager, and having the responsibility for managing 10-12 projects, it is a must to have a software that can contain all my tasks where I have the possibility to add my own tags, which makes it easy for me to get a quick overview of all my projects. I could not do my job without this software.

Pros

Cons

so far I have non cons in mind

Ma. louren C.

A Visually Soothing Task Management Solution

Reviewed on 22/08/2018

Pros

I am working remotely for a foreign company and having something like a virtual task board helps in managing, assigning, and tracking task progress.

I like that it is visually stunning as it is customizable. It creates a relaxing work environment that helps me become more productive.

Also, we can create pre-defined checklists for recurring/repetitive tasks.

It has integrations too on software/applications we use which are really helpful like slack, bitbucket, two of which we frequently use.

Out of all the task management app I tried, I like this one the most because of aesthetics, usability, integrations, and customizations.

Cons

Meistertask's recent update rearranged my checklist items and I can't figure out how to reorder them. So I reverted back to th previous version.

Also, I use its Android app so I can still be updated but most times I need to logout and log back in again to get it to sync.

But other than these, I love this amazing tool.

Jochem G.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Meistertask review

Reviewed on 09/03/2021

Pros

The ease with which you can add deadlines, tasks, shuffle them around.

Cons

It is a pitty that for reocurring tasks you have to have a premium account.

Response from Meister

Hi Jochem,
Thank you for your review.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed about automations being enabled for paid accounts only!
At the moment developing and maintaining our apps costs a lot and it is unfortunately not viable for us to offer all features for free, we hope for your understanding.

Joshua M.
  • Industry: Machinery

Incredible Software

Reviewed on 27/10/2019

Launching a business would have been incredibly difficult. MeisterTask allows the team to communicate from various locations, and manage outstanding items for follow up. My life as a first time business leader has been much more enjoyable with these services.

Pros

This platform allows me to keep my team on task - With so many moving parts in the startup world, having one program allowing oversight in an incredible advantage.

Cons

There really are none in my experience. So far the program is intuitive, the interface looks great, and signing my team up was a breeze. Absolutely rockstar job done by the MeisterTask team!

David H.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

a tidy task manager

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

very positive - good communication & support. glitches fixed quickly.

Pros

web based & stable too; integrates with Mindmeister mindmapping tool; integrates with toggl timer; integrates with Google calendar via IFTTT; task search capabilities; decent android phone app too; any glitches (there's not been many - see cons) are sorted quickly - support staff are good & knowledgeable about the product; template checklist capability is great too

Cons

not much; the odd glitch - parts of the task window going blank then reappearing - sorted quickly (more likely a hardware/driver issue this end); pasting checklist items from a text document used to be easy - then it wasn't - now it's easy again. like i said - not much wrong.

Koya O.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Meistertask is top level project management tool

Reviewed on 08/08/2020

For having a mobile version of meistertask I would give a thumbs up. I can still stay upto date on the current states of running projects. I can participate and share resources with my team. Also it's easy to track progress and time each task for quick performance from each team member. It's a great tool and platform to work in.

Pros

Mister task gives the ability to view currently gunning projects and manage tasks accordingly. It is a tool for full team collaboration and resource sharing. The dashboard offers quick access to tools and features at a glance. Availability of mobile app is of great help.

Cons

The dashboard often look crowded and bulky at first glance. Too much information seems to be popping out of the screen. It's also a bit expensive compared to other platforms.

Tilmann W.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Everything can be held in this tool

Reviewed on 05/01/2019

We have a big project, an up to 6 people are working on it. As the projectmanager I can use it as a mainboard to have an overview what has to be done, and with drag and drop I can put it on top ore more down like the actuall imprtance to my tasks oder to sombody in the group.
Also I can see what are the employes are doing when they notice in the task.

Pros

It is easy to set a task and more easy to drop it to somebody who gets the responsibility, but you still has an look on the things that are be done.
You can fill the tasks with different lists, and every step that was done is stored.

Cons

There is a big button right on top to the left side that is used to finish the task ( in german. Abschliessen) mostly I like to push it when I want to leave the task to go to an other. For that you have to use the small cross on the right side. This you use much more often an should be bigger, then the finishbutton, that is to be used once.